Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
infinity war was good, action packed fun. guardians of the galaxy were so out of their league here and it showed. peter quill was the typical stupidfuck asshole idiot except it doesnt work like in the standalone movies because here u cant win through stupid coincidences to a certain extent this alos applies to dr strange iron man spider man, all their jokes seriously fell flat for me. especially peters self aware pop culture references. jfc

also: too many dumbshit sacrifice me or them moments. vision and wanda both sucked as characters and had 0 fucking chemistry. at least the moment where thanos reverses time to get the mind stone was dope. also ebony maw fight was literally an anime (this is a good thing though)

e: another big problem for me was power creep in marvel movies starting to show, black widow and cap did nothing here lol, and it makes sense too bc theyre just moderately strong ppl while thor is fucking goku blue at this point. in the same fashion, corvus glaive and proxima midnight and cull obsidian all felt like total jobbers

double e: i know im just listing negs. but yeah overall it was a really fun bombastic popcorn event.

Last edited:

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
e: another big problem for me was power creep in marvel movies starting to show, black widow and cap did nothing here lol, and it makes sense too bc theyre just moderately strong ppl while thor is fucking goku blue at this point.
yeah, captain america's niche among legit superheroes is usually his military expertise, but like lol this film is so overloaded that he doesn't even get that (black panther has more expertise AND knows the terrain/army so cap is obsolete here).

overall, the film executed the unhappy ending reasonably well. The time trick was a clever plot twist (though not entirely hard to see coming) to bring it about, and I'm willing to give the writers enough credit to assume that Dr Strange saw that the only scenario where they could ultimately beat Thanos involved giving him the Time Stone, although I have a personal distaste for any oracles as plot devices because of the obvious causality paradoxes that even superhero films can't ignore I reckon. However, it really annoyed me that so many of the superheroes were getting bodied by Thanos's henchmen. Sort yourselves out lol - the writers should've brought in more supervillains to balance things out.

Dr Strange/Iron Man was awesome, he's the ying to Stark's yang that I've been craving all along. Captain America sucks - he's only opposite to Tony in terms of strategy and approach and he's not nearly as powerful. Dr Strange/Iron Man are perfect opposites in personality: hedonistic asshole vs monk. One uses magic, the other uses technology (inb4 the Arthur C Clarke quote). And power-wise they're fairly equivalent: portals alone are fucking OP.
Having someone so powerful without the penchant for theatre that literally every other superhero has was incredibly refreshing. (Iron Man is the worst, Thor is pretty bad for this too, Captain America has nothing to gloat about, etc etc)

Speaking of Iron Man, nanotech was a really neat way to ramp his power up. He could create hammers, laser arrays, shields, and I wanted more. I wanted him to create a fucking dyson sphere and roast Thanos with the power of a star, and use self-replicating nanomachines to heal his suit on the fly. Since he survived anyway, they could've taken this all the way to 11.

Also fucking wew, Wanda Maximoff came out of nowhere. I did notice the lampshading when Okoye quipped "where was she all the time".

Hulk was a yawnfest. They always nerf him and usually it's understandable because he is completely indestructible, but a fully-powered Thanos could've given him a run for his money at the end, and actually give us a good Hulk fight.

Thor and the whole forge scene had me like wow. And Groot was the perfect addition to the axe scene, bringing the aww factor in as dessert to the might great steak of the cock of god being forged.

overall:
MVP: Dr Strange
runners-up: Thor, Iron Man

LVP: Captain America (proof that beards do not grant special powers)
runner-up: Hulk

Last edited:
I didn't mind the oversaturation of heroes or the pacing, I'm just happy the Avengers finally got a villain they deserved so that climactic fights could involve real characters instead of faceless armies.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Top Gun (1986) 7/10
This movie is so definitely 80s that I don't even know what genre it is. An action movie without much action? A war movie without a real war? It seems more of a romance than anything for the first half. It's too dumb to be a drama. Great soundtrack in theory but I didn't like all the elevator music versions of the pop songs made for the movie.

Carol (2015) 5/10
Moving on from one really gay movie to another. Carol seems like it might be really interesting when the issue of a custody battle comes up, but it really doesn't go anywhere. Struggled between giving this a 5 or a 6. It's a fine movie, but it's not for me.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) 9/10
I didn't think it was the best Marvel movie, but what do I know, it's sitting at #9 on the IMDB Top 250. Definitely impressive and very enjoyable for all the things it has to do, but I do believe the plot is stretched thinner than a great movie's would be. And Thanos is a pretty good villain, but his philosophy is stupid. Earth for one had half its current population only 40 years ago, but people starved and had poor standards of living throughout all of history. In the global scheme of things, Thanos's actions would do nothing except possibly knock America off of the top superpower slot. But there is one thing that really elevates the film. For as much as I tout the beneficial nature of continuity to the MCU, this is the first movie where I immediately wanted to know what happens next.

Drive Angry (2011) 8/10
This kind of movie is exactly why I sift through so many shitty Nic Cage films. It's a CGI nightmare full of one-liners and plot holes. The story is hammy as fuck. And I wouldn't it any other way, because where else would you get scenes like this or a scene where Nic Cage has an entire gun fight while mid-coitus? It's somehow not the Cageyist Cage film, but I think only because the cheese partly bled out of him and into every other actor and aspect of production. Amber Heard is stunning.

Witness (1985) 4/10
This is Harrison Ford's only best actor nomination. So I thought the film would be less mediocre. It starts with a murder investigation, ends with a gun fight, but in the whole middle there's no interaction between the protagonist and the villains at all. It's not thrilling. It's not mysterious. It's not romantic. None of the scenes with the Amish are worth giving a shit about or advance anyone's lack of character.

Gentleman's Agreement (1947) 8/10
I keep thinking these old forgotten best picture winners are eventually going to become a pain to finish watching and I keep being disappointed. Very interesting premise here. Journalist writing a series on antisemitism goes under cover as a Jew. It could have explored the concept a lot more than it did, but it does have a ton of incredibly quotable lines that are still incredibly applicable to modern race relations.

The Lost Bladesman (2011) 2/10
Being a big fan of Guan Yu did not make this film better than its mediocre reputation, it only made it so much more baffling. It has scenes so baffling I can't even describe them. Like Guan Yu breaking his horse's neck to launch off of it to cut an enemy down. If you don't know what I mean, I don't think the directors knew what they meant to do either. This film treats horses like JoJo treats dogs... and wait a minute... where the fuck is Red Hare, Guan Yu's famous horse? Where is Xiahou Dun, the primary antagonist of the original story? Why does his signature weapon get broken after one fight? The sheer laziness of the film can best be illustrated by Bian Xi using a flail (a western weapon) instead of the awesome comet hammer. But then we don't get to see that fight anyway.

Emperor Xian is straight up evil for some reason, which makes Guan Yu look like an idiot for not joining Cao Cao in order to rebel in favor of the Emperor. This film is just plain Cao Wei propaganda, and I know some people who would say that's fine, that almost everything else is Shu-Han propaganda, but it's a movie about Shu-Han's greatest hero!!! And those are just the subplots I understood. Half the film was just nonsense, especially everything involving the shoehorned love interest. Donnie Yen doesn't resemble Guan Yu at all, but then neither does the writing. And scenes where he kills a ton of guys while unarmored (and sometimes barely armed) are just so boring.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Infinity war's box office scares me. Maybe I'll see Dr. Strange 2 but this really summed up the entire marvel experience in the most marvel marvel movie yet, and I'm out. The only way to break Disney's stranglehold on Hollywood is to stop encouraging them.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Changing how I rate movies. Merging my 2/3 ratings and splitting my 9 ratings. This means most films will have a lower rating than they used to have. I consider a 5-6 to be worth watching, while a 7 or higher is worth rewatching.

The Lost Weekend (1945) 2/10
Somehow I'm still watching Billy Wilder movies, and he still has a talent for making movies much more boring than they ought to be. With an ample collection of good old films under my belt now, I really see no excuse for this.

The Lovely Bones (2009) 4/10
Aka Ghosts Don't Matter. Wanted to like this. It has great production and a cast of some of my favorite actresses of all time. But once the girl dies the plot just gets so stupid and "mystical". It's not supposed to make sense or have any kind of payoff because the "people she left behind got on well" but not really.

My Girl (1991) 6/10
Technically a rewatch since I loved this movie as a kid, but I didn't really remember much about it. It's very artificially saccharine but definitely does a good job of it.

Going My Way (1944) 5/10
Interesting enough premise with likable characters, but so many sub plots that it drags the movie down. Forced conflict in the last 10 minutes does nothing for it either.

Perfect Blue (1997) 6/10
My first Satoshi Kon movie and won't be my last, but it didn't blow me away. I loved all the times it legitimately confused me as to what was real and what wasn't, but given that, the revelation as to what was going on felt like a let down. It just really doesn't explain everything. And in spite of the movie being a pretty spot on critique of idol culture and the objectification of female stars, all the real world problems just seem to get solved when the killer is caught.

another big problem for me was power creep in marvel movies starting to show, black widow and cap did nothing here lol, and it makes sense too bc theyre just moderately strong ppl while thor is fucking goku blue at this point
well even without the infinity gauntlet, thanos could have just one shotted everyone, its just weird how they are so casually "touching thanos"
but thats movies for ya, i dont think they even consider stuff like power creep etc

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Cap and Black Widow took on Proxima Midnight along with Falcon, and sent her packing. Likeeeee? How many times does Black Widow have to have a scene where she tanks solo aggro from these hyper powered Alien superpowered up behemoths and repeatedly be a ridiculous dodge tank with a hyper high AC before people realize she’s actually ridiculously competent?

And yeah there’s not a lot of heed paid to power creep sure because the power of the Superhero has always been their heart and their interminable force of will that’s what makes them compelling stories.

Movie: “Watch out they’re faced with an impossible task how will they respond??? Will they band together and steal a victory from certain defeat?”

Me, an intellectual: *fan reaction voice* wow so OP no attention to power creep at all *the point quietly sailing 5 feet above my head*

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I really like this channel and I liked the video he did on Infinity War. This is kind of why I wished the Thanos / Tony Stark comparison was addressed more; I find it so apt. They both are trying to take responsibility for something that is a bit too big for them. And if you buy that Ultron is basically a caricature of Tony Stark's psyche, his huge ambitions of saving the world paired with his total naivete reflect on Tony as well. (On a side note, I feel that Age of Ultron is extremely underrated and both Civil War and Infinity War would have been a lot better if they referenced it more.)

And Thanos respects him for that. As the video points out, he's the only one of the cast that Thanos doesn't treat like a child that needs to be told what's good for him. In the end, it's really a compassionate father vs. an authoritarian father. The heroes could've stopped Thanos at a few points, if they were just willing to let go of a few loved ones. Thanos does do that when he kills Gamora, and in the end their willingness or unwillingness to do that is what separates them.

On another note I found this funny website that determines if you were killed by the Infinity Gauntlet snap or not at the end of the movie. Sadly, I'm dead.

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Not a great week for movies!

Valley Girl (1983) 4/10
Nic Cage's first movie (well, other than Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but he's credited as Friend there). I may be alone in thinking the odd valley girl here and there is endearing (Jubilee is a top 5 X-Men), but a bunch of them? No thanks. Nic Cage does a pretty good job at least. Some people will like this film because of how stupid an 80s movie it is, but I this is a side of the 80s worth forgetting.

Mrs. Miniver (1942) 3/10
I loved Their Finest enough that afterwards I wanted to see the fake film The Nancy Starling myself. And in spite of being an American movie, this is about as close as we get to that (the house from this shares the name with the boat from Their Finest). So it's a shame that this film about drumming up support for the war effort is so fixated on first world problems. Even probably the first trope subversion that I know of in film doesn't save this from being a rightly rather forgotten best picture winner.

Mulholland Drive (2001) 3/10
Aka what the fuck is going on at any time in this movie the movie. Early on in the film there is a 15 minute sequence where a man in a diner talks to his psychiatrist about a nightmare he had twice about a scary face out in the alleyway, so they head to the alleyway and get attacked by a cavemen. These characters are never important again. Scenes like this are apparently here because this was supposed to be a TV show and it got rejected. So David Lynch basically put it into theaters unfinished and people give it a pass because it's "open to interpretation". No, once you've looked into it, it's pretty clearly just a worse Once Upon a Time in America. Watch that film instead. You can figure out what the 100 different dumb things in the movie are metaphors for, but that doesn't make it a good film.

Fear and Desire (1953) 2/10
Having seen all of Kubrick's "proper" films, it was pretty impressive that they were all at least worth watching. And then you have his forgotten first two films, an hour long each, so do they even qualify? Apparently they do. But this shouldn't be rated against actual movies. It should be rated against student films. The dialogue is terrible. The story is pretentious. The acting is just god awful. I guess it's well shot and maybe that's all that really mattered as far as Kubrick's future prospects, but it's hard to be certain when the only copy I could find was some of the grainiest, shittiest film I've ever seen. My copy of Inchon is better. Really unsure if I should be giving this a 1/10.

How Green Was My Valley (1941) 3/10
Spoiler: Not very green. Pretty sure this is remembered more as a book than a movie. It reminds me a lot of John Ford's poor adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath. Maybe that's because they were both made by John Ford and only a year apart. But at least that film was believably American. This version of Wales is even less believable than Mrs. Miniver's England. At least I think that film had an English person or two in it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Gintama: The Movie (2010) 4/10
I've seen worse anime movies from better franchises. But given that this is supposed to be an adaptation (and none too shortened) of one Gintama's best arcs, it really shows just how little I care about this anime. It's okay at times but still fails to be funny a lot.

Leaving Las Vegas (1995) 9/10
Even though I've only seen half of his films, I'd be really hard-pressed to imagine a better Nic Cage film than this. It's the one to show everyone who doesn't understand how great an actor he is. Not because he acted so much better to get his Oscar here, but because he acted the same as he always does. 5/5 on the Cage Meter. But when the movie that's being made gives as much of a shit as this one does (the literal suicide note of its writer), you need an actor that gives a shit as much as Cage does. It's when he acts overwhelming well in shitty movies that you get a sense of cognitive dissonance that turns people off.

Malaise is so hard to capture in a film without being boring, but I cared so much more about the characters here than in something like Lost in Translation that it worked out really well.

You Can't Take It with You (1938) 7/10
A bizarre mess at first but everything really comes together in the second act. I feel like Frank Capra is not technically as good as Hitchcock or Chaplin, but there's always something fundamentally good about the stories he chooses.

Deadpool 2 (2018) 8/10
I appreciate the more ambitious plot this time, and I definitely appreciated getting Ricky Baker to be such a major character. He's basically only mentioned in the trailers but steals a lot of the movie. I'm not sure I thought it was as funny this time to be honest. A friend argues this kind of humor just isn't that funny a second time, so maybe he's right. But what's really annoying is that it's the second Deadpool film in a row to have a really problematic treatment of its female lead. Spoilers: she gets killed immediately. There isn't even a joke about stuffing women in fridges, so you know it's just bad writing that the writer was too dense to even be aware of.

Ninja Scroll (1993) 5/10
Certainly well animated and interesting as a piece of anime history, but also not much of a plot. Insanely poor treatment of female lead.

End of Evangelion (1997) 2/10
I kind of like how it ended more the first time.

The Darjeeling Limited (2007) 5/10
I think it's fair to say that after this film is when Wes Anderson became a director I actually really liked. This one is just so dry. Like, a kid brutally dies partway through and it's not even for a joke.

The Life of Emile Zola (1937) 5/10
I keep expecting to get to a point of no return with these old, obscure best picture winners where it'll be like, yep, no reason to give a shit about this film anymore. But while starting slow, this is at least interesting as a bit of history. You're probably familiar with the Dreyfus Affair but I think most Americans will never have learned about it in detail. Just don't expect something too educational, as literal German Nazis censored the film from mentioning that Dreyfus was a Jew and that this was a case of antisemitism.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
vonFiedler I'm a little shocked you didn't like Darjeeling. It's probably my favorite work that Anderson created. The issues that family, brothers (sisters), and parents all share. It's a story of grief; shown with the kid dying scene but it parallels (to be fair we're not shown) that Brody's character can't save people. He was the only one there when his father died, he was the only one there when the child died, he isn't there when his wife is giving birth. He's supposed to be a character of wrong place, wrong time.

I don't know if you have any more criticism of the film, but aside from The Grand Budapest Hotel I think it's one of the more underappreciated works that he's done.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Kind of a minor thing but I am finding the Wakanda circle-jerk a little tired. It was really only the one moment, but it's a little annoying to see Black Panther's sister is just smarter than Bruce Banner and understands Vision right away. He is made of Vibranium, but still. Wasn't the whole point of Vision that nobody fully understands him, even himself? Even Ultron didn't really know what he was getting into when he made him.
Black Panther's sister (She is called Shuri, by the way) is one of the smartest humans in the universe, which is fully lore-accurate. And there is nothing strange about her knowing more than Bruce Banner. She has infinitely more experience and knowledge about Vibranium's properties than Banner+Stark who didn't know half of what the metal is capable of. She isn't concerned with "knowing" what Vision is but rather preserving his essence in the vibranium shell minus the infinity stone. It was more of technical question and she was better equipped to answer it. It's quite simple.

---

Also hot damn the movie exceeded my expectations. Don't get me wrong, this isn't Stanley Kubrick, it's still very much a superhero movie. But not just a meaningless horde beat-em-up? A final boss with actual depth? Meaningful, permanent collateral and stakes to the point of letting go of main roster characters like Spiderman, Black Panther (after that crazy record-breaking debut), and Loki?

*tips fedora*
Bravo Marvel.

Please don't pull a Justice League and revive them now. Have some balls pls pls pls. Deal with the consequences of Thanos' acts head on. No time stone/captain marvel bullshit. You might just get me to change my view about the MCU.

Make the Avengers, avenge just this once.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah hate to break it to you but there's zero chance that the characters don't get revived back into existence. just from a capitalism standpoint they'd be stupid to give up their cash cows in black panther / spiderman / doctor strange which all will get sequels before avengers 4 comes out.

More likely they'll explain away thanos' wish by some like "matter can't be created or destroyed only transfered" and retcon them into the microverse first seen in Ant-man (coincidentally also getting a sequel that will 99% take place on him visiting the microverse to free his love interest). that or the souls are in a different universe bc doctor strange already opened the mcu up to multiple universe theory.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
one can hope man. what is the internet if not for wishful thinking.
Thanos is a pretty good villain, but his philosophy is stupid.
it is, but that's the whole point then now isn't it.

Hulk was a yawnfest. They always nerf him and usually it's understandable because he is completely indestructible, but a fully-powered Thanos could've given him a run for his money at the end, and actually give us a good Hulk fight.
Said fight is obviously being saved as a climax for the two part story of Bruce Banner psychoanalysing himself in the middle of a universal cataclysm in Movie #2

the cock of god
lol

also ebony maw fight was literally an anime (this is a good thing though)
I was also thinking the same thing, especially the Dr. Strange, Peter Parker team-up bit. The saturn fight was also quite anime. It gave me serious FMA:B vibes (the father fight, but imagine father winning).

Last edited:

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Black Panther's sister (She is called Shuri, by the way) is one of the smartest humans in the universe, which is fully lore-accurate. And there is nothing strange about her knowing more than Bruce Banner. She has infinitely more experience and knowledge about Vibranium's properties than Banner+Stark who didn't know half of what the metal is capable of. She isn't concerned with "knowing" what Vision is but rather preserving his essence in the vibranium shell minus the infinity stone. It was more of technical question and she was better equipped to answer it. It's quite simple.
I get that, and I have no problem with Shuri being as smart as she is and understanding Vision because he's made of Vibranium. What I thought should confuse her more was the Mind Stone, however much of Vision it actually makes up (the movie is purposefully vague here of course). but what more bugged me that it seemed to come at the expense of Bruce Banner, he really was kind of made a clown in that moment. He is awkward in general but something like "uh we just didn't think of it" seemed a little off to me. "We had no idea we could even do that because of X, Y, Z" would have seemed more natural to me. But it was a two second throwaway line so it's not a huge deal to me.

Also hot damn the movie exceeded my expectations. Don't get me wrong, this isn't Stanley Kubrick, it's still very much a superhero movie. But not just a meaningless horde beat-em-up? A final boss with actual depth? Meaningful, permanent collateral and stakes to the point of letting go of main roster characters like Spiderman, Black Panther (after that crazy record-breaking debut), and Loki?

*tips fedora*
Bravo Marvel.

Please don't pull a Justice League and revive them now.

Have some balls pls pls pls. Deal with the consequences of Thanos' acts head on. No time stone/captain marvel bullshit. You might just get me to change my view about the MCU.

Make the Avengers, avenge just this once.
yeah hate to break it to you but there's zero chance that the characters don't get revived back into existence. just from a capitalism standpoint they'd be stupid to give up their cash cows in black panther / spiderman / doctor strange which all will get sequels before avengers 4 comes out.
We don't even need to speculate, since Black Panther 2 and Spider-Man 2 were already confirmed before this movie hit, and they specifically said Spider-Man 2 will deal with Peter trying to adjust to the world after Avengers 4 (it's coming out just 2 months after). So they're definitely coming back. There definitely will be stakes though; as many people have pointed out it's basically the phase 1 characters that are remaining. The most likely way they'll come back is via the Soul Stone, not the Time Stone, imo. The scene with Gamorra and Thanos in that "soul universe" seems to hint at that.

I think there will be permanent deaths and exits, just not the ones we saw at the end of Infinity War.

Chris Evans' contract was technically over by Infinity War, but he wanted to do Avengers 4 to finish out Cap's story (what a nice guy!) so he's likely to die here. He's made it clear he is going to be done after that. Most likely the old Avengers will find a way to use the Soul Stone to undo the deaths, but at the cost of their own lives along the way. Hawkeye and Tony might retire with their families for good (RDJ has a lot of sway with Disney so it's really a complete toss-up if he lives or dies) and the same might happen for Bruce and Natasha (some theorize that they might even cure Bruce of the Hulk somehow).

The only one I really can't explain is Thor; at this point he's almost too powerful to stay alive, and his three movies are up. But he's only recently become a fan favorite (Thor Ragnarok was a huge success and Thor arriving in Wakanda was the big fanservice highlight of the film) so I wonder if they'd really end him when he's finally hit his stride.

Characters like Loki, Heimdall, or Vision who were killed the old fashioned way I think are gone for good, though they might be able to bring Vision back. Most of the characters who were killed were really done anyway, Loki really had nowhere to go as a character at this point, and Heimdall was barely ever a character anyway. Vision always seemed too powerful to stay alive (although in Infinity War it seemed he was nerfed hard anyway).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
vonFiedler I'm a little shocked you didn't like Darjeeling. It's probably my favorite work that Anderson created. The issues that family, brothers (sisters), and parents all share. It's a story of grief; shown with the kid dying scene but it parallels (to be fair we're not shown) that Brody's character can't save people. He was the only one there when his father died, he was the only one there when the child died, he isn't there when his wife is giving birth. He's supposed to be a character of wrong place, wrong time.

I don't know if you have any more criticism of the film, but aside from The Grand Budapest Hotel I think it's one of the more underappreciated works that he's done.
A 5/10 is the minimum rating for me liking a movie, though maybe I'm being lenient. It's certainly a colorful production like the rest of his films, but something felt very lacking the whole time. Perhaps this article explains it best. Not that I was teeming with liberal rage or anything, but even though watchable, these issues easily made it his shallowest film for me. Their mother leaves them again, they put a feather under a rock, and that's supposed to be when things turn around? I don't feel it. I've got an estranged family myself and nothing in this film felt real to me. There's also the actors. I can't think of a movie where I've actually seen Adrian Brody do a good job (and Brodyquest doesn't count). It's not a coincidence that Wes Anderson's best movies were made after he stopped using Owen Wilson so much. And I don't know the third guy, and certainly won't recognize him in the future. Meaningless cameos by Bill Murray and Natalie Portman do nothing.

Porco Rosso (1992) 7/10
My last Miyazaki film. Fits in with other fun films of his like Castle in the Sky and Castle of Cagliostro. One of his wishy-washier endings, but still a good ride.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) 4/10
Personally I really liked Scott Derrickson's remake. While not perfect in its need for a big cgi monster, most of the film was very subtle and thought-provoking, with an excellent cast. The only thing that really could have hurt the remake is if it was less smart than the original, but nope, the original is just fascist nonsense. The alien spends most of the movie saying he wants to have this discussion with Earth's smartest people, then just tells them about the police state his race has enacted and that they'll blow Earth up if we don't conform to their standards. Ok.

Winter's Bone (2010) 4/10
I love Jennifer Lawrence but like a lot of actresses I'm not in a hurry to see all of her films, because by most accounts this is the only good one from her early days. And like, it's fine. She does a good job. But watching Red Sparrow earlier this year, which was probably a worse movie, still was somewhat successful at being fine. As a drama, what am I supposed to take from this? That the Ozarks suck? Also plagued by two-scene characters.

The Great Ziegfeld (1936) 2/10
Okay, now we're at the point where best pictures are forgotten for a reason. Esp coming from the age of the spectacle film. This type of movie just ages wretchedly. Think about it. I wouldn't go see a Follies. And if I wanted to see something live, I wouldn't want to see a movie recreation of it. And even by the end of the film, no one in the story wanted to see Follies anymore. And if you came for plot or character development in between the spectacle, abandon all hope. The best thing I can say about this film is that it's the last 3 hour film I need to see on this list.

Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015) 4/10
It's time we stop giving Aardman Animations a free pass. Yes, watching Wallace and Gromit, very short films, was better than doing classwork even after the 5th time the teachers showed them to us. But Chicken Run sucked. Early Man sucked. And when you see what Studio Laika is doing, how do you keep giving praise to just anyone who happens to be doing stop motion animation? I think if I had kids, this wouldn't be a terrible distraction for 80 minutes. But I'm not going in for 80 minutes of slapstick and farts.

F/SN: Presage Flower (2017) 6/10
A lot of changes in this for the sake of it being a film, and they actually work really well. The writer knew what details to hone in on and what new details to insert, probably because it's written by the guy who wrote every episode of Fate/Zero. Yes, this is better than Unlimited Blade Works. Too bad it's still just a series of movies. It never feels rushed, but as a result, it feels too slow to be a movie. And of course there's nothing here for anyone who hasn't seen UBW, as it assumes you know a lot about the basics and the first three days already (let alone someone who hasn't read the novel - read the fucking novel). Hard to say yet how censored it will be. Obviously sperm worms were out, but while there is some gore, there's already one big horror scene that got glossed over. Most unfortunately, the best scenes in this part of Heaven's Feel, Shirou's talks with Illya, are strangely absent. Probably moved to the next film, but it certainly does this one no favors. There's a lot of good here, but does it stand as a movie? No. Just give me a 6 cour show with this writer already.

Cavalcade (1933) 1/10
For some reason the copy I have of Cavalcade had an audio commentary set to play by default. And before I could turn it off, the first thing the guy said was, "This won best picture, believe it or not". I don't know how I can top that in terms of insulting this shit film.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
I get that, and I have no problem with Shuri being as smart as she is and understanding Vision because he's made of Vibranium. What I thought should confuse her more was the Mind Stone, however much of Vision it actually makes up (the movie is purposefully vague here of course). but what more bugged me that it seemed to come at the expense of Bruce Banner, he really was kind of made a clown in that moment. He is awkward in general but something like "uh we just didn't think of it" seemed a little off to me. "We had no idea we could even do that because of X, Y, Z" would have seemed more natural to me. But it was a two second throwaway line so it's not a huge deal to me.

We don't even need to speculate, since Black Panther 2 and Spider-Man 2 were already confirmed before this movie hit, and they specifically said Spider-Man 2 will deal with Peter trying to adjust to the world after Avengers 4 (it's coming out just 2 months after). So they're definitely coming back. There definitely will be stakes though; as many people have pointed out it's basically the phase 1 characters that are remaining. The most likely way they'll come back is via the Soul Stone, not the Time Stone, imo. The scene with Gamorra and Thanos in that "soul universe" seems to hint at that.

I think there will be permanent deaths and exits, just not the ones we saw at the end of Infinity War.

Chris Evans' contract was technically over by Infinity War, but he wanted to do Avengers 4 to finish out Cap's story (what a nice guy!) so he's likely to die here. He's made it clear he is going to be done after that. Most likely the old Avengers will find a way to use the Soul Stone to undo the deaths, but at the cost of their own lives along the way. Hawkeye and Tony might retire with their families for good (RDJ has a lot of sway with Disney so it's really a complete toss-up if he lives or dies) and the same might happen for Bruce and Natasha (some theorize that they might even cure Bruce of the Hulk somehow).

The only one I really can't explain is Thor; at this point he's almost too powerful to stay alive, and his three movies are up. But he's only recently become a fan favorite (Thor Ragnarok was a huge success and Thor arriving in Wakanda was the big fanservice highlight of the film) so I wonder if they'd really end him when he's finally hit his stride.

Characters like Loki, Heimdall, or Vision who were killed the old fashioned way I think are gone for good, though they might be able to bring Vision back. Most of the characters who were killed were really done anyway, Loki really had nowhere to go as a character at this point, and Heimdall was barely ever a character anyway. Vision always seemed too powerful to stay alive (although in Infinity War it seemed he was nerfed hard anyway).
All of this makes sense. But idk Thor really has nowhere to go from here. No Asgard, no loki. His independent universe is non-existent. It would be like trying to make a Black Panther movie without Wakanda and its supporting cast. He is a ghost with no home nor future. By your logic Thor is a prime candidate to die. Tony should also die as a way of atoning for all the havoc he unwittingly wreaked on earth. Bringing spidey back to like should be a good motivator. I see no reason for any of the original avengers to stick around. Clint never made sense even in movie 1, and is even more superfluous now with fucking wizards and shit floating around. Capt. America looks like a goner yeah. Maybe Natasha lives (if Marvel is still working on their long-forgotten promise of giving her a solo film) and Hulk, because he really hasn't been explored at all since the ed norton movie. Other than that it'll be OG avengers mano-a-mano.

Predicting swivel-pan shot omage in movie 2 of the iconic assemble avengers shot from movie 1 if indeed Marvel pussies the fuck out.

Hulavuta

Soul Fly yeah, but I look at it two ways, both what would make sense in the story and what would be a good business decision. RDJ might not want to let go of the franchise yet and Disney might not be totally confident to let him go either (after all, every MCU movie in the billion-dollar club has starred or co-starred him).

I wouldn't say Thor has nowhere to go either since (if I recall correctly) half of his people are still alive, I think it was confirmed that most of the side characters of Thor Ragnarok, like Korg, Valkyrie, Skurge etc., got out in the escape pods (though I would have found the opening scene more effective if they were among the dead, tbh). I do think he's a bit too powerful to be a lead character at this point though; and he's kind of done growing. But again, he's recently become a huge fan favorite so from a business standpoint they might want to keep him around. Maybe have him fly off and make a new Asgard and only cameo every once in a while? who knows

From what I understand, they can't make a Hulk solo movie because Universal would have to be the distributor (the original MCU Hulk movie was made before the Disney acquisition). So that's why they kinda combined his story with Thor for Ragnarok, etc. And I think a Black Widow movie would be a flashback, like how she redeemed herself and joined S.H.I.E.L.D.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Killer's Kiss (1955) 3/10
My last Stanley Kubrick movie. It's something of an improvement over his first film. It doesn't seem like a student film at least. But it's not very good either. A film noir with about as much plot as any other, only in a fraction of the screentime. Doesn't do much for me though. For a film noir about a boxer, you think he'd at least punch somebody at some point in the climax. Even The Exorcist got that right.

Grand Hotel (1932) 3/10
Something of an early Capraesque film (it even has John Barrymore), but too scattered in terms of its cast and plot.

Jackie Brown (1997) 5/10
Technically a rewatch. I didn't enjoy this as a kid, but I thought it was possible that it was just too sophisticated for me at the time. Nope. It's just easily Quentin Tarantino's least ambitious film. Not a stellar performance out of De Niro either.

Cimarron (1931) 5/10
Better than I expected. Cimarron is one of the least liked Oscar winners, even less remembered than its 1960 remake. But it's an easy enough Western to watch with an incredibly badass main character. It's treatment of minorities is questionable at times (is questionable the right word when a black boy is introduced hanging from the ceiling fanning a group of white people?), but this is a 1930s movie about the late 1800s. It should be lauded for how progressive it was for its time (supporting Indian and women's rights, trying to show respect towards black and Jew characters), not hated for the missteps we see in it today.

Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) 2/10
I really expected the series to pick up here after the last two shitty films. And while this is a bit better, and I knew to expect all the goofy shit, I could not expect just how much of the movie was humans putzing around, or just how fucking bad the fights would be. Not a fan of Mothra at all. Hopefully Ghidora steps things up.

Yo me and my #ClubMoviePass friends went and saw Upgrade and it was hilarious. This movie takes System Shock 2, eXistenZ and Death Wish, throws it in a blender and hits the puree switch. Probably the best B-movie I've seen in years.

HIGHLY recommend Hereditary to anyone that considers themself a fan of horror films in any capacity. It’s nearly perfect, only change I’d make is cutting a few minutes from the 1st half. It’s a seriously oppressive, unsettling experience and I freaking loved it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)