Jellicent

Well the thing is that Shed Shell gives you nothing if there are no Dugtrio, Shanderaa or Gochiruzeru in the other team, while Leftovers or even a Lum Berry are just more usefull to his role.

I cant do specific calcs very well, but if Boiling Water fails to 2HKO Shanderaa, (1st hit on switch in) then you might wanna try out Surf or just a lil more offensive EV spread.

Dugtrio should be no problem at all since it relies on Choice Band to get KO's and if you bait his Sucker Punch, you can outstall with Toxic or burn. Besides that I dont think Dugtrio enjoys a water stab to the face on a switch in anyway.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Thing is though, this is flawed. If you could just recover stall anyway, why is the opponent staying in and not switching to a counter?
If you cant recover stall it out, then you are relying on cursed bodies random acitvation chance. No thanks. I'll sitck with the consistant free recovery of water abosorb.
But then you used recover and can just switch it back in again the next time that same pokemon is used.

That is how countering a pokemon works.

And its not like its all that fragile, there isnt too much that is going to be able to OHKO this thing..

Have a nice day.

Just a thought but does Cursed Body activate with Subs?

If it did something like this would be absolutely disgusting.

Burunkeru@Leftovers
Calm, 252 HP, 252 S.Def, 4 S.atk
-Substitute
-Recover
-Boiling Water
-Taunt

This thing would be horrendously evil, hiding behind 101HP subs with a 1/3rd chance of Disabling your attack, reliable recovery and a chance of burning + STAB. If they try to use your stalling as a excuse to setup taunt them. You'd be damned if you dont attack and damned if you do.

I so want to test the Sub + Cursed Body combination, but I have no idea how to get a Substitute TM on Black/White. ):

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This thing is awesome! One of the best Blaziken counters in the game by far. It's got an excellent typing and it's defenses are pretty damn good. Access to recover is a definite plus. (IIRC he's the only viable ghost that can)

Edit: No it doesn't. Blaziken DOES however get T-punch, although it's definitely not strong enough to take him out.

Blaziken doesn't get Grass Knot right? So yeah, Burunkeru will be our savior against the fast chicken!

Sableye is crying right now. ):
I think Blaziken would like to introduce you to a move called Shadow Claw. I see your point though. I'm definitely considering Burunkera for a team slot.

I think Blaziken would like to introduce you to a move called Shadow Claw. I see your point though. I'm definitely considering Burunkera for a team slot.
Well, is it worth giving up a precious moveslot just for Shadow Claw?

Thinking about it, if both Blaziken and Burunkeru become popular, that could be a pretty viable option.

I don't foresee Blaziken being a problem to Burunkeru. It may be faster, but the only thing that could possibly take Burunkeru down that is common in most Blaziken sets is Thunderpunch. But with Burunkeru's defenses, it can survive long enough to knock out Blaziken AND Disable Thunderpunch with the Cursed Body ability. However, Sharpedo is a problem. Not because it's the only other Gen 3 Pokemon to get the Speed Boost ability, but a lot of it's attacks are mostly Dark Type. Sharpedo can learn moves like Crunch and Night Slash, and with all of them getting a STAB bonus, that'll create some big problems for Burunkeru.

And to the people who said a few pages back that Damp on Burunkeru is redundant, it's only redundant for Single Battles, which is how Shoddy is mainly run. But from a Double/Triple battle standpoint, Burunkeru protects your allies who don't resist Explosion (as that's used more) by nulling it out entirely. So in Single Battles, it's not needed, but for everything else, it's fine.

Id prolly use Taunt/Wisp/Recover/Boiling water.

Burn the crap out of foe defensive Pokemon then Taunt their recovery at the same time stopping Grass/Steel dude setting up Spikes on you. :] Heck i might even give it 208 speed to beat Suicune since this guy DOES wall the crap out of CroCune and can Taunt and burn it to outstall it. I also love how this guy walls the heck out of MixApe too with just minimal sp.def evs lol.

Overall though im really the most pumped about this guy. Definately seems to be the best Spin blocker this gen as the others are either SR weak, have no recovery or other problems. Its a great addition to stall.

Id prolly use Taunt/Wisp/Recover/Boiling water.

Burn the crap out of foe defensive Pokemon then Taunt their recovery at the same time stopping Grass/Steel dude setting up Spikes on you. :] Heck i might even give it 208 speed to beat Suicune since this guy DOES wall the crap out of CroCune and can Taunt and burn it to outstall it. I also love how this guy walls the crap out of MixApe with just minimal sp.def evs lol.

Overall though im really the most pumped about this guy. Definately seems to be the best Spin blocker this gen as the others are either SR weak, have no recovery or other problems. Its a great addition to stall.
The problem with Taunt + Will-o-Wisp is the possible prediction involved. Nattorei's Power Whip does a shit load to this guy, and if you Taunt first turn they might knock you out. If you Will-o-Wisp, they might get another layer of Spikes or set up Stealth Rock. Still, Taunt is a great move. No point in investing in speed, who cares if it uses Rest before you Taunt? It's still not doing shit with Surf (Water Absorb :3), and it will be forced to sleep or switch.

This guy pairs so well with Nattorei, it's not even funny. Together, they resist Bug, Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Fire, Ghost, Grass, Ice, Normal, Poison, Psychic, Rock, Steel, and Water. Basically, everything but Flying and Ground. Throw in a Zapdos with Roar and Heat Wave for troublesome Pokemon like Scizor and Lucario, and you have a solid defensive trio. Oh yeah, this guy spin blocks the hazards Nattorei sets up too :D.

Btw guys, Blaziken w/ThunderPunch + Speed Boost is illegal (Gen IV tutor).

I would use Night Shade over Shadow Ball on the support set. Gives good damage without any SpAtk investment.
Exactly, plus you can hit Steel types with it for a solid 100 without bothering about their resistance.

It's the final version from what I've done in the last page.

DoubleTrouble
Burunkeru @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: Investment in HP & Defenses (If you're asking, then yes. I'm confused with the distribution.)
- Will-O-Wisp / Safeguard / Boiling Water
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Recover

SubStatus
Burunkeru @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: Investment in HP & Defenses
- Substitute
- Night Shade
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Basically, these sets take use of the supportive move-poll Burunkera has along with its stats. EVs will be focused on HP, Def, SpD, as there is no need to boost the SpAtk if you're not running a Stab move. Item of choice will be Leftovers. W-O-W is to cripple Steel, as Toxic counters the Fire types and everything that isn't immune to it. Safeguard is there as a different option if you want to avoid status moves yourself. Night Shade is a must, as well as Recover.

The second set is the same but instead of Safeguard you have Substitute. The ability preferred is Cursed Body since it can pair very well with Substitute & Recover. Night Shade is permanent.

^ You know, the above SubStatus set has me really curious: Would Cursed Body still activate if the Substitute is hit and defeated?

Well, cursed body is pretty sweet, as is water absorb. I mean if you can stall out there super effective move on a choiced mon.... It mostly a nuisance but if it is slowly going down, it could help a lot.

I don't understand the hype of this thing. It has more weaknesses than other bulky waters and it's not like it's super bulky or anything.

I think this is one of the most overrated Pokemon of this generation.

What no one has said yet is-who can he pair up with?

Let's see, weak to electric, ghost, grass, and dark...

perhaps one of the many steel/bug types out there?

But then you used recover and can just switch it back in again the next time that same pokemon is used.

That is how countering a pokemon works.

And its not like its all that fragile, there isnt too much that is going to be able to OHKO this thing..

Have a nice day.
I'm like a day late responding to this, but whatever. Everything you said hipmonlee is true, but i could do the same thing with water absorb, and get my free recovery from water moves. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, tbh.

I don't understand the hype of this thing. It has more weaknesses than other bulky waters and it's not like it's super bulky or anything.

I think this is one of the most overrated Pokemon of this generation.
I hardly think it's overhyped at least not on this thread. Perhaps on other forum it's getting too much hype or something (I wouldn't know) but I don't see to much that I would call hype here (compare this thread to the Blazekin thread to see what hype looks like, not to say Blaz might not deserve his hype).

Anyway, I don't think his weaknesses are that bad. It gains a Dark and Ghost weakness and gains Bug resistance (U-turn), Poison resistance (meh), and Normal/Fighting Immunity. Frankly I think its Ghost/Water typing isn't much worse then pure Water.

Also looking at his defensive stats hes a 100/70/105 is which is plenty bulky special defense wise (just a little less then Suicune), has Recover, and it is outright immune to one of the more common physical attack types. Of course it's not as good a pure physical wall (though 100/70 isn't that bad and Will-O-Wisp can help a bit) but no one says you need to use it as a physical wall if you're worried about his physical defense. Just have him be a mixed (since most mix have Fighting as their main physical attack type) and special wall.

No one has mentioned that pairing this thing with Nutre will probably become a common pairing if stall is still viable in gen V. It's pretty much a celetran combination because if i'm not mistaken they resist each other's weaknesses perfectly. On top of this they also have perfect synergy in what they do, Nutre sets up spikes and Burunkeru spin blocks, it's like they were design to be used together.

Eh actually I think the Nattorei + Burunkeru combo has been mentioned multiple times throughout this forum already. Type-wise they have good synergy, but they are still exposed to stuff like LO Sazando and Shanderaa.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Burunkeru + Nuttre has been mentioned, but I would like to emphasise what it means for stall. Stall gains a good entry hazard user + A good spinblocker which is a bulky water all in one. This should help stall immensely this Generation.

Could a Burunkeru+Nuttre+Heatran(Dragon Pulse) work? It eliminates the Sazando problem. Shadow Tag Shanderaa doesn't really seem couterable to me(for stall at least) unless you're willing to run Shed Shell on everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)