League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

i am debating the pros and cons of playing AP top lane udyr and building something like tear->nashor's->archangel->lich bane

pros:
-fuckin' awesome

cons:
-

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
He has a 1 second melee stun, which is just long enough for him to get 1-2 attacks in. Or better yet, for his team to catch up. On the other hand, he can't even hope to catch Ahri, whose 35% slows cancels out his 35% ms boost, and is on a lower cd. If she's not being stunned, and not being destroyed by Udyr's team, then she is still capable of moving, which is literally the definition of mobility. Please stop being purposefully retarded. Anyone who has played to 30 should be well aware that champs have things called kits, which is to say the cohesive combination of traits and abilities that lend to a certain niche or play style. To dumb it down for you, a combination of escapes, moves without cast time, kiting-friendly cc, these make Ahri a highly mobile champion, just like how the combination of pounce, her passive, her traps, and a heal, make Nidalee good at escaping, which, by nature, makes her also good at split-pushing. See LoL is a bit too complex like that to start pigeon-holing abilities into singular uses, like some two-year learning his fucking alphabet "that one's an A mommy, and that's a B, and that's CC". Did I mention that her W has no cast-time and doesn't have to be aimed, meaning you lose no mobility while using it? If it didn't work with Rylai's at all it'd still be a mobility-friendly move by nature.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
What happened between now and 2011 that we started sucking the dicks of people like Masterful?
Oh man, my jimmies sure have been rustled. Why, I've been trolled so hard that I'm talking in a LoL thread, on the topic of a champ in LoL! A champ I've talked at length about before jeb was even a member. A champ I've said the same things about before. It all just seemed to bear repeating for some reason. Hmm.

Actually, I've kind of missed this thread.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Well Zac is a tank right?

If you really want to force a segue, can we talk about how butthurt I am that Singed lost his CC reduction? All my favorite champs tend to get nerfed a ton, but this one really stings.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
then she is still capable of moving, which is literally the definition of mobility. Please stop being purposefully retarded.
First: Get off your high horse with your ad hominem attacks. You're getting trolled and it makes you buttmad and is spinning you into this vitriolic storm, and that's all well and good, but his points, while delivered in a fantastically facetious manner, are not incorrect in the slightest.

Second: You are not a mobile champion in the game just because you get to move. That literally defeats the entire point of categorizing IF THE CATEGORY IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS.

So let's get actual definitions out of the way so that we can actually talk about the game in a reasonable manner, with coherent and meaningful terms. The moniker of "mobile" is given to champions who are able to reposition themselves very rapidly (Blinks/Dashes/Speed Boosts) often with less restrictions (through terrain).

No I know you disagree with this as the definition, and instead argue that mobility in this game is defined by one's ability to move relatively more freely than your opponent, be it through CC or with Blinks/Dashes/Speed Boosts... but I'm here to tell you that you're extremely and vastly wrong. Just because you can kite someone and move faster relative to your kiting target, that does not make you more mobile. If Ashe chooses to kite an Udyr flying at her in Bear Stance, yes she is more Mobile than him, but that doesn't mean she can suddenly rapidly move herself out of the range of the Irelia diving at her as well. She is still functionally susceptible to champions who have more tactical movement capability (Or as is so coined by the people who play this game "Champions with more Mobility" as I defined it earlier).

Or in other words, the ability to kite does not make you better able to position yourself. It's like implying that a Pokemon has boosted evasion because a Hydro Pump is being fired at it. You have the general idea down but you're being way too vague about it.

Now as for your insistence that jeb is like Masterful, than I need to inform you that your ability to pick up on the difference between a troll and someone who is actually unintelligent is rather lacking. You should maybe lurk more and learn more about how things function on the internet before you start posting.

@Jebus: I played Zac earlier today, and I didn't get that feeling at all. Then again small sample size and all. What were you doing with him that made him feel lackluster?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That was one game but sure, why not. Grail is awesome on god damn everyone that uses mana and builds AP. Don't much see the point of Tear other than "he can build it quickly." Overkill mana, shield sux need more resists because he already has gobs of effective health spamming Turtle.

can we talk about how butthurt I am that Singed lost his CC reduction? All my favorite champs tend to get nerfed a ton, but this one really stings.
While they're at it, Riot should make up for it by giving him (and Shen) scaling MR per level like a large majority of other melee champions get. :chaos:

i think mre did grail pre-rework and it was pretty g. almost never died
yeah i feel like itemizing for attack speed is better though

i tried rushing tear in a bot game and it did not go well (only went like 5/4 instead of 25/4

you're waaaay too squishy early game and the AP scaling on phoenix is negligible enough that it felt like i was doing zero damage even after archangel's/nashor's

plus his early game is terrible (nowhere near as strong as battle taric's) so i think i'm scrapping AP udyr for now

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Lots of stuff
Leave it to you to actually make things personal. Did you ever stop and notice that you are usually the one who gets increasingly vitriolic with me? You have for a few months now, ever since casually remarking about some sort of vast difference of opinion we somehow always have on irc. I'll tell you again just in case, I have never had a problem with you. I mean seriously, "lurk more"? Who was on the high horse here?

As for your points which "aren't incorrect in the slightest" (yet ad hominem is a dealbreaker even when I'm making other points)

You are not a mobile champion in the game just because you get to move. That literally defeats the entire point of categorizing IF THE CATEGORY IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS.
See here's where it all comes full circle. CC, that thing everyone is getting hung up over? It stops movement. And every team has people with it. So there is in fact, a vast difference between a champ who can move and a champ who can't. It's usually the difference between living and dying. If you can reliably avoid it, you are mobile. If you can reliably avoid it without disengaging from the fight, like Ahri does, then all the better. You brought up Irelia, whose Q is a mobility option, sure. But is it so hard to realize that her passive, by reducing the duration of stuns and slows, not only helps her move around and stick on people better, but also helps her Q more because Q can't be used when stunned?

Ashe keeps getting brought up because she can kite. Well, yeah, she can, and that's a mobility option. Obv everyone knows that it alone doesn't make Ashe an amazing mobility champ, or even really an adequate one, but here's the thing; mobility is a degree. It dumbs it down to say "Here are champs with mobility, and the rest don't have it" when it's something that is routinely itemized for. You can look at Zac and say "man, that champ has a lot of CC", but that doesn't mean Sion isn't a CCer with only one CC ability. So yeah, I guess you could say it's useless to categorize it; that's not my problem. I'm not the one who has to categorize champs and abilities around here, and it's largely what I find at fault with your argument. Almost every champ has some niche, and they all have lots of little nuances with how their kits works, so once again, it's a combination of things makes her very good at being mobile. Her W, E, and R, all help out position the enemy. Her Q doesn't help, but you get the most out of its damage when you are using correct positioning. Even when her ult is down (the original question), she has options. But even if you aren't playing Ahri, or someone without blinks, dashes, speed boosts, if you aren't thinking "what are my, if limited, mobility options?", then you might find yourself dying out of position from time to time.

My favorite thing to do with Ahri is to duel Singed, cause it's honestly pretty 50/50 when both ults are down. Think about that.

Or in other words, the ability to kite does not make you better able to position yourself.
No, that's exactly what kiting is. It's being able to position yourself out of reach of the opponent. Season 1-2 leashing was similar to the origin of kiting, where one player would use speed and AI flaws to outmaneuver a mob while a friend beat on it.

It's like implying that a Pokemon has boosted evasion because a Hydro Pump is being fired at it.
That's an invalid comparison because you aren't using the hydro pump. Whether she's using her Ult or her W, Ahri is the one using her tools to suit her needs.

is playing zed vs. rumble supposed to be as difficult of a matchup as my personal experience tells me it is or am i just bad

because wingsofdeathx made it look easy on his stream (but that may just be because he's a pretty good zed)

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i dont see how it would be difficult, maybe for the first couple levels. with zeds shadow you should be able to easily out poke rumble

is playing zed vs. rumble supposed to be as difficult of a matchup as my personal experience tells me it is or am i just bad

because wingsofdeathx made it look easy on his stream (but that may just be because he's a pretty good zed)
Plus, with the new patch his ultimate no longer does large damage on impact, the first DoT tick just applies if you get hit instead. That should make it even easier.

So thoughts on Fizz?

He pretty much stomps 100% of the time in my normal ELO. (unless I play him)
Fizz is really, really good at fucking with people's minds, simply because he has so many little tricks he can do. He's got the one dash that goes through people, the other one that makes him invulnerable, the on hit that also applies on his Q...at low normal elo, people don't know all the tricks he can do, so they get rolled by one.

I think it boils down to how good you are with dodging with Living Shadow and how many times you can hit Q since that (probably) outranges Flame Spitter.

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
As Rumble versus Zed I would just run an hextech revolver for the spellvamp and then an armseeker guard, nullifying Zed's impact on my lane. You can both push really hard so it comes down to the jungler in my opinion.

Anyway, anyone playing on EUW? Or are you all on NA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)