Metagame LGPE OverUsed

Snorlax B+ to A-

Seriously man, this mon is much better than I thought, and I think it’s almost superior to Alola-Muk. With status being used widely, Facade is a NIGHTMARE to switch into. It also has similar SpA with Alola-Muk and it has Fire Blast to Melmetal (deals a LOT of damage) and Surf to Rhydon (1HKO). Also has Earthquake for Mega Gengar and Facade for everything else, 1-2HKO to everything unresisted if statuses. Also have STAB Self Destruct for an almost-guarantee to delete 1 mon. It also sponges attacks from Mega Zam with ease, the Sassy version at least, only did ~30% with Psychic.

I’ve been using Sassy with Facade, Fire Blast, Surf and Earthquake and it’s MVP in SO many matches. Might change Surf to Crunch since I barely see Rhydon anymore. And maybe Earthquake to Self Destruct.

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So I've been playing with some experimental sets on showdown to see if there are some additional counters for common plays that people don't know/aren't looking at. This team loses far more than it wins (I usually forfeit when there's no more path to a win), as a whole, but the mons themselves actually play some interesting roles. I'm dropping this out there if someone wants to spice up their team by adding one (for the sake of your sanity, don't run the whole team. I'm going to have nightmares about m-venusaur)

=== [gen7letsgoou] Experimental ===

Raticate-Alola
Impish
Ability: Gluttony
Level: 50
- Counter
- Protect
- Crunch
- Super Fang

This Pokemon is MVP on so many of my wins. It eats M-Gyarados, Dragonite, rhydon, golem, etc. for breakfast. Literally no one expects it, and if they do, they still can't block it if they didn't bring a very specific set. Counter if you think they don't see it coming, protect if you're not sure, super fang if they try to swap. It requires serious prediction (and a clean swap - Zam, Starmie or a Rocker usually work).

Hitmonlee
Ability: Limber
Jolly
- Bulk Up
- Rock Slide
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake

This guy can be useful, but rarely is a game-winner. He's difficult to bring it and very specially frail. He does hit pretty hard, and nothing in the meta really likes swapping into him.

Chansey
Calm
Ability: Natural Cure
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Just a standard Chansey.

Kingler
Adamant
Ability: Hyper Cutter
- Agility
- Substitute
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide

Specifically counters Aero+Zapdos. Turn one, use agility (they'll use rocks). Turn two, use substitute. If they stay in, you probably keep your sub and kill an aero. If they swap to Zapdos, it loses to rock slide (you'll lose your sub). If aero carries taunt, it wins, but no one seems to predict agility (it has happened once).

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Calm
Ability: Oblivious
- Calm Mind
- Disable
- Psychic
- Scald

Bring him in on a physical attacker (even a burned Muk.) Mega+calm mind. Do it twice if you can. You'll get at least one KO (usually 2, sometimes 3. He's too slow and lacks recovery to really sweep.) He can 1v1 A-Muk. It's hilarious.

Rapidash
Jolly
Ability: Run Away
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Drill Run

Semi-useful. At best. It lacks enough bulk to truly counter anything (venesaur and melmetal will usually swap, but they actually can kill it 1v1 with some luck or chip damage). There's better will-o'-wispers and better screeners.

Last edited:
So I've been playing with some experimental sets on showdown to see if there are some additional counters for common plays that people don't know/aren't looking at. This team loses far more than it wins (I usually forfeit when there's no more path to a win), as a whole, but the mons themselves actually play some interesting roles. I'm dropping this out there if someone wants to spice up their team by adding one (for the sake of your sanity, don't run the whole team. I'm going to have nightmares about m-venusaur)

=== [gen7letsgoou] Experimental ===

Raticate-Alola
Ability: Gluttony
- Counter
- Protect
- Crunch
- Super Fang

This Pokemon is MVP on so many of my wins. It eats M-Gyarados, Dragonite, rhydon, golem, etc. for breakfast. Literally no one expects it, and if they do, they still can't block it if they didn't bring a very specific set. Counter if you think they don't see it coming, protect if you're not sure, super fang if they try to swap. It requires serious prediction (and a clean swap - Zam, Starmie or a Rocker usually work).

Hitmonlee
Ability: Limber
- Bulk Up
- Rock Slide
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake

This guy can be useful, but rarely is a game-winner. He's difficult to bring it and very specially frail. He does hit pretty hard, and nothing in the meta really likes swapping into him.

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Just a standard Chansey.

Kingler
- Agility
- Substitute
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide

Specifically counters Aero+Zapdos. Turn one, use agility (they'll use rocks). Turn two, use substitute. If they stay in, you probably keep your sub and kill an aero. If they swap to Zapdos, it loses to rock slide (you'll lose your sub). If aero carries taunt, it wins, but no one seems to predict agility (it has happened once).

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
- Calm Mind
- Disable
- Psychic
- Scald

Bring him in on a physical attacker (even a burned Muk.) Mega+calm mind. Do it twice if you can. You'll get at least one KO (usually 2, sometimes 3. He's too slow and lacks recovery to really sweep.) He can 1v1 A-Muk. It's hilarious.

Rapidash
Ability: Run Away
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Drill Run

Semi-useful. At best. It lacks enough bulk to truly counter anything (venesaur and melmetal will usually swap, but they actually can kill it 1v1 with some luck or chip damage). There's better will-o'-wispers and better screeners.
Would you mind adding natures? Thanks in advance!

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
Would you mind adding natures? Thanks in advance!
Sure thing! Completely forgot those.

Two changes: I replaced Hitmonlee with Primeape. I'll add his set below. He's far more useful as a pivot and threatens a few annoying pokemon (Notably, Eevee-S). I also changed rock slide to x-scissor after realizing that crabhammer did the same damage to Zapdos as rock slide. X-scissor threatens Exeggutor and M-Gyarados.

Primeape
Jolly
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Last edited:
Eevee-Starter
A+ to A
Disagree

Although for its frail and low speed. Eevee still can provide team support for its weird movesets created for LGPE.
Just be careful because it heavily needs team support.

Mega Gengar
B+ to A-
Kinda Agree

Like my post I made for M. Gengar. M. Gengar holds a strong niche in the metagame. With its good movesets, typing and decent stats. Surely this Pokémon is better than some sweepers. But no, M. Gengar is really as a utility because there’s so many fast sweepers that are better than M. Gengar (You know those). Still, best pokemon for Will-O-Wisp user, taunt user and Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb user.
Your post made literally no points just stop please lmao

Melmetal may be the only true S rank and he's on almost every team. The Landorus of this meta. Mega Alakazam, I don't know if he deserves to be S rank. See plenty of top teams without it, like the team niceboy69 made where he got the number 1 GXE which uses Mega Gyarados. But I've never seen a top team without Melmetal.

Last edited:
Melmetal may be the only true S rank and he's on almost every team. The Landorus of this meta. Mega Alakazam, I don't know if he deserves to be S rank. See plenty of top teams without it, like the team niceboy69 made where he got the number 1 GXE which uses Mega Gyarados. But I've never seen a top team without Melmetal.
There are a few, but your point stands. Fills a lot of roles nicely and has great stats. It's the reason for certain things (like muk and lax) running things like fire blast. It doesn't completely dominate in any regard, but does many things well. It's seriously just so bulky and hits hard.

I think Mew still deserves S. It's capable of doing whatever the hell it wants to do, like Rocks setter, CM sweeper, and Stallbreaker just to name a few. Plus, it has one of the most expansive movepools in the game with a wide range of utility moves and coverage, like Flamethrower/Fire Blast for Melmetal/A-Dugtrio, Scald for the Rock-types while still hitting Mel and Dug as well as spreading burns without the fear of a faster/speed tie Taunt, U-turn for momentum, Ice Beam for Zapdos, and other more niche options like Superpower for Eevee-S and weakened Mgyara, and Megahorn for opposing Psychics. It's highly customizable and it excels at the many things it's able to pull off. I see it almost as often as Melmetal, to be honest.

That being said, I don't think MZam is all that worthy of S, either. Many teams have started to employ more checks to it besides A-Muk that happen to check a bunch of other things, too, like Snorlax, Alolan Dugtrio, and, of course, Melmetal.

Last edited:

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
In tonight's edition of "why am I doing this to myself?" - more UU mons compete in OU. Again, this team wins less than it loses (though I'm getting better at using it. It wins a surprising amount of battles now), but each mon has an interesting role to play, and can check common threats in the OU. I've saved some of the showdown battles just because they're just hilarious.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Substitute

M-Pinsir is situational. He's a suicide rocker at worst, and a serious sweeper at best. I don't recommend him as your only possible mega. Still, his strategy is simple: bring him in on an expected EQ or anything he can threaten. Mega + Sub if you think they'll swap, stealth rock, and hit things until he dies. It's rarely expected and he can put serious dents in most of the meta.

Arcanine
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Agility

So much fun! Agility can honestly be replaced with play rough, as the only things Arcanine can threaten, he always outspeeds. He's really only on the team as a m-venusaur check. Keep him alive (and above 38% for SR+leech seed if you're predicted) until it goes down.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

M-Kang is actually my preferred mega. Fake out guarantees chip damage on everything except Gengar. Kang is status bait, so facade is required. Your opponent will constantly try to drop a burn on him. Ice punch is for aero, Dragonite, Venusaur, and exeggutor, as they often come in on Kang thinking they can take her. Eevee-S will also come in with sizzly slide, often. Sucker punch first, since it's an attack, then facade (it's slower). Dead Eevee.

Tentacruel
Ability: Clear Body
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm nature
- Hydro Pump
- Mega Drain
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic/Coverage move?

This is the best counter for Zapdos I have seen. It consistently baits out Zapdos and lives a Tbolt after SR, then deletes it with mirror coat. It does the same to Starmie. Mega drain is for omastar, cloyster and lapras. It's also useful when you opponent sends a mon that's defensively neutral to grass, as he can surprise them and Regen to live another hit (his speed is impressive, too). Hydro pump can fail you, but he really needs the additional base power to clean up or chip neutral or resistant mons. I have toxic on him, but have never once used it. We'll call it a free slot.

Kabutops
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Leech Life

This is alternate-universe Kingler. He absolutely punishes anyone foolish enough to lead a stealth rock setter - none of them can one shot him (barring a crit), so they end up giving him +4 if they stay in, +2 if they swap, and leech life means he regens most of his health from everything but Venusaur and Gengar. If they don't lead with their rocker, bring him in and set up when they do. He'll dent or KO several pokemon on their team. I have a few forfeits from this guy going ham on a team.

Electrode
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Foul Play/reflect/light screen/explosion
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Electrode is valuable because he's not very valuable. He can swap into a Tbolt fairly well, he can stunt on chanseys and setup mons, and he can screen things. That's the extent of his use, and none of those things are particularly useful in this meta (except maybe Tbolt swapping, but Chansey does it better). However! Because of his relative lack of value, he's an excellent sacrifical pawn - where an opponent expects you to swap, you can drop a status on them and suicide. This can often stall out their screens (which he prevents from being re-set with taunt).

Again, don't run the whole team unless you just really hate yourself, but several of these mons can plug gaps in an OU team in the same or better ways than other OU mons. Because they're not as used, players don't have the sets and calcs memorized, which gives you an edge.

Who is Gyarados outspeeding with a Jolly Nature? Is it better just to go Adamant?
I personally prefer Adamant myself, but Jolly isn't a bad alternative considering it gets the Jump on Jolly Eevee-S, Jolly Nidoqueen, the rare Naive Mega Venusaur, Timid Mega Blastoise, and the rare Kabutops.

Gonna nom a mon that I've been enjoying lately:

(best Shiny of all time imo)
UR -> B-

Mega Beedrill's surprisingly good. Drill Run is such a boon for it as it's able to snipe weakened Nidos, Melmetal, (Mega) Gengar, Mega Charizard X, and Alolan Muk as well as OHKO Alolan Dugtrio. It's so easy for this mon to gain momentum for its team with its incredibly-powerful U-turn forcing out the likes of Mew, Alolan Eggy, Mega Gyarados, regular Alakazam, and Starmie. Even without Adaptability, it and Poison Jab are really strong STABs coming off of that base 150 Attack. For instance, Poison Jab does about 45-53% to Zapdos, which is phenomenal damage especially if rocks are up (2HKO) and the 30% poison chance. The last slot is pretty customizable too. I've been enjoying Roost since it forces out a ton of mons and helps mitigate rocks, but other options include X-Scissor to deal Bug-type damage without switching out, Facade to deal with Burns, and Toxic to whittle down mons for a late-game sweep. It does have a ton of frailty to it, though, and it's rocks-weak, which is why I think B- is a good starting point for it.

Last edited:
I personally prefer Adamant myself, but Jolly isn't a bad alternative considering it gets the Jump on Jolly Eevee-S, Jolly Nidoqueen, the rare Naive Mega Venusaur, Timid Mega Blastoise, and the rare Kabutops.

Gonna nom a mon that I've been enjoying lately:

(best Shiny of all time imo)
UR -> B-

Mega Beedrill's surprisingly good. Drill Run is such a boon for it as it's able to snipe weakened Nidos, Melmetal, Mega Charizard X, and Alolan Muk as well as OHKO Alolan Dugtrio. It's so easy for this mon to gain momentum for its team with its incredibly-powerful U-turn forcing out the likes of Mew, Alolan Eggy, Mega Gyarados, regular Alakazam, and Starmie. Even without Adaptability, it and Poison Jab are really strong STABs coming off of that base 150 Attack. For instance, Poison Jab does about 45-53% to Zapdos, which is phenomenal damage especially if rocks are up (2HKO) and the 30% poison chance. The last slot is pretty customizable too. I've been enjoying Roost since it forces out a ton of mons and helps mitigate rocks, but other options include X-Scissor to deal Bug-type damage without switching out, Facade to deal with Burns, and Toxic to whittle down mons for a late-game sweep. It does have a ton of frailty to it, though, and it's rocks-weak, which is why I think B- is a good starting point for it.
Beedrill does need to be tiered somewhere as it can sweep a team that is unprepared for it.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Seeing as everyone's talking about mons that are hugely underrated right now, I thought it'd be good to get some appreciation for this threat;

Dragonite is possibly the best lategame cleaner in the tier, and also functions as a respectable breaker as well. There's only 1 common Pokémon that resists Outrage and has enough bulk for that to matter, that being Melmetal, meaning it can afford to run Outrage + Earthquake as its only attacks for many matchups. This allows it to run two other great moves, those being Roost and Agility. Agility is the key to Dragonite's success as a cleaner; even Adamant outspeeds the entire metagame after a boost. Roost lets you 1v1 a lot more than you might expect- for example, you can quite easily set up on Zapdos and sometimes even Mega Aerodactyl after rocks. Get your speed boost, Roost off the damage then go haywire. The amount of matches this thing has brought back from what have looked like losses for me is insane. The only real obstacle in the lategame is a Melmetal once you're locked into Outrage, or if you have to set up on something with a really strong super-effective hit, but there are usually more than enough entry points for this beast to get boosted.
As I said before, this thing also functions as a solid breaker. It notably breaks the very annoying and quite common core of Venusaur + Snorlax extremely well just by clicking Outrage, or even just Earthquake if Venusaur is weak enough. Not much can switch in confidently on an Outrage, and a single Earthquake on a predicted Melmetal early in the game can be enough to set up for your own sweep later on.
Not to say this mon doesn't have weaknesses, of course. Any form of status can hinder it (I say that, but often its bulk can let it set up through paralysis and win regardless without hax) and its typing defensively can be more of a hindrance than a help sometimes. But it's insanely far better than its current placement suggests and I hope people start to see it as such.

Now for some other misc stuff I've been using.

Clefable's actually quite a cool offensive rocker and the only Fairy type I'd consider using ever. I've been running a set with Moonblast, Fire Blast and Ice Beam for attacks and honestly it's pretty decent. Fire Blast is a clean 2HKO on Melmetal, a mon that many people seem to think is a no brainer as their choice of switchin, and you can 1v1 a lot of Muks with Moonblast as many don't run Poison Jab. Timid lets you get the jump on Poliwrath and defensive Eevees which can be nice but otherwise Modest is just a nice boost. Thunder Wave is another option I'm thinking of trying in order to help support monsters like Mega Gyarados.

Speaking of that monstrosity (or those, both Thunder Wave and Mega Gyarados qualify)...
This thing is giant wth
This mon kills everything and gets a lot of opportunities to do so. Everybody's come to the conclusion that the only attacks it really needs are Waterfall, Crunch and Earthquake, which leaves us with another slot. I'm pretty confident in saying that Thunder Wave is the best use of that slot in most scenarios. Not only does it support your team's other offensive mons, it also allows you to cripple potential switchins and most notably allow Gyara to outspeed the entire metagame. You even get the option of Para-Flinch with Thunder Wave + Waterfall. This set is disgustingly good, and imo is good enough to warrant S rank (Hopefully I can push for this in the next VR update).

This Pokémon is dreadful, its Defense stat and nice typing are very misleading and don't make up for its downsides at all. Just wanted to put this here in case anyone was considering trying the mon.

Beedrill does need to be tiered somewhere as it can sweep a team that is unprepared for it.
Agreed, it's way better than people give credit. Ignore what this part said before lol, I misread

tldr: Dragonite is great, Clefable is alright, Gyarados is insane, Tangela is a bundle of disappointment and Mega Bee is getting ranked soon.

Last edited:

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
This Pokémon is dreadful, its Defense stat and nice typing are very misleading and don't make up for its downsides at all. Just wanted to put this here in case anyone was considering trying the mon.
...Yeah, who would be silly enough to run tangela anyway?

(He's on my next UU test team)

if Someone has the time can they do movesets for all 151 Pokemon in LGPE. That would be much appreciated. Idc about the AV’s or nature , just moves

if Someone has the time can they do movesets for all 151 Pokemon in LGPE. That would be much appreciated. Idc about the AV’s or nature , just moves
So you're asking for the best Caterpie and Magikarp sets to use in OU?

I think sets for the mons currently ranked in the VR will do.

Seeing as everyone's talking about mons that are hugely underrated right now, I thought it'd be good to get some appreciation for this threat;

Dragonite is possibly the best lategame cleaner in the tier, and also functions as a respectable breaker as well. There's only 1 common Pokémon that resists Outrage and has enough bulk for that to matter, that being Melmetal, meaning it can afford to run Outrage + Earthquake as its only attacks for many matchups. This allows it to run two other great moves, those being Roost and Agility. Agility is the key to Dragonite's success as a cleaner; even Adamant outspeeds the entire metagame after a boost. Roost lets you 1v1 a lot more than you might expect- for example, you can quite easily set up on Zapdos and sometimes even Mega Aerodactyl after rocks. Get your speed boost, Roost off the damage then go haywire. The amount of matches this thing has brought back from what have looked like losses for me is insane. The only real obstacle in the lategame is a Melmetal once you're locked into Outrage, or if you have to set up on something with a really strong super-effective hit, but there are usually more than enough entry points for this beast to get boosted.
As I said before, this thing also functions as a solid breaker. It notably breaks the very annoying and quite common core of Venusaur + Snorlax extremely well just by clicking Outrage, or even just Earthquake if Venusaur is weak enough. Not much can switch in confidently on an Outrage, and a single Earthquake on a predicted Melmetal early in the game can be enough to set up for your own sweep later on.
Not to say this mon doesn't have weaknesses, of course. Any form of status can hinder it (I say that, but often its bulk can let it set up through paralysis and win regardless without hax) and its typing defensively can be more of a hindrance than a help sometimes. But it's insanely far better than its current placement suggests and I hope people start to see it as such.

Now for some other misc stuff I've been using.

Clefable's actually quite a cool offensive rocker and the only Fairy type I'd consider using ever. I've been running a set with Moonblast, Fire Blast and Ice Beam for attacks and honestly it's pretty decent. Fire Blast is a clean 2HKO on Melmetal, a mon that many people seem to think is a no brainer as their choice of switchin, and you can 1v1 a lot of Muks with Moonblast as many don't run Poison Jab. Timid lets you get the jump on Poliwrath and defensive Eevees which can be nice but otherwise Modest is just a nice boost. Thunder Wave is another option I'm thinking of trying in order to help support monsters like Mega Gyarados.

Speaking of that monstrosity (or those, both Thunder Wave and Mega Gyarados qualify)...
This thing is giant wth
This mon kills everything and gets a lot of opportunities to do so. Everybody's come to the conclusion that the only attacks it really needs are Waterfall, Crunch and Earthquake, which leaves us with another slot. I'm pretty confident in saying that Thunder Wave is the best use of that slot in most scenarios. Not only does it support your team's other offensive mons, it also allows you to cripple potential switchins and most notably allow Gyara to outspeed the entire metagame. You even get the option of Para-Flinch with Thunder Wave + Waterfall. This set is disgustingly good, and imo is good enough to warrant S rank (Hopefully I can push for this in the next VR update).

Agreed, it's way better than people give credit. Ignore what this part said before lol, I misread

tldr: Dragonite is great, Clefable is alright, Gyarados is insane, Tangela is a bundle of disappointment and Mega Bee is getting ranked soon.

What nature do you believe is best for the Gyarados set mentioned? I agree completely on that thunder wave slot. I seem to lean more to Jolly as it can outspeed other mons it would trade hits with. To my knowledge there is nothing Adamant KOs that a Jolly nature could not

Last edited:

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
I tested some more mons, guys! A few stood out way better than I had expected. I actually enjoyed running this team in the OU meta.
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Hyper Beam

This is an excellent Zapdos counter. It always outspeeds Zapdos and kills it with hyper beam and either chip damage from a hard-swap or rocks on the field. Because Zapdos definitely OHKOs M-Pidgeot, it will come out to play. I have never fought someone that didn't immediately bring zappy out. Then, Zapdos eats what's basically just under an explosion and dies, and Starmie or Gengar will come out to play - and you live their Tbolt and roost stall them. Seriously, even after rocks. Any STAB rock slide user can revenge kill you during the recharge, so try to deal with them before going for this play.

This is probably my favorite mega. It's a pokemon that's basically useless on its own, but the mega form makes it useable.

Sandslash-Alola
Ability: Snow Cloak
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

I managed a few sweeps with this guy. He'll eat an EQ from basically everything and kill it with counter. Bring him in on stuff he resists and expect their stealth rock setter to follow. SR -> SD -> Counter, then spam ice shard until he dies. If their stealth rocker is an aero, you may be able to get a second SD on the swap, which is when he becomes truly dangerous - nothing likes coming in to a +4 ice shard, resisted or otherwise.

Magmar
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Confuse Ray
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Substitute

Super, super underwhelming. He's not a bad wisper, he's just so darn frail. Confusion is fun, but unreliable. You can probably make a better set for him, but I'd sooner just use Arcanine.

Poliwrath
Ability: Water Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Hypnosis

Pretty standard poliwrath. Hypnosis is super unreliable.

Golem
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This guy is fun because I'm not running stealth rocks on him when everyone expects him to be my setter. EQ or rock slide their stealth rocker coming in. If it looks like your opponent may actually be able to take him out, pop in their face. His natural bulk makes him really fond of living on a sliver of health, then deleting something.

Jolteon
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Light Screen

Actually my favorite TWaver. He's fast enough to apply it consistently, and shadow ball chips or kills things that try to come in on a predicted tbolt.

Conclusion: M-Pidgeot is incredibly underrated in this meta. STAB hyper beam with 130 base SpA absolutely wrecks things, and he has enough bulk to survive the recharge and roost off the damage. He looks bad on paper, but he actually works.

Last edited:
Conclusion: M-Pidgeot is incredibly underrated in this meta. STAB hyper beam with 130 base SpA absolutely wrecks things, and he has enough bulk to survive the recharge and roost off the damage. He looks bad on paper, but he actually works.
I have to agree. Mega Pidgeot deserves a ranking somewhere. I think a good starting point for discussion is C+, but I believe it's better than most of the things currently in C+ other than Dragonite (which should rise anyway, it's really good, too). Heat Wave is what makes it usable in the first place as it's one of the few Flying-types besides Aero that outspeeds and OHKOs Alolan Dugtrio, and it does well over half to Melmetal (62-74%) which can easily be reached for a KO earlier on in the game. I also have to pitch my support for Hyper Beam. It's such an amazing late-game weapon. For instance, if Zapdos has been status'd with a Burn or Poison, or has received even the smallest amount of prior chip damage, it's pretty much guaranteed dead to Hyper Beam after rocks:

Mega Pidgeot Hyper Beam vs. Zapdos: 118-141 (71.5 - 85.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

With what this mon's capable of doing, its a great partner for something like Agility Dragonite that appreciates the aforementioned threats being weakened/eliminated.

Other options besides Hyper Beam, if the move is too squeamish for you, are Toxic to cripple Rhydon on the switch, U-turn for momentum, and Reflect to better deal with Melmetal and other physical threats, but I think Zapdos utilizes those other options much better than Mega Pidgeot, and I believe Hyper Beam is what really makes it stand out from Zapdos in a meaningful way. Air Slash also does more to Bold Venusaur and Impish Nidoqueen than Zapdos's Drill Peck.

Some replays of it putting in work:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7letsgoou-836687409 (I misclicked turn 32 and the match overall is a bit haxy, but the results ended up being the same as I intended and it shows off Pidgeot late-game anyway)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7letsgoou-836694250 (late game sweep)

What makes Dragonite lower rank? It has a decent stats. The rarely used of fairy types (well based on my playthrough) Ice types are nowhere to be found. What makes Dragonite a lower rank pokémon.

Hi guys,
First of all Im really enjoying LGPE, for me is probably the most fun game of the franchise because the simplicity to get competitive pokemons.
Im actually playing more battles with friends than online with random people.
We are following the smogon rules to do battles. But we found more interesting for the metagame to ban this pokemons: Melmetal, Mew, and starters.
Overall seems more interesting to do compositions because some of this mons are present on every team. What do you think about?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hi guys,
First of all Im really enjoying LGPE, for me is probably the most fun game of the franchise because the simplicity to get competitive pokemons.
Im actually playing more battles with friends than online with random people.
We are following the smogon rules to do battles. But we found more interesting for the metagame to ban this pokemons: Melmetal, Mew, and starters.
Overall seems more interesting to do compositions because some of this mons are present on every team. What do you think about?
Just because they are present on every team does not mean they are ban-worthy. Smogon bans Pokemon based on their brokeness and their uncompetitiveness.

Eevee-Partner is far from broken, that thing is pretty easy to kill, but the amount of support it gives to its teammates just makes it worth having on every team, considering you can also freely Rest your mons and let Eevee remove the sleep condition.

Melmetal is annoying to deal with, but you can easily put a check like Zapdos or Gyarados, if it's not running Ice Punch for Zapdos or TPunch for Gyarados. Because Melmetal annoys many things and is one of the only checks to Mega Alakazam, you are likely seeing it in every team.

Mew is kind of annoying as well, but I consider it on equal par with Mega Alakazam, with the only notable difference being that Mew has a way to deal with Melmetal (though getting paralyzed isn't its biggest dream). Mega Alakazam beats it in Speed, generally, and a higher unboosted power (Mew needs to set up a Nasty Plot to become threatening as a sweeper or wallbreaker). Most of the other Psychic-types beat it easily (Psychic is imo really good in this meta, the fact is that only 3 mons check it), along with Alolan Muk.

Tl;dr I don't think all of them are ban-worthy. If I were to pick one though, it'd probably be Mew due to both of its sets being somewhat good. I think they have enough checks that warrant their use other than specifically checking them, thus not being ban-worthy in my opinion at least. There might be someone that disagrees with me, probably, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)