Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Assurance
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Crunch+Assurance almost OHKO anything that doesn't really resist to it and the only things that could kill it before it kills you are bulky fairy types, bulky dark types, red card after mega, strong priorities, trick room, tailwind, x4 resists to dark like pangoro or scrafty, bewear and ditto, the rest almost always die... and psychic fang hits harder fighting types that resist crunch+assurance, in additon psychic fang give you the opportunity to remove screens from klefki if he doesn't have play rough, and prevent it's defog

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch+Assurance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 364-429 (92.3 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Bewear: 196-232 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO bewear must be defensive in order to avoid some revenge kill

Don't forget it's ally to get rid of everything I said sharpedo can't get rid of except trick room and red card

Zygarde @ Steelium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Z-Iron tail could OHKO unaware clefable after 1 layer of spikes

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 316-372 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Has nice chances to kill the not so common sub seed bulu

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Bulu: 236-278 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

And OHKO AV bulu

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 318-376 (92.7 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

The rest dies to thousand arrows+dragon dance and extreme speed is to attack before other priorities that could put you in range/rk

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
We have a case of a 0 damage moves in linked, don't know why it occured but if it could be fixed that could be nice.
Here is the replay of the battle and 2 pastes (1 of the entire battle and 1 of the specific moment where a 0 damage move occured)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-730052486
https://pastebin.com/AYgaRj25 entire battle
https://pastebin.com/nP4RiCp3 turn of 0 damage move
It's not a bug. They were using a Lvl 1 Solosis against a Clefable with Sp. Def boosts. The damage Clefable received was lower than 1% of it's max HP, and so it's displayed as 0%.

btw I got a nice little set that smack things around in this meta:

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Assurance
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Crunch+Assurance almost OHKO anything that doesn't really resist to it and the only things that could kill it before it kills you are bulky fairy types, bulky dark types, red card after mega, strong priorities, trick room, tailwind, x4 resists to dark like pangoro or scrafty, bewear and ditto, the rest almost always die... and psychic fang hits harder fighting types that resist crunch+assurance, in additon psychic fang give you the opportunity to remove screens from klefki if he doesn't have play rough, and prevent it's defog

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch+Assurance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 364-429 (92.3 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Bewear: 196-232 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO bewear must be defensive in order to avoid some revenge kill

Don't forget it's ally to get rid of everything I said sharpedo can't get rid of except trick room and red card

Zygarde @ Steelium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Z-Iron tail could OHKO unaware clefable after 1 layer of spikes

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 316-372 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Has nice chances to kill the not so common sub seed bulu

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Bulu: 236-278 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

And OHKO AV bulu

252+ Atk Zygarde Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 318-376 (92.7 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

The rest dies to thousand arrows+dragon dance and extreme speed is to attack before other priorities that could put you in range/rk
I have recently started running mega sharpedo as it counters HO really well, psychic fangs is a good counter to screens, but the biggest benefit has been his dark type in preventing prankster users such as kelfki, whimsicot in their tracks. I have been running liquidate and crunch on mine, as i prefered the coverage and realised both crunch and assurance hit base 120 but crunch has the added benifitt of defense drops. Zygarde is defiantly a top threat. Both dragon dance and dual attack are super strong.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out

Fake Out + Ice Shard can 2TKO a lot of the squishier sweepers before they are able to set up, and Swagger + STAB Foul Play can be utterly devastating to slower, more bulky enemies. Weak to enemy sweepers with priority.

Greninja-Ash @ Mystic Water
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Nothing tricky about this one. All-in on damaging the enemy with powerful water moves, turns into Ash Greninja with great consistency. While Dark Pulse makes it able to cover more enemies, the sheer base damage of water moves is able to kill just about anything that doesn't both resist it and have good bulk, and even then it is usually able to get a 2TKO.

Tapu Bulu @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Megahorn

While Wood Hammer before Horn Leech is more intuitive, too often Wood Hammer OHKOs the enemy and I have nothing to leech... Similar to the Greninja set, but switches speed for more damage and bulk.

If you're using a Rain team, (even Rain Dance on Tapu Koko) then you can make Porygon-Z MORE powerful with a Thunderbolt+Thunder combo (200 power over Thunderbolt+Discharge 170).
Clacs for things it didn't OHKO before:
Old:
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 362-426 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 542-638 (77.2 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
New:
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 426-502 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 638-752 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Old:
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 326-384 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 326-384 (80.6 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
New:
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

(Interesting that a 170 power move vs. 0HP/4SpD Tyranitar has the same 68.8% chance as a 200 power move vs. 252HP/4SpD Tyranitar)

Thunderbolt by itself (Thunder has a 50% chance to miss in Sand):
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 260-306 (76.2 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 260-306 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unless you're facing a bulky Mega-Tyranitar (I don't believe that is really seen in this gen, much less this teir), Thunderbolt+Thunder has a 50% chance of OHKO, 50% chance of dealing 50%-60% health w/o terrain, 75%-90% with it.
Thunderbolt+Discharge has a 70% chance of KOing Mega T w/o terrain, so is actually not that different from the 50% chance with Thunderbolt+hit/miss Thunder.

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. +2 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable: 208-246 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Discharge vs. +2 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable in Electric Terrain: 312-368 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. +2 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable: 244-288 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunder vs. +2 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable in Electric Terrain: 366-432 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

A 43.8 chance to OHKO Chansey and 56.3 chance to OHKO +2 Clefable both with Terrain is pretty good.

Another set that was mentioned was a Psychic/Psyshock set with Signal Beam which of course is good for its own ability to ignore half the stat changes they make it it's not affecting both (Curse and Bulk-Up on one side and Calm Mind and Assault Vest on the other), but is also a power boost and immunity to priority with Tapu Lele

Are there any good Wish+U-Turn(ish) Mons out there?

Edit: The nice thing is that when you link a 70% acc. move with a 100% move, even if you miss, you'll still be dealing damage either way.

Also make sure that when making you team, that unless you need a move to go first, to set the move with the lowest PP as the second move for a double attacker. That way if you only need 1 move to NO a target, it will be using the move with the higher PP amount.

Last edited:
Here's a fun set I've been having good success with:

Magearna @ Light Clay
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Light Screen

Now, by the looks of it, I'm sure one of your first thoughts is that you're not getting both screens up when you use the link moves. However, I initially built this set to help set up Volcarona sweeps, as it's probably one of my favorite Pokemon overall. Volcarona not only threatens to wipe out the opponent's team, but when setting up Quiver Dance, it's also bulking up its special defense stat. Reflect makes life very difficult for physical priority users to try and take it out, and oftentimes the opponent is unable to stop it. In addition, a lot of threats in the meta in general are physical attackers, and even without Light Screen, can help support the rest of the team a lot, sweepers and supports alike, such as my Zygarde. Even if you need the Light Screen, playing properly or using U-Turn pivots can let you get in that one extra turn, too.

Full Team Preview:

Single screen + pivot move is the essence of this set, and there are a lot of potential Pokemon that can run it as a support. Magearna has great typing, great bulk, and a slow pivot to get your sweeper in safely. It may not be Aurora Veil, but it's also much less commitment.

Trick room teams are on the rise, and I don't want to get swept by mega camerupt a third time :( so looks like I'm replacing critdra with water shuriken ashninja

Another interesting strategy I ran into on the ladder: set up spikes and sr, then red card and whirlwind/roar spam to wear down your opponent, finally use priority to clean up late game.

see this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-730723860 (I could've won had I predicted the m-scizor switch in and fire punched, but it was a 50/50)

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Been loving this RotomWash set. Self-explanatory, really, and I’m using it with plenty of other Taunt mons and crap to help take out TR. Trick with choice scarf, while not very useful, can also frick up some tr sweepers, especially if you are able to predict switch and trick a mon with setup/attack. A lot less useful against sweepers with 2 attacks for link, however.

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Charge
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

I’ve actually been doing a lot better than I thought with this Electrode set. Now, you may be wondering why it’s not Koko, and the answer is simply the +20 speed. Now you outspeed ashgren (except water shuriken I guess), Mega Bee, other Kokos, and Mega Lop. Taunt is mainly for TR users but can also be used against whatever, and Charge/T-Bolt is a very strong link.

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 263-309 (93.5 - 109.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 58 HP / 8 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 285-335 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Any past 58 I think will let it live, maybe.
252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Beedrill-Mega: 331-391 (122.1 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Probbaly didn’t even calc these correctly, and they are actually not too strong, but with SR/Spikes and the like, these could probbaly turn into OHKOs.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Yeah, trick scarf is very viable. I've actually been using it on my lead uxie to stop anyone from setting up on what they think is a harmless trick room lead. It's worked pretty well as I've continued to climb up the ladder.

Trick room teams are on the rise, and I don't want to get swept by mega camerupt a third time :( so looks like I'm replacing critdra with water shuriken ashninja

Another interesting strategy I ran into on the ladder: set up spikes and sr, then red card and whirlwind/roar spam to wear down your opponent, finally use priority to clean up late game.

see this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-730723860 (I could've won had I predicted the m-scizor switch in and fire punched, but it was a 50/50)
Was indeed close and I've (easily) won vs opponents then the next encounter they wipe the floor or vice versa because it's basically Russian Roulette. But that makes it fun too.

does anybody know why Quick claw sometimes shows that it activate, but doesnt?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-731263114 (turn 8)

Araquanid @ Quick Claw
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Rain Dance
- Liquidation
- Rest
- Leech Life
Didn’t even look at replay, but my guess is is that if you read the rules, you’d find that priority is determined by the move with the least priority. I’m assuming Quick Claw is only giving priority to 1 move, meaning the link will still have no priority.

Didn’t even look at replay, but my guess is is that if you read the rules, you’d find that priority is determined by the move with the least priority. I’m assuming Quick Claw is only giving priority to 1 move, meaning the link will still have no priority.
Except Quick Claw doesn't give priority. It makes the holder move first in its priority bracket. Araquanid should have moved first.

Timid Kartana is a monster in this format. Sword Dance-Smart Strike provides it the power it lacked. While Sacred sword deals with defensive boosters.

I faced it last night. Can't wait to try build a team round it.

Edit: https://pokepast.es/af155e9167565751

Not the most inovative team in the world but a lot of fun. No trick room answer really.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
So are we at a consensus that Zygarde is once again one of the best Pokemon in an OM, possibly busted?
It gets stopped entirely by scarf Ditto if allowed to set up (but what doesn't? and I suppose Substitute sets could prevent that), and there is a more conventional answer in the form of Tapu Bulu. Thousand arrows does limit the options to check it for sure.

It gets stopped entirely by scarf Ditto if allowed to set up (but what doesn't? and I suppose Substitute sets could prevent that), and there is a more conventional answer in the form of Tapu Bulu. Thousand arrows does limit the options to check it for sure.
Should we all just run scarfed ditto on every team then? If it weren't for clefable, I would say that it should be quick banned for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)