(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

*Sigh* This isn't as much about the franchise itself but more about the fanbase; a certain thing that often appears on wishlists that, at least to me, doesn't seem to take into account why it happened the one time that it did and hasn't happened since: wanting to visit a previous region.

I guarantee you, if you watch/read a batch wishlists from Pokemon fans at least half if not more will have visiting a previous region be on there. Now, this alright as a wish that are in general/something they would want to see in a future game... but it really annoys me when I see people wishing for this even though we've learned a batch about a new region and it should be very obvious we won't be visiting a previous region.

It all starts, of course, with Gen II. Once you got done with Johto, surprise, you could visit Kanto. It was a nice bonus, but there was reasons for this. Kanto & Johto are next to each other and share a Pokemon League, their stories and characters have direct connections, and Gen II was originally called Pokemon 2 so was intended to be a direct sequel. Since the games were running off the same engine there was little extra work they needed to do aside compressing it enough to fit both regions on the cart (and in the case of HGSS, they were working off the originals so didn't have to come up with all the changes that would have happened over the years).

So let's move onto Gen III, based on a region that's far enough away from Kanto & Johto that what happened in those regions wouldn't affect Hoenn and vice versa. Still, people got upset they couldn't visit the previous regions. Rinse and repeat for Gens 4, 5, 6, and 7. Aside from the remakes, I think it's fairly clear the situation with Gen II was a special one.

Now I'm not saying this can't happen, but if it were to happen again the previous region would have to be close by and there would have to be some kind of story connection for the player to decide to visit it (that's why the Unova player just doesn't hop a plane and fly to Sinnoh: why would they?). The previous region (and all its changes) would need to be part of the newer region's story in order to justify spending precious development time they could have instead put in the new region to make it better in places. But no, all players who wish to visit a previous region in a new gen just seem to want to do so for the sake of it.
Not saying I disagree with you but I think it's wanting decent post game exploration more than anything. Gen II had Kanto, Gen III (FRLG) had Sevii Islands, Gen IV had the Battle Zone, Gen V had almost a quarter of the map be post game, Gen VI had... a poor excuse for a Safari Zone, and Gen VII had a large empty area. So there have been things like the Looker quests in the more recent games but there have been no new areas to explore once you beat the E4 and exploration is one of the most important parts of in game Pokemon. We had great post game content for five generations but now the focus is clearly on VGC and online play. Even post game battling has been reduced back to a generic Battle Tower compared to the Battle Frontiers or PWT.

Honestly I think the reason many people put visiting other regions in their wish lists is because it's far easier to imagine exploring them rather than a new area such as the Sevii Islands. I'm pretty sure that if it were a choice between exploring an old region or a new one, most would pick a new area.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not saying I disagree with you but I think it's wanting decent post game exploration more than anything. Gen II had Kanto, Gen III (FRLG) had Sevii Islands, Gen IV had the Battle Zone, Gen V had almost a quarter of the map be post game, Gen VI had... a poor excuse for a Safari Zone, and Gen VII had a large empty area. So there have been things like the Looker quests in the more recent games but there have been no new areas to explore once you beat the E4 and exploration is one of the most important parts of in game Pokemon. We had great post game content for five generations but now the focus is clearly on VGC and online play. Even post game battling has been reduced back to a generic Battle Tower compared to the Battle Frontiers or PWT.

Honestly I think the reason many people put visiting other regions in their wish lists is because it's far easier to imagine exploring them rather than a new area such as the Sevii Islands. I'm pretty sure that if it were a choice between exploring an old region or a new one, most would pick a new area.
Hm, I don't know about that. I think it would be the former, people would choose to visit a previous region than explore a new area. Why? Well, for one thing, nostalgia. The previous region is a familiar place for many players and they would want to see how new Pokemon, mechanics, or how it has been affected by the current position of the timeline. While remakes do the former two, remakes retell the story of the old games which take place in the past (ORAS may be in a different timeline, but still in the same position of time as the originals). Players who want to visit a previous region probably remember all the surprising changes that happened to Kanto just 3 years after the events of Gen I. Pokemon Tower is now a radio station & Lavender Town has become a more happier place because of it, the Power Plant is back online, Janine is running the Fuchsia Gym, Blue is running Viridian Gym, Cinnabar Island's volcano erupted and destroyed the island causing Blaine to move his Gym into the Seafoam Islands, and Red has mysteriously vanished last being seen going to Mt. Silver. Plus you still got to battle the Gym Leaders and get their Badges for the ultimate showdown atop Mt. Silver: Gen II protagonist vs Red. Also, people would expect them to add in new locations to explore due to the time changes (and maybe expectations that if remakes extend upon features so would a region revisit).

But as I said, this reason is only for the player wanting to see these changes because it's unlikely they'll ever make this its own game. However it has to have an in-story reason why the player's character would do this. Gen II protag did it because Kanto was literally next door, knew characters and heard about Kanto from them thus generating interest in visiting it, and certain storylines were finished up in Kanto such as the final end of Team Rocket & Suicune leading on the player. But, as of right now, no other region is like this so the player would have to go very much out of their way to get to another region. Also, once again, all these changes (and just the general remaking of the region) takes development time which could instead go into expanding upon the new region which needs it the most. Gen II was able to do it because it was running on the same engine as Gen I so, after many alterations and compressing the data (RIP Iwata), were able to put Gen I's maps into the Gen II games (and the remakes were just going off the blueprints so they didn't need to plan out that many more changes).

For me, I would personally choose expanding the new region. I LOVE what they did Unova in BW2, especially when you compare it to BW's Unova. BW's Unova was criticized for it's rather straightforward design, you were essentially walking down a single path throughout the game (though they made sure to add in plenty of side areas and twist & turns to the routes and locations along the way, it wasn't FF13's hallway design as you were able to explore the areas). But then BW2 came out and it took that criticism and killed it. I had no idea where I would be going next as the map isn't as linear as it would make you believe due to them having you jump from one place to another via ferries & planes. Additional locations now extend far and some even connect to different cities across the map! Just looking at the maps in general should tell you that BW2's Unova was nothing like BW's Unova:

Okay, so, this isn't really a bad thing exactly. In essence it really doesn't matter and there's no reason to really care about it that much, but I've got nowhere else to say it and I've really gotta just say... what in the heck is up with the Mega Stone order in the bag?

That's just a small snippet; but it's easily enough to get what I mean. It's not in Dex order, it's not in Alphabetical order, it's not even like it's organised into generalised region or release order sections... there's absolutely no discernible order I can see and it drives me friggin' crazy! How did the programmers decide on this order?!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so, this isn't really a bad thing exactly. In essence it really doesn't matter and there's no reason to really care about it that much, but I've got nowhere else to say it and I've really gotta just say... what in the heck is up with the Mega Stone order in the bag?

That's just a small snippet; but it's easily enough to get what I mean. It's not in Dex order, it's not in Alphabetical order, it's not even like it's organised into generalised region or release order sections... there's absolutely no discernible order I can see and it drives me friggin' crazy! How did the programmers decide on this order?!
It might be based on an internal numbering assigned when a stone was first programmed. Kind of like how Red and Blue has its Pokémon data indexed in a different order than the Pokédex numbering.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It might be based on an internal numbering assigned when a stone was first programmed. Kind of like how Red and Blue has its Pokémon data indexed in a different order than the Pokédex numbering.
Good guess... but no (if the screenshot Kurona posted is how they're ordered by the bag). That said, the index number for the Mega Stones equally make no sense (the Charizardites aren't even together). And sweet Arceus, GF, clean that thing out once in a while.

As for the order issue... I have no clue. They didn't care, put all their names in a hat, and added them in as they drew their name from a hat.

Good guess... but no (if the screenshot Kurona posted is how they're ordered by the bag). That said, the index number for the Mega Stones equally make no sense (the Charizardites aren't even together). And sweet Arceus, GF, clean that thing out once in a while.

As for the order issue... I have no clue. They didn't care, put all their names in a hat, and added them in as they drew their name from a hat.
Yeah, this is how they're displayed when you order them "by type".

That's one thing I find annoying in Gen 6/7 too. The sorting option isn't as good as it once was. Instead of everything being sorted in a very logical order, it is a complete mess with a hundred minor categories that aren't even in alphabetical order. The sorting function was perfect in Gen 5 with 4-5 major categories that got sorted alphabetically, I don't know how they managed to screw it up so hard in Gen 6/7.

Well, I've been gone for a while (Computer problems, leaking ceiling, and a whole mess of anxiety problems), yet it took me no time to catch up with this thread. Weird.

So, it's time for me to complain about Sun and Moon. Where do I begin:

1) About half of the Mega Stones not being available outside of events. Yeah, there are permanent code based events for some, but that shouldn't have happened anyway.
2) Wait, I can't evolve a non-Alolan native Pikachu into regular Raichu? Why couldn't this be like Gastrodon, which worked very well.
3) The worst villains in the series history. Team Skull felt just pathetic. Every time I fought them, it felt like I was Bruce Wayne in civilian clothes and an incredibly small time group of thugs think they can easy mug me. Translation: they lost. Bad. And Lusamine made no sense. I thought Cyrus was confusing.
4) The lack of good NPC battles. Most trainers had 1-2 'mons the whole game. With so few reasons to hold back, I just tended to Z-Move them into oblivion.
5) Festival Plaza is inferior to the PSS. And there still isn't a way to seek out a match with people using compatible rule sets outside Battle Spot and I want to be able to use duplicate items and 6v6!
6) Gengar losing Levitate.
7) The National Dex no longer being present in the game at all.

I know there were other things, but I think of them later.

Here's another I've encountered recently: I challenge people to the basic rules for singles (1-6 Pokemon, auto-50, etc), yet a few have only brought in 3 'mons out of their six. Come on, guys, if I wanted that, I would have set that ruleset.

Last edited:
Well, I've been gone for a while (Computer problems, leaking ceiling, and a whole mess of anxiety problems), yet it took me no time to catch up with this thread. Weird.

So, it's time for me to complain about Sun and Moon. Where do I begin:

1) About half of the Mega Stones not being available outside of events. Yeah, there are permanent code based events for some, but that shouldn't have happened anyway.
2) Wait, I can't evolve a non-Alolan native Pikachu into regular Raichu? Why couldn't this be like Gastrodon, which worked very well.
3) The worst villains in the series history. Team Skull felt just pathetic. Every time I fought them, it felt like I was Bruce Wayne in civilian clothes and an incredibly small time group of thugs think they can easy mug me. Translation: they lost. Bad. And Lusamine made no sense. I thought Cyrus was confusing.
4) The lack of good NPC battles. Most trainers had 1-2 'mons the whole game. With so few reasons to hold back, I just tended to Z-Move them into oblivion.
5) Festival Plaza is inferior to the PSS. And there still isn't a way to seek out a match with people using compatible rule sets outside Battle Spot and I want to be able to use duplicate items and 6v6!
6) Gengar losing Levitate.
7) The National Dex no longer being present in the game at all.

I know there were other things, but I think of them later.

Here's another I've encountered recently: I challenge people to the basic rules for singles (1-6 Pokemon, auto-50, etc), yet a few have only brought in 3 'mons out of their six. Come on, guys, if I wanted that, I would have set that ruleset.
1.- I personally like the idea of getting the Mega Stones (pretty much, getting new Pokemon) by small groups, and see how the metagame develops with each introduction

3.- Yeah, about Team Skull... that's kind of the point (?)

Literally every evil team, I repeat, EVERY evil team is pathetic like that (Oh no, I dropped the key). The only difference is that the characters of the game are actually aware of it, and see them as if they were a bunch of annoying punks, because that's what they are... a bunch of annoying punks

I never got the hate towards Team Skull, (aka the most carismatic team in the entire franchise) they are kind of a Jesse and James type of villian to me, meanwhile, every other evil team feels bland and generic, with sligthly different goals (with the exception of the white Team Plasma in BW2)

1.- I personally like the idea of getting the Mega Stones (pretty much, getting new Pokemon) by small groups, and see how the metagame develops with each introduction

3.- Yeah, about Team Skull... that's kind of the point (?)

Literally every evil team, I repeat, EVERY evil team is pathetic like that (Oh no, I dropped the key). The only difference is that the characters of the game are actually aware of it, and see them as if they were a bunch of annoying punks, because that's what they are... a bunch of annoying punks

I never got the hate towards Team Skull, (aka the most carismatic team in the entire franchise) they are kind of a Jesse and James type of villian to me, meanwhile, every other evil team feels bland and generic, with sligthly different goals (with the exception of the white Team Plasma in BW2)
Partially because of how weak the NPC trainers where in this game anyway (most have only 2 'mons) and partially since it just felt insulting to me as a veteran player. I'm just thinking, "Really? You two punks think you can take ME on? I've dismantled six villainous teams, many more than once. I've beaten children more difficult than you. Go away before I make you go home weeping."

I think Team Skull are actually amazing. Yes for the most part they're an easy team. They're supposed to be a joke. They act and talk silly and the only person who ever takes them serious in game is Lillie. Acelroa* ("Those numskulls actually did something smart for once) and Hau begin to take them a bit more seriously around the Po Town part. Team Skull have the best dialogue in the game. We can't take them seriously - and that's a good thing. They have by far the most amusing dialogue of any villainous team and poke fun at various conventions set by past games (during the first trial they make a comment about grunts appearing the same, and there's the argument between the two grunts in the Shady House where they comment on how they share the same name). They're not the main evil on the game, so they're allowed to get away with it in my opinion. Team Skull are more

Plumeria and Guzma are also pretty good characters. Plumeria has actual character development, something not seen too often in villainous teams (I can think of about 2, mabye 3 examples off the top of my head) and it was pretty neat to see almost familial bonds between the Skull members while Guzma is probably the most intimidating leader to date (well, Giovanni/Ghetsis are up there too - and they all start with a G!) in the main series. No he doesn't have some grand plan, but out of all the leaders he seems to be the most violent. The line "You wanna know what I do when some machine messes up? The first thing I do is give it a nice hard smack! I mean, most of the time I smash it to pieces, but hey, what can you do? Now let's see if I can't fix you!" stood out to me.

The amount of Pokemon trainers have is annoying, like you said Vader. A large majority of trainers only have one Pokemon? Just why? If you're lucky you might the off 2 'mon trainer but its unlikely, although they do become more common towards the end of the game. Speaking of trainer limits, important trainers yet again lack enough Pokemon. The kahunas are one thing - only Hala was fine, but Olivia should've had 4 Pokemon and Nanu 5 - Hapu 5 to 6 Pokemon. Hau has way to little Pokemon. He should've had a team of 4 by Paniola town, and be able to fight you with 6 Pokemon on Mt Lanikai*. Guzma really should've had at least 3 Pokemon on his first two fights, and 5 on the third (especially since he only specializes in one type... well at least his bugs have diversity of dual typing I guess, unlike trainers such as Olivia). Speaking of Olivia, why were all her Pokemon (in the first fight) mono-rock? I've just come off both the Water and Grass trials and will be able to swiftly beat Olivia with no problem with Pokemon I could catch at the area before. Not even a single dual typing to help the issue. The only Kahuna who gave my team any trouble is Hapu thanks to a semi diverse team and the level jump between the Ula'Ula -> Poni Island. I don't use items the opponents don't use (in important/plot relevant fights) and I still found most of them easy. The difficulty was an improvement from ORAS but it still doesn't go far enough.

*I think I messed up the spelling of these words sorry.

Team Skull works for me because they're played well both in their own right and as an accent to the actual villains in the Aether Foundation. Team Skull is just as pathetic and the previous generation teams have been, but they're not played straight like they were. I never really got why anyone was afraid of Team Rocket when no one but their admins carry anything more dangerous than a Golbat or the odd Magmar. The Police force in the Pokemon Universe are confirmed to use Pokemon for their work in multiple depictions, so they should not have trouble battling anyone besides the Admins, who they should still have under control by pure numbers in most cases. It's the entire reason things like the Manga give them more distinct characters/admins or things like the villain Gym Leaders, or just diversify the Grunts' Pokemon. Ironically, I think Team Skull Grunts have more diverse Pokemon than most teams despite the others being recognized terrorists and even having business fronts to bring in money (Rocket and Galactic).

No one in universe takes Team Skull seriously because they're a bunch of punks and dropouts, and their behavior makes more sense as delinquents trying to be intimidating despite getting thrashed rather than Team Rocket, who your character drives off multiple times single-handedly despite being a fairly new trainer and yet they unironically think they can intimidate you off, especially AFTER you team up with Lance of all people in Gen 2.

It also helps because Team Skull's non-threatening perception makes it a blindside when the Aether Foundation (alongside Team Skull) turns out to be competent enough to set the end game in motion, in terms of threat level more than actual plot twist. The contrast also helps with my thoughts on Gladion's situation: The guy is so afraid/concerned about his mother that he would rather run with Team Skull than risk going back to her.

In addition, the grunts of the Aether Foundation and Team Skull being really easy and really crap make sense -- they're not meant to be trained members of a villainous organisation; they're just street thugs and environmentalists. You wouldn't expect them to have a lot of muscle behind them like, say, a member of a Mafia-esque organisation or something with such aspirations and apparent force behind them as Team Galactic. The villainous team members being weak, for once, actually makes sense.

Talking about Pokemon Finder photography, comparing photos I took some times before....

I know that you all are just automated in-game script based on Pokemon's angles, zoom, and whatnot some people on Twitter or something when I "upload" my Pokefinder photos, but come on! Just because it's upfront angle? How come this is better than this:

HNI_0021.JPG
+13k likes || Around 8-10k likes
HNI_0022.JPG

The second photo even got some demeaning comments.
You all bunch of mediocrities!

(Reminds me that I also want to draw Absol. This is beautiful....)

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While the Poké Finder is definitely a funny feature, I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously and we shouldn't try to read too deep into the rating system, let alone the eloquent comment section.
Let's face it: the feedback you get is about as poignant and conclusive as any given YouTube comment:

I mean, they might as well just say:

Who knows, maybe we could dedicate a thread to posting our best snapshots and discuss/rate them among ourselves in a bit more elaborate way?

Last edited:
You know what really annoys me about team Skull? they're not treated as treatening as they actually are

They. Took. Over. A. Whole. Town.

They evicted the whole population of a town from their homes (including someone who might be among the richest people in Alola I might add), took over all business, took everything from furniture to cars for themselves and barricaded the whole thing

and the police won't do anything about it

and sure the chief of police has a soft spot for team Skull, which is bad enough on itself, but here's the thing; could the alolan police be even capable of beating team Skull?
we do get to both battle and see the headquarters of the police and from what we see of both two things are clear:

1.The police officers are actually weaker than team Skull's grunts

2.The're actively ignoring any and all crime that happens in Alola.
Tapu Bulu destroys the Trifty Megamart and most human buildings aroud it incluiding roads? "Alola is a peacefull region so we got nothing to do"
Town taken over by some thugs and it's population thrown out on the streets? "Alola is peaceful"
Same thugs trying to steal things on the other islands? "Yup, sure it's peaceful"

I mean it's telling the fact that when team Skull kidnaps a Yungoose no one even tries to go to the police, it's like they know how useless their peace keeping forces are
In light of all this the whole thing reads like the population of Alola treats team Skull with disrespect more as a sign of defiance than because team Skull is actually harmless

It's like an elephant in the room situation; "Everything is great here" *something explodes in the backgound* "is such a peaceful and wonderful place"

after Sea Mauville it almost looks intentional

Last edited:
You know what really annoys me about team Skull? they're not treated as treatening as they actually are

They. Took. Over. A. Whole. Town.

They evicted the whole population of a town from their homes (including someone who might be among the richest people in Alola I might add), took over all business, took everything from furniture to cars for themselves and barricaded the whole thing

and the police won't do anything about it

and sure the chief of police has a soft spot for team Skull, which is bad enough on itself, but here's the thing; could the alolan police be even capable of beating team Skull?
we do get to both battle and see the headquarters of the police and from what we see of both two things are clear:

1.The police officers are actually weaker than team Skull's grunts

2.The're actively ignoring any and all crime that happens in Alola.
Tapu Bulu destroys the Trifty Megamart and most human building aroud it incluiding roads? "Alola is a peacefull region so we got nothing to do"
Town taken over by some thugs and it's population thrown out on the streets? "Alola is peaceful"
Same thugs trying to steal things on the other island? "Yup, sure it's peaceful"

I mean it's telling the fact that when team Skull kidnaps a Yungoose no one even tries to go to the police, it's like they know how useless their peace keeping forces are
In light of all this the whole thing reads like the population of Alola treats team Skull with disrespect more as a sign of defiance than because team Skull is actually harmless

It's like an elephant in the room situation; "Everything is great here" *something explodes in the backgound* "is such a peaceful and wonderful place"

after Sea Mauville it almost looks intentional
It's pretty well alluded to throughout the game that Skull is fairly incompetent and used more or less as a cover for the shady parts of the Aether Foundation. From playing the game I had the impression that they took over Po Town after it was abandoned but you saying that Po Town used to be home to the rich people of Alola makes me think that the Aether Foundation (or Lusamine at least) definitely helped them out there, heck chances are Lusamine probably owned the Shady House. But that's getting into fan theory territory.

Considering many NPCs around Alola hadn't even heard of Team Grunt, turning into a running joke, I think it's safe to say that they were more local nuisance than big time crime gang like Rocket. Either way, compared to every other evil team in the series they seem to be the weakest compared to other end-of-the-world teams and used more for humour than anything, leaving the actual bad guy stuff to Lusamine and co.

It's pretty well alluded to throughout the game that Skull is fairly incompetent and used more or less as a cover for the shady parts of the Aether Foundation. From playing the game I had the impression that they took over Po Town after it was abandoned but you saying that Po Town used to be home to the rich people of Alola makes me think that the Aether Foundation (or Lusamine at least) definitely helped them out there, heck chances are Lusamine probably owned the Shady House. But that's getting into fan theory territory.

Considering many NPCs around Alola hadn't even heard of Team Grunt, turning into a running joke, I think it's safe to say that they were more local nuisance than big time crime gang like Rocket. Either way, compared to every other evil team in the series they seem to be the weakest compared to other end-of-the-world teams and used more for humour than anything, leaving the actual bad guy stuff to Lusamine and co.
Just because not every NPC doesn't talkabout team Skull doesn't mean that they haven't heard of them, only two NPCs talk about Tapu Bulu destroying the Trifty Megamart yet it's clearly a major event since it involves one of their deities and all

and Po town wasn't abandoned, after all people come back there after team Skull is disbanded

maybe it's because I only woke up 10 minutes ago but what's Sea Mauville got to do with it?
In Sea Mauville we find out that not only did the respected Devon corporation used to sell snake oil and that their rise to power came from a current respected gym leader betrayal of the Mauville company; but that the seemingly idyllic pokemon world has some brutal working conditions that put a heavy tax on families' stability

the whole point is that since at least gen V pokemon keeps telling us one thing (Alola is peaceful, Devon is a great corporation, it's good for pokemon to be with humans) while showing us another (Po town was taken over and vandalized, Devon used subterfuge to gain it's status, Mudbray was hunted to almost extinction)

it's an elephant in the room sutiation, bad things keep happening and people keep acting as if everything is fine and it's starting to look less and less as an oversight and more and more as an intended feature of the world because Gamefreak keeps consistently showing this disconnect between what NPCs say and what is happening around them game after game

Last edited:
Just because not evry NPC doesn't talkabout team Skull doesn't mean that they haven't heard of them, only two NPCs talk about Tapu Bulu destroying the Trifty Megamart yet it's clearly a major event since it involves one of their deities and all

and Po town wasn't abandoned, after all people come back there after team Skull is disbanded
I was referring to those who specifically state they don't know who they are, usually saying straight to their faces as a joke. Most notable I can think is Hapu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 7)