(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

It's not until the reveals of the new moves in Let's Go that I realized this, but I really dislike the alliterative/rhyming naming scheme that we've been seeing lately. It's most obvious in Z-moves, but it also appears in things like Surge Surfer, Slush Rush, Beak Blast, and Smart Strike.

The problem is that the names feel forced - they were clearly meant to sound cool, but the localization team tried a little too hard and ended up with moves and abilities that don't sound... natural, somehow.

To be fair about Surge Surfer, Alolan Raichu is surfing on its tail, and you're probably not going to use Electric Terrain except without Tapu Koko, so Alolachu is most likely surfing on the Electric Surge, so I honestly don't know what else you'd call it.

Otherwise, I do agree with you. And these alliterative names are actually affecting the quality of the translations. For example, Malicious Moonsault is not a moonsault, which is a very real wrestling technique; it's actually more like a 450 degree splash. Granted, the original Japanese name (which is like Hyper Dark Crusher or something) doesn't even reference a particular wrestling technique, so this just seems to be fitting in with all the other move names that are technical mistranslations due to how they can mean something completely different than the original Japanese name or be unrelated to it at all (freaking Double Slap...).

Since I like coming up with names for things, some alternative names for alliterative Z-moves:

Breakneck Blitz -> Overdrive Slam

Bloom Doom -> Nature Crush

Continental Crush -> Fossilize

Corkscrew Crash -> Iron Cleave

Devastating Drake -> Draconic Majesty

Extreme Evoboost -> Full Spectrum

Malicious Moonsault -> Top Rope Knockout

Oceanic Operetta -> Ocean's Song

Pulverizing Pancake... y'know what, I like this one as it is because the whole concept of it is hilarious, not just the name.

Savage Spin-out -> Insect's Revenge

Subzero Slammer -> Absolute Zero (yes I know this is Sheer Cold's Japanese name, shut up)

Supersonic Skystrike -> Terror from the Sky

Twinkle Tackle... is also fine as it is because the entire nature of the move is to be deceptively cute.

The alternate names sound 100% more awkward than the current Z-Names, like sure "Bloom Doom" is campy and cheesy but at least it has charm and isn't some thesaurus'd "Nature Crush" which manages to sound less powerful and have less impact when spoken aloud. I've never personally taken issue with any Z-Move names.

And hey, it's a game about capturing monsters and fighting bad guys with friendship. It's campy by nature

The alternate names sound 100% more awkward than the current Z-Names, like sure "Bloom Doom" is campy and cheesy but at least it has charm and isn't some thesaurus'd "Nature Crush" which manages to sound less powerful and have less impact when spoken aloud. I've never personally taken issue with any Z-Move names.

And hey, it's a game about capturing monsters and fighting bad guys with friendship. It's campy by nature
The current Z-Move names generally roll off the tongue better when said aloud, and are probably a lot more fun and memorable for a child to say than these alternatives. (especially when they perform the poses with the Z-Ring/Z-Power Ring toy, which was likely the intent)

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a Community Contributor
Alliterative names don't really annoy me honestly, the appeal of alliteration is allowing all your words to flow. Same kind of deal with rhyming.

The PLG names have the cutesy names that's far more off putting to me than any inherent issues with alliteration. There's a big difference to me from Twinkly Tackle vs Twinkle Tackle, Breaky Blitz vs Breakneck Blitz, or Sizzly Slide vs Sizzle Slide.

Alliterative names don't really annoy me honestly, the appeal of alliteration is allowing all your words to flow. Same kind of deal with rhyming.

The PLG names have the cutesy names that's far more off putting to me than any inherent issues with alliteration. There's a big difference to me from Twinkly Tackle vs Twinkle Tackle, Breaky Blitz vs Breakneck Blitz, or Sizzly Slide vs Sizzle Slide.
I know what you mean; for me it's more that the alliteration breaks immersion, because it's obvious that the translation team was specifically trying for it, thus making the move names sound unnatural.

Of course, the new Let's Go move names sound both unnatural and babyish.

Since I like coming up with names for things, some alternative names for alliterative Z-moves:
Eh... I get you don't like they went really campy with the Z-Move names, but honestly for most of them there's really no problem. As Detective Barricade said, most of the current Z-Move names are snappy and easy to remember, something a kid would want to shout out. Not that I don't have my problem with a few, but I think we're encroaching on wishlisting territory here (or at least onto a topic where everyone gives their take but the discussion goes nowhere). We can come up with alternative names all day but that won't change the names aren't changing. We can certainly point out if there's a problem with the name and how it doesn't make sense or just sounds odd, but I feel coming up with alternative names is just inviting pages of posts of similar nature taking the discussion nowhere.

I know what you mean; for me it's more that the alliteration breaks immersion, because it's obvious that the translation team was specifically trying for it, thus making the move names sound unnatural.
I don't see how it breaks immersion because, well, all moves are made up. A move's name is nothing more but a verbal command the Pokemon recognizes as a certain technique it knows. To the Pokemon they probably think of the moves in more simple and descriptive terms, the fancy names are for the sake of the trainer. What the trainer calls "Gigavolt Havoc" the Pokemon is thinking "Super Strong Electric Bolt".

Eh... I get you don't like they went really campy with the Z-Move names, but honestly for most of them there's really no problem. As Detective Barricade said, most of the current Z-Move names are snappy and easy to remember, something a kid would want to shout out. Not that I don't have my problem with a few, but I think we're encroaching on wishlisting territory here (or at least onto a topic where everyone gives their take but the discussion goes nowhere). We can come up with alternative names all day but that won't change the names aren't changing. We can certainly point out if there's a problem with the name and how it doesn't make sense or just sounds odd, but I feel coming up with alternative names is just inviting pages of posts of similar nature taking the discussion nowhere.

I don't see how it breaks immersion because, well, all moves are made up. A move's name is nothing more but a verbal command the Pokemon recognizes as a certain technique it knows. To the Pokemon they probably think of the moves in more simple and descriptive terms, the fancy names are for the sake of the trainer. What the trainer calls "Gigavolt Havoc" the Pokemon is thinking "Super Strong Electric Bolt".
They can't all be as awesome as "Light That Burns the Sky"...

They can't all be as awesome as "Light That Burns the Sky"...
Ultra Necrozma is less creative, it just calls the attack "Big Light Ball That Kills Everything". :P

Though going back a bit, I do agree that with two moves the alliteration makes it confusing: Smart Strike and Malicious Moonsault.

For Smart Strike it's confusing because it's name doesn't tell you it's a horn-based move. It's Japanese name is "Smart Horn", and for some reason they felt the word to change to make it an alliteration is "horn" which I felt was the more important word. Smart Horn was fine, and if you wanted to push the alliteration why not something like "Homing Horn"? What, there wasn't enough moves that began with "s"?

As for Malicious Moonsault, problem with it is that it's not a moonsault being done but a 450 Splash. Now I suppose they didn't want to use the word "Splash", though why not something like "Sinister Slamsplosion" (yes, they would have to change Sinister Arrow Raid then, though with it originally called Shadow Arrows Strike...)?

Yes, I know I said I wouldn't give alternative names, though those two really annoy me due to having something incorrect about them when I felt there was a way around it.

Ultra Necrozma is less creative, it just calls the attack "Big Light Ball That Kills Everything". :P

Though going back a bit, I do agree that with two moves the alliteration makes it confusing: Smart Strike and Malicious Moonsault.

For Smart Strike it's confusing because it's name doesn't tell you it's a horn-based move. It's Japanese name is "Smart Horn", and for some reason they felt the word to change to make it an alliteration is "horn" which I felt was the more important word. Smart Horn was fine, and if you wanted to push the alliteration why not something like "Homing Horn"? What, there wasn't enough moves that began with "s"?

As for Malicious Moonsault, problem with it is that it's not a moonsault being done but a 450 Splash. Now I suppose they didn't want to use the word "Splash", though why not something like "Sinister Slamsplosion" (yes, they would have to change Sinister Arrow Raid then, though with it originally called Shadow Arrows Strike...)?

Yes, I know I said I wouldn't give alternative names, though those two really annoy me due to having something incorrect about them when I felt there was a way around it.
Maybe the translators thought the idea of a "smart" horn was weird, so just change it to Smart Strike. Besides, the move's description clarifies it uses a sharp horn to attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)