(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Soooooo... Damp has apparently been updated to prevent Mind Blown, and yet it doesn't affect Powder, another explosive move.

I hate how in over 20 years of pokemon they managed to only create ONE, ONE SINGLE starter bird that isnt Normal/Flying. I thought Talonflame marked a new age for this, but apperently not. Seriously stop making those. There are now 11! Normal/Flying birds. It is so overdone. Make starter birds that people accually want to use.
At least Staraptor and Toucannon had something going on for them, and Wingull shows up even earlier than Taillow .

I have no clue what the Pidove line is supposed to do, though.

I hate how in over 20 years of pokemon they managed to only create ONE, ONE SINGLE starter bird that isnt Normal/Flying. I thought Talonflame marked a new age for this, but apperently not. Seriously stop making those. There are now 11! Normal/Flying birds. It is so overdone. Make starter birds that people accually want to use.
One could argue Wingull is the first example of a beginner bird that is not Normal/Flying. It's far more common than Taillow, for instance.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And they even managed to make it actually good in gen 7 !
And also to make players detest it despite its qualities, as Wingull and Pelipper are extremely common (usually an encounter rate of 20+) throughout the entire game, even though its appeal wears off after five routes or so. Bonus points for doing this in the game following ORAS, which had made exactly the same mistake of stuffing the crappy pelican in people's faces for the entire game.

I agree with the sentiment, though: Wingull/Pelipper are definitely more of a Hoenn regional bird family than Taillow/Swellow are, and conceptually, that's a good thing. It's almost a shame that they put in Taillow and Swellow that early in the 'dex too, robbing the Wingull family of part of its status.

And also to make players detest it despite its qualities, as Wingull and Pelipper are extremely common (usually an encounter rate of 20+) throughout the entire game, even though its appeal wears off after five routes or so. Bonus points for doing this in the game following ORAS, which had made exactly the same mistake of stuffing the crappy pelican in people's faces for the entire game.

I agree with the sentiment, though: Wingull/Pelipper are definitely more of a Hoenn regional bird family than Taillow/Swellow are, and conceptually, that's a good thing. It's almost a shame that they put in Taillow and Swellow that early in the 'dex too, robbing the Wingull family of part of its status.
I think they were going for something similar to Pidgey and Spearow, with two early route bird Pokemon. And really, nearly every Pokemon game tends to shove its regional early route bird in the player's face until they're sick of it in one form or another. I particularly remember Staravia in Sinnoh and Tranquill in Unova being particular pains in the ass since they're not only common, they like to spam Whirlwind and Detect respectfully if you do decide to waste time fighting them... or fail to run away from them. X/Y managed to spare us an overabundance of Fletchling, though there were other birds to pick up the slack.

If they’re “regional birds” they should be common, and probably annoying. The distribution in XY was one of the worst, most undermining things about it. They could’ve toned down the Pelipper in Gen VII, but the overall concept is right. I don’t know why rats would be gathering so heavily in open grassy areas, though.

Really the whole way of distributing species needs a total overhaul. Stuff like Raticate should be pervasive (and annoying), but only in certain places. Rare, exotic things shouldn’t be present 10 feet from an urban area, etc.

Yes but Lucky Eggs tho

Soooooo... Damp has apparently been updated to prevent Mind Blown, and yet it doesn't affect Powder, another explosive move.
It could be that like oil and water, Powder is not water soluable or hydrophobic and therefore can still ignite despite being damp.

Basically like a grease fire, the Powder gets too hot and self-ignites and since it's not water soluable adding water won't help (and in fact could make things worse, as any kitchen nightmare story could tell you).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes but Lucky Eggs tho
Pelipper would definitely have been more tolerable in SM if they held Lucky Eggs like in ORAS. But alas, the devs really hated people for using other methods of fast EXP than the Exp. Share, so they removed Lucky Egg as a wild hold item completely. And not even only from Pelipper, even Chansey lost its possibility to hold Lucky Egg, which it had had as a trait since Gen II.

Also, I personally don't think the abundance of Pelipper alone is the worst thing ever. That is the abundance of Pelipper in combination with either Yungoos or Rattata, since together they make up 50-60 % of the encounter table in nearly every land route throughout the entire game. Someone at GameFreak must really despise the concept of variety.

Pelipper would definitely have been more tolerable in SM if they held Lucky Eggs like in ORAS. But alas, the devs really hated people for using other methods of fast EXP than the Exp. Share, so they removed Lucky Egg as a wild hold item completely. And not even only from Pelipper, even Chansey lost its possibility to hold Lucky Egg, which it had had as a trait since Gen II.
But then they put it back with Blissey, which is something.

If they’re “regional birds” they should be common, and probably annoying. The distribution in XY was one of the worst, most undermining things about it. They could’ve toned down the Pelipper in Gen VII, but the overall concept is right. I don’t know why rats would be gathering so heavily in open grassy areas, though.

Really the whole way of distributing species needs a total overhaul. Stuff like Raticate should be pervasive (and annoying), but only in certain places. Rare, exotic things shouldn’t be present 10 feet from an urban area, etc.
I see your point and agree that lore matters to an extent when it comes to gameplay, but I think that it’s bad when lore hurts the overall experience. If the lore makes the gameplay worse, then the developers need to write better lore. I’d compare it to writing an annoying tv show character. When you want to make a character annoying, it’s better writing to show how the character annoys other characters than to annoy the audience with the character. The latter is much lazier and contradicts the point of a tv show, to entertain.
As far as the Raticate/Gumshoos and Pelliper situation goes, it’s pretty believable that the part about Yungoos being an invasive species was only added because of their high encounter rates. There’s no evidence to suggest one or the other more strongly, but it’s pretty lazy writing when you can’t tell if a bit of lore is meant to cover up a gameplay flaw.
To make it better gameplay and lore wise, I’d first only have Yungoos and Gumshoos have the high encounter rates. This would mean that at night, there’d be a huge gap to fill in encounters. Maybe even throw in some dialogue or cutscenes about/of the Yungoos irritating people. This would show Yungoos to be invasive while giving the player a way around them. It’d also solve the problem of Rattata being just as widespread as the species which is supposedly wiping them out. I don’t want to go too much further in depth as it could become wishlisting (if I’m not already there), but my point is that lore shouldn’t limit gameplay if it doesn’t have to limit it.

To make it better gameplay and lore wise, I’d first only have Yungoos and Gumshoos have the high encounter rates. This would mean that at night, there’d be a huge gap to fill in encounters. Maybe even throw in some dialogue or cutscenes about/of the Yungoos irritating people. It’d also solve the problem of Rattata being just as widespread as the species which is supposedly wiping them out
Except the games state that Yungoos and Gumshoos completely failed to wipe them out due to Rattata and Raticate starting to have differing active hours, so they ended up with two invasive species.

That wouldn't make sense lorewise either.

Except the games state that Yungoos and Gumshoos completely failed to wipe them out due to Rattata and Raticate starting to have differing active hours, so they ended up with two invasive species.

That wouldn't make sense lorewise either.
In that case I guess I’d just say that the Rattata were almost wiped out, and a small population was able to carve out a niche as a nocturnal rodent. Maybe they aren’t able to grow as large due to nocturnal predators?There’s still the humor in that in trying to control the Rattata population, they have the same problem just with another species.

Swift Latios and Agile Latias do not come with Swift nor Agility. I demand it be changed to reflect attacks they actually have, like Charming Latias and "Wants to find his wife's killer but has amnesia so can only remember the last few minutes" Latios

It annoys me that you cant switch the order of moves in battle anymore. I cant think of a good reason why they abolished this after gen 3.
In Gen VI, they changed the way conversion worked to be based on the first move in your list. And in at least some versions, if you run out of time when selecting a move, it automatically uses the first move on your current mon. I’m guessing that letting you alter the order of moves would break one of those things, though I agree that it’s a quality of life mechanic they should have found a way to keep.

In Gen VI, they changed the way conversion worked to be based on the first move in your list. And in at least some versions, if you run out of time when selecting a move, it automatically uses the first move on your current mon. I’m guessing that letting you alter the order of moves would break one of those things, though I agree that it’s a quality of life mechanic they should have found a way to keep.
I completely forgot about Conversion. But it still seems rather weird that they rather left out such a convenient feature instead of changing Conversion, a move only useable by the Porygon family. Even if you could change the type of Conversion through rearranging moves mid-battle, it hardly seems to make the move too strong. Nothing uses it anyway unless it is used with a Z-crystal.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It annoys me that you cant switch the order of moves in battle anymore. I cant think of a good reason why they abolished this after gen 3.
Out of curiosity I decided to check for Gen I glitches concerning switching around the moves and found one:

If a Ditto transforms into another Pokémon and then switches around the copied moves with the SELECT button, after the battle the Ditto will not have Transform and will instead have --. This can also be done with other Pokémon by having them use Mimic on Transform, or use Transform directly, such as Mew.
The -- move is a very volatile glitch move as it's one of those programming errors where the program panics so takes any ol' data it could get from the RAM trying to find something it can execute.

"Yeah, okay, but that's back in Gen I, they'd probably be able to prevent that from happening now"

Yes, but you forget GF's outlook on glitches: it's easier to just prevent them from happening than going into the code and and trying to rewrite or add code to fix it. It was just easier to to not let player's move around moves anymore during battle. And upon preventing the problem they forgot about it, including ever implementing back letting you switch moves during battle.

I hate just how thoroughly outclassed Hyper Cutter, Big Pecks, and Iron Fist are as abilities, and how easy it would be to make them not outclassed.

Hyper Cutter and Big Pecks
These abilities are completely outclassed by Clear Body, as it grants immunity to all types of stat drops instead of just one. The easy solution would be to make Hyper Cutter and Big Pecks act like Keen Eye. Keen Eye used to be in the same outclassed boat, but was buffed in Gen 6 to ignore the opponent's Evasion buffs. Hyper Cutter could easily ignore the opponent's Defense buffs, and Big Pecks could easily ignore the opponent's Attack buffs.

Iron Fist
Iron Fist is completely outclassed by Tough Claws, as it boosts all the moves boosted by Iron Fist and more, and boosts them by a greater amount. Iron Fist could easily take a page from Strong Jaw (which also boosts a subset of contact moves) and Mega Launcher, and boost the power of punching moves by 50%.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
i might be wrong on this, but i'm pretty sure you can still do this. in gen 6 and 7 you can hold down and drag the move on the status screen and in gen 4 and 5 you can press select (?) with the move highlighted to move it around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 12)