(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Leaf Blade became a TR this generation, but even after DLC, the only Pokémon that get it by TR who didn't get it by Level-Up before are Mew, Celebi and Lilligant; all Pokémon who don't need it and don't make use of it. In addition, all the Pokémon that could learn it before by Level-Up still get it by Level-Up with the sole exception of Gallade, so adding him on, that's a grand total of 4 Pokémon in the game that would actually ever use this TR, and of those the only one who would want to is a Pokémon that just got it by Level-Up before.

What?

Leaf Blade became a TR this generation, but even after DLC, the only Pokémon that get it by TR who didn't get it by Level-Up before are Mew, Celebi and Lilligant; all Pokémon who don't need it and don't make use of it. In addition, all the Pokémon that could learn it before by Level-Up still get it by Level-Up with the sole exception of Gallade, so adding him on, that's a grand total of 4 Pokémon in the game that would actually ever use this TR, and of those the only one who would want to is a Pokémon that just got it by Level-Up before.

What?
I still say Egg Bomb is the most pointless TM in all of Pokemon, in terms of the time you get it, what it does, and what learns it. The Only Pokemon that can learn it are Exeggutor, Chansey, and Mew, and all of them have no reason to ever use it, the only one with STAB had the lowest attack in that gen, and there are numerous better Normal type move TMs

I still say Egg Bomb is the most pointless TM in all of Pokemon, in terms of the time you get it, what it does, and what learns it. The Only Pokemon that can learn it are Exeggutor, Chansey, and Mew, and all of them have no reason to ever use it, the only one with STAB had the lowest attack in that gen, and there are numerous better Normal type move TMs
It's absolutely true and the same goes for softboiled; though I can pin a lot of this down on Gen 1 being odd either on purpose or just incidentally. This instance is a lot more fascinating to me because it's been over 20 years, they know what they want to do with TMs, so why did they do this?

I think I might be interested in compiling a list of pointless TMs and TRs one day, especially to see if there's any more in SwSh.

It's absolutely true and the same goes for softboiled; though I can pin a lot of this down on Gen 1 being odd either on purpose or just incidentally. This instance is a lot more fascinating to me because it's been over 20 years, they know what they want to do with TMs, so why did they do this?

I think I might be interested in compiling a list of pointless TMs and TRs one day, especially to see if there's any more in SwSh.
Before the DLC the only Pokémon who got Razor Shell via TM who didn't before were Mew and Escavalier. Granted, Escavalier could make decent use of it to hit Fire types/Hippowdon, but it's still pretty niche. A few more get it now, but I still think it's one of the more pointless SwSh TMs.

Before the DLC the only Pokémon who got Razor Shell via TM who didn't before were Mew and Escavalier. Granted, Escavalier could make decent use of it to hit Fire types/Hippowdon, but it's still pretty niche. A few more get it now, but I still think it's one of the more pointless SwSh TMs.
Escavalier getting it is at least kind of interesting so that's better than Leaf Blade, but wow. That's not great. Looking it up its new recipients are Slowbro, Slowking, Carracosta and Kabutops... I imagine those two appreciate it a little, at least? Though they both get the more powerful Waterfall, so...

My fear with making previous signature moves TRs like this is that it'd completely blow away their being special and limited but it's kind of got the opposite problem!

Granted, It could have been as simple as letting Chansey learn Soft-Boiled through level-up. Then the TM wouldn't be needed.

EDIT: Kurona Chansey doesn't learn Soft-Boiled in gen 1 by level-up.
Oh, wow, I actually didn't know that.

Still, it's a strange TM when it's something they easily could have given to Chansey by level-up. Guess it's just kind of a fun little thing to go out of your way for if you have it, or something.

Gengar's spirit battle in Smash Bros Ultimate irks me.

The fight takes place on Luigi's Mansion, with a special floor effect that puts you to sleep. So far, so good. But then they pit you against Purple Donkey Kong. Wh.... why? Donkey Kong doesn't act like Gengar, and he barely looks like Gengar.

Purple Inkling, Navy Meta Knight, or some Jigglypuff would have been better fits. Inkling's squid form kinda looks like a ghost, and the purple ink is analogous to sludge. Meanwhile, Meta Knight and Jigglypuff visually resemble Gengar the most.

EDIT: MK and Jiggs also reflect other parts of Gengar. Both reflect its floatiness (moreso Jiggs), MK reflects his spookiness, and Jiggs reflects Hypnosis even further (though the floor does already do that).

Last edited:
Gengar's spirit battle in Smash Bros Ultimate irks me.

The fight takes place on Luigi's Mansion, with a special floor effect that puts you to sleep. So far, so good. But then they pit you against Purple Donkey Kong. Wh.... why? Donkey Kong doesn't act like Gengar, and he barely looks like Gengar.

Purple Inkling, Navy Meta Knight, or some Jigglypuff would have been better fits. Inkling's squid form kinda looks like a ghost, and the purple ink is analogous to sludge. Meanwhile, Meta Knight and Jigglypuff visually resemble Gengar the most.
Donkey Kong is medium sized, large & round like gengar, and fully purple and the tie resembles a tongue, I suppose.

What?
I see that, and I raise you Aura Sphere.

It still has that fantastic distribution and you can get it extremely early.

There's absolutely no point to that TR at all.

I see that, and I raise you Aura Sphere.

It still has that fantastic distribution and you can get it extremely early.

There's absolutely no point to that TR at all.
No, that one got given to quite a lot of stuff. Latis, Blaziken, Celebi, Kommo-O; also freed Raikou from event hell. There's a much wider distribution here and on Pokémon that would actually want to use it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Any move they made into a TM/TR they should have really expanded what learned it. The idea behind a TM/TR is that its an unnatural way for a Pokemon to learn these moves, so there's some wiggle room for interpretation (yes I know some of these aren't in the Galar dex and thus may very well get these moves).

Leaf Blade: Para family, Scyther, Kabutops, Tangela family, Ninjask, Armaldo, Kriketune, Absol, Carnivine, Pansage family, Escavalier, Durant, Honedge family, Trevenant, Xerneas, Tapu Bulu, Zacian

Don't have time to do Aura Sphere atm, but I feel distributing Aura Sphere should be an even easier thing to do than Leaf Blade.

DK isn't round at all. He's a massive fucking gorilla.

He's also not fully purple. A lot of him is just bare skin.

The tongue = tie is pretty clever though, especially since "tongue tied" is a thing.
his sihhlouette is round. His default stance is hunched over and keeps his arms in front & to the ground

He may not literally be a circle (& forgive the SNES era render, but the pose is the same in smash) but his over all stance will at a glance give round vibes.

Though not as round as his miyamoto-style

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Aura Sphere expansion:
To make this list easier on my I'm just going to focus on Pokemon in Sword & Shield. I'm also going to be a bit "conservative" with my choices:
  • Main Galar Dex: Blipbug family, Vikavolt, Hoothoot family, Bellossom, Vulpix family, Froslass, Baltoy family, Munna family, Natu family, Shedinja, Bronzor family, Ralts family, Remoraid family, Woobat family, Cutiefly family, Alolan Raichu, Espurr family, Hatenna family, Clefairy family, Togepi & Togetic, Gothita family, Solosis family, Sigilyph, Toxtricity, Indeedee, Oranguru, Type: Null family
  • Isle of Armor Dex: Galarian Slowbro, Sandyghast family, Porygon family
  • Crown Tundra: Magmortar, Audino, Spiritomb

Aura Sphere expansion:
To make this list easier on my I'm just going to focus on Pokemon in Sword & Shield. I'm also going to be a bit "conservative" with my choices:
  • Main Galar Dex: Blipbug family, Vikavolt, Hoothoot family, Bellossom, Vulpix family, Froslass, Baltoy family, Munna family, Natu family, Shedinja, Bronzor family, Ralts family, Remoraid family, Woobat family, Cutiefly family, Alolan Raichu, Espurr family, Hatenna family, Clefairy family, Togepi & Togetic, Gothita family, Solosis family, Sigilyph, Toxtricity, Indeedee, Oranguru, Type: Null family
  • Isle of Armor Dex: Galarian Slowbro, Sandyghast family, Porygon family
  • Crown Tundra: Magmortar, Audino, Spiritomb
... that's conservative?!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
... that's conservative?!
Some of the Pokemon I originally included but removed thinking it may make them a bit too OP included the Ghastly family, Litwik family, and Milotic.

Also anyone feel free to object to any of them or add anything they think I missed.

Some of the Pokemon I originally included but removed thinking it may make them a bit too OP included the Ghastly family, Litwik family, and Milotic.

Also anyone feel free to object to any of them or add anything they think I missed.
Aura Sphere just isn't a move that should be going to so many Pokémon, like, at all. I frankly don't like that it is a TR in the first place but it should be reserved for a very exclusive set of Pokémon, otherwise it loses what makes it cool and interesting -- being restricted to Legendaries and a very small amount of Pokémon outside of that, as it is now, is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)