(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Not anywhere as bad as physical Rock moves, at least. The only physical rock moves with 100% accuracy are Accelrock(Quick Attack clone exclusive to Lycanroc) and Smack Down(50 power with a weird secondary effect). Even moves of comparable power, like Rock Tomb and Rock Throw, have imperfect accuracy(interestingly in both cases they had much worse accuracy in their debut games, with 80% and 65%, respectively.) You know it's bad when even your early game moves can miss, at least with Flying that is not a problem.
I know, but that one makes sense to me at least -- that is powerful enough and inaccurate enough to be a risk/reward type of scenario, especially on a type that is very potent offensively; not to mention it fits flavour wise with how clumsy living rock monsters chucking big lumbering stones would presumably be. Not saying I like it, but I get it.

But 90/95% accurate is... well, as said before, just not low enough for a high risk/high reward type thing, especially with moves as 'meh' in power as Air Slash, and for moves that already have drawbacks like Fly. And I have no idea how this is supposed to fit the flying-type, which is presumably meant to evoke ideas of agility and speed and acrobatic prowess in the sky; something that's matched by most Pokémon who have the type especially in earlier gens.

Why does Golbat require high friendship to evolve? Its a giant bat with a huge face that sucks blood, and it needs to love its trainer to evolve? Like stuff like Buneary and Riolu needing high friendship makes sense Buneary basically evolves into a Furry cuddlier version of a Buneary to make its trainer happy and Riolu needs trust and practice in sensing auras, which builds friendship. But Golbat? The entire premise of Crobat is its extra wings make it stealthier so it can kill easier. How on earth do you build friendship with a giant bat face knowing that it evolution will only make it easier to suck blood and kill things?

EDIT: What does "Normal" type mean? Like Fire types usually spew fire or something but is the theme of "Normal" type to not be out of the ordinary? Are you gonna tell me the fat purple thing with a giant tongue is something you see on an everyday basis? Or the purple/yellow thing with organ pipes coming out of it head and back is pretty average? Doesn't make any sense

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
What does "Normal" type mean? Like Fire types usually spew fire or something but is the theme of "Normal" type to not be out of the ordinary? Are you gonna tell me the fat purple thing with a giant tongue is something you see on an everyday basis? Or the purple/yellow thing with organ pipes coming out of it head and back is pretty average? Doesn't make any sense
Speaking personally, I've always taken Normal to mean "without any specificity". Most Normal-type Pokemon have expansive movepools and the type has significantly fewer weaknesses than any other (as well as no advantages). Normal moves are typically ones without finesse or elemental aspects - tackling, slamming, charging (though differentiated from Fighting moves which also punch or kick). There are very few Pokemon which can use moves of all 18 types, but nearly every Pokemon can learn Normal-type moves. It's the "baseline" type.

Speaking personally, I've always taken Normal to mean "without any specificity". Most Normal-type Pokemon have expansive movepools and the type has significantly fewer weaknesses than any other (as well as no advantages). Normal moves are typically ones without finesse or elemental aspects - tackling, slamming, charging (though differentiated from Fighting moves which also punch or kick). There are very few Pokemon which can use moves of all 18 types, but nearly every Pokemon can learn Normal-type moves. It's the "baseline" type.
Or more like "default" type. Something is Normal-type if it does not fit with any other existing type. Say, Bite was a Normal-type move in Gen I, because the Dark-type wasn't "discovered" yet, and likewise for all the retypings made when the Fairy-type was introduced.

If, for example, they decided to make a Sound-type, all Normal-type sound moves (which make the majority of the category) would immediately go there.

EDIT: What does "Normal" type mean? Like Fire types usually spew fire or something but is the theme of "Normal" type to not be out of the ordinary? Are you gonna tell me the fat purple thing with a giant tongue is something you see on an everyday basis? Or the purple/yellow thing with organ pipes coming out of it head and back is pretty average? Doesn't make any sense
replace normal with neutral and there you have it, pretty much. its just most unaligned/non-elemental monsters of jrpgs with some extra flavor (the weakness to fighting, immunity to ghost and the stuff with rock and steel)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why does Golbat require high friendship to evolve? Its a giant bat with a huge face that sucks blood, and it needs to love its trainer to evolve? Like stuff like Buneary and Riolu needing high friendship makes sense Buneary basically evolves into a Furry cuddlier version of a Buneary to make its trainer happy and Riolu needs trust and practice in sensing auras, which builds friendship. But Golbat? The entire premise of Crobat is its extra wings make it stealthier so it can kill easier. How on earth do you build friendship with a giant bat face knowing that it evolution will only make it easier to suck blood and kill things?
Character development, but not for Golbat/Crobat. For Silver. Starting the second battle he would have caught a Zubat and starting with the fourth it would have evolved into a Golbat. Now his final required battle is on Victory Road, where he first starts to show a change in his personality, still having not only a Golbat but also a Kadabra and Haunter. Post game you can find him in Mt. Moon having made more strides to better himself revealing he has evolved his Kadabra and Haunter into an Alakazam and Gengar, something which can only be done with trading so he had to find someone that would be nice to trade back-and-forward with. Still, his Golbat remains unevolved as he's starting to bond with his Pokemon and learning to trust others. Finally he'll have rematch battles at the Indigo Plateau revealing his Golbat has finally evolved into Crobat, showing he has fully embraced treating his Pokemon as partners instead of tools.

But, why make Crobat that Pokemon? Well, think about how many Rocket Grunts used Zubat & Golbat back in the Gen I games (and Gen II). It was a lot, sort of making them one of the signature Pokemon of the team. Silver having a Zubat is sort of the only Pokemon connection he has with Team Rocket, and the fact he has Golbat for so long sort of a way showing his personality is no better then that of a Rocket Grunt. It's only when he starts becoming a better person, truly better than a Rocket Grunt he used to look down upon, does he break that final connection with Team Rocket by getting a Pokemon that no other Rocket Grunt can even though many have the Pokemon that evolves into it: Crobat.

In addition to everyone's above explanation, think of every Type being a certain kind of energy. Fire is heat energy, Grass is plant energy, Flying is wind energy, etc.. Normal is, well, just plain energy. It's energy without any additional trait to it that makes the other Type's energy special. When a Pokemon uses a Normal-type move it's either using its natural energy to perform an attack using parts of its biology or channeling that natural energy into a controllable form to either enhance a biological part of it or fire it out in some projectile form. So a Pokemon that is "Normal" is more that of a Pokemon which adapted to its current form by not specializing its energy in any way, likely because its biology already let it survive in its environment without difficulty.

All of this talk about Normal reminds me of a few fun facts:

-Prior to Gen VI, all dual-typed Normal Pokemon had Normal as their primary type
-Similarly all dual-typed Flying Pokemon had Flying as their secondary type

While Gen V did have Tornadus, its primary type was Flying only because that was its ONLY type. X and Y introduced the Litleo Line, Helioptile Line, and Noibat lines that bucked this trend. While Gen VII only had the Alolan Rattata not follow the Gen I-V trends of both types, Gen VIII had the Galarian Zigazoon Line, Indeedee, Corviknight, and Cramorant, though Corviknight could easily be explained that its pre-evolutions were pure Flying since only on rare occasions of a Pokemon with a single type evolving and gaining a secondary type does the prior type become secondary. The only ones that I can name from the top of my head that do are Galarian Slowbro and Slowking.

Mega sceptile is legit more disappointing than mega audino. Audino goes from irrelevant pokemon to irrelevant mega, but sceptile had so much promise. grass attacks types were special in gen 3 so gamefreak's hands were probably tied when it came to sceptile's stat distribution even though it had such a design focus on cutting and slashing. The gen 4 physical-special split happened, but a stat redistribution was unprecedented at the time, so oh well sceptile. Then gen 6 happens and now sceptile can finally realize its full potential as a a physical attacker right? Nope, still a special attacker. what grass type with a move pool of 5 special attacks (including dragon pulse lol) is ever going to succeed? The worst part is the noticeably detachable tail of mega sceptile arguably suits a physical attacker more.
There was a time last gen were unburden sceptile was legitimately a threat and makes me wonder what mega sceptile could have been

when I think of most disappointing Mega, I would think of Mega Latios honestly. It's thanks to Z-Moves and even bigger power creep that made the Mega slot a less of an opportunity cost that it found relevancy in Latios' item slot. In fact, I recall it being required for a while to be even usable in OU.
Previously, Mega Latios is just a bulkier Latios with less power. That role was already filled by Latias and Mega Latias already, so it seemed rather pointless.

Speaking of Megas, why are most Megas Dragon or Psychic types. It's like with the legendaries that each gen we get at least 1 of each Dragon and Psychic Type Legendary Pokemon.
Almost all the Dragons of Hoenn got a Mega, and if we are honest, hardly any of them can be justified. It may an unpopular opinion, but I am glad that Flygon didn't get a mega as well.
While it deserves it more than Salamence, Rayquaza, Latis or Garchomp, but it's not a terrible Pokemon.

Also it's laughable that Gen 5, the Generation with the most new Pokemon introduced has only 1 mega and it's arguably the least useful.

Btw, green is my favorite color, but who came up with the idea to give the Latis' mega olive green as their shiny palett? The normal forms have amazing shiny models/sprites which gets ruined once you click the mega button.
Really disappointing if you ask me.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Still miles better than anything in D/P, though. Texture diversity took a real nosedive after the semi-3D transition on the DS. Even Platinum barely inched halfway back to the glory of the cave textures in Hoenn.

Lina

Creatures in Heaven
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This might have already been mentioned here but the berry glitch back in gen three annoyed me to no end! I really loved that I could grow my own berries in gen 3 but once my game hit 100 hours played, they stopped growing and I was really sad that I couldn't grow berries anymore. I got even more annoyed when I eventually found Mirage Island and the Lychee Berries and I wanted more than what I had.

vampire bats are social animals that form strong bonds with other members of their colony. they rely on having others around for thermoregulation in the cold, they readily share food with bats who haven't successfully fed that night (including ones who aren't related to them, so this goes beyond a kin selection effect), and they engage in social grooming. reciprocal cooperative relationships are the norm for vampire bats and maximize their fitness on the individual and group levels, so a friendship evolution for Golbat seems like a logical extension of that - they require strong bonds to function at their peak

when I think of most disappointing Mega, I would think of Mega Latios honestly. It's thanks to Z-Moves and even bigger power creep that made the Mega slot a less of an opportunity cost that it found relevancy in Latios' item slot. In fact, I recall it being required for a while to be even usable in OU.
Previously, Mega Latios is just a bulkier Latios with less power. That role was already filled by Latias and Mega Latias already, so it seemed rather pointless.

Speaking of Megas, why are most Megas Dragon or Psychic types. It's like with the legendaries that each gen we get at least 1 of each Dragon and Psychic Type Legendary Pokemon.
Almost all the Dragons of Hoenn got a Mega, and if we are honest, hardly any of them can be justified. It may an unpopular opinion, but I am glad that Flygon didn't get a mega as well.
While it deserves it more than Salamence, Rayquaza, Latis or Garchomp, but it's not a terrible Pokemon.

Also it's laughable that Gen 5, the Generation with the most new Pokemon introduced has only 1 mega and it's arguably the least useful.

Btw, green is my favorite color, but who came up with the idea to give the Latis' mega olive green as their shiny palett? The normal forms have amazing shiny models/sprites which gets ruined once you click the mega button.
Really disappointing if you ask me.
I always thought that it was disappointing that both Megas kept Levitate. I really think that Mega Latias should have gotten Multiscale and Mega Latios should have got Tinted Lens. Maybe that is a bit OP though, at least you can use Dragon Dance Mega Latios is you wanted to.

Mega Latias is a lot better though, in fact, it’s
S-Tier in National Dex right now. It is nice to see Latias better than Latios for once, because in most metagames, Latios seems to be the more popular one.

I hate how GF programs post gen 3 games

To put this in perspective, say you just want to add ones mon
So you need to edit the graphics.h script to include your sprite/pallete, then update the anim, front, back, pal, and shiny pal script tables
Then you need to edit 2 species scripts
Then 3 more for audio
THEN 2 more for pokedex entries
THEN separate scripts for TM, Tutor, and Level up move sets
THEN base stats
And then of course, edit wild spawn locations
Thats over 10 scripts

Vs GSC where there's only 2 scripts you really need to edit

This also unfortunately is probably why they didn't want to redo the engine afterwards

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
A recent back-and-forth in the Little things you like thread gave me an epiphany, I've finally realized the fundamental flaw that is at the core of why XY's story is so languid and stale: All of the focus was put on the wrong characters

On the one hand, everybody complains about the rivals sucking ass, and yeah, they do. And yet they get so much screentime even though they are so profoundly mediocre and any attempts at personal arcs just fizzle out so pathetically as to be forgotten. At their core, none of these people are remotely interesting or have anything going for them besides one-note traits (haha look at the fat boye do a funny little dance).

Y'know who is though? AZ, a god damn immortal king with one of the most insanely creative and tragic backstories of any Pokemon character, like... Ever. The man who made Kalos what it is today for better or for worse, the man who indirectly created Mega Evolution. This towering figure with such an imposing history, and what does he get? Two whole scenes, one being an exposition dump, and one anticlimactic battle at the very end.

Y'know who else is infinitely more interesting than the bozo rivals? Emma, a young girl stricken by poverty and abandonment who is manipulated for a mad scientist's evil schemes. That right there is material for a powerful story to rival the likes of N and Lillie... Which is why it's all farted out in 2 hours as a mediocre postgame sidequest. Wait, what?!

If I was ever put in charge of finally making Pokemon Z, my first order of business would be simple: Totally junk the worthless """"rivals"""" with the exception of MAYBE Shauna and give these 2 the screentime and development they fucking deserve. Seriously, how messed up were the priorities of this game's writers?!

A recent back-and-forth in the Little things you like thread gave me an epiphany, I've finally realized the fundamental flaw that is at the core of why XY's story is so languid and stale: All of the focus was put on the wrong characters

On the one hand, everybody complains about the rivals sucking ass, and yeah, they do. And yet they get so much screentime even though they are so profoundly mediocre and any attempts at personal arcs just fizzle out so pathetically as to be forgotten. At their core, none of these people are remotely interesting or have anything going for them besides one-note traits (haha look at the fat boye do a funny little dance).

Y'know who is though? AZ, a god damn immortal king with one of the most insanely creative and tragic backstories of any Pokemon character, like... Ever. The man who made Kalos what it is today for better or for worse, the man who indirectly created Mega Evolution. This towering figure with such an imposing history, and what does he get? Two whole scenes, one being an exposition dump, and one anticlimactic battle at the very end.

Y'know who else is infinitely more interesting than the bozo rivals? Emma, a young girl stricken by poverty and abandonment who is manipulated for a mad scientist's evil schemes. That right there is material for a powerful story to rival the likes of N and Lillie... Which is why it's all farted out in 2 hours as a mediocre postgame sidequest. Wait, what?!

If I was ever put in charge of finally making Pokemon Z, my first order of business would be simple: Totally junk the worthless """"rivals"""" with the exception of MAYBE Shauna and give these 2 the screentime and development they fucking deserve. Seriously, how messed up were the priorities of this game's writers?!
My favorite is Selena/Calem being hyped up all game as THE rival when it comes to battling and once you finally get to scrap with them, with the one Mega Ring on the line to boot...

"I'm probably going to lose, but I owe my team to try."

...:facepalm:

I'm sorry, this is just pathetic. It not only made me lose any hype for that match, but it also made me feel bad for stomping them like they predicted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)