(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Jangmo-o: Evolves into Hakamo-o at Level 35, then into Kommo-o at Level 45. This is where it's odd: Jangmo-o is found at minimum in SM at Level 41, and possibly Level 44. It's already well past the point where it can evolve, meaning one level with Jangmo-o and it's out of sight and out of mind, then a few more levels and it evolves again. The time spent with the first two stages in SM is extremely short.
Dreepy: Evolves into Drakloak at Level 50, then into Dragapult at Level 60. In terms of normal Wild Area shenanigans, it's found at Level 50-52, a little above its own minimum level, which means Dreepy is out of sight quick, but you'll still spend a few levels with Drakloak (around 7-9) before it finally evolves into Dragapult. If you do Max Raids, however, Dreepy can feasibly be obtained in a three-star raid in the high 30s, which means you get to spend a fair few levels with Dreepy and the full 10 levels as Drakloak. If you're doing Crown Tundra, you can obtain Dreepy even earlier and spend a long, long time with the weak Dreepy.
I can understand it in Dreepy's case as it's basically made to be unusable early-game, but the Jangmo-o case has actually bothered me a bit since the release of Sun and Moon.

I mean, it's not like using the early stage of a pseudo-legendary is going to break the game or anything; in fact the opposite, as with a few exceptions they are often underwhelming choices for the story early-on...

brock.png

Would it be so hard to, I dunno, put a cave-in at the entrance to Mt. Moon or something? Especially when Route 3 is so dense that it's hard to imagine any team not being ready for Brock after clearing it out.

(Gen I gets a pass because Gen I. By this point, there's no excuse. Especially in the same gen that lets you do exactly this in Hoenn. Can't go too far east because Rusturf Tunnel is closed, but you can go a little east and grab some extra XP.)

View attachment 421700
Would it be so hard to, I dunno, put a cave-in at the entrance to Mt. Moon or something? Especially when Route 3 is so dense that it's hard to imagine any team not being ready for Brock after clearing it out.

(Gen I gets a pass because Gen I. By this point, there's no excuse. Especially in the same gen that lets you do exactly this in Hoenn. Can't go too far east because Rusturf Tunnel is closed, but you can go a little east and grab some extra XP.)
Because it's a remake? Aside from ORAS most Pokémon remakes follow the original beat for beat, only ever adding some small new things here or there, not changing parts of the original script.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Because it's a remake? Aside from ORAS most Pokémon remakes follow the original beat for beat, only ever adding some small new things here or there, not changing parts of the original script.
No. The first 3 sets of remakes were nearer to remasters than remakes. BDSP is the only remake that only added small new things here or there, not changing parts of the original script, and that’s because as we’ve found out they copied the code of Diamond and Pearl. ORAS changed more than FRLG or HGSS, but none of them are faithful remakes by any means.

Opening up Route 3 is better game design and probably would have happened in FRLG had they considered it. Kanto has fairly bad map design in general IMO, something that FRLG should have done more to fix. With that said, adding Mankey as a pre-Brock encounter makes opening up Route 3 largely unnecessary.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The way Gen 2 Pokémon are ordered in the National PokéDex makes no sense and doesn't match the New PokéDex at all. For example:
  • Chinchou and Lanturn, which are mid-game Pokémon, come between the early-game Pokémon.
  • Miltank, a mid-game Pokémon, comes right before the legendaries.
The listing for Kanto Pokemon is similarly wacky like that. Eevee can be obtained very early yet is right at the end of the listing; Venonat comes relatively late but its position suggests the opposite. Similarly, Onix is likely to be in the first 15 Pokemon you see, but it makes an extremely late appearance in the Kanto dex relative to this (#95). Part of me wonders if this is because they wanted to spread the various types out more - there are very few continuous sequences of Pokemon of the same type, unlike later dex listings which often have long runs of similar-typed mons. Johto's listing also separates a lot of Pokemon you'd think would go together, like Pichu, Igglybuff, and Cleffa being set apart from Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, and Tyrogue - perhaps those were all put at the back end to reflect their evolutions coming late in the Kanto listing.

It's not until Gen III that dex orders start to become more reflective of the order in which you were likely to meet various species throughout the game. Hoenn's dex listing, and the listings for Unova, Alola, and especially Kalos, are generally very accurate to the stage of the game you'll meet the Pokemon, with early-game Pokemon at the start and late-game species like Clamperl and Horsea towards the end.

But even then, there are odd inconsistencies. You can't actually catch a Meditite until very late in RS, but it's in the dex at the same point as all the Pokemon you can catch around Dewford - Aron, Skitty, Nosepass, Sableye, Mawile, Magikarp, Mahukita - because you first see it at that stage. Garchomp is infamously slap-bang in the middle of all the Sinnoh Pokemon rather than at the end as most other psuedo-legends are.

Last edited:
The listing for Kanto Pokemon is similarly wacky like that. Eevee can be obtained very early yet is right at the end of the listing; Venonat comes relatively late but its position suggests the opposite. Similarly, Onix is likely to be in the first 15 Pokemon you see, but it makes an extremely late appearance in the Kanto dex relative to this (#95). Part of me wonders if this is because they wanted to spread the various types out more - there are very few continuous sequences of Pokemon of the same type, unlike later dex listings which often have long runs of similar-typed mons. Johto's listing also separates a lot of Pokemon you'd think would go together, like Pichu, Igglybuff, and Cleffa being set apart from Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, and Tyrogue - perhaps those were all put at the back end to reflect their evolutions coming late in the Kanto listing.

It's not until Gen III that dex orders start to become more reflective of the order in which you were likely to meet various species throughout the game. Hoenn's dex listing, and the listings for Unova, Alola, and especially Kalos, are generally very accurate to the stage of the game you'll meet the Pokemon, with early-game Pokemon at the start and late-game species like Clamperl and Horsea towards the end.

But even then, there are odd inconsistencies. You can't actually catch a Meditite until very late in RS, but it's in the dex at the same point as all the Pokemon you can catch around Dewford - Aron, Skitty, Nosepass, Sableye, Mawile, Magikarp, Mahukita - because you first see it at that stage. Garchomp is infamously slap-bang in the middle of all the Sinnoh Pokemon rather than at the end as most other psuedo-legends are.
Meditite I feel was probably originally available in Granite Cave. It's common as a trainer mon throughout the region, and it's NatDex and Hoenn Dex # both place it near Aron, Sableye, Mawile, Nosepass, and even Geodude/Zubat, all of whom are first available in Granite Cave. I suspect they intended it to show up early and then it turned out to be too good because of Huge Power, so they just deleted it's first appearance.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Garchomp is infamously slap-bang in the middle of all the Sinnoh Pokemon rather than at the end as most other psuedo-legends are.
Gen 4/Sinnoh's Pokedex order is odd because Diamond and Pearl, the base games of the region, didn't have all the newly introduced Pokemon available in the main campaign of the game, which is something Platinum had to rectify. The Gen 4 dex listing is pretty accurate up to Abomasnow and Weavile, which is the end of the listing of Pokemon who were available in the DP campaign specifically without Platinum in the picture, in that all the Pokemon listed up to Weavile are in the order you see them in DP Sinnoh, and then after Weavile and before Uxie they just crammed all the new cross gen evos who weren't listed beforehand in an arbitrary order. Garchomp is a bit of an odd case: if you were to rule out the then-postgame cross gen evos from the mix and just put Weavile right next to Uxie it's still pretty close to the legendaries in the dex, around the same amount of distance from them as Goodra is in the Gen 6 listing, and going off the DP dex in and of itself it's in the later third of the dex with its Sinnoh number being #111 in a dex consisting of 150 Pokemon. Aside from that, the ones who were available in the original DP are listed in the order you see them in DP, then the rest were crammed haphazardly between Weavile (the latest available new mon from DP) and Uxie (the first legendary of the region in the dex), as they were originally post-game encounters in DP. Unova, Kalos, and Alola definitely align more in availability order since every new mon introduced was available in the main campaign of their debut. Oddly enough, Galar broke this trend and the Gen 8 Dex order officially in the national listings in HOME is completely different from the availability order in-game (and in the Galar Dex itself).

Goodra and Garchomp are the anomalies amongst the pseudos in that regard in that they are further from the end of the dex than most others, but in these cases it's arguably because Gible and Goomy are available rather early in their debut games compared to other pseudos: Bagon, Beldum, Deino, Jangmo-o, and Dreepy are usually not obtainable in their base games until very close to the end of the main campaign (Beldum is straight up post-game in the Hoenn games), while Goomy and Gible are more mid-game Pokemon as they are found just before/after the sixth Gym in their debut games. Platinum Gible notably is an extremely early game Pokemon which is unusual for a pseudo-legendary in most cases.

Meditite I feel was probably originally available in Granite Cave. It's common as a trainer mon throughout the region, and it's NatDex and Hoenn Dex # both place it near Aron, Sableye, Mawile, Nosepass, and even Geodude/Zubat, all of whom are first available in Granite Cave. I suspect they intended it to show up early and then it turned out to be too good because of Huge Power, so they just deleted it's first appearance.
Another thing reinforcing this is that you actually see Trainers in the nearby Gym use Meditite, which further points to the idea that it was supposed to be available in the Granite Cave at one point imo.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Not necessarily. I think they put it in the middle of the dex so that it wouldn't open up a giant gap between the Pokemon you're currently meeting and the position Meditite should be at, which based on its location would be around #145.

Because that's what happens in Kanto: you can buy a Magikarp early on, which is #129, so for a while you end up with a massive empty gap in the Pokedex that takes ages to fill up. Personally I'm not bothered by this, but I suspect the intent on Game Freak's part is to have the Pokedex open up gradually rather than be flung open all at once. That's what happens with the area-specific dexes in Kalos, Alola, and Galar as well.

Idk. I might be overthinking that.

Gen 4/Sinnoh's Pokedex order is odd because Diamond and Pearl, the base games of the region, didn't have all the newly introduced Pokemon available in the main campaign of the game, which is something Platinum had to rectify. The Gen 4 dex listing is pretty accurate up to Abomasnow and Weavile, which is the end of the listing of Pokemon who were available in the DP campaign specifically without Platinum in the picture, in that all the Pokemon listed up to Weavile are in the order you see them in DP Sinnoh, and then after Weavile and before Uxie they just crammed all the new cross gen evos who weren't listed beforehand in an arbitrary order. Garchomp is a bit of an odd case: if you were to rule out the then-postgame cross gen evos from the mix and just put Weavile right next to Uxie it's still pretty close to the legendaries in the dex, around the same amount of distance from them as Goodra is in the Gen 6 listing, and going off the DP dex in and of itself it's in the later third of the dex with its Sinnoh number being #111 in a dex consisting of 150 Pokemon. Aside from that, the ones who were available in the original DP are listed in the order you see them in DP, then the rest were crammed haphazardly between Weavile (the latest available new mon from DP) and Uxie (the first legendary of the region in the dex), as they were originally post-game encounters in DP. Unova, Kalos, and Alola definitely align more in availability order since every new mon introduced was available in the main campaign of their debut. Oddly enough, Galar broke this trend and the Gen 8 Dex order officially in the national listings in HOME is completely different from the availability order in-game (and in the Galar Dex itself).
Platinum's sort of the best of both worlds because the first part of the Sinnoh Dex in that game is more or less in order and then you go past Dialga and Palkia and it's just a complete hodgepodge. It's a very unnatural dex listing (though I do like this emerging trend of having legendaries in the middle of the dex rather than all at the end).

I think the simple fact you're trying to put logic in early generations pokedex order is already overthinking.

Spoilers: there's none, most pokemon are just in order of when they finished designing them, with just notably starters at start and legendaries at the end.
It's definitely not order they finished designing them considering we know how they designed them from the index listings and prototypes and design documents.

There probably was some internal logic to it at the time, perhaps even as simple as "we want a variety of pokemon all around so as you see them it fills in the dex differently" combined with "we'll group some pokemon up due to similar [theme, area, oddities, etc]. There definitely are a variety of things where it all "linse up". A lot of the Mt Moon crew are together, a lot of the post-surf fish are together, a large chunk of the early game encounters are together, and i dont think its coincidental that all the "weirdos" are put towards the end, etc. In gen 2 you have mini "families" like the cutesy babies together while the "strong" babies are together at the end, or how they grouped some of the normal types together at the end, how the "mysterious" pokemon (unown, slowking, misdreavus, murkrow, etc) are all next to each other, and so on.

I think in general people can be kind of quick to go "there was litereally absolutely no thought put into anything in gen 1 & 2, it's all just a mess thrown together". It's definitely a mess caused by long standing development issues but it seems, whats the word I'm looking for. Disingenuous? to apply it to literally everything. They were still designing a game, there was still purposeful design in play even for weird jumbles as opposed to gen 3 & on where they had more alignment under their feet.

Then Gen 8 happened and it's like a throw back. There's large chunks that line up approximately with where you encounter them normally...
  • 810-836 - everything before the wild area
  • 837-842 - the Rolycoly line, found in the mine and Route 3, & the Applin line found Route 5
  • 854-861 - Sinistea, Hatenna & Impidimp lines. You can encounter hatenna briefly earlier but these 3 lines are all encountered in the same spot in the tangle.
  • 870-875 + 877 - Falinks, Pincurchin, Snom line, Stonjourner, Eiscue. Morpeko is also here. You encoutner the first three (four) all in a row and while Stonjourner & Eiscue arent ecounterd until Route 10, you still fight them at the town directly after you encounter the others. Morpeko is encountered right after so being so close to them doesnt strike as coincidence.
but then a bunch of where it's just kind of "huh..." scattered all around:
  • Milcery is found well after where it would be reasonably encountered in the wild (just after rolycoly) and first really encountered by a "notable" trainer, instead being towards the end just before the ice brigade and right after the grouped-together regional evolutions
  • Some Pokemon you could hand wave as Wild Area stuff (Cramorant comes to mind, as does Clobbopus iirc) but then Cufant is even further towards the end
  • INdeedee is so far from its home, it comes between Eiscue & Morpeko
But I suppose without a national dex mode none of that really matters. Maybe this was an indication of some earlier plans, and then just kept with the National Dex order even after those plans changed? Who can say. But I'd still be willing to guess there was some internal logic at play.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can understand it in Dreepy's case as it's basically made to be unusable early-game, but the Jangmo-o case has actually bothered me a bit since the release of Sun and Moon.

I mean, it's not like using the early stage of a pseudo-legendary is going to break the game or anything; in fact the opposite, as with a few exceptions they are often underwhelming choices for the story early-on...
Nah, pseudo-legendaries are much more devious than that. The first stage tends to be pretty good early on, as it tends to learn a couple of decently powerful STAB moves to use off decent stats for that point of the game. Moves like Dragon Breath or Rock Slide at level 15 is nothing to sneeze at.

However, the middle stage tends to be hot trash. Moves that were awesome at level 20 are not so by level 40, and by 50 you're begging for the mediocre period to end. This is also the point where you realize how much XP these things can soak up without gaining a level. And how slow and frail they are, so even if you put them at the front of your party so they gain more XP, they tend to get KO'd by random stuff and don't get any XP at all (thus falling further behind the rest of your team ...) They truly resemble one of those "monkey's paw" traps, where you are enticed by something that looks good, but by reaching for it you enter a situation you cannot escape without letting go of the prize. The prospect of getting a powerful Tyranitar to unleash upon your enemies is too enticing to give up, but as anybody that has trained a Pupitar through the level 40's in-story can tell you, you really shouldn't let that prospect blind you. And at the end, joke's on you, you have your pseudo-legendary, but there are like five (to be precise, exactly five) trainers left for them to fight before the whole game is over. And at least a couple of them specialize in typings your pseudo-legendary is weak to. All that suffering for so little.

Anyway, regarding the Jangmo-o situation, I think the designers were faced with a dilemma, namely which of these two questions they wanted to guide the design:
1) What roles do we want Jangmo-o to be able to fit?
2) What role do we want Jangmo-o to fit in this game?

As ScraftyIsTheBest outlined, most pseudo-legendaries are built so that you find them somewhat underleveled for the area where they are encountered, and have to use the base form for a handful of levels before they evolve, then use the middle form for a while until you get your "high-investment-high-reward" prize, the final evolution. However, with the modern XP formula, the impact of presenting a Pokémon severely underleveled is dampened quite a bit, as it is much easier to bring up to par than what used to be the case. This has led the designers to try presenting the base form at a level appropriate to the area, and crank evolution levels up to match. Hence Deino, which evolves absurdly late at level 50 and then again at 64. Dreepy is another example of this school of thought.

However, while this makes the Pokémon suitable in that one game, it makes it much more difficult to fit into a later game. After their debut generation where they play the role of super-elusive late-game prize, pseudo-legendaries tend to be re-assigned to serve as rare Pokémon encounterable somewhere earlier in the game. Pokémon you can pick up around the third Gym and use in-game throughout your adventure, in anticipation of that sweet pseudo-legendary that will make it all worth it (in a similar fashion to how cuckoo eggs look enticing to prospective bird parents).

However, Deino and Dreepy are completely pants for this role. Their late evolution makes them awfully underpowered for most of your adventure, and depending on the game you may not even see them evolve twice before the credits. They were designed as "prize Pokémon" appropriate for the level they are found in their first game, which makes them unsuitable in any other context. They simply remain too weak for too long. Pokémon like Gabite, Metang, or Pupitar can at least pull their weight in the early mid-game, and their final evolution happens around Victory Road or thereabout.

Going back to Jangmo-o, I think the designers looked forward when they designed it. They wanted it to not be useless in subsequent games, which means "midgame" evolution levels, but they also wanted it to be exclusive to the final area, which for all practical purposes means "endgame" encounter levels (if they had presented it at level 15, it wouldn't take more than a few battles for it to reach the level for evolving into Hakamo-o anyway, thanks to the XP scaling formula). It meant that immediate Hakamo-o was inevitable, and so was almost-immediate Kommo-o.

What baffles me is how they not only reverted to the other school of thought with Dreepy, but somehow made it even worse. It evolves from a weak base form at level 50, but it is also encountered at level 50, meaning that the weakling Dreepy stage is completely irrelevant in its debut game, but it completely torpedoes its viability in all future games. Dreepy is pitifully weak until level 50, making it a millstone for the player's team unless it is obtained at a similar level, and even when you get Drakloak it will already be underpowered for a level 50 'mon and you're stuck with it for ten more levels, which may be more levels than the story mode has content for.

I suspect that future games will just give us Drakloak directly at level 30-something, to make it a somewhat viable companion for the story mode. It's the level at which Dreepy should have evolved already, so there could be some overlap between the weakness of the first stage and the "viability power curve" of the game. Dreepy somehow has the worst of both worlds. It evolves way too late, and is way too weak until it does so, and it still didn't even get a satisfactory progression in its debut game to show for it.

Yet again: They need to just go through and do a complete rework of the evolution methods. Figure out what each method* should be used for, what power level each should imply, and what condensing of various options can be done. Does Rhyperior need a special item, or is trade enough? When should a fire stone be generally available, and is that out of line with any of the current Fire Stone users? If so, should they have extra requirements or should they just be tagged internally "don't make available until level X"? It would be a lot of busywork, but it's not hard, and they could easily eliminate a lot of bloat and make all future games better by increasing the availability and balance of past gen mons.

Which is where my real unpopular opinion comes in: Dexit didn't go far enough. They should have taken a serious look at what balance means, what options are cruft, and what reworks are necessary. And if that meant cutting down to a 200-mon dex initially then so be it. Figure out where you want mons to be in-game and what those placements mean, which items are beneficial and which aren't, and go from there. I don't mean that every final evo should be equal, far from it, but if something is supposed to be rare and powerful, that should be the case. If something isn't supposed to be incredibly OP, or if it was once but that's no longer the case, then maybe don't gate it behind a lvl 40 evolution off of a trash basic form. And if something isn't supposed to be broken but it is, identify why and fix it so that players aren't running around with a 555 BST fire-type at lvl 10.

*Level, Trade, Friendship, Item, Location, Special

Usually evolution levels for Pokemon are scaled with respect to the minimum level they can be found in the wild in their debut game, so that the player when catching it can spend a few levels with each stage before evolving, usually somewhere around 10 per stage or possibly 20 or so, and even in the context of Alola, for most of its Pokemon that is the case.
I wish Game Freak would try and take a more dynamic approach to evolution levels. The traditional approach you outlined (where you spend a decent amount of time raising the Pokemon at each stage) definitely holds a lot of appeal, but it adds to the mountain of stuff that creates issues in later gens. I feel truly awful for any new players who picked up SM without having played Gen 5 and tried to raise a Rufflet or Vullaby caught on Melemele Island.

Now that evolution moves are tied to the evolution itself rather than the level, I feel like they could implement a system where Pokemon evolve after being raised a certain amount from whatever level they were captured at, rather than needing to reach a specific level. I'm sure this would create a bunch of new issues, but I feel like it'd be a more flexible and resilient system.

In a similar vein, it bums me out that you always end up spending so little time with your starter Pokemon in their base form. At most, you beat one gym before they evolve, and in the case of SwSh that number is zero.

I feel like they could implement a system where Pokemon evolve after being raised a certain amount from whatever level they were captured at, rather than needing to reach a specific level. I'm sure this would create a bunch of new issues, but I feel like it'd be a more flexible and resilient system.
Temtem does that, but the starters don't evolve until halfway through the game, which bothered me.

Which is where my real unpopular opinion comes in: Dexit didn't go far enough. They should have taken a serious look at what balance means, what options are cruft, and what reworks are necessary. And if that meant cutting down to a 200-mon dex initially then so be it. Figure out where you want mons to be in-game and what those placements mean, which items are beneficial and which aren't, and go from there. I don't mean that every final evo should be equal, far from it, but if something is supposed to be rare and powerful, that should be the case. If something isn't supposed to be incredibly OP, or if it was once but that's no longer the case, then maybe don't gate it behind a lvl 40 evolution off of a trash basic form. And if something isn't supposed to be broken but it is, identify why and fix it so that players aren't running around with a 555 BST fire-type at lvl 10.
I think this comes down to the fact that despite the lip-service, Dexit wasn't much of a balance act or list, or at least not a very active one. The claim is that it would help make for a more balanced game, but I doubt that went further than "less stuff = less variables = more balanced probably" rather than looking over any Pokemon for adjustment. Not to say I expected that given the sheer scope of even the remaining roster, but it does make that explanation ring a bit hollow to me, another statement in a PR Circus that ranges from "you are not seeing the scope of these statements" to "you cynical suits are passing the buck for something unpopular"

It annoys me to no end how in HGSS your rival doesn't evolve his Magneton or Sneasel for his final recurring rematches at the Pokémon League. In a game full of curious decisions (I say this as a fan of these games) this one really stands out. HGSS is sandwiched as a remake between FRLG and ORAS, both of which had the good sense to revamp your rivals' rosters in their final renditions to contain some modern flair and give the games a true feeling of a remake, at least as it pertains to the rivals. HGSS on the other hand updated almost every other boss team (including Red) in a rematch or original battle, with the only exceptions being the Rocket Admins and of course your rival. Just an utterly inexplicable decision. His final team could have been a daunting, evenly spread mix of Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh mons. Instead it just ends up feeling kinda lackluster.

It annoys me to no end how in HGSS your rival doesn't evolve his Magneton or Sneasel for his final recurring rematches at the Pokémon League. In a game full of curious decisions (I say this as a fan of these games) this one really stands out. HGSS is sandwiched as a remake between FRLG and ORAS, both of which had the good sense to revamp your rivals' rosters in their final renditions to contain some modern flair and give the games a true feeling of a remake, at least as it pertains to the rivals. HGSS on the other hand updated almost every other boss team (including Red) in a rematch or original battle, with the only exceptions being the Rocket Admins and of course your rival. Just an utterly inexplicable decision. His final team could have been a daunting, evenly spread mix of Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh mons. Instead it just ends up feeling kinda lackluster.
With Magneton you at least kind of have an excuse with Magneton not being able to evolve in Johto* (Jasmine gets around this by getting to visit Sinnoh) but not having Weavile is especially weird.

*It still baffles me to why they didn't include a magnetic zone, grass rock & ice rock in HGSS

Like they're already fully rebuilding those routes and city tilesets and adding all kinds of new things (especially in Kanto). Just like...

Mark the Power Plant or Mahogany(/the surrounding area) or Goldenrod/Saffron as magnetic (THERE'S LITERALLY A M A G N E T T R A I N), throw a mossy rock into literally any of the forests, and then icy rock can go into Ice Path or Seafoam!

*It still baffles me to why they didn't include a magnetic zone, grass rock & ice rock in HGSS

Like they're already fully rebuilding those routes and city tilesets and adding all kinds of new things (especially in Kanto). Just like...

Mark the Power Plant or Mahogany(/the surrounding area) or Goldenrod/Saffron as magnetic (THERE'S LITERALLY A M A G N E T T R A I N), throw a mossy rock into literally any of the forests, and then icy rock can go into Ice Path or Seafoam!
Mossy rock and icy rock in Ilex Forest and Ice Path were just straight up layups that were somehow missed. They even roughly coincide with the pacing of when you could possibly obtain Leafeon and Glaceon in Platinum.

Mossy rock and icy rock in Ilex Forest and Ice Path were just straight up layups that were somehow missed. They even roughly coincide with the pacing of when you could possibly obtain Leafeon and Glaceon in Platinum.
& if they (for whatever reason, like most of the cross-gen the stone evolutions) wanted them post game then we have Viridian Forest & Seafoam Islands (which both had to be completely rebuilt anyway!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)