(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The Arceus requests are a red herring to the real problem. Sure, they're annoying, but the real issue is that most of the reasonable trade requests are snatched up really quickly. If there weren't a ton of people requesting Arceus/Darkrai/Moltres for Nidorans, the GTS would just be empty. Them banning people from requesting legendaries probably wouldn't cause a huge influx of reasonable trade requests.
True, but it would still keep out requests for the legally impossible like level 1-10 Diancie, and make it easier to possibly find the reasonable requests. As it is... the GTS may as well be empty.

If you really need an event Pokemon anyway, why not ask a friend to trade it over to you for the dex, and then you give it back? It really wouldn't be that hard.

If you really need an event Pokemon anyway, why not ask a friend to trade it over to you for the dex, and then you give it back? It really wouldn't be that hard.
That's also assuming you just want its Pokedex entry, and not that you really want the mythical Pokemon itself. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people requesting the likes of Darkrai, Arceus, and Genesect would have no intention of a simple touch trade, and they're not on Smogon or other Pokemon communities. (also, given their rarity even here on Smogon and the natural focus on soft resetting for a competitive one, people here are likely to be asking for something really valuable in exchange)

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
It would be reasonable if they wouldn't always ask for Event exclusives or under-leveled ones though. I've seen ones for lvl 30 Deoxys, and it's just like... it's like it's not only little kids, but those trades are the trolls.
Lv 30 Deoxys used to be a thing. Way back in the GBA era when event items were still cool.

Come to think of it, since Deoxys can be caught normally now, is it tradeable on the GTS? Never bothered to check, but if not, that's quite an overlook

It can be traded on the GTS, I was tempted to trade mine so I could get something. If you haven't caught it though (I assume you have) it's at lvl 80, much higher than the level 21-30 I once saw.

Honestly, I find the idea of event pokemon in the first place. It really annoys me that even though I bought every single main series pokemon game, I am still unable to fully complete my pokedex. I also believe these event exclusively pokemon restrict the storyline quite a bit, take for example victini in bw1, if you went to library island around the time you beat the 3rd gym, it actually felt like team plasma wanted to use victini and you were the one to save it, but because it was event exclusively they could not follow it up later. the same goes for the other event exclusive mons.

Event pokemon also restrict the competitive side of pokemon, as they are excluded from every official Nintendo format.

Honestly, I find the idea of event pokemon in the first place. It really annoys me that even though I bought every single main series pokemon game, I am still unable to fully complete my pokedex. I also believe these event exclusively pokemon restrict the storyline quite a bit, take for example victini in bw1, if you went to library island around the time you beat the 3rd gym, it actually felt like team plasma wanted to use victini and you were the one to save it, but because it was event exclusively they could not follow it up later. the same goes for the other event exclusive mons.

Event pokemon also restrict the competitive side of pokemon, as they are excluded from every official Nintendo format.
I aggree that I don't see the point of events. However, I am glad that they are banned. Keldeo running around on Battle Spot would be a nightmare, and at least Darkrai in VGC.

I do like the idea of event 'mon; but I don't like the fact that they remain event 'mon after their special little time in the spotlight as gone on.
I mean... what I would like is that say, in Gen 3 Deoxys and Jirachi are unobtainable unless through events, but then in Gen 4 you get a non-event way to obtain them; like say in the aftergame Deoxys appears in Veilstone beside the meteorites are something. They've taken a good first step towards it with Deoxys in ORAS, but imo every event Pokémon should be normally obtainable after their generation's over. That's not to say that they should be in every consecutive game tho; that's just silly.

Mythical Pokemon usually don't have much story tied to them, and to expect the story to follow up on them is rather silly. I also don't believe they restrict the competitive side of things much because most of them would be prohibited from participating in the same events Mewtwo and Giratina (for example) are anyway. Although this may indeed be a tad unfair for a couple like Keldeo and Celebi.

The only problem is that even if more Event Legends on the lines of Keldeo and Celebi lose their event status, Nintendo is likely going to keep them banned. I could be wrong since the only one we've had so far is Deoxys, but I mean, even semi-event Phione is banned and that one we can actually breed! And Phione's stats have never been considered good, if it it existed in other generations before Gen IV.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Only problem is when one stat is naturally higher, but you want to do something different. Also, this isn't unprecedented (Hyper Beam and Giga Impact).
Fair enough. And I suppose having a Physical Hidden Power would also allow a Pokemon to have the Special Hidden Power (of course that could be why there's only Hidden Power, they don't want it so a Pokemon has two answers for possible weaknesses/walls). I suppose they could also let you select what category you want Hidden Power to be. Heck, I think they should just let you be able to see someone and they can change Hidden Power's type (and Category) since now its Power is set (and it'll also allow it to be Fairy- and possibly Normal-type).

Did moves like Flamethrower really need a power reduction? And why do moves like Thunder get a power reduction, but still have the same horrible accuracy? What's the point?

And the new cries. Most of them sound bad, and while there are some exceptions- (A LOT of the Sinnoh Pkmn)- I still prefer the old ones.

And need I mention the greedy 7 yr olds on the GTS?
I suspect next gen they'll maybe be switching most of the Special Moves back to the Power they had. I forgot where we discussed it, but GF mistook there being a wide range of Special Moves for Special being overpowered. If they wanted to encourage the use of physical Pokemon (though honestly I haven't seen a decreased use for physical Pokemon due to not having a wide option of powerful Physical moves) then make more powerful Physical moves/adjust the power of existing Physical moves. That said I also stand by my opinion they wanted to make the Fairy-type look stronger with most of its moves being Special and it getting one that's 95 Power yet other 95 Power moves were lowered to 90.

Honestly I haven't really noticed the cries. Well, no, thinking about it I do remember thinking that they do sound like coming from a warped speaker instead of sounding crisp.

Are we sure they're 7 year olds? I swear some of the offers on their are people just trolling or begging. Especially worse when its a somewhat difficult Pokemon to normally. The reasonable requests are taken quick, usually I find its better just to put up my own Pokemon (usually version exclusive or a starter).

Event Pokemon:
Now I like the idea of Event Pokemon, its just I did wish they did more with them. In theory an Event Pokemon allows GF to make a special Pokemon they wouldn't normally make (usually because of game balance) as a special gift to players and maybe even add some intrigue and story to the Pokemon World. However in practice the way Event Pokemon have been handled is more like just getting a trophy. Though they have backstory its not anything deep nor does it open up like a side quest, as of Gen IV the distribution of Event Legendaries (at least the ones relating to their respective generation) should be free over the internet, and they're banned in any extra battling activites you'd want to use them in like the Battle Facility and most Tournaments. Plus if you miss out on getting one the likelihood of getting another chance is long as they have so many of them now and they'd rather focus on the ones for the current generation that ones from the old.

Kurona brings up an interesting idea and point. Why after their generation keep them Event/Mythical Pokemon? It just makes them more difficult to get and honestly by next gen they would have lost most of their appeal since there's new Event Legendaries to get. Actually making them available may bring back some appeal to them, especially those who missed their chance to get them when they were an event. Though obviously they shouldn't be that easy to get, I say maybe make them available in the next gen's third version's/second paired version's post game (that way it keeps them special for at least the first part of the next generation and would give players a reason to buy the third/second pair even though they played the (first) paired games) would be fair enough. And also once they make it available there they don't have to make it available again for a while (like the normal Legendary Pokemon).

As for adding more story to them, I'm just asking for maybe a little side quest that explores the Event Legendaries story. Like you get the Event Legendary and by taking it somewhere/showing it to someone they'll give you a task to learn more about it and maybe even get something out of it like an item for it or it able to learn a signature move. Maybe even require to complete the task with said Event Pokemon as your only Pokemon so that it gives you something to do with it. Extending on that, I wouldn't mind a normal adventure battle mode or something that doesn't restrict what Pokemon you can use. Like the White Treehollow/Black Tower in BW2 was a neat little thing and I enjoyed how there was a little story connect to it (as well as the story of the people in White Forest/Black City progressed as you went further through). Or maybe even have a special mode in the Battle Facility that lets you (and the NPCs) use any Pokemon.

And if they ever do want to release ex-Event Pokemon as Events, well just make them Shiny, have them have their Hidden Ability, or give them a special move or something. Afterall they're still Legendary Pokemon you only get one of in each game, I don't think anyone will go "Oh, I already have that Mythical Pokemon so I'll just pass up that Event".

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Kinda annoys me that Arceus doesn't have different Menu Sprites for each of it's forms; in contrast to Gen 4 and 5 where it did.
Damn the things I whine about keep getting more and more minor
Well it is the "(Little) Things that annoy you" thread. However there is some merit to your complaint. Having a different menu sprite for each of Arceus forms would help you immediately remember what form you had it in without needing to check it stat screen, especially if you had multiple Arceus in your party for some reason. Also, while Arceus forms are permanent as long as its holding its plate and are simple recolors, for other Pokemon with temporary forms they went out of their way to give all their forms sprites: Castform (who's form is dependent on the weather), Burmy (what form it is is only useful to know when its going to evolve, otherwise its completely cosmetic. Also if Burmy can change what cloak it is before it evolves it makes this further pointless), Cherrim (another weather dependent form), Deerling & Sawsbuck (purely cosmetic and effected by a mechanic that doesn't effect battles), Vivillon (once again cosmetic), Flabebe & Floette & Florges (cosmetic; FUN FACT: AZ's Floette has its own Menu Sprite
), and Furfrou (cosmetic, and it's only that way for 4 days). You could also add Shellos, Gastrodon, Unfezant, Basculin, Darmanitan Zen Mode, Frillish, Jelliscent, Meloetta Piroutte Forme, Keldeo's Resolite Forme, Pyroar, and Aegislash to that list though I didn't since I feel they have a bit of an excuse. And most of these aren't recolors, they involve some work.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Kinda annoys me that Arceus doesn't have different Menu Sprites for each of it's forms; in contrast to Gen 4 and 5 where it did.
Damn the things I whine about keep getting more and more minor
To be fair, we are kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel now with things to have a whinge about. I think basically every single negative option/opinion has been expressed in this thread. I am utterly amazed at the little things which people moan about :P

Well it is the "(Little) Things that annoy you" thread. However there is some merit to your complaint. Having a different menu sprite for each of Arceus forms would help you immediately remember what form you had it in without needing to check it stat screen, especially if you had multiple Arceus in your party for some reason. Also, while Arceus forms are permanent as long as its holding its plate and are simple recolors, for other Pokemon with temporary forms they went out of their way to give all their forms sprites: Castform (who's form is dependent on the weather), Burmy (what form it is is only useful to know when its going to evolve, otherwise its completely cosmetic. Also if Burmy can change what cloak it is before it evolves it makes this further pointless), Cherrim (another weather dependent form), Deerling & Sawsbuck (purely cosmetic and effected by a mechanic that doesn't effect battles), Vivillon (once again cosmetic), Flabebe & Floette & Florges (cosmetic; FUN FACT: AZ's Floette has its own Menu Sprite
), and Furfrou (cosmetic, and it's only that way for 4 days). You could also add Shellos, Gastrodon, Unfezant, Basculin, Darmanitan Zen Mode, Frillish, Jelliscent, Meloetta Piroutte Forme, Keldeo's Resolite Forme, Pyroar, and Aegislash to that list though I didn't since I feel they have a bit of an excuse. And most of these aren't recolors, they involve some work.
The Megas also have their own Menu sprites; and I'm glad that the extra effort was put in for this - however just like the dex, it seems the Arceus and Genesect recolours aren't registered as new forms to be shown.

Has this progressed to all gens? If so...

Was is Jasmine rocking a two Level 30 magnemites, when Price has a level 31 pilowsine as his highest??? I like the more open ended method that johto used, but it makes no sense the the 5th is stronger than 6th. IT works in Pt, as it naturally puts you in hearthome city, but there is really no direction to be found in that part of the game

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Has this progressed to all gens? If so...

Was is Jasmine rocking a two Level 30 magnemites, when Price has a level 31 pilowsine as his highest??? I like the more open ended method that johto used, but it makes no sense the the 5th is stronger than 6th. IT works in Pt, as it naturally puts you in hearthome city, but there is really no direction to be found in that part of the game
Because we ran out of things to complain about in Gen VI so we moved onto the other generations.

Actually, going by order, Jasmine is 6th followed by Pryce, but yeah it still makes no sense. Guess maybe they wanted to show off the strength of Steel-types? Actually it could have been done for flavor reason, like Pryce is old and so are his Pokemon so they're technically weaker than a young Gym Leader's Pokemon (yes, I know, sounds silly but it's done again later in Kanto when Janine's Pokemon are weaker because she's a new Gym Leader). It could be due to early installment weirdness as later games just played the Gym Leader's strength strait. Though they didn't really fix it in HGSS. *shrugs*

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but I hate how you can't get easy PP Ups and Maxes in this Generation. Last gen, it was as easy as camping in front of that one rock, grinding Star Pieces, then getting seven of them from that one guy in that town you can only get to through the Battle Subway. That and you often got Ups and Maxes from people at the Stadiums in Nimbasa. I miss that so much.

Talking about PP Ups.. In XY/ORAS PvP battles, a lot of statistics of the players get shown. Amount of eggs hatched, amount of Wi-Fi battles played, amount of BP earned, et cetera.. But why the hell does it tell us how many PP Ups the players have used? Maybe it's just me, but to me it looks really stupid.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but I hate how you can't get easy PP Ups and Maxes in this Generation. Last gen, it was as easy as camping in front of that one rock, grinding Star Pieces, then getting seven of them from that one guy in that town you can only get to through the Battle Subway. That and you often got Ups and Maxes from people at the Stadiums in Nimbasa. I miss that so much.
Pokémon Global Link, in combination with bulk Wonder Trading to rack up easy Poké Miles, is a pretty great way of building up PP Up. Trading off the rejects from a breeding project generally earns enough miles to max out the PP of the Pokémon you bred too, unless you got especially lucky while breeding.

Wonder Trading also helps with your odds of winning a PP Up / PP Max in the Loto, though that's limited to one per day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)