(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Indeed, being unable to change a nickname of a traded Pokemon does feel archaic. Like if they want to enforce it they could make you have to pay for it, but the option should still be possible:

Name Rater: "Hello, hello! I am the official Name Rater! Want me to rate the nicknames of your Pokemon?"
(Select "Yes")
Name Rater: "Which Pokemon's nickname should I rate for you?"
(Select Traded Pokemon)
Name Rater: "Hmmm. (Pokemon nickname)! That is a truly impeccable nickname! I can't say anything bad about it! Don't you agree?"
(Select "No")
Name Rater: "What? You don't like it's nickname? The nickname of (Pokemon's nickname) came from its previous trainer. Everything they thought about it is strongly ingrained in that nickname! Are you sure you want to change it?"
(Select "Yes")
Name Rater: "Very well, but I don't feel right changing the nickname of (Pokemon's nickname) that its previous trainer gave it. While I normally offer my services for free, in this case I must charge for it. It'll cost (price)."
(Select "Yes" and pay cost)
Name Rater: "Done! From now on, this Pokemon shall be known as (nickname)! I don't think it's better than it's old name, but what's important is that you both like it. Take good care of (Pokemon's nickname)."

Indeed, being unable to change a nickname of a traded Pokemon does feel archaic. Like if they want to enforce it they could make you have to pay for it, but the option should still be possible:

Name Rater: "Hello, hello! I am the official Name Rater! Want me to rate the nicknames of your Pokemon?"
(Select "Yes")
Name Rater: "Which Pokemon's nickname should I rate for you?"
(Select Traded Pokemon)
Name Rater: "Hmmm. (Pokemon nickname)! That is a truly impeccable nickname! I can't say anything bad about it! Don't you agree?"
(Select "No")
Name Rater: "What? You don't like it's nickname? The nickname of (Pokemon's nickname) came from its previous trainer. Everything they thought about it is strongly ingrained in that nickname! Are you sure you want to change it?"
(Select "Yes")
Name Rater: "Very well, but I don't feel right changing the nickname of (Pokemon's nickname) that its previous trainer gave it. While I normally offer my services for free, in this case I must charge for it. It'll cost (price)."
(Select "Yes" and pay cost)
Name Rater: "Done! From now on, this Pokemon shall be known as (nickname)! I don't think it's better than it's old name, but what's important is that you both like it. Take good care of (Pokemon's nickname)."
Perfectly put. But it’s a bit formal. And I also think gamefreak should just let you change it as normal. I don’t like any nicknames. I like all my Pokémon t named what they are.gamefreak clearly put a lot of thought into the name, even if it is just Muk. So yes, changing names is nice, but it shouldn’t matter about the trade part.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Perfectly put. But it’s a bit formal. And I also think gamefreak should just let you change it as normal. I don’t like any nicknames. I like all my Pokémon t named what they are.gamefreak clearly put a lot of thought into the name, even if it is just Muk. So yes, changing names is nice, but it shouldn’t matter about the trade part.
There are people, especially those who do Nuzlockes or battle competitively, who put a lot of thought into the nicknames of their Pokemon. Even if they plan on trading that Pokemon away, they may name the Pokemon something to give the person it's being traded to a nice message. To many a good nickname is just as important of a customization feature as the Poke Ball the Pokemon is in or if the Pokemon is Shiny.

Now, I'm sure 99.9% of trades aren't this and there's plenty who trade a Pokemon with an insulting or joke nickname. Still, there are those who do take nicknames into serious thought and then trade to a friend or family member. I wrote the hypothetical dialogue so formally so that the trainer has two opportunities to think it over, just incase it is a Pokemon who had some serious thought put into its name. As for Pokemon with the insulting/joke nickname, you can just ignore the dialogue as you'll obviously want to change it. It's also keeping within the in-game character's personality.

Just having wondertrade Pokemon exempt would be nice. Not being able to change a friend's Pokemon's name makes sense but most of the time I'd just want to change the language of the name for Pokemon from WT.

One of the biggest annoyances with nicknames to be honest for me comes with foreign names: I softtilt when I am looking for a non breedable mon and it comes with a foreign (expecially chinese or japanese) name which I can't even change.

At least I'd appreciate if non nicknamed mons went to the localized name of the game of the player instead of keeping geroglyphics.

Watch what happens when you throw a rock at a sheet of ice. Or smack it with a metal object. Or introduce it to your fist. Congratulations! You now know why Ice is weak to Rock, Steel, and Fighting.

Well, Tornadus gets Tailwind to double its team's Speed for four turns...
And Thundurus can learn Agility and Landorus can learn Rock Polish. The other 2 can learn speed boosting moves.

Here’s another thing that’s been bugging me: Why don’t we have any event battles these days? I remember when they did the eon ticket via StreetPass in ORAS, I thought it was brilliant. Previous events has the issue of being discontinued shortly, but with streetpass, you can receive during anytime. It was an incredibly easy way to spread an item locked behind an event. So why hasn’t GF done this again?

After thinking about it for sometime, I’ve found out why. It started when Masuda revealed a week before X and Y came out why the Azure Flute was never released: He said it was too ‘confusing’ for players to use, so no distributions. That always angered me. What was so confusing about it? They could have put something on the wondercard or website saying: ‘ If you take to the place where you Dialga or Palkia, something special might occur!’ So that has always been on my nerves. The last time we ever got another event boss fight, it was Victini. GF did have boss music coded for Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect, but I guess the events were scrapped before they even were coded. So Gen 5 was the last time we had an original event battle. ( I don’t count ORAS because they were just remakes with an events coded in. )

Fast forward, as we were discussing GF’s problem with Let’s Go. I finally understood what he meant with that statement. He obviously thought that kids would be to dumb to figure out how to use it even when he could have put something on the website on how to do it. These kind of decisions what really annoys me.

Ever since then, every single event only Pokemon has been distrubuted via download only. Some people may argue that giveaways are easier because you are given the Pokemon, and it would be if synchronize worked on them. But no. Why doesn't GF make synchronize work on event Pokemon? It would justify
these lack of nintendo events.

Speaking of which, It's also dissapointing to see the QR reciever used so sparsley. Like Streetpass, the events are indefinite, so any player can get them at any time without worrying. So why were barley any events hosted? Only Magearna and Cap Pikachu were distrubuted like that. That feels werid, because the way GF wants to keep the game as simple as possible for new players, specifically kids. In fact, if I was Masuda, I would have stated: " No more going to Pokemon Center and Gamestop for events. Some parents won't want to take their kids there. " Of all the things could they get rid of, why not this?

Last edited:
Speaking of which, It's also dissapointing to see the QR reciever used so sparsley. Like Streetpass, the events are indefinite, so any player can get them at any time without worrying. So why were barley any events hosted? Only Magearna and Cap Pikachu were distrubuted like that. That feels werid, because the way GF wants to keep the game as simple as possible for new players, specifically kids. In fact, if I was Masuda, I would have stated: " No more going to Pokemon Center and Gamestop for events. Some parents won't want to take their kids there. " Of all the things could they get rid of, why not this?
You're being naive now :)

Going to PokemonCenter / GameStop / similar things can get people into buying things while they're there for the code. Staying at home and reading a QR won't.

Ultimately, you still gotta sell stuff, and the main reason they partner with things like GameStop is the mutual benefit.

(p.s. don't misunderstand me, I don't think it's wrong to do so. I just feel like reminding that ultimately they don't do games and events just for us to have fun, they do it to earn money through our fun)

I’m also irked by the fact snow warning brings hail. Hello? SNOW warning. Not HAIL warning. I mean, drizzle doesn’t bring sleet does it? So just rename it. Even the move that brings it is called hail.

Ludicolo, the carefree Pokemon, which spends it's time dancing even in battles and wears a giant sombrero, cannot learn Celebrate.
To be honest, no pokemon can "learn" Celebrate (or Hold Hands or Happy Hour) as they are event only moves :P
I was significantly amazed they actually gave those moves a unique Z-move actually. That was a interesting thinking.

You're being naive now :)

Going to PokemonCenter / GameStop / similar things can get people into buying things while they're there for the code. Staying at home and reading a QR won't.

Ultimately, you still gotta sell stuff, and the main reason they partner with things like GameStop is the mutual benefit.

(p.s. don't misunderstand me, I don't think it's wrong to do so. I just feel like reminding that ultimately they don't do games and events just for us to have fun, they do it to earn money through our fun)
If the whole point was to buy something, then why make then free? Why not make events have a price like DLC every other game does?

If the whole point was to buy something, then why make then free? Why not make events have a price like DLC every other game does?
No, you didn't understand well.

By forcing someone to actually visit the shop, there's chance that the person (or his son) sees something in the shop and buys it.

Didn't it ever happen to you to, say, visit Gamestop for getting a code, noticing that there's a certain game you wanted on sale, or a nice cute doll for your daughter (or for myself cause i'm a hopeless pink stuff collector), and buy it?
Definitely happened to me, quite sure I'm not the only one out there.

It's basic merchandising ;)

Because then it'd be nowhere near enticing. It's a pretty common marketing tactic to offer something for free just so you can be exposed to price tags and tempted into buying something. If the codes cost money I can guarantee you that a bare fraction of people who come in for the codes wouldn't anymore.

No, you didn't understand well.

By forcing someone to actually visit the shop, there's chance that the person (or his son) sees something in the shop and buys it.

Didn't it ever happen to you to, say, visit Gamestop for getting a code, noticing that there's a certain game you wanted on sale, or a nice cute doll for your daughter (or for myself cause i'm a hopeless pink stuff collector), and buy it?
Definitely happened to me, quite sure I'm not the only one out there.

It's basic merchandising ;)
Only once and that ironically it was only because I didn’t get a code because they ran out, so I got a Glaceon stuffed boy because I was too embarrassed to leave without something.

In the case of QR code, couldn’t they have pop up ads whenever you went to that page for the code? Or put ads and links in page below for shopping when there done with the code.

One of the biggest annoyances with nicknames to be honest for me comes with foreign names: I softtilt when I am looking for a non breedable mon and it comes with a foreign (expecially chinese or japanese) name which I can't even change.

At least I'd appreciate if non nicknamed mons went to the localized name of the game of the player instead of keeping geroglyphics.
The weird thing is that they actually do this, but only if you evolve it (which obviously doesn't help if it can't evolve further/at all).

Another thing that annoys me? Facing wobbuffet in nuzlockes. Missing 90% accurate moves. Not getting a crit when my mon has anger point.

When fucking sleep talk calls up rest. Seriously, make sleeptalk unable to call up rest.

Being forced to switch out with emergency exit when you have golisopod sweep going.

Getting shitty sets on great mon’s in random battle. Getting no good mon’s in bss factory.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Watch what happens when you throw a rock at a sheet of ice. Or smack it with a metal object. Or introduce it to your fist. Congratulations! You now know why Ice is weak to Rock, Steel, and Fighting.
but what if it's not a sheet of ice??? what if it's like a large ice cube or something? try punching that and see what happens. free avalugg

anyway i figured out why i don't like usum so much.

it's like sm to the point that they feel more like alternate versions than remakes (save for the part at the end).

until the change in the plot, the only changes in the game are extremely minor, like changed encounter tables and those trainers that give you tms. it feels like the exact same region and i don't care if it's supposed to be an "alternate universe" or whatever, i don't want to play through the same region again.

on the other hand, bw2 felt like an actual remake. the first quarter of the game or so is completely new, there's a new rival, you get to explore places like reversal mountain and the pwt, there have been changes in the gym leaders/champion, and of course team neo plasma is now a thing.

but it keeps the old stuff too. the friends from bw, n, and alder are still there, although they play different roles. you explore familiar parts of the region in addition to unfamiliar ones. you see the mons bw introduced as well as older ones.

my favorite thing in bw2 is the postgame, because you can go check out the updated parts of the bw places you missed. n's castle. pinwheel forest (that whole area, actually). icirrus city. black city/white forest. of course, there are cool new pokemon and plot points to be found there. there's also treehollow/tower and updated pwt which are fun for many hours.

usum just...doesn't have that. there's just a lame minigame to find legendaries. rainbow rocket was admittedly pretty cool, but it took like an hour and a half to completely finish, and you were completely done after that. because you go on the same route as sm, the unexplored areas are the same ones, and of course, they're largely unchanged. there's nothing to do except collect stickers and play battle tree and surf and stuff.

because of this, playing bw then bw2 is actually really cool, but for gen 7 i'd just recommend starting with usum. there's no real new experience between the two games.

but what if it's not a sheet of ice??? what if it's like a large ice cube or something? try punching that and see what happens. free avalugg

anyway i figured out why i don't like usum so much.

it's like sm to the point that they feel more like alternate versions than remakes (save for the part at the end).

until the change in the plot, the only changes in the game are extremely minor, like changed encounter tables and those trainers that give you tms. it feels like the exact same region and i don't care if it's supposed to be an "alternate universe" or whatever, i don't want to play through the same region again.

on the other hand, bw2 felt like an actual remake. the first quarter of the game or so is completely new, there's a new rival, you get to explore places like reversal mountain and the pwt, there have been changes in the gym leaders/champion, and of course team neo plasma is now a thing.

but it keeps the old stuff too. the friends from bw, n, and alder are still there, although they play different roles. you explore familiar parts of the region in addition to unfamiliar ones. you see the mons bw introduced as well as older ones.

my favorite thing in bw2 is the postgame, because you can go check out the updated parts of the bw places you missed. n's castle. pinwheel forest (that whole area, actually). icirrus city. black city/white forest. of course, there are cool new pokemon and plot points to be found there. there's also treehollow/tower and updated pwt which are fun for many hours.

usum just...doesn't have that. there's just a lame minigame to find legendaries. rainbow rocket was admittedly pretty cool, but it took like an hour and a half to completely finish, and you were completely done after that. because you go on the same route as sm, the unexplored areas are the same ones, and of course, they're largely unchanged. there's nothing to do except collect stickers and play battle tree and surf and stuff.

because of this, playing bw then bw2 is actually really cool, but for gen 7 i'd just recommend starting with usum. there's no real new experience between the two games.
USUM honestly felt like a DLC and a content patch that came with an extra copy of SM so they could justify full price. The worst part is, IMO, that the story is basically the same until it's suddenly about Mega Ultra Chicken, so Lusamine's and Guzma's character arcs simply stop with no real resolution.

USUM honestly felt like a DLC and a content patch that came with an extra copy of SM so they could justify full price. The worst part is, IMO, that the story is basically the same until it's suddenly about Mega Ultra Chicken, so Lusamine's and Guzma's character arcs simply stop with no real resolution.
There's a good point to be made that the really scummy things the wider games industry is doing that Nintendo has largely avoided; Pokémon has been doing in far worse ways for years without being explicit about it.
Metal Gear Survive makes you pay $5 for an extra save slot? Super duper disgusting, but Pokémon's pretty much made you pay 40 for an extra save slot for years.
Multiple AAA games charging you, I dunno, $10 for some DLC that amounts to skins, a couple new weapons and a very disappointing amount of additions overall? Pretty goddamn awful. But Pokémon's made you pay 40.
... no concluding point here, I agree with what's being said and thought that would be interesting to consider. Carry on

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Which is why Avalugg has a TON of Defense.

USUM: What's Not To Like:
I agree and have said so myself that USUM is a massive disappointment and follow-up to Sun & Moon (and B2W2 when it comes to third versions). Infact, I prefer Sun & Moon's story more compared to USUM due to them following the same story... until the very end where they wedge the Ultra Recon Squad into the story. This has resulted in some of the following missteps in the story:

1. Taking away the pay off of Gladion and Type: Null's story. In SM when Lusamine opens the Ultra Wormhole a Nihilego comes on through. Player battles Lusamine, Hau battles Guzma, and Gladion battles Nihilego with Type: Null as it was made to be a "beast killer". But in USUM what happens is that Gladion practically begs Lusamine to assist her facing Necrozma but she refuses, and only the player and her battle while Gladion and Hau watch (Guzma doesn't come into the picture until Lusamine jumps through the Ultra Wormhole). Also, instead of becoming Aether President, he instead goes to Kanto (instead of Lillie) occasionally coming back to battle the player. It feels like he was sidelined cause they didn't know how to fit him in the changes they did to the story.

2. Lillie doesn't get her moment to shine. Remember how in SM that, upon getting to her mother in Ultra Space, Lillie finally stands up to her and gives Lusamine the browbeating she deserved for the way she treated her, Gladion, Nebby, and everyone else she has wronged? One of the most biggest character development moments in the Pokemon series that has made Lillie into one of the most popular characters. Welp, in USUM not only does Lillie and Lusamine's "encounter" happen off screen but it's implied that everything is cool between them after that. WHAT?! After all that Lusamine has done we're suppose to believe that Lillie just forgives her and Lusamine is somehow more sane? Oh, and this change has resulted in Lillie not going on her journey (to both grow and help heal Lusamine), which also has the result of removing the heartwarming credits of the original SM where we see pictures that Hau had sent to Lillie (along with an Island Challenge pendent of her own). And it's not like Lillie is doing anything special at the end of the game so they wasted any opportunity there for growth (if anything she takes steps back when she's taken hostage during the RR Episode and all she has to show for this is being a disappointing Battle Tree partner).

3. Speaking of Lusamine, she felt completely off as they kept her personality but changed her goals so now her actions don't quite match-up. And as mentioned above, when she loses to Necrozma she somehow becomes more sane? She did horrible things but USUM is willing to sweep that all aside to give everyone a happy ending without having to work for it. Also by changing the reason we're going into Ultra Space it sorta removes the urgency. Okay, yes, we now gotta go to save Nebby... but Lillie stays behind so there goes a personal reason of going. Sure, we want to save Nebby, but Lillie is the one with a connection with Lillie even if she doesn't do anything (which wasn't the case in SM, not only did she call out her mother but she also ordered Nebby to use its power to separate Lusamine from the Nihilego she fused with).

And that's not even addressing how, instead of using a chance of a second pair of games to expand on characters like the Captains and Team Skull, instead they waste it on the Ultra Recon Squad who are just as bare bones (don't get me started on Ultra Megalopolis) or tons of side quests which lacked depth and were at best cute/funny for the moment.

What happened? They had the concept of an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE to play with and this was the best they could come up with? Heck, just do a sequel like you did with B2W2 if you couldn't think of anything good! And they have the nerve to call these games "Ultra".

... This better not happen with Gen VIII. While I shouldn't, I'm giving them an out that they were probably being pressured by Nintendo to move over to the Switch so rushed the games.

There's a good point to be made that the really scummy things the wider games industry is doing that Nintendo has largely avoided; Pokémon has been doing in far worse ways for years without being explicit about it.
Metal Gear Survive makes you pay $5 for an extra save slot? Super duper disgusting, but Pokémon's pretty much made you pay 40 for an extra save slot for years.
Multiple AAA games charging you, I dunno, $10 for some DLC that amounts to skins, a couple new weapons and a very disappointing amount of additions overall? Pretty goddamn awful. But Pokémon's made you pay 40.
... no concluding point here, I agree with what's being said and thought that would be interesting to consider. Carry on
Yeah, the one save file thing notably is outdated since we not only have SD cards we can now save to but they could also offer additional save storage via the Poke Bank.

Which is why Avalugg has a TON of Defense.

USUM: What's Not To Like:
I agree and have said so myself that USUM is a massive disappointment and follow-up to Sun & Moon (and B2W2 when it comes to third versions). Infact, I prefer Sun & Moon's story more compared to USUM due to them following the same story... until the very end where they wedge the Ultra Recon Squad into the story. This has resulted in some of the following missteps in the story:

1. Taking away the pay off of Gladion and Type: Null's story. In SM when Lusamine opens the Ultra Wormhole a Nihilego comes on through. Player battles Lusamine, Hau battles Guzma, and Gladion battles Nihilego with Type: Null as it was made to be a "beast killer". But in USUM what happens is that Gladion practically begs Lusamine to assist her facing Necrozma but she refuses, and only the player and her battle while Gladion and Hau watch (Guzma doesn't come into the picture until Lusamine jumps through the Ultra Wormhole). Also, instead of becoming Aether President, he instead goes to Kanto (instead of Lillie) occasionally coming back to battle the player. It feels like he was sidelined cause they didn't know how to fit him in the changes they did to the story.

2. Lillie doesn't get her moment to shine. Remember how in SM that, upon getting to her mother in Ultra Space, Lillie finally stands up to her and gives Lusamine the browbeating she deserved for the way she treated her, Gladion, Nebby, and everyone else she has wronged? One of the most biggest character development moments in the Pokemon series that has made Lillie into one of the most popular characters. Welp, in USUM not only does Lillie and Lusamine's "encounter" happen off screen but it's implied that everything is cool between them after that. WHAT?! After all that Lusamine has done we're suppose to believe that Lillie just forgives her and Lusamine is somehow more sane? Oh, and this change has resulted in Lillie not going on her journey (to both grow and help heal Lusamine), which also has the result of removing the heartwarming credits of the original SM where we see pictures that Hau had sent to Lillie (along with an Island Challenge pendent of her own). And it's not like Lillie is doing anything special at the end of the game so they wasted any opportunity there for growth (if anything she takes steps back when she's taken hostage during the RR Episode and all she has to show for this is being a disappointing Battle Tree partner).

3. Speaking of Lusamine, she felt completely off as they kept her personality but changed her goals so now her actions don't quite match-up. And as mentioned above, when she loses to Necrozma she somehow becomes more sane? She did horrible things but USUM is willing to sweep that all aside to give everyone a happy ending without having to work for it. Also by changing the reason we're going into Ultra Space it sorta removes the urgency. Okay, yes, we now gotta go to save Nebby... but Lillie stays behind so there goes a personal reason of going. Sure, we want to save Nebby, but Lillie is the one with a connection with Lillie even if she doesn't do anything (which wasn't the case in SM, not only did she call out her mother but she also ordered Nebby to use its power to separate Lusamine from the Nihilego she fused with).

And that's not even addressing how, instead of using a chance of a second pair of games to expand on characters like the Captains and Team Skull, instead they waste it on the Ultra Recon Squad who are just as bare bones (don't get me started on Ultra Megalopolis) or tons of side quests which lacked depth and were at best cute/funny for the moment.

What happened? They had the concept of an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE to play with and this was the best they could come up with? Heck, just do a sequel like you did with B2W2 if you couldn't think of anything good! And they have the nerve to call these games "Ultra".

... This better not happen with Gen VIII. While I shouldn't, I'm giving them an out that they were probably being pressured by Nintendo to move over to the Switch so rushed the games.

Yeah, the one save file thing notably is outdated since we not only have SD cards we can now save to but they could also offer additional save storage via the Poke Bank.
I blame the fact the games were released only a year after Sun and Moon. If they had more time, maybe then they could have changed more to better suit the different direction they wanted to take the story in. But likely between the tweaks to Yellow's story for Let's Go and whatever they're doing for the gen 8 games there weren't too many experienced writers that could be spared for US/UM at the time.

The problem is, if they had done nothing it would have been better. Just the most utterly bare-bones “It’s Ultra-Necrozma!” dialogue change and nothing else and the story at least wouldn’t have been any worse than SM. Instead they changed a bunch of stuff, and every change was for the worse. Lillie and Lusamine especially stand out. Just, how does Nintendo manage to be /worse/ than lazy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 8)