(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

So is it just me or does this not undermine and de-incentivise doing raid battles with other people, ie the entire point

Wow that's a real kick in the teeth, to your assistants huh? Base Catch 3, wow thanks.

But actually, assuming this isn't a typo (surely it is...) there is 0 reason to ever do a non-event gigantamax with other people because you go from a 100% rate to 20. Like you have to be really deseperate or bashing your head on the wall that you need help to risk this because it's jsut a net loss for everyone

Wow that's a real kick in the teeth, to your assistants huh? Base Catch 3, wow thanks.

But actually, assuming this isn't a typo (surely it is...) there is 0 reason to ever do a non-event gigantamax with other people because you go from a 100% rate to 20. Like you have to be really deseperate or bashing your head on the wall that you need help to risk this because it's jsut a net loss for everyone
Yeah, that's the most bizarre part to me. I can maybe see a justification for lowered catchrates for other people piggybacking off of you; but for you yourself? Why?

It's a shame because I do to an extent enjoy raids, but because it's Pokémon they gotta throw in some bullshit odds for no reason.

Yeah, that's the most bizarre part to me. I can maybe see a justification for lowered catchrates for other people piggybacking off of you; but for you yourself? Why?

It's a shame because I do to an extent enjoy raids, but because it's Pokémon they gotta throw in some bullshit odds for no reason.
Also why so much. Like okay, sure. You're getting help so you take a penalty and you want the "leeches" to get punished a little. Why not lower it to like...a flat 75%/50% respectively. Instead of treating them as catch rate 20 and catch rate 3
The event raids in particular are just atrocious. These raids are supposed to be cool event stuff where you come together to catch them, not come together to maybe possible catch them better keep grinding losers!

Actually if anything it should be reversed. Kind of bad (i'd still raise them to at least 50%) rates if you're solo, but if you come with others they raise because you managed to get some friends to tackle this cool tough raid

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also why so much. Like okay, sure. You're getting help so you take a penalty and you want the "leeches" to get punished a little. Why not lower it to like...a flat 75%/50% respectively. Instead of treating them as catch rate 20 and catch rate 3
The event raids in particular are just atrocious. These raids are supposed to be cool event stuff where you come together to catch them, not come together to maybe possible catch them better keep grinding losers!

Actually if anything it should be reversed. Kind of bad (i'd still raise them to at least 50%) rates if you're solo, but if you come with others they raise because you managed to get some friends to tackle this cool tough raid
Actually what would make more sense is, if you're doing multi-player, is if you're doing local everyone (including the host) should be 50% and if you're doing online should be 75%.

Why? Well it shouldn't be 100% as now you have at least two competent humans working together to take down the raid. If you're doing local you're likely with friends so are all hunting Raids together thus not too big of a deal if its halved. But as for online getting at least one other player to join you can be tricky so I think to make it worth the effort should be higher than local (though you still have another human helping you).

Though having the Event Raids have lower Catch Rates feels really BS, especially with the Gigantamax Events. Sure, once I found one of these Raids I can save in front of it to have as many tries as I want, but as Kurona said that kind of feels it goes against the feeling of doing Raids with other players.

So is it just me or does this not undermine and de-incentivise doing raid battles with other people, ie the entire point

I guess they want to encourage doing raids with friends... on Local Communication mode (assuming Local Communication mode uses the same rates as "Offline", which for GF logic it would make sense)

What does Standard Event mean?
Currently there are "event" versions of Sandaconda/Centiskorch, Butterfree, & Drednaw/Corviknight (& their unevovled forms) running alongside the Gigantamax events. Those are what it means

I guess they want to encourage doing raids with friends... on Local Communication mode (assuming Local Communication mode uses the same rates as "Offline", which for GF logic it would make sense)
it is *any* multiplayer
serebii notes it
Each Pokémon has got a specific Catch Rate. If you play Solo without going online, for any standard Max Raid Battle or Gigantamax Raid Battle away from the Special Events will have guaranteed capture. However, if you go online or play with other players locally this changes.

The fact that you can't mass transfer pokemon. Releasing all the tons of boxes while breeding is such a tedious task..
Maybe add where you can't select shinies, "special pokemon" and other along the same lines.

The fact that you can't mass transfer pokemon. Releasing all the tons of boxes while breeding is such a tedious task..
Maybe add where you can't select shinies, "special pokemon" and other along the same lines.
There's literally a marking system, so just repurposing that would make sense, too.

Didn't Let's Go have a mass release system in place because of how its mechanics work? Could have brought that forward

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Got two quick ones:

Hunting In Hostile Territory: Another Wild Area complaint. So you remember those Pokemon you can only find in the Wild Area and we complained how we have to wait for a certain weather condition and they're low encounter rates? Well if it is the proper weather and you have the time you'd think it would be from then be easy to hunt for that Pokemon, right? WRONG. I got two examples of how the Wild Area even makes finding these Pokemon even in the right conditions a chore:

I was looking for a Togepi in Bridge Field when it was overcast. While overcast on Bridge Field we have the following hazardous Pokemon: Zigzagoon who randomly run around, Cutiefly who likes getting close-up to you, Croagunk and Throh/Sawk who chase after you, and Elgyem who teleport randomly.

It was looking for a Goomy in Lake of Outrage when it was raining. While raining on Lake of Rage we have the following hazardous Pokemon: Seismitoad and Araquanid who chase after you, them + Golurk and Golisopod who are so big and wide it's easy to accidentally run into them, Ditto who you can't see that well hidden in the grass, and Rotom who dart around randomly.

What should have just been a simple task of me running around in the grass in circles turned into a game of me having to run into the grass, hope the shaking grass I cause is near me, and if it's not/the wrong Pokemon I got to run out of the grass away far enough to despawn the Pokemon to then go back and try again.

Removed Space: Talking about another little thing GF decided to remove which I (and probably a few others) are beginning to miss: The Free Space in the Bag. With so many miscellaneous items being placed in one pocket would have been nice to have the Free Space to place the held items I usually like my Pokemon holding in.

So, in Sword and Shield the evolution cutscene is much shorter. That is great. Really great. It reduces padding.

Now, on the other hand... they didn't do the same with the egg hatching cutscene, which is as unskippable as always. Is this a deliberate ploy to make us not hatch eggs, Masuda? I really want my Fake Out Intimidate Scraggy without an unnecessarily long cutscene =(

So in this generation, excluding the legendaries, we got 3 new mono-fighting Pokemon (which in this case I’m referring to just fully evolved ‘mons) - Falinks, Grapploct, and Sirfetch’d. These are also the only Fighting types we got, and they all have the same, boring type???

Sirfetch’d could have easily been Flying/Fighting given, you know, Farfetch’d? Galarian Farfetch’d is pure Fighting as well, but it still feels absurd, and it would have been a great benefit for it both defensively and offensively (STAB Brave Bird). Maybe they just didn’t want it competing with Hawlucha for... some reason?

Grapploct... is a blue octopus. Basics of color coding and of animal design clearly indicate to this thing being a Water/Fighting type. So why is it not Water/Fighting? I don’t know! It’s not quite as elusive as Fighting/Flying, but still only 2 ‘mons have the typing, Poliwrath and Keldeo. Octolock does give it something of a niche, but it’d be a far more interesting ‘mon working with that typing.

Falinks is the most excusable out of these three, seeing as the gimmick is that it looks like a bug but it really isn’t. Would have Fighting/Bug or Fighting/Steel been more interesting? Sure, but Fighting isn’t bad on its own. It is, however, a major issue when you have 2 other mono-fighting contemporaries in a single generation. We need some diversity, damnit!

To put this into perspective - 3 mono-fighting fully evolved pokemon (excluding, of course, Zamazenta). By contrast, we got the same amount of Poison pokemon total - and that’s including Eternatus! (We only got Toxel, Toxtricity, and Eternatus) I just don’t get why they dropped the ball so hard here.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So in this generation, excluding the legendaries, we got 3 new mono-fighting Pokemon (which in this case I’m referring to just fully evolved ‘mons) - Falinks, Grapploct, and Sirfetch’d. These are also the only Fighting types we got, and they all have the same, boring type???

Sirfetch’d could have easily been Flying/Fighting given, you know, Farfetch’d? Galarian Farfetch’d is pure Fighting as well, but it still feels absurd, and it would have been a great benefit for it both defensively and offensively (STAB Brave Bird). Maybe they just didn’t want it competing with Hawlucha for... some reason?

Grapploct... is a blue octopus. Basics of color coding and of animal design clearly indicate to this thing being a Water/Fighting type. So why is it not Water/Fighting? I don’t know! It’s not quite as elusive as Fighting/Flying, but still only 2 ‘mons have the typing, Poliwrath and Keldeo. Octolock does give it something of a niche, but it’d be a far more interesting ‘mon working with that typing.

Falinks is the most excusable out of these three, seeing as the gimmick is that it looks like a bug but it really isn’t. Would have Fighting/Bug or Fighting/Steel been more interesting? Sure, but Fighting isn’t bad on its own. It is, however, a major issue when you have 2 other mono-fighting contemporaries in a single generation. We need some diversity, damnit!

To put this into perspective - 3 mono-fighting fully evolved pokemon (excluding, of course, Zamazenta). By contrast, we got the same amount of Poison pokemon total - and that’s including Eternatus! (We only got Toxel, Toxtricity, and Eternatus) I just don’t get why they dropped the ball so hard here.
To be fair, I think the implication with Galarian Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd is that their gear is now so big and heavy they are now flightless birds. They still have some Flying qualities like coverage, but they can't fly on their own because of their big-ass Leeks anymore. Now there's some stuff inconsistent with this like Vullaby still being part Flying despite being explicitly stated to be unable to fly, but it's still the most feasable explanation.

Grapploct not being Water/Fighting though? Yeah, I have no idea what happened there. Either there's some deep octopus lore I'm not getting or it was some bizarre oversight.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I also think Fighting/Poison could have worked as Grapploct is based on the Blue-Ringed Ocotpus.

Falinks should be Fighting/Steel, they're wearing helmets and carrying around shields!

As Yung Dramps said, if anyone of them has an excuse for being pure Fighting-type it's Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd.

Grapploct is even shown actively swimming in the water on route 9, doing laps around the ice. It has just about every water move available in TMs/TRs. It's really inexplicable. Stunfisk & Dhelmise at least have the excuse of double (Triple, kind of, on Dhelmise) typing that are working in a different gimmick.

Likewise Cursola being pure Ghost is a weird choice. Ghost/Rock would have worked just as well, surely? It'd even be a new type combination since Runerigrus decided to be based on clay tablets instead of a cave painting or stone carving.

Remember my posts where I complained why the Pokedex has lost its lust because gameplay wise, there's like 0 benefits for completing the Pokedex, other than the shiny charm, which is a purely cosmetic feature? Well, I'm playing DragonQuest 11 on the Switch and it addresses my complaints!

Image result for dragon quest 11 war gryphon

Immediately you can notice that you can see items that they drop. This is incredible because these items are critical for making weapons and equipment. By defeating a lot of enemies, you can get huge amount of information on where to obtain items so you don't waste time looking up online. This also applies to gold and experience- so when you need money or have to grind a bit, you can just go compare monsters easily and go hunting; which is what encourages the player to fight monsters- so you can get more powerful weapons and equipment. And let's talk about Animations. While in SwSh, the Pokemon only have 3 Animations, one idle, while the other two attacking; Dragonquest Monsters have so much more. For the War Gryphon alone, there was about 10 animations. Some include: Walking, Running, Casting Spells and two dying animations to name a few. They are significantly more expressive than the Pokemon.

DragonQuest 11 set a standard for the a monster collection guide despite not actually not being a monster collecting game. There's no reason why the Pokedex can't include information like this, it would actually give an incentive to encourage players to catch them all. Right now the only incentive is a shiny charm, and shiny hunting is still a pain even with it.

Remember my posts where I complained why the Pokedex has lost its lust because gameplay wise, there's like 0 benefits for completing the Pokedex, other than the shiny charm, which is a purely cosmetic feature? Well, I'm playing DragonQuest 11 on the Switch and it addresses my complaints!

Image result for dragon quest 11 war gryphon

Immediately you can notice that you can see items that they drop. This is incredible because these items are critical for making weapons and equipment. By defeating a lot of enemies, you can get huge amount of information on where to obtain items so you don't waste time looking up online. This also applies to gold and experience- so when you need money or have to grind a bit, you can just go compare monsters easily and go hunting; which is what encourages the player to fight monsters- so you can get more powerful weapons and equipment. And let's talk about Animations. While in SwSh, the Pokemon only have 3 Animations, one idle, while the other two attacking; Dragonquest Monsters have so much more. For the War Gryphon alone, there was about 10 animations. Some include: Walking, Running, Casting Spells and two dying animations to name a few. They are significantly more expressive than the Pokemon.

DragonQuest 11 set a standard for the a monster collection guide despite not actually not being a monster collecting game. There's no reason why the Pokedex can't include information like this, it would actually give an incentive to encourage players to catch them all. Right now the only incentive is a shiny charm, and shiny hunting is still a pain even with it.
Dragon Quest's Book of Beasts has done this since 2001. I don't know why the information provided by the Pokedex is still junk to this day.

Annoyance isn't the proper word to describe my thoughts in this post. Confusion is more fitting.

One of the most striking things about Pokemon games are their plots, emphasis on plural. Each Pokemon game follows roughly the same story structure:
  • Leave home on a quest to be the very best like no one ever was.
  • Assert yourself in the affairs of some nefarious villain.
  • Defeat said nefarious villain.
  • Resume your quest for glory as if nothing happened.
Not only are the two plots of drastically different tone, but they rarely ever intersect. Aside from notable trainers playing supporting roles in the villain conflict, I've only been able to find five or six instances of the two plots interacting. The three most notable instances are Giovanni being both the villain and the eighth gym leader, Team Plasma crashing the Elite 4, and Chairman Rose messing with the champion cup. Two more minor instances are Malva being both a part of Team Flare and an Elite 4 member, and some Team Skull grunts messing with Ilima's trial. Finally, there's Bede interrupting the champion cup. I'm not sure if that last one really counts, as by that point Bede has long been disassociated with Rose.

I guess I'm struggling to find a reason for Game Freak to split every Pokemon game into two largely disconnected storylines, with the arguably more exciting storyline of twarting evil treated as secondary, merely a distraction from your true goal of being the champion. It also seems to me that Game Freak would be able to craft more engaging stories if they stopped dividing their attention and either focused on only one storyline, or fully merged the storylines instead of just crossing them once.

Scenario 1: Story is just about becoming the champion
The general game structure would be pretty much the same as previous titles. Leave home, collect badges, become champion. However, without a villainous force in need of thwarting, the story can be more grounded, as well as devote more time to developing the cast of rivals.

Scenario 2: Story is just about thwarting a villain
A Pokemon game like this would likely have a very different structure as previous titles. This scenario poses some challenges, because it might be difficult to have a call to action while retaining enough of a blank slate for players to project onto, though it also has the potential reward of lots of unique premises. The nice one that I thought of while writing this would be for the story to start normal, only for the villains to steal the player's starter Pokemon, setting the player off on a rescue quest that ends with a final battle with your own starter under villain control. Basically what happened with Hugh.

Scenario 3: Story has becoming the champion and thwarting the villain be intrinsically linked
This has the potential for a really cool story, though it's probably the kind of story that should only be told once, lest it become repetitive. The basic premise that this would suggest is that the Pokemon League itself is corrupt. The villain is so powerful and influential that they have the gym leaders, the Elite 4, and the champion working for them, or they at least have them in their pocket. Essentially, the story would be about taking down the Illuminati and restoring the legitimacy of the Pokemon League.

With those scenarios out of my system, does anyone know why Game Freak decided early on to use a split plot? Like, maybe someone said something in an interview or something?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Scenario 3: Story has becoming the champion and thwarting the villain be intrinsically linked
This has the potential for a really cool story, though it's probably the kind of story that should only be told once, lest it become repetitive. The basic premise that this would suggest is that the Pokemon League itself is corrupt. The villain is so powerful and influential that they have the gym leaders, the Elite 4, and the champion working for them, or they at least have them in their pocket. Essentially, the story would be about taking down the Illuminati and restoring the legitimacy of the Pokemon League.
Sounds like BW1. While initially the goal is just to do the gym challenge because you must, by the end the goal is pretty clearly to take down N who, at the end of the game, has become the champion just like he said he would. The scenario you laid out is somewhat different, but this isn't a completely new idea.

Sounds like BW1. While initially the goal is just to do the gym challenge because you must, by the end the goal is pretty clearly to take down N who, at the end of the game, has become the champion just like he said he would. The scenario you laid out is somewhat different, but this isn't a completely new idea.
I was going to mention BW1 being the one time the villain plot actually took the center stage, but I forgot. I also hadn't noticed it until now (because I hadn't scrolled all the way down to N's actual dialogue on Bulbapedia) but yeah, it does sound like BW1 keeps the villain plot and champion plot constantly intertwined.

This was the obvious thing for them to do with Leon, and I was extremely confused they didn’t do that. Dude is making huge money off battles, he brags often about being undefeated, his ace is specifically a crowd-pleaser, I was sure he would end up being corrupt as hell. It doesn’t even feel like he’s a red herring, he feels like GF wanted him to be cool and didn’t realize how trying that hard would look.

This was the obvious thing for them to do with Leon, and I was extremely confused they didn’t do that. Dude is making huge money off battles, he brags often about being undefeated, his ace is specifically a crowd-pleaser, I was sure he would end up being corrupt as hell. It doesn’t even feel like he’s a red herring, he feels like GF wanted him to be cool and didn’t realize how trying that hard would look.
You know, one thing that I find really odd is how chill Leon is after he lost his title. I mean, come on, the guy is apparently undefeated in his whole career. You’d think he’d at least cry that his whole identity was shattered, but no. Could have been interesting post game story, maybe Leon wants revenge on the person who his whole career, so in order to do that, he plans to use Zacian/Zamazenta to defeat the player and reclaim his title.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)