(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'm really annoyed that the lake guardians are not Psychic/Fairy. They are more fairy than the Tapus.
While the lake guardians are pixies, I don’t think that automatically makes them fae creatures. In Pokémon, the Fairy-Type generally represents at least one of nature, playfulness or specific fae mythology (for Granbull for instance). On the other hand, the Psychic-Type represents intelligence and strength of mind. The lake guardians therefore are more Psychic-Type because their whole purpose is to symbolise wisdom (intelligence), willpower (strength of mind) and emotion. Judging by the likes of Togetic, emotion is associated with the Fairy-Type, and Mesprit is also pretty playful, meaning I think Mesprit could be part fairy. But in the name of uniformity within the trio, they probably opted to leave Mesprit as it is since it wouldn’t make sense to change both Azelf and Uxie to match Mesprit’s upgrade, which is imo entirely valid.

It’s the same rationale as why Delphox isn’t Fairy-Type, for instance. It literally has a magic wand which is extremely fae, but its mage properties override it and makes it Psychic-Type instead.

There's always a couple fairy exceptions, though.
Zacian is fairy which one could possibly justify as just mysterious fae origins, like how its spirit hangs out in the slumbering weald....except the pixies are in similar positions and most notably Zamazenta is in the exact same position, but fighting type.
Slurpuff is fairy because its like...cutsey, i guess. Food-adjacent? Already kind of vague theming here. Wigglytuff's in the same bin, though it at least has the moon connection.
Mr. Mime! For some reason?
Alola Ninetales is no more or less fae than its vanilla counterpart

And you know to be honest, I feel like Uxie & Azelf are just as fae. They're part of the world, ingrained into it by representing the mental spectrum of life, they're hidden away and only show themselves as projections, & all three even has a classic "dont cross its path or be cursed!" by wiping your memory of the encounter (Uxie), removing your emotions (Mesprit) or losing the willpower to go on (Azelf). The fact they're all named after various fae-adjacent stuff: pixies, sprites, elves, gnomes

There's also the fact they are legendaries.

I'm confident that even if the possibility that they could be fairyes passed by GF's mind in gen 6, they simply decided to not alter their type due to being legendary pokemon.

If you think of it, the "type change" of some pokemon to Fairy types was made mainly in order to have some fairy types available without all of them being new pokemon, similarly to how Magnemite became Steel Type in gen 2.
Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Togepi, Snubbul, Garde are all pretty popular pokemon lines (ok, maybe not Snubbull...) and it would be easy to fit them into the game and have them recognizable as they are already loved.
Different is to go alter some pokemon that wouldn't even be available.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There's always a couple fairy exceptions, though.
Zacian is fairy which one could possibly justify as just mysterious fae origins, like how its spirit hangs out in the slumbering weald....except the pixies are in similar positions and most notably Zamazenta is in the exact same position, but fighting type.

Mr. Mime! For some reason?

Alola Ninetales is no more or less fae than its vanilla counterpart
Part of Zacian's inspiration is likely the power enchantress & King Arthur's half-sister Morgan le Fay (which literally translates to "Morgan the Fairy"). It's also based on the magical sword Excalibur.

Mr. Mime was probably picked because its a humanoid creature that likes playing tricks on humans (setting up invisible barriers for people to walk into), a very fey thing to do.

Alola Nintetales possibly takes some inspiration from the Hawaiian Goddess of snow, Poliʻahu. As we've seen with the Island Guardians, at least in Alola, Pokemon with deity connections are given the Fairy-type to denote the divine inspiration.

An annoying thing I encountered today: so not only are overworld sandstorms annoying in general, but the "night mode yellow" tint it casts over everything extends to the in-game trading screen. Somewhat of a bother when you are trying to soft reset for a shiny alolan mon with slight colour differences...
Not to mention how sandstorms and snowstorms block out the light beams for active Raid Dens.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Here's one for the TCG, something that's bugged me for years

EX/GX/V/whatever pokemon.

not in terms of gameplay (okay well not JUST in terms of gameplay), but very specifically their art. The big fun appeal of the TCG for me, well after I've stopped playing it, is the card art. There's so many different kinds of artists and interpretations of different Pokemon every single set and it's wonderful

So for what are generally the most sought after cards, the most conventional rarest, they of course throw all of that out the window for 3D Garbage!

It's just, like. 3D models haev always been A Thing on cards but it drives me batty how the big centerpiece cards are jsut so dully

Here's Jirachi. A lovely cute card.

Here's Jirachi EX & the full art variant that would go on to be the standard for this card type starting with GXes

The 3D cards are carried entirely by their visual effects shoved all over and I think it's just ugly. It's boring. And even the mroe dynamix posing feels like a step back.

The GXes, to their credit tried. They really did. There's actual backgrounds and they try for more dynamic posing. But it's still just yet another 3D model with a bunch of effects plastered around and a kind of gaudy holofoil treatment.

And this wouldn't bug me nearly as much if they weren't so uniform with it. This card type is ALWAYS 3D, but will never hold a candle to the standard artwork. Somehow it's MORE maddening when they decide to break the type and just knock it out of the park. And if it's a pokemon that gets a lot of these kind of cards, there's no variance at all. 3D Mewtwo from BW is going to look like 3D Mewtwo in the SM sets
Compare Mewtwo GX with its secret rare variant released several sets later

Or the Tag Teams, all of which have 2D Illustrations

& comically their rare variants are just right back to the standard 3D and it is such a downgrade

-------------
B-B-B-BONUS ROUND the god awful decision for Pokemon Break to jsut be 3D models but gold

And while all the Trainers get fantastic full art 2D illustrations as secret rares, the normal item cards (already needlessly boring) get uhhhh

gold coloring or gold backgrounds
(credits to R-N for the idea)
The fact that the tag team full arts are so much worse than the alt arts
7646890D-D458-4F7E-B61A-9507BE3D566D.jpeg
look at these.
they show an event happening. Sometimes it’s relaxing, sometimes it’s giratina opening a portal to our realm. They have emotions in them.
Compare that, to the full art muk and alolan muk tagteam
image.jpg
cool pokemon company, what’s the inspiration for 2 muks going “oOooOgly bOoOgly”?
“simply striking a spooky pose.” (from https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-...okemon-tcg-expansion-sun-moon-unbroken-bonds/)

Last edited:
Professor oak's pokedex evaluations at the very end of the early gen games.

Look, its a cool idea to show how competent of a collector the player has become but after tanking and dishing out blizzards, outrages and earthquakes, i'm very tired of the last line of my casual runs being

""Good. I see you understand how to use Poké Balls."

""You're on the right track! Get a Flash HM from my Aide!"

One really minor thing about Platinum: Both lines that evolve via the Dusk Stone, Murkrow and Misdreavus, are unavailable in Platinum, meaning the Dusk Stoke is useless without trading.

That also brings me up a very minor criticism I have with Platinum: I really disliked how they made the version exclusives part of the Sinnoh Dex unavailabile in Platinum. I remember wanting to use Murkrow when I first got Platinum because I had Pearl originally, only to learn that Murkrow is unavailable in Platinum, much to my disappointment.

I have a similar issue with the fossils. I wanted to find a Skull Fossil because I had Shieldon in Pearl, so I searched the underground for a long time, only to find Armor Fossils. I learned later on that you only get one of the fossils, and that’s determined based on your Trainer ID. I was too far in the game to reset my save file, so I just kept the Armor Fossils. I wish it was said somewhere in game, or there was an option to chose which Fossil they wanted.

EDIT: And if you are wondering why I did not use the GTS, it is because my father was extremely Anti-Internet back then, so no GTS. Like when I was 6 year old, I was watching the Arceus event on YouTube, only for my Father to come in and yell at me for watching YouTube, despite my protests that I was watching Pokémon. But that’s a story for another time.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Why couldn't you get Tangela without transferring in Diamond and Pearl? Like, they go and introduce Tangrowth as this awesome new evolution that's it's needed for years, only for it to...not be obtainable.

I'm not joking. You literally just couldn't get Tangela without transferring from FRLG, or using the Shadow Tangela from GoD.
Screenshot_20200905-050504_Chrome.jpg

It wasn't obtainable without transferring until Platinum, where they put it in the Great Marsh. Then it finally became widespread in HGSS. Wackiest design choice I've ever seen.

Why couldn't you get Tangela without transferring in Diamond and Pearl? Like, they go and introduce Tangrowth as this awesome new evolution that's it's needed for years, only for it to...not be obtainable.

I'm not joking. You literally just couldn't get Tangela without transferring from FRLG, or using the Shadow Tangela from GoD.
View attachment 273456

It wasn't obtainable without transferring until Platinum, where they put it in the Great Marsh. Then it finally became widespread in HGSS. Wackiest design choice I've ever seen.
The list of Pokemon you could ONLY get by transfer were:
-gen 1-3 starter pokemon
-gen 1-3 legendary pokmon
-Manaphy (& Phion) on sheer technicality but those are event pokemon so like ....
-Tangela (& tangrowth by association)
-Tropius

Tangela obviously takes the cake just because it has an evolution but Tropius is baffling too. It's like...did they just...forget about these 2 (3)? iirc shortly after DP came out they hurridly had an event with Tangela & Tropius being given out in cherish balls (& no they weren't really thematic with anything iirc) like they went OOPS.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
The list of Pokemon you could ONLY get by transfer were:
-gen 1-3 starter pokemon
-gen 1-3 legendary pokmon
-Manaphy (& Phion) on sheer technicality but those are event pokemon so like ....
-Tangela (& tangrowth by association)
-Tropius

Tangela obviously takes the cake just because it has an evolution but Tropius is baffling too. It's like...did they just...forget about these 2 (3)? iirc shortly after DP came out they hurridly had an event with Tangela & Tropius being given out in cherish balls (& no they weren't really thematic with anything iirc) like they went OOPS.
I believe the Tropius event you're on about is Shokotan's Tropius, who's a Pokemon Sunday presenter. It was with Yamamoto's Whiscash. I actually have both the events!

Iirc the Tangela event didn't have any association tho?

I believe the Tropius event you're on about is Shokotan's Tropius, who's a Pokemon Sunday presenter. It was with Yamamoto's Whiscash. I actually have both the events!

Iirc the Tangela event didn't have any association tho?
I'm actually trying to look up this Tangela event now and...I guess I was completely misremembering it? It doesn't seem to exist at all, the only one I can find reference to is a NYC give away
Tangrowth seemed to have been given away in South Korea for a cafe tie in, maybe I was thinking of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 8)