(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Can't talk about Xerneas or Yveltal but, with the exception of Eternatus, the required legendary catches have been very unconvincing to me.

- In BW1, you need to catch Zekrom or Reshiram because N would not accept your challenge otherwise... I mean, he has his reasons, but that's pointless.
- In SM, if you needed to catch Solgaleo or Lunala BEFORE going to Ultra Space, I would understand it (though only a bit - there's no real reason to hurry to stop a woman that is happy enough with her Nihilego fetish). But nope, it happens after Ultra Space, because Lillie wants you to do so.
- As I said, Eternatus is the only convincing one as you need to have its power sealed somehow, and a Poké Ball was the best option at hand. Bingo there.
- Then we go to Sword and Shield's cover legendaries. Why exactly do you have to catch them? I mean, they were overloaded by Wishing Stones, but can't you just KO them and call it a day?
- Kubfu is a lie. I expected an actual armor.
- Calyrex has the same problem as the cover legendaries. Yes, I know, it has bonded with you, but the catch is still required to progress in the story. No "sometime later" or anything like that.
GOAT Mainline Pokémon Platinum running circles on these newfangled 3D games again.

Giratina is first encountered in the Distortion World and if you don't catch it, no problem, just go to the Sendoff Spring on the post-game and catch it.

Never lost. :psywoke:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
throwing a masterball at giratina is usually a waste anyways considering roamers are there (whoever decided to create roamers going to catch these mf hands)
Roamers are often my favourite legends tbh.

Sure it’s a hassle to catch them but uh, it kinda SHOULD be a hassle to catch all-powerful beings. It adds much more character to them and makes them seem special, since no other Pokémon really use the run mechanic outside of the occasional Teleport or Roar/Whirlwind Pokémon.

PokéSatan hanging around in a cave for you to come and catch it just seems weird and off-putting by comparison.

Sure it’s a hassle to catch them but uh, it kinda SHOULD be a hassle to catch all-powerful beings. It adds much more character to them and makes them seem special, since no other Pokémon really use the run mechanic outside of the occasional Teleport or Roar/Whirlwind Pokémon.
the fact they can be caught at all already ruins their all powerful beings title. imagine being trapped by a man made mechanism that fails if a random starly is at full health lol

even then, for me the hassle doesnt give the idea of power, it just gives annoyance. it stops being interessing as soon as they do it twice. At least swsh's roamers have a set path and actually show their character of, even if I dont like them all that much.
its the same reason why low catch rates dont work like "showing theyre super powerful", it just makes legendary catching boring, annoying and probably some of the worst parts of the older games. At least the new ones raise the catchrate so you can quickball and skip it entirely

Ema Skye

Work!
New Pet Peeve: After Gen 5, GF really stopped giving new abilities to old Pokemon.

Gens 4 and 5 went nuts giving old Pokemon new abilities. This is how we got stuff like Magic Guard and Unaware for Clefable, Technician Scizor, Multiscale Dragonite, Sheer Force Nidoking and Regenerator Slowbro, to name some significant examples.

Between Gens 6-8, they introduced over 100 abilities, more than the amount introduced in Gens 4 and 5 combined. Yet of these 'new abilities' in the past three gens, only 3 gave any distribution to old Pokemon:
  • Competitive (Jigglypuff line, Milotic and Gothita line)
  • Slush Rush (Cubchoo line)
  • Neutralizing Gas (Koffing line)

Gen 5 went ability crazy because of the dream world.
Between gens 4 & 5 most old Pokemon have most of their slots filled. Not all, by any means, but I do imagine after the initial surge in gen 4 and the required surge in gen 5, they just haven't felt as much need to until something strikes their bizarre fancy. Doesnt help a lot of pokemon without 3 abilities are Starters, Coccoons, Legendaries or things with Levitate

It would be nice if one of these gens they went back and started filling out those third slots, though. Especially for oh i dont know levitate pokemon. They already broke that "rule" once with Bronzong and then again with Koffing (who not only got Neutralizing Gas, but also a hidden ability with stench!)

Kinda weird they didn't reintroduce event moves in later gens
There were a ton for Gen 1 and 2, but they were never seen again after 3
admittedly Gen 2 had a lot of silly event moves, but still. If Grass Knott is given mass spam, then Zap Cannon Squirtle should be A-Ok
also, weird they never really buffed Ledian, despite making it an evil ruler Gen 5

It would be nice if one of these gens they went back and started filling out those third slots, though. Especially for oh i dont know levitate pokemon. They already broke that "rule" once with Bronzong and then again with Koffing (who not only got Neutralizing Gas, but also a hidden ability with stench!)
It's really strange that they are so much against giving Levitate Pokémon multiple abilities (like fan hack favourites Compound Eyes and Tinted Lens for Flygon).

So much against that that, when they removed Levitate for Gengar, they only gave it one ability.

admittedly Gen 2 had a lot of silly event moves, but still. If Grass Knott is given mass spam, then Zap Cannon Squirtle should be A-Ok
also, weird they never really buffed Ledian, despite making it an evil ruler Gen 5
SWSH has started to reintroduce a bunch of them, at least.

I hate the name for the flying type. It feels restrictive for no reason. I'm pretty sure air, wind and synonyms were used at the time, and would open up design options.
It was originally Bird type before being changed in the final release. This explains why Gust, Razor Wind, and Whirlwind are Normal type, with only Gust changing into Flying type in later Gens. I guess between choosing to call any flying Pokemon a bird, or callling the flightless Doduo a Flying type, the devs went with the latter.

Though really there's nothing stopping them from also treating flying type as the wind or air type for pokemon design purposes, they just....don't about 99% of the time. Clouds (Drifblim (who's a balloon....), Altaria (who's a bird...), Tornadus (who rides in one....)) get associated with them anyway and by this point there's several moves fully based around wind for them: Gust (albeit only gen 2-on), Aeroblast, Air Cutter, Air Slash, Defog, Hurricane, GMax Wind Rage, Max Air Stream...
I guess the idea is they're meant winds kicked up by other factors (wings, mostly) but the connection IS there. If they wanted some weird wind elemental they probably could

does anyone else keep forgetting Dragon Ascent is flying type or is that just me?

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
F9EA65DE-5595-4228-A9AC-3C9B63ED224F.png
the amount of text on the top of this card/how many times it references ‘single strike’.

The top right corner would’ve been fine, and they could’ve just used that for the urshifu’s. But instead, they had the nebula brain move of having single strike gigantamax urshifu vmax, which evolves from single strike urshifu v, and both of them have the ‘single strike’ on the top right.

(also the fact that eternatus vmax can do the same amount of damage, but for only two energy which don’t get discarded, and a full bench of 8 due to its ability)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
View attachment 301724the amount of text on the top of this card/how many times it references ‘single strike’.

The top right corner would’ve been fine, and they could’ve just used that for the urshifu’s. But instead, they had the nebula brain move of having single strike gigantamax urshifu vmax, which evolves from single strike urshifu v, and both of them have the ‘single strike’ on the top right.

(also the fact that eternatus vmax can do the same amount of damage, but for only two energy which don’t get discarded, and a full bench of 8 due to its ability)
not gonna lie, this is me when i single strike

View attachment 301724the amount of text on the top of this card/how many times it references ‘single strike’.

I mean to be fair, this makes sense

The TCG differentiates between forms of Pokemon. They have to specify "single strike urshifu" because that's the form and it can only "evolve" from the lower version of single strike urshifu.

Meanwhile, for consistency reasons, they have to specify for this set if a card is the battle style single strike or rapid blow using the designated iconography

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can't talk about Xerneas or Yveltal but, with the exception of Eternatus, the required legendary catches have been very unconvincing to me.

- In BW1, you need to catch Zekrom or Reshiram because N would not accept your challenge otherwise... I mean, he has his reasons, but that's pointless.
FUN FACT: Technically you don't need to catch the other dragon. If you fill up your entire PC, once you knock out/run away from the Legendary Dragon it'll vanish and N will battle you without it. Sadly N doesn't say anything different, instead he just skips the line where he affirms you caught the other Legendary Dragon to heal your party and then battles. Still says after the battle how the other Legendary Dragon "chose" us.

However in XY, ORAS, and SwSH they keep a PC box locked until you battle Xerneas/Yveltal, Rayquaza, and Eternatus and catch it so you'll always have room in your PC.

But there is some instances where there is a force capture so if your PC if full you do need to release a Pokemon before you can continue with the story: ORAS with Latios/Latias and SM with Solgaleo/Lunala.

PokéSatan hanging around in a cave for you to come and catch it just seems weird and off-putting by comparison.
Well the idea with the stationary Legendaries is either you stumbled upon their nest/lair and/or they're testing you to see if you have the "strength" to capture them (they're more than strong enough to chase away anyone else that is unworthy).

Meanwhile the roaming Pokemon either have no permanent home/lair or are messing with you to see if you're worthy enough to catch them by chasing them down.

More importantly, why would you catch Giratina in anything but a Dusk Ball?
Cause it matches a Timer Ball or Luxury Ball better. Heck, even the Ultra Ball is better matching than the Dusk Ball:

Which one do you think Giratina best matches with?

Especially for oh i dont know levitate pokemon. They already broke that "rule" once with Bronzong and then again with Koffing (who not only got Neutralizing Gas, but also a hidden ability with stench!)
They should really make Levitate a sort of trait instead of an Ability because of this. Like, if the Bronzor and Koffing family can have members without Levitate than how does that explain them floating in the air yet still getting hit by Ground-type moves? If it was a trait certain Pokemon just got I feel it would free up design quirks they'd probably had to start working around as well as give all Levitate Pokemon some other Abilities to play with.

Heck, for a while I've been saying they should get rid of the "2 normal/1 hidden" Ability limit and allow for Pokemon to get certain Abilities via Breeding & Tutors (and maybe also the "transfer over" mechanic they did for Moves in SwSh where a Pokemon can learn a move from another member of its species if both are put in the Daycare together).

Well kind of the whole point of the "Origin Mark" mechanic they added in Gen VI was in order to purge the system of all Pokemon with event moves from competitive. So for them to have done with huge purge in the name of competitive only to then start doing it again unchecked would have made the whole thing pointless.

Ledian should have been made into a Bug/Fighting and stats of a physical version of Ribombee (60/95/70/55/60/124//464). Though when you say "evil ruler", do you mean the Ledian "trainer" in the PokeStar Studio movie "Timegate Traveler" (that was a parody of "Planet of the Apes")? That Ledian never fought, was kind of the whole point of the movie series; in the future Pokemon became the trainers and humans the beings that were caught and made to battle, the protag of the movie having to escape back to the past (yes, there's also a bit of "Back to the Future 2" too).

I hate the name for the flying type. It feels restrictive for no reason. I'm pretty sure air, wind and synonyms were used at the time, and would open up design options.
Hm, not really? Like, what designs do you think they're holding back from doing because it's called the "Flying" type instead of "Air/Wind"? We've gotten the Forces of Nature which were essentially gods riding around on clouds, the Hoppip family which are based on dandelion spores being blown around in the wind, Gligar family are a gliding scoprion/bat, Tropius is a flying tree, Drifblim family are balloons, Shaymin Sky Forme is a flying canine, Minior is a floating meteorite, and Celesteela is a rocket ship. If you're thinking is something like Castform not being Flying, that's more because of Castform's gimmick rather then the name of the Type, it was probably going to be pure Normal no matter what (and should be one of the Pokemon that is given Levitate as a trait because it can't have it as an Ability due to its gimmick, connecting it back to one of the above points)

does anyone else keep forgetting Dragon Ascent is flying type or is that just me?
Eh, for me it's something I just know due to knowing the reasoning behind it:

It's the Signature Move of Rayquaza, ruler of the skies.
It got the move the same time as Kyogre and Groudon got their signature move, both of them also not having clear names (would you guess Origin Pulse is Water-type from the name? And Precipice Blades sounds like a Rock or Steel-type move). Kyogre is the master of the oceans, Groudon is the master of the land, therefore their new Signature Move is the Types that best reflect that so Rayquaza would be no different.

ASCENT. Y'know. Taking off. Flying up. :psywoke:
Yeah but when they have the word DRAGON spelt out plainly it kind of overshadows the other word when we have other Dragon-type moves with "Dragon" in their name.

Ledian should have been made into a Bug/Fighting and stats of a physical version of Ribombee (60/95/70/55/60/124//464). Though when you say "evil ruler", do you mean the Ledian "trainer" in the PokeStar Studio movie "Timegate Traveler" (that was a parody of "Planet of the Apes")? That Ledian never fought, was kind of the whole point of the movie series; in the future Pokemon became the trainers and humans the beings that were caught and made to battle, the protag of the movie having to escape back to the past (yes, there's also a bit of "Back to the Future 2" too).
Pretty sure "evil ruler" was just an Iron Fist joke.

holding back from doing because it's called the "Flying" type instead of "Air/Wind"?
Pokemon that straight up cant fly would be one. Controlling the air doesn't actually correlate to flying, and flying doesnt correlate to controlling the air (just like swimming doesnt mean you have a mastery of water or being able to use one move from a fighting style doesnt mean you have a mastery on it). Sure they would often be found together, but they wouldn't need to. Kinda like that two circles diagram with the middle being the overlaps. Its 2 am and I can't remember the name please give me a break

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)