(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I’m not gonna lie, I thought Submission was cut in SwSh. That genuinely is a little strange.

However, notably, it does less recoil damage than any other move. It only actually does 1/4 of its damage as recoil, while the standard is 1/3. I can see why it has a lower BP for that reason, but the accuracy is a real problem. And as you say, 40 less BP isn’t an adequate price to pay for slightly less recoil damage.
This wasn't initially the case! In Gen 1, the "always get recoil" moves were Take Down, Submission, and Double-Edge, with all three dealing 1/4 of the damage dealt in recoil. Assuming Smogon's move dex is correct, Double-Edge only got its recoil adjusted to 1/3 in Gen 3, when Volt Tackle was introduced. Gen 4 added Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, and Wood Hammer, three more 1/3 recoil moves. Gen 5 added Wild Charge and Head Charge as 1/4 recoil moves (though the last one is a signature move, so how much it counts is up for debate).

Should've specified, but considering how much more Kanto, GSC, and DPPs small stuff are known (looking at you Everstone Haunter) in comparison, it feels like 3 got shafted
Then again not many are aware of GSCs fish sizes, so it's probably just me being subjective
haunter is one of four trades in diamond & pearl and it is specifically a troll so it sticks with people. In contrast fewer people probably know that in DP English copies the haunter, abra and chatot technically count as "japanese" entries since it's very niche you'd ever find this out without looking it up.

Likewise fewer people have experienced the brendan/may refight house option and its not likely to come up in passing (not really a "i like this" like trumpets or battle frontier or a "I hate this" complain point like the actual fight being hard or the lack of frontier in ORAS) but many people are going to remember, talk about &/or complain about getting owned by a Torkoal or the forced mandatory under-the-bridge mauville fight.
Or, like, hey! I have played a lot of RSE so I know that there's a beat in the game where you can see Wally in verdanturf and then a gym later he leaves and his family's dialog updates to reflect it. But also this little interaction doesnt get mentioned a lot because it's kinda...just there! It's neat but it's not neat enough to be like "this is why i love the game", ya?

See also: i am the only person who ever mentions the BW1 quest where you have to trade a pokemon with charge from the other version, which is cknowledged in-universe as "another universe" so they can power a time machine to talk to their father/son in the other version/past. I only mention this ever in the context of people complaining about ORAS mentioning timelines as a concept. Because it's interesting but not enough for me to go THIS IS WHY I LOVE GEN 5 listing and its not dumb enough to complain about.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Submission is a strange move to me. It's a recoil move which would imply that's the downside to something really strong, but it's only 80 power and not just that, it's 80 accuracy.

(...)

It really feels like it should be around 100 power and definitely 100 accuracy.
I agree, and if they do that they should do the same thing for Take Down & Wild Charge. The recoil is enough punishment.

e3: Additional real real question: Why Alolan Whip from Smash Bros not a move yet?
Eh, feels a bit like a variant of Darkest Lariat in presentation.

See also: i am the only person who ever mentions the BW1 quest where you have to trade a pokemon with charge from the other version, which is cknowledged in-universe as "another universe" so they can power a time machine to talk to their father/son in the other version/past. I only mention this ever in the context of people complaining about ORAS mentioning timelines as a concept. Because it's interesting but not enough for me to go THIS IS WHY I LOVE GEN 5 listing and its not dumb enough to complain about.
While certainly an interesting Trade and one I remember and find intriguing, it's not really the trade I think of when I think of notable BW trades. The one I think of is in Nacrene City where you trade your version's Grass-type for the other version's Grass-type (Petilil & Cottonee). Why this trade stands out because you can then later battle the trainer you traded with and they'll use the evolved form of the Pokemon you traded her and it'll have the nickname and gender of the one you traded her, implying it's the Petilil/Cottonee you traded with her. It's such a neat idea they sadly don't do outside of Gen V and they only do it one other time in the game.

Anyone else noticed how on Akkala Island in Alola, there seems to be a GOLF COURSE next to the Hano Grand Resort, but you can't visit it? I hate that!
Yup, it's one of the common complaints about certain areas you'd think would be explorable since it's given prominence on the map. A similar location is the Lake of the Sunne/Moone which is this giant ruins but you only explore a small fraction of it. And don't even get me started on Ultra Megalopolis...

I agree, and if they do that they should do the same thing for Take Down & Wild Charge. The recoil is enough punishment.

Eh, feels a bit like a variant of Darkest Lariat in presentation.

While certainly an interesting Trade and one I remember and find intriguing, it's not really the trade I think of when I think of notable BW trades. The one I think of is in Nacrene City where you trade your version's Grass-type for the other version's Grass-type (Petilil & Cottonee). Why this trade stands out because you can then later battle the trainer you traded with and they'll use the evolved form of the Pokemon you traded her and it'll have the nickname and gender of the one you traded her, implying it's the Petilil/Cottonee you traded with her. It's such a neat idea they sadly don't do outside of Gen V and they only do it one other time in the game.
It's not really a trade, per say. I mean it does require one but it requires a real trade for someone else's Pokemon and then they just "borrow" it for the purpose of the cutscene (which is to say its just a flag, its never actually removed).

BW2 does the same thing with equivalent trainers iirc, incidentally. It is indeed supposed to be the pokemon you gave them and if you trade them a higher leveled version of the Pokemon it will have 5 levels added on top (if its below 65 it'll be raised to 65 otherwise).

There is something that bothered me as a kid and didn't remember until I watched a certain video. Sadly I don't remember which video since I was busy the past weeks, and that is about the version exclusives.
Not that the games are barely different anymore and that two games are sold at full price. To me the most outragous thing is version exclusive legendaries.
You usually get them once per game so unless you are on some kind of forum or know people that really don't want to own legendaries, you have to buy what is pretty much the same game twice.

The trend started with RS, because you were able to catch both Lugia and Ho-oh in GSC. One more reason why Emerald is great because you can get any of the Hoenn legendaries that aren't locked behind event exclusivity.
Even today you aren't able to catch both title legendary Pokemon, and the second games in the series are sold as a pair too.
Even more annoying is when you play VGC and want a certain specific Pokemon from an old gen, you have to hope the game you bought has the legendaries you want to use.

To me ORAS should have given you the chance to catch both Groudon and Kyogre post-game alongside all the other improvements Emerald made. Minus pre-Elite 4 Rayquaza. We don't need to make the game easier than it already is.

Something that annoys me in RSE
-The Poocheyena spam
It gets ridiculous when you see >+lvl20 Poocheyenas in most of the Grunts teams. I get they want Gen 3 rep, but my God
Poocheyena is more repped than Carvanha/Sharpedo for team aqua!
Even Zigzagoon is less spammed

And similar to the last
-The notiorious refusal in evolving mons
Why are there so many unevolved mons in trainers? I was mad Rival Brendan/May didn't evolve the starter fully (ORAS fixes this, but then that game is rebalanced heavily)
This applies in Gym Leader refights too. Why is there a freaking lvl 40 Slowpoke in the Twins' fight?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There is something that bothered me as a kid and didn't remember until I watched a certain video. Sadly I don't remember which video since I was busy the past weeks, and that is about the version exclusives.
Not that the games are barely different anymore and that two games are sold at full price. To me the most outragous thing is version exclusive legendaries.
You usually get them once per game so unless you are on some kind of forum or know people that really don't want to own legendaries, you have to buy what is pretty much the same game twice.

The trend started with RS, because you were able to catch both Lugia and Ho-oh in GSC. One more reason why Emerald is great because you can get any of the Hoenn legendaries that aren't locked behind event exclusivity.
Even today you aren't able to catch both title legendary Pokemon, and the second games in the series are sold as a pair too.
Even more annoying is when you play VGC and want a certain specific Pokemon from an old gen, you have to hope the game you bought has the legendaries you want to use.

To me ORAS should have given you the chance to catch both Groudon and Kyogre post-game alongside all the other improvements Emerald made. Minus pre-Elite 4 Rayquaza. We don't need to make the game easier than it already is.
Imo this should have at least been the case in Diamond and Pearl. It would've been nice if Palkia/Dialga (whichever one wasn't the mascot for the game) was catchable post-game after you did everything else, albeit at a higher level. DP openly acknowledges both legendaries in both games and makes it clear that they both exist in either canon of the versions, so much so that they even let you get a "seen" Pokedex entry for the non-mascot counterpart in the game! They should've gone even further than that by making that legendary downright catchable post-game.

The only two cases where the version-exclusive legendaries make sense are in BW and SwSh, because while both games do acknowledge that both legendaries exist, the one you don't get ends up in the ownership of a notable NPC (namely, N gets the non-mascot dragon in BW1, while Hop gets the wolf that you don't get in Sword and Shield). BW2 keeping Reshiram and Zekrom version exclusive also makes sense because you only see N and his dragon in that game, while the other one still belongs to Hilbert/Hilda who you never meet in BW2. But DP in particular definitely should've went the GS route because it pretty clearly acknowledges that Dialga and Palkia both exist even in DP itself.

Imo this should have at least been the case in Diamond and Pearl. It would've been nice if Palkia/Dialga (whichever one wasn't the mascot for the game) was catchable post-game after you did everything else, albeit at a higher level. DP openly acknowledges both legendaries in both games and makes it clear that they both exist in either canon of the versions, so much so that they even let you get a "seen" Pokedex entry for the non-mascot counterpart in the game! They should've gone even further than that by making that legendary downright catchable post-game.

The only two cases where the version-exclusive legendaries make sense are in BW and SwSh, because while both games do acknowledge that both legendaries exist, the one you don't get ends up in the ownership of a notable NPC (namely, N gets the non-mascot dragon in BW1, while Hop gets the wolf that you don't get in Sword and Shield). BW2 keeping Reshiram and Zekrom version exclusive also makes sense because you only see N and his dragon in that game, while the other one still belongs to Hilbert/Hilda who you never meet in BW2. But DP in particular definitely should've went the GS route because it pretty clearly acknowledges that Dialga and Palkia both exist even in DP itself.
but the criticism isn't exclusive to title legendaries. Even something like Tornadus or Thunderus are exclusive to another game. But you aren't losing out on just 1 of these legendaries, you are also losing out on Landorus because you are required to own both.
And if you go out of your way to get both versions, you get access to 2 Landorus of which you likely won't need the other.

Same problem in HGSS, with Kyogre and Groudon to get Rayquaza. Same with various legendaries in USUM like needing Raikou and Entei to get Suicune. And while you can transfer the other one just to get Suicune, you have to pay for Pokebank which may shut down in the future and you can't use the transfered Pokemon in said VGC season. Yes, it doesn't matter now because USUM season is over, but for the time it did.
You have also the Latis where you can only decide in-game which one you want if you got emerald, otherwise you have to hope the game you like more had the Dragon you desire. I know there are few events that make it easier such as South Island, but now you won't likely see people around with 3DS going around with that specific game and owns an Eon Ticket.

For B2W2, you need keys to unlock 1 Regi which doesn't require trading so it's more barable, you can get only 1 Lati and if you want therian forms and want to change forms freely, you need Pokemon Dream Radar. And the therian forms aren't even myphicals that are banned from standard tournament games.

In SM and USUM you get a Cosmog so the ability to get the other title legendary. The problem is its evolution is version exclusive too, so you can't get Lunala in Sun, Ultra Sun or Shield

GS and their remakes allowed you to obtain both mascots without trading as well, making it the only time in a primary version something like this happened.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
but the criticism isn't exclusive to title legendaries. Even something like Tornadus or Thunderus are exclusive to another game. But you aren't losing out on just 1 of these legendaries, you are also losing out on Landorus because you are required to own both.
And if you go out of your way to get both versions, you get access to 2 Landorus of which you likely won't need the other.

Same problem in HGSS, with Kyogre and Groudon to get Rayquaza. Same with various legendaries in USUM like needing Raikou and Entei to get Suicune. And while you can transfer the other one just to get Suicune, you have to pay for Pokebank which may shut down in the future and you can't use the transfered Pokemon in said VGC season. Yes, it doesn't matter now because USUM season is over, but for the time it did.
You have also the Latis where you can only decide in-game which one you want if you got emerald, otherwise you have to hope the game you like more had the Dragon you desire. I know there are few events that make it easier such as South Island, but now you won't likely see people around with 3DS going around with that specific game and owns an Eon Ticket.

For B2W2, you need keys to unlock 1 Regi which doesn't require trading so it's more barable, you can get only 1 Lati and if you want therian forms and want to change forms freely, you need Pokemon Dream Radar. And the therian forms aren't even myphicals that are banned from standard tournament games.

In SM and USUM you get a Cosmog so the ability to get the other title legendary. The problem is its evolution is version exclusive too, so you can't get Lunala in Sun, Ultra Sun or Shield
And though not version exclusives per se, you can only get one of the Wild Horses and one of the new Regi in SwSh's Crowned Tundra expansion. You get to pick which one you want but still you only get one.

Also, though you can join other's Dynamax Adventures for them, each version has exclusive Legendaries for the Dynamax Adventures, usually the mascot Legendaries.

Got any video, cause I never even heard of that, but as a Sinnoh fan, I can feel you. Between slow game speed, God Arceus, Dom Cynthia, and lack of Fire types, Sinnoh discussion runs out of things to say way too fast unless you want to delve deeper.
Sorry for not responding immediately
To trigger this:
-Get the Pokenav
-Use Abra (can be found in the route right of Rustboro) to warp to Petalburg/LittleRoot to avoid the Rival
-Try to enter Mr. Briney's house. The rival will be there and prompt to challenge you
Vid of Rival

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 10)