Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Honest Game Trailers released the Pokemon Black & White Trailer

While still plenty funny, the names they come up for each Pokemon is still spot on (well, for most of them, though The_Emperor will be happy with one of them), I can't help but feel there's some animosity growing between Smosh Games and the Pokemon series (or at least that's how the Honest Trailer guy makes it sound like). I can take a joke, and he makes the ones you expect like GameFreak using the same gameplay over and over and how the Team Plasma plot brings up a good point about Pokemon being used but is essentially dropped, but then there's a few comments which sound honestly insulting and/or even hostile like when he tells us to put on our "Pikachu footie pajamas". Heck, they really only talked about the game itself for a little over a minute before they get to the Pokemon names they say which is why everyone is watching (also they didn't say anything about BW2). Honestly if this is how Smosh Games feels about Pokemon, at least for the main series, I think for XY they should just give funny names to Pokemon and not even touch what goes on in the game (not that there's much to talk about anyway).

Still a fun watch, though be prepared for some salt in the beginning. Also they seemed to like Detective Pikachu.

While still plenty funny, the names they come up for each Pokemon is still spot on (well, for most of them, though The_Emperor will be happy with one of them), I can't help but feel there's some animosity growing between Smosh Games and the Pokemon series (or at least that's how the Honest Trailer guy makes it sound like). I can take a joke, and he makes the ones you expect like GameFreak using the same gameplay over and over and how the Team Plasma plot brings up a good point about Pokemon being used but is essentially dropped, but then there's a few comments which sound honestly insulting and/or even hostile like when he tells us to put on our "Pikachu footie pajamas". Heck, they really only talked about the game itself for a little over a minute before they get to the Pokemon names they say which is why everyone is watching (also they didn't say anything about BW2). Honestly if this is how Smosh Games feels about Pokemon, at least for the main series, I think for XY they should just give funny names to Pokemon and not even touch what goes on in the game (not that there's much to talk about anyway).

Still a fun watch, though be prepared for some salt in the beginning. Also they seemed to like Detective Pikachu.
Given Black and White are the worst Pokemon games released, they wasn't much they could do. XY has more in it than BW did

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Given Black and White are the worst Pokemon games released, they wasn't much they could do. XY has more in it than BW did
There are tons of other games that would better qualify for that position such as Channel (if it even qualifies as a game) or Battle Revolution. Besides, Black and White has half-decent narrative and character development, things X and Y can't even claim because its story and characters were jokes.

Last edited:
Well, if we're going to go full-on salt war and declare our least favourite main games of the franchise; Diamond & Pearl were the worst the company ever put out, followed closely by Gold & Silver.

Have a nice day =)

edit: whoops, just realized this isn't unpopular opinions and this is actually the worst place to put it.
... I'm gonna leave it here.

Of course they threw in an Undertale joke.

Which I loved along with Ratpat.

Except we already had the game for free pre-installed on the 3DS. It was called Face Raiders.
Except it wasn't Pokémon, nor did it get you things for B2W2. Can Face Raiders give you Regenerator Ho-Oh?

Actually, that's another little thing I love about Pokémon: Regenerator Ho-Oh. It works well within its design (it is a phoenix) and competitively (helps with Stealth Rocks AND with the fact it is a bulky Pokémon).

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Except it wasn't Pokémon, nor did it get you things for B2W2. Can Face Raiders give you Regenerator Ho-Oh?

Actually, that's another little thing I love about Pokémon: Regenerator Ho-Oh. It works well within its design (it is a phoenix) and competitively (helps with Stealth Rocks AND with the fact it is a bulky Pokémon).
No, and for what it's worth, Dream Radar was a helluva lot better, but it still seemed a bit pricey for basically being Face Raiders with a Pokemon paint-job. Dunno about the price of the game in Europe, but it was around $15 here around when it came out iirc.

Still worth it for the HA legendaries though.

No, and for what it's worth, Dream Radar was a helluva lot better, but it still seemed a bit pricey for basically being Face Raiders with a Pokemon paint-job. Dunno about the price of the game in Europe, but it was around $15 here around when it came out iirc.

Here it was like around $5 or so. Are you sure you're not thinking of the full PokeDex app that came out at the same time?

Wait, 15$? Seriously?

Here it was like, £2.50

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Here it was like around $5 or so. Are you sure you're not thinking of the full PokeDex app that came out at the same time?
It could've been. It has been 4 years now (man does time fly), so I may be mixing the two up. I was fresh out of high school in 2012 and pretty strapped on cash at the time, so it may not have been as pricey as I remember it being at the time.

If it has always been $5, then yeah, revoke my previous statement.

AMEN, COD!

I still actively use the DexNav to hunt for breeding projects due to the ease of access. I mean, if the feature was implemented into the PokeDex (it IS called the DEXNav), then we have a wonderful new tool that is here to stay.

I do sort of wish we could use the Pokedex in battles, and have it function kinda like it does in the Manga, to show what moves a Pokemon could have. Obviously only a singleplayer feature though, it would bog down multiplayer too much
I'd also like the idea of if not telling you what moves the opponent can use, at least remembering the ones that they use, in addition to listing possible abilities and type weaknesses and immunities, and telling you the stats, or at least possible stats. One thing I like about Showdown is that you at least have a very good idea if you're gonna get to move first, or going to have to take a risk taking a hit.

It sucks that I never got B2W2, and to this day, still have neither Regenerator Ho-Oh, or Multiscale Lugia. Hopefully, they'll be released again.

Last edited:
It sucks that I never got B2W2, and to this day, still have neither Regenerator Ho-Oh, or Multiscale Lugia. Hopefully, they'll be released again.
Last time I checked (which was recently), you could still get Dream Radar. Just buy a cheap, used copy of B2W2 and Dream Radar (along with a copy of HeartGold to get Ho-Oh and SoulSilver to get Lugia), and you should be good.

Last edited:
I've always really, really liked that no matter what game in the series you're playing, your Pokemon never actually die, just get knocked out.

As a gamer that never kills things in video games if they can help it, a game where you know right off the bat that the consequences never wind up fatal for anyone sits really well with me. It makes it feel that much more fun, like a friendly competition instead of something serious and grimdark like so many games go for.

I've always really, really liked that no matter what game in the series you're playing, your Pokemon never actually die, just get knocked out.

As a gamer that never kills things in video games if they can help it, a game where you know right off the bat that the consequences never wind up fatal for anyone sits really well with me. It makes it feel that much more fun, like a friendly competition instead of something serious and grimdark like so many games go for.
Although you get hit by Fridge Logic if you lose to the villainous team or a pissed-off Legendary since they have no reasons to take everything as a "friendly competition".

So I'm trying to pull off the infamous Mew glitch in Pokémon Blue and I realized I didn't get a Butterfree or Jigglypuff for easy sleep capture of Abra. So I was looking at the Pokémon in the route and, of course, there's Bellsprout and Oddish.
Both of which learn Sleep Powder at level 18 for easy capture of Abra.
Kudos, Game Freak. An early example of good game design.

I like all the flavor texts that add personality to your Pokemon; that includes their Pokedex entries, natures, and characteristics. Natures and characteristics, of course, are not only aesthetic add-on as they do have a huge influence on how they'll play out competitively, which is nice as well. But yeah, all these things add more "realism" and individuality to our beloved Pokemon. Really great for role-playing purposes! And yep, you bet I was ecstatic with the introduction of Pokemon-Amie because now you can get up close and personal with your Pokemon.

Since it's Pokémon Day and I'm drunk

Basically everything. As I do with Star Wars, I think of Pokémon as a world of escapism. Certainly (for both franchises) not every entry is perfection, but I'm transported to this magical world every time a new installment/episode/generation is released.

I still remember getting a VHS (Google it) in the mail from Nintendo, promoting this weird new Japanese cartoon as a 9 year old, and immediately becoming attached to Charmander.

When September rolled around, I lied to my mom, telling her if she bought me this ridiculous game with a huge blue turtle on it I would share it with my sister. Needless to say, my sister has never played Pokémon to this day.

Happy Pokémon Day OI!

On a similar line of thought as I've said many times, it is just wonderful that there has been this franchise that has connected so many people together for the last two decades and hopefully many, many more in the future.

Happy 20th, Pokémon.

Since it's Pokémon Day and I'm drunk

Basically everything. As I do with Star Wars, I think of Pokémon as a world of escapism. Certainly (for both franchises) not every entry is perfection, but I'm transported to this magical world every time a new installment/episode/generation is released.

I still remember getting a VHS (Google it) in the mail from Nintendo, promoting this weird new Japanese cartoon as a 9 year old, and immediately becoming attached to Charmander.

When September rolled around, I lied to my mom, telling her if she bought me this ridiculous game with a huge blue turtle on it I would share it with my sister. Needless to say, my sister has never played Pokémon to this day.

Happy Pokémon Day OI!
That reminds me of how I got into Yu-Gi-Oh (VHS and all) and how my mother thought that buying me a Yugi Starter Deck would be the last purchase of that sort. 13 years later (Tuesday is the anniversary of that purchase and yes I know it by heart). We are STILL laughing over that incorrect prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)