Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ok so uhh... This happened.

There was no build-up for this. No hyping. No prior announcement. No fanfare.

And I love every second of it.
Huh, I didn't even know this channel even existed! Looks like this is now where they're placing all those Pokemon songs and additional little things they used to do. It only goes about a year back so lines up. And a weird part is that they have some videos in English, and I don't mean just dubbed or has an English title, as in the song has been translated into English even using the English name of the Pokemon (with the original Japanese version of the song either right next to it or a few videos away). Are any of those appearing anywhere outside of this Japanese Youtube channel? That's a bit of work to do for them not to have sent to an English equivalent channel.

Shout out to @LoganwWi781 two replies down for complaining about DLC cost and demanding the return of the national dex. Dude is apparently so committed that not only did he complain in response to the BLM tweet, but his entire twitter presence is literally just this. He also inspired someone to make an account telling called "Fuck Logan Williams" and may or may not be impersonating a different Logan Williams who used to be super butthurt like this but eventually calmed down.

EDIT: I checked the replies to his tweet. Half of them are telling him to "shut the fuck up" and the other half are saying basically the same thing but in different words. Literally no one likes this guy, not even people who want the national dex back.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I just went to the Castelia Back Alley, a place not many know that's connected to Castelia sewers. After beating 3 trainers that hang-out there and becoming their new boss, the old boss says 'People like you deserve a medal.' Cue a medal waiting for you at the Pokemon Center.
Now there's something I liked I wished they kept (and kept in-game): Medals.

While they didn't do anything, the B2W2 Medals were a fun way to give at least an illusion of an award acknowledging the player for doing something that otherwise would have just gone unnoticed. Walking a certain amount of steps, saving your game, visiting the Pokemon Center, reading Trainer Tips, riding your bike, fishing, completing the dex (awarded in a few ways), using HMs, buying from shops, breeding/hatching, went to all the bridges in Unova, & going to all the towns/cities.

But that's not all, they also had plenty of medals awarding you for doing things many players wouldn't do or get from chance, or possibly seeked out to just get the medal! Reading the graffiti on the back of the Route 2 sign, getting a freebie from a vending machine, checking trash cans, finding hidden items, watching TV, resting at home, reviving a fossil, catching one of N's Pokemon, getting a Shiny, finding a Pokemon with Pokerus, becoming the "boss" of Castelia City (as mentioned above), hearing about all the trains in Anville Town, seeing a Wailord in the Marine Tube, sticking your face in the face board in Humilau City, answering the Heavy Machinery Pro's questions in Twist Mountain, reached the deepest part of the Abyssal Ruins, & seeing Diamond Dust weather effect.

They also had medals for the multiplayer mode such as encountering players in the Tag Mode, using Pass Powers, & catching Pokemon in the Entree Forest from the Dream World. Sadly if you replay the game now you can't get any of these...

BUT luckily these were just the Adventure Medals! They had 3 other categories which also had dozens of medals you can get either from playing normally, luck, or going out to get. Giving those a quick sum up:

Battle:
  • Medals for all the Trainer Battles you do.
  • Medals for beating the Subway Bosses on the various Train Lines.
  • Medals for beating Pokemon World Tournament tournaments.
  • Medals for clearing the White Treehollow/Black Tower.
  • Battle a lot in Small Court & Big Stadium.
  • Using a "not very effective" move.
  • Using Splash in battle.
  • Using Struggle in battle.
  • Earning 1 million experience points in one day.
Entertainment:
  • Medals for Link Trading.
  • Registering Friend Codes in the Pal Pad.
  • Playing Spin Trade.
  • Using the Feeling Check.
  • Trading a Pokemon from Black 2 with White 2/White or White 2 with Black 2/Black.
  • Giving your Pokemon Mail to hold.
  • Medals for competing in Musicals.
  • Collecting all the Musical Props.
  • Medals for completing the PokeStar Movies.
  • Medals for Join Avenue.
  • Medals for Xtransceiver mini-games.
  • Medals for Funfest Missions.
  • Medals for Memory Link.
Challenge:
  • Medals for beating the Pokemon League with a team of Pokemon of a certain Type.
  • Beating the Pokemon League with one Pokemon.
  • ... Okay, those are the only medals, but they take at least a few hours to get not counting the time needed to train up a team.
I was hoping they would keep the Medals in upcoming games, and they did!... Sorta. They were in-game but rather something part of the Global Link in Gen VI. Both XY and ORAS had their own Medals... but I don't know. Since you didn't get them in-game they felt a bit less exciting and by the time of ORAS you can tell GF lost any interest in them as there aren't as many of those "secret/seek them out" ones. Oh, and not to mention with them having closed down the Gen VI Global Link all those medals no longer exist... *heavy sigh*

At least nice to see they do live on in Pokemon GO.

XY/ORAS' medals were defintiely lack luster, it was eays to forget they even existed much less earn them.

BW2 medals were a whole THING. You had an in-game viewer, obviously, but also you got a little animation every time you collected one from the medal vendor.

I feel like Gamefreak/TPCI/whoever wanted the global link to be this really important quasi-social-media thing but it just did not stick at all.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I just went to the Castelia Back Alley, a place not many know that's connected to Castelia sewers. After beating 3 trainers that hang-out there and becoming their new boss, the old boss says 'People like you deserve a medal.' Cue a medal waiting for you at the Pokemon Center.
Just the bit about going to an obscure place in the overworld made me all nostalgic. Ever since BW2, has there really been any single location in the main series games that would fit the description: "So I just went to ___, a place not many know that's connected to ___"?

Kalos might come the closest, with some locations like Glittering Cave, Sea Spirit's Den, or Pokémon Village being a bit off the beaten track, but neither Alola nor Galar have any such obscure locations. Especially in Galar, everything lies right on the main path that you're required to walk down in every playthrough, and the Wild Area is not big enough to have any tucked-away locations. Just the existence of large, optional dungeons with secret locations at the end is something I really miss from the earlier games. Heck, even RBY had places like the Power Plant or Seafoam Islands. Why aren't there more places like this in modern Pokémon games?

Just the bit about going to an obscure place in the overworld made me all nostalgic. Ever since BW2, has there really been any single location in the main series games that would fit the description: "So I just went to ___, a place not many know that's connected to ___"?

Kalos might come the closest, with some locations like Glittering Cave, Sea Spirit's Den, or Pokémon Village being a bit off the beaten track, but neither Alola nor Galar have any such obscure locations. Especially in Galar, everything lies right on the main path that you're required to walk down in every playthrough, and the Wild Area is not big enough to have any tucked-away locations. Just the existence of large, optional dungeons with secret locations at the end is something I really miss from the earlier games. Heck, even RBY had places like the Power Plant or Seafoam Islands. Why aren't there more places like this in modern Pokémon games?
That little cave area on Melemele that leads to the patch of grass where you can catch a Bagon is the only example I can think of in Sun and Moon. I definitely missed that area on my first playthrough. Then again, there isn't much to explore there either.

I'm doing a run on HGSS, and after you unlock Surf/Strength/RockSmash, you can start from New Bark Town and almost every route, every city, every cave, have some water areas that you can explore, to get TM, items, etc... I miss it !
I’ve fond memories of playing Platinum and doing a little mini tour round the region once I got Surf to see what I could find. Lots of little areas you wouldn’t expect!

That little cave area on Melemele that leads to the patch of grass where you can catch a Bagon is the only example I can think of in Sun and Moon. I definitely missed that area on my first playthrough. Then again, there isn't much to explore there either.
Sun and Moon also has a whole desert that you never visit during the story and can easily be missed if you let NPCs teleport you around.

SM also had Ten Karat Hill. It's fully optional in SM (until you want to find Necrozma at literally the last possible moment) and you can only access it at the end of Mele Mele, so it' seasy to forget here were even breakable rocks near Kukui's beach.

And while it's not...quite...the same, there's this part on Akala with the light house that you really have to go out of your way to try & find the path to. Even if there's not much there.

In general I had a fun time going back through the islands, Melemele in particular, after beating their kahunas and finding new things.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor

Kalos might come the closest, with some locations like Glittering Cave, Sea Spirit's Den, or Pokémon Village being a bit off the beaten track...
You have to go to 2/3 of these in the story. The lack of obscure locations really stands out in Kalos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)