Little things you like about Pokémon

I think you're completely missing the point, which is that Hidden Power was already a pretty bad move that was only used in desperate situations. Sure, Electric-Type Pokémon commonly used HP Ice for Ground-Type opponents, but the vast majority of them would prefer Grass Knot or Surf like Raichu could use. The type that by far used Hidden Power the most was the Grass-Type, specifically pure Grass-Type Pokémon, because pure Grass-Type Pokémon don't receive coverage most of the time and legitimately are stuck with exclusively Grass- and Normal-Type moves (Pollen Puff has now been introduced to give Bug-Type coverage to some of them, but Bug- and Grass-Type have terrible neutral coverage in the first place). Porygon-Z was again stuck with HP Fighting because it has nothing for Rock- or Steel-Type Pokémon without it; in Gen III most Ghost-Type Pokémon also used HP Fighting for Normal- and Dark-Type opponents because they had no other moves to even hit them neutrally with for considerable damage.

Hidden Power existed as an easy way for competitive Pokémon battlers to fill in the gaps that Game Freak themselves left by not properly conceptualising the movesets of Pokémon. Now that it's gone, Pokémon like Lilligant and Manectric have sorely missed out, because Game Freak didn't bother to say "wow, both of these use HP Ice in literally every battle they've ever been used in. Let's just give them Icy Wind because a bunch of weird Pokémon can learn that, and it's still a weak move that is only used for coverage purposes". Hidden Power was only 70 BP at its peak and 60 BP later on; its sole use was to his super-effectively opponents who resisted a Pokémon's STAB attack, because this is the same BP as Shock Wave or Mud Bomb, which are terrible moves. It didn't make any Pokémon that good, it just made them less bad.

HIdden Power being removed isn't a problem in its own right, but having no provisions put in place to patch up the hole left is a problem.
Not every Pokémon needs perfect coverage for their movepools. As a whole it definitely was Electrics and Grasses that tended to use HP the most because said types don't get many coverage options, for some reason, but I'm also against giving weak coverage moves to Pokémon who "need" them just for the sake of "coverage."

Sure, Manectric doesn't get a good move to hit Dragon and Ground Pokémon, but it gets good Fire coverage, something that helps it stand out. Lilligant... I'm not going to defend its coverage, but it IS the only non-Smeargle, non-Bug type to learn the move Quiver Dance [note: looked it up and forgot Bellossom]. It also has the Own Tempo and Petal Dance combo to spam its 120 BP STAB move after boosting (it's a bad STAB type, but hey). Saying Porygon-Z has nothing to hit Rock and Steel Pokémon is a bit disingenuous, IMO; Ice and Electric moves are good options to hit Rock and Steel Pokémon respectively, and Shadow Ball has very few resists/immunities from those two types.

The TM/TR list in SwSh seems designed to fill holes in decently-powered options of types that lacked them before, moreso on the Physical side (my theory is that Physical moves tend to have more specialized distribution because Special moves are usually either purely elemental or conceptual, making it easier to hand out, say, Flamethrower or Psychic to special attackers of those types than it is to give Blaze Kick or Psychic Fangs to physical attackers). This ended up enriching the Physical movesets of a lot of Pokémon but left a vacuum for Special attackers who didn't already have good coverage.

"Pokemon X and Y are easy games."

On the surface, yes. They give you Mega Lucario, they give you the starters, everybody knows how wimpy the bosses get after Grant...but like...do a playthrough of the game without that stuff, and you'll notice a lot, like, a LOT of random field trainers have some really tough Pokemon.

If you look at the Boos in Mook Clothing page on TV Tropes, discounting postgame stuff it is likely XY has the most of pretty much any game in the series. I quite like how X and Y generally have some oddly hard mook fights on the field. Might as well skim down the list and give some of my own thoughts on the dungeon trainers too.

It begins as early as Route 5 with the Rising Star with a Kadabra at only level 13. Sure it can derp with Teleport and Kinesis, but if Ai roulette happens to select Confusion prepare for Mt. Moon Rocket Grunt Raticate on crack barely two hours into the game.

Next is on Route 6 with the well-known Furfrou duo. They are completely optional, but considering they have only one weakness (Fighting, which you're unlikely to have at that point) and Furfrou's likely comparatively better stats than you, it's going to be tough to take out two-oh they have two Super Potions?!!

Also on that route (I think on the other section?) has Tourist Takemi, the guy with a Volbeat - oh guys it's just a Volbeat, the moves can't be that scary-

Confuse Ray, Double Team, Moonlight, and Tackle. Have fun, kids.

How about that chick on Route 8 with the Axew? Rising Star Paulette. Not as bad as Furfrou double, but remember Axew has Attack on par with Darumaka and Carvahna, some of the highest of unevolved mons at base 87 Attack and Dual Chop...and Dragon Rage, which 2 shots anything. I don't think you'd lose to it, but considering Dragon resists all three starter types and the only Fairy types IIRC at that point are Flabebe (lol) and Azurill (gets Play Rough at 50 in XY as opposed to 25 in ORAS as Azumarill) it's not exactly easy.

Cyllage Gym on the whole is rather tough mook-wise, which is rather unusual for gym trainers. Rising Star Didier can hit you kinda hard with Dwebble's Rock Blast to soften you up for Relicanth. If you don't have a Grass move or a special attacker at this point this Relicanth can be awful to kill.

You tend to encounter this thing late in most games, but at the second gym the stats are pretty beefy:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 4.42.11 PM.png

Cyllage Gym also has Rising Star Manon, while not as bad as the Relicanth guy, Solrock and Lunatone again have some relatively strong stats that early, and Cosmic Power makes them hard to kill despite the myriad of weaknesses. Also, Lunatone has Hypnosis.

But all these guys are just the warm-up for a recurring menace throughout the rest of the game: Battle Girls and Black Belts, oh boy! This was sort of the case in Unova as well thanks to good natural learnsets, but they get really dangerous in X and Y.

You know how in most Pokemon games, the only rank and file trainers you have to really try against are basically Ace Trainers, Rangers and Veterans? Yeah, these Fighting trainers break that distinction and they are painful. Everybody knows Battle Girl Hedvig in Reflection Cave is awful, with that Throh and the Hawlucha with Fighting/Flying/Rock coverage, and Brains and Brawn Frank and Sly outside Reflection Cave have Mr. Mime and Machoke when it's likely most of your team isn't fully evolved yet, and as such are very hard to kill and take hits from.

But back to Battle Girls and Black Belts in general. The ones in early on tend to have stuff like Bulldoze, Payback (I think, not sure), and Rock Tomb, which when combined with how strong mons like Sawk and Throh are early on, they will make those moves hurt. Later in the game around Frost Cavern it gets even worse, oh you're gonna use Vivillon on this Mienshao? RANDOM ROCK SLIDE, PUNK, YOUR BUTTERFLY IS DED.

Then after Team Flare is done for, Black Belts get full on insane around Terminus Cave! Most will generally have Rock Slide or even Stone Edge, and even Earthquake as a random coverage move. I legit switched out my Aerodactyl on a Smack Down Hariyama (which cancelled Fly lol) which was smart enough to follow it up with an Earthquake (which my Seviper switch-in died to), and everyone knows Ground generally isn't the easiest thing to switch into.

It's around this time the game also likes throwing Pokemon Rangers at you with a lot of diverse Pokemon, which similar to Ace Trainers can have some diverse mons and occasionally coverage. Stuff like an Intimidate Miltank / Tauros double, or a Nidoking / Nidoqueen combo. And then you get Victory Road, where as usual the mooks get pretty tough, like the last trainer in Victory Road, a Veteran who has an Alakazam at Level 57 with the moves Psychic, Focus Blast, Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball.

But no mention of XY catching you off guard would be complete without mentioning the Sky Battles, which a good chunk of the time are so tough Game Freak straight up lets you lose to them without going back to a Pokemon Center. Here's some of their lineups.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.06.28 PM.png

They tend to give good money to compensate how tricky they can be. but what makes them scary is how devious some of them are. Emolga, Rotom and Cryogonal are the obvious ones, but there's also Sky Trainer Sera on Route 19, which has the deadly combo of Reflect Noctowl and Stone Edge Aerodactyl. As for the rest of them, well, considering the fact you will likely only have one Pokemon for them, they have a good deal more stakes than most other random battles, even removing the "get booted back to the Pokemon Center upon a loss" thing.

There's also Psychic Inver on Route 18, who has IVed and EV mons (I think, not sure if they have them like most bosses in Alola do) at level 55 pre-League (65-post League, why did he get upgraded when the E4 didn't??) I know he's optional but like LOOK AT HOW MANY MONS THIS GUY HAS WITH GOOD ITEMS! My (slightly underleveled) Pyroar was OHKOed by Marowak's Thick Club non-STAB Outrage!
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.29.50 PM.png

And one other thing from that Boss in Mook Clothing page (my personal favorite):
"If you make the mistake of using the Lumiose City taxi service when you're extremely low on money, the driver will challenge you to a battle. If you're lucky, he'll have as his lone Pokémon a level 33 Sandile, which still massively outlevels anything you'll have when you first gain access to the taxi, but is at least a first-stage Pokémon with multiple exploitable weaknesses. The other options for his lone Pokémon will be Sandile's evolved form, Krokorok, at level 55, and Krokorok's evolved form, Krookodile, at level 66."

This random Krookodile guy more or less level matches the forgettable Champion Diantha!
Said Krookodile has Foul Play, Sandstorm, Outrage and even STAB Earthquake if you plan on fighting it.

Remember, you're likely close to the 40s at this point, so lol.

I beat that level 66 Krookodile shortly after Clemont in the 40s. It's a really fun superboss almost no one talks about and I love how obscure it is.

So yeah. If there's one thing about X and Y that is fun to revisit, it's the route trainers. They generally have interesting lineups throughout pretty much the whole game (even discounting the hard trainers, you see Pokemon variety comparable to Orre in the mooks thanks to X and Y's huge dex). Do they make it a game that holds up years later for most people? Probably not, but I hope you enjoy this little retrospective on surprisingly tough trainers in the widely considered super-easy games.

And then Alola / SWSH goes back to one Pokemon for like 90% of mooks...why would you change this legitimately good aspect, Game Freak?

Also shout-outs to the SHOUTING HIKER IN FROST CAVERN Ai that legit pulled some Pokemon Showdown-level crap: The Ai used Bulldoze Graveler a few times to drop my Lapras's Speed so it was lower than the last mon Carbink, then used Skill Swap before I could move to get Water Absorb to make my Surf useless. THESE PLAYS MAN!

And yes I know this could go in unpopular opinions or hardest relative NPC but I don't really care. I just wanted to give some love to one of the most commonly-cited universally-bland games (which, to be fair, I also hold that opinion for the most part).

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Honestly I've always thought that with exp share off (& no affection bonuses), XY had a fairly respectable difficulty curve even with the weird chocies (that have gone on at length in the other thread, yes....) pertaining to team composition (my main complaint is always the number of pokemon, specifically) and movesets.

It is always fun when a Pokemon's default moveset inadvertantly creates a monster of an encounter, regardless of generation.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
It is always fun when a Pokemon's default moveset inadvertantly creates a monster of an encounter, regardless of generation.
Not when you're trying to grind. You know what's not fun? Watching a Pokémon I'm trying to train get wiped off the face of the planet because a random wild Solrock shapeshifted into a nuke mid-fight. I like my throwaway fights easy.

Not when you're trying to grind. You know what's not fun? Watching a Pokémon I'm trying to train get wiped off the face of the planet because a random wild Solrock shapeshifted into a nuke mid-fight. I like my throwaway fights easy.
It can definitely be an issue but considering how default movepools often end up being a relative joke at most given levels, it's a nice change of pace.

It also depends on the efficacy of the AI piloting it IMO. Any late-game Kadabra or Alakazam fights in Gen 1 would be a nightmare with a good pilot. Recover, Psychic, and Reflect? Nasty.

"Pokemon X and Y are easy games."

On the surface, yes. They give you Mega Lucario, they give you the starters, everybody knows how wimpy the bosses get after Grant...but like...do a playthrough of the game without that stuff, and you'll notice a lot, like, a LOT of random field trainers have some really tough Pokemon.

If you look at the Boos in Mook Clothing page on TV Tropes, discounting postgame stuff it is likely XY has the most of pretty much any game in the series. I quite like how X and Y generally have some oddly hard mook fights on the field. Might as well skim down the list and give some of my own thoughts on the dungeon trainers too.

It begins as early as Route 5 with the Rising Star with a Kadabra at only level 13. Sure it can derp with Teleport and Kinesis, but if Ai roulette happens to select Confusion prepare for Mt. Moon Rocket Grunt Raticate on crack barely two hours into the game.

Next is on Route 6 with the well-known Furfrou duo. They are completely optional, but considering they have only one weakness (Fighting, which you're unlikely to have at that point) and Furfrou's likely comparatively better stats than you, it's going to be tough to take out two-oh they have two Super Potions?!!

Also on that route (I think on the other section?) has Tourist Takemi, the guy with a Volbeat - oh guys it's just a Volbeat, the moves can't be that scary-

Confuse Ray, Double Team, Moonlight, and Tackle. Have fun, kids.

How about that chick on Route 8 with the Axew? Rising Star Paulette. Not as bad as Furfrou double, but remember Axew has Attack on par with Darumaka and Carvahna, some of the highest of unevolved mons at base 87 Attack and Dual Chop...and Dragon Rage, which 2 shots anything. I don't think you'd lose to it, but considering Dragon resists all three starter types and the only Fairy types IIRC at that point are Flabebe (lol) and Azurill (gets Play Rough at 50 in XY as opposed to 25 in ORAS as Azumarill) it's not exactly easy.

Cyllage Gym on the whole is rather tough mook-wise, which is rather unusual for gym trainers. Rising Star Didier can hit you kinda hard with Dwebble's Rock Blast to soften you up for Relicanth. If you don't have a Grass move or a special attacker at this point this Relicanth can be awful to kill.

You tend to encounter this thing late in most games, but at the second gym the stats are pretty beefy:
View attachment 324340

Cyllage Gym also has Rising Star Manon, while not as bad as the Relicanth guy, Solrock and Lunatone again have some relatively strong stats that early, and Cosmic Power makes them hard to kill despite the myriad of weaknesses. Also, Lunatone has Hypnosis.

But all these guys are just the warm-up for a recurring menace throughout the rest of the game: Battle Girls and Black Belts, oh boy! This was sort of the case in Unova as well thanks to good natural learnsets, but they get really dangerous in X and Y.

You know how in most Pokemon games, the only rank and file trainers you have to really try against are basically Ace Trainers, Rangers and Veterans? Yeah, these Fighting trainers break that distinction and they are painful. Everybody knows Battle Girl Hedvig in Reflection Cave is awful, with that Throh and the Hawlucha with Fighting/Flying/Rock coverage, and Brains and Brawn Frank and Sly outside Reflection Cave have Mr. Mime and Machoke when it's likely most of your team isn't fully evolved yet, and as such are very hard to kill and take hits from.

But back to Battle Girls and Black Belts in general. The ones in early on tend to have stuff like Bulldoze, Payback (I think, not sure), and Rock Tomb, which when combined with how strong mons like Sawk and Throh are early on, they will make those moves hurt. Later in the game around Frost Cavern it gets even worse, oh you're gonna use Vivillon on this Mienshao? RANDOM ROCK SLIDE, PUNK, YOUR BUTTERFLY IS DED.

Then after Team Flare is done for, Black Belts get full on insane around Terminus Cave! Most will generally have Rock Slide or even Stone Edge, and even Earthquake as a random coverage move. I legit switched out my Aerodactyl on a Smack Down Hariyama (which cancelled Fly lol) which was smart enough to follow it up with an Earthquake (which my Seviper switch-in died to), and everyone knows Ground generally isn't the easiest thing to switch into.

It's around this time the game also likes throwing Pokemon Rangers at you with a lot of diverse Pokemon, which similar to Ace Trainers can have some diverse mons and occasionally coverage. Stuff like an Intimidate Miltank / Tauros double, or a Nidoking / Nidoqueen combo. And then you get Victory Road, where as usual the mooks get pretty tough, like the last trainer in Victory Road, a Veteran who has an Alakazam at Level 57 with the moves Psychic, Focus Blast, Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball.

But no mention of XY catching you off guard would be complete without mentioning the Sky Battles, which a good chunk of the time are so tough Game Freak straight up lets you lose to them without going back to a Pokemon Center. Here's some of their lineups.

View attachment 324343

They tend to give good money to compensate how tricky they can be. but what makes them scary is how devious some of them are. Emolga, Rotom and Cryogonal are the obvious ones, but there's also Sky Trainer Sera on Route 19, which has the deadly combo of Reflect Noctowl and Stone Edge Aerodactyl. As for the rest of them, well, considering the fact you will likely only have one Pokemon for them, they have a good deal more stakes than most other random battles, even removing the "get booted back to the Pokemon Center upon a loss" thing.

There's also Psychic Inver on Route 18, who has IVed and EV mons (I think, not sure if they have them like most bosses in Alola do) at level 55 pre-League (65-post League, why did he get upgraded when the E4 didn't??) I know he's optional but like LOOK AT HOW MANY MONS THIS GUY HAS WITH GOOD ITEMS! My (slightly underleveled) Pyroar was OHKOed by Marowak's Thick Club non-STAB Outrage!
View attachment 324353
And one other thing from that Boss in Mook Clothing page (my personal favorite):
"If you make the mistake of using the Lumiose City taxi service when you're extremely low on money, the driver will challenge you to a battle. If you're lucky, he'll have as his lone Pokémon a level 33 Sandile, which still massively outlevels anything you'll have when you first gain access to the taxi, but is at least a first-stage Pokémon with multiple exploitable weaknesses. The other options for his lone Pokémon will be Sandile's evolved form, Krokorok, at level 55, and Krokorok's evolved form, Krookodile, at level 66."

This random Krookodile guy more or less level matches the forgettable Champion Diantha!
Said Krookodile has Foul Play, Sandstorm, Outrage and even STAB Earthquake if you plan on fighting it.

Remember, you're likely close to the 40s at this point, so lol.

I beat that level 66 Krookodile shortly after Clemont in the 40s. It's a really fun superboss almost no one talks about and I love how obscure it is.

So yeah. If there's one thing about X and Y that is fun to revisit, it's the route trainers. They generally have interesting lineups throughout pretty much the whole game (even discounting the hard trainers, you see Pokemon variety comparable to Orre in the mooks thanks to X and Y's huge dex). Do they make it a game that holds up years later for most people? Probably not, but I hope you enjoy this little retrospective on surprisingly tough trainers in the widely considered super-easy games.

And then Alola / SWSH goes back to one Pokemon for like 90% of mooks...why would you change this legitimately good aspect, Game Freak?

Also shout-outs to the SHOUTING HIKER IN FROST CAVERN Ai that legit pulled some Pokemon Showdown-level crap: The Ai used Bulldoze Graveler a few times to drop my Lapras's Speed so it was lower than the last mon Carbink, then used Skill Swap before I could move to get Water Absorb to make my Surf useless. THESE PLAYS MAN!

And yes I know this could go in unpopular opinions or hardest relative NPC but I don't really care. I just wanted to give some love to one of the most commonly-cited universally-bland games (which, to be fair, I also hold that opinion for the most part).

Thanks for reading!
Yeah, I don't like XY either, but the normal trainers are pretty good even if the Gym Leaders don't match up. That being said I disagree that the succeeding games go "back" to having low rosters. I don't think anyone you mentioned goes past 3 mons, and more commonly have 1 or 2. But for me this just demonstrates why trainer roster size is such a weird thing to fixate on, because quality is absolutely more important than quanity. XY's trainers have the dreaded small rosters yet manage to be more memorable to me than a lot of the trainers in older games. Frankly, the older trainers typically only had larger rosters because they were bloated with garbage. Like, there's no real difference between a trainer with Seadra/Seaking/Horsea/Goldeen and one with Seadra/Seaking.

(actual boss fights are a different matter where quality and quanity should be expected, but sadly XY fails to deliver on either front)

Yeah, I don't like XY either, but the normal trainers are pretty good even if the Gym Leaders don't match up. That being said I disagree that the succeeding games go "back" to having low rosters. I don't think anyone you mentioned goes past 3 mons, and more commonly have 1 or 2. But for me this just demonstrates why trainer roster size is such a weird thing to fixate on, because quality is absolutely more important than quanity. XY's trainers have the dreaded small rosters yet manage to be more memorable to me than a lot of the trainers in older games. Frankly, the older trainers typically only had larger rosters because they were bloated with garbage. Like, there's no real difference between a trainer with Seadra/Seaking/Horsea/Goldeen and one with Seadra/Seaking.

(actual boss fights are a different matter where quality and quanity should be expected, but sadly XY fails to deliver on either front)
good point! yeah trainer rosters are weird.

Quality is definitely more important though! I think Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's boss design is superb aside from Ultra Necrozma, which falls in the Platinum Fantina category of "how do they expect the average player to reasonably counter this?"

The Mind Electric

I swear this forum specifically is the only one I've seen complain about Platinum Fantina
Platinum Fantina seems like she's mostly just a level test. You're probably not going to out-think Mismagius with the tools available to you at that point unless you reach super deep into the bag of tricks, so you kinda just have to match it in strength. That's what I did, anyway.

I swear this forum specifically is the only one I've seen complain about Platinum Fantina
Even if she wasn’t difficult I’d still complain.

After a 105 Special Attack massacre via Shadow Ball, she gives you Shadow Claw. That’s some grade-A trolling.

I mean, even Byron who dies if you look at him funny gives you Flash Cannon. Though some of the other gym rewards aren’t that gre-okay fine they give you Stealth Rock at the first gym, not like I care personally.

Even if she wasn’t difficult I’d still complain.

After a 105 Special Attack massacre via Shadow Ball, she gives you Shadow Claw. That’s some grade-A trolling.

I mean, even Byron who dies if you look at him funny gives you Flash Cannon. Though some of the other gym rewards aren’t that gre-okay fine they give you Stealth Rock at the first gym, not like I care personally.
Well, that's because they insisted in only giving TMs with moves introduced in their generation. Until XY, at least.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
It was a quiet March 16th, and the secret rares for Matchless Fighters, japan’s newest set, had been shared online

Xaviere was poring his milk before his fruit loops, and looked at his phone. Because of the shock of how good the alt art’s were, he put the fruity loopies in his mug. Using a fork to eat the fruit loops, he took 4 days to feel like taking a picture for
smogon dot com.

The Actual Secret Rares:

F7C43253-3058-4F03-AE4C-FA59347F33AA.jpeg

1616328073235.jpeg

1616328100667.jpeg

1616328020897.jpeg

1616328126199.jpeg

1616328156084.jpeg

Last edited:

The Mind Electric

It was a quiet March 16th, and the secret rares for Matchless Fighters, japan’s newest set, had been shared online

Xaviere was poring his milk before his fruit loops, and looked at his phone. Because of the shock of how good the alt art’s were, he put the fruity loopies in his mug. Using a fork to eat the fruit loops, he took 4 days to feel like taking a picture for
smogon dot com.

The Actual Secret Rares:

This is really cool but "Goltres" makes me extremely upset.

For the Galarian birds, I prefer to call them Psychicuno, Fightdos and Darktres. No need to make their names too complicated.

Anyway, I'm posting here again because I have come up with some more things I like. And in an unexpected twist, I have more nice things to say about my least favorite games. I have come up with not one but two(!) more things I like about HG/SS.

First, let's go back in time a bit. I said a while ago that I like RNG abuse (and I expected that to be somewhat controversial, but it feels like it wasn't). This includes all games from Gen 4 & 5 as those are the generations I have learned to RNG in. Naturally, HG/SS are among them. I honestly really like to RNG in HG/SS, it is probably the most fun thing to do in these games if you ask me. While I find them to be really horrible when it comes to doing general Pokémon things, they are actually pretty good and fun when it comes to RNG abuse. Also, I have previously said that I like how there are a lot of legendaries to catch in HG/SS, but what I said between the lines was how I like how there are a lot of legendaries to RNG in them.

HG/SS also have a few advantages over D/P/P in terms of RNG. Confirming which seed you hit through Elm Calls is good for several reasons. It pauses the game on the whole by bringing up the screen, and it advances the frame at the same time. In comparison, checking the seed through coin flips in D/P/P does neither. While I think that is fine regarding how it doesn't advance the frame (there are still Chatot chatters and Journal flips, so no issue there), not pausing the game can be annoying if you are RNGing in an area with moving NPCs since they can advance the frame while you are confirming the seed through coin flips. This is usually not an issue, but it can be annoying in some situations, such as when going after gift Pokémon or wild Pokémon in certain areas. I guess you could use the frequences of the Chatot chatters to confirm your seed, but I am personally not skilled enough to do that in most situations.

Confirming which seed you hit is also one thing Gen 4 does better than Gen 5 regarding RNG. In Gen 5, you just have to hope that you didn't get trolled by your Timer0 (or you could use Chatot chatters, but as said, it requires skill) and you basically have to catch/obtain your Pokémon before you know if you got it right. But in Gen 4, you can check your seed directly and just reset the game if you got the wrong one, without having to catch/obtain the Pokémon. The main thing Gen 5 has over Gen 4 is of course that it is easier to hit the right time as Gen 5 requires you to hit a whole second, while Gen 4 requires you to hit the right 1/30 of a second. Still possible with a bit of assistance though (EonTimer is awesome!). In the end, I really like RNG in both Gen 4 and Gen 5, they are different but both are very fun and I have grown to appreciate both fo them over the years.

Back to what I wanted to say more about HG/SS. They are also better than D/P/P when it comes to RNG breeding. I have never tried RNG breeding in D/P/P, but I have heard that it is an utter pain because there are a lot of moving NPCs in Solaceon which can advance your frame. In comparison, HG/SS only has one moving NPC on Route 34 where the Day-Care is located. While said NPC can cause trouble sometimes (it has happened to me on several occasions, and it is often annoying), I imagine that it must be much worse in D/P/P. And as said, HG/SS pauses the game while confirming your seed the standard way, while D/P/P doesn't.

HG/SS are also better when it comes to obtaining Wondercard gifts. In D/P/P, there are moving NPCs in every single Poké Mart! But in HG/SS, there are no moving NPCs in the Cerulean and Fuchsia Poké Marts, which makes it easy to RNG Wondercard gifts there. Because of that, I am for once happy that Kanto is included in HG/SS.

The second thing I like about HG/SS is their events. Time traveling with Celebi, getting the second Lati thanks to the Enigma Stone, getting the Spiky-eared Pichu at Ilex Forest as well as seeing Arceus create a Sinnoh Dragon at the Sinjoh ruins... those are all awesome things. But at the same time, I guess one negative thing about them is the fact that they are event-only. Especially when it comes to the Celebi event, I feel that it is something that shouldn't have been event-only. Still, I like the events and I am happy I was able to experience all of them in some way.

I also like events in general. While it is often argued that just getting a Pokémon without anything more is a bit boring, I still like it. I definitely prefer getting a cool event Pokémon in a boring way as opposed to not getting one at all. Being able to catch/obtain them in the wild is of course pretty cool, but I don't mind just obtaining them regularly. I think that just getting an event Pokémon in itself is really cool.

Lastly, one more thing about events. As most players probably know, all mythical Pokémon that existed at the time were given away through events in Gen 6. Which was really good. But did you know that the same thing happened back in Gen 4? Every mythical Pokémon that existed back then was also given away through some sort of event. I did personally not know this until just recently, I learned about it while I was researching things for my current project.

Let's take a look at all the mythicals that existed in Gen 4 and how they were distributed.

Mew: Wi-Fi event for HG/SS
Celebi: Store events, could be obtained in all Gen 4 games
Jirachi: Wi-Fi event for all Gen 4 games
Deoxys: Store event for D/P
Phione: Never given out, but could be obtained by breeding any Manaphy (if you even count Phione as a mythical in the first place)
Manaphy: Could be obtained through the Egg from Ranger, there were also store events for D/P
Darkrai: Store events for D/P, the Member Card was also given out through Wi-Fi for Platinum
Shaymin: Store events for D/P, Oak's Letter was also given out through Wi-Fi for Platinum
Arceus: Store events for D/P/P

So that's really cool. The same thing did not happen in Gen 5 & 7, and it has yet to happen in Gen 8. I guess it sort of happened back in Gen 1/2/3 as well, though they had considerably fewer mythicals than the newer generations.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
(hey Yung Dramps i’m saying good things about a drampa)
1616423612604.jpeg
The design of the gx cards before tag teams, and an analysis on drampa gx as an example.

180 hp was good for a basic gx, although the weakness to buzzwole was annoying.
Attack 1: This was good against zororak, and decks that run a lot of special energy. Some zororak decks only ran 4 double colourless energy, so you could automatically win if you got rid of those

Attack 2: With a choice band, you could reach a maximum of 180 damage for 3 energy, which was good at the time. This was first put into a drampa/garbodor deck, where you either didn’t play items and be too slow for drampa, or play items and lose to garbodor. Garbordor required the meta to shift it’s tempo and use of items, and could probably be the subject of another essay someday.
(also drampa was used in banette decks, as shady move would active berserk’s effect)

GX attack: This could be good, but an annoying n would drop your hand to your prize card count. If your opponent prized/didn’t have their n’s, this would give you a lot of cards in your hand, and you would have a lot of options next turn.

(also drampa was in the deck that won the senior’s division in the 2018 world championships, that’s pretty cool)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The jokes just write themselves:
https://kotaku.com/japanese-city-features-slowpoke-on-postal-truck-and-mai-1846533930

Woman: Make sure this letter gets to my niece on time for her Birthday.
Slowpoke: Don't worry, you can trust us she'll have a delightful 15th Birthday surprise in the mail!
Woman: But she's 10.
Slowpoke: Did I stutter?

That's right, this baby gets 79 miles on the gallon! The secret is it moves at .62 miles per hour!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A little thing I like about the Switch Pokemon games is the fact that I can take advantage of the loophole of save files being attached to the account playing it means that I can feasibly have multiple save files in one cartridge of the game. Meaning if I want to do another playthrough of Shield (or hypothetically LGPE, even though I don't have that game), I can just grab my alt account on my Switch and use that and never have to delete my original playthrough. I can always use my alt for playthroughs and I no longer have to deal with the psychological threshold of having to destroy everything I got and worked toward in my first playthrough to have to play the game again from scratch.

This will be great when BDSP and Legends come out, because this loophole will make them even more replayable than the original DPP were, because I can just use my alt account for fresh playthroughs when I want to replay them from scratch while my original save and team remain wonderfully intact because it's forever attached to my main Switch account. I know it wasn't necessarily the intention for GF to make multiple saves deliberately, but it's a wonderful loophole of the way the Switch works that I can take advantage of when I do multiple playthroughs of a Pokemon game, knowing I will never have to delete my original playthrough ever.

A little thing I like about the Switch Pokemon games is the fact that I can take advantage of the loophole of save files being attached to the account playing it means that I can feasibly have multiple save files in one cartridge of the game.
I mean, is it a loophole? I think that most developers would see it as "sweet i dont need to make a built in save feature anymore", especially those like pokemon who had people beg for multiple saves for a long time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)