Little things you like about Pokémon

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
a big ol’ essay about zororak gx
By Xaviere
1616710045682.jpeg
From October in 2017 to the 2019 NAIC, this fox was one of the top decks in the tcg. Because i post about tcg things now, here’s a look at it. But first, let’s look at limitlesstcg to see how many zororak decks existed, then i’ll rabble about its strengths.

A3621B44-B461-423B-B85E-35BB617B384A.png
711F1B64-637B-4FE5-B809-F710F9754490.png
936B1AAF-7677-45CA-80E4-9D964A000F51.png
8A73E203-5FAC-4005-A884-5F010198D622.png
BCFB0BCE-69C0-42BF-872A-02EE86CF871D.png

You may notice it’s annoying weakness to fighting, but there was a tech for this. A mew ex would be able to copy riotous beating, and swat those mosquitoes away.

Now, let’s talk about trade. This could be activated by multiple zororaks in the same turn, so it granted you incredible draw power. In addition, you could discard cards that you don’t need, or that need to go to the discard pile for a special effect.

Oh wait, mallow and eventually celestial storm magcargo worked with this too. We’ll be focusing on magcargo for this example, but mallow’s twice the effect for a supporter cost. Using magcargo’s ability, you could put any card in your deck to the top, which can be gotten with trade. For the cost of discarding one card, you can get any card you need, and a extra card too. Again, this was great, and gave consistently to decks.

For a single attachment of a double colourless energy, you could do 120/150 damage, depending if you had a choice band on or not. Before the tag teams were a thing, the bulkiest cards had 250 hp, meaning you would be 2HKO’ing the majority of the meta. In the expanded format you had sky field, which could make you do 180/210 damage.

It’s gx attack wasn’t bad, but it did cost 2 coloured energy. In some decks you could do this and get a good attack off, but it wasn’t what your deck was based around.

https://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?id=47&view=results&variant=8 go here this post’ll make the thread go to page 120 if I posted the pictures
...i probably’ll take a break from posting for a while, this took time

Okay I know this might be cheating but I was browsing Bulbapedia and i-

View attachment 327573

The what method?

Okay for context:
View attachment 327575

Even if you don't think about...certain parts of that word, I will never not hear the word "dongle" because it's just an inherently funny word and very goofy.

Thanks Bulbapedia for making me laugh like a megalomaniac!
If you think that part of computer naming is dirty, you should check out which connectors are classed as male and which are female.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Okay I know this might be cheating but I was browsing Bulbapedia and i-

View attachment 327573

The what method?

Okay for context:
View attachment 327575

Even if you don't think about...certain parts of that word, I will never not hear the word "dongle" as hilarious because it's just an inherently funny word and very goofy.

Thanks Bulbapedia for making me laugh like a megalomaniac!
I too am a master of the dongle method.

What do you mean this is a Pokémon forum?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Storytime

During my senior year of high school, I had an idea for a Pokemon game and even after graduation it kept bouncing around in my head. I thought the idea would be so cool that I even made a spreadsheet for a tabletop rpg rendition of it, though it was never completed and it's now lost somewhere on my high school email account I dont wanna go back to.

Thing is, this idea, from my perspective at the time, seemed like a total pipe dream, something way too outside the box to ever be a possibility outside of the realm of fangames. It was quite simple, really: I really wanted a Pokemon game that was set in ancient times. A game where Pokemon existed that no longer would be in the region in the future due to natural selection, where catching them was different due to the times and technology. And my #1 choice for a hypothetical pilot for this concept... Was Sinnoh.

You cannot envision the goofy smile I had upon it fully sinking in February 26 that my pipedream had just become a reality.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cos Rotom is awesome and popular. I’ve kinda always had this theory it was meant to be a legend at one point in development but was scrapped for whatever reason. Its also the only Pokemon that can change form outside of battle apart from legendaries. Also in PMD2 its listed as an accomplishment to recruit Rotom, something also exclusive to legendaries (and Unown).

Rotom having the Legendary theme in DPP. I wonder if it’ll keep it in BDSP? Hope so.
The opposite happens for Cresselia and Shaymin, they get the regular wild Pokémon battle theme despite being legendary/mythical.

Regarding Rotom, I also wonder if it was meant to be legendary at some point in development. I remember back from the early D/P days (when they were first released in Japan), it seemed to be unclear whether Rotom was a legendary or not. Personally, I remember that I thought that Rotom was a legendary at first because of the way it appeared, and how elusive it was.

Let's continue with saying more nice things about D/P/P! I have recently been replaying these games as part of my current project, and I have come up with some more things that I really like about them.

First of all, I like how Fullmoon and Newmoon Island are the complete opposites of each other in so many ways. It makes sense because they are the homes of Cresselia and Darkrai, which in turn are opposites of each other. Fullmoon Island is a lush, green area with a very nice atmosphere, being there has always given me a very positive feeling. It also has calm and relaxing music, which is neat. In comparison, Newmoon Island is partly deserted, with rocks and a mostly dry landscape. It has creepy and haunting music, and the atmosphere is quite scary. They are also complete mirrors of each other in terms of raw layout. One other interesting thing is the shapes of the small ponds located at the inside area of each island. The pond at Fullmoon Island is shaped like a Crescent. While this may just be a reference to Cresselia, it is quite similar to a new moon. In comparison, the pond at Newmoon island is more shaped like a round sphere, similar to a full moon. I'm not sure if the pond shape being contrary to the island name was intentional, but that's the impression I get from it, and I think it is really cool.

I also want to say that I really appreciate all the improvements Platinum did to D/P. Not just major things like the regional dex expansion, Battle Frontier and the Battleground, but the small details as well. I really like the graphical improvements Platinum did to Sinnoh, the region looks so much better, it is way more colorful and lively compared to in D/P. I also apprecaite the minor graphical improvements in the battle menus, item menus and even for the small panel which shows up when you enter a new area! I'd say Platinum is the best 4th Gen game graphically, that's for sure. I also think it is the best 4th Gen game overall.

One other thing I really like is how Platinum is so much faster than D/P. I have mostly been playing D/P for the past month, and while they felt very slow at first, I got used to that slowness after a while, to the point that it didn't bother me anymore. Today, I switched to Platinum, and it was so much faster that I got shocked! Going directly from D/P to Platinum gives a very noticeable difference in gameplay speed, especially in battles. But it happens outside of battles as well, the game just feels faster somehow. Although there are some things that are just plain better, such as the improved surfing speed or the fact that you can use the bike when going through gates. So I really like how they made Platinum faster than D/P.

Lastly, something unrelated to the Sinnoh games. Random and minor, but I like how in G/S, Unown-W had a different design compared to in later games.

Left is G/S, right is Crystal (and subsequent games). While I like its new design better, I think it is still pretty cool how it had a different design at first. This was something I never noticed in the past since I never bothered that much with catching Unown back in G/S (or Crystal), I learned about it from Bulbapedia in more recent times.

Edit: Fixed the images, they should work properly now.

Last edited:

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
With regards to Rotom, it definitely seems like it was meant to be a legendary at some point. It's the last non-legendary in the Sinnoh Pokédex, it gets a bunch of different forms, it's in a weird one-of-a-kind place that most people won't think to look, and it has the theme. Making it non-legendary was probably a last-minute decision.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I’ve kinda always had this theory it was meant to be a legend at one point in development but was scrapped for whatever reason.
It's a common theory that Rotom was intended to be a Legendary (as we see with everyone else's response). I'm open to the suggestion, but as Lemingue said I think making it a normal Pokemon in the end was probably for the best.

Why Was Rotom (Potentially) A Legendary to Start With?: If I had to guess it likely was to go along with Sinnoh's theme of myth & legends. Sinnoh introduced the most Legendaries out of any region and gave them all significant lore befitting a Legendary (or Mythical). So where did Rotom fall in line with this thinking? Rotom may have likely been intended on a take of an "Urban Legend". Think back to past Pokemon urban legends considering finding Mew under a truck or taking the space shuttle in Mossdeep to the moon to battle Jirachu/Deoxys. Now think how you find Rotom: "Hey, if you go to the haunted mansion place at night one of the TVs will be turned on and if you interact with it a poltergeist Pokemon will come out and battle you"! Also compare this to past Legendary encounters where, after going through the dungeon needed to get to them, they're just standing right in plain view waiting for you to approach them. Not so with Rotom, while its obvious you should check out the TV, it's still not the Pokemon your directly interacting with. Plus, as said, you need to do this at night, had you gone in the day the TV is still there but turned off; technically nothing changes about the room except the TV is on at night.

Why Was It Demoted If It Was A Legendary: While having an "Urban Legendary" Legendary is a cute idea, comparatively it did clash with the other Legendaries. We had gods of time & space, the embodiments of the parts of a spirit, a titan that pulled the continents, a molten beast born from the planet's core, two celestial creatures of dreams & nightmares, a cute critter that's spontaneously is able to create life, the creator god... and then a mischievous gremlin who possess electronics. Which one of these is not like the other?... The one that got demoted.

Legendary Stats: If true, curious what Rotom's stats were originally. Its BST was likely 600 like the other extra Legendaries, so with its stats now being 50/50/77/95/77/91//440 that's 160 points missing which doesn't evenly divide by 6. Now there's some odd numbers there so let's raise those odd numbers to the nearest number divisible by 5: 50/50/80/95/80/95//450. That's now 150 missing which does evenly divide by 6: 25. So add 25 to each stat and we get: 75/75/105/120/105/120//600. Not bad.

Appliance Forms: So, the last question now is whether they planned on the Appliance Forms from the start. And I'm going to say probably not, or at least it was a concept on paper but they didn't do anything with the idea until Platinum. The reason I say this is because the forms feel kind of slapped together. In Gen IV they didn't change Type & the gimmick where they learned a new move of the "matching" Type was (and still is) pretty lacking.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

This song. Truly, the words evade me. I love it so much, how goofy it is, the instrumentation, its bizarre placement. I haven't the damndest clue what was the intended emotion and why it was chosen as the backing to this location in particular, and I don't care because it's legit surrealist comedy that I adore.

(i know this should probably go in favorite themes but im on mobile rn and that thread makes me lag due to all the embeds so this is easier for me)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This song. Truly, the words evade me. I love it so much, how goofy it is, the instrumentation, its bizarre placement. I haven't the damndest clue what was the intended emotion and why it was chosen as the backing to this location in particular, and I don't care because it's legit surrealist comedy that I adore.
Maybe the idea was that it was made by Pokemon trying to play human instruments? To go along with the village being Pokemon recycling human garbage to make structures to live in & play with. Maybe a batch of them found discarded, broken instruments which, hey, the humans don't like for some reason but they still make noise so let's try making some music and this is the result.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok, now for something more appropriate for this thread specifically
8FE08FFB-9E14-45D3-90E1-E1F2334FD563.jpeg

I love how seemingly even in the earliest battles in BDSP, Mt. Coronet is quite literally looming over the horizon. That's just a great environmental detail to set up this key location to the player early on. Between this and the wall patterns in the player's house, ILCA seem to be sticklers for detail! If that same love and attention carries over to gameplay and content we're in good hands.

I like how HGSS made all the Kanto Songs sound more like their gen 1 counterparts. In GSC, a good chunk of the songs sounded off since sections of the song were cut off. Just listen to Mt Moon in RBY to and compare it to the one in GSC and you'll see what I mean. HGSS fixed this issue and made most of the songs sound great again. They even went the extra mile did this to the Kanto gym leader theme too (If you go to 0:50, you'll hear the RBY version). I just noticed this when listening to the song again and think its really cool.

Another detail I like about HGSS is that the level up jingle when you are fighting a Gym Leader is slightly different than the one you'll hear during normal gameplay.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This thread is too far down, here's something to cheer it back up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonTCG/comments/m7m9ue So things I learned from this little girl:
  • You open TCG cards by cutting the top off with scissors right near the top of the cards.
  • Weedle is also known as "Call for Family".
  • Getting a super rare Shiny print of Charizard only aspires mild amazement.
  • Now "Water Energy", THAT'S exciting. Also I've been calling it wrong the whole time, it's actually "Energy of Water".
  • Bede is pronounced "Bed" and is a girl.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
In the middle of my current Pokemon Emerald let's play and I noticed something cool: there are some trainers who carry a full team of six if faced in a single battle, but will only use the first three if they team up with another trainer to fight you in a double battle.

It's kind of neat they apparently didn't want NPCs ganging up on the player with twelve Pokemon - that'd be downright brutal. Later in the game when you team up with Steven at the Space Centre I always found it funny that the game only lets you have 3 Pokemon. As far as I know there's only a few instances in the games where you can have a 12v12 battle: the Gamecube games allow it, and there's an instance in the Sinnoh games where the player teams up with Barry against Mars and Jupiter which can actually be a twelve-on-six fight, since Barry has a full party. Do any of the modern games let you do 12v12? I'm not as familiar with more recent titles but a quick Google informs me not.

1618757363221.png

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is probably a bit more meta compared to what this thread is usually for but can I just give a shoutout to the Gen 3 fanbase real quick? Honest to god, they're what every other generational fanbase should hope to and strive to be. They're not overly obnoxious like the Gen 4 and 5 fanbases, and they don't gotta deal with any bullshit forcing them to constantly justify their existence like the 3D game fans, they're in this amazing state of equilibrium where they just vibe and talk about Hoenn. I would say Gen 2 fandom is a solid second place but they're just a smidgen worse off due to some recent hype backlash against HGSS in particular.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
They're not overly obnoxious like the Gen 4 and 5 fanbases, and they don't gotta deal with any bullshit forcing them to constantly justify their existence like the 3D game fans
Where exactly do you see this going on? I've never really seen this.
In what ways are the Gen 4 & 5 obnoxious?
And why do Gen 6, 7, & 8 have to "justify their existence"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)