Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Aragornbird

Votes: 18 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Note: I missed some submissions in the last poll. These have now been added and voting reset. Please vote again.

Let's see how pure public opinion works - it's certainly less hassle.

I voted Bombiron, because I feel its a perfect rendition of a Hypno, not only quite hilarious in it's execution. It brought a very unique style to this month's contest, and to me is slightly reminiscent Rocket Grunt's art.

Of course Aragorn's is obviously amazing and quite aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not entirely convinced that its a dragon Reshiram as much as an achaeopteryx Reshiram, maybe it could also be a pheonix Reshiram?

Sentret's also had great personality and skill, and for me would have tied with Aragornbird. The colors and Shading are quite nice, though it seems to me that there are a few anatomical errors, and the fire doesnt look as much like fire as i wish it would.

Elcheeso had a great entry as well, truely pulling off the lineless art, while capturing the image of both Woobat and a real bat in one. The fur effect is also astounding, but I think that if the shading in the background was the same as on the bat it would look much more natural. Either lighting the cave around it, or making it seem more as if there was a bright light source in front and adding more depth to the shading would work.

With another representation of lineless with Froslad's, feels a little lackluster when compared to Elcheeso's. Thats not to say it doesnt have it's own individuality and charm. I think the fur on the underbelly was quite well done, and it seems to have a natural stance in it's flight. Though again, quite a few anatomical errors, such as one ear being lower and bigger than the other, the limbs seem to be lines rather than bendable objects, and the feet dont seem to show actual representation of what they should be. The lighting that the electricity is producing isnt bad, its just a matter of not knowing how it should be done.

The first piece, the Raikou, has good lighting, and a really cool look to it, but big and major anatomical errors, mostly in the legs and head. For one, the legs are much too small for the large body, for two, the feet are not even in the shape of paws, and the claws stick out any which way. As stated in the posting thread, it would help greatly if you had added a back leg, even if not the best anatomy, as it would make the piece feel more complete.

Macle...Macle...is that the extent of your abilities? If so thats fine, but if you can do better works, I implore you, please do so next time.

It was hard to decide but I voted for Sentret. I love how he made Magcargo look realistic while also retaining his pokemon "look". Also improvising and making him more of a hermit crab than a snail is really cool, it turned out really well! Good luck to everyone though. ^_^b

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd also like your feedback on this being purely public opinion. Including judges makes the number of options more concise and acclaimed, but not including them means that this poll can get up on the day of the deadline or soon thereafter.

To me, it's a tie between Moo and Sentret. ElCheeso's was great, too! Pretty much everyone did an amazing job, but those were just my favorites!
Moo's is certainly the most creative, and it made me chuckle. It's also very well-executed.

Sentret's is absolutely adorable, and it's obvious that Sentret is very skilled.

Two very different pieces, but there isn't a single thing I didn't love about both of them, so I flipped a coin :toast:

I'm fine with public voting, but I haven't really been around here long enough to see how well having judges worked out, so I guess I don't really have much of an opinion.

Sigh-if only these could be "choose the two best." If so, I would have voted SoIHeardYouLikeSentret as well as Bombiron. There was so much good work this time (AragornBird was a definite third, elCheeso also did a nice job [it helped that I read Bulbapedia's "On the Origin of Species: Woobat" article], TeraVolt was nice, as was Moo-heck, even Sæglópur's Purugly had a nice harm to it, and macle despite laziness was cool) that it was hard to decide and I went with the one I deemed funniest (taking Hypno to its logical conclusion.)

Sentret caught my eye for art, while Moo's for concept. Ended up voting for Moo! Lots of great ones this time.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Alch, just having it as public opinion is imo far less arbitrary and actually more community-involved than having a group of judges narrowing down the choices. Plus, it's far less hassle and nobody's favorite can be excluded.

Voted for agagornbird's cuz it's fucking beautiful. SENTRET's was my second choice.

Here's some compliments to my favs!

Jarardo martino: I love the way you turned a creepy pokemon into a creepy realistic pokemon! If this is his altered form, then I'd hate to see what his origine form looks like!

Aragorn bird: Reshiram bird/dragon/ wolf awesomness. Nuff said.

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET: The best thing ever. Magcargo is now in ubers thanks to you!

Elcheeso: I wuv dat woobat. You were able to make it a cute mon even though this is a realistic contest. Bravo.

I would love to say something nice about mine, but...can't really think of anything that stands out with it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn, really wanted to enter this :(

Didn't realize how on-the-ball (er fast?) you were gonna be Alch. :P

Good luck to everyone :3

great peices, everyone! i voted sentret i love the little arms, but moo and aaragorn were close seconds and thirds

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Macle...Macle...is that the extent of your abilities? If so thats fine, but if you can do better works, I implore you, please do so next time.
my laptop with photoshop died so i couldnt do any real shading and shit. Next one will be better. :toast:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
imho, elcheeso's woobat not only adheres closely to the theme of realistic Pokemon, but it is also the most creative representation of an obscure pokemon.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Ahahaha saeglopur's is amazing.
And terravolt's is pretty awesome too.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just because the "theme" was realism doesn't mean it's good for composition and visual impact to be ignored. Above simply fitting the theme, the piece should be excellent as a stand alone art piece-- even to a viewer who didn't know about the aim of the contest.

Frankly, only Sentret and Aragornbird made pieces I would consider excellent in their own right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)