Marijuana Legality/Morality Discussion Thread

Smoke weed regularly, and don't want it to become legalised. As soon as it becomes legal, 25% tax on top of what it is now,
i'm very surprised nobody called you on this.

changing the legal status of something will directly alter the price in a significant way. do you think that gram of weed would be worth $10 if you could buy it legally from any drugstore? certainly not. $3, at most.

even if the government added a huge tax, i would bet it would still be significantly cheaper if it were legal than it is now.

Well if you look at it from this perspective, some people can smoke weed responsibly (?), as in dont get so hooked into it that it becomes a 'gateway' drug, while others can smoke it really irresponsibly, that they basically throw away their life for this drug. Now with the case of cigarrettes, there is basically no way to smoke tobacco 'responsibly', while judging from Vader's OP you can do weed responsibly. Because there is still the matter of experience with drugs, I assume Vader is quite experienced with drugs so he has some degree of control over himself I guess when high, but I dont really like the idea of an inexperienced maniac, high on drugs, driving on roads where he/she is a really big hazard to other innocent people
So the question remains, why arent cigarrettes illegal rather that marijuana if marijuana is really just less damaging?
Im guessing politics has a rather big say, but I dont know shit about politics so yeah.

In my person opinion though, Im against ALL drugs

I think it should be legal but I also think that anyone that smokes it is a loser. Everyone I know who smokes is an idiot/loser that is dependent on it. The people that I know that used to smoke were losers when they did and are now on their way to becoming awesome people. I'm a little biased since I saw it ruin all three of my siblings's lives.* I think it's okay for like, 14-18 year old kids to do but once you turn 18 you need to grow up and quit if you're smoking more than like 2-3 times a week.

I actually think alcohol is worse, as well. Alcohol isn't as bad if used in moderation but I know like two people who use it in moderation and ninety-two who don't. I'm thinking about boycotting family gatherings because none of my family members know how to drink responsibly and it's not something I want my son around. And I don't like being around them when they get sloppy.

*I know they ruined their own lives and pot is just the vehicle that they drove to rock bottom.

Also, the gateway thing they teach you about in DARE is total bullshit they made up with no research. But a lot of pot-heads do move on to harder stuff because pot's illegality makes you hang around people into harder stuff. I think if you made it legal the gateway aspect would be completely gone.

Outside of inhalation, weed is about as addictive and dangerous as anxiety or depression medication, I am sure there are a few key differences, but overall the side effects and hazards are nearly identical. So looking at a pure logical viewpoint (ei I couldn't give a fuck about it being a gateway drug), weed should be classed about the same as those medications. But no it isn't, that can only mean that those drugs should also be class 1 (which is ridiculous), or that weed needs to be brought down.

The only reasonable argument I have ever seen against that, are people who believe all drugs should be illegal, or truly believe anxiety and depression medications should be illegal, and both are pretty ridiculous. Remember I am arguing from a pure legal standpoint, so I don't want to see any hypothetical situations where everyone is high or something.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Drugs were made illegal for a reason (or 7 million), they should stay that way, always.

Straight edge for life

I think it should be legal but I also think that anyone that smokes it is a loser. Everyone I know who smokes is an idiot/loser that is dependent on it. The people that I know that used to smoke were losers when they did and are now on their way to becoming awesome people. I'm a little biased since I saw it ruin all three of my siblings's lives.* I think it's okay for like, 14-18 year old kids to do but once you turn 18 you need to grow up and quit if you're smoking more than like 2-3 times a week.
Oh come on, you support giving pot to kids but don't think adults should smoke it? It's way easier to get kids hooked on drugs than it is to get responsible adults hooked. Why do you think cigarette companies target teens?

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Lanturn's post is one of the few good ones in this thread. While cannabis use isn't nearly as bad for you as DARE or other such organizations claim it is, it is not completely "harmless" as others in this thread have stated. This is a decent starting point for some better information on the drug, although there is a definite pro-legalization slant.

There is one negative effect of consuming cannabis in particular I'd like to expand upon from my link:

Erowid.com said:
- can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders
The specific mental disorder that seems to have the most literature on its relationship with cannabis is schizophrenia. Many anti-drug advocates will point to the positive correlation between cannabis use and schizophrenia and say that the former causes the latter. However, as any first-year psych or sociology student will tell you, correlation does not imply causation. From what I can gather, the best explanation for this relationship is that in many schizophrenics, there is a specific "trigger" that brings about the onset of the disorder, and that for schizophrenics who have smoked in the past or still smoke cannabis, that trigger was a psychotic episode brought on by cannabis consumption. In other words, smoking pot won't make you schizophrenic by itself, but if you're prone to schizophrenia anyway smoking pot might be the thing that "pushes you over the edge," so to speak.

With this in mind, I'd advocate legalization with restrictions similar to (and slightly more stringent than) those on alcohol. I would recommend that anyone under the age of 21 (the age by which most people with schizophrenia manifest their disorders) should not be allowed to purchase or consume the drug, and that one should not be allowed to drive or operate other heavy machinery while intoxicated. In addition, I'd limit its public use to special bars or other such buildings. Secondhand cannabis smoke can probably still get you high, so care would need to be taken to insure that no one who wants to get high needs to deal with secondhand smoke.

All seriousness aside, I find it highly amusing that people on a Pokemon website are advocating the continued criminalization of cannabis because "people who try to escape from everyday pressures are pathetic."

I'm actually conflicted about this. On the first page someone mentioned separation between church and state. What some people fail to realize is that this was originated to protect the church from the state (legislative tampering in the personal affairs of the people). butttt.....

Considering the States is in something of a slump right now, is it really the best time to be allowing easier access of the fun-time party drug often associated with slackerism into the population? You'd think the government would be wanting to endorse a sober-minded hard work ethic at the moment and I don't see how marijuana in the equation would help things at all. I know some people, already pretty lazy to begin with, who refuse to do anything, weed just aggravating their lifestyle.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Drugs were made illegal for a reason (or 7 million), they should stay that way, always.

Straight edge for life
I can find one, care to enlighten me on the other 6,999,999?

The number one reason marijuana is illegal in the United States and Canada is due to Big Tobacco lobbyists. It's in the tobacco industry's best interest to keep marijuana illegal for obvious reasons and they're ready to do anything in their power to keep it that way. Morality really has little to do with this. It's relatively harmless compared to both tobacco and alcohol which are both legal and widely available to adults.
Edit, your from Britain (You've only mentioned it in every other post). I'm going to let Lee handle this, because I have no knowledge of British law.

Oh come on, you support giving pot to kids but don't think adults should smoke it? It's way easier to get kids hooked on drugs than it is to get responsible adults hooked. Why do you think cigarette companies target teens?
I don't think anyone should smoke it. I just think it is an acceptable "bad" behavior for a teenager. I think it is extremely pathetic when adults smoke regularly or are dependent on it. Mostly because its main negative side-effect is making people irresponsible and lazy.

One thing I just thought of is that when at legalize it we need to add in a section making it illegal to smoke anything anywhere where people can be exposed to second-hand smoke. This should include all forms of smoke. (i.e. tobacco) There should be bars, restaurants and other places for smokers so that I never have to see or smell them.

Drugs should be Illegal, I don't want to end up running around naked in the streets,
eating shit and depressed forever that you can't put on your cloths... Yeah some life right everybody wants to smoke drugs. Keep it illegal keeps peoples house clean.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Drugs should be Illegal, I don't want to end up running around naked in the streets,
eating shit and depressed forever that you can't put on your cloths... Yeah some life right everybody wants to smoke drugs. Keep it illegal keeps peoples house clean.
what is this i don't even

way to group together everyone who smokes weed as "people who waste their lives away" - sounds like you've been a victim of anti-drug propaganda. there are some extremely successful people in the world who enjoy puffing the magic dragon, we're not all losers and dropouts (see: most of the music you have ever listened to)
also, "excuse that gives people even more of an opportunity to escape from life"? you sound like you actively WANT everybody to feel miserable and oppressed
not anti-drug propaganda, life. I don't listen to school assemblies or preachers or whatever, I form my own opinions based on what I see. I am wrong in that I spoke too soon as some people can just use it more recreationally, but from what I've seen, kids who are down will prefer high to relieve stress and slowly waste away. It should not be legal and easily obtainable for them. I shouldn't have classed all into one group, but it does ruin irresponsible people's lives. Alcohol does too, yes, I know, but that doesn't make them both right.

And no I don't want people to be miserable, but in order to really improve you can't just from everything. I understand that people have it much worse than me or anything I've seen, but marijuana will not help them in the long run.

Outside of inhalation, weed is about as addictive and dangerous as anxiety or depression medication
Weed can be pretty dangerous actually!!

When I used to smoke, I started off smoking only relatively low grade stuff, and thus my high was not very extreme. However, I later got a hold of some extremely potent weed, and after smoking it I began to freak out because I realized I couldn't even move hardly, couldn't form sentences, and I felt like for my whole life before smoking this I was living in a dream land and after smoking this intense herbage reality suddenly hit me like a sack of bricks and I was alerted to how intense and fragile my own existence was, only controlled by my heart which was now beating like I had just run a marathon. I began to run home once I was able to move and the only thing I could think of was getting some warm milk, because it reminded me of the ever comforting tits. If I had a samurai sword with me, I probably would have killed myself or my friend.

If marijuana is the gateway drug to cocaine and heroin, milk and water are the gateway beverages to beer and wine.

I'm drug free and I believe cannabis should be legalized. Why? Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and those are legal. Draw the line somewhere, Ex: No smoking marijuana while driving. Obviously there will always be idiots who break the law and do things no matter who else can be harm by their stupid mistakes behind the wheel, that doesn't mean a good education about it can't be taught to people instead of telling lies.

Natural marijuana CAN kill you if you're just smoking it in a room somewhere on a day (Not driving, or doing something else while doing it), they don't tell you though it is damn near impossible. In order for the fumes / smoke being inhaled from natural unenhanced marijuana to kill you it would take up to 3,000 joints worths being inhaled into the body within a short time span. This was tested on a monkey by suffocating it by a(group?) of scientists during Richard Nixon's presidency. It was said it CAN KILL YOU as an excuse to get rid of the hippies protesting Nixon.

With that said, common sense should say too much of any specific item could kill you or damage something. Too much greasy fat foods such as hamburgers can clog you and lead to a heart attack. Too much tobacco cigs can lead to cancer. Anyone who can smoke up to 3,000 joints worth of "natural" marijuana within a short time span deserves to die.

To change the discussion a bit from just smoking marijuana, what is everyone's opinion on cannabis / hemp fuel for vehicles? EX: Biomass Fuel, Biodiesel

a diligent user endorsing sobriety also acting as a reminder as to why substance abuse during pregnancy is bad

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Im pretty sure the illegals keep peoples houses clean

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want my first time getting high to be special, like when i got drunk for the first time.
that was special, "lie to every one that i'm fine, puke in the sink a couple of times and pass out in Atlas's hotel room whiles DM shoulders the guilt/blame of me in such a state" kind of special. good times [dont worry Adam, i am such a pro now, such a pro]

or get high with vader, that would also be acceptable for my first time, it would certainly be special in my book
<3 vader, lets hit up Walmart whiles high[i know you said this was a bad idea but i really want to for some reason]
will it be something like this?
or more like this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)