Mass Effect 3

The other options certainly didn't fare any better for the races, as Shepard controlling the reapers is insinuated to fail and not stop their rampage, while the synthesis option likely results in every living thing being mentally devoured by the strength of the Reaper AI.

Yes, mostly speculation. Though, after seeing how well trying to obtain the power of the Reapers worked for TIM (and really the fact that TIM was for the plan), I don't think that ending was ever considered to work out well.

As for the "combining all organic and synthetic life" option: even if my theory of that outcome was completely baseless, how does that spell anything but the ending of the universe as you know it?

How does one read text walls
just beat the game this morning and was anxious about the ending because everyone was complaining. I was hoping I would feel differently, and for the most part I do. My only real complaint with the endings....wait I should go in spoiler mode.

My only real complain with the endings (While I've only seen one, the one I chose, to destroy the reapers) is that the way the catalyst was telling Shepard, no matter what he would have to sacrifice himself. Just 30 minutes ago Liara was joking with Shepard about having kids. I had to remind that bitch at least 3 times that I loved her and wanted to be with her in the Shadow Broker DLC and at the start of ME3. It just kills me that all these relationships I developed with the characters throughout the games are all pointless (if he dies in every ending).

Speaking of making things pointless, the fact that the endings are forced upon you and being completely unrelated makes me feel like I wasted my time trying to make all the decisions I thought were the best for the ultimate climax at ME3. Everything was just moot and I just want to play through all three game with an idgaf attitude since my endings won't change no matter what I do. I literally sat and nervously pressed my joy stick up and down repeatedly trying to decide whether to sacrifice Kaiden or Ashley on Virmire. I teared up in the scene that followed as Kaiden gave his life to protect the bomb. I teared up when I was chosen to be a spectre. I teared up as Grunt fought off waves of mutated rachni (I thought him dead). I teared up when Legion sacrificed himself to save the Geth and unite them with the Quarians. No other series of games has had me so emotionally invested to the story and characters that I was at tears.

My last complaint is the scene after the credits where suddenly everything that I have done has just turned cliche since it was just a father recounting the tale to his son.

Other than that I thought the endings were still decent, maybe not as epic as the first two. but why did the galaxy get fucked no matter what

At least the first credit song of ME3 was almost as good as the credit song of ME1. The soundtrack for the game was beautiful.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/ said:
Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.
gg

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ahem.

There's not much else to say. The ending is pretty fucking irredeemable and it pains me to even think about it. The one thing that gets me above else is blatant paradox. Mr. God child states ""Without us to stop it, synthetics would destroy all organics."

I see 3 problems with this.
1. Why are you ONLY destroying organic life then? They've blatantly left synthetics alone... wouldn't it better to just destroy them instead or better yet, the God child shouldn't have created the reapers in the first place.
2. The reapers are responsible for creating the Mass Relays, the #1 definitive technological advancement in that universe. God child cultivated organic life to the point where advanced technology exists, AND EVEN THEN none of the synthetics that exist currently harm humans. So they're responsible for advancing technology to the point that synthetic life may end up destroying all life and thus they plan on destroying all organic life in order to prevent them from eventually creating synthetics that would kill them off anyway. FUCKING LOGICAL FALLACY.

I also hate how Sheperd blindly accepts this and how the child calls in to question what the fuck harbinger and his collector were in doing in ME2.. Urghhhhhhh

At least we're getting DLC.

On a different note, War Assets are functionally irrelevant on their impact in the ending of ME3, but if anyone is just starting the series or is doing a new playthrough in hopes the ending add-on makes it not suck or whatever, here's a relatively spoiler-free list of the decisions in ME1, 2, and 3 that actually influence war assets in ME3, which you spend most of the game collecting. There's a few things that give you points I wouldn't actually suggest following (not-recruiting the Virmire Survivor and Chakwas in ME3 and not letting Wrex survive ME1 so you can be a big ass in ME3 for instance) to have fun with the story, but from a pure min-max perspective, this is the best way to go about doing stuff.

Early ground rules: scan every planet in Mass Effect 3. Do every Mass Effect 3 sidequest, using a paragon/renegade option if available and the help of former squadmates when available. Speaking of former squadmates, all Mass Effect 2 squadmates need to be loyal and have survived: all but one(three if you disobey some things on the list) is worth a minimum of 25 points and the absence of most of them costs you even more points in their related ME3 sidequests (including the one I mentioned before, who costs you a minimum of 20 points by being dead). I think technically the only ones this doesn't apply to is ME3 squadmates Garrus and Tali, but you should be a nice person and let them live, anyway. Do all of Diana Allers' interviews in ME3 picking a renegade or paragon option (it doesn't matter which, it just +5s something different). You also need to do a bunch of DLC: Bringing Down the Sky (ME1), Overlord (ME2), Arrival (ME2). Zaeed and Kasumi's DLCs (ME2). Strangely, not doing Lair of the Shadow Broker doesn't seem to hurt your assets even though it causes an NPC to die, but it's the best DLC in the series so I'd suggest it, anyway.

Assets listed in rough chronological order in the following format: Name (Effective War Assets after removing opportunity costs) (Games you have to do shit in)

Save Racchni Queen (+75) (1, 3)
Complete Feros: Data Recovery, UNC: Asari Writings, and buy the Elkoss Combine Armory license (+4) (1)
Don't punch Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani no matter how much you want to, paragon interrupt her in ME3 (+10) (1, 2, 3)
Take Paragon route with colonists, Shiala on Zhu's Hope, possibly do their sidequest in ME2 (+30) (1, 2?)
Wrex dies in ME1, Mordin survives ME2 and sabotages Priority: Tuchanka (+170) (1, 2, 3)
Kirrahe survives Virmire (+20) (1)
Let Balak go During Bringing Down the Sky and do his sidequest in ME3 (+15) (1, 3)
Conrad Verner's Sidequests Complete in ME1 and 2, Citadel: Rita's Sister Complete in ME1 (+5) (1, 2)
Paragon choice with Council at the end of ME1 (+25) (1)

Invite Kelly to dinner before you romance someone in ME2, Kelly survives ME2, is convinced to change her identity in ME3 prior to Priority: The Citadel II, isn't yelled at in ME3 (+10) (2, 3)
Save Data in Mordin's Loyalty Mission (+50) (2)
Samara's Loyalty Mission: Paragon choice (+25) (2)
Legion's loyalty mission surprisingly doesn't matter as long as you achieve peace in Priority Rannoch
Renegade option after Suicide Mission (+10) (2)
Project Overlord: Paragon Ending (+5) (2)
Have "lots of mineral resources leftover from ME2" (+95) (2)

Leave Chakwas on Citadel to do research (+10) (3)
Grissom Students: Renegade choice for Aggressive Role (+25) (3)
Make Liara talk to Matriarch Aethyta before Priority: The Citadel II (+25) (3)
Progress Cortez through his subplot (+20) (3)
Virmire Survivor makes it through the Citadel II but isn't accepted as a squadmate afterward, rejoins Alliance (+25) (3)
Rescue titular character of Rannoch: Admiral Koris (+25) (3)
Achieve peace during Priority: Rannoch (at least +400) (3)
Warn Miranda about Kai Leng during conversations on Citadel before Priority: Horizon (+25) (3)

During ME3, NPCs are frequently seen arguing. Helping the right character in the argument has a swing of about 5 to 12 resources on average. Think I'm missing a few of these atm:

Support:
Dock Officer
Reluctant Civilian
Worried Merchant
Apollo's Cafe Shop Owner
Admiral Gerrel
Admiral Xen
Asari C-Sec officer in C-Sec HQ

When you have the chance to authorize shit in the Spectre terminal, always do so except Asari Huntress Weapon Permit and Private Talavi's transfer request.

It's kind of depressing how well done this is, every major decision in every game does a nice job of changing your War Asset total, it just doesn't matter enough :/

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When you have thousands of fans calling for a boycott on all of your future products, that is already disastrous. Now this chump worries about offending the 2% of players that are so stupid they'd buy into any change BioWare makes anyway?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

so yeaaaah. time to get our hopes up?
The problem with what Bioware is doing is they're "expanding the ending," rather than completely redoing it. Honestly, I don't even care that no matter what you choose at the end you get the same cut-scene, and that the ending felt rushed or any of that, and while I may care about what happens to the characters, I don't care enough to be satisfied by a few epilogue scenes. I care about the fact that they completely changed the entire basis of the conflict and storyline across the series in the last 5 minutes of the final game. They used the words "delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc," when the problem isn't just a lack of answers, but also the fact that their artistic vision was terrible and terribly executed, and no matter how much effort they put into those last 5 minutes, or how much more they will add with this DLC, it will still be awful.

I'm a little interested in what clarity they could possibly give the ending just by adding a few cutscenes, considering how little exposition the Star Child and most of the circumstances after the slow motion sequence got the first time(and how badly it seemed to contradict most of the themes leading up to that point, particularly Priority: Rannoch's), but I'm pleasantly surprised they're releasing the DLC for free. I'd kind of figured people were being naive when they suggested the idea of BioWare adding free DLC to clear things up considering how easy it would have been for BioWare to pad their pockets with it.

I was angrier after finishing ME3 than I've ever been over a video game, but I appreciate the sign of good faith with adding on to the ending at no additional cost to the consumers, since it can't be easy for them to get everyone back in the office and it would be such an easy sale. I'm slowly being won back over, at least in the sense that I'm sympathetic to what I think was probably just a bad choice about an ending the staff honestly believed was good. Considering how strong the rest of the series was I'm trying to stop myself from getting too paranoid over this: I don't think any of BioWare's reaction to any of this was malicious and I think it's understandable they're pretty defensive about something they put so much effort into. Good intentions doesn't really make me feel much better about the taste the series left in my mouth, but it's hard to swear off a company over that.

I saw this linked on another forum, http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4673/21951266.jpg, which I find pretty fascinating. I feel like Jessica's response to the indoctrination tweet reads like she wants to deny it, because she knows it isn't what was intended, but won't because she enjoyed the community speculation. I hope my interpretation of that is wrong because it would be a pity: I had at least some peace of mind from that theory at least mostly making sense, for a while. Here's hoping the DLC will explain things better than it did. Some confirmation about parts of the ending there, too.

The Extended Cut was released today. It's pretty hefty at 1.85GB. Official description reads:

An expanded ending for Mass Effect 3. Additional scenes and an extended epilogue reveal the impact of Shepard's choices on the future of the galaxy.
To answer a few questions you may or may not have about it (in hide tags since it contains main story spoilers):

As the description indicated, there is no additional gameplay, only new dialogue and scenes. All of this takes place at the point where you run to the Conduit.

Even though the content doesn't start until that point, it is recommended that you load a save before Cerberus HQ (point of no return) for it to properly use the DLC and get a proper read of your EMS. If you don't have a manual save here, beating the game again (either loading up your last autosave or hitting restart mission for Citadel: The Return) will put you back on the Normandy right before Cerberus HQ.

Speaking of EMS, you only need 3100 EMS (so 6200 TMS with 50% readiness) to see all the new scenes. Having a low EMS will still result in different outcomes, but for anybody interested in just seeing all the new scenes, anything higher than 3100 is redundant.

Now if here's my super lengthy breakdown of what I experienced in the EC, heavy spoilers within that I suggest you avoid if you plan to play the EC yourself. If you just plan to youtube it or whatever, feel free to read it since it's basically a text version of what goes on. Below the spoiler is my recap of how I feel about the EC as a whole.

During the run to the Conduit, a new cinematic shows Shepard and co. dodge a few vehicles that are being tossed about by the Reaper lasers. I had Tali (LI) and Garrus with me at the time, and Tali looked seriously injured after the dodging was done (she was covered in blood, unsure if it's insinuated to be hers or not). Shepard called for Joker to bring the Normandy down and he gets Tali and Garrus on board.

With Tali as my LI, she begged me not to leave her behind on the Normandy while I went forward. You're given pretty standard Paragon/Renegade response options after this. I chose the "I love you" option and he tells her to go back to Rannoch and build a home, yada yada yada. Garrus had no interaction here besides helping Tali on board. Not sure how similar this scene is with other squadmates/LIs present, but it was pretty emotional with this circumstance.

Shepard continues his run for the Conduit, where he's (almost?) hit by Harbinger's Beam. After that you wake up from your blackout just like before the EC, and he gets to the Conduit.

After that, it cuts to a scene in space showing the Reapers doing major damage to the fleets. The Normandy is seen navigating the battle to try and escape. It cuts over to the Crucible and a few nearby ships, and then a shot of Hackett accessing the situation. He tells the fleets that somebody got on the Citadel, so they need to protect the Crucible at all costs and buy them time.

Back to the Citadel and Shepard shoots out of the Conduit receiver, hitting the ground rough (as opposed to just waking up in the vanilla ending.. Anderson contacts him on the radio, telling Shepard that he followed up the Conduit after Shepard, but ended up in a different place. The game plays out normally from there, your approach to the control room and conversation with the Illusive Man are unchanged.

You get raised up to meet the Catalyst like normal, and proceed to talk to it. After it explains the "solution" to Shepard, you get a dialogue wheel with three inquires on the left (Catalyst, Reapers, Crucile) and then a Paragon/Renegade response on the right to continue the conversation.

The Catalyst explains that it was created eons ago to stop synthetics from completely destroying organics. It was originally designed to oversee relations between organics and synthetics to maintain peace between them, but conflict always arose and the Reapers were created as a solution.

It then explains that its creators made the first "Reapers" to maintain peace and the Catalyst controlled them. The Catalyst explains that its creators became the first true Reaper (as we know them). The creators did not approve of this actions but the Catalyst believe it was the only solution and went forward with it. It then explains why synthetics always become superior to their creators and always destroy them.

This opened up a new dialogue option asking how the Reapers themselves aren't seen as a conflict. It explains that the Reapers are not interested in war and compares them to fire; fire is not interested in war thus it is not a conflict, only doing what it was created to do. It then reiterates that the Reapers are not destroying life, but preserving it.

When asked about the Crucible, the Catalyst explains that the Crucible is simply a power source on its own, but when combined with the Citadel (and by association the Mass Relays), it can release tremendous amounts of energy throughout the Galaxy; a crude method of accomplishment, but effective nonetheless and can be adapted to multiple purposes. The Catalyst apparently learned about the Crucible several cycles before this one. When asked why the Catalyst didn't stop the Crucible from being passed down, it reveals that it believed it destroyed all knowledge of it but underestimated the resourcefulness of organics.

I chose the Paragon response to move the conversation forward and was given a line I know was present in the vanilla ending. The Renegade response is new, but very similar to the Paragon response. The conversation goes on to the point where the Catalyst explains that his solution will no longer work and they need to find a new one.

It goes on to explain the Destroy option, and that it will destroy ALL synthetic life, even Shepard. Another dialogue wheel pops up allowing me to ask for more details. It explains that the Crucible was damaged to some extent (even with 8000 EMS, so this is definitely unavoidable) so it can't target solely the Reapers. It also explains that the damage can be undone relatively easily by the survivors. There's a cutaway scene of Shepard imagining all Reapers being destroyed.

To continue the conversation I got a Paragon "It will end the war?" and Renegade "Then I won't use the Crucible." options. Since the Paragon sounds like dialogue heard in the vanilla ending, I chose Renegade. The Catalyst says that we are vastly outnumbered, sacrificing many of our resources just to get where we are, so not using the Crucible will cause us to ultimately lose the battle, and the cycle to continue. Shepard snaps back saying he doesn't believe the Catalyst, but it replies saying that Shepard's beliefs are irrelevant.

The Catalyst then goes on to explain the Control option. Standard dialogue until another wheel, where Shepard can say "I don't understand..." when the Catalyst says that Shepard will lose everything he has. Another cutaway to an imaginative scene where the Reapers are leaving Earth, as the Catalyst explains that Shepard will no longer be organic in choosing this method. It states that while Shepard will lose connection to mankind, he will still remain aware of their existence (indicating that Shepard will become the new Catalyst).

Paragon/Renegade continue options are similar to above, either saying you think you understand or that you're not going to lose anything. I went Renegade and Shepard stated my thoughts exactly: "I didn't fight this war so I could give up everything I have." The Catalyst retorts that it is not looking forward to being replaced by Shepard, but it would be forced to accept it.

It moves on to Synthesis afterwords. Dialogue wheel allows you to ask how that works. It explains that Shepards organic energy will be broken down and dispersed through the Crucible; cutaway to another what-if scene showing the energy washing over everyone as they experience a change. It explains that this option will alter the matrix of all life in the galaxy. Organics seek perfection through technology, while Synthetics seek perfection through understanding. Synthesis will perfect organics by integrating them with technology, while synthetics will finally fully understand organics because of their change.

The Catalyst goes on to say this the ideal solution, and now that it knows this is possible, it is inevitable that Synthesis will happen. It reveals that it has tried a similar solution in the past, but it has always failed because organics were not ready. Synthesis can not be forced on anything, but this cycle is ready (both due to the Crucible being successfully attached and Shepard being present with the Catalyst).

Paragon/Renegade options are "That's a big change" and "I won't make that decision" respectively. Once again going with the Renegade choice, Shepard says he won't force such a huge change on everyone in the Galaxy. The Catalyst asks why, stating that synthetics are already a vital part of civilization and asking if he would throw that away.

The Catalyst states that Shepard must choose now, prompting another dialogue wheel with the options "Then let's end it" and "I reject these choices." I fully believed that I would be forced to pick anyways, so I chose the rejection dialogue. Shepard says he's going to end the war on his terms, it retorting that Shepard will die while failing to save anything. Another dialogue choice, both of these similar to the last where you can cooperate or defy. Again going Renegade to defy the Catalyst, Shepard makes a powerful statement that he's fighting for everyone's freedom, and if he dies fighting then he'll at least die free, not giving in to the Catalyst's options.

The Catalyst looks like its in awe at Shepard's determination, but quickly turns around and said "So be it" in a very deep and menacing voice, scared the shit out of me and gave me goosebumps. It disappears and says the cycle continues in its normal voice. Shepard is left standing there as an explosion occurs behind him, where he sees Reapers decimating the remaining fleets, as the Synthesis beam disappears and the screen fades away.

Screen cuts to an unknown planet, lush with plant life and a device of some sort beeping. Then Liara's voice is broadcast to say.

If you're hearing this...then there is still hope. Hope that you can avoid the same mistakes we made. We fought the Reapers, but we failed to stop them. We did everything we could. We built the Crucible, but it didn't work. We fought as a united galaxy, but it wasn't enough. I only hope that the information in this capsule is enough to help you before it's too late. My name is Dr. Liara T'Soni. Herein lies the recounting of our war with the Reapers.
By the end of the scene, you see a VI of Liara in some underground bunker. The VI disappears, and the credits roll. After the credits we go to what appears to be the same snowy scene from the vanilla ending where the man is talking about "The Shepard." There's a child there along with a taller figure that looks like an Asari from this distance. The child asks if that really happened, and the taller (female) individual says "We'll never know exactly what it was like, but yes, the archives tell the true story of those who came before us. They fought a terrible war, so we wouldn't have to." There's a few more lines of dialogue, indicating that there is peace and that the information passed down to them is why they succeeded. These stories were all about the Shepard...

After this is an extended thank you message from Bioware to the fans.

=========================================================
Ok so I defied the Catalyst just to see what would happen, I figured I would be forced to decide anyways but was surprised when this happened (super surprised by the Catalyst's angry voice). It's a decent ending I suppose, it shows that the Reapers are still eventually defeated, just not by your cycle (though the stargazer scene confuses that a bit). Still though, that's not the real choice I wanted, so I reloaded and got back to the choices.

In the Vanilla game I chose Destroy for one reason: I wanted to live. Call me petty but I was not happy to learn I was going to die in all three endings, but then when I learned Shepard lives with enough EMS that became my set ending. I didn't like the idea of destroying the Geth, but I reasoned that the Catalyst was wrong about it destroying me so maybe it was wrong about destroying the Geth, and I found peace with that. So going into this I'm really hoping the Geth aren't destroyed, otherwise I'll be crushed.

So I go with Destroy, go through the usual cinematic of shooting the power node and flashing images of companions (surprisingly I had different companions pop up, got Anderson/EDI/Tali, EDI and Tali being the squadmates I used the most). After this we get an external shot of the Crucible's energy going off, with Hackett telling the fleets to disengage and head for the rendezvous. We see Joker frantically piloting the Normandy with Liara and Traynor standing behind him; Liara then puts her hand on his shoulder and tells him that they need to go. Joker reluctantly leaves the fight and flies away from the Citadel. I'm sitting here hoping he's worried about me, and not upset about a destroyed EDI.

The Reapers start disappearing, literally; they don't blow up but vanish in a popping bubble kind of animation. Cut to Earth where there's still fighting going on, but the Reapers are soon disabled by the red wave of the Crucible (these Reapers don't vanish, they simply collapse). Another battle elsewhere shows two soldiers fighting a wave of husks as they get obliterated by the red wave of energy.

Now a solid red beam leaves the citadel and hits the Mass Relay, which starts the colored explosions all over the Galaxy as they themselves are destroyed and the wave washes over other planets (Thessia and Tuchanka are shown). Then we see inside the Normandy where the crew is frantically moving about, with Jeff trying to outrun the explosion of the Mass Relay he was near.

Then we see the Normandy wrecked on some unknown planet like at the end of the vanilla ending. Hull opens up and Joker, Tali, and Javik step out and look over the landscape. Screen cuts away after that.

Now we're in space, showing a fleet of ships while Hackett gives a monologue about the end of the war. Against all odds they survived, etc etc. He says the Relays were severely damaged, maybe hinting that they could be repaired? As his dialogue continues there are snapshots of various locations and various squadmates.

For me it was: Soldiers on Earth, Jacob with Cerberus defectors, Samara with her daughter on Thessia, Kasumi looking at her greybox, Zaeed lounging in the sunset, Wrex/Grunt on Tuchanka, several Krogan families, Krogan architects, Quarians in some city, Citadel destroyed, London HQ, rebuilt Citadel?, Legion/Thane/Mordin montage, Shepard's helmet, Anderson's name on the memorial wall in the Normandy, the entire crew looking at the memorial as Tali puts Shepard's plate on the wall, Normandy taking off from the planet it was stuck on, and lastly Shepard as he takes a breath like at the end of the vanilla ending.

Credits roll after this, then we have the stargazer scene as usual, but this time with the same man and child as in the vanilla ending. He has some extended dialogue of his own, but nothing of significance.

I can only guess the Geth were actually destroyed by my choice, since they didn't get a slide in the end, but I can live with that. I'm not going to cover Control and Synthesis here, either play it yourself or youtube it!

The Extended Cut has delivered in my opinion, offering a lot of clarification about all the unknowns in the Vanilla ending and making it feel legitimate. I am happy with the explanation and ideas behind the Crucible and Catalyst. Post-game sequences were well done and it was nice to see all of the characters we all know and love get a final screening. Ultimately the ending wasn't changed which means Bioware stuck with their resolve and I can admire that.

For me, the game feels complete now. That's just my opinion, a lot of people disagree. It's a shame we had to wait nearly 4 months to get a real ending though.

TheValkyries

There are videos on youtube of the extended endings, and the new additional ending.

Despite their clarification efforts, the ending is still terrible, and still does not logically conclude the narrative they had assembled.

The additional closure and clarity scenes consist of a single scene that says everyone used the Mass Relays to get away/back to their home worlds just before they were all destroyed, a couple of scenes concerning the Normandy and her crew after crash landing, along with an extra slideshow for all three endings with the only difference being the Narrator of the epilogue. First, I instantly have a problem with the fact that suddenly everyone engaging the Reapers at Earth are suddenly aware that the Mass Relays were going to be destroyed, when there is literally no way they could know this. The fleet appears to just suddenly decide to use the Relays and go home, even stranding some of their ground units on Earth itself, without any real explanation as to why. Second, I still have to point out that it is never explained how squad mates you had with you on Earth made it back to the Normandy in time to get stranded on the planet. Even with the few extra scenes they have they couldn't fix this one simple problem. The scenes go on to show you a fixed Normandy taking off from the planet they crash landed on. Artistically and logically speaking, why have them land on this planet then? What purpose was served? You arbitrarily decided to have them crash and then leave, with nothing significant having happened? Thirdly, they make it plain how much effort they put into the epilogue itself when all they give you is a narrated slideshow. And none of it is really new information that gives any clarification. It simply shows faces of people, and gives a nice speech saying "And they lived happily ever after... except Shepard*." (*Unless you picked Destroy).

There is however, a new ending, which for the most part logically concludes the ghost child's choices and gives at least a satisfying ending. This new ending is a refusal of the choices laid down upon you by the ghost child. Refusing the three choices does not resolve the conflict with the reapers, so the battle rages on, ultimately resulting in the complete destruction of all advanced organic life. In the Mass Effect 3 world where the motif of coexistence and peace is ever present, refusing the ghost child's insistence that such things are unattainable makes sense, and while unhappy, the result leaves one satisfied.

However, while being the most logical ending of the ghost child dilemma doesn't mean much, considering how illogical the very premise of the ghost child is. This new ending still is just an addendum to an overall ending that completely changed the entire Mass Effect trilogy's narrative which is the core failing of the Mass Effect 3 ending. For three games, all we knew was that the Reapers are trying to kill us, and we want to stop that from happening. That was our driving conflict that the plot was towed by. However, in the last five minutes of the trilogy, even with the added scenes and extra ending, we still come face to face with the ghost child, who then insists that the true conflict is not as we have known it for the past three games, and is instead this fabricated idea of the impossibility of Organic and Synthetic coexistence. Even with the option to refuse the premise, the fact that it is presented compromises and devalues everything the plot had built upon previously.

Honestly, I can't say I wasn't expecting exactly this result. I also can't say I wasn't expecting that people will find these clarifications satisfying, and that the original outrage will ultimately die out with the realization that what was wrong was not fixed, and that no amount of further protest will make BioWare change. Which is unfortunate, because as it stands, a truly great Video Game series will forever remain tarnished by this utter disaster of an ending.

First, I instantly have a problem with the fact that suddenly everyone engaging the Reapers at Earth are suddenly aware that the Mass Relays were going to be destroyed, when there is literally no way they could know this. The fleet appears to just suddenly decide to use the Relays and go home, even stranding some of their ground units on Earth itself, without any real explanation as to why.
I don't think that's what happened. I chose the Destroy ending and Hackett stated that the Relays were simply damaged (unsure if this is stated in other endings), hinting that they could be repaired. The ending slideshow isn't stated or shown to have happened immediately after the Crucible blast, the slideshow screens could have been months or longer after the battle was over. Shoot they showed Krogan architects already at work on buildings, that couldn't happen mere hours after the fight; the Normandy's crash and repair is also indicative of some time passing.

Now the big thing that caught my eye in your post:

Second, I still have to point out that it is never explained how squad mates you had with you on Earth made it back to the Normandy in time to get stranded on the planet.
...yes they did, there was a whole scene dedicated to this. This is the problem with the youtube videos I've seen, they start recording after Shepard is with the Catalyst. The scene that showed your squadmates returning to the Normandy was during the approach to the Conduit long before that.

I will agree that there was no real point in having them crash land in the first place though, since they repaired and took off, unless that was used solely to demonstrate a time lapse, which I also mentioned above.

For three games, all we knew was that the Reapers are trying to kill us, and we want to stop that from happening. That was our driving conflict that the plot was towed by. However, in the last five minutes of the trilogy, even with the added scenes and extra ending, we still come face to face with the ghost child, who then insists that the true conflict is not as we have known it for the past three games, and is instead this fabricated idea of the impossibility of Organic and Synthetic coexistence.
This I do not understand one bit. In those last 5 minutes, we were still trying to stop the Reapers, that never changed. All the Catalyst was doing was answering questions we've had since the first game, what are the Reapers and why are they causing cycles of destruction. While the Catalyst may have put emphasis on organic/synthetic conflict, that alone didn't uproot our purpose. That is evidenced especially by Shepard's continued questioning insistence about stopping the Reapers in the vanilla/paragon dialogue.

TheValkyries

I don't think that's what happened. I chose the Destroy ending and Hackett stated that the Relays were simply damaged (unsure if this is stated in other endings), hinting that they could be repaired.
The relays were built by the reapers. No one in the Mass Effect canon knows how the Relays worked, except for the Protheans. And the only Prothean alive isn't a scientist.

The ending slideshow isn't stated or shown to have happened immediately after the Crucible blast, the slideshow screens could have been months or longer after the battle was over. Shoot they showed Krogan architects already at work on buildings, that couldn't happen mere hours after the fight; the Normandy's crash and repair is also indicative of some time passing.
What does that contribute to the ending though? Yeah all this happened and we did some stuff afterward to recover and yeah. Happily ever after. Sure it's slight closure as to what happened, but it doesn't fix the ending.

Now the big thing that caught my eye in your post:

...yes they did, there was a whole scene dedicated to this. This is the problem with the youtube videos I've seen, they start recording after Shepard is with the Catalyst. The scene that showed your squadmates returning to the Normandy was during the approach to the Conduit long before that.
Then I guess they did explain that plot hole. No big deal, it was a minor gripe.

I will agree that there was no real point in having them crash land in the first place though, since they repaired and took off, unless that was used solely to demonstrate a time lapse, which I also mentioned above.
Again so what? Why show a time lapse? Why in that way? Why have it crash then have it take off, as if time had elapsed, when they don't show anything significant after the time lapse anyway?

This I do not understand one bit. In those last 5 minutes, we were still trying to stop the Reapers, that never changed. All the Catalyst was doing was answering questions we've had since the first game, what are the Reapers and why are they causing cycles of destruction. While the Catalyst may have put emphasis on organic/synthetic conflict, that alone didn't uproot our purpose. That is evidenced especially by Shepard's continued questioning insistence about stopping the Reapers in the vanilla/paragon dialogue.[/hide]
Yes, people asked why the Reapers wanted to destroy everything, but having them be mysterious omens of death with no apparent reason to kill made them the great villians that they were. But ghost child came along and said, "No, we don't want to actually kill you. You want to collect you and preserve you in a higher form of being to protect you from the synthetics you organics create". He goes on to give you three choices that resolve this new Synthetic v. Organic conflict. By solving this conflict, it renders the entire point of the Reapers moot, so yes, you "Stop the Reapers from killing us". But it completely undermines not only the original conflict, but also the predominant motif of peaceful coexistence the Mass Effect universe had painted.

EDIT: My writing ability has utterly collapsed in the past few hours. Hopefully this made sense.

However unfortunately shallow the ending changes may be, I suppose the fanbase couldn't have expected much more. At this point, I am totally apathetic to the issue at this point. I'm sure most Star Wars die-hards were just as infuriated by the prequel movies as many Mass Effect fans are by the ending (even the "fixed" one), but really, it's just time for everyone to move on.

I don't really wanna point for point over this one but I thought this was about as good as it could be expected to be. I think expecting them to completely re-do the ending was foolish at best, and what they did was a pretty good version of what their only move was: to stick by their endings in spite of the fact they probably realize they dropped the ball no matter what they're saying in interviews and patch plotholes/make the ending slightly more palatable for fans. I still think it's a weak ending that does a poor job of resolving the narrative but at least now the reasons why things that are happening are happening is explained. It is a good version of what it is now, it's still just not a very fundamentally good line of thought. I'm kind of at peace with it now, though, it was enough.

I know most people disagree with me above and on what I'm about to say, but the new ending is pretty fanastic IMO. Most people are very upset about how they're getting "trolled" or whatever because BioWare let them do what they wanted to do and it didn't work, but I think that's good this time. I don't think people are entitled to have what they feeling doing work, just to pick the option that is what they feel like doing. It's no different than real life that way, sometimes when you reject options on the table and find your own solution to a problem it works out better and sometimes it works out worse. Sometimes the best call isn't doing things the way you want to do them but instead doing something you don't want to do that is wiser. In this case against an enemy that is still more powerful than the forces s/he assembled, Shepard is better off giving in and finding a solution that isn't head on conflict. I don't think that's a bad narrative and I actually really liked the way they did that ending, it's my favorite way for the trilogy to end. Preferably triggered by Shepard rejecting it in dialogue than just shooting the kid, which isn't nearly as well written.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Keeping the old ending wasn't the only thing they could do. It was the thing to do if they were indignant towards their fan base and surrounded by sycophants, certainly.

Downloading now.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
And now I've played the new ending. Turns out I was wrong when I said that Mass Effect 3 was every bad ending ever made. It wasn't a FUCKING SLIDESHOW.

Is it better? Well that's a loaded question. Mass Effect 3 had the worst ending in thousands of years of human cultural history. The extended cut is now... a little worse than Deus Ex; Human Revolution. Way to raise the bar Bioware.

It still comes down to "Yo dawg I heard synethetics were killing organics so we made synthetics to kill organics." It still comes down to choices you made throughout the games not having a meaningful impact. It still comes down to three choices; Red Green or Blue. Now it's just followed by a cheap slideshow.

Here's the silver lining; turns out if fans still want a new ending, they might as well just fucking draw one. Now I'm not much of an artist so it'd be cool to see what the folks down in Smeargle's could do with this concept, but here's what I was able to whip up for my own personal Extended Edition.

Just play through the game as usual, choose the Destroy option and pretend the Indoctrination ending is correct: Shepard wakes up, owns some noobs and everyone lives happily ever after...

Surely there's some fan fiction somewhere for this?

Don't think there's much else BioWare could do without setting a pretty grim precedent tbh, they could have changed the entire ending around sure but as a company it's not the most viable of options. At least the dlc was free.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
"A grim precedent" is absolutely bullshit. Mass Effect 3's ending was the worst insult to artistic thought ever produced, if they changed it completely it wouldn't be a slippery slope because nothing will ever be that bad again.

Meh, though I love the series I can't be bothered to finish single player. I've been loving multiplayer though. Except for the fact that I keep on getting bullshit Gold cards. I can't upgrade my Claymore or Carnifex, but I certainly have no problem upgrading the Kishook, Graal, and the Striker.

On the plus side, I have most of the good characters. I just need the QME and the Phoenix Vanguard to round out all of the good characters.

"A grim precedent" is absolutely bullshit. Mass Effect 3's ending was the worst insult to artistic thought ever produced, if they changed it completely it wouldn't be a slippery slope because nothing will ever be that bad again.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree, I've never been more disappointed and annoyed with a video game in my life. The hype and excitement that built for this game was ridiculous, and the amount of possibilities that could have occurred for the endings were crazy. Anybody outside of BioWare could have easily made the ending 100x better with minimal thought.

Despite all this it's not as simple as "we don't like the ending; change it" because while video games are interactive and involve the player, it's still a piece of work (or even art). Any other form of media and a petition to change the ending would be laughed off, it's mad that they've even done extra dlc for the ending.

Again, don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I would love for BioWare to turn around and say "Gotcha! Here's the real ending!" and have some mad shit with Shep activating the Crucible which takes him to some Reaper control centre in dark space or something. But the truth is it's never gonna happen, and to ask for it (or expect it as the majority of us seem to) is naive and really quite insulting to the company who put the time into making it.

Look at it like this, just because you die at the end of life doesn't mean your life was shit does it? For everything besides 20 minutes of 3 whole games I've been absolutely in love with Mass Effect, so it could be worse eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)