Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so.

"Specialmons"

The premise is that the Special Stats are once again unified, like in Generation 1, becoming what we know as "Special Stat". This stat essentially dictates how much damage you take from Special Moves and how much you deal via Special Moves.

What would be affected?:

-Essentially, held items, abilities or moves that alter, utilize or are dictated by the Special Attack and/or Special Defense stats will now be dictated off the Special Stat. This means, for example:
Amnesia will affect both defensive and offensive stats.
Psychic may lower Special, which may cripple Special focused Pokemon.
Wise Glasses will raise Special.
Eviolite not only raises Defense, but also Special, meaning it can be used for offensive sets.
One of the screens (Forgot which one) raises Special, and since you can stack em, you could do some interesting offensive sets with it.
And many more.
(This wouldn't apply to Life Orb because it strictly boost your damage output.)

-Every Pokemon's Special Stats will be dealt the following way: The highest special stat will be used for the Special Stat. This is so Pokemon can draw out as much potential as possible. Gen 1 Pokemon will NOT use Gen 1 Special Stats, because genuinely, that might put them at a severe disadvantage with other Pokemon, and it wouldn't give everyone as much of a fair fight. Because of this, Gen 1 mons will use this way of figuring Special Stats.

-This won't affect neither the Physical-Special Split, nor remove Dark, Steel or Fairy types, or any other new features like abilities. This will just unify the Special Stats into "Special". So yes, you can run Aura Sphere reliably, pal.

-This'll probably be a National Dex Meta. So Gen 7 (SuMo/USUM+LGPE)+Gen 8, if i'm correct.

Possible Bans and Possibly Interesting Pokemon:

In here i will probably show some of Pokemon i find interesting with the Special Stat, which may become Metagame threats. Or Pokemon i might ban. Yes, i know it's not really worthy mentioning possible interesting Pokemon alongside the Bans, but i want people to be judges here. And what better than to show what i think may be the group of Pokemon who may benefit, even if a small thing, from this format? Plus, People may want to see these, and it gives a bit of a sneak peek of what to look forward to. Be warned, as the list is quite lengthy, which is why i put it in a google doc (can't fit it here sadly).

List of Pokemon worth mentioning in regards to this format

What is the goal of the meta?

The Meta's goal is to have a look at how Pokemon were to function if the Special Stat was never separated. I think that, with the Pokemon we have, the Special Stat would influenciate so many Pokemon in many different ways.

What else?

Because i mentioned that a couple Mons would be banned, i think having a variant called "Specialmons AG" would be worth having, which is Specialmons but with Anything Goes rules. So anything i mentioned that might be banned? They'd be allowed in said tier of the meta.

I think also a Doubles variant would be interesting, because essentially, a lot of Pokemon change how they work with the Special Stat working the way i mentioned. Which means a change of tactics for VGC/Double style of battles. Pokemon here who benefit from Galarian Weezing being in the field, such as Slaking, Regigigas and Archeops, would appreciate using this new spread of stats in a doubles format for sure.

I don't think there would be much tiering for Specialmons, but i don't mind if someone wants to start a tier system.

While i like CAP Mons, i recognize they wouldn't be legal in this format, unless a CAP variant pops up. I mean, just in case, these gotta have Special applied, to avoid any errors.

Other Questions

One question i think people might ask is "What about moves that raise one special stat and lower the other Special Stat?"

If the move lowers one Special stat by one and raises another Special stat by one, then essentially, they cancel each other out. This might be good, because negative stats might be altogether avoided. Though it doesn't help you more than that.

Another example would be Shell Smash, since it lowers SpD by one and raises SpA by two. Essentially, Special would be lowered first, then the Special Boost applied after, and that would cancel out the negative debuff, at the cost of half of the Special Buff. Basically, Special Lowers by 1, and then raises by 2 stages. This somewhat balances the usage of Shell Smash, since you're not raising much Special, which not only acts as offense, but also defense.

Any other questions, just ask me on Discord or here. Gelius#6764

Anyways, with that done, i leave you all to discuss this format, to see if it's worthy a shot making in Showdown or not, or what else may come from it or not.

Yes, i took two days working on this. I like putting effort in it, smh.

Edit: Okay i got an issue where i accidentally posted multiple thumbnails. My bad, i'll fix it in a bit.

Edit 2: Fixed the issue, it's now clean.

Last edited:
One of the screens (Forgot which one) raises Special, and since you can stack em, you could do some interesting offensive sets with it.
Small note: this part is not actually correct! Light Screen reduces damage from special moves, but perhaps surprisingly, that's actually not the same as raising Special Defense - for example, it also affects Psyshock, Psystrike and Secret Sword, which are special moves that target the physical Defense stat. Even in Generation I, when both the non-split Special stat and the move Light Screen existed, Light Screen was a purely defensive measure.
Also, the Google doc isn't actually publicly visible! Make sure you set it so that anyone with the link can view.

Those two nitpicks aside, this looks interesting! I wouldn't be the one to comment on whether it would be balanced or anything, but I'm curious to see how it pans out and I respect the amount of thought you've put into it! C:

EDIT: OH WHOA YOU WEREN'T KIDDING ABOUT SPENDING TIME ON THE SPREADSHEET
so much respect right now

Last edited:
Small note: this part is not actually correct! Light Screen reduces damage from special moves, but perhaps surprisingly, that's actually not the same as raising Special Defense - for example, it also affects Psyshock, Psystrike and Secret Sword, which are special moves that target the physical Defense stat. Even in Generation I, when both the non-split Special stat and the move Light Screen existed, Light Screen was a purely defensive measure.
Also, the Google doc isn't actually publicly visible! Make sure you set it so that anyone with the link can view.

Those two nitpicks aside, this looks interesting! I wouldn't be the one to comment on whether it would be balanced or anything, but I'm curious to see how it pans out and I respect the amount of thought you've put into it! C:
I actually was about to fix the screens thing, i was thinking in Gen 1 screens for a hot second there.
I also fixed the Google Docs thing. Trust me, you might want to take a hot second seeing it.

And yes, i think it would be interesting, and honestly, surprised it's not an "other metagame" yet, because the Special Stat is legit a stat that existed in Gen 1 and the way i mentioned how the stat worked is exactly how it worked. Some Pokemon may be a bit too much (looking at you, Regice and Shuckle), due to the way i decided to "set" what decides the Special Stat, but i think it would be interesting to see how it evolves.

Name: ManaMons

Metagame premise:
PP use is unlimited. However, using a move results in taking an HP penalty. The calculation is: Penalty = Max HP / original max PP. So a move with 64 max PP will take a penalty of 1/64th of max HP, while a move with 8 max PP will take a penalty of 1/8th max HP. Like all rounding in Pokemon, it is rounded down.
How about an actual mana pool? Recharge moves always take 100% of the pool to execute. Otherwise, 8PP moves only require 50% of the pool, and moves with higher max PP use less pool. When you run out of pool, you must recharge, and then you get your pool back. You also get your pool back if you're fully paralysed etc. I think it should even be possible to have the server send the move's apparent PP as being the number of times it can execute before you run out of pool.

How about an actual mana pool? Recharge moves always take 100% of the pool to execute. Otherwise, 8PP moves only require 50% of the pool, and moves with higher max PP use less pool. When you run out of pool, you must recharge, and then you get your pool back. You also get your pool back if you're fully paralysed etc. I think it should even be possible to have the server send the move's apparent PP as being the number of times it can execute before you run out of pool.
The stuff about gaining or losing the whole pool under arbitrary conditions sounds... ehhh, but I like the underlying idea of every move drawing PP/mana from the same source.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Here's another
Shared Type
Camomons Monotype with Extra Steps
Premise: Pokémon receive a type of the first Pokémon sent out, depending on whether it is shiny or not. This is kind of like Monotype, except you are not limited to choosing Pokémon of a single type, as Pokémon will just change typing. Also, you are not limited to a single type on one team, as you can lead off with any Pokémon on your team, giving you 6 options for typing at most.

Potential Questions:
How can I control which type will be given/received?
Lead
-Non-shiny: Primary type will be given
-Shiny: Secondary type (if it has one) will be given
The Rest of the Team
-Non-shiny: Secondary typing is replaced (or type is added if it only has one type)
-Shiny: Primary typing is replaced

This way, a Pokémon can give a type and keep that same type if it is not the lead.

Let's say these were four Pokemon on one team
View attachment 258368View attachment 258369View attachment 258370View attachment 258371

LeadTeam Member #1Team Member #2Team Member #3
clefable.png
Fairy
cinderace.png
Fairy
kyurem.png
Dragon
Fairy
mandibuzz.png
Fairy
Flying
cinderace.png
Fire
clefable.png
Fairy
Fire
kyurem.png
Dragon
Fire
mandibuzz.png
Fire
Flying
kyurem.png
Dragon
Ice
clefable.png
Fairy
Dragon
cinderace.png
Dragon
mandibuzz.png
Dragon
Flying
mandibuzz.png
Dark
Flying
clefable.png
Fairy
Flying
cinderace.png
Flying
kyurem.png
Dragon
Flying

Do I have to keep track of the opponent's Pokémon's type myself?
No, the type will be displayed below the name just like in Camomons.

Potetntial Rules:
Base: Gen 8 OU
Bans: Shedinja
Shedinja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Protect / Swords Dance
With a Dark-, Normal-, or Fairy-Type lead, Wonder Guard becomes even more potent as it gives Shedinja less weaknesses, letting Shedinja wall unprepared sets. Shedinja greatly restricts teambuilding, so it will be banned (it's banned in Camomons anyways).
Unbans: Nothing yet

Potential Strategies:
General Strategy

Just like in Monotype, you must plan for unfavorable matchups. For example, if you have an Electric-type team, you must have a Pokémon that resists or beats Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types. However, unlike in normal Monotype, you are not always doomed at team preview with an unfavorable matchup, as you can change your lead to change the type of your team. For an Electric team, an alternate Water- or Ice-type lead would help.
Stall and balance is generally stronger in this meta, as walls like Ferrothorn and Toxapex don't need to worry about adjusting to STAB as offensive Pokemon might.

:gyarados: :hydreigon: :ferrothorn:
Fixing Typings
Just like in Camomons, strong Pokémon with unfortunate typing can be fixed. Gyarados can replace its Flying-typing with Ground or Steel, Hydreigon can replace its Dark-typing with Steel or Fire (Levitate is now useful). Ferrothorn can also replace its Grass-typing with Ghost or Flying.

:clefable: :corsola-galar: :araquanid:
Defensive Typings
Bulky Pokémon can now be even bulkier. Clefable can be given a Steel- or Ghost-typing, Corsola a Normal- or Dark-typing, or Araquanid a Steel-typing in place of either its Water- or Bug- typing.

:toxtricity: :centiskorch: :crawdaunt:
Strong STAB
Pokémon with high base-power moves can change their type to get a STAB boost for it. Normal-type Toxtricity can take advantage of Punk Rock-boosted Boomburst, Grass-type Centiskorch can use Power Whip, and Fighting-type Crawdaunt can boost Close Combat with Adaptability.

Questions for the Community:
Should the lead or the first Pokémon on the team determine the type? I feel like the former opens up more team options but is more complicated. The latter is just Monotype Camomons.
Bumping cuz I still want feedback on this idea

Also here's this

:zeraora: Philosopher Stones :golurk:
FMA Spoiler --> In Fullmetal Alchemist, philosopher stones are power-enhancing stones made of human souls. In this metagame, you can now do the same (in a more humane way, I guess)!
Metagame Premise:
Pokemon can hold first-stage Pokemon as Mega Stones, inheriting half its base stats (rounded down, excluding HP), ability and/or primary typing.

Stones are formatted like this:

[Pokemon][Ability # (as listed; primary abilites are 01 and 02, hidden ability is 03]

So Abra01 would give +10 Atk, +7 Atk, +52 SpAtk, +22 SpDef, and +45 Spe, and Synchronize, while Abra02 gives Inner Focus, and Abra03 gives Magic Guard.

Note: The item has to be put in using the import function.

Pokemon with 295 BST or lower will give their primary type as the holder's secondary type (ex. Aegislash holding Applin01 will become Steel-Grass).

Potential Banlist:
Base:
[Pokemon] Gen 8 Mix and Mega (in terms of Pokemon, all normal Mega Stones are banned)
[Stones] Gen 8 LC
Bans: [Pokemon] None yet
[Stones] Bunnelby, Azurill, Araquanid, Carvanha, Venipede
Unbans: [Pokemon] None yet
[Stones] LC Uber, Pawniard, Mareanie, Ferroseed, Corsola-Galar

Potential Questions:

How do I know which stone my opponent's Pokemon are holding?
Just like in Mix and Mega, the full name of the stone (Pokemon name and ability number) will appear once activated

Bumping cuz I still want feedback on this idea

Also here's this

:zeraora: Philosopher Stones :golurk:
FMA Spoiler --> In Fullmetal Alchemist, philosopher stones are power-enhancing stones made of human souls. In this metagame, you can now do the same (in a more humane way, I guess)!
Metagame Premise:
Pokemon can hold first-stage Pokemon as Mega Stones, inheriting half its base stats (rounded down, excluding HP), ability and/or primary typing.

Stones are formatted like this:

[Pokemon][Ability # (as listed; primary abilites are 01 and 02, hidden ability is 03]

So Abra01 would give +10 Atk, +7 Atk, +52 SpAtk, +22 SpDef, and +45 Spe, and Synchronize, while Abra02 gives Inner Focus, and Abra03 gives Magic Guard.

Note: The item has to be put in using the import function.

Pokemon with 295 BST or lower will give their primary type as the holder's secondary type (ex. Aegislash holding Applin01 will become Steel-Grass).

Potential Banlist:
Base:
[Pokemon] Gen 8 Mix and Mega (in terms of Pokemon, all normal Mega Stones are banned)
[Stones] Gen 8 LC
Bans: [Pokemon] None yet
[Stones] Bunnelby, Azurill, Araquanid, Carvanha, Venipede
Unbans: [Pokemon] None yet
[Stones] LC Uber, Pawniard, Mareanie, Ferroseed, Corsola-Galar

Potential Questions:
How do I know which stone my opponent's Pokemon are holding?
Just like in Mix and Mega, the full name of the stone (Pokemon name and ability number) will appear once activated
Shared Type sounds pretty cool. Philosopher Stones sounds a bit like Mix & Mega with a ton more options, which probably hurts its chances of getting approved (and also that NFE meta where it can evolve into anything, but I don't remember its name), but I like a lot because of how many cool combos there could be. I'd ditch the 295 type thing, though. It's pretty arbitrary and muddies the mechanics. Either have it always inherit the type, or don't mess with types at all.

Y'all know I'm gonna give Volcarona an Abra soul. Magic Guard and big boosts to power and speed babyyyyy.

Hello, I offer this meta.

- Mechanics : We can have a team with 12 pokemon, but a pokemon can't have status moves .

- Bans : OU banlist

The metagame's name is twelveMONS

What do you think this meta. I'm new and I'm french, do nice with me, bye.

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Shared Type sounds pretty cool. Philosopher Stones sounds a bit like Mix & Mega with a ton more options, which probably hurts its chances of getting approved (and also that NFE meta where it can evolve into anything, but I don't remember its name), but I like a lot because of how many cool combos there could be. I'd ditch the 295 type thing, though. It's pretty arbitrary and muddies the mechanics. Either have it always inherit the type, or don't mess with types at all.

Y'all know I'm gonna give Volcarona an Abra soul. Magic Guard and big boosts to power and speed babyyyyy.
I didnt choose 295 at random. Its the median BST of all the LC Pokemon, and this rule gives an incentive to use lower BST stones.

I didnt choose 295 at random. Its the median BST of all the LC Pokemon, and this rule gives an incentive to use lower BST stones.
Even if the number isn't random, the decision to inherit type based on base stat total is arbitrary in and of itself. Not only is it not necessarily a buff to weaker souls (more of a side-grade than anything) but there are enough good souls that you don't need to try to add more.

Oh also, I realized you should probably adjust the bans and unbans. LC exists outside of usage tiers, meaning something can be in both LC and a usage tier at the same time. Not only is your current banlist redundant with Galarian Corsola (already accounted for with the LC-Uber unban) as well as Pawniard, Mareanie, and Ferroseed (never banned from LC in the first place), but it also allows the use of Sneasel (maybe a problem) and Scyther (definitely a problem). EDIT: Also Tangela.

Here's the page on SwSh Little Cup on the Smogon Dex. There you will find a list of all the Pokemon who are considered LC, as well as all the Pokemon who are considered LC-Uber.

Also, here's the SwSh Little Cup viability ranking. It's a bit out of date (Chlorophyll was banned earlier this month and the VR hasn't been updated since shortly before the ban) and it's obviously not a great predictor of which mons will make good stones, but it'll give a rough sense of how many Little Cup mons are generally seen as "good", so that your concern of needing to buff weaker stones might be alleviated.

What if you scaled the stats to have a change of 100 each time? That way, even if some spreads are similar, the thing separating them would be the types and abilities they inherit. You could do this for all Pokémon

Link Cable

Metagame Premise: An OU metagame where both teams would trade 3 Pokémon of their choice at team preview. When trading, you pick 3 Pokémon from your opponent while they do the same to you. The players would have access to the opponent's sets.

Potential Bans and Threats:
- Standard OU bans and clauses. By technicality, the Species Clause may be broken if you have a Clefable on your team and you take the opponent's Clefable without them taking yours. However, you could only have a max of two of the same species.
- Same threats as the current OU metagame since no other mechanics are changed.

- Thoughts on the trading process? I have other proposals on how trading could be done, so let me know which allows for the most skill while also keeping a nice trading interaction. You can also give suggestions on how trading should be done.

Other trading proposals:
1. Players choosing between 1-3 Pokémon to trade instead of only 3, depending on both their preferences.
2. My current proposal means both players have control over what they take, not what they give. Should both players have a say in what they both give and take? It adds more skill since you are more involved in what team you would have. Problem with this is that it may cause ragequits in the trading process if one person does not like to negotiate.
3. Should you be allowed to view the sets of your opponents? It allows for more mindgames if you don't know their sets. You may get tricked into taking a surprise physical Cute Charm Clefable set, but at the same time if you don't need a Clefable, your opponent would be stuck with it.

Link Cable

Metagame Premise: An OU metagame where both teams would trade 3 Pokémon of their choice at team preview. When trading, you pick 3 Pokémon from your opponent while they do the same to you. The players would have access to the opponent's sets.

Potential Bans and Threats:
- Standard OU bans and clauses. By technicality, the Species Clause may be broken if you have a Clefable on your team and you take the opponent's Clefable without them taking yours. However, you could only have a max of two of the same species.
- Same threats as the current OU metagame since no other mechanics are changed.

- Thoughts on the trading process? I have other proposals on how trading could be done, so let me know which allows for the most skill while also keeping a nice trading interaction. You can also give suggestions on how trading should be done.

Other trading proposals:
1. Players choosing between 1-3 Pokémon to trade instead of only 3, depending on both their preferences.
2. My current proposal means both players have control over what they take, not what they give. Should both players have a say in what they both give and take? It adds more skill since you are more involved in what team you would have. Problem with this is that it may cause ragequits in the trading process if one person does not like to negotiate.
3. Should you be allowed to view the sets of your opponents? It allows for more mindgames if you don't know their sets. You may get tricked into taking a surprise physical Cute Charm Clefable set, but at the same time if you don't need a Clefable, your opponent would be stuck with it.
This meta has been suggested a few times over the years, but I think it has the potential to be really cool. Regarding the other trading proposals:

Nah, it would lead to weirdness if the players choose different numbers.

2. Should both players have a say in what they both give and take?
3. Should you be allowed to view the sets of your opponents?

Absolutely not for both of these. Contrary to what you think, being able to choose which Pokemon on your team gets traded will not add more skill. It will just result in players running three good mons and three useless Pokemon, and they would just swap their useless Pokemon with their opponent's useless Pokemon. On a similar note, the potential for mindgames and tradeoffs is super cool if you can't see your opponent's sets. Tricking an opponent into picking a Cute Charm Clefable is awesome, but putting a Cute Charm Clefable on your team is a risky move.

Another strategy that can be used is designing your team to be able to beat itself. Kinda like Imposter-proofing in Balanced Hackmons, but on a larger scale. I suspect this will be a major factor to keep in mind when building a team.

I also tried to figure out the logistics of trading, and here's what I've come up with. Trading would have to happen before you pick your lead, as if they happened in reverse, your lead might get swapped with something else, and which of the three mons sent your way is chosen for the lead is effectively random. So at the start of the battle, you would see your opponent's Pokemon in the space where you usually pick your lead. You pick the three you want, and they will replace the three Pokemon that your opponent picked from your team. Now you select a lead as normal.

Whether or not you get to see the sets of the Pokemon traded to you while selecting a lead or even before sending them into battle is something to consider. I think that once the trading is finished, you should be able to look over your new Pokemon's sets so you can make an informed decision of who best to lead with.

Oh yeah, and this meta could also be called Red Rover.

I also tried to figure out the logistics of trading, and here's what I've come up with. Trading would have to happen before you pick your lead, as if they happened in reverse, your lead might get swapped with something else, and which of the three mons sent your way is chosen for the lead is effectively random. So at the start of the battle, you would see your opponent's Pokemon in the space where you usually pick your lead. You pick the three you want, and they will replace the three Pokemon that your opponent picked from your team. Now you select a lead as normal.

Whether or not you get to see the sets of the Pokemon traded to you while selecting a lead or even before sending them into battle is something to consider. I think that once the trading is finished, you should be able to look over your new Pokemon's sets so you can make an informed decision of who best to lead with.
I did not think of this tbh, but this is actually a great idea that is simple to execute!

As for your response to proposal 2, I agree with you. If both players have a say on what they give and take, it's more than likely going to end up in a meta where both players would have 3 weak Pokémon and just trade it away. If you have 6 strong Pokémon while you're opponent has 3 weak and 3 strong ones, trading would be a mess since your opponent would want to give away the 3 weak ones while you would want to take the 3 strong ones. The meta would adjust to where each team would have 3 weak ones since they never want to be in a position where they trade a strong Pokémon for a weak one.

Regarding proposal 3, it may be possibe if you don't combine it with proposal 2. You would only have power on what you take, not what you give. Your opponent would never choose the physical Cute Charm Clefable if they can see your sets, so they would take the 3 best while leaving you will always have the 3 weakest Pokémon. Both teams would end up having a serious team so they will not have a wasted slot. The sad thing is there won't be mindgames anymore if you can view the sets, which is honestly part of the fun. The only way to ensure that your opponent would always get weak Pokémon is to have a team of weak Pokémon, so it would result in both teams having 3 weak and 3 strong Pokémon.

Lastly, your name sounds better, but do you mind explaining why you chose that?

Regarding proposal 3, it may be possibe if you don't combine it with proposal 2. You would only have power on what you take, not what you give. Your opponent would never choose the physical Cute Charm Clefable if they can see your sets, so they would take the 3 best while leaving you will always have the 3 weakest Pokémon. The only way to ensure that your opponent would always get weak Pokémon is to have a team of weak Pokémon, so it would result in both teams having 3 weak and 3 strong Pokémon.
There's a reason using intentionally using subpar mons is bad for #2 but good for #3. In #2, you're just gonna run three Magikarp tier Pokemon and dump them on your opponent as they do the same. In #3, using a subpar mon (or rather a good mon with a subpar set) is a risky decision. You could bamboozle your opponent into taking the bait, or you could be made a fool of and be stuck with a subpar mon. This makes for interesting team building.

You also don't need to risk it all with sets that are completely trash. You decide how to balance using optimal sets and counterteaming yourself. For example, say you have a Pokemon with two very good STABs, or one good STAB and one meh STAB. You could decide to forgo one of those STABs (probably the meh STAB), and put several mons who are weak to that omitted STAB on your team. Your opponent might think that taking that Pokemon would let them dominate your other Pokemon, only to find that it doesn't have the tool to do so. And if they don't take the bait, you've still got a Pokemon with a solid STAB move.

Oh yeah, and something else I just realized. Being able to see the sets of opposing Pokemon before you pick them means that both sides know everything about every Pokemon the other is running. This completely ruins any notions of scouting and misdirection, things that are integral to the appeal of Pokemon battles of any format.

Ok so.

"Specialmons"

The premise is that the Special Stats are once again unified, like in Generation 1, becoming what we know as "Special Stat". This stat essentially dictates how much damage you take from Special Moves and how much you deal via Special Moves.

What would be affected?:

-Essentially, held items, abilities or moves that alter, utilize or are dictated by the Special Attack and/or Special Defense stats will now be dictated off the Special Stat. This means, for example:
Amnesia will affect both defensive and offensive stats.
Psychic may lower Special, which may cripple Special focused Pokemon.
Wise Glasses will raise Special.
Eviolite not only raises Defense, but also Special, meaning it can be used for offensive sets.
And many more.
(This wouldn't apply to Life Orb because it strictly boost your damage output.)

-Every Pokemon's Special Stats will be dealt the following way: The highest special stat will be used for the Special Stat. This is so Pokemon can draw out as much potential as possible. Gen 1 Pokemon will NOT use Gen 1 Special Stats, because genuinely, that might put them at a severe disadvantage with other Pokemon, and it wouldn't give everyone as much of a fair fight. Because of this, Gen 1 mons will use this way of figuring Special Stats.

-This won't affect neither the Physical-Special Split, nor remove Dark, Steel or Fairy types, or any other new features like abilities. This will just unify the Special Stats into "Special". So yes, you can run Aura Sphere reliably, pal.

-This'll probably be a National Dex Meta. So Gen 7 (SuMo/USUM+LGPE)+Gen 8, if i'm correct.

Possible Bans and Possibly Interesting Pokemon:

In here i will probably show some of Pokemon i find interesting with the Special Stat, which may become Metagame threats. Or Pokemon i might ban. Yes, i know it's not really worthy mentioning possible interesting Pokemon alongside the Bans, but i want people to be judges here. And what better than to show what i think may be the group of Pokemon who may benefit, even if a small thing, from this format? Plus, People may want to see these, and it gives a bit of a sneak peek of what to look forward to. Be warned, as the list is quite lengthy, which is why i put it in a google doc (can't fit it here sadly).

List of Pokemon worth mentioning in regards to this format

What is the goal of the meta?

The Meta's goal is to have a look at how Pokemon were to function if the Special Stat was never separated. I think that, with the Pokemon we have, the Special Stat would influenciate so many Pokemon in many different ways.

What else?

Because i mentioned that a couple Mons would be banned, i think having a variant called "Specialmons AG" would be worth having, which is Specialmons but with Anything Goes rules. So anything i mentioned that might be banned? They'd be allowed in said tier of the meta.

I think also a Doubles variant would be interesting, because essentially, a lot of Pokemon change how they work with the Special Stat working the way i mentioned. Which means a change of tactics for VGC/Double style of battles. Pokemon here who benefit from Galarian Weezing being in the field, such as Slaking, Regigigas and Archeops, would appreciate using this new spread of stats in a doubles format for sure.

I don't think there would be much tiering for Specialmons, but i don't mind if someone wants to start a tier system.

While i like CAP Mons, i recognize they wouldn't be legal in this format, unless a CAP variant pops up. I mean, just in case, these gotta have Special applied, to avoid any errors.

Other Questions

One question i think people might ask is "What about moves that raise one special stat and lower the other Special Stat?"

If the move lowers one Special stat by one and raises another Special stat by one, then essentially, they cancel each other out. This might be good, because negative stats might be altogether avoided. Though it doesn't help you more than that.

Another example would be Shell Smash, since it lowers SpD by one and raises SpA by two. Essentially, Special would be lowered first, then the Special Boost applied after, and that would cancel out the negative debuff, at the cost of half of the Special Buff. Basically, Special Lowers by 1, and then raises by 2 stages. This somewhat balances the usage of Shell Smash, since you're not raising much Special, which not only acts as offense, but also defense.

Any other questions, just ask me on Discord or here. Gelius#6764

Anyways, with that done, i leave you all to discuss this format, to see if it's worthy a shot making in Showdown or not, or what else may come from it or not.

Yes, i took two days working on this. I like putting effort in it, smh.

Edit: Okay i got an issue where i accidentally posted multiple thumbnails. My bad, i'll fix it in a bit.

Edit 2: Fixed the issue, it's now clean.
Re-bumping this because i got a couple updates for what i'd like to add. Read the original of course.

Clauses:

Currently, i think regular OU Clauses would work here as well, but i'm currently looking through what could cause issues with the metagame. Contrary and Tail Glow, however, are ones i'm thinking about. They can spiral out of control, if things go too far.

bumping this, i didn’t get any replies nor reactions so idk what i’m doing wrong

:munchlax: :munchlax: Motor Control :ninjask: :ninjask:

Metagame Premise: An OU-based metagame where a Pokémon’s speed stat is averaged with the opposing Pokémon’s upon entering the field. The originally faster Pokemon gets a 1.1x boost to all stats while on the field.

Potential Threats and Bans:
  • OU Banlist
  • :conkeldurr: :vikavolt: :rhyperior: :drampa: Slow powerhouses would likely benefit from the additional speed after averaging with a faster Pokemon to outspeed more things and kill them.
  • :cinderace: :alakazam: :haxorus: :gengar: Fast and strong breakers can easily get a boost due to outspeeding more Pokemon and can potentially spiral the game out of control.

FAQ:

Q: Does the Pokemon keep their averaged speed stats?
A: They keep the averaged stat for the next averaging process. The stat is reverted to normal after switching out, like how Speed Swap, Power Split etc works.

Q: Can Pokemon stack boosts?
A: Yes, given that they are the faster one in an averaging process.

Q: What about Choice Scarf?
A: The Choice Scarf boost is seen before switching in, so the boost applies when averaging the speed.

Questions to the community:
  • Does the meta seem fun to play? If not, any suggestions?
  • Would the 1.1x boost be too much? It was originally a measure to make players not spam slow Pokemon. The boost is however balanced by the fact that when a Pokemon gets a boost, it becomes slower and makes it less likely to get another boost.
  • Stat changes from Speed Swap, Power Split etc are currently not visible on PS!. As the averaging process follows a similar mechanic, would the meta become too confusing to play?
  • Any suggestions for a better name?
So... Every turn is a speed tie? That doesn't sound like fun at all. The entire battle just comes down to an iterative Chicken Game.
Apparently, metagames that focus on stat changes are everywhere, so they are unlikely to get approved unless, like Flipped, they are very distinctive.

oh right i didnt realize it leads to speed ties. but doesnt the 1.1x boost make it not a tie?
Ok, I misread it as 1.1 boost to everything other than speed. So the end result is the same, it's just the faster mon gets more powerful? I can see the idea of "dragging down" speed, but I think in reality this won't change much.
also, how about any feedback on my first post?
Apparently, metagames that focus on stat changes are everywhere, so they are unlikely to get approved unless, like Flipped, they are very distinctive.

• So, I just wanted to spitball a recent idea I had for an OM. Would appreciate some feedback:

*BFF* (maybe a better name, too).
This meta is based on Gen 8 OU, and all standard bans and clauses apply. For this premise, mons share all potential abilities and moves with other mons that share their type combination. This means that, for instance, Gyarados would have access to all the abilities and moves present on other Water/Flying types (with a few exceptions); however, it would not share assets with any Water types that do not have the dual Flying type. To give a more clear example:
1593819640394.png

Keldeo w/Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
  • Calm Mind​
  • Scald​
  • Secret Sword​
  • Ice Beam
In this example, Keldeo gains access to the Ice Beam it has wanted for so long thanks to Poliwrath, who also gives it an actually useful ability in Water Absorb. A mon can even borrow from non-Galar mons unless an ability or move has been restricted. If a mon has multiple forms, only the form that actually shares its typing with the donor will have access to their donor's assets, so Rotom Wash will not get Arctozolt's donations. To clarify, the following do not count for potential donors:
  • Megas
  • Primals
  • Any other form changes that only activate mid battle (ie Meloetta, Darm).
I have tried to keep bans and restrictions light for the sake of variety. However, the following assets and mons are banned:
Pokemon:
  • Ubers
  • Inteleon
  • Mew
  • Urshifu S
Abilities:
  • Arena Trap
  • Innards Out
  • Moody
  • Shadow Tag
Moves
  • Baton Pass
  • Double Team
  • Geomancy
  • Light of Ruin
  • Minimize
In addition, the following abilities and moves are restricted to native users:
Abilities:
  • Comatose
  • Electric Surge (Rising Voltage is busted lol)
  • Fur Coat
  • Huge Power/Pure Power
  • Illusion
  • Imposter (imposter proofing is much harder here than in other OMs due to the more limited distribution)
  • Libero/Protean
  • Simple
  • Stakeout
  • Swift Swim (I'm willing to keep the other speed- boosting weather abilities since their recipients aren't as naturally good)
  • Any form-changing abilities (Battle Bond, RKS System, etc.)
Moves:
  • Bolt Beak
  • Boomburst
  • Extreme Speed
  • Fishious Rend
  • Shell Smash
  • Tail Glow
  • Transform
  • Mew’s movepool (as Dr. Pumpkinz pointed out, Mew brings an absurd amount of versatility to the table).
That's all I'm planning for the start. Any picks you might suggest for restriction, such as Bolt Beak or Wonder guard, don't really have any recipients that are OU legal or just aren't viable. However, I am willing to make further restrictions for the following topics:
  • Belly Drum (depends on how good the recipients would actually be)
  • Contrary
  • Drizzle/Drought/Sand Stream (we all know how busted weather can be under the right circumstances. Hail is probably safe due to it not being as good)
  • Magic Guard (potentially enables stall to an obnoxious degree)
  • Psychic Surge (not as problematic as Electric Surge, but still worth considering)
  • Shift Gear (like Shell Smash, but I'm willing to consider it due to more limited distribution)
  • Speed Boost (the only reason this isn't already restricted is because most recipients are- not good. Crawdaunt is currently the only legal option that might be scary)
  • Unaware (given who gets this, might make set-up sweepers next to unusable)
  • Water Bubble (not sure about this)
Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions for what might be problematic, or just something that might make this meta more appealing.

Last edited:
I would also ban Bolt Beak, as it seems like it'd be the same problem on most fast Electric-types.
The only thing that gets new Bolt Beak is Rotom Frost, which isn’t really an ideal user. Fishious Rend was important to restrict since actually good mons got access to it (Kingdra & Cloyster). Might as well restrict Beak though, just in case DLC gives us a new user. Thanks

Pure Psychics are probably going to be an issue. They have a ton of great abilities like Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, and Regenerator, and they have unrestricted access to Mew's absurd movepool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)