Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boostmons
Premise: Every Pokemon will have either Simple or Contrary along with its base ability. If a Pokemon is shiny it will have Contrary, if it is not it will have Simple.

Questions:
  • What if a Pokemon already has Simple or Contrary as its base ability?
    • A Pokemon with Contrary can have Simple and vice versa, but having two of the same ability will not stack in any way.​
    • For example, Contrary Malamar will obtain Simple if it is shiny, which will cause Superpower to raise its Attack and Defense 2 stages each. However, Simple Bibarel will not obtain another Simple boost if it is not shiny. Swords Dance will raise its Attack 4 stages as normal.​
  • Are stat-changing abilities affected?
    • No. Abilities like Speed Boost, Intimidate, Download, etc. are not affected.​
  • How do ability changing/copying effects work with Simple/Contrary?
    • Ability changing effects like Trace or Skill Swap will only affect the base ability, but ability suppressing effects like Neutralizing Gas or Gastro Acid will still prevent Simple and Contrary from activating.​
Examples:

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Mystical Fire

Contrary Latios will be able to raise its Special Attack 2 stages with Draco Meteor, simultaneously increasing Stored Power's BP

Polteageist @ White Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
Shiny: No
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain

Simple Polteageist using Shell Smash will increase its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by 4 stages, and bring Stored Power to a whopping 260 BP.

Unaware Pokemon like Clefable/Quagsire, Haze users like Toxapex/Tentacruel, and Neutralizing Gas Weezing may also see usage to prevent sweeps.

Any feedback is welcome! I'm still questioning how things like stat-changing abilities and ability-changing affects should work. I don't want to make things like Beast Boost better than it already is, but things like -2 Intimidate could also be healthy.

Eggs

some days, you just can't get rid of an egg
Hi everyone, I had an idea a while back, and it turns out that idea is MonsJustMons, an OM that was around during XY. I thought the concept was super cool (I'm also an OM Mashups goon who wanted to run STABMonsJustMons), so I updated it for Gen 8, and with some help from kamranshah, also made it playable via custom tournament and challenge.

Now for the official submission:
1621279964199.png

Premise: Pokemon Battling without Abilities, Items, or EVs.

Ruleset: MonsJustMons is based on [Gen 8] OU. Cinderace, Darmanitan-Galar, Dracovish, Landorus, Genesect, and Spectrier are unbanned, while Archeops and Regigigas are banned.

Questions for the Community: Kamran and I haven't developed this too much yet, so we're very open to suggestions! Some things we're unclear on are:
-If Natures and IVs can be controlled, should we force all Pokemon to run Neutral natures and Max/Min IVs?
-What Pokemon can be unbanned?

-Are there any unhealthy mechanics that become a problem without Abilities, Items, or EVs?
-Are there any previously banned mechanics that become less problematic without Abilities, Items, or EVs?
-Potential Name Suggestions? MonsJustMons is a bit lengthy and not exactly descriptive in my opinion.

Information and Resources:
Thanks to the recent updates to custom tournament rules, we're now able to control EV investment on Pokemon, which was the largest barrier facing MonsJustMons from being playable. IVs and Natures cannot be controlled, so both are still allowed; however I think this is a positive change that adds some variety to the format. Additionally, a change in rules made yesterday now allows us to ban Pokemon from holding any item, as opposed to the previous solution of using a useless item (Ultranecrozium Z was previously our best option).
/tour new gen8ou, elim,,, [Gen 8] MonsJustMons (No Item, Ability, or EVs)
/tour rules !obtainableabilities, -allabilities, +noability, -allitems, EV Limits = HP 1-1 / Atk 0-0 / Def 0-0 / Spa 0-0 / Spd 0-0 / Spe 0-0, +Cinderace, +Darmanitan-Galar, +Dracovish, +Landorus, +Genesect, +Spectrier, -Archeops, -Regigigas
/tour autostart 7
/tour autodq 4
/announce Each Pokemon must have 1 HP EV, no item, and the ability No Ability
/challenge gen8ou @@@ !obtainableabilities, -allabilities, +noability, -allitems, EV Limits = HP 1-1 / Atk 0-0 / Def 0-0 / Spa 0-0 / Spd 0-0 / Spe 0-0, +Cinderace, +Darmanitan-Galar, +Dracovish, +Landorus, +Genesect, +Spectrier, -Archeops ,-Regigigas
Slowbro
Ability: No Ability
EVs: 1 HP
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight
Things that like the absence of Abilities, Items, and EVs
:regieleki: Now the fastest Pokemon in the format, as there's no scarf for fast mons to outspeed it
:regigigas: + :archeops: : These mons benefitted a little too much from their ability being removed, so they're banned
:klinklang: Setup Sweepers in general benefit from the lack of boots, lefties, and choice scarf
Entry Hazards are no longer ignored by Heavy Duty Boots
Priority Moves are now the only way to gain a speed advantage over faster Pokemon
Leech Seed, Wish, and Healing Wish are now the only ways to heal teammates that lack a recovery move
Rest + Sleep Talk is most likely going to be seen on a lot more Pokemon than normal

Things that dislike the absence of Abilities, Items, and EVs
:dracovish: No Strong Jaw, Scarf, or Band; hell there's not even rain support in this format lmao
:cinderace: :darmanitan-galar: Both mons were sentenced to Ubers because of their abilities, without them (or items for that matter) these mons are going to be much less threatening
:swampert: Defensive Pokemon that relied on passive recovery to stave off chip damage are now left without that option
:volcarona: No boots lmao

"Yeeting Contest"

Items go in the move slots. Pokémon may use any item, berry, or Technical Record to perform certain moves. Berries will default to Natural Gift, other items will become Fling. Technical Records will become the move they would teach, but only if the Pokémon using it can learn the move legally. Each Type Plate, Type Memory, and type-boosting object has 90 base power and becomes the Type it is associated with, but the power is not boosted unless another item in the Pokémon's item slot boosts its power.
Standard Fling becomes typeless, dealing neutral damage like Struggle.
Fling already has different power levels and sometimes secondary effects with each item. Natural Gift has varies in types, secondary effect, and base power. Technical Records are literally moves a Pokémon can learn, and their Fling base power already matches their actual base power. Most of it is intuitive.
All held move-items have their standard effects, and if a single-use item is triggered by an opponent's attack, the move associated with that item can no longer be used.
Items in the item slot behave normally.

Bans & Clauses:
• Item clause (no two Pokémon can have the same held item in their item slot)
• Due to the effects of Fling, King's Rock and Razor Fang are banned from use in move slots
• Choice items are suspect

Marowak/Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Heatran @ Flame Orb + Toxic Orb
Ditto | Metal Powder + Quick Powder
NFE | Eviolite + Assault Vest
Poison-type | Leftovers + Black Sludge
Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd | Leek + Razor Claw + Scope Lens
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ferrothorn | Sticky Barb + Rocky Helmet + Jaboca Berry + Rowap Berry
[Trapper] | Binding Band + Grip Claw
[Wall] | Shell Bell + Big Root
[Berry-abuser] | [Super-effective resistance berries] + Weakness Policy + Enigma Berry
[Slow Analytic mon] | Zoom Lens + Wide Lens + [low-accuracy TR] + Micle Berry

ok, I think I have something in mind for a possible meta game or something when it gets polished, because right now I am just throwing cheese, even though some people might have come up with similar things in the past.
bonus note: The first actual idea might not be a good one since it messes with the moves instead of the pokemon, and that is a bit too much to ask, unless similar things have been done before.

Idea: baby power

literally just Godly Gift but with a baby pokemon, at first I thought it would be interesting and funny to have it reveresed, but instead halve what the pokemon loses/gains from the stat the postion the pokemon it is. mostly becausse you'll get a Overly bulky Blissey if you use Bonsly, Literal Wall Ferrothorn if you use Budew, Sweeper (insert normally slow pokemon like Slowking and Swampert here) if you use Elekid, and almost anythig with decent or terrible SpATK suddenly get good to great moves to use if you use Smoochum, and pretty much the same except for Physical Attacks if you use Magby.

I mean, I am not sure what will happen if you have something like a Budew and then a Blissey in the SpDEF department since Budew only has 70 SPd and Blissey has 135, so I'll just say it only gets r-

Improvisement. instead of just doing what godly gift does, and reduce the stats by that baby pokemon's unless the stat is already 20 and or below or so. like I said, I'm doing things as I think about it, but I don't know if this would work since there are almost as many flaws to it as the thing I previously mentioned, and I do not like to make things more complicated for the people who work on these and this is pretty mind boggling, even though I'm just doing something that already exsits but worse but could be entertaining if made the right way.

as it is, I am not sure if I'll actually want to go through with this but I'll send it in anyways. also not sure if this is a pet mod or anything.
so all I can do for a example for a first timer's expirence of this, so here is an Example Team with just using the Boosts

1. Blissey
255/65/10/75/135/55
Blissey just gets a huge physical attack boost from Magby, so it can actually use it's physical attacks to the same capacity as Slowking-G and Mandibuzz. those are horrible comparisons, but comparisons none the less

2. Pherosmona
no difference since Magby and Pherosmona share the same physical Def

3. Ferrothorn
74/94/131/89/116/20
basically just switching physical sets for Special sets, although Gyro ball and Body Pressare not changed, so it just hits more like a Calryex Spec with energy ball.

4. Barraskewda
61/123/60/60/53/136
nothing changes in the long run. just a tad bit more likely to survive some special attacks or something. I couldn't find anything that good for Special Defense if using Magby as a base.

5. Magby.
Nothing to say. Nothing to change. Magby is already perfection.

6. Slowking- G
95/65/80/110/110/56
Gets more use out of it's speed. that is it.

and all the math stuff for the rest of the stats. I forgot if Health was included as well, because if so, I screwed myself. In the end, I did not think I fleshed it out that well, and tried to do another as base, and still failed, but again, what's the point of typing this if I am not going to send this in, and I do apologize if this is more of a pet mod. I have no expirence in these kinds of things.

If anything, this will be anything but the Official submission for this thing, nd I am not sure if anyone already tried to do the same or similar Idea, but I'll like to hear from those who could help resolve the issues like, what to do when Blissey has a higher Sp Def than Budew as base, although a solution is just to subtract it instead if the stat is above the base stat thing so the thing does not crash when trying to do it's thing.

ok, I think I have something in mind for a possible meta game or something when it gets polished, because right now I am just throwing cheese, even though some people might have come up with similar things in the past.
bonus note: The first actual idea might not be a good one since it messes with the moves instead of the pokemon, and that is a bit too much to ask, unless similar things have been done before.

Idea: baby power

literally just Godly Gift but with a baby pokemon, at first I thought it would be interesting and funny to have it reveresed, but instead halve what the pokemon loses/gains from the stat the postion the pokemon it is. mostly becausse you'll get a Overly bulky Blissey if you use Bonsly, Literal Wall Ferrothorn if you use Budew, Sweeper (insert normally slow pokemon like Slowking and Swampert here) if you use Elekid, and almost anythig with decent or terrible SpATK suddenly get good to great moves to use if you use Smoochum, and pretty much the same except for Physical Attacks if you use Magby.

I mean, I am not sure what will happen if you have something like a Budew and then a Blissey in the SpDEF department since Budew only has 70 SPd and Blissey has 135, so I'll just say it only gets r-

Improvisement. instead of just doing what godly gift does, and reduce the stats by that baby pokemon's unless the stat is already 20 and or below or so. like I said, I'm doing things as I think about it, but I don't know if this would work since there are almost as many flaws to it as the thing I previously mentioned, and I do not like to make things more complicated for the people who work on these and this is pretty mind boggling, even though I'm just doing something that already exsits but worse but could be entertaining if made the right way.

as it is, I am not sure if I'll actually want to go through with this but I'll send it in anyways. also not sure if this is a pet mod or anything.
so all I can do for a example for a first timer's expirence of this, so here is an Example Team with just using the Boosts

1. Blissey
255/65/10/75/135/55
Blissey just gets a huge physical attack boost from Magby, so it can actually use it's physical attacks to the same capacity as Slowking-G and Mandibuzz. those are horrible comparisons, but comparisons none the less

2. Pherosmona
no difference since Magby and Pherosmona share the same physical Def

3. Ferrothorn
74/94/131/89/116/20
basically just switching physical sets for Special sets, although Gyro ball and Body Pressare not changed, so it just hits more like a Calryex Spec with energy ball.

4. Barraskewda
61/123/60/60/53/136
nothing changes in the long run. just a tad bit more likely to survive some special attacks or something. I couldn't find anything that good for Special Defense if using Magby as a base.

5. Magby.
Nothing to say. Nothing to change. Magby is already perfection.

6. Slowking- G
95/65/80/110/110/56
Gets more use out of it's speed. that is it.

and all the math stuff for the rest of the stats. I forgot if Health was included as well, because if so, I screwed myself. In the end, I did not think I fleshed it out that well, and tried to do another as base, and still failed, but again, what's the point of typing this if I am not going to send this in, and I do apologize if this is more of a pet mod. I have no expirence in these kinds of things.

If anything, this will be anything but the Official submission for this thing, nd I am not sure if anyone already tried to do the same or similar Idea, but I'll like to hear from those who could help resolve the issues like, what to do when Blissey has a higher Sp Def than Budew as base, although a solution is just to subtract it instead if the stat is above the base stat thing so the thing does not crash when trying to do it's thing.
This just sounds like a shitty version of Godly Gift. Instead of one Uber and a team of Pokemon with supercharged stats, you have one useless Pokemon and a team of Pokemon with slightly-higher-than-usual stats. Plus the whole bit about halving stat boosts or whatever is just not at all intuitive.

I would probably lean into the idea of it being a reverse version of Godly Gift and have the baby be the one to get stats from the rest of the team, rather than the rest of the team getting stats from the Uber. So in the example team you've provided, we have:

Slot 1 Blissey: 255 HP
Slot 2 Pheromosa: 137 Attack
Slot 3 Ferrothorn: 131 Defense
Slot 4 Barraskewda: 60 Special Attack
Slot 5 Magby: 55 Special Defense
Slot 6 Slowking: 30 Speed

So the Magby's stats would be 255 / 137 / 131 / 60 / 55 / 30

This just sounds like a shitty version of Godly Gift. Instead of one Uber and a team of Pokemon with supercharged stats, you have one useless Pokemon and a team of Pokemon with slightly-higher-than-usual stats. Plus the whole bit about halving stat boosts or whatever is just not at all intuitive.

I would probably lean into the idea of it being a reverse version of Godly Gift and have the baby be the one to get stats from the rest of the team, rather than the rest of the team getting stats from the Uber. So in the example team you've provided, we have:

Slot 1 Blissey: 255 HP
Slot 2 Pheromosa: 137 Attack
Slot 3 Ferrothorn: 131 Defense
Slot 4 Barraskewda: 60 Special Attack
Slot 5 Magby: 55 Special Defense
Slot 6 Slowking: 30 Speed

So the Magby's stats would be 255 / 137 / 131 / 60 / 55 / 30
Yeah, I think I'll take what you said rather than the confusion I came up with, although Budew and Bonsly would be the only ones on a watchlist with Blissey banned anyways.

What if, too make it a bit different, each other Mon swaps a stat with the LC Mon? So the LC Mon ends up with five stats changed to those of other Mon and each other Mon has one of its stats changed to that of the LC Mon?

What if, too make it a bit different, each other Mon swaps a stat with the LC Mon? So the LC Mon ends up with five stats changed to those of other Mon and each other Mon has one of its stats changed to that of the LC Mon?
Having to cripple your other five mons doesn't sound very fun, but using LCs instead of baby Pokemon is a good idea.

Having to cripple your other five mons doesn't sound very fun, but using LCs instead of baby Pokemon is a good idea.
Well if they only exchange stats they don't care about, it will mean they are crippled less, but the LC is boosted less too. So it's a tradeoff and strategy is involved

Well if they only exchange stats they don't care about, it will mean they are crippled less, but the LC is boosted less too. So it's a tradeoff and strategy is involved
Having to choose between "one strong Pokemon with a bunch of crippled Pokemon" and "one mediocre/bad Pokemon and a bunch of less-crippled Pokemon" does not sound like the recipe for interesting tradeoffs and strategy. It sounds like the recipe for having the meta dominated by teams that just completely ignore the gimmick and run six OU mons.

Having to choose between "one strong Pokemon with a bunch of crippled Pokemon" and "one mediocre/bad Pokemon and a bunch of less-crippled Pokemon" does not sound like the recipe for interesting tradeoffs and strategy. It sounds like the recipe for having the meta dominated by teams that just completely ignore the gimmick and run six OU mons.
Well, you would not be allowed to run a team without an LC Mon, but fair enough. People tend to prefer metas where their Mon are MORE powerful, not less.

New Rough Idea:
Guardian Angel (Name might need a change, although Mock Mega and or something similar works.)
Rules: Species Clause, no Dynamax, same Evolution tree Clause.
Premise: 3v3 with a twist. Pokemon in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th position essentially become part of the pokemon that comes before them.

It's more like having the 2nd, 4th, and 6th pokemon in the team is loosely similar to a Mock Mega Evolution.
When you 'Mega Evolve' a pokemon in this Meta Game, the Pokemon you have out, gains a few boosts and debuffs, as well as the ability based on the pokemon in the next position's stats (Items like the Choice Scarf fo not influence anything. the Second, Fourth, and Sixth pokemon cannot hold items.) and more importantly, swapping out the 2nd and 4th moves with what the 2nd pokemon has for those 2 moves.

Example: Blissey is 1st and Nidoking is 2nd. Blissey gains a bit of physical prowess and speed and is able to gain the ability to use it's new physical offense, (nothing happens to SpATK since it is the same, unless obviously Selecting it's IVs, which is not accounted for) but loses alot of it's Special defense, as well as Serene Grace/Natural Cure and gains Sheer Force.

Banlist: Legendaries
Watchlist: Ulta Beasts, Pokemon with Sheer Force, Pokemon with abilities that power up certain types of moves, Pokemon with abilities like Refrigerate, but not sure what else could be issues, besides huge/pure power and Adaptability

what are the few boosts and debuffs, it's unclear

Even then, i don't see why Ultra Beasts of all things are overpowered. Beast Boost isn't *that* good. Also, Huge/Pure Power/Adaptability are way bigger threats than Sheer Force.

Overall it sounds like a less complex Chimera 1v1
from what I tried to describe, is that it’s based on the stats of the pokemon in terms of Nidoking having better overall stats than Blissey.

although, It’ll defidently change for the finished product, and the example I used was poor when I could have used Skarmory instead of Blissey.

I was originally thinking of having a boost similar to a mega evolution depending on the differences of the stats of the pokemon themselves with a debuff for at least 1 of them based on what the second pokemon doesn’t have as much of what the first pokemon has, like how Nidoking can’t take as many special based hits Blissey can, and you are correct, but I only put them here just to be safe because you could abuse something like a Swampert with Pheromosa, but then again, Swampert still loses it’s bulk in exchange to be a better physical sweeper.

and I meant the no Uber clause instead of no legendaries because we do not need anything like a Cinderace as a Secondary for anything that doesn’t need Speed and already has good or great ATK. heck, you could probably even use a Physical Alazkam and still sweep.

also now that you brought it up, it does seem like that, although it’s a bit clunkier for the stat stuff.

although Blissey and/or Ferrothorn could be on ban, because it’s more or less, it’s better to have 1 than both. we don’t need a almost uncontestable bulky pokemon that can set up and stall without many or any problems, even though both of them have a fair amount of usable moves that could benefit them if they had more Attack/Special Attack respectively, and I’ll rather keep one of them rather than both of them. I did not think of both of them until now.

Edit: I am not a big on Competitive, but I think I know the big things to take care of except for those with troublesome abilities but I think I missed some of the possible options that would be just as uncontestable and/or stupidly powerful, especially when I do not know what users would use for unpredictable combinations, but hey, if Rubl-(PU) get used, who am I to care unless it breaks the metagame, I mean, nobody can predict everything, right? also my dumb butt forgot about Wonderguard.

screw everything. Machamp-Nidoking(Sheer-force), Toxapex-Clefable(Cute Charm), and Alakazam-Kartana(Beast Boost) time.

Last edited:
Primary power:
Premise: Pokemon with a secondary typing instead have two of their primary typing, for example a grass/poison Venusaur would instead be a grass/grass venusaur.

A definite ban would be adaptability, giving a 4x stab instead of a 2.25x stab like what would normally be. While hyper offense would be more prevalent chansey would continue to be a threat due to it being pure normal, and thus one of the many Pokémon that will continue to only have one type, a surprisingly helpful gift for defensive mons. Obstagoon is also a great threat due to getting even better stab on guts facade. Literally any Pokémon with a secondary type is going to be obliterated by a super effective hit so switching into a resist is much more important now. Pokémon like quagsire are easily threatened by moves that they could normally shrug off like electric moves against the aforementioned quagsire.

Questions:
How much better is shedinja now?
Are double typed ubers that are defense focused (read: zamazenta) now bad enough to be unbanned? A fairy or flying type move punches a massive hole in it now.
What are some other major threats I missed?

Most importantly: is defense and/or setup punished too much now, considering that any of their primary types’ weakness is a 4x weakness now I think this meta game might punish defense a little too much but if there’s a way to fix that please tell me.

While type effectiveness would be doubled, I don't think STAB and Adaptability work like that. I'm pretty sure whether a move has STAB is just a binary yes or no. It doesn't matter if it matches both types. And since Adaptability just changes what the STAB multiplier would be, it also doesn't care if both of your types match the move's type. At least, that's how it works on the calculator. I tried testing it on Showdown with Trick-Or-Treat but it doesn't seem to work on Pokemon who are already Ghost-type.

In any case, even if it the damage formula does actually work out such that giving a Pokemon two of the same type doubles their STAB bonus, I can't see this meta being particularly interesting. You sacrifice a huge amount of depth in the type system by removing the ability to combine types in interesting ways, and for what? Mindlessly spamming a strong STAB move and blowing up anything that resists it with 4x super effective coverage?

Imposing limits on the player is not necessarily bad, as they can potentially increase depth with interesting tradeoffs (to give a vanilla example, the limits of the nature system force you to choose between speed and power on an attacker; you can't boost both) but this just seems to remove strategic depth without adding much in return.

Thank you for pointing this out, I now see that this would be pretty unfun, actually. Amazing that I was too short sighted before. I don’t think I’ll go any further with this.

Hoping to regain some interests since i love this metagame in gen 7, i would love to revive

Mediocremons

Metagame premise: Only Pokemon with base stats under base 100 are allowed, this metagame would allow people to use mainly undesired mons with bad stats actually usable with no changes to movepools or stats. Pokemon with base 95 in any stat is the best stat to have and Eviolite will be common on certain mons.

Potential bans and threats: Clefable, Kingdra, Nidoqueen, Diggersby are the mons that come to mind with this Criteria that come off as overly powered

Questions for the community: Do you guys think this is a fun concept? this was played in gen 7 and i would love to bring it back since i have a passion for this and want to bring attention

Rain seems super overpowered. Its most common setter (pelipper) and a couple of decent abusers (Seaking, Poliwrath, Kingdra). Sand doesn't have any good abusers (the new fossils all have base 100s), Sun doesn't have any good abusers (Venusaur, Shrifty, and even nicher things like Maractus) except maybe Charmeleon/Ivysaur, and Hail has only two LC mons.
Nah its just under base 100, nothing equal or after, so none other than kingdra/charmeleon and ivysair are allowed. Kingdra will likely be banned anyways

I have an idea.
Borrowing
Premise:
Pokémons can borrow the "power" (one move, one stats, an ability and, in case, a specific item, like soul dew) of another pokemon, with the same exact typing (so no borrowing by Braviary from Tornadus or Corviknight)in a higher tier, by having the same nickname (like in CrossEvo, Inheritance, etc...)

Banlist and potential threats:

UU banlist

Borrowing Shell Smash, Belly Drum, Geomancy, Quiver Dance and Shift gear

Borrowing from Zacian-C

Borrowing Dauntless Shield

Borrowing Speed Boost, Huge Power, Libero.

Borrowing Regieleki Speed

Others (Idk)

I don't really know about potential threats (I don't even know if stats changes can be achieved in Showdown)
Here's a (stupid) sample set

Snorlax (Linoone) @ Aguav Berry
New stats: 78/110/61/50/100
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Play Rough

A few notes:
BL count as the fist tier in which they can be played in (so PUBL in NU, NUBL in RU, etc...)

You can borrow from forms that can be mantained outside the battle, as long you have the same typo.

Is it possible? Can it be fun? Is it new?

I have an idea.
Borrowing
Premise:
Pokémons can borrow the "power" (one move, one stats, an ability and, in case, a specific item, like soul dew) of another pokemon, with the same exact typing (so no borrowing by Braviary from Tornadus or Corviknight)in a higher tier, by having the same nickname (like in CrossEvo, Inheritance, etc...)

UU banlist

Borrowing from Zacian-C

Others (Idk)

I don't really know about potential threats (I don't even know if stats changes can be achieved in Showdown)

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Play Rough

A few notes:
BL count as the fist tier in which they can be played in (so PUBL in NU, NUBL in RU, etc...)

You can borrow from forms that can be mantained outside the battle, as long you have the same typo.

You would need to find a way to designate what aspect of the other Pokemon you're borrowing. In your example, how would Showdown know to copy Snorlax's attack, rather than (say) its Special Defense? I can imagine doing this by mandating that Linoone immediately follow Snorlax in your lineup, which would free the name slot up to say "Attack". Alternatively, you could simply not allow Pokemon to borrow stats, and let the inclusion of a non-native ability or move speak for itself.

The same-exact-type restriction seems unfun -- it's rare for teams to naturally want two Pokemon of the exact same type, and to take full advantage of this meta's mechanic, they would need to do that three times over. These teams would be very inconsistent, as it's nigh-impossible to prepare for the toughest walls and strongest attacks with just three type combinations. Players would feel pressure to limit their use of the borrowing mechanic, which isn't what people generally want out of an OM.

Additionally, the same-exact-type restriction doesn't make intuitive sense. Like, for STABmons, Pokemon tend to get a wider array of same-type moves already, and are generally better-equipped to make use of those moves, so it makes sense to limit them to new same-type moves. With Borrowing, there's no clear connection between "borrowing a trait from a higher-tier teammate" and "sharing the exact same type".

I could see it as a way of keeping players from assembling broken strategies, but it also rules out vast swaths of fun and interesting combos that aren't broken. I think it would be better to lift the restriction and only ban moves/abilities/Pokemon as necessary to balance the meta.

I have an idea.
Borrowing
Premise:

UU banlist

Borrowing from Zacian-C

Others (Idk)

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Play Rough

A few notes:

You could definitely make it work and be fun if you remove the type restrictions, but it would only work in a 3v3 environment due to a lack of showdown’s ability to tell what you want without a trigger, like instead of naming it a Pokémon’s name, name it attack or ability and it takes from the Pokémon in the next slot, but the mon in the next slot isn’t usable. With the removed type restrictions you could make it fun by allowing a mon named “type” to add the next mon’s primary type as a third type, but we already have bonus type for that.

Totally Healthy (Can't think of anything that fits)

Premise: Base HP of all of your Pokemon is added together, and the first team that eliminates all of the total HP wins. No pokemon faints/becomes unusable.

Banlist/Potential Threats:
  • Hazards probably have to be nerfed, maybe lower the percentage or make it deal base damage. IDK about toxic spikes but first layer seems more threatening than second layers.
  • I don't know if set-up moves would be overpowered. Revenge sweepers are kind of useless now so you would need a counter not a check. Belly drum halving the entire HP of your team would be interesting but not very effective?
    • Since setting up has relatively much less risk, choice items would be nerfed?
  • Recovery moves and other HP based moves would probably only be calculated on your or the other mon. This implies a healing cap as well
    • Examples: 50% healing moves, Leech Seed, Dream Eater, Rest, Endeavor, Shell Bell, Leftovers, Grassy terrain, Iron barbs, Rocky helmet, I guess Shell Bell and Protective Pads would be buffed
    • Volt absorb and its copies would also have a cap
    • Healing wish could be so the mon that uses it is unusable and the mon that comes out gives +HP to the entire team based on its max HP? Or damaged HP?
Questions:
  • How should I deal with abilities that boost a stat after killing a mon
    • Maybe after dealing X damage such as 400?
    • Or base it off if u deal the damage to supposedly faint the opposing mons current HP?
  • How would you nerf Regenerator? Pretty sure it's the only unfair/bannable mechanic.
    • If you would argue that it's not that bad, I would say it would make the metagame reallly boring
  • Would Blissey be balanced? It adds huge amounts of HP and is a special wall, but it allows physical mons to set-up
  • Would Shedinja be balanced?
    • It has garbage defenses and you're basically playing with the health of 5 mons, but isn't it such an easy switch in for free chip or set-up.
  • Would paraspam be annoying? Or maybe some cleric is always needed in the team?
(also if this has been done before can i pweaseee suggest another one i have in mind)

Last edited:
Totally Healthy (Can't think of anything that fits)

Premise: Base HP of all of your Pokemon is added together, and the first team that eliminates all of the total HP wins. No pokemon faints/becomes unusable.

Banlist/Potential Threats:
  • Hazards probably have to be nerfed, maybe lower the percentage or make it deal base damage. IDK about toxic spikes but first layer seems more threatening than second layers.
  • I don't know if set-up moves would be overpowered. Revenge sweepers are kind of useless now so you would need a counter not a check. Belly drum halving the entire HP of your team would be interesting but not very effective?
    • Since setting up has relatively much less risk, choice items would be nerfed?
  • Recovery moves and other HP based moves would probably only be calculated on your or the other mon. This implies a healing cap as well
    • Examples: 50% healing moves, Leech Seed, Dream Eater, Rest, Endeavor, Shell Bell, Leftovers, Grassy terrain, Iron barbs, Rocky helmet, I guess Shell Bell and Protective Pads would be buffed
    • Volt absorb and its copies would also have a cap
    • Healing wish could be so the mon that uses it is unusable and the mon that comes out gives +HP to the entire team based on its max HP? Or damaged HP?
Questions:
  • How should I deal with abilities that boost a stat after killing a mon
    • Maybe after dealing X damage such as 400?
    • Or base it off if u deal the damage to supposedly faint the opposing mons current HP?
  • How would you nerf Regenerator? Pretty sure it's the only unfair/bannable mechanic.
    • If you would argue that it's not that bad, I would say it would make the metagame reallly boring
  • Would Blissey be balanced? It adds huge amounts of HP and is a special wall, but it allows physical mons to set-up
  • Would Shedinja be balanced?
    • It has garbage defenses and you're basically playing with the health of 5 mons, but isn't it such an easy switch in for free chip or set-up.
  • Would paraspam be annoying? Or maybe some cleric is always needed in the team?
(also if this has been done before can i pweaseee suggest another one i have in mind)
You can't specifically nerf things in the meta based on your choosing otherwise it would be a pet mod. A om is using a set of base rules and playing with them, no extra nerfing shit. If you think it's broken or unfair, ban it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)