Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
[B said:
Mix & Megamons[/B]

Questions:
Ban ubers as Item slot Pokemon?
Should a move or 2 be gained through the mega evolution?
Should weight be added?
Is this stupid lol.
As for the questions:
-Totally ban ubers as items. There's no need to have that big of stat distribution to normal OU mons. And, like regular Mix and Mega, would this then be an Uber based metagame? If so, then it really not make any sense to allow ubers as items.
-I think adding moves would muddle the concept too much. Just keep it like normal mega evolution.
-If you weigh pokemon differently, you run into problems with the OM rule of being universal to each change. Just keep the stat distribution equal for all pokemon.
-Well, the stat distribution is a little weird, and it comes off as a mash up of Inheritance and M&M. I also think the secondary type addition feels arbitrary. Regardless, I think there is potential in this OM, but it needs more identity to separate itself from normal M&M. The ideas i had to change it made it too similar to Inheritance though, so I can't offer too much help.

Anyways, here's a few sets with this meta's rules in mind

Tapu Koko @ Porygon Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Wild Charge / Taunt / Hidden Power [Ice]

New Base Stats: 70/141/108/140/100/160

With Adaptability and Electric Terrain up, Koko can be a monster. It's already going to be on of the fastest megas out there, and with this newfound power it'll be hard to handle. Hyper Voice is a nice stab as well to complement Electric.

Kyurem @ Magearna
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon / Iron Head
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Roost

New Base Stats: 125/161/128/173/128/116

As a Dragon/Steel type, bulk better than Arceus, and recovery with roost, Kyruem can be tough to kill. Furthermore, it can be a nightmare to switch into. Kyreum-Black also works fine here, even arguably better when holding Celesteela, Doublade (if not banned for No Guard), or even Registeel.

Other threats include Mew @ Tornadus/Klefk, Kartana @ Weavile/Hawlucha/Bewear, and Noivern @ Malamar/Ninetails. I'd do more but calcing but it takes awhile lol.

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Feel a little bad for dissing Symbiomons like that since I have an idea for a meta that is very similar to it.

Mix & Megamons
That’s right, it’s a mix & mega-type thing. Mix & Megamons allows you to put any fully-evolved Pokemon into another fully-evolved Pokemon's Item slot, as a mega stone. The mega stone stats are determined by the Item slot Pokemon's stats (except HP)/3, rounded down. The ability is the primary ability, and the type is of course the primary type. No moves/height/weight are gained. So if had a Pokemon that was holding a Victini as the mega stone, it would get +33 in all stats except HP, Victory Star, and gain the Psychic Typing.

And of course, you cant put something like Mega Metagross, Zygarde-Complete, or other formes like that in the moveslot. While not all broken, it also doesnt always make too much sense.

Threats 'n bans:
Wonder Guard, Huge/Pure Power, probably Shadow Tag/Arena Trap, all that normal ability banned fun stuff.

Really any Pokemon with exceptionally high stats can make for a good mega stone.

Questions:
Ban ubers as Item slot Pokemon?
Should a move or 2 be gained through the mega evolution?
Should weight be added?
Is this stupid lol.
Ban these things:
-Kyurem-Black. Holding Tapu Koko (to give only one example), it gets STAB Fusion Bolt boosted by Electric Terrain coming off of base 208 Attack.
-Kartana; it gets a massive boost to its potential with basically any Fighting-type in the item slot and will almost certainly prove broken.
-Shedinja. When holding something with Sturdy, it becomes a Big Problem.
-Landorus-Therian, because I hate it.
-Possibly Shell Smash, Quiver Dance and Shift Gear due to the possibility of having something like Bibarel in the item slot.
-Regigigas and Slaking; no explanation needed.
-Potentially Archeops, since it doesn't have the hugely crippling Ability holding it back anymore either.
-Ninjask as an item because of Speed Boost.
-Maybe Shuckle as an item. Sure, Bug is a generally undesirable type, but +76 to both defenses on pretty much anything with over base 130 HP is way too much to deal with, especially since Water/Bug (Alomomola/Wailord) is actually a kind of decent defensive typing.

I think this meta has some potential, though it seems very derivative.

Remnant

What if every Pokemon after switching got a taste of the previous pokemon’s presence? This metagame is where each pokemon’s first moveslot is taken up by the previous pokemon’s first moveslot. For instance, if a Kartana switched to a Togekiss, and Kartana’s first moveslot was taken by Leaf Blade, then Togekiss would have its Air Slash (supposing that’s its previous first moveslot) replaced by Leaf Blade. The Leaf Blade would then continually be passed around the team until a Pokemon faints (this bit could be edited, so if Togekiss switched back, Air Slash would replace Leaf Blade). Baton Pass would still be rediculously broken and would still be banned, and other options for banning include Victini, passing super powerful V-Creates to teammates, maybe Jirachi would be amazing with Doom Desire coming from heavy Special Attack stats. Kartana is also an option, for the same reason as STABmons banned it, Sunsteel Strike and Power Whips would be utterly broken. This metagame would involve lots of support set up sweepers (my favourite playstyle), and would encourage tactical play, deciding exactly moves you want to pass to which Pokemon, and being quickly able to set up a back up plan, if they can straight-up KO your support Pokemon. This metagame would include a variety of play styles, with strong moves being hand over to strong attacking stats, but certain stall Pokemon like Ferrothorn would gain invaluable stall tools, like for instance Pallosand handing reliable recovery to the rest of the team if needed. Overall, I think this would be a popular metagame which lots of peo

Questions for the community: what should be banned? Should V-create? What seems really powerful here? Should I have it so Togekiss instead of continually passing Leaf Blade passes Air Slash instead? Would anyone play this?

Normal OU clauses.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Remnant

What if every Pokemon after switching got a taste of the previous pokemon’s presence? This metagame is where each pokemon’s first moveslot is taken up by the previous pokemon’s first moveslot. For instance, if a Kartana switched to a Togekiss, and Kartana’s first moveslot was taken by Leaf Blade, then Togekiss would have its Air Slash (supposing that’s its previous first moveslot) replaced by Leaf Blade. The Leaf Blade would then continually be passed around the team until a Pokemon faints (this bit could be edited, so if Togekiss switched back, Air Slash would replace Leaf Blade). Baton Pass would still be rediculously broken and would still be banned, and other options for banning include Victini, passing super powerful V-Creates to teammates, maybe Jirachi would be amazing with Doom Desire coming from heavy Special Attack stats. Kartana is also an option, for the same reason as STABmons banned it, Sunsteel Strike and Power Whips would be utterly broken. This metagame would involve lots of support set up sweepers (my favourite playstyle), and would encourage tactical play, deciding exactly moves you want to pass to which Pokemon, and being quickly able to set up a back up plan, if they can straight-up KO your support Pokemon. This metagame would include a variety of play styles, with strong moves being hand over to strong attacking stats, but certain stall Pokemon like Ferrothorn would gain invaluable stall tools, like for instance Pallosand handing reliable recovery to the rest of the team if needed. Overall, I think this would be a popular metagame which lots of peo

Questions for the community: what should be banned? Should V-create? What seems really powerful here? Should I have it so Togekiss instead of continually passing Leaf Blade passes Air Slash instead? Would anyone play this?

Normal OU clauses.
My only problem is that the move passing seems hamfisted. Switching in competitive singles is a powerful mechanic, but a safe switch in needs to be calculated. What I’m saying is, there’s little room for say Ferrothorn to safely switch in and donate it’s Power Whip to Kartana, as that turn the opponent is most likely preparing to deal with Ferro anyways. You double down with your weaknesses with the Ferro/Kart combo, and for what, Power Whip? A slightly stronger leaf blade? These combos need to have some sort of synergy, and all the while be worth it. Otherwise the passed move can be useless on the wrong mon, and more of a liability. I get if it’s a chain of mons, like going to Togekiss first and then finally to Kart to pass the Power Whip, but then every middle man that doesn’t want to use Power Whip is basically working with only 3 moves.

There aren’t even THAT many OP moves that can be exploited in the game, and you still need the original users on that team to pass it. Sure, slow pivoting is somewhat safe, but it still isn’t 100% guaranteed.

Anyways, some moves worth passing I think are: Shell Smash (Minor with U Turn), Shift Gear (Magearna with volt), and Quiver Dance (Volc with U Turn) for offensive teams, and maybe some short lived combos like passing Overheat to Serp, and Roost to a mon with poor recovery like Heatran or Fini. Ultimately, stall can continuously pass something like Soft Boiled, and HO im sure can pass Shift Gear and even something like Thousand Arrows with the right team.

There’s also the problem where the first move may want to be both passed AND used when the user is already receiving. Like if Mag passes Shift Gear to Vic, it has to have a move it can afford not to have in its first slot if it’s trying to sweep. That works if that move is V Create, as later Vic can then pass it on and not worry about it when Shift Gear sweeping. But other mons and moves have to be considered for what can be passed, and what the set/mon can do without.

All in all, its just kind of a niche meta game, but I feel like most teams are gonna wish they still had their 4th move rather than the passed one. It isn’t easy building a team where every mon would want to use the same move, or you’ll get stuck with gimmick or stall teams.
Unless I’m missing something here, it just feels a bit like a mindgame, and something you need to build right for so you don’t mess yourself up.

(One idea is to instead make it so the first move slot is donated to the next mon in the team builder, so position 1 donates to 2, and so forth till 6 donates to 1. So, if you had a team of three mons like kart/koko/lele, kart donates its first move to koko, koko’s first move to lele, then lele back to kart. Could be a cool way to balance move donations and team compositions!
Edit: here’s a team that abuses these mechanics, with things like Shift Gear Zygarde, Toxic Spikes lead Lando, Close Combat protean Gren and more:

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast

Zygarde @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Arm Thrust
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Gunk Shot

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Mamoswine @ Icium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Last edited:
V-Create Mega Char X seems pretty cool too, and Victini can easily pass it with U-Turn. It can also give it to Serperior, letting it get a spammable 180 BP move that raises speed and both defenses. Serperior is also able to pass either Leaf Storm to Char or Victini, or Glare, to be annoying af. And Char can pass eq to both.

My only problem is that the move passing seems hamfisted. Switching in competitive singles is a powerful mechanic, but a safe switch in needs to be calculated. What I’m saying is, there’s little room for say Ferrothorn to safely switch in and donate it’s Power Whip to Kartana, as that turn the opponent is most likely preparing to deal with Ferro anyways. You double down with your weaknesses with the Ferro/Kart combo, and for what, Power Whip? A slightly stronger leaf blade? These combos need to have some sort of synergy, and all the while be worth it. Otherwise the passed move can be useless on the wrong mon, and more of a liability. I get if it’s a chain of mons, like going to Togekiss first and then finally to Kart to pass the Power Whip, but then every middle man that doesn’t want to use Power Whip is basically working with only 3 moves.

There aren’t even THAT many OP moves that can be exploited in the game, and you still need the original users on that team to pass it. Sure, slow pivoting is somewhat safe, but it still isn’t 100% guaranteed.

Anyways, some moves worth passing I think are: Shell Smash (Minor with U Turn), Shift Gear (Magearna with volt), and Quiver Dance (Volc with U Turn) for offensive teams, and maybe some short lived combos like passing Overheat to Serp, and Roost to a mon with poor recovery like Heatran or Fini. Ultimately, stall can continuously pass something like Soft Boiled, and HO im sure can pass Shift Gear and even something like Thousand Arrows with the right team.

There’s also the problem where the first move may want to be both passed AND used when the user is already receiving. Like if Mag passes Shift Gear to Vic, it has to have a move it can afford not to have in its first slot if it’s trying to sweep. That works if that move is V Create, as later Vic can then pass it on and not worry about it when Shift Gear sweeping. But other mons and moves have to be considered for what can be passed, and what the set/mon can do without.

All in all, its just kind of a niche meta game, but I feel like most teams are gonna wish they still had their 4th move rather than the passed one. It isn’t easy building a team where every mon would want to use the same move, or you’ll get stuck with gimmick or stall teams.
Unless I’m missing something here, it just feels a bit like a mindgame, and something you need to build right for so you don’t mess yourself up.

(One idea is to instead make it so the first move slot is donated to the next mon in the team builder, so position 1 donates to 2, and so forth till 6 donates to 1. So, if you had a team of three mons like kart/koko/lele, kart donates its first move to koko, koko’s first move to lele, then lele back to kart. Could be a cool way to balance move donations and team compositions!
Edit: here’s a team that abuses these mechanics, with things like Shift Gear Zygarde, Toxic Spikes lead Lando, Close Combat protean Gren and more:
Hey thanks, I mean when you switch, not pivot, you gain the move. I like your idea at the end.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
V-Create Mega Char X seems pretty cool too, and Victini can easily pass it with U-Turn. It can also give it to Serperior, letting it get a spammable 180 BP move that raises speed and both defenses. Serperior is also able to pass either Leaf Storm to Char or Victini, or Glare, to be annoying af. And Char can pass eq to both.
Remember though that if Vic is passing V create, it can only use V Create itself when its at the start of the chain. Not the worst, but if mon gets sacked and another should come in just for the sake of the game, Vic can easily be down its signature attack.
Same with Serp passing Leaf Storm. That would mean Serp can’t have V Create and Leaf Storm on the same set, because the first move competes with both of them. Gotta be careful with EQ on Zard as well.
I think Serp can pass glare and Zard can pass roost. That way, they aren’t loosing crucial attacks, and can still use these status moves if needed when they start the chain again.

Hey thanks, I mean when you switch, not pivot, you gain the move. I like your idea at the end.
When I was talking about pivoting, I meant switching into the pivot is all. The “pivot” is the actual mon thats being switched in. Defensive and offensive picots are crucial in your metagame to safely afford the switch in and then take advantage of the new move they get in the chain.

Remember though that if Vic is passing V create, it can only use V Create itself when its at the start of the chain. Not the worst, but if mon gets sacked and another should come in just for the sake of the game, Vic can easily be down its signature attack.
Same with Serp passing Leaf Storm. That would mean Serp can’t have V Create and Leaf Storm on the same set, because the first move competes with both of them. Gotta be careful with EQ on Zard as well.
I think Serp can pass glare and Zard can pass roost. That way, they aren’t loosing crucial attacks, and can still use these status moves if needed when they start the chain again.

When I was talking about pivoting, I meant switching into the pivot is all. The “pivot” is the actual mon thats being switched in. Defensive and offensive picots are crucial in your metagame to safely afford the switch in and then take advantage of the new move they get in the chain.
Hang on, so why is everyone assuming that U-Turn or Volt-Swithc or Parting Shot must be used to pass a move? Also, I’m changing it so there’s no chain, it’s just passing its original first move. Pivoting with U-Turn etc breaks it so a Pokemon can keep their original move.

Also, should I have this as Uber clauses to make there be more valuable moves to be passed? (Sunsteel, Photon, Moongeist, Psystrike, Bolt Strike, etc, etc).

Yeah so I haven’t responded to your post fully, but who says that Ferrothorn has to pass to Kartana, that combo wouldn’t be very effective at all, there are a lot better ones out there. Your point about Pokemon having to have vague synergy would (in my opinion) make it more fun to play and build for, albeit slightly harder.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Hang on, so why is everyone assuming that U-Turn or Volt-Swithc or Parting Shot must be used to pass a move? Also, I’m changing it so there’s no chain, it’s just passing its original first move. Pivoting with U-Turn etc breaks it so a Pokemon can keep their original move.

Also, should I have this as Uber clauses to make there be more valuable moves to be passed? (Sunsteel, Photon, Moongeist, Psystrike, Bolt Strike, etc, etc).
Just because a slower U-Turn or Volt Switch and especially parting shot make it easier to safely switch out. They aren’t needed for the mechanics for the meta, they’re just good.
We know normal switching would work too, but U-Turn and co could work even better.

No chain? U-Turn now breaks it? I’m confused, how do they keep the original attack but also inherent one?

Don’t make an uber clause, not worth it. If you want crazier attacks, deal with Smeargal and its frailness.

Edit: Your original post mentioned that about Ferrothorn passing Power Whip to Kart, and that’s why I wanted to debunk that strat to show the limitations for what would be viable then. And yea, more synergy is needed for sure.

Just because a slower U-Turn or Volt Switch and especially parting shot make it easier to safely switch out. They aren’t needed for the mechanics for the meta, they’re just good.
We know normal switching would work too, but U-Turn and co could work even better.

No chain? U-Turn now breaks it? I’m confused, how do they keep the original attack but also inherent one?

Don’t make an uber clause, not worth it. If you want crazier attacks, deal with Smeargal and its frailness.
So, I’ve presented a lot of ideas about how this idea could be improved, now what do you think? What should be the precise mechanics. What would make it most popular? What would people play?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
So, I’ve presented a lot of ideas about how this idea could be improved, now what do you think? What should be the precise mechanics. What would make it most popular? What would people play?
^One more “what” you should add to that list is “what will get my meta accepted by the council?” That’s a big issue, as even if you get a small fan base, your meta has to have an organized premise and one that is not too similar to past OMs. Your biggest hurdle is just being accepted in the first place.

On that note, movepool passing metas do have a decent amount of representation, but A good bet for originality is to make the passing dynamic; so in battle, like you’re suggesting. How can that be done? Well, give it some more thought. I’m not opposed to the “first move donated when switching” idea, but it comes off both tame and frustrating. You could try something crazier, that always bings in fans. To me, its better for a meta to have a few bans but to have a ton of abusable mechanics than to be tame and not too exciting. OMs always peak interest when you can succeed by exploring mechanics that are normally useless or unheard of in game. Thats why tropes like “Aerilate Boomburst Noivern” start; from the multiple OMs that allow this crazy combo.

So maybe try exploring what more a “remnant” can pass. Idk, maybe add the first move as a fith move, or have the entire 4 moves be passed, but they only stay the first turn like Fake Out. Think about it for a bit.

Ok.
Remnant, revised.

Alright. Premise: when switching, the secondary typing and first moveslot replaces that of the Pokemon before. Any moves that affects terrain, weather causes protection, etc, last for an extra 3 turns when switched (not sure about this, it might make screens and terrain broken) But, if the secondary typing is the same as the Pokemon before, then the Pokemon that’s getting switched into loses it’s secondary typing. If the first moveslots are the same, then it stays the same. This effect can not be passed with pivoting. If a Pokemon does not have a secondary typing, nothing happens.

Questions for the community: would this get accepted? What would we need to consider for a ban? Would anyone plays this?

OU clauses.

Ok.
Remnant, revised.

Alright. Premise: when switching, the secondary typing and first moveslot replaces that of the Pokemon before. Any moves that affects terrain, weather causes protection, etc, last for an extra 3 turns when switched (not sure about this, it might make screens and terrain broken) But, if the secondary typing is the same as the Pokemon before, then the Pokemon that’s getting switched into loses it’s secondary typing. If the first moveslots are the same, then it stays the same. This effect can not be passed with pivoting. If a Pokemon does not have a secondary typing, nothing happens.

Questions for the community: would this get accepted? What would we need to consider for a ban? Would anyone plays this?

OU clauses.
You made it worse qwq

Idea, what about a metagame where you can choose one of your moves (has to be legal) and change its type! I can think of a few gems...

Fire type Freeze Dry to hit Water super effective!
Make moves Normal type to get free ate boosts!
Ice type Leaf Storm or Rock type Dragon Pulse! Nice ol Serperior buffs huh?

You get the idea

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Idea, what about a metagame where you can choose one of your moves (has to be legal) and change its type! I can think of a few gems...

Fire type Freeze Dry to hit Water super effective!
Make moves Normal type to get free ate boosts!
Ice type Leaf Storm or Rock type Dragon Pulse! Nice ol Serperior buffs huh?

You get the idea
Ok, well, uh, how are you going to dictate what changes the type?

The user's primary type? Maybe correlating with the elemental plates? And/or Z moves?
And does it affect all moves, or maybe just the one in the first moveslot?

Also, is it me or does this sound like a meta we've had before?

I say that the elemental plates or z moves when held will change the type of the move in the first moveslot to match the plate. The plates can still give the normal 20% buff to the corresponding type, and z moves still function like normal.

Note that this method:
1. Limits the moves affected to only the first move. Interpretations where multiple moves are affected and maybe with multiple type changes are not legal here.
2. Limits the item slot. You can't both have a valuable item like Leftovers or Choice Scarf and have a unique typed move.

Overall threats to watch in this method:
1. Every mon can potentially have a 102 bp physical attack of any type thanks to Return/Frustration
2. Priority of all types.
3. Pursuit can trap mons and be super effective to anything.
4. Boomburst, Double Edge, V Create, and High Jump Kick are all niche but can change type for high powered coverage
5. Freeze Dry like you said can be any type, and yes can match well with other Water resists like Fire and Water.
6. While each team only gets one Z move user, it can be devastating thanks to the newly typed attack.
7. This meta favors offense, and stall doesn't get much if anything to abuse. Maybe a Thunder Wave that hits Ground types? Yeah, there isn't much here for true stall

Just a few sets:

Serperior @ Flame Plate
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Why use Dragon Pulse when Energy Ball is stronger and can lower special defense? Anyways, Fire/Ground coverage is a blessing and Serp can get rid of most of its type based checks. Still is threatened offensively and by huge special walls like Pex and Chansey.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamanet Nature
- Last Resort / Return
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough

Might be a stretch, but the new Ghostium Z improvment for Last Resort makes it incredible:
+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Ferrothorn: 288-339 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 313-369 (78.8 - 92.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Not to mention it doesn't take too much set up to just use Last Resort normally. If it's too much of a gimmick, there's always Return. A strong Ghost STAB is what Mimkyu needs no doubt.

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Taunt

This is essentially the suggested Steelium Z set, but it alows Heatran to have Lava Plume, Magma Storm, and Fire/Steel STAB coverage all in only 2 moves instead of 3. Magma Storm also helps buff the power of Corkscrew Crash, and can be a killer on mons like Clef or Lele.

Greninja @ Earth Plate
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-Turn / Low Kick

A great physical attacker, Protean Gren can really become anything it wants. I say go with Ground, as Groundium Z sets with Dig are already popular to hit assvest Mag or Pex.

Hope I didn't invade your idea too much, just figured I'd lay a possibility out for ya considering you didn't give too many parameters.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Full Effect Role Compendium:

Here is a speculative Role Compendium for my Full Effect meta, based of OU's version. Because it's so speculative, it does lean on the generous side for being inclusive to many mons that may/may not work out.

(Pokemon seperated by the " | " line are considered niche/unlikely to be viable, but may have a chance)

Megas:
|

Physical Wall Breakers: Swords Dance:
|

Choice Band:
|

All Out Attacker:
|
Dragon Dance:
|

Liechi Berry:
|

Ability with x1.5 to x1.25 Attack Buff:
|
(x2 attack)
Ability with x1.5 Attack Buf for a Single Type:
|

Special Wall Breakers: Calm Mind:
|

Nasty Plot / Tail Glow:
|

Growth: |

Quiver Dance:

Choice Specs:
|

All Out Attacker:
|

Petaya Berry:
|

Ability with x1.5 to x1.25 Special Attack Buff:
|

Ability with x1.5 Attack Buff for a Single Type:
|

Mixed Wall Breakers:
|

Stall Breakers: Taunt Based:
|

Setup Based:
|

Walls: Physical:
|

Special:
|

Mixed:
|

Swallow:
|

Rain Dish / Ice Body: |

Ability that Reduces All Damage by 3/4ths:
|

Hydration with Rest:
|

Rough Skin / Iron Barbs / Aftermath:
|

Wish Support:
|

Heal Bell:
|

Healing Wish:
|

Pivots:
Offensive U-Turn:
|

Offensive Volt Switch:
|

Defensive U-Turn:
|

Defensive Volt Switch:
|

Defensive Pivot:
|

Nightmare Abuse: Nightmare :
|

Nightmare + Trapping:
|

Hazards: Stealth Rock:
|

Spikes:
|

Toxic Spikes:
|

Sticky Web:
|

Suicide Leads:
|

Rapid Spin:
|

Defog:
|

Choice Scarf: <101 base speed:
|

>101 base speed:
|

Salac Berry:
No Set Up:
|

Swords Dance / Attack Raising Sweepers: :
|

Nasty Plot / Special Attack Raising Sweepers:
|

Legal x2 Speed Ability:
|

Quick Feet:
|

Priority:
Prankster All out Attackers:
|

Prankster Set Up Sweepers:
|

Sucker Punch:
|

Swords Dance / Belly Drum / Dragon Dance with Priority:
|

Choice Band Priority:
|

Special Priority:
|

Custap Berry Abuse:
|

This of course isn't everything, and maybe I'll update it more in the future. Let me know what everyone thinks, and what I'm forgetting! Ask me if you don't get why a mon is up here as well.

Edit: Unbanned Surge Surfer and Slush Rush after some discussion, due to the abusers of the abilities being manageable.

Last edited:
Category Cup: Common moves that do not have a physical or special equivalent are given one. Examples include a physical Hidden Power, special Return / Frustration, special Quick Attack, etc. The moves remain the same type, so Return's special equivalent is Normal-type. Only "common" moves (which have yet to be determined) are used, as to prevent Physical Moongeist Beam, Special Extremespeed, Special Thousand Arrows, and other busted stuff.

Fixed Split: The physical / special split, which occurred at the beginning of gen 4, is fixed as if the split never happened. Moves now have no category and moves of each type are not assigned to physical or special as in the past. Attack / Special Attack and Defense / Special Defense are changed so only the higher of the two are used for damage calculations. Stat changes such as Intimidate and Calm Mind are applied the same way.

Ex: Alakazam uses Fire Punch against a Scizor. Zam uses Special Attack to calculate the damage dealt and Scizor uses Defense to calculate the damage received.

Would mons like Chansey, Mega Aggron, Kyurem-Black (physical damage on Ice Beam and coverage), and Kartana (Air Slash, Vacuum Wave) be broken? Possibly.

Formmons
Premise:
Pokémon can change form by placing a forme changing ability Ability in their Ability slot.
This includes every form changing ability the game has to offer. These include:
Battle Bond - Upon KO, gains +50 Atk/Spa, +10 Spe
Disguise - Takes no damage from first hit of the game. May be banned.
Flower Gift - In Sunny Weather, atk/def 1.5x
Forecast - Type changes in weather
Multitype - Type changes according to held Plate
Power Construct (Yeah banned), at end of turn, if HP is below half, +108 HP, +10 Spa, -10 Spe
RKS System - Type changes according to held Memory
Schooling (Not banned, but wtf) - It’s a big calc, but it is somewhere in the FE thread. Just for now i know it sucks.
Shields Down - At the end of turn, if HP is below half, switches atk/def & spa/spd, +60 Spe. May be Banned
Stance Change (Now includes Protect & King’s Shield) - Upon attacking, switch atk/def and spa/spd. Changes back upon protect and king’s shield.
Zen Mode - At start of turn, if HP is below half, switches atk/spa, -40 Spe, +50 def/spd
Threats:
Disguise Volcarona, Garchomp, etc.
Heat Rock Sunny Day Flower Gift Arcanine?
Stance Change with any defensive mon, including Chansey/Blissey, Toxapex, Stakataka, etc.
Lol, Shields Down Sash Onix/Cloyster.

Questions:
Should it be items giving the forme changing abilities, or abilities?
What’s broken as heck.

Schooling Slaking: 150/280 (255)/210/210/175/90, and its ability slot doesn't give a drawback as long as you keep it above 25% health. Oh, and it still has access to Slack Off in this process.

Even without Schooling ridiculousness, putting abilities onto Slaking and Regigigas rarely ends well.

I’m trying to go by the FE changes, meaning Wishiwashi goes from School to Solo, making it actually worse.

Ok and that is this

To find the stats of Solo form, do the following:
  • Multiply Attack by 1/7
  • Multiply Defense by 1/6
  • Multiply Special Attack and Special Defense by 1/5
  • add 10 points to speed
  • round all stats down when applicable

If we can’t do this then yeah Schooling is banned.
EDIT: actually too, could Power Construct (50 -> 100) be unbanned? I immediatly banned it at the sight of +108 HP, but I think it could be OK depending on what has it.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Formmons
Premise:
Pokémon can change form by placing a forme changing ability Ability in their Ability slot.
This includes every form changing ability the game has to offer. These include:
Battle Bond - Upon KO, gains +50 Atk/Spa, +10 Spe
Disguise - Takes no damage from first hit of the game. May be banned.
Flower Gift - In Sunny Weather, atk/def 1.5x
Forecast - Type changes in weather
Multitype - Type changes according to held Plate
Power Construct (Yeah banned), at end of turn, if HP is below half, +108 HP, +10 Spa, -10 Spe
RKS System - Type changes according to held Memory
Schooling (Not banned, but wtf) - It’s a big calc, but it is somewhere in the FE thread. Just for now i know it sucks.
Shields Down - At the end of turn, if HP is below half, switches atk/def & spa/spd, +60 Spe. May be Banned
Stance Change (Now includes Protect & King’s Shield) - Upon attacking, switch atk/def and spa/spd. Changes back upon protect and king’s shield.
Zen Mode - At start of turn, if HP is below half, switches atk/spa, -40 Spe, +50 def/spd
Threats:
Disguise Volcarona, Garchomp, etc.
Heat Rock Sunny Day Flower Gift Arcanine?
Stance Change with any defensive mon, including Chansey/Blissey, Toxapex, Stakataka, etc.
Lol, Shields Down Sash Onix/Cloyster.

Questions:
Should it be items giving the forme changing abilities, or abilities?
What’s broken as heck.
Dude you got a lot of inconsistencies with this meta:
1. Why do you declare some stat changes in froms as simple base increases, while others are multipliers or switches? Like Battle Bond increasing attack and special attack by 50 makes sence, but then you say an an ability like Shields Down switches base stats instead of adding/subtracting? And that multiplying you’re doing for schooling is way out of line as well.
2. Minor gripe, but remember that Arceus can also switch type by holding Z moves. Also, how would this work; would they become monotype in the plate they’re holding, or does only the primary type now change?
3.Protect now affecting Sheilds Down is pet mod territory. I know you’re just trying to make the Aegislash affect passable to other mons, but anytime you mess with the mechanics for such a small, specific case, it breaks the rules for OMs. Changes need to be broad, and every new stipulation you add to the premise, the more suspicious it becomes.
4. How would megas work? Could you get the battle bond buffs, then mega evolve and get the stat buffs from the mega as well?
5. With this, watch out for negative or too high of values. Like Zen Mode Shuckle should be illegal cause the defense stats go past the maximum, and the speed goes below 1.
5. Yes, ban Power Construct and Disguise.
-Power Construct can make a mon with not the best HP gain it all back, and be totally tanky. Mons like Celesteela, Jirachi, Magearna, and even Rotom W all can easily get into the Power Construct range, gain the massive HP and tank anything. And even mons like Lando can use to it to double dance and get recovery thanks to the HP buff. Way too crazy.
-Disguise is only not broken because Mimikyu is weak and niche. Give it to a mon like Volc, it can gurantee the first Quiver Dance, if not seconds more.
6. Shields Down also makes you immune to status. Whether you go with the stat swapping or subtracting/additing, this thing is likely broken too.

Clear up some of these discrepancies and I’d love to build for it.

just my thoughts

-Stats would probably cap at 255 or 1 like in Mix and Mega
-Shields down: Immune to status above half hp, when at hp is at or below 50%, +40 Atk/SpA, +60 Spe, -40 Def/SpD
-Stance Change: upon using an attack move, +100 Atk/SpA, -100 Def/SpD
-Zen Mode: When hp is at or below 50%, -110 Atk, +50 Def/SpD, +110 SpA, -40 Spe (also maybe like in mix and mega the pokemon's secondary type would become psychic?)
-Multitype, RKS System, and Forecast would probably remove the original type and make the pokemon just the new type.
-Schooling you can have two options: +120 Atk, +110 Def/SpD, +115 SpA, -10 Spe until at or below 25% hp (increase then base) ; -120 Atk, -110 Def/SpD, -115 SpA, +10 Spe when at or below 25% HP (base then decrease)
- Megas would probably just add to the base forms stats and remove the form change stats, like other form changes do in M&M
- Meloetta would be pretty wonky though

Family Bond
Metagame premise: If the team include an active Pokemon from the same evolution line in the team, the Pokemon can hit twice, with the second hit having 50% less power than the first one. This effect doesn't stack, meaning that using an Eeveelution team only allows hit two times instead of six.

Here are some examples of how it will work:
  • Torracat + Incineroar: Hit twice
  • Fainted Smoochum + Jynx: Hit once
  • Slowbro + Slowking: Hit twice
  • Sylveon + Espseon + Jolteon: Hit twice

Banlist:
OU clause
Seismic Toss
Night Shade
Psywave
Super Fang
Power-up Punch

(Note: Nature's Madness is not banned since it's restricted to the Tapu and Smeargle.)

Unban:
Kangaskhanite

Potential Ban and threat:
While not broken per se, Porygon2 and Porygon-Z could be considered too over-centralization in this format. That's about it as for now.

Questions to the community:
Any other threats you can think of?
Should Kangaskhanite remain banned?

Family Bond
Metagame premise: If the team include an active Pokemon from the same evolution line in the team, the Pokemon can hit twice, with the second hit having 50% less power than the first one. This effect doesn't stack, meaning that using an Eeveelution team only allows hit two times instead of six.

Here are some examples of how it will work:
  • Torracat + Incineroar: Hit twice
  • Fainted Smoochum + Jynx: Hit once
  • Slowbro + Slowking: Hit twice
  • Sylveon + Espseon + Jolteon: Hit twice

Banlist:
OU clause
Seismic Toss
Night Shade
Psywave
Super Fang
Power-up Punch

(Note: Nature's Madness is not banned since it's restricted to the Tapu and Smeargle.)

Unban:
Kangaskhanite

Potential Ban and threat:
While not broken per se, Porygon2 and Porygon-Z could be considered too over-centralization in this format. That's about it as for now.

Questions to the community:
Any other threats you can think of?
Should Kangaskhanite remain banned?

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Struggle Bug
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxicx

Fierty Dance hitting twice allows for more opportunities for Special Attack boosts. Additionally, Struggle Bug hitting twice lowers the opponent's Special Attack by 2 stages. Obviously requires entry hazard removal to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)