Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did my research, there’s a gen6 meta called Recyclables with pretty much the exact same premise.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/recyclables.3581818/

I should really check out more gen6 metas! I wish the current OM Index and Info thread mentioned them, so people don’t accidently repeat them.
Actually, i am trying to do that! I would need some help of course but i am trying to make a thread mentioning all current OMs, and where to play them

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
So there's an idea I've had for a while for a metagame, it's not a super exciting meta that makes huge changes to how the game works, but something I think would be worth trying out to see how it goes. I'm not super satisfied with the name, but my metagame idea is:

RNGLess
Premise: To reduce the influence of randomness in battles. What this means in particular would be discussed by the community to determine what is and is not acceptable randomness.
Potential bans and threats: None, this would be based on OU and wouldn't make any sweeping changes to how the game works right out of the gate and most likely would never introduce a change that drastically improves the power of any Pokemon.
Questions for the community: The main thing I would like to know is just how interested people would be in this idea, I'm not really interested right now in people's specific ideas for how to remove RNG, this is something I think would be more appropriate to discuss when/if this becomes a thing.

I discussed this a bit with G-Luke the other day and he says that this would have to be a pet mod to start out with and maybe it could be an OM if a short, simple set of rules could be established.

So there's an idea I've had for a while for a metagame, it's not a super exciting meta that makes huge changes to how the game works, but something I think would be worth trying out to see how it goes. I'm not super satisfied with the name, but my metagame idea is:

RNGLess
Premise: To reduce the influence of randomness in battles. What this means in particular would be discussed by the community to determine what is and is not acceptable randomness.
Potential bans and threats: None, this would be based on OU and wouldn't make any sweeping changes to how the game works right out of the gate and most likely would never introduce a change that drastically improves the power of any Pokemon.
Questions for the community: The main thing I would like to know is just how interested people would be in this idea, I'm not really interested right now in people's specific ideas for how to remove RNG, this is something I think would be more appropriate to discuss when/if this becomes a thing.

I discussed this a bit with G-Luke the other day and he says that this would have to be a pet mod to start out with and maybe it could be an OM if a short, simple set of rules could be established.
haxmons exists somewhere

EDIT: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/haxmons-playable-on-aqua.3500287/

thats old though, so very outdated

another edit: imo though, if its codable, add things like psywave always hits 1.5x, max damage rolls every time, etc, magnitude always hits 150, etc.

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
haxmons exists somewhere

EDIT: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/haxmons-playable-on-aqua.3500287/

thats old though, so very outdated

another edit: imo though, if its codable, add things like psywave always hits 1.5x, max damage rolls every time, etc, magnitude always hits 150, etc.
I did see that, I think the way they approached dealing with hax is very heavy handed and shakes the game up too much. Everything doing 50% more damage and ignoring defense boosts seems like it would lead to a much more offensive meta. My goal would be to reduce the random aspects without significantly affecting the game as a whole.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
I did see that, I think the way they approached dealing with hax is very heavy handed and shakes the game up too much. Everything doing 50% more damage and ignoring defense boosts seems like it would lead to a much more offensive meta. My goal would be to reduce the random aspects without significantly affecting the game as a whole.
Changing the meta like this is probably going to be a pet mod rather than an OM, sadly. Your best bet is to stick with one or two mechanics, like say accuracy and secondary effects, and go from there.

You can say that every moves becomes perfectly accurate and loses their chance based secondary effects, but loses/gains BP for each 5% trade off. So Rock Slide would be perfectly accurate and no flinch chance, and then would lose 10 bp cause accuracy, but then +30 bp for the loss of flinch. So, a new total bp of 95.

Not saying this is how you’d do it, but just an option

Changing the meta like this is probably going to be a pet mod rather than an OM, sadly. Your best bet is to stick with one or two mechanics, like say accuracy and secondary effects, and go from there.

You can say that every moves becomes perfectly accurate and loses their chance based secondary effects, but loses/gains BP for each 5% trade off. So Rock Slide would be perfectly accurate and no flinch chance, and then would lose 10 bp cause accuracy, but then +30 bp for the loss of flinch. So, a new total bp of 95.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

If I'm understanding you correctly, Fiery Dance now has 80+50=130 base power, and Bug Buzz has 90+10=100 base power.

Also, Dynamic Punch and Inferno now have 100-50+100=150 base power, while Zap Cannon has 120-50+100=170 base power.

EDIT: How would Sheer Force and No Guard interact with these changes?

EDIT 2: Forget Bug Buzz on Volcarona. Struggle Bug is where it's at. 50+100=150 base power.

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping

I'm fine with this being a Pet Mod if it needs to be, but like I said in my first post, my eventual goal would be to come up with a small set of rules that would hopefully allow it to become a regular OM. I think it would be beneficial though not to start out with specific rules in place, but with a blank slate where changes are made after discussing solutions for a given issue and their potential outcomes.

I'm fine with this being a Pet Mod if it needs to be, but like I said in my first post, my eventual goal would be to come up with a small set of rules that would hopefully allow it to become a regular OM. I think it would be beneficial though not to start out with specific rules in place, but with a blank slate where changes are made after discussing solutions for a given issue and their potential outcomes.
The problem with an OM that doesn't "significantly affect the game as a whole" is that it's kinda boring. It doesn't grab people's interests and spark them to start theorycrafting cool sets. The idea Ho3nConfirm3d came up with did just that. After an evening of looking through moves affected by Sheer Force, I think a meta where moves like Rock Tomb, Low Sweep, Mud Slap, and Fake Out trade their secondary effects for huge boosts in power sounds interesting.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
The problem with an OM that doesn't "significantly affect the game as a whole" is that it's kinda boring. It doesn't grab people's interests and spark them to start theorycrafting cool sets. The idea Ho3nConfirm3d came up with did just that. After an evening of looking through moves affected by Sheer Force, I think a meta where moves like Rock Tomb, Low Sweep, Mud Slap, and Fake Out trade their secondary effects for huge boosts in power sounds interesting.
"Hax" is probably the most common complaint about this game, I don't think the meta would need to make big flashy changes for people to be interested in playing.

Last edited:
An idea for a meta that just popped randomly into my head.

Morph Mons (better name pending)

Concept: First 5 Pokemon in your party are "combined" to create a new sixth member. It's based on the position of your other 5 Pokemon in the party.

1st - Typing
2nd - Ability
3rd - Attack, SpAttack, Speed
4th - HP, Defense, SpDef
5th - Movepool (movepool limitations on the original Pokemon would still apply)

Ex.

1st Slot -Tapu Bulu
2nd Slot - Magnezone
3rd Slot - Diancie
4th Slot - Rotom-W
5th Slot - Landorus

6th Member would be a Grass/Fairy (Tapu Bulu) with Magnet Pull (Magnezone), stat spread of 50/100/107/100/107/50 (Diancie + Rotom-W) and could learn anything from Landorus's movepool.

Mega Pokemon wouldn't affect anything morphed into the new Pokemon, only the base form. (ex. Mega Diancie's Attack/SpAttack/Speed would not be given to the morphed Pokemon, only Base Diancie's would apply. Same goes for Typing and Ability).

Questions:

1. How should bans of clearly broken things (ex. morphing Huge/Pure Power + huge Attack stat together) be handled? Ban the morphers themselves (ex. Azumarill, Mega-Medicham, anything else with Huge/Pure Power) or just ban the combination?

2. Is this too similar to things like Inheritance/Follow the Leader/Godly Gift/etc.?

3. Is this codeable? My idea was that in the teambuilder you can pick any random Pokemon you want for the sixth slot and that would be the appearance of the morphed Pokemon. From there you would choose what item and moves you want to give to the new Pokemon.

An idea for a meta that just popped randomly into my head.

Morph Mons (better name pending)

Concept: First 5 Pokemon in your party are "combined" to create a new sixth member. It's based on the position of your other 5 Pokemon in the party.

1st - Typing
2nd - Ability
3rd - Attack, SpAttack, Speed
4th - HP, Defense, SpDef
5th - Movepool (movepool limitations on the original Pokemon would still apply)

Ex.

1st Slot -Tapu Bulu
2nd Slot - Magnezone
3rd Slot - Diancie
4th Slot - Rotom-W
5th Slot - Landorus

6th Member would be a Grass/Fairy (Tapu Bulu) with Magnet Pull (Magnezone), stat spread of 50/100/107/100/107/50 (Diancie + Rotom-W) and could learn anything from Landorus's movepool.

Mega Pokemon wouldn't affect anything morphed into the new Pokemon, only the base form. (ex. Mega Diancie's Attack/SpAttack/Speed would not be given to the morphed Pokemon, only Base Diancie's would apply. Same goes for Typing and Ability).

Questions:

1. How should bans of clearly broken things (ex. morphing Huge/Pure Power + huge Attack stat together) be handled? Ban the morphers themselves (ex. Azumarill, Mega-Medicham, anything else with Huge/Pure Power) or just ban the combination?

2. Is this too similar to things like Inheritance/Follow the Leader/Godly Gift/etc.?

3. Is this codeable? My idea was that in the teambuilder you can pick any random Pokemon you want for the sixth slot and that would be the appearance of the morphed Pokemon. From there you would choose what item and moves you want to give to the new Pokemon.
This sounds awfully similar to Chimera.

This sounds awfully similar to Chimera.
You're right, I honestly didn't even see Chimera when I was looking through current metas / assumed it would be completely different since it's based on 1v1. They're practically the same and it probably applies the concept a lot cleaner since it's only 1v1. Nevermind then.

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Best Foot Forward (any name ideas?)

The premise of Best Foot Forward is fairly simple: Pokemon can replace one of their stats with their best stat, but by doing so they give up their held item. (HP is excluded) For example, in normal play, Stakataka has 211 Defense and 13 Speed. By giving up its held item, Stakataka could boost its Speed stat to 211.

Banlist: OU banlist. Nothing else for now, but we'll see what happens if it becomes playable.

Threatlist (some of these may become bans, but I'm reluctant to ban things before seeing what they are really like):

Kartana @ Speed
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike / Knock Off / Swords Dance / whatever

Kartana has 181 speed now. This is even better than Scarf Kartana.
You could also run Bulky Kartana, with 181 Special Defense.

Blissey @ Defense
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
Blissey is bulky all around.

Kyurem-Black @ Special Attack
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power
Kyurem-B's Attack stat is finally useful.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Speed
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
This sounds crazy. It's sort of like a bulky Mega Alakazam with Nasty Plot and 770 BST.
If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Last edited:

The premise of Best Foot Forward is fairly simple: Pokemon can replace one of their stats with their best stat, but by doing so they give up their held item. (HP is excluded) For example, in normal play, Stakataka has 211 Defense and 13 Speed. By giving up its held item, Stakataka could boost its Speed stat to 211.

Banlist: OU banlist. Nothing else for now, but we'll see what happens if it becomes playable.

Threatlist (some of these may become bans, but I'm reluctant to ban things before seeing what they are really like):

Kartana @ Speed
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Blissey @ Defense
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power

Volcarona @ Defense
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Now Volc can actually set up on physical attackers.

Stakataka @ Attack
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Superpower / Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room

Making Stakataka fast is scary, but it loses some power by trading Gyro Ball for Heavy Slam.

Shuckle @ Speed
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Final Gambit

The problem with Shuckle as a suicide lead is that its slow speed makes it exploitable. Now it's the fastest suicide lead around.

Shuckle @ Attack
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Shell Smash

Alternatively, you can make Shuckle monstrously strong, although it's still really slow.

Last edited:

Kartana @ Speed
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Blissey @ Defense
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power

Min-Max Mons? lol

Some ideas, with the highest stat listed:
  • Rampardos @ Speed Attack 165
  • Guzzlord @ Attack / Defense / Special Defense HP 223
  • Alomomola @ Defense / Special Defense HP 165
  • Snorlax @ Defense / Speed HP 160
  • Hariyama @ Defense / Special Defense / Speed HP 144
  • Hoopa-Unbound @ Speed Special Attack 170
  • Landorus-Therian @ Defense / Special Defense / Speed Attack 145
  • Rhyperior @ Special Defense / Speed Attack 140
  • Conkeldurr @ Special Defense / Speed Attack 140
Since this can go on forever I'm just going to list some threats and be less specific:

Buzzwole, Salamence, Metagross, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Crabominable, Dhelmise, Breloom, Garchomp, Mamoswine, [insert Tapu], Terrakion, Keldeo, Blacephalon, Gyarados, Bisharp, Bewear, Golisopod, Crawdaunt, Steelix, Avalugg, Cloyster, Toxapex, Registeel, Cofagrigus, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Pyukumuku, Kommo-o, Zygarde, Xurkitree, Chandelure, Thundurus-Therian, Porygon-Z, Espeon, Magnezone, Heatran, Volcanion, Magearna, Nihilego, Primarina, Zapdos, Reuniclus, Hydreigon, Latios, Latias, Goodra, Celesteela, Rotom, Florges, Mantine, Umbreon, Cresselia, Sylveon, Suicune, Jellicent, Mimikyu, Alolan Muk, Zeraora, Crobat, Talonflame, Ribombee, Tornadus-Therian

The bolded stuff is what I think will be or might be broken.

I assume megas can't make use of this change.

since i already have two metas, im not planning on submitting this, but if anyone else wants to try have at it

Spiritmons

If you have played Smash Ultimate, you have surely heard of or played the new Spirits Mode that was added in. This meta attempts to replicate that in Pokemon. By replacing your held item slot with the name of another Pokemon, your base stats will be replaced with that pokemon's stats, and you will be allowed to use two moves from that Pokemon. The Spirit that the pokemon is holding is revealed upon switch-in, but your new moves are not. You can harness a Spirit of any Non-Uber (with some exceptions), non form change pokemon. Spirits can't be knocked off, and you also can't use any item alongside your Spirit.

Premise: Pokemon can put the name of a Pokemon (not a mega evolution or changed form) in their item slot to gain their Base Stats and Two Moves from their movepool.

Possible Banlist
OU Banlist and clauses
As a Pokemon: Shedinja (idk if HP would still be hardcoded to 1 or not, that decides it)
As a Spirit: Blissey, Chansey, Slaking, Regigigas, Kartana, Kyurem-Black, Zygarde
From Ubers: Aegislash, Blaziken, Naganadel, Shaymin-Sky would all be usable due to their low stats

Threatlist

Sylveon/Aurorus/Golem-Alola: The only -ate users that can use a spirit. now their low stats can be patched up and they can inherit strong moves like Boomburst and Extreme Speed

Questions for the community:
  • How would Ability-Based form changes, like Shields Down and Battle Bond, work? Would they just turn into the regular forms, or would their stats due to the spirits be changed in the same way as the form change?
  • Would Shedinja's HP stat remain the same when holding a spirit?

Just like with the spirits in Smash Ultimate, the possibilities are nearly endless.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
since i already have two metas, im not planning on submitting this, but if anyone else wants to try have at it

Spiritmons

If you have played Smash Ultimate, you have surely heard of or played the new Spirits Mode that was added in. This meta attempts to replicate that in Pokemon. By replacing your held item slot with the name of another Pokemon, your base stats will be replaced with that pokemon's stats, and you will be allowed to use two moves from that Pokemon. The Spirit that the pokemon is holding is revealed upon switch-in, but your new moves are not. You can harness a Spirit of any Non-Uber (with some exceptions), non form change pokemon. Spirits can't be knocked off, and you also can't use any item alongside your Spirit.

Premise: Pokemon can put the name of a Pokemon (not a mega evolution or changed form) in their item slot to gain their Base Stats and Two Moves from their movepool.

Possible Banlist
OU Banlist and clauses
As a Pokemon: Shedinja (idk if HP would still be hardcoded to 1 or not, that decides it)
As a Spirit: Blissey, Chansey, Slaking, Regigigas, Kartana, Kyurem-Black, Zygarde
From Ubers: Aegislash, Blaziken, Naganadel, Shaymin-Sky would all be usable due to their low stats

Threatlist

Sylveon/Aurorus/Golem-Alola: The only -ate users that can use a spirit. now their low stats can be patched up and they can inherit strong moves like Boomburst and Extreme Speed

Questions for the community:
  • How would Ability-Based form changes, like Shields Down and Battle Bond, work? Would they just turn into the regular forms, or would their stats due to the spirits be changed in the same way as the form change?
  • Would Shedinja's HP stat remain the same when holding a spirit?

Just like with the spirits in Smash Ultimate, the possibilities are nearly endless.
The premise just screams as an Inheritance knock off. And thats not a bad thing in it of itself, because I totally think that the donating gimmick can be done in many more ways than just what we have with Inheritance. But I'm just not a fan of how this variation turned, and more so I think that the "Spirit" mechanic should be more of an upgrade instead of an entire base stat swap.

Going foward with this OM, I think the premise should be revised so that the holder of the Spirit still retains most of its original identity, and only gains from holding the Spirit.

One way I thought of changing the premise is: "Pokeman can be placed in the item slot as Spirits, and the Spirits donate their highest base stat(s) and one of their moves." It isn't my favorite, but just a thought. I really want to see more Inheritance like metas!!!

To explain this further:
-The highest base stat of the Spirit replaces the holder's base stat. So a Mew @ Exadrill changes Mew's attack of 100 to Exadrill's base 135.
-If the Spirit has ties for its highest base stats, then all of those base stats will replace the holders.
-The holder does not need to use one of the Spirit's moves; it is just an option.
-Like Inheritance, the Spirit is shown off to the opponent, and cannot be knocked off /tricked /ect.

OU banlist then:
Bans as Spirits: Megas and other form changes, any mon with a highest base stat greater than 140, Smeargal, Uxie, Dusknoir, Pyuk, probably more.
Other bans: Huge Power, Pure Power, Smeargal, Chancey/Blissey, probably more.

Few sets that show the potential of the meta:

Snorlax @ Skarmory
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost / Stealth Rock
- Curse / Whirlwind
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Just a really bulky mon, as it gets a base 140 Defense stat, and either recovery or hazards. Not perfect, just a really good example.

Serperior @ Volcarona
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Base 135 special attack AND Overeat for Serp. Lol thats insane.

Zygarde @ Buzzwole
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows

Zygarde gets both of Buzz's base 139 Attack and Defense, making it much stronger and a bit more physically bulky. This set has Taunt so it can try to be a wall breaker, but bulkier sets could try Roost for recovery.

Numel @ Mew
Ability: Simple
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flame Charge / Ancient Power

Mew as a Spirit is crazy because it not only donates the on par base 100 stats across the board, but also one of its many set up / coverage moves. Numel is just a cool example, as Simple lets it get to +4 after one Nasty Plot.

Other cool spirits: Raiku donates 115 special attack and speed, Dodrio donates 110 attack and speed + Swords Dance, Type: Null could donate 95 everything BUT speed if you want a faster and now bulkier holder like Koko or Torn-T, Meloetta donates 128 specials attack and special defense, base 130 speed mons are the fastest speed a Spirit can donate, Azelf donates 125 attacking stats, Scrafty donates 115 defenses (Uxie and others I think are ban worthy),

Last edited:

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I'm thinking not. IMHO, it would make things too broken. And Blissey is just 255/135/135, (replacing Def with SpD)
Yes, HP changes are hard to code in PS.

Kartana @ Speed
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Blissey @ Defense
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power

Hoopa-Unbound @ Speed
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
This sounds crazy. It's sort of like a bulky Mega Alakazam with Nasty Plot and 770 BST.
I have created a Pokemon Showdown server that this is playable on.
So if anyone would like to experiment (and talk about recommendations for quickbans!), please head on over to http://bff-server.herokuapp.com.
This might go down if I run out of free dyno hours though.
(My PS name is Annika0)

EDIT: Blacephalon and Hoopa-Unbound have been banned.

Last edited:
Yes, HP changes are hard to code in PS.

I have created a Pokemon Showdown server that this is playable on.
So if anyone would like to experiment (and talk about recommendations for quickbans!), please head on over to http://bff-server.herokuapp.com.
This might go down if I run out of free dyno hours though.
(My PS name is Annika0)

EDIT: Blacephalon and Hoopa-Unbound have been banned.
I like the idea but I feel like any mon that is choosing to replace a bad stat with another stat that is 130+ is dangerous. I'd gladly give up mega and primal evolution to do that for any mon that has a stat that is 130+. It's like Assault Vest/Choice Items minus the inconvenience of choosing only one move or not being allowed to run status moves respectively.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
I like the idea but I feel like any mon that is choosing to replace a bad stat with another stat that is 130+ is dangerous. I'd gladly give up mega and primal evolution to do that for any mon that has a stat that is 130+. It's like Assault Vest/Choice Items minus the inconvenience of choosing only one move or not being allowed to run status moves respectively.
I tested this out with LarTech for a little whiles.

Yeah, a lotta mons are no doubt broke, and what’s probably the scariest is stall. Now that things can be bulky on both ends or even bulky with speed / attack, it’s obscene. Totally worth the leftovers opertunity cost.

I would say though that not everything gets that big of a boost, but the more obvious ones are banable anyways. I would include Kartana, Xurkitree, and Blissey in the bans because of this. Overall I think the meta is going to have problems with stall, but it’s still probably manageable.

Here’s some cool sets:

Torkoal @ Speed
Ability: Drought
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

With the new base 140 speed, all Torkoal needs is 52 EVs to outspeed max base 100 mons. That’s nice because the extra EVs can go into bulk to secure a Shell Smash. Torkoal now of course works as a great late game sweeper, and particularly doesn’t mind many forms of physical priority once it smashes.

Rampardos @ Speed
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Ice Beam

Base 165 speed is actually a tad bit underwhelming in this crazy meta, but Rampardos brings a great move pool to the table, so much so it doesn’t mind the lack of an item.

Some other quick sets: Shuckle @ Speed for the fastest rocks/webs, Shuckle @ Attack for a TR sweeper, Cloyster @ Attack for a great wallbreaker or late game Shell Smash sweeper, Aggron @ Speed for fast Rock Head Head Smashes, Skarm @ Special Defense for a wall, Torn t @ Defense for a fast physical pivot, Tangrowth @ Special Defense for a mixed defensive pivot, Regi rock/ice as physical/special heavy hitters that can Rock Polish, attack boosting TR Stakataka, Avalug @ Special Defense, Flogress / Mantine / Sylveon / Hoopa @ Defense, and shouts out to Araq @ Attack for a decent attacker.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Self-Improvement (Taking name suggestions)
Premise:
Pokémon inherit the best value from their evolution chain so far for each stat (e.g. Incineroar gains Torracat's Speed, Porygon-Z has Porygon-2's Defenses, Steelix has Onix's Speed, but Litten doesn't gain Torracat's Speed and Lycanroc-Midnight doesn't gain Lycanroc-Midday's Speed).

Finer details (these are subject to change with community feedback):
- Pokémon will only gain from previous evolutions, and not from alternate forms of their current stage e.g. Meteor Minior doesn't inherit stats from Core Minior or vice versas. (Especially considering changing this one for more options)
- Mega Evolutions are counted as evolutions.
- Pokémon won't gain stats from branched evolution paths e.g. Slowbro doesn't gain from Slowking or vice versas.

All even slightly important changes with current rules (lemme know if I missed any of course):
Mega Beedrill: 65/150/40/45/80/145
Poliwrath: 90/95/95/70/90/90
Politoed: 90/75/75/90/100/90
Magnezone: 70/70/115/130/90/70
Steelix: 75/85/200/55/65/70
Mega Steelix: 75/125/230/55/95/70 (nice)
Tangrowth: 100/100/125/110/50/60
Scizor: 70/130/100/55/80/105 (yikes)
Mega Scizor: 70/150/140/65/100/105 (double yikes)
Electivire: 75/123/67/95/85/105
Magmortar: 65/95/67/125/95/93
Porygon-Z: 85/80/90/135/95/90 (OKAY)
Mega Ampharos: 90/95/105/165/110/55
Honchkrow: 100/125/52/105/52/91
Mega Heracross: 80/185/115/40/105/85
Octillery: 75/105/75/105/75/65
Beautifly: 60/70/55/100/50/65
Pelipper: 60/50/100/95/70/85
Ninjask: 61/90/90/50/50/160
Shedinja HP and Defense buffs change nothing
Mega Sableye: 50/85/125/85/115/50
Mega Camerupt: 70/120/100/145/105/40
Armaldo: 75/125/100/70/80/75
Salamence: 95/135/100/110/80/100
Vespiquen: 70/80/102/80/102/70
Mega Garchomp: 108/170/115/120/95/102
Mega Abomasnow: 90/132/105/132/105/60
Leavanny: 75/103/90/70/80/92
Scolipede: 60/100/99/55/79/112
Crustle: 70/105/125/65/75/55
Escavalier: 70/135/105/60/105/60
Accelgor: 80/70/85/100/65/145
Volcarona: 85/85/65/135/105/100
Vivillon: 80/52/60/90/50/89
Mega Diancie: 50/160/150/160/150/110 (hahahahahahahahahahaha)
Incineroar: 95/115/90/80/90/90
Toucannon: 80/120/75/75/75/75
Vikavolt: 77/82/95/145/75/46
Crabominable: 97/132/77/62/67/63
Toxapex: 50/63/152/53/142/45
Mudsdale: 100/125/100/55/85/45
Golisopod: 75/125/140/60/90/80

Ubers changes (probably won't be relevant but these are pretty funny):
Mega Mewtwo Y: 106/150/90/194/120/140 (800 BST finally achieved)
Solgaleo: 137/137/131/113/131/97 (Not entirely outclassed anymore!)
Lunala: 137/113/131/137/131/97 (Bulkier than Lugia with Shadow Shield, 137 Sp.Atk and a 200 BP Z-Move, seems cool)

Threatlist:
Mega Scizor: Can run a variety of sets thanks to the Speed buff and outspeeds the slower meta without any investment.
Porygon-Z: The significant bulk increase improves all of Porygon-Z's sets, but most notably makes Z-Conversion much harder to kill.
Mega Diancie: Now ties for second highest BST (would be highest but Mega Mewtwo Y now has 800 BST), with its main weakness patched up effectively.

Questions:
- What are the winners and losers (if any losers) of this meta?
- Should Pokémon inherit stats from alternate in-battle forms, such as Zen Darmanitan, Pirouette Meloetta and Core Minior? If so, should it work both ways or should only the original / transformed form inherit?
- Should Mega Evolutions count as Evolutions like they currently do, or should they work differently (maybe gain as much as their base form did if applicable)?
- Does anything need banning? (Expecting people to say Mega Diancie)
- General thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)