Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another weird idea I had:

Abilimoves
Premise:
Pokemon can gain abilities during a battle by using a moveslot for their ability of choice. For instance, a Landorus-T could gain Magic Bounce by using the move Magic Bounce.

Bans & Threats:
Bans would be probably be ability-related, so no dumb stuff like:
  • Wonder Guard
  • Huge/Pure Power (maybe? You still need a turn to set it up)
And things to consider would be:
  • Speed Boost (gives you a +1 no matter what)
  • Contrary/Beast Boost (allow easy snowballing)
The most interesting part of the OM for me is probably that you have to sacrifice a move for an ability, meaning you're restricted to 3 moves which can be really limiting - though the benefits are huge.

Example:

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Comatose
This set isn't really amazing, but it showcases how the OM would work: Comatose on Tapu Bulu prevents it from being statused, which is a problem it often faces.

Thoughts?
Your example of Comatose should really be quickbanned, due to its extremely obnoxious and uncompetitive synergy with Sleep Talk and phasing moves.

EDIT: Also, will abilities stay active if the user switches out? In other words, can I use Magic Guard to protect Volcarona from entry hazards?

Last edited:
How exactly would this stat boost be applied? Is it like a choice item, or would it be an announced stat boost? Will it be affected by Haze, Heart Swap or switching out? The worry I have is that if it can be removed, then it would typically be outclassed by all-boost Z-moves like Z-Celebrate and Z-Conversion.
Most likely a permanent announced boost that is activated upon use of the Z Stat crystal, so if a Ferrothorn with Special Defensium Z switches in without having activated the crystal yet then it takes take normal amount of damage. I don't know if it should be able to be removed; I thought of it more like a permanent effect. Haze and Heart Swap are only used by Toxapex and Magearna so it's not that bad, and Z-Celebrate type moves have terrible distribution so I'm not worried about them outclassing Z stats regardless.

Also, +6 would still be the max for stats. If you have an Attackium Z Snorlax and use Belly Drum then it ends up with +6 Attack, not an effective +7. However, it would retain the Z stat buff even if it switched out after that and would come back later at +1.

Just a few notes:
1) There is already a old gen 6 om called Genmons, that had a different change then yours, and hence, a different metagame. I think you need to change your name if you want to submit that metagame, but I have no ideas on what to change it to.
2) On the example on unreleased items, Hawlucha would actually still get confused, because as a flying type, it wouldn't get the benefit from Misty Terrain. Maybe Hitmonlee would be a better example?
3) How would mega evolved pokemon have their stats changed? For example, Alakazam would have 135 SpD in here, but should it mega evolved, would it's SpD decrease back to its original expected stat of 75, or simply keep the old one?
Thanks for the notes
1) I guess "Originmons" could also work.
2) You're right on the Hawlucha bit, Hitmonlee wouldn't work because he is a Gen 1 mon, so he wouldn't have an ability. Maybe Liepard could work? I think hidden abilities should stay regardless of the generation that the Pokémon debuted in, with the exception being gen 1+2 mons, since they did not have abilities to begin with. Gen 3 and above mons could still have their hidden abilities. Held items are present throughout, though. So gen 1 mons could still hold items.
3) Since megas are treated as separate Pokémon in the teambuilder, the stats would change as they normally would. So gen 1 Alakazam would end up losing his spdef buff in favor of gaining an ability, as well as the rest of the base stat buffs that Megazam gets.

Oh boy, say hello to one of the most broken moves in Pokemon history. G1 Blizzard:
120 base power
90% accuracy
And if we're going for true original debut function, a 30% chance to freeze.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's also the reintroduction of the horror that is G1 partial trapping moves.

Dragonite @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hone Claws
- Wrap
- Dragon Rush

Dragonite @ Sea Incense
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Hone Claws
- Whirlpool
- Dragon Pulse

Take your pick. Hit harder overall, or stunlock Ghost types? Either way, Bind, Clamp, Wrap, Fire Spin, and Whirlpool are all disgusting, and with new ways of increasing speed, and more importantly accuracy, I think they should banned.
Trapping moves could definitely be an interesting part of this potential meta. I suppose things like volt turn would be very strong versus this, but I could see how it can get out of hand. A bulky Mega Charizard Y with fire spin could definitely be a threat. Blizzard would be a very strong move for sure, I could see something like protean, or even ash greninja being very oppressive with this move. Maybe it could get banned if it gets out of hand too.

Thanks for the notes
1) I guess "Originmons" could also work.
2) You're right on the Hawlucha bit, Hitmonlee wouldn't work because he is a Gen 1 mon, so he wouldn't have an ability. Maybe Liepard could work? I think hidden abilities should stay regardless of the generation that the Pokémon debuted in, with the exception being gen 1+2 mons, since they did not have abilities to begin with. Gen 3 and above mons could still have their hidden abilities. Held items are present throughout, though. So gen 1 mons could still hold items.
3) Since megas are treated as separate Pokémon in the teambuilder, the stats would change as they normally would. So gen 1 Alakazam would end up losing his spdef buff in favor of gaining an ability, as well as the rest of the base stat buffs that Megazam gets.

Trapping moves could definitely be an interesting part of this potential meta. I suppose things like volt turn would be very strong versus this, but I could see how it can get out of hand. A bulky Mega Charizard Y with fire spin could definitely be a threat. Blizzard would be a very strong move for sure, I could see something like protean, or even ash greninja being very oppressive with this move. Maybe it could get banned if it gets out of hand too.
Volt Turn won't save you from Gen 1 partial trapping moves. If the trapper is faster and lucky (or just faster in the case of Hone Claws) there's literally nothing the opponent can do.

No Evolution Chain Cup
Metagame premise: Only pokemon that are not part of an evolutionary chain can be use (i.e. it cannot evolve to or from anything). Mega evolutions do not count as evolutionary line.
Potential bans and threats: All legendaries, ultra beasts, and Mimikyu for sure. Potentially also ban Hawlucha.
Some Pokemon are Absol, Aerodactyl, Rotom forms.
Questions for the community: Should Mega evolutions be allowed? Should Pokemon that had no evolutionary chain when originally released be allowed? Notable additions would be Chansey, Jynx, and Snorlax.

No Evolution Chain Cup
Metagame premise: Only pokemon that are not part of an evolutionary chain can be use (i.e. it cannot evolve to or from anything). Mega evolutions do not count as evolutionary line.
Potential bans and threats: All legendaries, ultra beasts, and Mimikyu for sure. Potentially also ban Hawlucha.
Some Pokemon are Absol, Aerodactyl, Rotom forms.
Questions for the community: Should Mega evolutions be allowed? Should Pokemon that had no evolutionary chain when originally released be allowed? Notable additions would be Chansey, Jynx, and Snorlax.
First, this doesn't sound terribly interesting. Restrictive metas rarely are. Second, why tf is Mimikyu quickban worthy?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Another weird idea I had:

Abilimoves
Premise:
Pokemon can gain abilities during a battle by using a moveslot for their ability of choice. For instance, a Landorus-T could gain Magic Bounce by using the move Magic Bounce.

Bans & Threats:
Bans would be probably be ability-related, so no dumb stuff like:
  • Wonder Guard
  • Huge/Pure Power (maybe? You still need a turn to set it up)
  • Comatose + Phasing Moves
And things to consider would be:
  • Speed Boost (gives you a +1 no matter what)
  • Contrary/Beast Boost (allow easy snowballing)
The most interesting part of the OM for me is probably that you have to sacrifice a move for an ability, meaning you're restricted to 3 moves which can be really limiting - though the benefits are huge.

Example:

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Comatose
This set isn't really amazing, but it showcases how the OM would work: Comatose on Tapu Bulu prevents it from being statused, which is a problem it often faces.

Thoughts?
Multibility (a similar metagame where you could put an ability in your item slot) was rejected this generation for being too similar to Almost Any Ability, Pokebilities, and the now defunct Shared Power. This metagame would likely run into the same roadblock.

Did you mean for only one ability at a time to be addable?

Mantis Style: a metagame where only bug and/or fighting types are allowed to participate in, how do you think it would go? What would be some big threats, and what would be terrible?

Mantis Style: a metagame where only bug and/or fighting types are allowed to participate in, how do you think it would go? What would be some big threats, and what would be terrible?
That’s an extremely limiting idea, which not many people would play (I think). If you wanna create a good metagame, try giving the user more options not less.

(Thanks ChrystalFalchion for amazing quote)

Right off the bat I think Mega-Pinsir would dominate this metagame since it will hit everything extremely hard for at least neutral damage.

Was thinking about different avenues to approach an OM, and realized that Natures are relatively unexplored. So I came up up with something I'm tentatively calling Naturemons.

Basically, you can replace your item and/or ability with a Nature, and you'll receive the stat changes of that Nature. This stacks with other Nature boosts. I'm also considering making Natures raise/lower stats by 20% instead of 10%, just so power-boosting Natures aren't just Muscle Bands or Wise Glasses when put in the item slot.

My main worry with this idea is that besides the obvious Slaking, Regigigas, Archeops, and Golisopod (the former two of which will likely be banned), there aren't many Pokemon that this will change drastically, so the meta might be kinda boring.

Was thinking about different avenues to approach an OM, and realized that Natures are relatively unexplored. So I came up up with something I'm tentatively calling Naturemons.

Basically, you can replace your item and/or ability with a Nature, and you'll receive the stat changes of that Nature. This stacks with other Nature boosts. I'm also considering making Natures raise/lower stats by 20% instead of 10%, just so power-boosting Natures aren't just Muscle Bands or Wise Glasses when put in the item slot.

My main worry with this idea is that besides the obvious Slaking, Regigigas, Archeops, and Golisopod (the former two of which will likely be banned), there aren't many Pokemon that this will change drastically, so the meta might be kinda boring.
You could make it so that the nature boosts a stat by one stage and lowers another by 1 stage as well (like if you have Jolly in the ability slot, you get +1 Speed and -1 Special Attack) upon switch in.

So, I had an idea for an OM similar to the now defunct Shared Power. It works like this: Pokemon share their ability with the next Pokemon in line, effectively giving everything 2 abilities. You can rearrange the team at preview, allowing for different combinations.

Banlist
OU Banlist and Clauses +
Ability Clause - only 1 Pokemon can have a particular ability on your team. Clone abilities do not violate this.
Shedinja - Wonder Guard would be broken on anything good, Shedinja itself can also gain Sturdy.
Ash-Greninja - Can gain Sheer Force, Technician, Adaptability etc.
Possibly Dragonite
Mawilite
Medichamite

The following abilities are banned:
Huge Power
Pure Power
Protean
Simple
Comatose
Water Bubble
Contrary
Fur Coat

Sample team to illustrate how it works:

Click Sprites

Q&A

Do abilities stack?

With themselves, no. If you put Salamence and Landorus-T together, Landorus-T would not drop the foe's attack stat by 2 stages. However, if you put Necrozma and Mega Aggron together, Prism Armor would stack with Filter, reducing super effective damage by 50%. If you had say Heatproof Bronzong next to a Thick Fat Mamoswine, Mamoswine would take only 25% from Fire type attacks.

What about immunity granting abilities?

If it's different immunities, they both trigger, so if you put a Levitate Pokemon behind Heatran, it would be immune to both Ground and Fire type moves. If it's the same type but has different effects (i.e. Water Absorb and Storm Drain) then both effects will trigger. If it is the same effect (Dry Skin and Water Absorb) then the effect will not stack, so you'll only gain 33% HP when hit by a Water move.

If a Pokemon faints does it still pass the ability?

Yes.

Why can you only use one of each ability on native Pokemon?

Even with 2, you could still give 4 Pokemon on your team Regenerator, making them near impossible to wear down. Or a weather summoning ability, or really damn near anything.

Resources:
(If it got approved)

Increased viability

Breloom goes from being discount Kartana to passing 2 amazing abilities in Technician and Poison Heal. Conkeldurr and pass Guts and Sheer Force. Yanmega can pass Tinted Lens, and abuse Beast Boost or Soul Heart in conjunction with Speed Boost to become incredibly powerful. Porygon-Z, Mega Beedrill and Crawdaunt can all pass Adaptability, and recive abilities like Sheer Force or Beast Boost.

Last edited:
The following abilities cannot be passed, but can be used by Pokemon who naturally have them:

Huge Power
Pure Power
Contrary
Protean
Fur Coat
Psychic Surge
Simple
Speed Boost
Water Bubble
Possibly the abilities that boost Speed under weather and Surge Surfer
Possibly Magic Guard
Instant red flag. You shouldn't have to add asterisks to your rules. If an ability would be broken if passed, just straight up ban the ability.

STABmons and AAA both have moves and abilities respectively that can only be used on Pokemon that naturally have them. How is this different?
Because by making some abilities not passable, you're breaking the rules you set in place. Think of OMs as mods on cart. If a move is banned on non-native users in STABmons, no code alteration is required. You and your opponent just agree not to use that move on non-native users. But if an ability is made unpassable, one would have to go into the mod's code and make it so that the ability won't be passed.

Redfeatherz

formerly ArgentumSentinel
Metagame premise: Auto-Boosts Banned (ABB)
Abilities that are activated exclusively before or after the 'Turn' and cause boosts to stats or subsequent strength/accuracy of attacks are banned (with the 'Turn' beginning with the use of one Pokemon's move, and ending with either the other Pokemon's move or a Pokemon fainting following a direct attack).

The objective of this meta is to encourage teambuilding based on movesets, not on passive boosting abilities, which has been an ever-growing part of the OverUsed singles tier (OU) since RSE. By that note, it is expected and hoped that this metagame remains significantly different from OU, and that the definition of this metagame remains straightforward and not complex.

Potential bans and threats:

A list of banned abilities by Metagame's definition ( and Pokemon who are banned as a result of having no legal ability):
  • Intimidate (Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, Gyarados, Salamence)
    Intimidate can be considered not as an auto-lowering of the opponent's attack but also as an auto-boost to the user's defence.
  • Speed Boost (Mega Blaziken)
    Note: This means blaze regular Blaziken is legal, but Speed Boost regular Blaziken is still banned.
  • Moody (N/A);
    Imposter (N/A)
    i.e. No Pokemon with this ability are banned as they have other abilities that they may run.
  • Rivalry (N/A)
  • The Four Surge Abilities (Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini)
    The four island guardians would be banned only until Telepathy is released on each of them.
    All four surges boost the power of certain moves.
  • Drought (Charizard-Y)
    Drought automatically boosts the power of fire moves (and boosts evasion versus hurricane)
  • Drizzle (N/A)
    Only Kyogre would be banned , if weren't already a restricted Pokemon(see below for uber banlist and potential bans).
    Same reasoning as Drought, as well as additional automatic accuracy boosts to Hurricane and Thunder,for example.
  • Sand Stream (Mega Tyranitar)
    Sand stream automatically boosts the special defence of rock types.
  • Snow Warning (Mega Abomasnow)
    Snow Warning automatically boosts the accuracy of Blizzard, for example.
  • Download (Genesect)
  • Moxie (Gyarados, Salamence)
  • Beast Boost (Nihilego,Buzzwole,Pheromosa,Xurkitree,Celesteela,Kartana,Guzzlord,Poipole,Naganadel,Stakataka,Blacephalon)
  • Battle Bond (Greninja-Ash)
  • Soul Heart (Magearna)

• Automatic Banlist to Ubers
    In brief, all non-restricted mons that have been previously suspected in the OU metagame and banned to Ubers. Their collective broken-ness is not something that should be questioned altogether in the early days of this meta, since it is based off OU to begin with, and the reasons for banning will likely be the same. It also keeps things nice and simple to begin with, so that people can enjoy teambuilding without having to prepare for some of the stupid stuff below:
  • Aegislash
    Has been shown as ban-worthy in the past, it being over-centralising in past metagames due in big part to its effective base stats and ghost steel typing.
  • Mega Gengar
    Trapping abilities such as shadow tag and arena trap are still deemed uncompetitive.
  • Mega Kangaskhan
  • Landorus-I
  • Mega Lucario
  • Marshadow
  • Mega Metagross
  • Mega Salamence
  • Shaymin-Sky

Examples of abilities that were not banned:
  • Unburden
    It can be made to activate within the turn (e.g. when taking damage and holding a sitrus berry)
  • Quick feet,guts,toxic boost and poison heal
    Aren't affected by the ban because they are not 'automatic',requiring items to activate (and may also activate within the turn in the case of guts and toxic boost).
  • Harvest
    Is not banned because a stat boosting berry can be consumed within the turn,not just after the turn.
  • Note: No terrain effect or weather effect is banned completely : they must be activated using their corresponding moves within the 'Turn' instead : using electric terrain, rain dance etc.
  • Aftermath
    Activates immediately before its user faints,thus before the turn ends and is therefore legal. Additionally,it cannot be interpreted as a boost in any sense, as it deducts the opponent's HP.
Potential Threats:
In a sentence: fast and /or powerful sweepers that can obtain setup opportunities, reliable hazard setters, or Pokemon effective at neutralising setup sweepers in this new environment.

The Unban of baton pass and the loss of intimidate could positively impact the viability of physical setup sweepers, and make games faster, and more about high damage over as few turns as possible. It will negatively impact team types that relied on Intimidate to keep physical attackers at bay. Toxapex and other Hazers/Phazers (including red card users) should see a rise in usage, and different hazard setters will be explored to replace the vacuum that the loss of Landorus-T may cause, as well as the other team roles that Lando often fills. Unaware users may well see usage.
Simultaneously, the loss of Moxie, Beast Boost etc. will prevent sweepers from simply 'snowballing', through teams, and thus sweeping through defensive teams may still prove difficult.

Different electric types would see usage with the departure of two significant ones in Mega Manectric (one of the more significant offensive electric types among electric types, if not OU) and Tapu Koko. The strengths of these electric types will be detrimental to how effective Toxapex and other bulky water types remains as a hazer in the metagame.

Fire/Ice types might see more usage if stealth rock setup becomes any harder.

Experimentation with weather and terrains would be seen, and without abilities to automatically override them, preventing full-on sweeps will be harder after weather is setup. But it won't necessarily be easy to set up in the first place.
Strong weather sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill will either lose at least two turns waiting to capitalise on weather set up for them, or be forced to set up sandstorm themselves if the extra turns are deemed worth the loss of coverage.Some mons might run a weather / terrain moves to halt weather/terrain sweepers.

Strong priority users will likely see more use to combat faster sweeping threats more consistently than before with more opportunities for sweepers requiring a turn to take damage.

Protean (greninja) may be very effective, and its quick-banning is a point of discussion below.

Questions for the community:
  1. Do you think protean should be a blacklisted ability above, and should the definition of the 'Turn' starting be marked strictly by "Greninja used Grass Knot" or the move's animation? Or does a protean ban open up the door for the ban of acceptable abilites that activate immediately after the turn begins?
  2. Do you agree that the abilities above are justifiably banned according the definition of a 'Turn'?
    It occurred to me when writing this post that an initially ban-worthy ability in Regenerator (a HP-boosting ability) is a legal ability since it can be activated during the Turn using U-turn, Volt Switch etc.So thoughts on any you folks have doubts with would be appreciated.

3. What other bans and clauses implemented to standard OU would be implemented / to this metagame where automatic boosting is banned? For example, does the batonpass clause hold any weight in a metagame without free speed boosts from speed boost?
Edits 17:25
Removed useless clause on restricted legendaries
Unbanned Rivalry
Changed wording of the Metagame premise to more accurately include weather/terrain based abilities.

Last edited:
In a line: Boosting abilities that are activated exclusively before or after the 'Turn' are banned (with the 'Turn' beginning with the use of one Pokemon's move, and ending with either the other Pokemon's move or a Pokemon fainting following a direct attack).

The objective of this meta is to encourage teambuilding based on movesets, not on passive boosting abilities, which has been an ever-growing part of the OverUsed singles tier (OU) since RSE. By that note, it is expected and hoped that this metagame remains significantly different from OU, and that the definition of this metagame remains straightforward and not complex.

Potential bans and threats:

A list of banned abilities by Metagame's definition ( and Pokemon who are banned as a result of having no legal ability):
  • Intimidate (Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, Gyarados, Salamence)
    Intimidate can be considered not as an auto-lowering of the opponent's attack but also as an auto-boost to the user's defence.
  • Speed Boost (Mega Blaziken)
    Note: This means blaze regular Blaziken is legal, but Speed Boost regular Blaziken is still banned.
  • Moody (N/A);
    Imposter (N/A)
    i.e. No Pokemon with this ability are banned as they have other abilities that they may run.
  • Rivalry (N/A)
    (And I doubt anyone will miss this one anyway)
    The four island guardians would be banned only until Telepathy is released on each of them.
  • Drought (Charizard-Y)
    Drought automatically boosts the power of fire moves (and boosts evasion versus hurricane)
  • Drizzle (N/A)
    Only Kyogre would be banned , if weren't already a restricted Pokemon(see below for uber banlist and potential bans).
    Same reasoning as Drought, as well as additional automatic accuracy boosts to Hurricane and Thunder,for example.
  • Download (Genesect)
  • Moxie (Gyarados, Salamence)
  • Beast Boost (Nihilego,Buzzwole,Pheromosa,Xurkitree,Celesteela,Kartana,Guzzlord,Poipole,Naganadel,Stakataka,Blacephalon)
  • Battle Bond (Greninja-Ash)
  • Soul Heart (Magearna)

Bans to Ubers
  • All restricted mons (not including mythicals)
    All the "box legend" ubers and their associated forms, including Kyurem's base form, Kyurem-Black, Necrozma's base form.
    Other potential bans:
    In brief, all non-restricted mons that have been previously suspected in the OU metagame and banned to Ubers.
  • Aegislash
    Has been shown as banworthy in the past, it being over-centralising in past metagames due in big part to its effective base stats and ghost steel typing.
  • Mega Gengar
    Trapping abilities such as shadow tag and arena trap are still deemed uncompetitive.
  • Mega Kangaskhan
  • Landorus-I
  • Mega Lucario
  • Marshadow
  • Mega Metagross
  • Mega Salamence
  • Shaymin-Sky

Abilities that were not banned:
  • Unburden
    It can be made to activate within the turn (e.g. when taking damage and holding a sitrus berry)
  • Quick feet,guts,toxic boost and poison heal
    aren't affected by the ban because they are not 'automatic',requiring items to activate (and may also activate within the turn in the case of guts and toxic boost).
  • Harvest
    Is not banned because a stat boosting berry can be consumed within the turn,not just after the turn.
  • Note: No terrain effect or weather effect is banned completely : they must be activated using their corresponding moves within the 'Turn' instead : using electric terrain, rain dance etc.
  • Aftermath
    Activates immediately before its user faints,thus before the turn ends and is therefore legal. Additionally,it cannot be interpreted as a boost in any sense, as it deducts the opponent's HP.
Potential Threats:
In a sentence: fast and /or powerful sweepers that can obtain setup opportunities, reliable hazard setters, or Pokemon effective at neutralising setup sweepers in this new environment.

The Unban of baton pass and the loss of intimidate could positively impact the viability of physical setup sweepers, and make games faster, and more about high damage over as few turns as possible. It will negatively impact team types that relied on Intimidate to keep physical attackers at bay. Toxapex and other Hazers/Phazers (including red card users) should see a rise in usage, and different hazard setters will be explored to replace the vacuum that the loss of Landorus-T may cause, as well as the other team roles that Lando often fills. Unaware users may well see usage.
Simultaneously, the loss of Moxie, Beast Boost etc. will prevent sweepers from simply 'snowballing', through teams, and thus sweeping through defensive teams may still prove difficult.

Different electric types would see usage with the departure of two significant ones in Mega Manectric (one of the more significant offensive electric types among electric types, if not OU) and Tapu Koko. The strengths of these electric types will be detrimental to how effective Toxapex and other bulky water types remains as a hazer in the metagame.

Fire/Ice types might see more usage if stealth rock setup becomes any harder.

Experimentation with weather and terrains would be seen, and without abilities to automatically override them, preventing full-on sweeps will be harder after weather is setup. But it won't necessarily be easy to set up in the first place.
Strong weather sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill will either lose at least two turns waiting to capitalise on weather set up for them, or be forced to set up sandstorm themselves if the extra turns are deemed worth the loss of coverage.Some mons might run a weather / terrain moves to halt weather/terrain sweepers.

Strong priority users will likely see more use to combat faster sweeping threats more consistently than before with more opportunities for sweepers requiring a turn to take damage.

Protean (greninja) may be very effective, and its quick-banning is a point of discussion below.

Questions for the community:
  1. Do you think protean should be a blacklisted ability above, and should the definition of the 'Turn' starting be marked strictly by "Greninja used Grass Knot" or the move's animation? Or does a protean ban open up the door for the ban of acceptable abilites that activate immediately after the turn begins?
  2. Do you agree that the abilities above are justifiably banned according the definition of a 'Turn'?
    It occurred to me when writing this post that an initially ban-worthy ability in Regenerator (a HP-boosting ability) is a legal ability since it can be activated during the Turn using U-turn, Volt Switch etc.So thoughts on any you folks have doubts with would be appreciated.

3. What other bans and clauses implemented to standard OU would be implemented / to this metagame where automatic boosting is banned? For example, does the batonpass clause hold any weight in a metagame without free speed boosts from speed boost?
Aside from restrictive metagames generally not being very popular, your bans and unbans of Pokemon seems nonsensical. Kyurem would have been banned anyway because of its abilities, but what makes Necrozma banworthy? What makes Pokemon like Marshadow suddenly not broken? It seems like instead of an interesting twist on mechanics, you're just aiming for "OU but how I want it."

Redfeatherz

Aside from restrictive metagames generally not being very popular, your bans and unbans of Pokemon seems nonsensical. Kyurem would have been banned anyway because of its abilities, but what makes Necrozma banworthy? What makes Pokemon like Marshadow suddenly not broken? It seems like instead of an interesting twist on mechanics, you're just aiming for "OU but how I want it."
Funnily enough, I was editting this into the post before as you typed this. You are too fast! Marshadow is still banned, as are pmuch all the other pokemon already banned to ubers. I say "potentially banworthy", but elaborate to say they shouldn't be in the metagame from the start as a metagame based on OU, the bans are likely for very good reason:

"
Other potential bans:
In brief, all non-restricted mons that have been previously suspected in the OU metagame and banned to Ubers. Their collective broken-ness is not something that should be questioned altogether in the early days of this meta, since it is based off OU to begin with. It also keeps things nice and simple to begin with, so that people can enjoy teambuilding without having to prepare for some of the stupid stuff below:
"

You're right, Necrozma isn't banworthy under the main rule of this meta, and could be unbanned from the start. The idea is to keep the rules of the metagame straightforward and have as few necessary bans/unbans as possible, and I thought a not-too-nonsensical ban of all restricted legendaries accomplished this. But I can see it causes unnecessary confusion.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
In a line: Boosting abilities that are activated exclusively before or after the 'Turn' are banned (with the 'Turn' beginning with the use of one Pokemon's move, and ending with either the other Pokemon's move or a Pokemon fainting following a direct attack).

• Rivalry (N/A)
    (And I doubt anyone will miss this one anyway)
  • Drought (Charizard-Y)
  • Drizzle (N/A)
These 6 points have issues - the autoweather and the surge abilities are rightfully banned, but your logic is flawed, while Rivalry should not be banned.

The Surge and Auto-Weather abilities should be banned because they only activate when the user comes into battle and cause the field effect. You cannot attribute the effects of Weather or Terrain on moves to the abilities, nor should you because the line of logic (italicized and underlined in the quoted portion) would actually have them unbanned.

I could be somewhat wrong on the timing in gen 7, but damage and accuracy checks, or at least their display, occurs either after or during (depending on your definition of move) the move is used. Rivalry is a modifier - it doesn't boost or lower stat stages on switching in, it modifies the power of the attack. Banning Rivalry but not Hustle or Defeatist for example is not justifiable.

Redfeatherz

These 6 points have issues - the autoweather and the surge abilities are rightfully banned, but your logic is flawed, while Rivalry should not be banned.

The Surge and Auto-Weather abilities should be banned because they only activate when the user comes into battle and cause the field effect. You cannot attribute the effects of Weather or Terrain on moves to the abilities, nor should you because the line of logic (italicized and underlined in the quoted portion) would actually have them unbanned.

I could be somewhat wrong on the timing in gen 7, but damage and accuracy checks, or at least their display, occurs either after or during (depending on your definition of move) the move is used. Rivalry is a modifier - it doesn't boost or lower stat stages on switching in, it modifies the power of the attack. Banning Rivalry but not Hustle or Defeatist for example is not justifiable.
Agreed on Rivalry.
The second point about the weathers and terrains does need fine-tuning, but I'm not sure how to better define the rule at this moment.

EDIT: The boosts to stats and move power/accuracy are only obtained due to these abilities that activated prior to the 'Turn' beginning, and is therefore illegal? That is, it's not the boosts provided by weather themselves that are banworthy, but the way in which they are obtained.

So rule could go from this:

Boosting abilities that are activated exclusively before or after the 'Turn' are banned (with the 'Turn' beginning with the use of one Pokemon's move, and ending with either the other Pokemon's move or a Pokemon fainting following a direct attack).

to this:

Abilities that are activated exclusively before or after the 'Turn' and cause boosts to stats or subsequent strength/accuracy of attacks are banned (with the 'Turn' beginning with the use of one Pokemon's move, and ending with either the other Pokemon's move or a Pokemon fainting following a direct attack).

If this makes any more sense?
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Agreed on Rivalry.
The second point about the weathers and terrains does definitely need fine-tuning, but I'm not sure how to better define the rule at this moment.
Two options are "abilities that announce themselves upon switching in" (like Intimidate, Mold Breaker, and Pressure) and "abilities that announce themselves (like Moxie, Poison Heal, and Harvest). Both differ slightly from your original idea, but they're much more concise.

Anyway, I have three FEAR mons for ChrystalFalchion's ability passing idea. They're nicknamed the ability that should be passed to them.

Sturdy (Togekiss) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Serene Grace
Level: 2
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Yawn / Thunder Wave
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

Sturdy (Swinub) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 1
Serious Nature
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Toxic / Stealth Rock
- Icy Wind / Stealth Rock

Sand Stream (Togedemaru) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
Serious Nature
- Endeavor
- Nuzzle / Thunder Wave
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Spiky Shield / Toxic

FEAR is interesting, but really any competant opponent will see it coming a mile away. Stealth Rock alone shuts it down. Clefairy and Solosis have Magic Guard and Endeavor, so you could pass them Sturdy, although I don't think either gets Quick Attack.

Also I've had a rethink, and yes I think banning those abilities outright is better than simply banning them from being passed. Speaking of that meta, here's another sample team.

Click sprites for more.

Redfeatherz

Two options are "abilities that announce themselves upon switching in" (like Intimidate, Mold Breaker, and Pressure) and "abilities that announce themselves (like Moxie, Poison Heal, and Harvest). Both differ slightly from your original idea, but they're much more concise.
Here is the change to the metagame premise I have since made. Would this be any better or worse (not exactly concise with the wording as it stands,but makes more sense)?

I follow what you say about the two options,and agree that both are more concise. It would make things even more restrictive and unappealing,however,since a bunch of abilities activate in this way. It would involve banning more Pokemon with nothing but abilities that announce themselves, such as banning Comatose (Komala), Trace (Mega Alakazam), or Frisk (Dusknoir). It's as you said, people don't like restriction and I'd prefer to minimise that wherever possible, even if the premise isn't so straightforward as the ones you list.

Yes, team selection is restricted by this premise, but it is for good reason: to encourage different offensive and defensive playstyles in an environment similar but different to OU, whilst still being very diverse and fun to play. A ban on all announcing abilities doesn't have the same degree of focus, I feel.

Changes made to my original post:
Removed useless clause on restricted legendaries
Unbanned Rivalry
Changed wording of the Metagame premise to more accurately include weather/terrain based abilities.

Thanks again DrPumpkinz

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Because by making some abilities not passable, you're breaking the rules you set in place. Think of OMs as mods on cart. If a move is banned on non-native users in STABmons, no code alteration is required. You and your opponent just agree not to use that move on non-native users. But if an ability is made unpassable, one would have to go into the mod's code and make it so that the ability won't be passed.
I mean shared power had this kind of bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)