Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You use Magnet Pull with Red Card and Roar in an attempt to force one of your three traitors to come out on their side: a Ferrothorn with Gravity/Endeavor/Sunny Day/Ingrain, a Ferroseed with the exact same set, and a Celesteela that has to accompany Gravity/Ingrain with a slightly less convenient pair of moves. They can only pass the time for 24 turns until they're forced to click Ingrain, at which point you no longer need to keep Magnet Pull around, and can switch to something for max-setup Acupressure to mow down everyone from then on with maxed everything.
well it is 2v2 so im not sure but this
this is what i had in mind.

It's similar to a type of battle available in gen 5. You have to either make a Mon look tempting to steal while giving it an awful set and hope your opponent takes the bait, or design all your Mon to be beatable by the rest of your team.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Betrayal

Metagame premise
:
2v2
Mons in slot 1 2 3 are loyal, mons in slot 4 5 6 go to your opponent team. (obviously their 4 5 6 mons go to you)
all mons must have 4 moves.
Potential bans and threats:
Usual OU ban.
"Nothing happen" moves, no fun on betrayer. Meaning their Z version have to go too but it is a small price to pay.
not threats, but how i think the meta will playout (not experienced enough to identify threats):
loyal mons:
probably same as normal 2v2,
contrary users
whirlwind user
magic bound
volt/water absorb/ flashfire/ sap sipper etc
betrayers:
weather/terrain setters.
type/ability change.
AOE moves
Questions for the community: is the name too heavy ?
Is there any reason this is 2v2 and not singles? And like someone else said here, Letting your opponent choose who to steal would be a lot more interesting, because you cant just put the worst pokemon in the game on your team in the last 3 slots.

Post canceled, Metagamite is the same thing but much cooler, But feel free to see the original post because I don't want to delete all of my writing.
-Atemons (Working on the title)
Rules & Clauses: Standerd ou cluases, sleep, endless battle etc.
Banned Mons: Dragonite(Maybe)
Banned Items: None
Metagame premise: Your moves are the type of the pokemon, giving every move a STAB boost in damage. A Dual-type pokemon would just have it's moves the type of it's first type.

Potential Bans:Noivern would be a really big threat as it would get STAB boomburst, and it would be flying type. Coming from such a fast and powerful pokemon, It's defiantly worthy of being considered for a ban.

I was going to say quickban dragonite, But the there is something big restricting him. Since it's your first type that changes the moves, his extremespeed would be dragon type. Making the fairy type a hard counter to him. Scince it's not just normal type moves that are changed, no mon can have type coverage, thus making any type that has no immunities the best offensive type. This however, is still not enough to make dragonite a bad pokemon, so I'd say he's worth considering to be not banned, but probably will be banned.

Mega dactyl rant
135 Base attack and 150 base speed. Let's put that into perspective: That's: 15 Lower than pdon, and 45 lower then mega ray, I know 45 is a big margin but we are talking about mega rayquaza, basically what you think of when you think a FAT attack stat. But if you think of deo-a when you think of that, it's the same attack difference of mega ray, but the same speed stat. The reasoning mega aero isn't ubers, is his ability gives him no good STAB moves. Now, his return, would be a 102 BP STAB move + tough claws + a huge attack stat. But let's take that one step further, Mega salamence's first uber set on smogon could kinda be used on aero, having roost, double edge, and facade. Yes aero has a lot less health, But you can't argue it would be nuclear.
Mega dactyl will certainly be considered a really good mega, probably the best one of them all honestly.

Mega Beedrill:
Would be op but he's bug type so not much offensive privilage, Still though 102 BP + mega beedrill's attack stat +adaptability is not something to laugh at, it's probably the next best thing after mega aerodactyl

Mega Medicham:
I was gonna quickban it along with the 2 last megas but this one is probably a much less powerful mega than I thought. It still would just spam HJK but this time: It's fakeout has STAB, Probaby still pretty good, but not gamebreakingly good.
Bans:
None.
Threats:
Barbacle would be amazing in this scince rock has no immunities, He has access to shell smash and tough claws.

Noivern would be S tier in this and maybe even ban worth as STAB boomburst would be overpowered.

Mega mawile could be powerful as it could pack STAB return/frust with swords dance and sucker punch to make a mean killer, it doesn't even need the last moveslot but it could do anything it needs, I'm too lazy to check if it can learn facade but if it can, probably that.

Tapu koko would be incredible to use as it would be able to finally get some good physical, electric STAB moves in electric terrain, making it very powerful.

Mega dactyl rant
135 Base attack and 150 base speed. Let's put that into perspective: That's: 15 Lower than pdon, and 45 lower then mega ray, I know 45 is a big margin but we are talking about mega rayquaza, basically what you think of when you think a FAT attack stat. But if you think of deo-a when you think of that, it's the same attack difference of mega ray, but the same speed stat. The reasoning mega aero isn't ubers, is his ability gives him no good STAB moves. Now, his return, would be a 102 BP STAB move + tough claws + a huge attack stat. He's debatable in banning him but noone can argue he's not powerful

Mega Beedrill:
Would be op but he's bug type so not much offensive privilage, Still though 102 BP + mega beedrill's attack stat +adaptability is not something to laugh at, it's probably the next best thing after mega aerodactyl

Mega Medicham:
I was gonna quickban it along with the 2 last megas but this one is probably a much less powerful mega than I thought. It still would just spam HJK but this time: It's fakeout has STAB, Probaby still pretty good, but not gamebreakingly good.

Questions for the community: Should it only be normal moves that are changed?

Cool things worth mentioning: Adaptability would be an amazing ability, along with any-ate abilities that are your first type, EG: Galalie, as it would just give every move a damage boost, not that good though but still pretty interesting.

This is still W.I.P so please reccomend stuff

Last edited:

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
-Atemons (Working on the title)
Rules & Clauses: Standerd ou cluases, sleep, endless battle etc.
Banned Mons: Kyurem-B, Dragonite(Maybe)
Banned Items: Medichamite, Beedrillite, Aerodactylite
Metagame premise: Your moves are the type of the pokemon, giving every move a STAB boost in damage. A Dual-type pokemon would just have it's moves the type of it's first type.
Potential Bans:Noivern would be a really big threat as it would get STAB boomburst, and it would be flying type. Coming from such a fast and powerful pokemon, It's defiantly worthy of being considered for a ban. I was going to say quickban dragonite, But the there is something big restricting him. Since it's your first type that changes the moves, his extremespeed would be dragon type. Making the fairy type a hard counter to him. Scince it's not just normal type moves that are changed, no mon can have type coverage, thus making any type that has no immunities the best offensive type. This however, is still not enough to make dragonite a bad pokemon, so I'd say he's worth considering to be not banned, but probably will be banned.
Bans:
Kyu-b Get's quickbanned because of very obvious reasons.
Mega medicham & Mega beedrill because their way to powerful.
Mega aerodactyl should be like banned twice because it would be way too powerful.
Threats:
Barbacle would be amazing in this scince rock has no immunities, He has access to shell smash and tough claws.
Noivern would be S tier in this and maybe even ban worth as STAB boomburst would be overpowered.
Magearna would also be worth mentioning as she not only packs two immunities, but also would be able to get some great STAB moves.
Mega mawile could be powerful as it could pack STAB return/frust with swords dance and sucker punch to make a mean killer, it doesn't even need the last moveslot but it could do anything it needs, I'm too lazy to check if it can learn facade but if it can, probably that.
Tapu koko would be incredible to use as it would be able to finally get some good physical, electric STAB moves in electric terrain, making it very powerful.
Questions for the community: Should it only be normal moves that are changed?

Cool things worth mentioning: Adaptability would be an amazing ability, along with any-ate abilities that are your first type, EG: Galalie, as it would just give every move a damage boost, not that good though but still pretty interesting.

This is still W.I.P
This meta would be pretty similar to Metagamiate which gives every Pokemon an -ate ability according to their typing. so I don't think it'd be accepted but I still like the idea nonetheless. I don't really get the bans here though. KyuB is in regular OU and from how your meta would work, any fairy pokemon would hard counter this thing. Medicham's best STAB even here would be High Jump Kick. Beedrill and Aerodactyl would be good because of STAB Return but still not worthy of a ban tbh. Think a bit more about what you're quickbanning.

To answer your question about only normal moves getting changed, no. Metagamiate exists which gives every pokemon an -ate ability based on their typing.

A suggestion for improving the OM would be if you could use your secondary typing if you wish instead. So let's say if your pokemon was shiny it would use the secondary typing instead so some mons wouldnt be useless against some typings.

I don't really get the bans here though. KyuB is in regular OU and from how your meta would work, any fairy pokemon would hard counter this thing. Medicham's best STAB even here would be High Jump Kick. Beedrill and Aerodactyl would be good because of STAB Return but still not worthy of a ban tbh. Think a bit more about what you're quickbanning.
For some reason I was pretty sure that kyub was ice-dragon.
I guess it makessense that hjk would remain his best stab, but it would become much better with fake out being STAB, but then again it doesn't really do that much still.
Beedrill and aero would still be really good though
Beedrill maybe a little less and not ban worth because it's bug type has a lot of resists, but even then would be amazing to use.
I did write a whole rant about megadactyl being ban worthy but after putting it into the calc, it can only 7hko a zygarde-c at full health with 252 evs into health and 252 into defence, that still is powerful, but not the most gamebreaking thing in existence.

So after rethinking theese things yeah I guess they aren't banworthy so thanks for making me rethink them.
Also what is the name of this om you mentioned?

Double Item​
Premise: every pokemon have 2 items, but it's twice the same. Let say you play chansey, you get 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25 times def/spd. If you use focus sash, you can use it twice.
Bans: ou banlist, chansey, choice items
Questions for community: other bans? How should mega and z-moves work?

Double Item​
Premise: every pokemon have 2 items, but it's twice the same. Let say you play chansey, you get 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25 times def/spd. If you use focus sash, you can use it twice.
Bans: ou banlist, chansey, choice items
Questions for community: other bans? How should mega and z-moves work?
This sounds like it could be interesting. I'd consider keeping the choice items unbanned, though.

Choice items, Eviolite, and Assault Vest provide huge stat boosts.

Life Orb is even more risky, as you're now losing 20% of your HP every time you attack.

I see healing berries becoming very popular.

Power Herb could see some use. If this was Ubers-based, Xerneas would be absurd.

Rocky Helmet deals huge damage to contact attackers.

Having two Focus Sashes is only really useful for Shedinja. Depending on how it's coded, it might not do anything, as both the sashes might activate at once.

Air Balloon might be good. Once again, it depends on how it's coded.

If both are activated at once, Weakness Policy is terrifying.

Mega stones and Z-crystals wouldn't change at all.

For focus sash ,they shouldn't activate at same time. Same for healing berries excluding if one isn't enough. Also pikachu would be strong with 836 in attack and extreme speed.
For the weakness policy and air baloon, both should activate at same time. The reason why focus sash should activate separately is that, when you use one, the attack isn't an ohko anymore.

Last edited:
Even so, the second Focus Sash doesn't do anything on non-Shedinja holders unless you can get all the way back up to full health.

Double Leftovers (or possibly Black Sludge) means that anything that can put up a substitute once will then be able to alternate Protect/Substitute with no net loss in HP, for as long as the PP holds out.

Thick Club doesn't offer priority solutions the way Light Ball does, but it means Marowak is starting with an attack stat over 1000 if you let it get a move in.

Double Quick Claw for a 36% chance to go first with anything? Double Brightpowder? Hey, it might be worth a shot.

With the recent advent of Pokémon Masters, I felt something new was about to begin (and sorta wanted to be part of getting it going).

PML OU: Triples OU is back, but this time with PML rules!

Process:
First, tier the Sync Moves from PML.
Second, add them to PS! move database in whichever server it is hosted.
Third, create a battle format similar enough to PML using the "PML Clause(s)".

New "PML Clause(s)": No timer; Attack timing is calculated by 10 ÷ Spe = seconds before move execution; Energy gauge added; Sync move execution adds 1 bar to both sides' gauges; Sync moves can only be chosen every 10 bars; All teammates are visible simultaneously. Battles are 3-on-3 at a time, and each side only gets to switch 1 Pokémon in only after one has fainted in a place on the battlefield, with a maximum of 2 designated per slot (this can be organized determined before battle begins).

I get it that the last part of the PML Clause(s) is confusing, but if you play the app, you know what it's referencing.

This may not be doable in Pokémon Showdown!, but it's something we should definitely consider implementing (at least in my opinion)! If anything, we need to come up with something close to the Pokémon Masters battle style. Clearly, no matches would be endless.

Also, no items, since I just learned about Sync Stones. Seriously, Game Freak?!

Last edited:
Taught Typing (or Pool STAB): A Pokémon's Type is determined by the types of all the moves it can learn in its move pool, excluding certain moves common to most Pokémon (e.g. Protect, Shock Wave, Toxic, etc.). OU clauses. Bans Shedinja (or does it?). Suspects: Steelworker, Adaptability (except Porygon), Flower Veil, Tinted Lens, -ate and -ize Abilities, Protean and Color Change (because they make it single-type instead of multiple, possibly making an unfair advantage). Possible issues: Reflect Type, Freeze-Dry. New tools: incorporates multiple-type weakness calculator, adds Types to data/details and Pokémon-specific weaknesses in calculator when either "tt" or "pstab" is added as a factor.
This doesn't sound super interesting. Keeping track of everything sounds super complicated, and excluding certain moves sounds a little like one of the problems Shared Power had, which is that it broke its own rules. Also, Volcarona gets OHKOed by Stealth Rock, which makes me sad.

Secret Weakness: A Pokémon is weak only to its Hidden Power type, and takes ¾ damage from naturally super-effective attacks (S-E attacks do 1.5x damage instead of double). Bans: Shedinja.
Eh, this doesn't really add much except a guessing game of what Hidden Power types the opponent has.

PML OU: Triples OU is back, but this time with PML rules! Process: First, tier the Sync Moves from PML. Second, add them to PS! move database in whichever server it is hosted. New "PML Clause(s)": No timer; Attack timing is calculated by 10 ÷ Spe = seconds before move execution; Energy gauge added; Sync move execution adds 1 bar to both sides' gauges; Sync moves can only be chosen every 10 bars; All teammates are visible simultaneously. Battles are 3-on-3 at a time, and each side only gets to switch 1 Pokémon in only after one has fainted in a place on the battlefield, with a maximum of 2 designated per slot (this can be organized determined before battle begins).
I get it that the last part of the PML Clause(s) is confusing, but if you play the app, you know what it's referencing.
This may not be doable in Pokémon Showdown!, but it's something we should definitely consider implementing (at least in my opinion)!
Now THIS sounds interesting. It sounds like a Pet Mod, but it also sounds really interesting. Granted, I haven't played Pokemon Masters, so I don't have a great idea of what you're actually talking about, but I can tell it has something to do with real-time move cooldowns and energy gauges.

Arai

aka the situation
PML OU: Triples OU is back, but this time with PML rules! Process: First, tier the Sync Moves from PML. Second, add them to PS! move database in whichever server it is hosted. New "PML Clause(s)": No timer; Attack timing is calculated by 10 ÷ Spe = seconds before move execution; Energy gauge added; Sync move execution adds 1 bar to both sides' gauges; Sync moves can only be chosen every 10 bars; All teammates are visible simultaneously. Battles are 3-on-3 at a time, and each side only gets to switch 1 Pokémon in only after one has fainted in a place on the battlefield, with a maximum of 2 designated per slot (this can be organized determined before battle begins).
This may not be doable in Pokémon Showdown!, but it's something we should definitely consider implementing (at least in my opinion)!
Honestly I love the idea of PML on showdown. This would be really cool to see.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Some thoughts on Kantofication... it's largely playable by simply challenging in Gen 1 Custom Game format. However, there are some caveats.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1customgame-970078070
Proof of concept. Regice is allowed to exist; it is using its 100 base Special Attack instead of 200 from Special Defense. All Special stats appear to take from Special Attack instead of Special Defense if not already known from gen 1.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1customgame-970080097
Previous gen 'mons receive all their classic configurations including old typings. Also, non gen 1 moves work, although they're not allowed in this meta.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1customgame-970083333 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1customgame-970084844
Bisharp becomes typeless and Gardevoir becomes pure Psychic (as it was in gen 3). Florges is considered typeless. Either way, the Fairy and Dark/Steel typings are effectively wiped.

As a bonus, it seems like if the 'mon was a non-Fairy typing in past gens, it will receive that original typing. Not sure if this is what is desired for this meta. Then again, would Clefable be allowed because it's reverted to Normal for gen 1 or should it remain banned due to being pure Fairy in gen 7? Maybe blanket reset all Fairy-types to Normal? Would be inconsistent with Dark or Steel remaining banned, though.

Anyways, if anyone wants to do more testing of actual teams with this knowledge, I'll be lurking in the OM room on PS.

Some thoughts on Kantofication... it's largely playable by simply challenging in Gen 1 Custom Game format. However, there are some caveats.

As a bonus, it seems like if the 'mon was a non-Fairy typing in past gens, it will receive that original typing. Not sure if this is what is desired for this meta. Then again, would Clefable be allowed because it's reverted to Normal for gen 1 or should it remain banned due to being pure Fairy in gen 7? Maybe blanket reset all Fairy-types to Normal? Would be inconsistent with Dark or Steel remaining banned, though.

Anyways, if anyone wants to do more testing of actual teams with this knowledge, I'll be lurking in the OM room on PS.
Look more into the relationship they Type has with its Egg Group. There has never been a Normal-type Amorphous group mon, so… Did Fairy group exist in gen 1? I'm no expert, but I usually detect patterns well.

This sounds like it could be interesting. I'd consider keeping the choice items unbanned, though.

Choice items, Eviolite, and Assault Vest provide huge stat boosts.

Life Orb is even more risky, as you're now losing 20% of your HP every time you attack.

I see healing berries becoming very popular.

Power Herb could see some use. If this was Ubers-based, Xerneas would be absurd.

Rocky Helmet deals huge damage to contact attackers.

Having two Focus Sashes is only really useful for Shedinja. Depending on how it's coded, it might not do anything, as both the sashes might activate at once.

Air Balloon might be good. Once again, it depends on how it's coded.

If both are activated at once, Weakness Policy is terrifying.

Mega stones and Z-crystals wouldn't change at all.
this OM literally already happened

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dual-wielding.3608611/

Blankmons
Mechanic
: Blankmons is a ou-based metagame where is no more type effectivity, weaknesses, immunities, resistances and, neutralities, are all set to be neutral damage. STAB, and type bonus effects (Electric types can't be paralyzed, ghosts cannot be trapped, flying types are immune to all hazards except stealth rocks etc) are all still in effect. Stealth rocks do the same amount of damage to a volcarona, and to a rhydon.

Shedinja
Everything that was previously hindered by it's weakness, Volcarona is the best example of this because it can easily switch into rocks now and reek havoc on anything later in the game where walls were destroyed, Landot will be an absolute beast as it now has no quad weakness, Dragon types will be severely buffed as nothing is immune to dragon types, which will make dragonite, an already buff and fearsome mon, a pure powerhouse wielding dragon dance for some free stat buffs with it's major bulk in it's multiscale, and hazard immunity. (I say immunity because stealth rocks will be really bad in this meta.) To allow it to freely setup a couple times and absolutely destroy everything with an outrage with the metronome item. Toxapex is also perfect for this metagame and I assume it will be like balanced hackmon's need for a prankster-haze user. It packs insane bulk, and the broken move: haze, getting rid of everything's stat changes on the field, which is probably the only thing that dragonite has to fear. Normal types will also be crowned kings along their dragon type beasts just like gen-1, nothing is immune to it or resists it, which makes it a really REALLY good offensive types, the balance of normal type moves used to be: they're normal type, Now that doesn't matter, as normal type is the same as any other. This makes stuff like snorlax unbelivably fat and offensive if used right, and mummy slaking will be a threat you will have to look out for every game. Pokemon that get extreme-speed are now much more useful as-well (ahem dragonite), as it is now just a free, decent base power priority 2 move, and any normal types get STAB with it too. This metagame of no type-chart might sound like it will be completely stall based, but on the contrary, it will only be slightly stall favoured, as much as any meta, you see, you've gotta remember that dragon types can now hit fairy types with their amazing STAB moves (literraly just outrage + metronome item will be so busted). toxapex, clefairy, and quagsire all come to mind as viable stall mons or even just normal mons in any team to ward off against hyper offensive teams. The only ban-worthy mon mentioned here is dragonite though, but even that is one that's not going to be quickbanned (probably) as it's just a setup-sweeper who is going to be compleatly op AFTER it's boosts and stuff, To break metronome you've just gotta fake-out it (unless it runs it's no-flinch ability, but then if it does that, you've got the ability to whack it with other high powered pokemon), Dragonite and other dragon types will surely be overpowered threats though.

Strategy:

Dragonite:
Dragonite will be an absolute monster, with insane bulk, and great abilities, it can run multiscale-dragondance to setup almost freely then spam attacks that are buffed by the metronome item, it also has a great move in extremespeed, which will be used to severely damage threats that can outspeed it. It can also use inner focus, to guarantee it keeps its metronome buff and is not stopped by fakeout. It also packs roost for more setup windows. This thing will be a monster in even bad players hands. Let alone a good player, this can be used to completely destroy teams if used properly. The only reason it's not banned is because of stuff like quagsire and toxapex being beasts in this meta on the defensive side.

Hydreigon:
Hydreigon is a monster without it's fairy weakness, it packs levitate which gives it an immunity, which is just amazing, which makes it an automatic counter to most ground type offensive mons. It can just freely spam attacks with an amazing speed and spatk stat that are nothing to scoff at. It will be an absolute beast and something every good team will have to prepare for
Volcarona
This is a true beast, power in the hands of volca is not a thing that is new to it, It has had it's taste of power in many other oms, and will certainly be a true powerhouse here, QD (quiver dance) Is such an amazing move that buffs it's speed and spatk like a special version of dragondance and gives it some spdef too. Volca is already quite fat in ou and is formidable there, but it can only be very early game because of rocks, here, rocks don't do 50-49%, That makes volcarona already quite the feat. But now it has no quad weakness (or weakness at all actually) so it's back to being a tank. Not a tank in videogame terms as in fat and doesn't hit too hard. No, I mean like a real life tank, fat, chonky, can take hits, (it also has roost on top of that), and explodes it's opponents, It can pack bug buzz as it's main STAB, (or flamethrower if you aren't running swarm which can be reccomended) And fiery dance is used to kill anything a little weaker, because of the chance of a spatk buff. Volca will be a monster. It is hardwalled by some unaware stall, but it has two attacks and roost, meaning it can just pray be used to kill the wall if used properly. Most viable teams will either have to have a volcarona counter or just pray every game for no volcarona.

Mega Mawile
Mega-Wile was already a beast, a good set for it was max attack and defense but it was quite weak to super effective things, never allowing it to setup it's much needed swords dance to dish out really high-powered sucker punches. But now that problem is solved, Mawile won't be that good against many special attackers, but it can run some other stat spreads for that. The main thing is: It's a mon who was hindered by super effective attacks, Now it can just setup SD freely when it needs to and sucker punch the world away, and if theres a trick room team up against you, they gotta PRAY you don't know how to use your mawile. It's probably going to be the go-to mega.
Landorus-T
Oh boy it's the space doggo, it's super fat here, boasting no weaknesses (like everything else) but the thing that sets it aside is intimidate, that alone is a great ability, and it also has hazard immunity. It can usually get its rock polish and swords dance setup, which will make it unstoppable by anything not fat with its STAB earthquake, But mons with levitate will give it a really hard time. For those it would have to be weary. I don't know what else to say here, It's going to be quite formidable,

Questions for the community: Moves like freeze dry are the main thing to discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)