Metagamiate!

All I did was correct your very misleading calcs, showing them with and without stealth rock. Thundurus, ok, sure, it could be calculated differently. It could also include uproar but hey whatever. Thundurus can also use T-bolt + Hyper beam for a 2hko against +1 Lugia. Of those pokemon only Medicham is a bad matchup against Lugia.

HOWEVER, I totally understand the point: multiscale prevents OHKOs and turns many things into 3hko's. Lugia has a lot of bulk and walls many things without toxic. Just you can't showcase something while being totally misleading by showing calcs only with multiscale.

The reason I just answered with no was because of how obviously outrageously overpowered this pokemon seem, and in your comment you didn't provide any reason why we should do that or why it would be a good thing.
Giratina walls like 80% of the phisical metagame on his own, mewtwo has more bulk than what are considered tanks in OU while having the potential to kill... well everything with ridiculous speed, immense power and stupid coverage.

I don't really see why you'd unban ubers in a OU based meta just for the sake of it.

Let me reiterate for you:
  • The ubers mentioned do not benefit (much) from the -iate bonus.
  • They have the potential to slow down an offense-centered metagame.

I mentioned that some that are offense-oriented, despite getting little from -iate bonus, may not be fun to include (eg. Kyogre, Mewtwo, etc.), but I did not outright exclude them for that reason alone. I'm more interested as to how more defensive mons would affect the metagame, but your logic regarding mewtwo is fine. Okay, so mewtwo's access to Psystrike, plethora of coverage moves, respectable bulk, and excellent offensive stats make it too much for -iate. But it's naive to dismiss something on a glance of BST or where it's tiered in a very different metagame. Think of Kyurem (Regular) with 660 BST in BL and Hoopa-U with 680 in OU. Or Genesect (600), Blaziken (530), Greninja (530), among others, who are banned to ubers with comparatively terrible stats.

The point is pokemon in this tier are strong. Every physical attacker chooses 1 stab type to become 1.95x instead of 1.5x dmg. And every physical pokemon now has a marginally stronger than earthquake stab move. They wouldn't easily be outclassed against ubers that don't receive the boost.

In every metagame it makes sense to question and discuss bans. It's also just fine the way it is. Perhaps it's just something to consider for the tier outside of MotM on showdown.

I tried making a Ubers Metagamiate team Guess wat pokemon gets helped a lot?
Mega Lucario
It can now use steel-type adaptabiliy return and Extreme Speed, a EXTREME NOTABLE BUFF
Return: 265.2 BP
ESpeed: 208 BP w/ +2 Priority ._.

Anyway back to the actual metagame we are playing in, I finally found a great stop to MegaMedicham and actually lots of other attackers.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Facade

His Dark Facade hits for 273BP off of 92 Atk, not bad at all. He's immune to three types (Medicham's STABS) and cripples with burns. Just keep him resting to stay at full health and hit hardest with his -ate STAB.

Anyway back to the actual metagame we are playing in, I finally found a great stop to MegaMedicham and actually lots of other attackers.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Facade

His Dark Facade hits for 273BP off of 92 Atk, not bad at all. He's immune to three types (Medicham's STABS) and cripples with burns. Just keep him resting to stay at full health and hit hardest with his -ate STAB.
Sleep doesn't count as a status that boosts Facade. Sowwy

Sleep doesn't count as a status that boosts Facade. Sowwy
Whaaaat? I didn't think there was any other than freeze. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna just change it to Return and settle for less power.

Also, any word on viability rankings? Here I'll make it easy:

S: Noivern, LandoT, Weavile, MMedicham, MAerodactyl, Lucario, Zygarde, Arcanine, MLop, and MMetagross. (That's basically all I have been battling against and it's getting pretty old). Not meant to sound sarcastic or rude, just being honest

Last edited:
Whaaaat? I didn't think there was any other than freeze. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna just change it to Return and settle for less power.

Also, any word on viability rankings? Here I'll make it easy:

S: Noivern, LandoT, Weavile, MMedicham, MAerodactyl, Lucario, Zygarde, Arcanine, MLop, and MMetagross. (That's basically all I have been battling against and it's getting pretty old). Not meant to sound sarcastic or rude, just being honest
Mega Lop isn't even good why do ppl run it.

Noivern and Zygarde should be suspected seriously.

They're both pretty much on every team and are a free kill with little effort... aegis was banned and id argue he was on fewer of the higher rank teams than either...

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Well, it's the end of Monday, so Aegislash will remain banned since almost nobody is arguing for it to stay.

With that being said, what are your thoughts on Noivern's power in the metagame? I've been seeing quite a few of them and the post right above this one seems to say it's broken.

Noivern mandates you have a fairly solid Special wall, and it can Trick-Choice Chansey to screw it up. I haven't seen Trick-Choice much, but it's something it can do, and now that it can run both Flying Boomburst and Dragon Boomburst, it's hard to find anything that can switch in on it reliably aside from Chansey. (Even though Flying Boomburst is by far the better choice in a general sense)

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

(Adaptability to approximate the -ate effect)

Yeah, previously bulky Tyranitar was a solid check to Noivern that didn't mind Trick/was Mega and thus immune to Trick, which of course could Pursuit-trap. Shiny Noivern vaporizes it with Boomburst if it tries to switch in, even if it's already Mega-d and at full health. Ouch.

I'm unsure if it's broken, but to my surprise the Shiny implementation has actually made it a much more frustrating attacker to face.

Specially Defensive Heatran walls it regardless of whether it's Dragon or Flying, but it lacks recovery beyond Leftovers. There's not that many Steel types that have good Special bulk... Jirachi can wall it, being able to tank even Choice Specs Flamethrower indefinitely via Wishtect+Leftovers, but again, Trick-Choice.

Zygarde isn't really that great, in all honesty, among other points consistently struggling against Skarmory, and probably isn't even the best -atespeeder in the meta. Arcanine seems to be the best -atespeeder at the moment, among other points able to murder the one reliable stop to its type of -atespeed (Heatran, meet Close Combat) and in general having a good combination of bulk, firepower, and a surprising amount of utility. (It can drop Will O Wisps on incoming checks like Hippowdon and switch out, it can heal with Morning Sun to allow it to come in repeatedly even in the face of Stealth Rock, Intimidate is very useful generally and Flashfire lets it counter Entei/switch into Fire types in general)

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Just sort of wanted to add that Noivern can pretty easily run a Taunt/Roost set with a Life Orb if it really wants to beat many of its common checks in exchange for a slightly worse matchup versus everything that isn't a check (but lets be real, they're usually getting destroyed anyway), especially because Flying + Fighting (Focus Blast) and Dragon + Fire (Flamethrower) have such strong neutral coverage. I believe LO Taunt/Roost eventually beats most Chansey sets, especially if they have another mon they need to check during the match, because Boomburst does 25% minimum to bold variants and has a 57.6% chance to 4hko calm. Base 85 hp means 2 roosts more or less exactly = 3 seismic tosses plus one round of life orb recoil.

Noivern mandates you have a fairly solid Special wall, and it can Trick-Choice Chansey to screw it up. I haven't seen Trick-Choice much, but it's something it can do, and now that it can run both Flying Boomburst and Dragon Boomburst, it's hard to find anything that can switch in on it reliably aside from Chansey. (Even though Flying Boomburst is by far the better choice in a general sense)

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

(Adaptability to approximate the -ate effect)

Yeah, previously bulky Tyranitar was a solid check to Noivern that didn't mind Trick/was Mega and thus immune to Trick, which of course could Pursuit-trap. Shiny Noivern vaporizes it with Boomburst if it tries to switch in, even if it's already Mega-d and at full health. Ouch.

I'm unsure if it's broken, but to my surprise the Shiny implementation has actually made it a much more frustrating attacker to face.

Specially Defensive Heatran walls it regardless of whether it's Dragon or Flying, but it lacks recovery beyond Leftovers. There's not that many Steel types that have good Special bulk... Jirachi can wall it, being able to tank even Choice Specs Flamethrower indefinitely via Wishtect+Leftovers, but again, Trick-Choice.

Zygarde isn't really that great, in all honesty, among other points consistently struggling against Skarmory, and probably isn't even the best -atespeeder in the meta. Arcanine seems to be the best -atespeeder at the moment, among other points able to murder the one reliable stop to its type of -atespeed (Heatran, meet Close Combat) and in general having a good combination of bulk, firepower, and a surprising amount of utility. (It can drop Will O Wisps on incoming checks like Hippowdon and switch out, it can heal with Morning Sun to allow it to come in repeatedly even in the face of Stealth Rock, Intimidate is very useful generally and Flashfire lets it counter Entei/switch into Fire types in general)
Everyone seems to have forgotten that Soundproof exists. I know it's notorious for having few and low tier users, but it's definitely usable. I have been running a Soundproof Exploud on my two best teams, and since everyone expects it to be Scrappy it can switch in on the (choiced) Boomburst and start wrecking with its own Boomburst. Normalate + STAB = 273 BP. Same BP as Noivern's, with 3 types that resist/immune to it (flying has 3 resists), and Exploud is only missing 6 SpA points. Of course there are many more reasons to run Noivern (speed, typing, moves), but Exploud is also worth running simply because it's immune to BB, hyper voice and Uproar (which are used by special -ates ). It also has great coverage and can take a hit or two.

The only other usable Soundproof mons are Abomasnow, Bouffalant, and MrMime. Abomasnow without hail is desperate, but it can KO Noivern easy and still has great offensive coverage. Bouff is bulky and hard hitting, but doesn't run Scarf as well as Exploud and Abomasnow. Normal ate Head Charge hurts though. Lastly, MrMime is very niche but has a strong Fairy Uproar, decent SpD and speed, along with STAB Psychic for all the fighting types here.

TL;DR: Exploud is good, kills Noivern and other sound attackers. Other Soundproof mons are niche but have their uses in this tier. I have used Exploud to great success and MrMime to some success.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Soundproof exists. I know it's notorious for having few and low tier users, but it's definitely usable. I have been running a Soundproof Exploud on my two best teams, and since everyone expects it to be Scrappy it can switch in on the (choiced) Boomburst and start wrecking with its own Boomburst. Normalate + STAB = 273 BP. Same BP as Noivern's, with 3 types that resist/immune to it (flying has 3 resists), and Exploud is only missing 6 SpA points. Of course there are many more reasons to run Noivern (speed, typing, moves), but Exploud is also worth running simply because it's immune to BB, hyper voice and Uproar (which are used by special -ates ). It also has great coverage and can take a hit or two.

The only other usable Soundproof mons are Abomasnow, Bouffalant, and MrMime. Abomasnow without hail is desperate, but it can KO Noivern easy and still has great offensive coverage. Bouff is bulky and hard hitting, but doesn't run Scarf as well as Exploud and Abomasnow. Normal ate Head Charge hurts though. Lastly, MrMime is very niche but has a strong Fairy Uproar, decent SpD and speed, along with STAB Psychic for all the fighting types here.

TL;DR: Exploud is good, kills Noivern and other sound attackers. Other Soundproof mons are niche but have their uses in this tier. I have used Exploud to great success and MrMime to some success.
I don't think ppl forgot that soundproof exists, they just don't use it because it's not really good.
The only use of exploud in here is soundproof so you're not fooling anyone, it's obvious from team preview and causes the same predict as with ttar / heatran. Except if the noivern has draco (which a lot of them do) in which case it ca just drop one as a safe mid ground.
Offensively it hits the same stuff as noivern with the same checks as noivern except it doesn't have insane speed and fire + fighting resist so it really seems rather niche. It also fails to check any non specs noivern and considering checking noivern is its only use, idk.

Seems useable, just very niche.

Last edited:
I'm not finding Noivern much trouble to deal with at all, sure it can get a kill on almost anything but in a meta where priority, especially Dragon and Ice priority are rampant, there are plenty of things to check it. I have been running Zygarde and Whimsicott, both of which OHKO just fine, same for other team members Scarf Landorus and exploding Forry. On that topic...

Thought I'd share a lead that I think is perfect for the metagame:

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
This is suited for how clearly offensive the meta is. Stealth Rocks are amazing in this, as many mons are x2 weak to them (Weavile, aerodactyl, entei) and many times, teams forego hazard removal so they can have another offensive threat! If this is the case, spam hazards away! In addition, this set gets an extremely powerful boosted explosion, which forretress will get off more times than not due to custap berry. EVs are to maximize the power of explosion and to give it a chance to remove opposing team hazards vs other things like another forretress. Bug or steel explosion is user's choice, I prefer steel, but bug can beat things like Ferrothorn, when it is attempting to spread its own hazards. Other options have endure, if you really want to get that explosion off, or toxic spikes.
Loving this Forry, although I run Protect over Rapid Spin to reliably beat Weavile and other Fake Out users which are often found as leads. Steel Explosion is great for KOing or heavily denting everything except Magnezone, although you shouldn't try it if you know a poke can get you down to Sturdy and then hit you with priority.

This is a set I have found pretty useful:

Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Extremespeed puts on the hurt, but what do you do against all those Togekiss flying around? Coil and Iron Tail does the job, and 236 EVs in Speed ensures that you hit first unless Kiss is Scarfed or is an Espeed variant (Non Hustle Espeed does max 53% to Zygarde and that's without a Coil). It also seems quite easy to grab a Coil or even two, making Zygarde a good win condition once opposing Zygarde, Ice priority users and faster Fairy types have been taken out.
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I'm not finding Noivern much trouble to deal with at all, sure it can get a kill on almost anything but in a meta where priority, especially Dragon and Ice priority are rampant, there are plenty of things to check it. I have been running Zygarde and Whimsicott, both of which OHKO just fine, same for other team members Scarf Landorus and exploding Forry. On that topic...

Loving this Forry, although I run Protect over Rapid Spin to reliably beat Weavile and other Fake Out users which are often found as leads. Steel Explosion is great for KOing or heavily denting everything except Magnezone, although you shouldn't try it if you know a poke can get you down to Sturdy and then hit you with priority.

This is a set I have found pretty useful:

Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Extremespeed puts on the hurt, but what do you do against all those Togekiss flying around? Coil and Iron Tail does the job, and 236 EVs in Speed ensures that you hit first unless Kiss is Scarfed or is an Espeed variant (Non Hustle Espeed does max 53% to Zygarde and that's without a Coil). It also seems quite easy to grab a Coil or even two, making Zygarde a good win condition once opposing Zygarde, Ice priority users and faster Fairy types have been taken out.
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
or you can run stone edge which doesnt leave you as death fodder to skarm, while still hitting every relevant fairy in the tier except unaware clef, which ignores the accuracy boost coil provides anyways, meaning the battle is still slightly in clefs favor unless your lucky. idk, i guess iron tail is a cool alternative...but i don't see the merit of it over stone edge, which hits the two prominent zygarde counters. togekiss is really the only fairy ive ever seen used...other then mr mime and klefki

Last edited:
or you can run stone edge which doesnt leave you as death fodder to skarm, while still hitting every relevant fairy in the tier except unaware clef, which ignores the accuracy boost coil provides anyways, meaning the battle is still slightly in clefs favor unless your lucky. idk, i guess iron tail is a cool alternative...but i don't see the merit of it over stone edge, which hits the two prominent zygarde counters. togekiss is really the only fairy ive ever seen used...other then mr mime and klefki
Whimsicott bruh. Switches on every single move zygarde can toss at him and kill him with a priority tri-attack.

006s_1.gif

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake/Quick Attack

THIS.SET.ROCKS.
What the heck is Dragon Claw? This set gives Charizard X the true and much needed Dragon Power. Set up with DD. Wallbreak with Double Edge, or SWEEP with Return. You can use a non-shiny version, but it is not much needed because we have the hard hitting Flare Blitz with us, and I don't recommend it. You can too use quick attack instead of Earthquake for priority. Charizard X also resists Flariate Entei ESPEED by 0.25 damage. But the Donald Trump of this tier, Zygarde, defeats this dude with one ESPEED.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok so here is the Official Metagamiate viability rankings created by me,motherlove, AllJokesAside, Ghoul King, Manchamp, Chopin Alkaninoff, OM room, and most of the OM community on PS!

Metagamiate Viability Rankings:

S-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

Lucario
Medicham-Mega
Noivern

A-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame and can perform well against most play styles, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

A+

Arcanine
Gliscor
Metagross-Mega
Slowbro
Slowbro-Mega
Weavile
Zygarde

A

Azumarill
Chansey
Charizard-Mega X
Ferrothorn
Garchomp
Hoopa-U
Jirachi
Klefki
Landorus-T
Aerodactyl-Mega
Talonflame
Tyranitar

A-

Excadrill
Heatran
Mew
Salamence
Skarmory
Starmie
Tornadus-Therian
Thundurus-Incarnate
Venusaur-Mega

B-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

B+

Azelf
Breloom
Gyarados
Hippowdon
Keldeo
Diancie-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Chesnaught
Staraptor
Togekiss
Tyranitar-Mega
Whimsicott

B

Bisharp
Clefable
Crawdaunt
Entei
Diancie
Exploud
Gengar
Latios
Lopunny-Mega
Sharpedo-Mega
Terrakion
Magnezone
Forretress
Quagsire
Rotom-Wash
Gardevoir

B-

Avalugg
Heracross
Latias
Pikachu
Porygon-Z
Swellow
Tentacruel
Zapdos
Omastar

C-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective in the right setting, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.

C+

Blissey
Hitmontop
Luxray
Hitmonlee
Diggersby
Golem

C

Mr Mime
Crobat
Hariyama
Machamp
Suicune
Jellicent
Hawlucha

C-

Abomasnow
Bouffalant
Linoone
Banette-Mega
Cradily
Cloyster

D-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who have a small niche in the current metagame, but have very noticeable flaws that make them more trouble than they're worth the majority of the time. These Pokemon are, for the most part, unencouraged to use.

Shedinja
Gigalith
Conkeldurr

Pikachuun can you add to OP?
(still waiting for Noivern suspect...)

Discuss any changes you wish to make and we as a community will determine its validity.

Last edited:
Ok so here is the Official Metagamiate viability rankings created by me,motherlove, AllJokesAside, Ghoul King, Manchamp, Chopin Alkaninoff, OM room, and most of the OM community on PS!

Metagamiate Viability Rankings:

S-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

Lucario
Medicham-Mega
Noivern

A-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame and can perform well against most play styles, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

A+

Arcanine
Gliscor
Metagross-Mega
Slowbro
Slowbro-Mega
Weavile
Zygarde

A

Azumarill
Chansey
Charizard-Mega X
Ferrothorn
Garchomp
Hoopa-U
Jirachi
Klefki
Landorus-T
Aerodactyl-Mega
Talonflame
Tyranitar

A-

Heatran
Mew
Salamence
Skarmory
Starmie
Tornadus-Therian
Thundurus-Incarnate
Venusaur-Mega

B-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

B+

Azelf
Breloom
Gyarados
Hippowdon
Keldeo
Diancie-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Chesnaught
Staraptor
Togekiss
Tyranitar-Mega
Whimsicott

B

Bisharp
Clefable
Crawdaunt
Entei
Diancie
Exploud
Gengar
Latios
Lopunny-Mega
Sharpedo-Mega
Terrakion
Magnezone
Forretress
Quagsire
Rotom-Wash
Gardevoir

B-

Avalugg
Heracross
Latias
Pikachu
Porygon-Z
Swellow
Tentacruel
Zapdos
Omastar

C-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective in the right setting, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.

C+

Blissey
Hitmontop
Luxray
Hitmonlee
Diggersby
Golem

C

Mr Mime
Crobat
Hariyama
Machamp
Suicune
Jellicent
Hawlucha

C-

Abomasnow
Bouffalant
Linoone
Banette-Mega
Cradily
Cloyster

D-Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who have a small niche in the current metagame, but have very noticeable flaws that make them more trouble than they're worth the majority of the time. These Pokemon are, for the most part, unencouraged to use.

Shedinja
Gigalith
Conkeldurr

Pikachuun can you add to OP?
(still waiting for Noivern suspect...)

Discuss any changes you wish to make and we as a community will determine its validity.
Shouldn't chatot be ranked?
I mean sure it's slower than majority of other boombursters in the tier but it has access to chatter which is really nice (Despite Boomburst STAB)
It also has a higher special attack stat than swellow which is great.

It should be at least C+ if not B-

(Will make a more detailed post when off phone)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)