Media Metalheads Thread III

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Describing an Amon Amarth album with the adjectives "pretty" and "nice" is immensely amusing to me.

THAT SAID, I just gave it a listen and I really rather enjoyed it. Some interesting shit they decided to pull, I'll decide later if that shit was cheesy and bad, or actually cheesy and good.

amon amarth get way more shit than they deserve.

i discovered a band called before the dawn, listened to their rise of the phoenix album, and i really liked it. it's melodeath so i wouldn't recommend those that with biases toward the genre listen to it but if you're capable of going in with an open mind you will probably enjoy it.

norulz

excellent
edit 2: Jane Doe by Converge is incredible holy shit I have been missing out
i suggest you check out you fail me when you're done with jane doe
it's what follows up the best in terms of raw emotion and aggressiveness

Warped tour tomorrow, looking forward to seeing especially crossfaith. August Burns Red's new album has piqued my interest after listening to a couple of songs, seeing them live tomorrow will probably decide whether I check the rest of it out.

if we're talking about concerts i'm going to see children of bodom in hartford ct in a month from yesterday :toast:

i listened to transilvanian hunger by darkthrone. i liked it a lot. yes i'm new.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I may or may not be going to Mayhem fest in Bangor when that comes around, I haven't decided (plus I'd need time off work). Although the only band I'd really be interested in seeing there is Mastodon and maybe Behemoth.

used to listen to a lot of metal, but in recent years i've sort of gravitated toward indie rock and post-punk... feel like i can still contribute to this thread, i guess.

for anyone interested in funeral doom, i'd recommend that you listen to esoteric's the maniacal vale if you haven't already. it's a really long listen (over one hundred minutes!), but it's really worth it. the songs on the album are relentless and assiduous, sometimes stretching to over twenty minutes in length, but there are very few dull moments on the record. the ambient sections are also really great. iirc metamorphogenesis is a bit more ambient and drony, but that's part of the fun of listening to it.

uhh, other stuff that i can recommend from the top of my head would be antediluvian's through the cervix of hawaah (death metal), the ocean's precambrian (prog?), and electric wizard's dopethrone. feedbacker by boris is also worth a mention if you like sludgy/drony stuff i guess.

other things:

salvation by cult of luna
through silver and blood by neurosis
christmas by old man gloom
jesu by jesu
si monumentum requires, circumspice by deathspell omega
obscura by gorguts (I think BKC mentioned this; I found this record when I was in middle school, and it's still probably the best death metal album that I've listened to; although I haven't listened to anything comparable to it, I'd recommend Nesphite by Demilich if you haven't already checked it out)
above the weeping world by insomnium

first four are sludge, dso is black/death i think, gorguts is death metal, insomnium is melodeath

sorry for the long post. i know very little about metal, so i apologize if my recommendations are things you've already heard!

welcome to the thread Thursday.

Wr All the Time, while not metal, is an excellent album and the best they're ever done.

made my way up to massacra's third album, signs of the decline. the name's kina fitting... solid stuff regardlesss.

next on my list of things to listen to: merciless - unbound

bumped storm of the light's bane up to a 5 btw :toast:

in celebration of smogon being back up, i'm posting about this band doomvm showed me called deathspell omega. despite their name sounding like something straight out of world of warcraft, they're really good. they're labeled as black metal but i find them closer to death/thrash. either way they're excellent.

Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence

two of the angriest, fastest thrash albums i have ever heard. right up there with Reign In Blood in terms of aggression. really good stuff.

I see a lot of people talk about The Ocean, but I searched them on RYM and saw what genres they fall under and those aren't really my sort of thing... I'll give them a try though, what albums should I start with?

Found a Japanese tech-death band called Desecravity and listened to their debut album, it's pretty sick.

Also, From Wisdom to Hate is monstrous. I can't wait for Colored Sands later this year :toast:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pelagial is probably their most accessible album imo, then Heliocentric and Anthropocentric.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I gave Pelagial a listen after seeing these posts earlier today. I really like it a lot. Way better than I thought it would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)