Middle Cup Discussion Thread

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, I tried Sandstorm, and it flat-out failed. I ran a team of Lairon/Rhydon/Magneton/Gabite/Metang/Piloswine and it just didn't work, sadly.

With no autoweather pokemon, hail/sandstorm teams are not very viable... rain is surprisingly not good, probably do to the lack of good water types... and sunny day seems like the most viable team atm due to its strong collection of sweepers.

I think Middle Cup will be ruled by some pokes, but well, I would try it.
I choose you, Pikachu!
:D I always wanted to say that!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How does the Pomeg glitch allow Porygon2 to get Tri Attack (learned at level 51) exactly?

And if Tri Attack is illegal, Swift is a potential (albeit mediocre) replacement.

I feel the only reason Sandstorm and Hail(lol) teams aren't great is the fact that they provide no offensive boost whatsoever. Hail gives 100% accuracy Blizzard but that's basically it. Sweeping is completely unassisted asides from Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, which iirc, not one MC pokemon can use barring Piloswine. He doesn't even have the SpA to abuse Hail so that is besides the point. In general pure SS and Hail teams are pointed to stalling which is not really viable in 7/8 turns. That and they'res no really good abusers all make those teams inviable. On Rain Dance teams, the only Swift Swimmer is Lombre who may or may not be cause for the attempt at a Rain Dance team. Other than him, attempting to super power your water types by trying to Scarf them or Specs them and hit hard with Hydro Pump may prove possible but who knows. I find this meta highly interesting if it was more organized but sadly user bases are obviously hard to pick up. If only.

Vigoroth could actually work somewhat well. A set of Endure / Flail / Reversal / Night Slash @ Salac Berry would be decent except for revenge killers (Sub over Endure could work as well).

I was on CAP and apparently you can't ask for MC battles on main chat, so should we schedule them on this thread, or in the social group, or what?

Nas

Banned deucer.
I would definately love to see this made an official tier. Anyone have any good counters for RP Rhydon? lol.

I was on CAP and apparently you can't ask for MC battles on main chat, so should we schedule them on this thread, or in the social group, or what?
Just join the irc channel (#middlecup on synirc), there are plenty of people willing to play there.

Also marshtomp seems the best rp groudon counter atm, but it is easily revenged too (as even with a RP, it is outsped by plenty of scarfers)

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just join the irc channel (#middlecup on synirc), there are plenty of people willing to play there.

Also marshtomp seems the best rp groudon counter atm, but it is easily revenged too (as even with a RP, it is outsped by plenty of scarfers)
I had no idea Groudon was in Middle Cup.

Marshtomp is pretty decent actually, it's the most reliable Stealth Rocker hands down, and is actually pretty hard to take down. its typing isn't great for middle cup, since it resists Rock and Electric, but not much else. I do see it functioning effectively in defensive teams, however. Just be a little careful since without investment stuff like Gabite and DD Dragonair is still Outraging its ass.

Marshtomp is pretty good. Dusclops can wall it if it lacks Crunch.
...No.

Marshtomp is fine I guess, but Dusclops is absolute set-up fodder for most Rhydon. And even if the Rhydon user doesn't have 51 Subs (188 HP EVs), even Jolly LO manages to 2HKO 252/252 Impish Dusclops with EQ/SE. That's how powerful Rhydon is.

Marshtomp is even weaker but can outspeed and can OHKO with Surf. So it's a bit better overall.

Gabite is a beast. Oh, and if we start banning stuff, will we do so under the standard suspect characteristics (support, offensive, defensive)?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
IMO Rhydon is definitely too powerful
while his typing may be a let down in defensive ways its a blessing for offense. edgequake is afaik unresisted in mc and its attacks are powerful enough to ohko or 2hko the entire metagame.

another suspect should be porygon-2 download and agility make it near to impossible to stop for everything not named chansey or priority users(wich are quite common) it also got decent defenses coupled with recover and a large support movepool.

Chansey however isnt such a large problem she can stall out special attacker but there are a lot physical attackers that can ko or set up on her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)