Milotic

Sleep Talk is not a TM so that set would be illegal with Marvel Scale.
Heh, um this is the Milotic forum. And with 394 HP, Milotic trumps Dragonair anyday!

So, I'm tempted to ask what people prefer... Rest-talk or Recover? Milotic can fill a similar niche (minus spin blocking, + status absorption) as Burungeru--with Boiling Water for Physical Attackers and STAB, Toxic for fellow Bulky Waters (especially Burungeru), Ice Beam for Dragons and coverage, or maybe Haze, considering Buru doesn't get it, Suicune doesn't have room for it, and rarely does Vaporeon, and Recover... what about hidden power possibilities? Electric won't do much to Buru or Vappy without Toxic, and Gyarados isn't all that common anymore... Fire can do a number on Nattorei that switch in... even better if they try to take your Boiling Water and get burned.

the comparaison between dragonair and milotic is just impossible to me.Milotic is far far better as even her typing is defensivly better.

I personnaly prefer rest-talk with dragon tail because that way she makes great use of her ability any time she wants and she can then take physical attacks like a champ (even scarier with boiling water's burning chance) and that way she distinguish herself from suicune or vaporeon or even Burungeru.
and for the attacks i see that dragon tail and boiling water is enough because that way she can phaze those that she can't counter (nattorei remains a problem but he can't OHKO her and i don't think that the HP fire on her is a good idea to deal with him you just have to switch)and burn and "damage" those that she can take.
I think that toxic is also an exellent choice on her so that way she can perfectly counter Burungeru.
About the HP electric,i don't see it doing much this gen as gyarados,as lovrina said ,is not that commun and it doesn't do a thing to her fellow bulky waters.

I do really think that rest talk dragon tail can create to milotic a niche as a GREAT status absorber and a phazer this gen as suicune and vappy don't have marvel scale and can't phaze through taunt (which is soooo commun).

Sleep Talk is not a TM so that set would be illegal with Marvel Scale.
Sleep Talk and Marvel Scale have been a legal combination since Gen III, since said ability was Milotic's primary ability.
Heh, um this is the Milotic forum. And with 394 HP, Milotic trumps Dragonair anyday!

So, I'm tempted to ask what people prefer... Rest-talk or Recover? Milotic can fill a similar niche (minus spin blocking, + status absorption) as Burungeru--with Boiling Water for Physical Attackers and STAB, Toxic for fellow Bulky Waters (especially Burungeru), Ice Beam for Dragons and coverage, or maybe Haze, considering Buru doesn't get it, Suicune doesn't have room for it, and rarely does Vaporeon, and Recover... what about hidden power possibilities? Electric won't do much to Buru or Vappy without Toxic, and Gyarados isn't all that common anymore... Fire can do a number on Nattorei that switch in... even better if they try to take your Boiling Water and get burned.
I'd rather have Milotic Recover right off the bat. If I went with Rest-Talk, I stand a chance of picking Rest if I use Sleep Talk.

Sleep Talk and Marvel Scale have been a legal combination since Gen III, since said ability was Milotic's primary ability.
He was referring to Dragonair, not Milotic, since Drogonair must be obtained in Dream World via Dratini to obtain Marvel Scale, and Sleep Talk isn't a TM anymore.

He was referring to Dragonair, not Milotic, since Drogonair must be obtained in Dream World via Dratini to obtain Marvel Scale, and Sleep Talk isn't a TM anymore.
Hm? My mistake, then. I thought this thread was just about Milotic, and wasn't reading carefully enough. :-/

Since Milotic didn't change much in the generation shift, are there other viable sets for it?

I think only Recover or Rest-talk really work--unless someone wants to make a Choice Scarf/Specs set, although it gained no new notable offensive options.
Yes lovrina i think that these two are the most viable but milotic can learn magic coat/hypnosis/mirror coat and recover so she maybe can do well in lead position (max PV and max att sp so she can take down hippodown and aerodactyl and boune back the grass knot to roserade thanks to mirror coat).

How bout Dragon Tail over Hypnosis? Hypnosis's accuracy leaves something to be desired and an extra phazeing move is always welcome.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Milotic should have gotten Shed Skin instead of the lulzy Cute Charm? They totally trolled her this time around. D:

Hmm, I think Magic Coat + Hypnosis + STAB MOVE + Recover have potential, though I'm not sure if for a lead.
I have been testing lately a milotic lead exactly like you said
modest
252HP/248attsp/8spd
@the berry that makes you go first (i forgot the name)
-boil over
-recover
-magic coat
-hypnosis
and she did well against some commun leads,hippodown,aerodactyl,tyranitar...
but i must say that the rest-talk set is waaay better

Gotta say this does indeed look like a fantastic gen to use milotic with all the boiling water flying around (it's pretty much guarenteed to be on nearly every team).

Gotta say this does indeed look like a fantastic gen to use milotic with all the boiling water flying around (it's pretty much guarenteed to be on nearly every team). Calm minder sets are going to be reaaally nasty and you don't really have to have a set with toxic since you can just use boiling water which frees a move slot :)

Milotic doesn't learn Calm Mind. Toxic and Boiling Water make for good double status possibilities.

my bad, I was positive it did. I was probably thinking about suicune in the back of my mind. Oh well, still a great time to abuse marvel scale then (though I've never been much of a fan of double status). Guess I'll just go with the dragon tail etc

How does Milotic fare against the likes of, say, Hydreigon? I'm sure she could take a hit (sans maybe Draco Meter), but I doubt that Ice Beam has enough power to reliably take it out unless SpAtk EVs are invested, which would hamper its bulk. If possible, can anyone get some stats?

How does Milotic fare against the likes of, say, Hydreigon? I'm sure she could take a hit (sans maybe Draco Meter), but I doubt that Ice Beam has enough power to reliably take it out unless SpAtk EVs are invested, which would hamper its bulk. If possible, can anyone get some stats?
I've been testing Calm Milotic (Max Hp and Special D) with really great results. Basically, it can survive just about any non speced/boosted special attack. Rotom-W can keep volt-switching it while it Recovers and acts like nothing happens. 394 HP/383 Special Defense means it takes Draco Meteors like a pro, too. If you're running a physical wall (and a grass type), it's pretty darn good!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
gonna ignore that massive bump to ask if you've had a play around with the old DP Life Orb set? Any other Milotic set seems a massive liability in this metagame - Rotom-W and Ferrothorn have brought about the death of the bulky water so you need to move with the times!

Milotic @ Life Orb
Modest
8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

for the most part it's a slower, bulkier, harder-hitting Starmie, which would seem to fit the style of this metagame quite well. Outruns Adamant Dragonite and can take an unboosted Outrage. HP Fire could be used to deter Ferrothorn, but this Milotic likes to play in the Rain and can just smash through it with a couple of Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps anyway (deals around 40% to the standard). HP Grass 2HKOs all Rotom-W builds, as does Rain-boosted Hydro Pump.

Arguably outclassed by Starmie but can perform a few defensive duties such as checking Volcarona and being a bit of a safer switch in to things like Gliscor, Tyranitar, Metagross, Jirachi etc.

gonna ignore that massive bump to ask if you've had a play around with the old DP Life Orb set? Any other Milotic set seems a massive liability in this metagame - Rotom-W and Ferrothorn have brought about the death of the bulky water so you need to move with the times!

Milotic @ Life Orb
Modest
8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

for the most part it's a slower, bulkier, harder-hitting Starmie, which would seem to fit the style of this metagame quite well. Outruns Adamant Dragonite and can take an unboosted Outrage. HP Fire could be used to deter Ferrothorn, but this Milotic likes to play in the Rain and can just smash through it with a couple of Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps anyway (deals around 40% to the standard). HP Grass 2HKOs all Rotom-W builds, as does Rain-boosted Hydro Pump.

Arguably outclassed by Starmie but can perform a few defensive duties such as checking Volcarona and being a bit of a safer switch in to things like Gliscor, Tyranitar, Metagross, Jirachi etc.
I stand by the Calm set because most scarfed Rotom-W only carry Volt Switch, which does 40%--it hates being toxiced or burned, too. Dragon tail can also help wrack up the hazard damage. Of course, Calm is only good for Stall or Balanced teams really, but 394/194/383 isn't bad at all.

I hadn't thought of that, but Stone Cold said it might be worth a try in Rain.
I suppose the lack of psychic typing could be beneficial. It's certainly nice that it can KO stuff without the Rain Boost.

Milotic @ Life Orb
Modest
8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I wouldn't say that the bulky water is dead, IMHO they are more important then ever before due to the introduction of rain. With the introduction of rain, teams have to take into consideration powerful water type attacks and the ones with water immunities make it exceptionally easy. That is part of the reason why the ones with water immunities are still "popular" in OU (gastrodon, vaporeon, and jellicent). Tentacruel is apart of this to a lesser extent, but with awesome defensive typing with poison and good passive recovery with rain dish. We got some niche ones (ex. Quagsire and slowbro) that got major buffs with abilities and of course the popular bulky rotom-w. Lastly pretty much every bulky water this gen got a huge buff with scald.

If you guys haven't tried it yet take the Rest Talk set with serious consideration on a team. A base 95 HP having above Skarm defense stat with the help of Marvel Scale is nothing to scoff at. It essentially has a base defense stat of 150 on the rest talk set.

Ferrothorn can't afford to switch into Scalds--if it gets burned, it has a very low chance of screwing over Milotic, who can phaze (Rest-talk actually has a chance of moving before it completely) it out or more often then not switches to something that can take care of it.

And Calm only kowtows to Leaf Storms or Thunders. Like I said, it can just recover off volt switches! Does anyone know any good teammates for a LO set?

Ferrothorn can't afford to switch into Scalds--if it gets burned, it has a very low chance of screwing over Milotic, who can phaze (Rest-talk actually has a chance of moving before it completely) it out or more often then not switches to something that can take care of it.

And Calm only kowtows to Leaf Storms or Thunders. Like I said, it can just recover off volt switches! Does anyone know any good teammates for a LO set?
While it may not actually hurt Milotic if it gets burned, it can still get SR and 3 layers of spikes really easily. Milotic would still need to get forced out.

I can't find a milotic with sleep talk :[ so i can't run the sleep talk set so i'll take one of your sets in to mind when breeding my favorite pokemon again. Any advice on what pokemon i should use in a team with milotic?

I can't find a milotic with sleep talk :[ so i can't run the sleep talk set so i'll take one of your sets in to mind when breeding my favorite pokemon again. Any advice on what pokemon i should use in a team with milotic?
Which tier are we talking? I've been running it in OU. Milotic uses Dragon Tail, so it likes Hazards a lot. Any entry hazard layer, especially those with physical bulk are nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)