Ladder Mix and Mega

will edit this post with a reqs pic and my vote, but

Can people please post replays showcasing Genesect (and Deo-S if they think it's banworthy I guess)?
From my limited play, I actually don't think either is broken anymore, but I don't think I've played a competent player yet. I've personally been using both on Voltturn HO, and since Gene takes up my Altarianite, I can't use the best Zygarde set. Yes, you can use Pinsirite Gene, but who wants to give themselves the hideous Bug/Flying typing?
Where are your reqs?

Yes, this is a good idea. Anybody have a couple replays? that'd be nice for a suspect folder.
Here's Gene sweeping teams, or at least doing rediculous damage to them:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430191718
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430220393
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430223725
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430237327
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430275786

Here are teams that arent weak to gene, at the cost of being weak to everything else:
Http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430226276

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Ask, and ye shall receive. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-429824087
Unfortunately, I did not save a replay of LaxLapras being very quickly swept by that same Genesect, but he can probably vouch for it being nuts, I think...
Thanks for showing replays against 6 teams that are BLATANTLY unprepared for Genesect, many of them appearing to be low ladder. Posting replays of it sweeping low or mid ladder teams doesn't prove anything honestly, both of you really haven't swayed my opinion one bit with shit replays. Show me replays when people start ACTUALLY RUNNING checks to genesect, like heatran, primaldon (the mere fact that NONE of these teams are running primaldon just proves to me that this is low ladder), or ANY ELECTRIC TYPE, in fact electric/steel types, a great typing, stop pixi and aerilate without flamethrower, which is honestly a shit move on gene. Please don't try to argue that gene being able to run moves to beat its checks and counters makes it broken; we would've banned a LOT of mons in this meta if that was the case.

Thanks for showing replays against 6 teams that are BLATANTLY unprepared for Genesect, many of them appearing to be low ladder. Posting replays of it sweeping low or mid ladder teams doesn't prove anything honestly, both of you really haven't swayed my opinion one bit with shit replays. Show me replays when people start ACTUALLY RUNNING checks to genesect, like heatran, primaldon (the mere fact that NONE of these teams are running primaldon just proves to me that this is low ladder), or ANY ELECTRIC TYPE, in fact electric/steel types, a great typing, stop pixi and aerilate without flamethrower, which is honestly a shit move on gene. Please don't try to argue that gene being able to run moves to beat its checks and counters makes it broken; we would've banned a LOT of mons in this meta if that was the case.
Than you for not watching them, then.
#1 did have PDon, as well as skarm (checks physical sets/ates and gengar (revenges pixigene)
#2 had entei, a steel type, and a fire/poison that 4x resists gene
#3 had heatran and a mawile as well
#4 had an electric and three intimidators
#5 had two fire types, two steels, and a poison type

#6, which shows similar preparation to what you ask, (3 steels, entei, and a ditto, as well as nothing gene could switch in on) loses to common metagame threats

For some reason, my supply of facing Primal Groudons dried up as SOON as I replaced Mismagius with Genesect. (Though I think LaxLapras did have one while facing my Genesect... correct me if I'm wrong)
The thing is... Genesect CAN run Flamethrower, and laugh as non-Blue Orb Steel types get melted into slag. Even if an otherwise good team merely looks at Genesect wrong... it gets swept, just from the Download boost alone. And even if you do have a Heatran or another check... Genesect will just U-turn.... and continue laughing, because it is DEFINITELY paired with a bulky defogger.

And being able to run away while still being an Espeeder and a wallbreaker is ACTUALLY what makes Genesect broken. You may be able to beat your checks and counters with another moveset, but can your E-speeder just retreat without fear of overprediction when things get hairy? I don't think so. I've hated Genesect since I found out he was not in Ubers in Gen 5... And I still don't like him today, despite having used him. Entei, Kyruem, and Zygarde is enough offensive pressure on this meta.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Than you for not watching them, then.
#1 did have PDon, as well as skarm (checks physical sets/ates and gengar (revenges pixigene)
#2 had entei, a steel type, and a fire/poison that 4x resists gene
#3 had heatran and a mawile as well
#4 had an electric and three intimidators
#5 had two fire types, two steels, and a poison type

#6, which shows similar preparation to what you ask, (3 steels, entei, and a ditto, as well as nothing gene could switch in on) loses to common metagame threats
My bad for rforgetting pdon, but you're acting as if steels are supposed to be genesect checks/counters. THEY AREN'T. and if I'm being honest, the heatran user did a terrible job of trying to save it for genesect. Entei only checks pixi, ditto is lol, and steels are seriously irrelevant when it comes to checking it. Run an electric type. Red/Blue orb raikou is REALLY GOOD, the former beating basically every genesect set alive.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
After observing the viability thread, noticed a Pokemon all the way down in D with two Mega stones that, while good, are probably not the best for its viability. Instead, I've tested this set quite a bit lately and came away very much impressed:

Reuniclus @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magic Guard / Sheer Force
Old Stats: 110 HP / 65 Atk / 75 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 30 Spe
New Stats: 110 HP / 85 Atk / 105 Def / 165 SpA / 115 SpD / 10 Spe
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nature: Quiet
Moveset:
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Reuniclus was practically born to use Cameruptite in M&M thanks to its good Special Attack stat, its already low Speed value, and its naturally large Base 110 HP stat. Reuniclus gains great bulk after evolving, 110 / 105 / 115 is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. A massive 165 SpA stat is already excellent, but thanks to Sheer Force, Reuniclus becomes even more powerful thanks to a 20% damage boost on all moves with stat dropping secondary effects. What could be better? Well, it just so happens that Reuniclus' most popular move trio all have percentage chances to lower stats, including Focus Blast! The trade-off here is obviously its absurdly low 10 Speed, but thanks to Trick Room, Reuniclus can reverse its slow speed in one turn and out-speed anything that isn't using priority, often OHKO'ing them after SR in the process. This struggles a bit with post-evolved Blissey with Sablenite and can be revenged by -ate ESpeed users if low enough, but its bulk more often than not guarantees TR being set up and Sheer Force Psychic firing off of a 471 SpA stat is nothing to scoff at.

After observing the viability thread, noticed a Pokemon all the way down in D with two Mega stones that, while good, are probably not the best for its viability. Instead, I've tested this set quite a bit lately and came away very much impressed:

Reuniclus @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magic Guard / Sheer Force
Old Stats: 110 HP / 65 Atk / 75 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 30 Spe
New Stats: 110 HP / 85 Atk / 105 Def / 165 SpA / 115 SpD / 10 Spe
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nature: Quiet
Moveset:
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Reuniclus was practically born to use Cameruptite in M&M thanks to its good Special Attack stat, its already low Speed value, and its naturally large Base 110 HP stat. Reuniclus gains great bulk after evolving, 110 / 105 / 115 is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. A massive 165 SpA stat is already excellent, but thanks to Sheer Force, Reuniclus becomes even more powerful thanks to a 20% damage boost on all moves with stat dropping secondary effects. What could be better? Well, it just so happens that Reuniclus' most popular move trio all have percentage chances to lower stats, including Focus Blast! The trade-off here is obviously its absurdly low 10 Speed, but thanks to Trick Room, Reuniclus can reverse its slow speed in one turn and out-speed anything that isn't using priority, often OHKO'ing them after SR in the process. This struggles a bit with post-evolved Blissey with Sablenite and can be revenged by -ate ESpeed users if low enough, but its bulk more often than not guarantees TR being set up and Sheer Force Psychic firing off of a 471 SpA stat is nothing to scoff at.
Reuniclus is pretty cool, but the set you post is entirely outclassed by cameruptite Hoopa-U. Hoops doesn't have quite as much bulk, but it has obscene power and better stab combo. Reun is better suited for a CM setup role since it also gets recover. Not saying that this set sucks or anything, it's just that Hoopa is far and away the best cameruptite Trick room user.

Alright, stopping.

Additionally, Mix and Mega is glitching around gene: Specifically, red orb is acting before download. For proof, http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430403340
Reuniclus is pretty cool, but the set you post is entirely outclassed by cameruptite Hoopa-U. Hoops doesn't have quite as much bulk, but it has obscene power and better stab combo. Reun is better suited for a CM setup role since it also gets recover. Not saying that this set sucks or anything, it's just that Hoopa is far and away the best cameruptite Trick room user.
It's more outclassed by Hoopa-C: Hoopa-u is weak to Pixispeed, and is faster.

dragonite drake

i go by zanglooser on ps
Mix and Mega comes down to who can use an ATE ability the best, garbage.
no it isnt, pls play the meta efore even trying to bash it, its an icredebly balanced meta where non ate teams are easily good. altho the ladder likes it a lot (most people have one on there team) they can be aesily dealt with with appropiate walls.

also on ajas request i m nomming coballion to A+ rank.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-430470664
i m currently neutral on thit, leaving it here for aja to elaborate more.

I'm posting, as I feel as though the lower viability ranking should undergo a revamp.

Why is Chandelure C rank, and more importantly, why is Diancite of all stones listed first? (Red Orb is probably a better choice) ...Why is Gorebyss's most recommended stone Banettite?? (Audinite and Cameruptite are much better choices) And what business does Flygon have being above Landorus-I anyways? (EDIT: Completely forgot about Boomburst... though Lando-I does have the superior stats. It can go either way..)

Anyways, I have a few nominations of my own... Empoleon (Sceptilite, Latiasite, Blue Orb) for B/B- rank, as it has a very good typing that can grant itself resistances to some common threats depending on the mega stone, while still having a very effective offense of its own. It also functions as a non-flying Defogger, which is always very welcome.

Also, put Zoroark (Absolite) somewhere on there (whatever Grains of Salt or whoever's in charge feels like). It has a very distinctive offensive presence merely by existing pre-mega thanks to Illusion, and is fast and powerful (on both offenses, actually) post Mega. It dies to pretty much any Extreme Speed, which is its major flaw... Having a powerful Night Daze really helps to deter Mew, however.

Last edited:
no it isnt, pls play the meta efore even trying to bash it, its an icredebly balanced meta where non ate teams are easily good. altho the ladder likes it a lot (most people have one on there team) they can be aesily dealt with with appropiate walls.
I mean, I've played the meta quite a bit, in its first incarnation and now, and it's readily apparent to me that not having Atespeed on a team makes it SIGNIFICANTLY weaker. Of the four OU Pokemon banned, one of them had broken stats with a Mega Stone, and the other three had a broken move. Two of them had Extreme Speed. I'll still play the metagame for the time being, but don't pretend that the best Pokemon in the metagame by a huge margin aren't the ones that have Extreme Speed (Pokemon with unusable attack like Togekiss not withstanding).

Last edited:
I mean, I've played the meta quite a bit, in its first incarnation and now, and it's readily apparent to me that not having Atespeed on a team makes it SIGNIFICANTLY weaker. Of the four OU Pokemon banned, one of them had broken stats with a Mega Stone, and the other three had a broken move. Two of them had Extreme Speed. I'll still play the metagame for the time being, but don't pretend that the best Pokemon in the metagame by a huge margin aren't the ones that have Extreme Speed (Pokemon with unusable attack like Togekiss not withstanding).
First off, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from. There are 7 OU-legal Pokemon banned, and only two of them were banned for -atespeed. Secondly, we do "pretend" that, although it certainly isn't made up. While there are 3 S-Ranks, only one is an -atespeeder, and its not for a lack of candidates.
Secondly, I'm of the opinion that the importance of -ate is more similar to a defogger in standard: No one is arguing that defog is broken, and you can build without it, but running it gives you so many more options and more security. Its the same with -ate: The individual abusers (bar genesect, and its not broken because of atespeed) aren't broken or required, but they keep a lot of threats like keldeo in check.

On another note, ChrystalFalchion can you add genesect to A+? It's here for at least three more days, and Deo-S is already ranked. TBH I'd argue for S, but there shouldn't be any disputing A+

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Where are your reqs?

Yes, this is a good idea. Anybody have a couple replays? that'd be nice for a suspect folder.
Reqs:
http://prntscr.com/cd4ho3
I put this a few pages ago but decided to post instead of editing so people could see my reasoning.
But just so this post isn't useless, I'd like to ask you pro ban genesect people something - what makes genesect better than other atespeeders? And if you are running pinsirite, what's your set? shift gear, epseed, blaze kick, u-turn? because you bring up u-turn as a reason genesect is good, but then you can't keep the boost. and if you are pinsirite u-turn, doesn't taking 50% from rocks hurt? Genesect is good and everything, but so is entei. Boosting to +1 is pretty meh. I think pinsirite cobalion seems a lot better. Sure, you lose espeed, but you can get to +2, have access to taunt, don't have to run hasty, have way more physical bulk, have wayyyy better typing (resistant to most ates and can tank a glalite weavile hit anyway (252 Atk Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 196-232 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery as a 142 power move for fake out + return)), have a higher power coverage move, return is stronger than espeed, and are faster when you need to use your coverage move (sure no espeed but 128 speed is pretty fast).
bug flying is ass. honestly, i think mixed genesect with techno blast is the best set, and not quite op enough to be banned in a meta where you can use ate boomburst noivern and other insane shit

None of the unbans should be ranked, we haven't played enough to really determined where they should stand. And that's sorta hypocritical of me since I suggested ranks for them earlier, but oh well. I didn't expect Greninja to run Heracronite so I can be wrong about a lot of stuff. None of them are ranked until a week or two goes by. Also Mew shouldn't be S, it seriously struggles with a 4mms, and generally being really weak and unable to break blissey effectively. Stiff competition regardless of what stones it runs is a problem as well. Jack off all trades, master of none.

Reqs:
I put this a few pages ago but decided to post instead of editing so people could see my reasoning.
But just so this post isn't useless, I'd like to ask you pro ban genesect people something - what makes genesect better than other atespeeders? And if you are running pinsirite, what's your set? shift gear, epseed, blaze kick, u-turn? because you bring up u-turn as a reason genesect is good, but then you can't keep the boost. and if you are pinsirite u-turn, doesn't taking 50% from rocks hurt? Genesect is good and everything, but so is entei. Boosting to +1 is pretty meh. I think pinsirite cobalion seems a lot better. Sure, you lose espeed, but you can get to +2, have access to taunt, don't have to run hasty, have way more physical bulk, have wayyyy better typing (resistant to most ates and can tank a glalite weavile hit anyway (252 Atk Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 196-232 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery as a 142 power move for fake out + return)), have a higher power coverage move, return is stronger than espeed, and are faster when you need to use your coverage move (sure no espeed but 128 speed is pretty fast).
bug flying is ass. honestly, i think mixed genesect with techno blast is the best set, and not quite op enough to be banned in a meta where you can use ate boomburst noivern and other insane shit
We've talked a lot about this, especially in the last few pages, but what makes genesect better than the other -ates (Not necessarily broken, because that's been argued to death and while I have strong opinions it is debatable):
  1. Power. even without download, gene is the second strongest -atespeeder, and thats only because entei runs adamant. With download, it's so much stronger it hardly compares
  2. Speed. Gene is faster than all the other -atespeeders, unless you decide on garbage like Linoone/raikou, or deo-s which plays differently
  3. Setup. Shift gear is debatable worse than SD, but its better than howl or dragon dance
  4. Coverage. Genesect can nuke would-be counters with moves like flamethrower/blaze kick, thunderbolt, ice beam, iron head/flash cannon, bug buzz/x-scizor, dark pulse, zen headbutt, psychic, energy ball, and gunk shot. The next best coverage is Zygarde, and it has a measly 6
  5. Pivoting. Genesect can easily pivot out with U-turn, allowing you to steal momentum when -ate weak mons switch out. Admittedly most useful premega, but has its uses even otherwise.
  6. Power. Even aside from underused moves like explosion, genesect hits like a truck with technoblast, to the point where it has only one GSI (I'm not going to call it a counter, because while Heatran is very solid it lacks recovery). Its stronger than Noivern, one of the premier damage dealers in the metagame; heck, its barely weaker than red orb Heatran's eruption.
  7. Role Compression. Genesect isn't just an -atespeeder, its also a nuke, a setup sweeper, and a momentum gainer in one package. It has a lot more potential roles, and it can fit most of them onto one set.
None of the unbans should be ranked, we haven't played enough to really determined where they should stand. And that's sorta hypocritical of me since I suggested ranks for them earlier, but oh well. I didn't expect Greninja to run Heracronite so I can be wrong about a lot of stuff. None of them are ranked until a week or two goes by. Also Mew shouldn't be S, it seriously struggles with a 4mms, and generally being really weak and unable to break blissey effectively. Stiff competition regardless of what stones it runs is a problem as well. Jack off all trades, master of none.
Don't metagames usually give preliminary ranks to new additions? OU certainly did so with Volcanion extremely quickly. Its not like there aren't fairly major advantages to this way, though, so this isn't a complaint.

I was under the impression that mew was ranked for its absolutely lethal sablenite baton pass set, which gives your -ate/sweeper of choice +2 to +6 attack, and at least one type of defense boost. Is this no longer the case?
Made some improvements to the code. Any Primal bugs should be fixed. Also, Illusion works correctly with Primal Reversion now.

Lemme know if anything is broken.
That's good to see, thanks.

Finally, something I forgot earlier: Cresselia really needs to be moved to unranked already. Is there any real reason to use it?

Last edited:
Reqs:
But just so this post isn't useless, I'd like to ask you pro ban genesect people something - what makes genesect better than other atespeeders? And if you are running pinsirite, what's your set? shift gear, epseed, blaze kick, u-turn? because you bring up u-turn as a reason genesect is good, but then you can't keep the boost. and if you are pinsirite u-turn, doesn't taking 50% from rocks hurt?
A couple of things i have noticed in the changes in this metagame, people(like myself) are starting to catching onto the physical genesect. With that being said its special set is deadlier than its physical. Stab+ate techno blast hits ohkos nearly everything not named blissey. Also amazing coverage moves. With that being said it differentiates itself from other ate users being able to be an amazing mixed unpredictable sweeper.
Its pretty frail+defog makes stealth rock pretty irrelevant. Ive noticed stealth rock was hardly a factor when playing with and against it.

Genesect is good and everything, but so is entei. Boosting to +1 is pretty meh.
Being able to get passed blue orb skarmory, groudon, powerful special move, u-turn, download boost in one turn, and still be very threatening with Espeed

I think pinsirite cobalion seems a lot better. Sure, you lose espeed, but you can get to +2, have access to taunt, don't have to run hasty, have way more physical bulk, have wayyyy better typing (resistant to most ates and can tank a glalite weavile hit anyway (252 Atk Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 196-232 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery as a 142 power move for fake out + return)), have a higher power coverage move, return is stronger than espeed, and are faster when you need to use your coverage move (sure no espeed but 128 speed is pretty fast).
Cobalion is definitely a different type of sweeper than genesect but i find the lack of espeed hurts alot. Espeed allows you to gain alot of momentum, makes alot of pokemon switch out, and of course the obvious immediate powerful damage. It does get quick attack which isnt that far off especially with sword dance.

1. Power. even without download, gene is the second strongest -atespeeder, and thats only because entei runs adamant. With download, it's so much stronger it hardly compares
2. Speed. Gene is faster than all the other -atespeeders, unless you decide on garbage like Linoone/raikou, or deo-s which plays differently
I believe Arceus-Normal should be included in this comparison. It isn't technically -ate, but it gets stab and can carry an item. For example, life orb Extremespeed gives it a 1.5x 1.3x = 1.95x multiplier that's the same as atespeed. It also gets 120 base speed, which is 1 more than pinsirite Genesect. It gets SD and good coverage, as well as self-support moves like Refresh and Recover.

What makes Genesect more powerful, however, is that in addition to the 1.5x 1.3x = 1.95x modifier it gets a 1.5x modifier from download (1.5x 1.3x 1.5x = 2.925x), as well as 150 base attack from pinsirite. This means that with zero setup turns it is more powerful by a factor of 1.5 * (150 + 49.5) / (120 + 49.5) = 1.77x. (The 49.5 bonus is from adding full ivs and evs.)
If both get a setup turn, Genesect is still more powerful by a factor of (150 + 49.5) / (120 + 49.5) = 1.17x. (Assuming both are at +2.) However, Arceus has an easier time setting up due to its kit and inherent bulk.

Edit: To put Genesect's unboosted advantage into perspective, let's also compare it to banded arceus-normal (a set I probably wouldn't run).
Gensect with STAB, Ate Boost, Download, and advantage from its base atk:
1.5 * 1.3 * 1.5 * (150 + 49.5) / (120 + 49.5) = 3.44x
Gensect with STAB, Ate Boost, and advantage from its base atk (but missing a download boost, i.e. revenge killing something with higher def than spdef):
1.5 * 1.3 * (150 + 49.5) / (120 + 49.5) = 2.30x
Arceus-Normal with STAB and a choice band:
1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25x

tl;dr: Genesect can be extremely good at revenge killing or unboosted cleanups. (But it only gets the download boost the first time it tries, so may be harder to use.)

Edit2: You might want to Gene-proof your fast sweepers by making their def higher than their spdef, and adjust some other mons as well, so that they are not as easily checked by Genesect / provide it with a download boost that's hard for your team to deal with.
For example, Heatrans def and spdef are equal. Meaning that you should invest 4ev into one of these to pick which stat is boosted on Genesect (in case your Heatran is low and does not force it out anyway)

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Reqs:
"Sure you lose espeed" is legit the reason gene is used over coba lmao. I could say everything you just said (coba boosts faster, hits harder, has taunt, etc.) for a dozen other mons but access to espeed is what sets gene and the other atespeeders apart, which makes this comparison seem odd and irrelevant. Gene is the strongest and fastest atespeeder (technically entei is stronger but gene has a higher base atk), has the best set up move (shift gear>dragon dance>howl), can actually use its special attack stat (unlike the other atespeeders), and has download pre-mega, which is basically the ultimate pre-mega ability (hence why it is used on pdon in bh and most megas in aaa--don't bring up illusion plz i cba to get into that). Sure bug flying is a shit typing defensively but ur bring it in and taking a chunk out of the opposing team. I use it alongside entei and generally have gene nab the atk boost, spam espeed (or techno if they go into like pdon and u predict that) and then explode when ur done as gene has a decent 119 speed tier (i know its not the best but u click espeed v offense and its more than enough to outspeed bulky mons). You also forget that its bug/steel pre mega so it only takes 12.5% from rocks then. Personally I feel uturn is meh unless ur running like, metagrossite (which is also very viable). Also unlike the other atespeeders, genesect has other viable sets, such as metagrossite, diancite, lucarionite, and blue orb, and you don't know which one its running (ig apart from blue orb) until it mega evos, which sets it apart from other atespeeders (for those paying attention this was part of the reason dnite and luc were banned--sets other than ate that let them bop counters, whereas zyg/entei/arc are fairly one dimensional). And another thing it does well is blow holes in teams. It can just click Explosion and you can watch your "ate counter" die or get crippled to the point of no return, and then zyg or entei just sweeps.

Ok here goes nothing...
Genesect: no ban
Yes, it is strong as hell. Yes, techno blast hits like a truck. But there are quite a few flaws preventing genesect from being op.
1) it takes your ate stone
genesect is not nearly as good without ate, because then it's two best moves (espeed and techno blast) dont hit very hard. And im pretty sure every team i have faced has had an altarianite mon besides full out stall, and you aren't using this on stall. So don't evaluate gene in a vacuum, compare it to all the other altarianite mons and see if it really is that good in comparison.
2) it's best the first time
Especially when one of your moves is u-turn, it kinda sucks that you can only get the download boost the first time around.
3) it's weak to other espeeders
This is what did it for me. It dies to any pinsirite espeed, and what's running altarianite? entei, which resists both genesects stabs regardless.
4) it's speed tier sucks
in ou this was borked because scarfed u-turn just stole the momentum and because it was so fast. But in this meta, 99 speed is nothing at all. If it wants to kill faster stuff with espeed, then yes it is strong, but then it will be just another espeeder. You rarely have the time to fire off a techno blast against offensive teams. And like i mentioned earlier, its bug typing is really shitty, so every other espeeder beats it. So what are you killing with it? This and point 1 are the two main reasons, the others are just icing on the cake.
So yes, genesecet is strong, but the speed tier comes up short and other altarianite mons are also very strong.
Deoxys speed: no ban
I literally have not seen this at all on the ladder. And i don't think the ability to set up hazards is broken, especially when stall runs defog anyway. No ban unless it starts running amok on the ladder. In a meta dominated by espeeders, it's not good enough.
1. who cares its better than the other atespeeders lol? and if u mean other ates well you could still run like altarianite gene, pinsirite coba, and salamencite gyarados/landot. If that isnt enough for you then ive got nothing to say. and its still good without ate for the pivoting, the surprise factor, and the greater power on moves other than espeed. you also generally shouldnt be using techno on non ate sets so how is it being weaker a con, again? espeed may be weaker and non stab, sure, but at that point ur not using it as your main attacking move, just to pick stuff off, like in standard.
2. sure but its still got pretty good attack the second time, and uturn isnt even on all sets. you also can pick ur moment to mega evo (sometimes a +1 espeed kills w/o megaing or u would rather uturn or w/e)
3. and altarianite entei rks altarianite zyg, as well as altarianite dnite, so we should obviously unban that (i swear to god if one of you takes the dnite bit seriously i will consider your argument uninformed and thus void). but srsly how is this an argument? every team needs an ate counter... so just switch to that lmao. does atespeed make shit like keldeo and hoopau bad? the answer is no. and if the ate mon is weakened, well, it dies bcz gene is faster lol. i really dont get this argument at all.
4. its speed tier is decent enough as u click espeed v offense most of the time anyway and its checks are generally slower (rkers w/ prio u just switch out of, its not gene v the world, again go to ur ate check). and then u run into metagrossite which outpaces stuff like lucarionite terrakion and pidgeotite gengar. speed tier doesnt rly matter for wallbreakers and mons with priority, and if it does its only to outspeed other mons with priority, which gene does.

View attachment 68665

: Unban

Genesect is undoubtedly is a top 5 mon in the meta atm, with Mixed Pinsirite Shift Gear probably being its best set that allows it to sweep pretty easily tbh. I will agree that it could be difficult to deal with to deal with after a even one Shift Gear boost. The main gripe I have with Genesect though that prevents it from being broken and too OP imo is that nasty x4 weakness that SR after the mega evolution that extremely limtits the amount of times it can swithcin and actually be able to pull off a boost and consecutively sweep. Hazards are more omnipresent than ever with Deoxys-S running around (which I will get to later...) and with my playtest playing and utilizing Genesect, this weakness coupled with the numerous other weaknesses it gains with that awful Bug/Flying weakness does not make it broken in my eyes. Incredibly strong, but not OP.

: Ban

Im actually surprise people are not having a more negative feedback on this monster lol. I have been hearing countless mentions of its atespeed sets and offensive sets in general, and although those sets are pretty good, the real problem comes with its Ampharosite lead set. With Taunt, Deo-S can get at least a guaranteed 2 layers of hazards thanks to it gaining the incredible Dragon-typing giving it a ton of resistances and Mold Breaker just nullifying Magic Bounce entirely. This is so important as these hazards often benefit heavy hitters like Keldeo and Noivern, netting them crucial 2HKO's and sometimes OHKO's on switchins thanks to the incredible hazard support from Deo-S. To me there is very few counterplay from not letting Deo-S to not set up hazards besides atespeed, and this gives offense too much support in my eyes, leaving me to support banning Deoxys-S.

I also agree with Skarmory and Keldeo to A+ as they both influence the meta heavily.
its weak to sr, and this prevents it from being good how, exactly? if ur sweeping, u arent switching out and again u have that steel pre mega typing so u only take 1/8th from rocks. also hazards are p ez to remove, ive been using it rather successfully on a team with hitmonlee as the sole hazard remover ffs. and anyway it doesnt rly need to take hits at all, unless u run shift gear, which u should only need to set up once if u have eliminated its checks correctly, similar to mons like hoopau, except hoopau doesnt have a stab, 100+ bp move with +2 priority. weaknesses dont matter when u outspeed and ko the mons that could ko you :/

I think that's most of the pro-unban opinions? Basically what I've seen is its an ate so just use ate counters (which both isnt always true and it destroys some of the classic ate counters), its sr weak (which doesnt matter on sweeper sets and the good pivot sets keep typing w/ luc or meta stones and anyway hazard removal is ez), and i dont think its broken, which unfortunately i cant do anything about other than try to show you the faults in these arguments. Also most people tend to think genesect wont switch out of stuff it cant beat lmao and the checks given (that it 2hkos most of) either die to explosion or are mons u should prepare for anyway. Genesect does have five teammates so its p easy to add another ate, a hazard remover, hell even a trapper (mgar is legal atm even tho i thought it wasnt supposed to be and duggy, while a meme, can handle raikou and weaken other grounded checks, like pdon). Most of its checks lack recovery so its relatively easy to wear them down.

Also speaking of mgar doesnt stag clause mean stag is banned e.g. gengar @ gengarite should be illegal? i wasnt aware that it was changed so someone tell me if its a bug or smth that was supposed to happen.

Sorry for shit formatting, on ipad and typed this in a rush, hopefully i made everything clear.

Some VR nominations for you guys to discuss. They will be implemented on Friday 9th September

Entei to S Rank

Zygarde to A+ / A Rank

Arcanine to A+ Rank

Mew to A+ Rank

Zoroark to B- / C Rank

Cobalion to A+ Rank

Reuniclus to C / B- Rank (Aggronite / Sablenite Calm Mind)

Giratina to Unranked / D Rank

Arceus-Water to B+/A- rank

Dialga to Unlisted / D Rank

Last edited:
All three of Entei, Zygarde, and Genesect (assuming Genesect stays) belong in S-tier. Mix and Mega exists around Atespeed and they warp the metagame around themselves. Genesect has unpredictability (mixed capability and the only one that can regularly beat Blue Orb Skarmory AKA only Skarmory, on top of ), Entei has the raw turn-one power (discounting Download, as barring turn-one sweeps, most Genesects will eventually switch out and lose their Download boost) and is the only Atespeeder capable of consistently beating Levitran ([252+ Atk Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 178-211 (46.1 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO Entei with 145 Attack and Heatran with 136 Defense]), while Zygarde has the best bulk out of all of them to come in multiple times to set up Dragon Dance and has Earthquake to break bulky Steel, Poison, and Fire-types that otherwise wall Pixi Speed.

Mew should remain in S. It has the movepool and natural bulk to run extremely powerful sweeper sets that are being currently overlooked in favor of defensive sets. I encourage all of you to at least try Lopunnite Mew, the only reliable answers it has are Pinsirite and Altarianite Atespeeders. The next most powerful priority against it (Altarianite Archeops with Quick Attack) fails to OHKO while you get 160/130 offensive stats with Drain Punch and Sucker Punch on top of 100/110/100 bulk. Ever since it lost Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch people ran straight to Sablenite without considering exactly what its movepool could do. I once ran into a Gyaradosite Mew that did some serious damage with STAB Sucker Punch and Mold Breaker Stealth Rock. ChrystalFalchion, In your beginner's guide to MnM I see you have Lopunnite listed, but I haven't encountered one on the ladder yet.

No other arguments with respect to tiering, though I don't remember if Deoxys-D is allowed to hold a Mega Stone. If it is, it should probably be higher than A-. Base 90 Speed isn't terrible, and there's at least two Mega Stones it can use to litter the field with hazards. It's certainly worth considering over Deoxys-Speed if it can hold Ampharosite or Gyaradosite, if only for its vastly superior bulk.

Entei to S Rank

Zygarde to A+ / A Rank

Arcanine to A+ Rank

Entei is due to rise and replace Zygarde because handles the recent metagame trends far better than the aforementioned Zygarde. Blue orb steel types are easily crippled by Will o Wisp or broken by Howl. Arcanine falls under the same category, but Arcanine is weaker than Entei. Neither Entei or Arcanine are particularly easy to blanket check like Zygarde is, and although Zygarde sets it has multiple pretty solid counters/checks in Ho-oh, Ferrothorn or Skarmory. Entei's counters are far shakier and it's difficult to find keep healthy. Pdon doesn't have recovery and neither does Ferrothorn. The former can be widdled and the latter burned with Will o Wisp. The rise in Cobalion/Klingklang/Metagross hurts Zygarde but is healthier for Entei because it can preform its revenge killer role without offence having a solid switch in.

Mew to A+ Rank

Also Mew shouldn't be S, it seriously struggles with a 4mms, and generally being really weak and unable to break blissey effectively. Stiff competition regardless of what stones it runs is a problem as well. Jack off all trades, master of none.

Cobalion to A+ Rank

I nominated this for A+ back in February. Generally the replay posted by Dragonite Drake is enough. Cobalion literally 6-0s in a tour final and sets up Hippowdown. Cobalion should always be one rank, not sub-rank. Cobalion should probably move to S if the trends keep favouring it, the rise in specially defensive based cores relying on status is great for Cobalion. It also sets up ALL over Entei/Pdon check so they form a formidable core together. What makes Cobalion better than Klinklang is unpredictability, it doesn't have a lot of solid counters seeing as it can easily switch it up to Altarianite or run Stone Edge. Taunt is a must though, makes breaking balance a piece of cake.

Giratina to Unranked / D Rank

Has zero use in the metagame. No recovery, super passive and 4mms. In Ubers every OU banned pokemon is a must to be ranked, this isn't the case in MnM.

Arceus-Water to C / B- rank

Tbh this thing should probably be A- rank. It's a very solid water type capable of beating Pdon with toxic. It also has access to defog and a wide array of both coverage and support moves. But the best thing is having recover and not losing to Pdon, Entei, Skarmory ect. Ferrothorn is a bitch, but oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)