Ladder Monotype [Read post #393 for Tiering Updates]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I Think the Monotype Tier Should Have a Ban List

Although being a Sub-Meta of the OU Tier, OU Monotype is different and should thus have it's own Banlist. As each Team is restricted to Pokemon that share one Type in the Monotype Tier, the Checks and/or Counters that a Team has in response to a Threat are limited to a specified list. As such, the Threatlist from its mother Tier can't necessarily be applicable or compared to it. For example, Kingdra, who has an infamous reputation as a powerful Swift Swim abuser, would naturally force any variant of Salamence (without prior Boost) to Switch Out. However, in OU, you have the luxury of supporting your Salamence with a Check or Counter that does not share it's Type, such as Ferrothorn.

But this is the heart and soul of Monotype; the trademark of the Tier: to prove that although you are at a disadvantage, that you are creative, skilled, and smart enough to overcome it. This is the Tier where an otherwise unused (or in this case a Never or Rarely or Under Used) Pokemon finds a niche and finds a home. One such Pokemon is Articuno, who, despite sharing an enhanced SR Weakness with its Teammates, has found a niche as a Check to Swift Swim Teams with powerful Special Attackers and Rain Abusers on my Flying Team with Salamence.

But if each Team is inevitably vulnerable to a certain Pokemon and will have a hard time no matter what, why should there be a need for a Banlist?

Because the object of the Metagame is to achieve a state of balance, in which players have the options to and not to use certain playstyles, Pokemon, or Monotype Teams. This does not necessarily mean making a specified Monotype or play style better, but rather Viable, or usable.

And certain Pokemon in this Tier have an unacceptable dominance over the Metagame that it greatly discourages the use of certain Monotypes to the point where they turn a Type Disadvantage from a challenge, to a near impossible, luck-based, and/or frustrating experience.

One such Pokemon that, in my opinion, makes the Metagame unhealthy by discouraging players from using certain Types is Talonflame.

Why I Think Talonflame Should be Banned:

While held back by a rather mediocre Attack Stat, relative fragility with its 78/71/69 Defenses, Coverage issues with a limited Movepool, and of course it's unattractive Stealth Rock Weakness, it has everything it needs to be a Top Tier threat in OU. Most notably, it's Hidden Ability in Gale Wings transforms a weak Brave Bird into the fastest and strongest (in terms of Power) Priority Move in the game, outside of Extreme Speed. And although having a sparse Movepool, Talonflame could theoretically overcome the above mentioned drawbacks with what it does get. The Scorching Pokemon has access to the previously mentioned Brave Bird, while Acrobatics (in conjunction with a disposable Item) functions as a weaker, but no less threatening, one. It can augment its lackluster Attack Stat with Swords Dance to transform 2HKO'es to 1HKO'es. Bulk Up can do the same thing to a lesser extent, while exchanging more power for the extra Bulk it needs to survive an Extreme Speed or two, and can shrug off the damage it gets doing so with a Priority Roost. It can also run (lol) Natural Gift to temporarily solve it's Coverage issues, as it can run Shucca, Chople, or Passho Berries along with others to Lure in and Damage/KO common Switch Ins such as Heatran, Tyranitar, etc, although this works only once and requires prediction. Even Stealth Rocks, often regarded as the bane of Talonflames existence, can be stopped with a surprise Taunt. In addition to this, it can use it's Item slot too, as it can run the Choice Band for insant power, a Sky Plate/Sharp Beak to make that Brave Bird hurt more, the Sitrus Berry/Leftovers to mitigate its Recoil, or a Liechi Berry among the others that were mentioned. These factors in combination with it's blistering Base 126 Speed make it such a threat.

And as mentioned above, the object of Banlist is to balance the Metagame, or make it a flexible experience in which different types of players, play styles, and in this case, Monotype Teams. With its powerful Priority Attack in Brave Bird in combination with the Moves and Items that help it overcome it's shortcoming, Talonflame can be considered unhealthy for the Metagame as Monotypes such as Bug, Fighting, and Grass have limited Checks/Counters, if any at all. The fact that it in two of the mentioned cases cannot be Revenge Killed directly by any means of outspeeding (bar Boosting Moves) or Priority, could result in the playerbase from being discouraged from using them. Here is how much of an impact this one Pokemon has on Bug, Fighting, and Grass.

Talonflame V.S. Monotype Bug:

First off, let it be mentioned that Bug has proven itself consistently in Gen. V to be a solid Type, even against Flying and Fire. So why in the transition between Generation V and VI, in which it received 3 Mega Evolutions and Defog, is the Usage for Bug Pokemon and thus Mono Bug Teams low? I believe that a major contributor in the declining Usage of Mono Bug can be blamed on Talonflame, as it has only one, uncommon Counter in Scarf Armaldo, and 3 Checks in Armaldo, Crustle, and Shuckle.

Scarf Armaldo is only 2HKO'ed by Talonflame's even while Banded or at +2, while Scarf Armaldo can KO it back in return with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. However, it's not really relevant, as it receives little to no usage.

As for it's Checks, both Armaldo and Shuckle can avoid a 2HKO from Choice Banded Talonflame even after Stealth Rocks, Crustle being the only one that cannot Switch into it. And while the three Bug/Rock Pokemon sounds like a solid stop to the reign of terror that is Talonflame, you must also consider the fact that it gets U-turn to predict or escape these situations, which could result in being worn down by Hazards or it's Teammates so it can burst through you later in the game. In addition to this, Talonflame can also shut down every Rapid Spinner/Defogger and Stealth Rock user Mono Bug has with the combination of Taunt and Flare Blitz, besides Armaldo.

However, the fact that you are practically forced to run these three Pokemon in Bug in order to stop one Pokemon is, in my opinion, unhealthy to the Metagame since an ideal Bug Team with one of the 3 Pokemon is restricted to use Balance or Defensive Play Styles.

Talonflame V.S. Monotype Fighting:

Fighting Monos share the same situation as Bug, facing near extinction on the Ladder after being hailed as one of the best Types back in Gen. V, and the source of the problem is no different. What Fighting Monos you do see now run Physically Defensive Coballion, as it has the Bulk to stomach a Jolly Natured Brave Bird followed by a Flare Blitz, if barely. This is the only Pokemon bar the ideal Physically Defensive Terrakion that can force every variant of Talonflame out upon the Switch In, and scare it off with Stealth Rocks. Another option that the Standard Fighting Team uses in addition to Physically Defensive Cobalion is the classic Choice Scarf Terrakion Set as a means of outspeeding and KO'ing it with one of its powerful Rock Moves, however you are limited to doing this only once, as every variant knocks off about half of your health. The fact that these Pokemon must be used if you want to preserve the rest of your Team from the wrath that is the Scorching Pokemon stands as another example of how it discourages the use of the Type, if not forcing the user to use one of the above Pokemon specifically for this one, weak bird.

Talonflame V.S. Monotype Grass

Let us consider the fact that Monotype Grass has never consistently proved to be a Top Tier Monotype, and isn't popular because of it. Perhaps only a small portion of the Ladder consist of Grass Teams. It has been this way since the debut of the Monotype Tier back in Gen. V. But just because it isn't good, doesn't mean that it should get ignored either, as some people do run Mono Grass, if not just for fun; they need to be respected too. As such, Grass literally has no Counters to Talonflame outside of Scarf Celebi and Shaymin, both of which are not only uncommon but only capable of Revenging the Standard Talonflame. As far as Counters go, the Choice Band Set can be taken advantage of with Pokemon that are neutral to Brave Bird such as Ferrothorn, but have to watch out for Flare Blitz. Outside of that Variant, Grass Teams only have 2 Counters to Standard Talonflame: Physically Defensive Cradily and Tangrowth. If the bird is holding a Choice Band or Life Orb, literally nothing can safely Switch In and reply with a KO in time, not even Focus Sash users unless your using Physically Defensvie Cradily. However, as in other scenarios, the Life Orb Set can U-turn out of this situation, and remove Cradily from the game or take it down to a health where Talonflame can KO it. That being said, the fact that nothing can safely Switch Into LO or Band Talonflame after SR's are up or Revenge it afterwords is another reason why it deserves a Ban, despite the fact that it is an unpopular Type. Everyone must be considered when thinking about the Metagame as whole.

What Makes Talonflame Different From Any Other Threat?

So what makes Talonflame different than, say, Choice Banded Staraptor? Few Pokemon on Bug or Grass can Switch into it's Brave Bird, while nothing on Fighting can do it safely. So why not ban that too?

Because unlike Talonflame, I can actually Revenge Staraptor

What I agree with is Banning Talonflame on the basis that said Monotypes cannot Revenge it, or have an answer to it in terms of using Speed or Priority to kill it, and the fact that it can play around the Pokemon that can take its hits. And the fact that the Pokemon that can actually Check or Counter it can simply be played around and removed. The fact that if those 1 or 2 Pokemon go down, you're practically Swept by 1 Pokemon.

In Conclusion

In my opinion, Talonflame deserves to be Banned for the reason I and others have, and will, mention. It's Priority in Brave Bird is the main reason why, as it provides it with a way to soar above Revenge Killing. Even the few Pokemon that Check it can be played around with a well timed U-turn or Swords Dance, as most Talonflame can practically force any Pokemon of the above mentioned Monotypes out. It's Counters are too few, unlike other similar Pokes such as Staraptor who can actually be Revenged by Scarfers, Priority, etc. And perhaps most importantly, it should be Banned because it discourages the use of certain Monotypes to a greater extent of any other Pokemon in the Tier, to the point where it can dominate one Type by itself.

Everyone should have at least a chance to play with their favorite Type, at least play it a certain way. Talonflame simply doesn't allow that.

However

I didn't mention this earlier because Im pretty sure it is out of the realm of possibility, but Talonflame is really only a problem on Mono Flying. Grass, Bug, and Fighting are at disadvantages to Fire any way you slice the cake. So if a complex Ban where Talonflame could only be used on Fire were allowed, Im all for that too.

Just pointing out that Coba Berry can validly be run on a few Pokémon to stop Talonflame, allowing them to take a Brave Bird and KO back. One of my friends used Coba Berry Machamp to decent success.

Just pointing out that Coba Berry can validly be run on a few Pokémon to stop Talonflame, allowing them to take a Brave Bird and KO back. One of my friends used Coba Berry Machamp to decent success.
Yeah Berries are good for stopping it to, the only problem with that is that they are consumable and in most cases aren't used in Singles. But good suggestion.

Enoch said:
Talonflame is really only a problem on Mono Flying. Grass, Bug, and Fighting are at disadvantages to Fire any way you slice the cake. So if a complex Ban where Talonflame could only be used on Fire were allowed, Im all for that too.
I somewhat disagree on this. For one, by your logic, these types would still not see that much play because "Eh, well, Fire destroys us anyway, might as well let them keep Talonflame for extra humiliation." Secondly, those three types of teams have viable Fire type checks and counters if Fire were to also lose Talonflame. Here are a few good problem solvers for fire on each of these types:

-Grass has a nice check to fire teams with Physical Mega Venusaur with EQ, and the occasional EQ Cradily, not to mention Earth Power and HP Rock Shaymin and Celebi.

-Bug can run through fire teams with Scarf Moxie Heracross (or Guts, even, to deal with burn) with Stone Edge, as can Fighting. You also have Close Combat/EQ on there for the likes of Heatran. Bug also gets Volcarona, Pinsir, and Armaldo, all viable checks to certain fire types. Bugs also have fairly easy SR setters in Armaldo, Sturdy Forretress, and Shuckle, meaning they can prevent fire from switching out the wazoo on them.

-Fighting, again, gets Scarf Moxie Heracross (or, again, Guts). You also have multiple other possible Guts users to deal with burns and revenge(Conkeldurr,for instance - who also gets Drain Punch for semi-viable recovery), as well as Scarf Terrakion to also run through most Fire 'mons. Also, like Bug, they carry a number of viable SR users, most notably Infernape.

Now, I'm not saying that these types of teams will always win versus Fire, but they have their checks. Talonflame rips through many of these checks. He outspeeds Pinsir with a Brave Bird versus his Quick Attack, absolutely destroys Heracross, Conk, Venu, Volc, and fairly easily kills common variants of Celebi and Shaymin. I think if something needs to be done, it needs to be done on both Fire and Flying monotype teams, as these types of teams (Bug, Fighting, Grass), still have somewhat of a chance versus Fire and Flying otherwise.

Secondly, as I and Pyritie already mentioned, Talonflame still has a niche if it loses Gale Wings (read near the beginning of page 3 or this thread). Bannng Talon outright, I feel, is not the way to go, which is why I feel as though suspecting Gale Wings or having a complex ban disallowing it on Talonflame is the better route to take.

Reactions: DoW
Fire teams without Talonflame were never really that big an issue for my Bug team. Would always be a sigh of relief when I saw they didn't have it. Flying teams, not so much, as they are much stronger in general.

I somewhat disagree on this. For one, by your logic, these types would still not see that much play because "Eh, well, Fire destroys us anyway, might as well let them keep Talonflame for extra humiliation." Secondly, those three types of teams have viable Fire type checks and counters if Fire were to also lose Talonflame. Here are a few good problem solvers for fire on each of these types:

-Grass has a nice check to fire teams with Physical Mega Venusaur with EQ, and the occasional EQ Cradily, not to mention Earth Power and HP Rock Shaymin and Celebi.

-Bug can run through fire teams with Scarf Moxie Heracross (or Guts, even, to deal with burn) with Stone Edge, as can Fighting. You also have Close Combat/EQ on there for the likes of Heatran. Bug also gets Volcarona, Pinsir, and Armaldo, all viable checks to certain fire types. Bugs also have fairly easy SR setters in Armaldo, Sturdy Forretress, and Shuckle, meaning they can prevent fire from switching out the wazoo on them.

-Fighting, again, gets Scarf Moxie Heracross (or, again, Guts). You also have multiple other possible Guts users to deal with burns and revenge(Conkeldurr,for instance - who also gets Drain Punch for semi-viable recovery), as well as Scarf Terrakion to also run through most Fire 'mons. Also, like Bug, they carry a number of viable SR users, most notably Infernape.

Now, I'm not saying that these types of teams will always win versus Fire, but they have their checks. Talonflame rips through many of these checks. He outspeeds Pinsir with a Brave Bird versus his Quick Attack, absolutely destroys Heracross, Conk, Venu, Volc, and fairly easily kills common variants of Celebi and Shaymin. I think if something needs to be done, it needs to be done on both Fire and Flying monotype teams, as these types of teams (Bug, Fighting, Grass), still have somewhat of a chance versus Fire and Flying otherwise.

Secondly, as I and Pyritie already mentioned, Talonflame still has a niche if it loses Gale Wings (read near the beginning of page 3 or this thread). Bannng Talon outright, I feel, is not the way to go, which is why I feel as though suspecting Gale Wings or having a complex ban disallowing it on Talonflame is the better route to take.
Honestly, only reason I put that in there was so people would stop complaining about complex Bans. I'm pro Ban no matter what, so meh

DoW

formally Death on Wings
What Makes Talonflame Different From Any Other Threat?

So what makes Talonflame different than, say, Choice Banded Staraptor? Few Pokemon on Bug or Grass can Switch into it's Brave Bird, while nothing on Fighting can do it safely. So why not ban that too?

Because unlike Talonflame, I can actually Revenge Staraptor

What I agree with is Banning Talonflame on the basis that said Monotypes cannot Revenge it, or have an answer to it in terms of using Speed or Priority to kill it, and the fact that it can play around the Pokemon that can take its hits. And the fact that the Pokemon that can actually Check or Counter it can simply be played around and removed. The fact that if those 1 or 2 Pokemon go down, you're practically Swept by 1 Pokemon.
This is why I believe a Gale Wings ban is what we need rather than a Talonflame ban. Talonflame certainly still has a niche or two without Gale Wings; it's still a fast attacker with usable power if banded and with access to U-turn, or it can run Taunt, Will-o-wisp and Tailwind, to generally annoy the opponent and support the team. Flying has few counters to Monotype Ice, and without Talonflame it would have fewer. It would be bad if the ban created more problems than it solved, and I see no reason to limit the variety in the tier simply because it makes the list of rules look tidier.

+Death on Wings

Causter

formerly GymLeaderCauster
Talonflame has the ability to turn the tables against an opponent that's not set on countering that one Pokemon. I noticed, in the Monotype Room, that one user was creating a whole team meant for countering the bird. Think about that. One Pokemon is causing a user to create an entire team centered around countering it. Talonflame creates an unhealthy presence in the metagame. As stated above, Talonflame discourages the use of a select amount of teams, most notably being Grass, Bug, and Fighting. As I have mained Fighting, I have come across instances where Talonflame has indeed turned the tables of a battle (Evidence A: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-430319 ). I'm not here to say what needs to be done, but I will inform you that something has to be done. As long as this Talonflame remains in the meta, we're going to be overlooking an unhealthy meta, overrun by types that aren't completely wiped out by Talonflame.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
So, I may be new to this forum but I went through the records looking for guidelines for whether something should be banned or not, and found DougJustDoug's Characteristics of a Desirable Metagame. There is quite a bit of discussion of his characteristics, but I think the ones that are important to a Talonflame or Gale Wings potential ban are these: Competitive, Variety, Balance, Adherence and Efficiency.

The first three to begin with: Monotype is good for Variety because before you even start thinking about whether you're going for a stally or offensive team, you've already chosen one of eighteen types. Talonflame and Gale Wings makes three of these types uncompetitive. Firstly, a reasonable number of players will choose whatever type they like rather than whatever type they think is most competitive, and so the game becomes a little less competitive while Gale Wings Talonflame is around. Secondly, Balance.
Balance
All viable playing options and strategies should be as competitively balanced as possible, in relation to each other.
I think it's reasonably clear that Gale Wings Talonflame makes Grass, Bug and Fighting worse compared to other strategies, this makes the game unbalanced.

However in terms of Variety, I think Talonflame itself shouldn't be banned. It is still a good pokemon to use without Gale Wings as has been discussed before, we should have as much Variety in the metagame as possible and banning Talonflame rather than Gale Wings would destroy some of this variety.

Adherence: I mention this because in the facebook post someone mentioned the idea that we could reduce Gale Wings' power without getting rid of this, changing it maybe to 0.5 priority. This isn't an option as it wouldn't stick to how the game works.

Efficiency is the main argument for a Talonflame ban rather than Gale Wings. However, I think that it wouldn't be particularly more efficient a ban, and the increase in Variety (not to mention that the more we ban, the more we risk changing the metagame so that it requires more bans) outweigh this.

tl;dr: A ban is definitely needed, a Gale Wings ban would be better than a Talonflame ban.

+Death on Wings

My question is - can we get some people who disagree with ban to make comments as to why they feel the way they do? So far we have heard from Enoch, KevinJohnKaisar, ArticunoI (Death On Wings), Gym Leader Causter, and myself, who all support some sort of ban. It'd be nice to hear reasoning from the other side, especially since this thread isn't nearly as active as a usual suspect thread. Right now it just feels like we're buffering each other's arguments up, but to be honest I'd like to see some debate going on about this topic. Definitely there were comments on the facebook post but there have been next to none here.

Causter

formerly GymLeaderCauster
The main problem is that they'll make their case in chat or in the Facebook room, but they won't do it here. I encourage them to state their position on here, but it is what it is, I suppose. The one argument I can make for Talonflame is that it is counterable, although you have to go out of your way to counter it. Also, it's stats are rather underwhelming, but again, we have seen what the bird can do.

While Talon is dominant, it is also frail, predictable and has a horrible weakness to SR. Certain pokes always walk all over some types, such as Aegislash with Psychic, Mega Gyarados with ground, and Keldeo with dark. Part of the charm of monotype is learning to deal with these things, and succeeding in spite of them (Well, hopefully).

On a grass mono, you can do a couple of things. First, the mere presence of ferrothorn on a grass team mean that talon will be taking up to 70% of it's health in recoil damage if it ever wants to kill it. Coupled with stealth rocks, you can put the bird down fairly quickly. Another option is to use tangela, which has the physical bulk of satan hisself and regenerator to keep it healthy. It can either revenge kill Talon, or, provided SR aren't up, switch in and KO after recoil.
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 138-164 (41.3 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Tangela Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 236-280 (79.1 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bug is a little harder, but can still be viable done. Armaldo is only 3HKOed by talon once in a blue moon, so without SR it can switch in and force it out (Or just obliterate the thing with Stone edge or rock blast) not once, but twice. Crustle is even bulkier than Armaldo, and can do the same thing. As bug has multiple spinners and defoggers, this is not as hard as it seems.
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Armaldo: 114-135 (32.2 - 38.1%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Crustle: 97-115 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As for fighting, a combination of sashes, fighting/rock and fighting/steel types seem to be the best options. Scarf Terrakion can revenge kill reliably, and a couple of things can switch in. Physically defensive Cobalion takes brave birds easily, and can force out talon with the threat of stone edge. Lucario can also take a brave bird, and retaliate back with a strong E-speed.
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 188-224 (48.7 - 58%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 211-249 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 147-174 (49.3 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

Talon is very strong. But it is in no way invincible. When using a team weak to it, stealth rocks are imperative, as they are the easiest and generally fastest way of taking it out. Putting in a counter to it while teambuilding is required, but having to pack counters in monotype is not a new thing, and shouldn't be much of a problem. As to the choice set that is quite successful in OU, while it does do significantly more damage, it has no way of restoring health taken from recoil or stealth rock. Banded talon is quite rare in Mono anyway, with the only people using it being recent migrants from OU.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
While Talon is dominant, it is also frail, predictable and has a horrible weakness to SR. Certain pokes always walk all over some types, such as Aegislash with Psychic, Mega Gyarados with ground, and Keldeo with dark. Part of the charm of monotype is learning to deal with these things, and succeeding in spite of them (Well, hopefully).
Certainly a poke being hard to counter by a certain team isn't a problem. However, talon is not just hard to counter by one team, but almost impossible to counter by three types. Aegislash is somewhat countered by Flamethrower Slowbro, Mega Gyarados without Ice Fang is beaten one-on-one by Garchomp and Keldeo is walled by Mandibuzz or revenge killed by Greninja, and none of these pokemon are in any of my areas of expertise. It's still hard to deal with them, sure, but they don't automatically destroy the teams necessarily.
On a grass mono, you can do a couple of things. First, the mere presence of ferrothorn on a grass team mean that talon will be taking up to 70% of it's health in recoil damage if it ever wants to kill it. Coupled with stealth rocks, you can put the bird down fairly quickly. Another option is to use tangela, which has the physical bulk of satan hisself and regenerator to keep it healthy. It can either revenge kill Talon, or, provided SR aren't up, switch in and KO after recoil.
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 138-164 (41.3 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Tangela Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 236-280 (79.1 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just because one of the pokes beats Talonflame one-on-one doesn't mean that Talonflame isn't broken. U-turn does around 25%, and gains the team masses of initiative agaisnt a pokemon which has a very bad special defense stat, given you're going for full defense investment. Moreover, the team is having to get a pokemon which has little use outside of a Talonflame counter, whereas the counters I mentioned to your other examples were very usable in the team without those specific uses.

For Bug, I agree there are two usable, if not good counters. However, due to their lack of recovery it still seems like they have an extremely hard job dealing with Talon whenever I play against bug with my flying team, because of this (and Armaldo's need to come in to spin if certain pokemon want to switch in without taking 50% from Stealth Rock) it still feels very easy to deal with them, more than would normally be expected from a simple type advantage.
As for fighting, a combination of sashes, fighting/rock and fighting/steel types seem to be the best options. Scarf Terrakion can revenge kill reliably, and a couple of things can switch in. Physically defensive Cobalion takes brave birds easily, and can force out talon with the threat of stone edge. Lucario can also take a brave bird, and retaliate back with a strong E-speed.
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 188-224 (48.7 - 58%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 211-249 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 147-174 (49.3 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Now, here's where I really disagree with your counters. Neither Cobalion nor Lucario can switch in comfortably and think they're going to survive long enough to kill it, it really just beats both of them. Terrakion revenge kills (whether scarf or not), however losing a poke each time it comes out before scaring it away isn't going to win you any games.
Talon is very strong. But it is in no way invincible. When using a team weak to it, stealth rocks are imperative, as they are the easiest and generally fastest way of taking it out. Putting in a counter to it while teambuilding is required, but having to pack counters in monotype is not a new thing, and shouldn't be much of a problem. As to the choice set that is quite successful in OU, while it does do significantly more damage, it has no way of restoring health taken from recoil or stealth rock. Banded talon is quite rare in Mono anyway, with the only people using it being recent migrants from OU.
Certainly having to counter certain pokemon is normal, just as any OU team would have to be able to counter any of a number of big threats before being considered competitive. But I'm not convinced that any of the counters you mentioned actually work when considering it can use Brave Bird on the switch, then switch out to one of the many flying-type walls and come in at another good opportunity. Not many of these counters can come in on talonflame more than once and still expect to beat it, and Tangela isn't a particularly usable pokemon outside of countering Talonflame (and still loses a lot of momentum if U-turn is chosen instead).

Moreover, as I've mentioned in the past, Fire and Flying teams (especially those with Talonflame) almost always have a way of stopping Stealth Rock, be it defog, a rapid spin user, or even just a fast Taunt lead. Fire and Flying teams always have to be wary of Stealth Rock, and for this reason I'm not sure it can be listed as a reliable counter. Therefore, none of these three teams have yet shown themselves to have a good Gale Wings counter from what I've seen; therefore Gale Wings should be banned.

Sorry if I've seemed a little hard on you Zewwy, but this ability needs a ban.

+Death on Wings

Gonna have to disagree with the implications treecko made with his calcs earlier. One bravebird is all terrakion needs to take to destroy talonflame.
Likewise:
4 Atk Cradily Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 364-432 (122.1 - 144.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 520-616 (174.4 - 206.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bug has shuckle and crustle...
People are focusing far too much on what talonflame does against a pokemon offensively, instead of what a pokemon can do BACK to talonflame. Every
type has a pokemon or two to handle talonflame.

And as I see it right now, when you build a Bug/Grass/Fighting team, you first have to put on something to deal specifically for Talon, and then build your team around that because otherwise, you're screwed.
This happens in literally every metagame. There are ALWAYS powerful specific pokemon that you have to deal with when building a team. This is nothing new, and it's suprising to me that people are upset about having to pack a counter to a specific pokemon, especially when that counter actually works very well in destroying teams that talonflame usually accompanies. (See terrakion, breloom, and crustle, which are all very handy ways of stopping flying and fire teams.)

Furthermore, I have to disagree with DoW's statement that losing a pokemon to kill talonflame isn't going to win you any games. Murdering a lategame talonflame with my terrakion and then using the momentum to sweep their flying/fire teams is actually how I win most of my games against flying or fire. (And yes! I win over 50% of my games with fire and flying types on my fighting team.)

-Love, Acky

None of those are counters. They are checks. The fact that your best options are checks at best is where the problem arises

EDIT: also maintain that talonflame is not as big a problem for fighting teams as it is Bug/Grass. Terrakion is a better mon aĺl around than bug/grass checks.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Gonna have to disagree with the implications treecko made with his calcs earlier. One bravebird is all terrakion needs to take to destroy talonflame.
Likewise:
4 Atk Cradily Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 364-432 (122.1 - 144.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 520-616 (174.4 - 206.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bug has shuckle and crustle...
People are focusing far too much on what talonflame does against a pokemon offensively, instead of what a pokemon can do BACK to talonflame. Every
type has a pokemon or two to handle talonflame.
Sure, talon's frail, nobody denies that. If it were simply a case of revenge killing it, everything would be fine and no bans would be needed, but this is not the case. Talon can come in at a good time, e.g. if it predicts an ice punch from conkeldurr or whatever, and then brave bird. Say you decide to sack conkeldurr. Great, bring in Terrakion, you're going to KO right back. Except that the opponent knows this as well, so they go straight to skarmory, take whatever you throw at them, and the game goes on. All the while, you're taking entry hazards damage up to the point where a banded brave bird will take you out. Checking Talonflame is not good enough, especially if the check is OHKO'd after switching in on spikes twice.
This happens in literally every metagame. There are ALWAYS powerful specific pokemon that you have to deal with when building a team. This is nothing new, and it's suprising to me that people are upset about having to pack a counter to a specific pokemon, especially when that counter actually works very well in destroying teams that talonflame usually accompanies. (See terrakion, breloom, and crustle, which are all very handy ways of stopping flying and fire teams.)
Yes, I quite agree it happens in every metagame. For examply, my flying team has counters to Terrakion or Cradily which threaten to do plenty of damage with rock moves. The difference is that when scarf terrakion comes in vs. my flying team I don't have to let something faint then hope it's too stupid to switch out; I can just switch to skarmory and set up hazards at will. I have yet to be convinced there is a counter to Gale Wings Talonflame in any of these three types, therefore I still say that, despite it being one of the pokemon I use, Gale Wings Talonflame needs to be nerfed or banned.
Furthermore, I have to disagree with DoW's statement that losing a pokemon to kill talonflame isn't going to win you any games. Murdering a lategame talonflame with my terrakion and then using the momentum to sweep their flying/fire teams is actually how I win most of my games against flying or fire. (And yes! I win over 50% of my games with fire and flying types on my fighting team.)
Redwolf (Acky), I think there's a simple enough way to settle this. I'll play your fighting team with my flying for five games, and because of the type advantage if you beat me twice out of the five games, I'll reconsider my position on Talonflame. Because having to throw away pokes to get rid of talon is going to lose you at least four of those five games.

+Death on Wings

This is the problem people seem to have with talonflame: 3 types out of 18 have no solid counter, despite having multiple respective checks. What we need to address here is this:
Are we okay with 16% of teams having no end all counter to a specific pokemon, or is that a natural part of the game.

Also, DoW, i'll gladly take you up on that offer :P

-With love, Ack

How is Talonflame different from Aegislash, especifically SD Aegis with Shadow Sneak vs MonoPsychic? At +2 almost nothing can take those Shadow Sneaks, Meloetta can't OHKO in shield form, and nothing else can even switch in, your best counter is Malamar, and it sucks (and only compounds your bug weakness just to make it worse).

It's even worst than talonflame because it's not weak to hazards, and swithing out just makes him even harder to kill (since he can just attack, kill something, switch out & repeat, coming back with those boosted defenses). The few stuff that can take a +2 Shadow Sneak are unable to OHKO in shield form and hate shitching against Shadow Ball. Isn't it the same with Talon? It cannot be revenged, it can walk though MonoPsychic (And MonoGhost to a lesser way) pretty easily & has few (and bad) counters. Then it's just as deserving of a ban as Talon

DoW

formally Death on Wings
How is Talonflame different from Aegislash, especifically SD Aegis with Shadow Sneak vs MonoPsychic? At +2 almost nothing can take those Shadow Sneaks, Meloetta can't OHKO in shield form, and nothing else can even switch in, your best counter is Malamar, and it sucks (and only compounds your bug weakness just to make it worse).

It's even worst than talonflame because it's not weak to hazards, and swithing out just makes him even harder to kill (since he can just attack, kill something, switch out & repeat, coming back with those boosted defenses). The few stuff that can take a +2 Shadow Sneak are unable to OHKO in shield form and hate shitching against Shadow Ball. Isn't it the same with Talon? It cannot be revenged, it can walk though MonoPsychic (And MonoGhost to a lesser way) pretty easily & has few (and bad) counters. Then it's just as deserving of a ban as Talon
While Aegis is certainly bad for psychic (there's no denying that), there's still a number of differences. Firstly, sets without shadow ball can be countered if it doesn't set up, or checked if it does, by Metagross. Calcs:
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 128-152 (35.1 - 41.7%) -- 78% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 428-504 (132 - 155.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Note that this is just a normal Metagross set, so while Aegislash is a good reason to take it, it isn't only useful in countering Aegislash. It has other uses as well.
Secondly, Aegislash's priority isn't as fast or as powerful as that of Talonflame. While faster priority isn't much of an option still for Psychic teams, this stops it from being such a massive threat in terms of being outsped; Sucker Punch mew or something can still help against it IDK. Base 126 Speed, with base 120 power priority moves is more threatening than base 40 power from base 60 speed, which can still be outsped by most other priority.

Finally, Talonflame threatens three teams this badly, including teams that have proven to be effective in the past but are no longer as effective due, largely, to this one pokemon. If Aegislash was this much of a threat to more teams then maybe it would be more of a problem, however Psychic teams (which can counter it to some extent anyway) are only one type, and therefore a ban would be less necessary.

+Death on Wings

Problem with that is you assume Aegis is doing ANYTHING other than using SD against a Psychic team, which you shouldn't do unless you just revenged kill something (in which case you can just switch out and come back later). SD Aegislash without Shadow Ball would probably be SD / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / [Iron Head / Head Smash / Substitute] thus against a Psychic team there are only 2 moves you're gonna be using, Swords Dance or Shadow Sneak, the only reason to not boost right away Meloetta is still alive, and as I previously mentioned, she can't OHKO from full health in shield form (if she only uses SD then she's still has the 150 defenses). The only scenario where Metagross would Switch in against Aegis is in a mispredicted Iron Head/Sacred Sword, but why would Aegis do that if monopsychic is weak to ghost all around? there's no prediction because there is only one offensive move that Aegis should be using and that is Shadow Sneak. Base 40 BP might seem low but when it's boosted by LO, 150 atk, STAB & SE against a whole team (and then SD) it's pretty much gg, you can't even put pressure on him to avoid the SD because his bulk & typing can set up in a lot of staples in MP (Lati@s, Gardevoir, Medicham, Choice Locked Metagross, etc...) since he can survive a STABless Shadow Ball or Fire punch or even EQ, once, & finish your team without breaking a sweat. At least Ghost doesn't let him set up because everything can carry a Ghost or Dark move (And Sableye at least can burn him and recover the dmg). But Psychic, all you need is to come after something's been revenged, and then you can just press SD & Sweep (You can even boost to +3 sometimes, just tank a hit from whatever they send out, unless you're looking at Victini if you're at full health then you can assure your victory with Shadow Sneak).

And the fact that just because this is "only" MonoPsychic it's incredibly biased, you could say exactly the same about the type, that they proved to be very effective in the past but now are completely blown to pieces by ONE threat, yet nobody is calling Aegis for a ban even though they both shut down whole teams and at least Talon has more useful checks that have a reason to be on the team for other that countering that one mon.

I would not set up with Aegislash against Gardevoir since Garde can easily pack Will-O-Wisp. You have a point about the other mons though.

Furthermore, Aegislash can not be compared with Talonflame since the latter cannot be outsped due to Gale Wings.

About Gale Wings bans, I do not think that would even solve it. Fighting and Grass (Shaymin-S is banned) have nothing to outspeed even Flame Body Talonflame as long as Talon runs max speed, while Bug-types have Accelgor (lol) and Ninjask (leven more lol).
A Choice Scarf can mitigate this to an extent, but little prevents Talonflame to switch to something like Skarmory or just to Brave Bird again unless SR is on the field.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Problem with that is you assume Aegis is doing ANYTHING other than using SD against a Psychic team, which you shouldn't do unless you just revenged kill something (in which case you can just switch out and come back later). SD Aegislash without Shadow Ball would probably be SD / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / [Iron Head / Head Smash / Substitute] thus against a Psychic team there are only 2 moves you're gonna be using, Swords Dance or Shadow Sneak, the only reason to not boost right away Meloetta is still alive, and as I previously mentioned, she can't OHKO from full health in shield form (if she only uses SD then she's still has the 150 defenses). The only scenario where Metagross would Switch in against Aegis is in a mispredicted Iron Head/Sacred Sword, but why would Aegis do that if monopsychic is weak to ghost all around? there's no prediction because there is only one offensive move that Aegis should be using and that is Shadow Sneak. Base 40 BP might seem low but when it's boosted by LO, 150 atk, STAB & SE against a whole team (and then SD) it's pretty much gg, you can't even put pressure on him to avoid the SD because his bulk & typing can set up in a lot of staples in MP (Lati@s, Gardevoir, Medicham, Choice Locked Metagross, etc...) since he can survive a STABless Shadow Ball or Fire punch or even EQ, once, & finish your team without breaking a sweat. At least Ghost doesn't let him set up because everything can carry a Ghost or Dark move (And Sableye at least can burn him and recover the dmg). But Psychic, all you need is to come after something's been revenged, and then you can just press SD & Sweep (You can even boost to +3 sometimes, just tank a hit from whatever they send out, unless you're looking at Victini if you're at full health then you can assure your victory with Shadow Sneak).

And the fact that just because this is "only" MonoPsychic it's incredibly biased, you could say exactly the same about the type, that they proved to be very effective in the past but now are completely blown to pieces by ONE threat, yet nobody is calling Aegis for a ban even though they both shut down whole teams and at least Talon has more useful checks that have a reason to be on the team for other that countering that one mon.
I don't see why you shouldn't switch in metagross. Whether your opponent uses swords dance or shadow sneak, it's still not going to be able to KO Metagross before Earthquake KOs back, making it a perfectly good counter, unlike Grass, Bug or Fighting only being able to check Gale Wings Talonflame.
Moreover, saying "only" MonoPsychic isn't at all biased, I don't see how I'm anything but neutral here. The reason I'm saying "only" is that destroying one team is nowhere near as bad as destroying three whole teams. So Psychic isn't completely shut down by the single threat and even if it were it wouldn't be as bad as Talonflame in any case.
I would not set up with Aegislash against Gardevoir since Garde can easily pack Will-O-Wisp. You have a point about the other mons though.

Furthermore, Aegislash can not be compared with Talonflame since the latter cannot be outsped due to Gale Wings.

About Gale Wings bans, I do not think that would even solve it. Fighting and Grass (Shaymin-S is banned) have nothing to outspeed even Flame Body Talonflame as long as Talon runs max speed, while Bug-types have Accelgor (lol) and Ninjask (leven more lol).
A Choice Scarf can mitigate this to an extent, but little prevents Talonflame to switch to something like Skarmory or just to Brave Bird again unless SR is on the field.
There is such a thing as a choice scarf. Moreover, Rock Slide Scolipede could protect stall up to +1, before outspeeding and OHKOing. Scarf Terrakion suddenly becomes a counter, and I don't play against grass enough to know what good counters they could use but I'm sure you could think of something. If you really think there isn't anything, tell me and I'll find one.
And sure, Talon can switch out from a scarf user, but a counter is still a long way better than a check.

Hey friends i will be giving my 2 cents into this talonflame buisness once i have the time, ill just edit this post when i can

The arguments here are getting ridiculous... Stuff like this isn't even a metagame balancing problem, it's a ban of anything that threatens types too much for those who favor those types... Type advantages are always a thing.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 330-393 (90.6 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 330-393 (90.6 - 107.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 330-393 (90.6 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

(Note Spikes are more common in MonoGhost than SR & even in MonoSteel they are an easy fit)

As you can see Metagross can't switch in. Meanwhile

252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%)

As you can see Aegis can just tank the Earthquake & set up yet another Swords Dance, no Life Orb needed

+4 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 384-452 (105.4 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)