Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if it gets a nerf in the next generation people will learn how to spell it right.

Anyway, so there's content in this post..umm..yeah it was broken. Hooray it's banned!

Technically, they could have newer cartridges override older ones, which is what they did last gen when they changed Hypnosis's accuracy halfway through the generation.

That would be too much of a nerf I think.

That is what I was thinking...
Oops, part of that post got cut off in the middle. I meant to propose two different nerf. The first on was require an attack move, but still boost evasion.

2nd: If it couldn't boost evasion (and accuracy), it would have more trouble with phazers, but would probably still be broken. Pretty much none of them like a +2 surf/energy ball/toxic/etc.

3rd I just thought of: Only activates once, when switched in.

Well, Inconsistent's activation rate should've been Inconsistent considering the irony that it activates consistently every turn >_>

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Psych up registeel wouldn't work, for several reasons:

1) if they got a lot of sp atk boosts but no sp def boosts, they could probably 1hko you.
2) You're always 1-2 turns behind
3) Crits. If you get a crit, their sub absorbs it. If they get a crit, you die. And with surf alone, I think its an 86% (I calced it a while back, probably in this thread somewhere) chance for a crit before they run out of pp. Unless you're running both psych up and substitue, which makes it a very specialized counter- like scarf cresselia last gen. Heck, psych up alone is somewhat specialized. And registeel was UU last gen and got no real buffs this gen.
With the EV spreads the inconsistent pokes usually go for, it would probably take some time before Registeel dies to Surf/Waterfall or Earthquake from Glalie. However, you're right. Having to use Psych up every few turns would be troublesome and crits do mean that you've lost. Since Psych up isn't affected by evasion boosts, I believed it would make things easier for Registeel. He would only need to use it again if the inconsistent pokemon nabbed a boost that could potentially benefit him as well.

If Inconsistant only worked with Atk/Spatk/Def/Spdef, it probably would be alright.
No it wouldn't. While a bunch of hypothetical logs are out there where the inconsistent pokemon raises evasion on the first turn, there have also been plenty of battles where evasion wasn't even a factor. The evasion pokemon nabs the speed boost, stalls for more boosts via sub/protect, and then sweeps or stalls you out. Smeargle would still use ingrain to prevent phasing. The inconsistent pokemon will still be stalling for quite some time, thanks to leftovers/ingrain healing them for the subs. Perish song would still be considered one of the few checks to the ability. With defensive boosts, the substitutes wouldn't break that easily.

The only difference is that inconsistent may not have been as easily banned. Some called the ability skill-less...and I'm not sure how their opinion would change if it suddenly couldn't raise evasion.

Seriously, I'm done trying figure out a legitimate way to beat them, hopefully Inconsistent gets nerfed or something......
You won't find a way to do that for many Pokemon that are allowed in standard play, or you will find so few that, theorymoning, you could call "OMG OVERCENTRALIZATION11!!ONE"

I don't think anyone understood when I said 2 pages before "set up while he's setting up"

I mean, set up while he's going to protect, so he wastes his protect and you get a stat boost for free. If you

So you would set up while he's protecting, then you attack the next turn breaking his sub and so on. That way, unless he gets an useful defense boost 2 times in a row, you will always be one set ahead in terms of offensive power. The only concern would be if he has a super effective move against you or if he has evasion boosts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bullet seed Breelom

"HURRR HE CAN GETZ DEFENSAS OR EBASION BOOST U NOOB"

Maybe. In avarage, not.

"THEN ITS NOT A PERFEC CONTER I CANT RELY ON IT TO CONTER OCILTERY"

Shut up already, you wont find things like that against many other Pokemon often.

Setting up while they protect is still bad because all you're doing is letting them net more and more boosts while you sit there helplessly. If they get the right boost your set up will have been for not because they could just kill you the next turn. Think about it, if you set up while they use Protect, what will that have accomplished? Sure, they might not have gotten an Evasion boost, but the smart player will use Substitute next turn anticipating an attack (all Inconsistent users are slow, so they will have a Substitute up again if they do this), and then just use Protect the subsequent turn. By that time they could kill off your team, or worse, they've just netted the Evasion boost they've been looking for.

It's your best choice. You wont stand still doing nothing but attacking while he's using substitute and gaining stats. That way, you can break their subs.

This is, of course, assuming the inconsistent user was in the field first and you had to switch out, because they all are quite frail and slow after all. If you got the momentum in your side, you dont have to worry about them.

It's your best choice. You wont stand still doing nothing but attacking while he's using substitute and gaining stats. That way, you can break their subs.

This is, of course, assuming the inconsistent user was in the field first and you had to switch out, because they all are quite frail and slow after all. If you got the momentum in your side, you dont have to worry about them.
You break their subs (if you can hit through evasion).

Then they sub back up and continue to get their boosts.

Then eventually they attack and break you with +4-6 stats all around. And even if you boost your defence, octillery has an 86% chance iirc (its somewhere in this thread) to crit before he runs out of surf pp.

Except if that's your best option it /still/ doesn't stop the problem of them gaining the Special Attack/Evasion/Defense boost they need to survive your onslaught and then kill you.

No it wouldn't. While a bunch of hypothetical logs are out there where the inconsistent pokemon raises evasion on the first turn, there have also been plenty of battles where evasion wasn't even a factor. The evasion pokemon nabs the speed boost, stalls for more boosts via sub/protect, and then sweeps or stalls you out. Smeargle would still use ingrain to prevent phasing. The inconsistent pokemon will still be stalling for quite some time, thanks to leftovers/ingrain healing them for the subs. Perish song would still be considered one of the few checks to the ability. With defensive boosts, the substitutes wouldn't break that easily.

The only difference is that inconsistent may not have been as easily banned. Some called the ability skill-less...and I'm not sure how their opinion would change if it suddenly couldn't raise evasion.
If you checked my quote carefully, you'd note that I also removed speed, arguably the most useful stat, as well as accuracy/evasion.

Without speed, pretty much all of the users would be reliably outsped. Of the four remaining stats, only 2 would be useful at any one time if you were attacking either specially/physically and you were being attacked either physically/specially.

Smeargle@lefties
252hp/252speed/4 def jolly

Shell Break/Gear change
Sub
Protect
BP

That pretty much fixes the speed problem. You would need to force a switch, so making sure the opponent has a near dead pokemon they'll send in to absorb a spore can help. Not as broken though.

Still ridiculously luck dependent, and you can still get a correct defense boost against attackers and/or a sp atk boost vs phazers, so still very hard to counter. And with boosted defenses, it'll still sweep. Boosting alongside it becomes an option with the correct pokemon though.

You could use Kingdra to counter these guys. You can use Clear Smog, he resists most if not all their move. hehehe

You could use Kingdra to counter these guys. You can use Clear Smog, he resists most if not all their move. hehehe
Clear smog doesn't work. It was tested ingame and found not to work through subs. I don't think PO has been updated yet, its barely been more than a week.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
If you checked my quote carefully, you'd note that I also removed speed, arguably the most useful stat, as well as accuracy/evasion.

Without speed, pretty much all of the users would be reliably outsped. Of the four remaining stats, only 2 would be useful at any one time if you were attacking either specially/physically and you were being attacked either physically/specially.
Whoops, you're right. Well then, feel free to ignore my post. Inconsistent would actually be much easier to handle if it couldn't boost speed either.

Not to detract from the discussion or anything...but I'm rather surprised this thread is still getting responses, given that Inconsistent is banned.

Not to detract from the discussion or anything...but I'm rather surprised this thread is still getting responses, given that Inconsistent is banned.
I think something that needs to be discussed further is this ability's place in the uber tier and whether or not it should be banned even there. I personally am hugely in favour of an Ubers Inconsistent ban since its similar to OHKO and Evasion moves (being hugely luck based.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)