Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Ok I'm just learning how to do this on HGSS, and I have several questions that I would greatly appreciate help with:

1. If you correctly hit your seed when attempting to catch a method 1 or k pokemon but do not hit the correct frame, what is the best way to check which frame you actually hit? I'm trying to do this with the roamers.

2. When trying to get shiny eggs, how does the frame actually work? For example if I can get a shiny egg with the correct ability/nature at (example) 12:15:15 on frame 3 using RNG reporter, how do I get the egg to be generated on frame 3?

3. Is it safe to assume that the starting frame for HGSS eggs is 3 (when resetting for IVs) or is calibration actually necessary?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed the answer to these somewhere in the guide

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok I'm just learning how to do this on HGSS, and I have several questions that I would greatly appreciate help with:

1. If you correctly hit your seed when attempting to catch a method 1 or k pokemon but do not hit the correct frame, what is the best way to check which frame you actually hit? I'm trying to do this with the roamers.

2. When trying to get shiny eggs, how does the frame actually work? For example if I can get a shiny egg with the correct ability/nature at (example) 12:15:15 on frame 3 using RNG reporter, how do I get the egg to be generated on frame 3?

3. Is it safe to assume that the starting frame for HGSS eggs is 3 (when resetting for IVs) or is calibration actually necessary?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed the answer to these somewhere in the guide
1. Put the seed into the box that says "seed" on the main screen, select the correct method, hit generate, and finally find what you captured on that list.

2. Collecting an egg advances the frame, so in your example it would be the 3rd egg you collected. Word to the wise: go for eggs on frame 1. Sometimes the frame will skip unexpectedly.

3. Use a target frame of 15-20 so you can use the seed to time function to verify your seed and frame -- and then just advance the rest of the way. It really makes it so that you dont have to calibrate or really worry if you are on 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Put the seed, method and any synchers into RNGReporter's main page, hit generate and scroll down to your frame. Check nearby frames for whatever you did get.

First, hit your seed. Then generate three eggs; they'll match up to frames 1, 2 and 3 in order. That is, generating an egg advances the IRNG frame by one.

Not really, I had one on frame 1 the other day. If it's high enough, though, the Elm method will tell you which frame you're on. (But it does mean you might overshoot).

Thank you to both the above posters!

So just to clarify, I am assuming shininess is generated using the iRNG rather than the "regular" RNG so I don't have to worry about advancing the frame via phone calls or npcs, just generating and rejecting eggs to advance that frame. Is this correct?

Also is there an easier way to find an egg on frame 1 than just putting in random dates in RNG Reporter until I find one?

To RNG IVs while breeding I personally quickly open the Pokegear and call Elm 10 times to verify my seed. I then go to the radio to advance my frame until I am around 5 away from my target frame. I call Elm until I am one frame away from my target frame. Exit the pokegear and talk to the Day Care Man for my egg.

I did this for two pokemon and got the IVs successfully.

EDIT: If this might be helpful for anyone, my calibrated delay for HG is 485 and calibrated second is almost 14, but high 13 so when I use Pikatimer I make a wait of 61 seconds before I SR for the second timer of 13 seconds so I get a delay of 485 at second 14.

I've been having a lot of trouble using RNG for Egg IVs in HG. I am not getting adjacents or the target no matter how often I try, no matter what seed I try, no matter if I save in front of the daycare man again. I really need help. This has gone on for over two days.

Here are my screenshots showing my results/work on RNG Reporter and Pikatimer. If anyone will help me, I will write up my exact steps if necessary for you to look at so my problem can be solved.

Just so you know, I've tried Pikatimer with a beginning delay of 480, 490, and my calibrated delay of 493 with no luck. I do not get adjacents at all. I am using an AR while doing all this so I can verify my results. I managed to get one Pokemon with perfect IVs on HG and that is all. This is my second attempt and nothing I do works.
On Seed to Time, try increasing the numbers next to Delay from 20 to 99 and the numbers next to Seconds from 1 to 5 each. If your Elm responses still don't show up on the Seed to Time adjacents, then you need to check your delay the old fashioned way: open up Seed Finder, and either catch a random Pokemon, find its IVs using whatever method (AR Check IVs code is fine), and input them along with your target date & time into the Find Seed by IVs tab, or catch a ~50-level Pokemon and input its stats, along with your target date, time, and the other information it asks you for--species, nature, characteristic, level, etc--into the Find Seed by Stats tab.

Once you have that, go back to Pikatimer, type the delay you got into the Other Delay field, and click Update.

Explanation if you're curious: You know that white screen that shows up after you load/reset the game but before the intro music starts? During that, your delay is actually not increasing, while your seconds are. While Pikatimer calibrates for some of that, it doesn't take into account the fact that there could be a decimal on your calibrated seconds of 14, due to the amount of time that the white screen takes up being unknown, so the initial numbers are going to be off. What you do to fix that is find what delay the current timer numbers get you, and adjust the timer delay based on what you hit. For Pikatimer, that's the above, at least according to the instructions on the first page of this thread.

And just FYI, what Njb013 and Showsni described was a shortcut for advanced RNG users using Emloop, a web-based timer that works a bit differently.

No I did 3 Distortion worlds purposely because my frame I tried to hit was even. 520-1-22 = odd. Which leaves an extra frame after journal flips. So I did an extra 11 from the 3 distortion world maps which is 520-33-1 = 486/2 which is not 238 FML.. fail math...

I needed 5 more flips
If it helps, loading the Distortion World 47 times should give 517 frame advancements, just one journal flip short of your shiny.

Is there some kind of trick to finding your ideal spread in the Time Finder? Neither parent has a 30 Speed, so I just find myself going through the list looking for a bold number followed shortly by a "no..." because the rest of the IVs suck.

Edit: I found a spread that works for HP Ice 70 but is a day before I saved last and, for whatever reason, not giving me a journal to adjust my frame on. Is there any other way to adjust my frame reliably (by 8) or do I have to dig through more pages of spreads to find another good one?

Can anyone verify this results?

Time
3:32
3:37
3:40
3:42
3:46
3:50
3:54
3:56
3:59

Seconds

Delay

I know the seconds part is kinda obvious(15)
But I just want to confirm all things since I'm very noob at this.
I need a delay bracket. thanks!

600-610 would be your range, odd delays on that year.

Means you can hit more or less constant:

599, 601,603,605,607,609,611

In even terms it's 600-610

or 599-611 for odd if you're really that picky:P

I've never posted in a forum before, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I am trying to catch a shiny Lugia in soul silver

Seed: 6c0f01fc
Frame: 10
Delay: 498

I really don't have a good way to verify. I have no romers and I cant use
elms replies because I havn't been to kanto yet. I did however
consistently get the same delay and seconds during calibration.

So am I donig this right?
I am in lugias cave in the same room with him.
I have five pokemon in my party and walk 128 steps 2 times
because I read that walking 128 steps advances the frame by 1
for each pokemon in my party every 128 steps.
I surf up to lugia and talk to him.
This should produce a shiny lugia if I hit the right time and delay right?

I also read here that the 128 step method is sometimes inconsistent, but what I realy need to know is that if I keep doing it this way, is it likely that I will eventually get the shiny, or am I completely confused about this?

Oh, and does going in and out of lugias cave advance the frame?

I've never posted in a forum before, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I am trying to catch a shiny Lugia in soul silver

Seed: 6c0f01fc
Frame: 10
Delay: 498

I really don't have a good way to verify. I have no romers and I cant use
elms replies because I havn't been to kanto yet. I did however
consistently get the same delay and seconds during calibration.

So am I donig this right?
I am in lugias cave in the same room with him.
I have five pokemon in my party and walk 128 steps 2 times
because I read that walking 128 steps advances the frame by 1
for each pokemon in my party every 128 steps.
I surf up to lugia and talk to him.
This should produce a shiny lugia if I hit the right time and delay right?

I also read here that the 128 step method is sometimes inconsistent, but what I realy need to know is that if I keep doing it this way, is it likely that I will eventually get the shiny, or am I completely confused about this?

Oh, and does going in and out of lugias cave advance the frame?
when you are walking in areas with wild pokemon the rng advances by 1 for every step/turn you make

thanks, but the place i'm walking, (in the same room with lugia) there are no wild pokemon. would it work if I walked out of this room to a place where there are wild pokemon and then come back after i walk 10 steps/turns, or would this mess it up? I hope I'm not confusing.

when you are walking in areas with wild pokemon the rng advances by 1 for every step/turn you make
way too inconsistent, not every turn/step is = 1 advancement

He/She could use the radio instead. Not 100% consistent too but it proves to be more consistent at least.

For Seed Verifying he could use Irwin, it is easy to map out the Elm Results to Irwin I just did that the other day at Research Thread and RNGed my Electrode (Rocket Hideout:)) with Irwin succesfull yesterday.

Irwin can be gotten at Route 30, there is no special requierement for getting all his three messages.

Although you have to be careful when it comes to RNGing with him as he MIGHT seek a rematch and you gotta sort him to the top of your phone book as I experienced that scrolling down the phone book for him somehow messes things up, no clue how much though.

What? Again, why would you do that? You're only supposed to start abusing for IVs when you're locked with the egg you WANT to have those IVs on. Those are two different RNG Abuse processes.

^ So I have to manually continue hatching and releasing pokemons until I get pokemon with desired nature/gender/ability?
Um I gotta ask you have like 650 posts here and then you still ask such questions? Sorry I don't get it...
For every other guy I'd have just said go back read first page, reck your brain, try to understand.

I mean um.. well... read first page, reck your brain, try to understand. That's my advice.xD

I was talking about the step 4 of frame calibration phase;

Hatch this egg and make sure that it has the correct nature, ability, and gender. If it does not, release the Pokémon and go back to Step 2.

get in a seed (any seed will do)use the Egg PID option, do the coin flips/happiness taps
save in front of the day care man, congratulations you are locked in an egg with the ability/gender/nature you wanted

I was talking about the step 4 of frame calibration phase;
This is a quite useless process if you ask me.
Actually the whole calibration process...
I never calibrated in my life and just abused a wild one yesterday with a quite high (in Pehu terms it's low:P) delay of 2916, frame was about 70 so rather low but I never did any calibration and this was just on my retail, and I'm pretty sure I could do the same for breeding too.
Which proves whaaaaat?
Calibration is a rather dull and useless process...
PikaTimer ftw if you know how to use it, no calibration needed.

And yes, the Nature/Gender/Ability you will check is the one you've locked BEFORE, when you've abused the egg for shinyness/nature/gender/ability.

You don't go to the second step of the process, Egg IVs, without having abused the egg nature/gender/ability, or at least until you're saved on the egg you want.

You calibrate (for the folks that still do that, at least) for the egg you want, you don't go randomly calibrating. That's useless.

This is probably a stupid question, but I need to ask it because I'm at my wit's end here:

I'm trying to RNG abuse an egg in Platinum, and while I'm able to hit my time/delay/frame decently enough, every time I AM successful at hitting it, it seems like I'm not fast enough to prevent one of the NPCs from moving and botching the egg. This has happened over several seed choices, and it's annoying me to no end.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, do I need to re-save, repeat with a different inital frame, or am I just shit out of luck? Does anyone else have this problem? I'd like to think I'm not fast enough, but I've been hitting my frame consistently on wrong delays and... argh! HELP!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)