Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
is there a link for an old version of reporter? i dont have any parameters to plug in to the configure menu so havent been able to use pandora's box on the newest version
Looks like Reddit has a download link for 9.93. There are problems and features that have been addressed in the newest versions, so you might be better off just making up parameters to plug into the profile on the newest version.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
trying to get a safari pikachu in sapphire

spread im going for:
upload_2015-9-16_10-22-5.png

I hit my frame, etc and am getting the correct PID, nature, and IVs, but instead of a pikachu like this sheet is telling me that I should get with an encounter slot of 10, i'm getting an oddish which should be slot 0/1. anyone have any ideas whats going on?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
trying to get a safari pikachu in sapphire

spread im going for: View attachment 49902
I hit my frame, etc and am getting the correct PID, nature, and IVs, but instead of a pikachu like this sheet is telling me that I should get with an encounter slot of 10, i'm getting an oddish which should be slot 0/1. anyone have any ideas whats going on?
Wild stab in the dark that you're using a synchroniser.
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 19.34.24.png
These are some results I got from RNG Reporter with synchroniser checked. There was also a warning about how the encounter slots for safari zone are known to be off. It's probably worth catching one a frame earlier, a frame after, etc. to try and figure out what frame you're actually hitting.

If you did download the older version of RNG Reporter from above, it may well be that this is one of the areas that had some work done in between versions.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I took your advice and just used made up parameters, so I'm using 9.96.6 beta. im not using a sync, so ill retry with that (assuming that it works in the safari zone). ill play around with it a bit with a sync and ill let you know how it works. thanks a bunch

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Can anyone tell me if I have to level up the red gurados in HGSS before I check its IVs to find my SID? I only have 1 rare candy :(
You have to put in the exact IVs into the Chain to SID tool, so you most likely will have to level it up. Since it's encountered at level 30, that's probably not high enough to find the exact IVs (although it should be close).

Hi I need a litle help with the rng for pokemon found via POkemon radar in Pokemon pearl. I have been following this guide.

I've been trying to get a Ditto with perfect IVs in route 218. According to this list, if using the pokemon radar, Dittos should appear in slot 6, 7, 10 and 11 right?

But after hitting my seed (411409DB) and my frame (76) 4 times in a row I only got Gastrodon. So what's going on? What could I've been doing wrong?

Oh and excuse any mistake in grammar or whatever, english isn't my first language.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi I need a litle help with the rng for pokemon found via POkemon radar in Pokemon pearl. I have been following this guide.

I've been trying to get a Ditto with perfect IVs in route 218. According to this list, if using the pokemon radar, Dittos should appear in slot 6, 7, 10 and 11 right?

But after hitting my seed (411409DB) and my frame (76) 4 times in a row I only got Gastrodon. So what's going on? What could I've been doing wrong?

Oh and excuse any mistake in grammar or whatever, english isn't my first language.
Welcome to Smogon! ^_^

Have you tried checking the IVs of the Gastrodon and comparing that to the nearby frames (i.e. how do you know you are hitting frame 76)? Are you going into a sparkling patch? I suppose you could also try to start your chain and follow the basic method of getting a shiny Pokemon from the radar (farther down in the guide) if necessary.

edit: According to this post, the encounter slots are sometimes off when starting your chain. They recommend that you start your chain first, and then rng your Pokemon. Note that the "actual frame" = Occidentary.

edit2:It's essentially the same method as obtaining a shiny Pokemon in the guide you listed, but put another way.

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon! ^_^
Have you tried checking the IVs of the Gastrodon and comparing that to the nearby frames (i.e. how do you know you are hitting frame 76)? Are you going into a sparkling patch? I suppose you could also try to start your chain and follow the basic method of getting a shiny Pokemon from the radar (farther down in the guide) if necessary.

edit: According to this post, the encounter slots are sometimes off when starting your chain. They recommend that you start your chain first, and then rng your Pokemon. Note that the "actual frame" = Occidentary.

edit2:It's essentially the same method as obtaining a shiny Pokemon in the guide you listed, but put another way.
Thanks, I just started playing pokemon this month, so I'll probably be here for a while.

Well I know I was hitting my frame correctly, because the 4 gastrodons had the exact Ivs and nature I was looking for. I didn't think about starting the chain first, and thanks for the link to that post, it explains why ditto did not came out in that slot (7)

So I've been trying to catch Dialga on Pokemon Diamond. I'm using the latest version of PPRNG and ZomgTimer. The seed I'm aiming for is 52140289 with a delay of 649 and PID F9426F72 which should give me a hex flawless modest Dialga. I selected 2015/09/03 and 20:55:00 for the time from the drop box. However while I've been hitting the actual delay 634 correctly it seems to give me a completely different seed when I check via coin flips. According to the coin flips I keep hitting seed 53140289 which has the same date and almost the same time 20:55:01. Is there something I can do to make this RNG easier? Thanks.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
To get your Dialga, you need to hit the right time and the right delay. Try taking 1 second off of the first timer, and you should be fine. Don't mess with the second timer though since you are getting the right delay. If you can't edit the timer directly (not sure how ZomgTimer works), then I think you could take one second off of your desired seconds (so make it 59) as a workaround.

To get your Dialga, you need to hit the right time and the right delay. Try taking 1 second off of the first timer, and you should be fine. Don't mess with the second timer though since you are getting the right delay. If you can't edit the timer directly (not sure how ZomgTimer works), then I think you could take one second off of your desired seconds (so make it 59) as a workaround.
Actually I found that I can easily hit the seed if I leave my calibrated delay at 600 instead of changing it after every false hit. Quick question: Is journal flipping the only way to advance the IV frame in Diamond?

Actually I found that I can easily hit the seed if I leave my calibrated delay at 600 instead of changing it after every false hit. Quick question: Is journal flipping the only way to advance the IV frame in Diamond?
no you can use chatots to advance frames as well and I at least prefer chatots since they can let you confirm your seed again and let you know where you are if/when you find the pattern.

I finally delved in the pits that is 4th gen RNG. I RNG'd my Platinum for a specific IV spread. Now, can I actually RNG my starter? I have no Pokémon to use to advance frames. I found a really cool spread at like frame 5 and Sinnoh starters are generated at 1....Do I just hope that the people on the route move and therefor change my frame? =/

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I finally delved in the pits that is 4th gen RNG. I RNG'd my Platinum for a specific IV spread. Now, can I actually RNG my starter? I have no Pokémon to use to advance frames. I found a really cool spread at like frame 5 and Sinnoh starters are generated at 1....Do I just hope that the people on the route move and therefor change my frame? =/
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_part2#stepfour

It has been a while so I can't remember exactly how the Journal works, whether you can use it at that point or not. But otherwise yes, you will have to hope for those NPCs to move xD

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Even if you can use the Journal to advance the frame (which I don't believe you have access to before you get your starter), there isn't a way to determine what seed you hit (as in you can't verify the seed when you start the game). So you would basically be doing educated SRing while hoping the NPCs advance the frame. Now if all this is on an emulator, then it's a little more trivial.

Last edited:
A few questions regarding 3rd gen RNG:

1. I've read this guide on Emerald Egg PID abuse, but what are the actual steps that I do once I've calibrated? When do I do the "redraws?" What do I do as the timer hits 0? Do I have to test my ability to hit a target PID with Spinda for any Egg PID project, or only for shiny ones?
2. If I remember correctly, R/S Egg PID abuse is much more difficult than Emerald, even with a dead battery. Can someone please confirm/deny this?
3. When it comes to R/S live battery abuse, what's the best way to keep track of time from when you start your game with a live battery or insert a live battery? Someone should write a program for this! If there's interest, I may try my hand at it. Also, the day/time that is used in RNG Reporter is the day/time that you load the game, right?
4. Does a dead battery in Emerald have any known effect on the RNG (such as allowing the possibility to RNG your ID/SID)?

Thanks!

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
4. Does a dead battery in Emerald have any known effect on the RNG (such as allowing the possibility to RNG your ID/SID)?
'Fraid not. AFAIK TID/SID abuse isn't really a thing without an emulator (or at the very least save states).

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
1. I've read this guide on Emerald Egg PID abuse, but what are the actual steps that I do once I've calibrated? When do I do the "redraws?" What do I do as the timer hits 0? Do I have to test my ability to hit a target PID with Spinda for any Egg PID project, or only for shiny ones?
I believe the process is the same from when you calibrated: Put the parents in the daycare and then run 254 steps and save. SR, and when the timer hits 0, move the last step to see if the egg is generated. If not, repeat. The redraws are done after you start the game and before the timer ends (and you take the last step). If you also want to RNG the IVs, you'll need to save after the egg is generated. If it doesn't have the right PID, then you'll need to start the whole process over (including putting the parents in the daycare). When going for IVs, you push A at the "take good care of it!" screen when the Timer ends. If you want to hit a specific PID frame, then I'd imagine you have to test if you can hit it every time.

Not sure if anyone help me with this but I want to catch a shiny Mewtwo and I'm not sure which game is the best game to do it on. Will I find better or easier shiny spreads in FRLG or in HGSS?

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if anyone help me with this but I want to catch a shiny Mewtwo and I'm not sure which game is the best game to do it on. Will I find better or easier shiny spreads in FRLG or in HGSS?
Is infinitely better and easier to do it on HGSS, unless you care about niche/mostly useless 3rd gen tutor moves (like SelfDestruct or lolMetronomeMimicDynamicPunch), which is the only selling point of RNGing it in FRLG over HGSS. Oh and as of spreads, you can literally find the same spreads on both games, so yeah, HGSS is better all the way.

Last edited:
Is infinitely better and easier to do it on HGSS, unless you care about niche/mostly useless 3rd gen tutor moves (like SelfDestruct or lolMetronomeMimicDynamicPunch), which is the only selling point of RNGing it in FRLG over HGSS. Oh and as of spreads, you can literally find the same spreads on both games, so yeah, HGSS is better all the way.
Thanks. Sorry for my noob questions ,it's been awhile since I've even looked at anything RNG related, but are there any shiny spreads that are "native" to the games? As in any game can get them? Or are all shiny spreads tied to different OT/ID combos?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks. Sorry for my noob questions ,it's been awhile since I've even looked at anything RNG related, but are there any shiny spreads that are "native" to the games? As in any game can get them? Or are all shiny spreads tied to different OT/ID combos?
Shininess depends on the TID/SID, so whether a frame is shiny will vary between games (unless of course you have the exact same IDs).

edit: well ok there's some (very) slight leeway on having the exact same IDs, but the point is the same.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)