Move Priority

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
(Everything in this post is accurate according to this)

As it was the case last time, some moves have changed priority. Only a handful of the new moves have some kind of priority. And, finally, there is no move with a priority of -2. Again.

The priority bracket is as follows; any move not listed here has a priority of 0:

Code:
+5: Helping Hand

+4: Protect, Detect, Endure, Magic Coat, Snatch

+3: Fake Out, Follow Me, "Wide Guard", "Rage Power", "Fast Guard"

+2: ExtremeSpeed, Feint

+1: Quick Attack, Bide, Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave, Bullet Punch, Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, Aqua Jet, "Side Change"

-1: Vital Throw

-2: (none)

-3: Focus Punch

-4: Revenge, Avalanche

-5: Counter, Mirror Coat

-6: Whirlwind, Roar, "Overhead Throw", "Dragon Tail"

-7: Trick Room, "Wonder Room", "Magic Room"
Discuss any changes/impact/whatever in here. Have fun!

Fake Out is +3? Revenging priority users sounds handy.

Extremespeed finally is in a different bracket than all the other ones, I guess that could help dodging Sucker Punches

It always confused me why Extremespeed had the same priority as Quick Attack. Now that has been fixed. Extremespeed is looking good for Lucario; it can no longer be revenged by Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave as has been noted above. Besides that, no major changes I guess.

I always thought Extremespeed WAS +2...Well, it makes more sense that it's faster than +1 priority moves, although it does kind of suck that Mach Punch can't revenge Lucario anymore.

I was kinda hoping dragon tail would have a normal priority, to be like the ultimate phazing move. I guess not.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fake Out got a huge boost, especially in double and triple battles. Even a slow Fake Out user can now flinch the user of any other priority attack.

Far more important is that a faster Fake Out user can flinch a Pokémon using Follow Me or Rage Powder. Finally!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Fake Out got a huge boost, especially in double and triple battles. Even a slow Fake Out user can now flinch the user of any other priority attack.

Far more important is that a faster Fake Out user can flinch a Pokémon using Follow Me or Rage Powder. Finally!
HOLY JIZZ! THIS IS TRUE?!!

So much new stuff to memorize for VGC?!!?!

I had all this stuff down and now it's gonna alserituaerioagl;rkgha;lirgha;lgih...

Start over again @_@

This is such useful information though. We don't really have to fear Follow Me Kiss anymore cuz we can just Fake Out before he Follow Me's. Man this is a different world!!

1 thing though, what is the source of that chart?

extemespeed and fake out moving is interesting.

If there are no moves with -2 priority why do we not just call -3 priority -2 priority?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
extemespeed and fake out moving is interesting.

If there are no moves with -2 priority why do we not just call -3 priority -2 priority?
Because that's not how it is in the data.

I am very curious about the implications of Fake Out for VGC metagames, since I was planning on getting into it this gen. Any veteran VGC player care to explain how much of an impact it will have?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Because that's not how it is in the data.

I am very curious about the implications of Fake Out for VGC metagames, since I was planning on getting into it this gen. Any veteran VGC player care to explain how much of an impact it will have?
HOLY JIZZ! THIS IS TRUE?!!

So much new stuff to memorize for VGC?!!?!

I had all this stuff down and now it's gonna alserituaerioagl;rkgha;lirgha;lgih...

Start over again @_@

This is such useful information though. We don't really have to fear Follow Me Kiss anymore cuz we can just Fake Out before he Follow Me's. Man this is a different world!!

1 thing though, what is the source of that chart?
A pretty big one. The biggest reason anyone ever ran FM on anything was to thwart FakeOut (Taunt too, but FO mostly). This changes the way we're gonna have to think about battles.

First example. Say your Rayquaza (hey, some people used him to success this past year :p) is brought to his sash. Used to, I'd pair him with a FM poke like Lucario in order to draw away your opponent's next mon's priority move. But now, if they happen to switch in say a Toxicroak or whatever on the turn before.... man... you gotta think twice.... What are your stats, what could his stats be.... @_@

Secondly, ESpd. Just bringing Rayquaza back in as an example, used to, he really wasn't all that much of a threat as long as you had a priority user who was faster than him. NOW... idunno man... Say your infernape brings him to his sash with HP I 70, but he knocks your infernape to his sash with EQ. Used to, as long as you had Mach Punch you'd be okay... now... :x Protect and attack with your partner? Hope he doesn't call ya. :/

I was really hoping You First had at least +2 priority so users didn't have to use Scarves, but I guess I was dreaming. Chillarmy and his Evo get it, and they're fast, but they aren't bulky enough to use it more than once. I guess Togekiss is the best we have.

I am sure that Fake Out and other priority users will be very useful in the new metagame, with many, many sweepers being born, it will be difficult to stop.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes, now a boosted Dragonite won't have to worry about Ice Shard at all. Up yours, Mence.
The corrolary to this is "Yes, Now a boosted Dratini won't have to worry about Ice Shard/Sucker Punch at all. Up yours, LC."

Better keep your Tech Fake Out Meowth and Chilarmy in reserve...

From what I heard the biggest change is probably extreme speed moving up a priority rank but even then it does change a lot of what you can do. I've never put much thought into priority moves so it'll be fun to play around with it ;)

From what I heard the biggest change is probably extreme speed moving up a priority rank but even then it does change a lot of what you can do. I've never put much thought into priority moves so it'll be fun to play around with it ;)
Extremespeed being higher priority than Ice Shard is finally what makes Dragonite useful over Salamence and Garchomp. He can actually take out Weavile and with DD Mamoswine before they can Shard him.

Extremespeed being +2 is now a huge boost for Linoone, who now cant be revenged by faster mach punches, for those who didnt use salac berry.

besides the aforementioned specific matchups in regards to ES being +2 priority the big loser has to be Sucker Punch which will now fail against an ES user.

On a related priority topic, does anyone know if negative priority moves trigger a cutsap berry on an appropriately wounded pokemon or does the cutsap berry remain unused until the pokemon uses a move that is 0 priority or better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)