SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

so amid all the dex chat in the other thread...
It was especially grating since the TGC snippets were often pretty cool (I've not played the TGC since I was young, but the little flavour text on the cards were often much more interesting than the main games' dex entries). My favourite is "more and more people play the slots every day, trying to win a Porygon".
This caught my eye, since for hte most part, I assumed that during the "dex entry on cards" era of the TCG, it ws just the game entries.

Base Set for example, that runs off RB. The johto sets often pull from the johto games. And so on. Interestingly some of them seem to be retranslated and thus reworded in localization; wonder if they just had different trranslators on staff or referencing different drafts? Even if a POkemon kept showing up in sets, they would often reuse entries. Pikachu, for example, has a billion cards in this era and they all have the same exact entry (RB).

But...the one exception to this that I can find is the Team Rocket set. So the Porygon one mentioned by green typhlosion, for example
More and more people play the slots every day, trying to win a Porygon.
This isnt from anything.
If you check all these cards, near as I can tell (its possible there's another set that goes original that I missed), they all have a unique entry. Which seems, more or less, unique to this set. The next 2 sets dropped them entirely, the neo sets-on went back to reusing dex entries until they were dropped again. Promos that ran after this set, again just use either the same entries or yellow's entries where appropriate. So it really stands out.
Rocket was released in Japan around...97. While a number of the new entries do seemed designed around the idea of "dark" pokemon (ie: charizard & alakazam look as if possesed, dragonite's referred to as a god of destruction, etc) paaaaart of me wonders if they might've been made for a game?

I dunno, maybe an original conceit would be Blue (96 in japan) would have "darker" entries, or at one point instead of Pink to gowith Yellow we'd have Black or something. Honestly it probably is just the TCG folks wanting to do something fun for the "evil" set and they just never did something like it again. But I keep thinking to this Togepi promo https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Togepi_(Wizards_Promo_30) that has an entry found only in a GS prototype and wonder "maybe....?"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So something odd about certain Rare League Cards. Now most cards there's no question how they got the photo for it, even the ones at some "extreme" angles could easily be explained by it being taken by the Drone Rotom (or the character themselves). However there are four where I wonder who took the picture and also thinking "would this character really approve this being made into a League Card"?

Bea, Allister, Avery, & Klara

Bea: It's explained in Bea's Rare Card she rarely smiles because of her parent's strict training. It then ends asking who has ever seen Bea smile... and we have this shot of Bea smiling. But she's not smiling at the camera, she's smiling at what looks to be a Black Belt and the picture was taken from behind the Black Belt's left side. The rare card asks who seen Bea smiling, I ask who's the creeper who hid behind said person waiting to take an unsolicited picture of Bea?
And then comes my second question: Bea gave permission for them to make it into a League Card? Now, Bea's and Avery's aren't major invasion of privacy (though they still are), but for Allister and especially Klara it is; but we'll get to them. Fight now we're focusing on Bea, and even if it's just a smile I would still be pissed at both whoever took the picture and possible the person I trusted with seeing a personal moment. That's a major betrayal of trust, and this image is only a harsh reminder of the betrayal. Yet, Bea allowed it to be her rare League Card. I guess you could maybe spin it that the person she trusted knew Bea been wanting to show a softer side but didn't know how to, so planned for this picture to be taken so that Bea would have an image of her smiling to show everyone she's not a karate robot (though Bea is too shy to just show it to anyone so keeps it as a rare for people she trusts); but that's kind of a stretch.

Allister: Now his rare League Card does question who took the picture and suggest it was maybe one of his Ghost-types. Okay, so I guess that question is answered... but not why Allister let it be his rare League Card. Allister goes out of his way to keep his face hidden in public, this card apparently being the only picture of him without his mask. If Allister is so insistent to keep his face hidden, why would he allow any image of his face, especially one he did not agree to be taken, to be made his rare card? Like with Bea is this maybe an attempt to try and open up, one of his Ghost-types taking this picture so he can show to people he trust that under the mask he's just a normal kid?

Avery: So this one is odd as whoever took this picture would be in plain sight of Avery and would have the camera low to the ground. There's no way Avery wouldn't know what they were doing. But the thing is Avery is very self-conscious of his image, and not sure if this would be a picture of him he'd want to be showing around where he's mid-workout, his face showing he's straining, and his G-Slowbro on his back. Not exactly a flattering picture.

Klara: The biggest invasion of privacy. Whoever took this one is just a straight-up pervert. Klara is in her room in the Dojo, she's only wearing a tank top & underwear, and she has a beauty mask on. And whoever took this picture is doing so from around a corner and at a low to the ground position. Even if Klara is the type of flirt who would have a picture of herself like this, this one was clearly unsolicited. Like with Bea above, if I was Klara I would be very pissed at whoever took this picture, and if it was a fellow student from the Dojo I'd say even have Mustard kick them out for invasion of privacy. But of course she still approved it to be her rare card...

I guess the simplest answer (even though I don’t think it’s the canonical explanation) is that these photos aren’t truly candid. If celebrity culture in the Pokémon world is anything like it is in the real world (i.e. bad and toxic), these kinds of photos might be ‘leaked’, because people love to feel as though they’ve been let in on a secret part of a public figure’s life. It feeds into that whole parasocial relationship thing.

Any trainer who’s looking to raise their public profile might use league cards as a way to entice people into feeling a false sense of intimacy. You might even exaggerate parts of your character so that the rarer photos of those quiet ‘candid’ moments feel more special.

At the very least I think that makes a lot more sense than ‘maybe this is Klara’s kink’ lmao.

Last edited:
Ok, look. I love ORAS to death and will defend it for as long as I live. It does so many things great that people sadly didn't and still don't seem to appreciate.

...But seriously, what was up with "The Battle Frontier project has started!"? A woefully misguided attempt at fanservice? A teaser for an update/DLC that never happened?
i am 100% certain its meant as the woefully misguided attempt at fanservice because treating certain elements of Emerald as a "sequel" is done a few times in ORAS

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
image.jpg

A placeholder emote from the recently leaked SWSH 2018 beta. Any idea what this could be? All the other emotes were recognizable Pokemon or featured recognizable Pokemon in them, so this is the seeming odd man out. My only guess is that's Mew using Transform judging by the amalgamous shape and ":3" emoticon. Could the translated kanji provide a clue?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So something odd about certain Rare League Cards. Now most cards there's no question how they got the photo for it, even the ones at some "extreme" angles could easily be explained by it being taken by the Drone Rotom (or the character themselves). However there are four where I wonder who took the picture and also thinking "would this character really approve this being made into a League Card"?

Bea, Allister, Avery, & Klara

Bea: It's explained in Bea's Rare Card she rarely smiles because of her parent's strict training. It then ends asking who has ever seen Bea smile... and we have this shot of Bea smiling. But she's not smiling at the camera, she's smiling at what looks to be a Black Belt and the picture was taken from behind the Black Belt's left side. The rare card asks who seen Bea smiling, I ask who's the creeper who hid behind said person waiting to take an unsolicited picture of Bea?
And then comes my second question: Bea gave permission for them to make it into a League Card? Now, Bea's and Avery's aren't major invasion of privacy (though they still are), but for Allister and especially Klara it is; but we'll get to them. Fight now we're focusing on Bea, and even if it's just a smile I would still be pissed at both whoever took the picture and possible the person I trusted with seeing a personal moment. That's a major betrayal of trust, and this image is only a harsh reminder of the betrayal. Yet, Bea allowed it to be her rare League Card. I guess you could maybe spin it that the person she trusted knew Bea been wanting to show a softer side but didn't know how to, so planned for this picture to be taken so that Bea would have an image of her smiling to show everyone she's not a karate robot (though Bea is too shy to just show it to anyone so keeps it as a rare for people she trusts); but that's kind of a stretch.

Allister: Now his rare League Card does question who took the picture and suggest it was maybe one of his Ghost-types. Okay, so I guess that question is answered... but not why Allister let it be his rare League Card. Allister goes out of his way to keep his face hidden in public, this card apparently being the only picture of him without his mask. If Allister is so insistent to keep his face hidden, why would he allow any image of his face, especially one he did not agree to be taken, to be made his rare card? Like with Bea is this maybe an attempt to try and open up, one of his Ghost-types taking this picture so he can show to people he trust that under the mask he's just a normal kid?

Avery: So this one is odd as whoever took this picture would be in plain sight of Avery and would have the camera low to the ground. There's no way Avery wouldn't know what they were doing. But the thing is Avery is very self-conscious of his image, and not sure if this would be a picture of him he'd want to be showing around where he's mid-workout, his face showing he's straining, and his G-Slowbro on his back. Not exactly a flattering picture.

Klara: The biggest invasion of privacy. Whoever took this one is just a straight-up pervert. Klara is in her room in the Dojo, she's only wearing a tank top & underwear, and she has a beauty mask on. And whoever took this picture is doing so from around a corner and at a low to the ground position. Even if Klara is the type of flirt who would have a picture of herself like this, this one was clearly unsolicited. Like with Bea above, if I was Klara I would be very pissed at whoever took this picture, and if it was a fellow student from the Dojo I'd say even have Mustard kick them out for invasion of privacy. But of course she still approved it to be her rare card...
Interesting how these are all version specific characters. Also lol, underwear? Idk man I see girls every day wearing similar stuff around where I live. The two IoA ones aren’t surprising to me that much anyway, the amount of workout pics taken by people or that people take for their friends and put on social media is astounding.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
View attachment 283701

A placeholder emote from the recently leaked SWSH 2018 beta. Any idea what this could be? All the other emotes were recognizable Pokemon or featured recognizable Pokemon in them, so this is the seeming odd man out. My only guess is that's Mew using Transform judging by the amalgamous shape and ":3" emoticon. Could the translated kanji provide a clue?
i spammed google translate and i got nothing, maybe it's a cry or something? the second letter was giving me Headaches bc i couldnt tell what it was so i might be wrong

View attachment 283701

It's the new April Fools mon from Pokémon Showdown (?)

Still doesn't quite explain why despite seemingly having such a surplus of rare and powerful Pokemon that he can sell them, he still arms his grunts with rats and bats.

My guess is that he doesn't want his grunts to have enough power to overthrow him. From what I've gathered, that seems to be a looming threat in organized crime (or really any group where leadership can be earned through revolution, see many real-life dictators being paranoid nutcases).
I always viewed it as Team Rocket relying more on sneak tactics and pure numbers combined with Giovanni willingly keeping his underlings weak as not to deal with any potential uprisings. Which also why I never purchased coin in the Rival Joins TR Theory especially the section where the theory has Giovanni/TR giving Blue a Rhyhorn and other rare Pokemon.

Now for gameplay, obviously, they don't want to overwhelm the player but if you are looking for real world reasons, just see it as a crime version of the Soviet Army human wave belief. Of course, maybe the TR grunts are powerful to the average trainer but since the player character is a prodigy, they are hopelessly outclassed.

Was Avery suppose to use G-Slowking? Peony doesn't use it, Nia uses Tyrantrum, and it focuses more on being Psychic than G-Slowbro, with Eerie spell being Psychic. My only question on Klara's league card is

whether the distortion around her Slowbro is evidence that she photshopped her chest to look larger. I thought it was to make her Slowbro cuter.

Was Avery suppose to use G-Slowking? Peony doesn't use it, Nia uses Tyrantrum, and it focuses more on being Psychic than G-Slowbro, with Eerie spell being Psychic. My only question on Klara's league card is

whether the distortion around her Slowbro is evidence that she photshopped her chest to look larger. I thought it was to make her Slowbro cuter.
Slowking for Avery would make sense...

As for Klara's card, I think it's supposed to be a fisheye lens. I just know it's definitely not photoshop, because
  1. Her right (our left) arm would also be distorted
  2. Her chest actually is that big

Slowking definitely feels like something haphazardly put into Crown Tundra as just a way to...I dunno, artificially extend the excitement? Slowpoke isnt even in the Tundra Dex.

E: So Klara & Avery show up in the Stars Tournament and get a new 5-pokemon battle at the dojo and their 5th pokemon is....Slowking-G
And Avery specifically uses Slowking-G as his ace now.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Was Avery suppose to use G-Slowking?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were thinking it, just as they were probably thinking of designing another Galarian Variant com mon for Frozen Tundra. However along the way they decided not to do another Galarian Variant and/or realized the method they made for evolving G-Slowpoke was complicated (and Arceus forbid they make things simpler) so decided to split them, G-Slowbro in IoA and G-Slowking in FT. But that meant Avery couldn't use G-Slowking, but with G-Slowbro being Psychic/Poison it still worked for both of the rivals.

Though, thinking about it, G-Slowbro didn't need to be a version variant, it could have been its own regional evolution (Slowduel, to go along with its Quick Draw Ability). Slowking isn't Johtian Slowbro, so why did G-Slowbro had to be a regional variant even though the Shellder attached to its arm instead of its tail? Well, guess it doesn't matter now.

The distortion is strange. Though it is Psychic-type so maybe the effect isn't a photoshop but rather her G-Slowbro is having some kind of mental distortion going on. *shurgs*

As for Klara's chest being bigger *Goes to Google Images and types in "Pokemon Klara's chest"* Actually she may have photoshopped them to be smaller from all the images I'm seeing. I'm surprised she could even find a bra big enough & fit inside her Gym Uniform.

E: So Klara & Avery show up in the Stars Tournament and get a new 5-pokemon battle at the dojo and their 5th pokemon is....Slowking-G
And Avery specifically uses Slowking-G as his ace now.
Oh... wait why does Klara have G-Slowking? *Checks G-Slowking* Oh, it's also Poison/Psychic! I thought it was Ghost/Psychic.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Something I've wondered about for a while.

Back when GSC remakes were still a topic of speculation, hackers uncovered location data for "Johto" in the location data lists for the Gen IV games, seemingly proving that games with that location data would eventually get made. This tag will show up on a Pokemon's status screen to mark it as being from a Johto-based game, much like how a Pokemon sent up through Pal Park will read "Kanto", "Hoenn", or "distant land" as its location depending on the game it was created in.

However, when we got GSC remakes... the "Johto" data went unused, and Pokemon from HGSS read as being met in a "faraway place". Huh. But Pokemon from DPP show up with their correct location data in HGSS. A Pokemon caught on Route 216 in Pearl will still say it was met on Route 216 in HGSS, despite that being in another region.

This happens in later generations, too. Gen VI will identify Pokemon from past generations correctly ("Hoenn", "Johto", "Sinnoh", etc), but a Pokemon from ORAS will register as "faraway place" in XY, while a Pokemon from XY will still display the correct, specific place of origin (Route 22, Vaniville Town, etc) if traded to ORAS. Even though a marker for "Hoenn" exists in the game data.

Now, I know why this happens from a practical standpoint. Older games can't recognise newer games as easily as newer games recognise the older games, so the older games default to using a placeholder. However, it would have been possible to rig the newer games to show up as "Johto" from the point of view of the older ones. I guess it's just lazy coding? It breaks the immersion for me a little, though.

Something I've wondered about for a while.

Back when GSC remakes were still a topic of speculation, hackers uncovered location data for "Johto" in the location data lists for the Gen IV games, seemingly proving that games with that location data would eventually get made. This tag will show up on a Pokemon's status screen to mark it as being from a Johto-based game, much like how a Pokemon sent up through Pal Park will read "Kanto", "Hoenn", or "distant land" as its location depending on the game it was created in.

However, when we got GSC remakes... the "Johto" data went unused, and Pokemon from HGSS read as being met in a "faraway place". Huh. But Pokemon from DPP show up with their correct location data in HGSS. A Pokemon caught on Route 216 in Pearl will still say it was met on Route 216 in HGSS, despite that being in another region.

This happens in later generations, too. Gen VI will identify Pokemon from past generations correctly ("Hoenn", "Johto", "Sinnoh", etc), but a Pokemon from ORAS will register as "faraway place" in XY, while a Pokemon from XY will still display the correct, specific place of origin (Route 22, Vaniville Town, etc) if traded to ORAS. Even though a marker for "Hoenn" exists in the game data.

Now, I know why this happens from a practical standpoint. Older games can't recognise newer games as easily as newer games recognise the older games, so the older games default to using a placeholder. However, it would have been possible to rig the newer games to show up as "Johto" from the point of view of the older ones. I guess it's just lazy coding? It breaks the immersion for me a little, though.
It might not be "lazy" coding, per say, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was something about how it tracks location data in "future" games as opposed to "present" games that prevented from said game displaying the associated region. It's been too long, but I think that if a pair of games takes place in the same region, but has new locations, then sent to the earlier one after capturing one in a new place, it also says "distant land" instead of just "Unova" or "Alola" doesn't it?

Actually you know we have a bunch of source code for DP AND Pt...I feel hypothetically we could have an answer to this if someone was able to find the location code and determine the specifics of how it works.

QuentinQuonce

It might not be "lazy" coding, per say, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was something about how it tracks location data in "future" games as opposed to "present" games that prevented from said game displaying the associated region. It's been too long, but I think that if a pair of games takes place in the same region, but has new locations, then sent to the earlier one after capturing one in a new place, it also says "distant land" instead of just "Unova" or "Alola" doesn't it?

Actually you know we have a bunch of source code for DP AND Pt...I feel hypothetically we could have an answer to this if someone was able to find the location code and determine the specifics of how it works.
Faraway place instead of "distant land", but yeah. Gen III just displayed "met in a trade" which was basically the same thing.

Bulbapedia's pages about location data are pretty informative - basically each game has a number range of locations unique to itself (so 00-58 is Game 1, 58-93 is Game 2, 94-148 is Game 3, and so on). If a Pokemon is caught at a number not recognised by a particular game, it defaults to "faraway place". The last game(s) in a generation (Emerald, HGSS, B2W2, ORAS, USUM) will have all the numbers included in them so display all the locations properly.

So using HGSS as an example, in Gen IV "faraway place" is designated location 3002 and all unrecognised locations default to it. So if they could default it to that, why could they not default all locations within a certain range to say "Johto" instead? It's curious.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_locations_by_index_number

Faraway place instead of "distant land", but yeah. Gen III just displayed "met in a trade" which was basically the same thing.

Bulbapedia's pages about location data are pretty informative - basically each game has a number range of locations unique to itself (so 00-58 is Game 1, 58-93 is Game 2, 94-148 is Game 3, and so on). If a Pokemon is caught at a number not recognised by a particular game, it defaults to "faraway place". The last game(s) in a generation (Emerald, HGSS, B2W2, ORAS, USUM) will have all the numbers included in them so display all the locations properly.

So using HGSS as an example, in Gen IV "faraway place" is designated location 3002 and all unrecognised locations default to it. So if they could default it to that, why could they not default all locations within a certain range to say "Johto" instead? It's curious.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_locations_by_index_number
Looking at the actual index numbers, I can see why they wouldn't
So DP locations go from 0000 to 0111. Then they left a huge gap between that and the next one, 2000 (day care, a nice omnipresent location!) and everything after that is misc locations.
They knew they were going to do a third game and they seemed to already have HGSS at least kicking around as an idea, but they would'nt know exactly how many locations in either Platinum or HGSS they would add. Not to mention the possibility that they decide to reuse the listing for more gen 4 titles if they so chose (or anything else that crossed their mind).
I guess they could have put in some coding that when it looks at the location, it first checks to see if its in some very large designated range (maybe HGSS would be premarked as 1001-1999) THEN display Johto? Without actually seeing the code I assume that's something they could probably do (if nothing else, there's probably error handling for "If i dont recognize this, its Faraway Place"), but it might've also been seen as...not WASTEFUL, per say, but kind of a corner case not worth really doing that also probably adds more vectors for errors. I've been in development, stuff like that just kinda happens.
also worth noting if they REALLY wanted to go wholehog they'd have to have a separate mark off dedicated to Kanto checks, which is fun.

as an aside, I found some of these interesting:
  • 2000 to 2012 are all marked off for DP except 2011, which was null until Platinum filled it with Cynthia. Kind of sticks out a little; wonder if someone (maybe cynthia lol) was meant ot give you a pokemon at one poitn in development, then they removed it and the OT it belongs to.
  • They really tried their best future proofing these indexes! If its something they plan to have every year it goes all the way to 2016. Later series keep that up, gen 5 goes into 2020, gen 7 goes to 2021....
  • Space World also has listings for that in gen 4 despite Space World being totally retired since 2001. Bit optimistic there...
  • Poketransfer apparently scrubs data and just looks at where the pokemon was first generated and has a whole "location" dedicated to this, rather than just using the actual location data.
  • Gen 5 actually gave away pokemon that uses the separate "Hoenn" location (a groudon & kyogre)
  • 30009 is the only one in the block between 30001 & 30014 that's completely unused in BW1 (and also BW2)
  • Over in USUM, there's a duplicate listing for Johto. "the Johto region" is already present at 30004 but for some reason USUM added a second one at 30017. This duplication persists to Let's Go and SWSh, which is fun.
  • L:et's Go has an entirely separate index list. While most of the 30000+ locations are copied over from USUM, they did scrub out a lot of the pokemon centers and add new references up to 2023

QuentinQuonce

as an aside, I found some of these interesting:

[*]2000 to 2012 are all marked off for DP except 2011, which was null until Platinum filled it with Cynthia. Kind of sticks out a little; wonder if someone (maybe cynthia lol) was meant ot give you a pokemon at one poitn in development, then they removed it and the OT it belongs to.
The Gen IV list is a bit scrambled in general - the HGSS and Platinum numbers aren't one solid block like the other gens generally are. Mr Pokemon and Primo are grouped with Cynthia and Riley rather than at the end of the HGSS list, which jumps from 0234 to 2000.

[*]They really tried their best future proofing these indexes! If its something they plan to have every year it goes all the way to 2016. Later series keep that up, gen 5 goes into 2020, gen 7 goes to 2021....
Makes one wonder what the series would be like if Gen IV had actually lasted all the way until 2016...

[*]Gen 5 actually gave away pokemon that uses the separate "Hoenn" location (a groudon & kyogre)
And yet, because the games don't differentiate, they'll still show up as being from Unova in later games. *facepalm*

Kind of like how Pokewalker Pokemon still register as being from Johto (even if they were caught on the Hoenn or Sinnoh course) and the Birth Island/Navel Rock Pokemon say that they're from Hoenn if you catch them in Emerald (despite both locations being in Kanto).

[*]Over in USUM, there's a duplicate listing for Johto. "the Johto region" is already present at 30004 but for some reason USUM added a second one at 30017. This duplication persists to Let's Go and SWSh, which is fun.
Kanto and Hoenn are listed twice; I'm guessing the second Kanto is for the VC games and the second Hoenn is for RSE as opposed to ORAS. Perhaps they hadn't decided whether they were releasing GSC on the VC before USUM came out?

Also another oddity I noticed was that in Gen II the Battle Tower is located smack bang in the middle of the other locations despite being Crystal-only (029, after the Lighthouse and before Route 40). They must have known way in advance that something was going there (even if they probably weren't sure what exactly). It's funny how that's the only Crystal-exclusive location given that other upgraded versions typically have dozens of new areas.

The Gen IV list is a bit scrambled in general - the HGSS and Platinum numbers aren't one solid block like the other gens generally are. Mr Pokemon and Primo are grouped with Cynthia and Riley rather than at the end of the HGSS list, which jumps from 0234 to 2000.
Mr Pokemon & Primo makes sense when you look at it broadly. The reason Cynthia, Pokemon & Primo are all where there are is because that's the section allocated for "trainer" locations. It's why Riley is down there instead of listed with the other DP location and there's another big jump bvetween Primo and all the event stuff.

And yet, because the games don't differentiate, they'll still show up as being from Unova in later games. *facepalm*

Kind of like how Pokewalker Pokemon still register as being from Johto (even if they were caught on the Hoenn or Sinnoh course) and the Birth Island/Navel Rock Pokemon say that they're from Hoenn if you catch them in Emerald (despite both locations being in Kanto).
You can blame that on the generated flag. Transfers by Pal Park, Transporter & I assume Bank simplify things (perhaps out of necessity? Who knows) by basing off where the Pokemon was first generated. Pokewalker pokemon probably don't generate until you return from the walk, the Hoenn events were generated in a Unovan game before distribution, Emerald's Birth Island/Navel Rock only ever check with Hoenn (strictly speaking those 2 locations may not even be in Kanto OR Hoenn; like how the Shinjou Ruins are in an undisclosed location between johto & Sinnoh)

Kanto and Hoenn are listed twice; I'm guessing the second Kanto is for the VC games and the second Hoenn is for RSE as opposed to ORAS. Perhaps they hadn't decided whether they were releasing GSC on the VC before USUM came out?
Ah yeah that'd make some sense although...

There is a separate virtual console listing.

Also another oddity I noticed was that in Gen II the Battle Tower is located smack bang in the middle of the other locations despite being Crystal-only (029, after the Lighthouse and before Route 40). They must have known way in advance that something was going there (even if they probably weren't sure what exactly). It's funny how that's the only Crystal-exclusive location given that other upgraded versions typically have dozens of new areas.
to be fair to Crystal, it was only the second third version and Yellow only added a beach house to an existing location. It wouldn't be until Emerald where many new areas would get added

to be fair to Crystal, it was only the second third version and Yellow only added a beach house to an existing location. It wouldn't be until Emerald where many new areas would get added
Yellow wasn't even a third version, not only because the original released was Red/Green -> Blue -> Yellow, but even to Game Freak, apparently in-house they call them "Upper Versions", and Crystal is the first one in their eyes. It was less of an improvement(it had fewer available Pokemon than the other three Gen I games), and was mostly just an anime tie-in(It wasn't even called Yellow in Japan, it was just simply called Pocket Monsters Pikachu)

Food for thought in Pokemon Sword's entry for Kingdra:

"With the arrival of a storm at sea, this Pokémon will show itself on the surface. When a Kingdra and a Dragonite meet, a fierce battle ensues."

This theoretically means Dragonite was confirmed to come back since Isle of Armor released. (Note that Dragonite was not available when Kingdra was first made available)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
"With the arrival of a storm at sea, this Pokémon will show itself on the surface. When a Kingdra and a Dragonite meet, a fierce battle ensues."

This theoretically means Dragonite was confirmed to come back since Isle of Armor released. (Note that Dragonite was not available when Kingdra was first made available)
Not necessarily. All it says is that Kingdra and Dragonite battle out at sea, it doesn't specifically mention this happens near Galar. Just because the Pokemon isn't in the Galar dex means they're not allowed to mention them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)