Mysterious events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't live in a concrete world; things happen that aren't explained. I've experienced a few, and I am curious as to what others have experienced and consider to have gone unexplained. I know this is a bit random, but I have much interest in the Occult, aliens, etc.

Also, please only post things that have happened to YOU. No "my friend said he saw a UFO once." Stories twist as they travel from person to person. That's how tall tales are born, and this isn't about tall tales, it's about the unexplained. So what's yours?

We don't live in a concrete world
Yes we do.

things happen that cannot be explained
Just because they haven't been explained doesn't mean they cannot be explained.

I know this is a bit random, but I have much interest in the Occult, aliens, etc.
neat, can you share some of it with us to get us started?

So what's yours?
You show me yours and I'll show you mine. Then I'll explain both mine and yours, how's that?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes we do.
End of story.

Just because something hasn't been explained doesn't mean it's unexplainable, just that it hasn't been examined in-depth enough to be fully evaluated and understood. Nothing is impossible to explain, and if you consider how our understanding of the universe has evolved in the last couple hundred years, I'd wager that anything "scientifically unexplainable" right now will be easily understood at the end of this century. Assuming anything otherwise is folly, and brushing off scientific thinkers as "just another failure of a cynic" is ridiculous.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
What would even constitute an unexplainable event? Like suppose one night you were abducted by aliens and they performed various tests on you. In what sense would that be unexplainable? It would certainly be unusual, but I don't understand how it's unexplainable. On the other hand, if unexplainable means something much weaker like "I couldn't explain it as it was happening", unexplainable events aren't really that rare.

@SDS: Because there was so much evidence in that post implying that he/she was scientifically educated. Not just a half-ass troll.

@Cathy: I see your point. I guess I meant to say mysterious.

How is KB even trolling? And I don't know how you can TRY to be cynical, much less fail at it. You either buy something or you don't, you don't TRY not to buy it.

Anyway, I think the best title for this thread would be like... "Paranormal stuff" or something.

As far as mysterious events go, I've experienced a few but most of it turned out to be childhood fantasy and such.

But yeah I like paranormal stuff too.

You don't know how someone can fail at being cynical? I suggest you take a look at some of YouTube's finest scholars.

And here's a definition of trolling: "Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can." Hmmm.

@SDS: Because there was so much evidence in that post implying that he/she was scientifically educated. Not just a half-ass troll.

@Cathy: I see your point. I guess I meant to say mysterious.
I will clear up the mystery: I am scientifically educated and trained in the critical thought required for it.

Can you please show me where I was trolling? I thought my post was actually helping you to focus a bit and get the thread started.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How is KB even trolling? And I don't know how you can TRY to be cynical, much less fail at it. You either buy something or you don't, you don't TRY not to buy it.
I would go as far as to say cynic is more of an identity than a way people approach specific problems. The merits of which I've become quite cynical of.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Starbuck was trolling after the first response, and he's picked a pretty ripe place to do it.

I'm done bickering. If anything mysterious has ever happened to you that you want to share, feel free to post it here.

If you want to argue, pick a decent subject of debate and we'll see what we can do.

End of story.

Just because something hasn't been explained doesn't mean it's unexplainable, just that it hasn't been examined in-depth enough to be fully evaluated and understood. Nothing is impossible to explain, and if you consider how our understanding of the universe has evolved in the last couple hundred years, I'd wager that anything "scientifically unexplainable" right now will be easily understood at the end of this century. Assuming anything otherwise is folly, and brushing off scientific thinkers as "just another failure of a cynic" is ridiculous.
Although this is rather unrelated to the idea of the occult or UFOs, it is possible scientifically to have things that are unexplainable. For example, there are a number of mathematical statements that have been mathematically proven to be unknowable. Very few have any real world implications that anyone would care about aside from math people, but they do exist.

If you want to argue, pick a decent subject of debate and we'll see what we can do.
It's your thread, why don't you start us off?

Mathematical things that are unprovable kind of bother me. Speaking from a point of relative ignorance, aren't these constructs typically man-made rather than naturally observable?

It's your thread, why don't you start us off?

Mathematical things that are unprovable kind of bother me. Speaking from a point of relative ignorance, aren't these constructs typically man-made rather than naturally observable?
It depends on how you view it, after all, negative numbers don't exist in the real world, much less complex numbers. However, there are statements that have many more implications then ones like "This statement is false."

And I wouldn't be surprised if Starbuck was trolling after the first response, and he's picked a pretty ripe place to do it.
An explanation that doesn't involve trolling is that people that believe things like religion and UFOs sometimes have a poor understanding of science and see it as a belief system that says that their belief system is made up.

A Muslim girl I worked with asked me if I believed in science when I told her I didn't believe in god.

"i" (in the language of math) represents an imaginary number, an other way to state it would be that it is the square-root of -1. Negative numbers do not have a "real" square-root so "i" is assigned to represent it. e.g. SQRT(-81)=9i
The only scenario I thought this could be useful in is in a hypothetical formula for a derived equation on a hypothetical situation. (what happens when a perfect black-body reaches absolute zero) so vague....
They're like bozons and feminons, they are not proven to exist but are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)