National Dex General Information and Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to preface this post by saying that I enjoy this tier, I respect the tier leader and the difficulty anyone faces with running a tier, and that this post is meant to further discussion and get clarification on some things in a respectful way. It will not please everyone, but that’s really not my concern.

Under Smogon’s voting and tiering philosophy, the burden has always remained on the side of those seeking to change the status quo to muster the support to change it. There is a long history of requiring at least a 60% majority in order to create that change. The purpose of suspects in general is to gather a sample of qualified and informed voters in a metagame. From that sample, we allow those voters to determine whether the status quo should change, or not.

We also have rules regarding how you can vote. We have requirements for game limits, GXE, deadlines to submit your proof of reqs, rules on formatting the post of your vote, and deadlines for when your vote should be submitted. Whether we apply them strictly or loosely, these rules must be applied equally and uniformly to any suspect test, and to anyone who wishes to participate in them.

So, in light of the recent controversy with the Mega Metagross suspect voting process, we are now trying to determine how to count votes in a way that represents a 60% majority. The choice seems to be between requiring a percentage of votes relative to the total number of eligible voters, compared to requiring 60% among those who actually cast their vote. Honestly, I think only the former method is consistent with Smogon’s tiering philosophy, and the latter gets ridiculous when you apply it in practice. Again, the side seeking to change the status quo has the burden to get a 60% majority to create change. Reducing the size of the eligible voter sample because people did not cast a vote effectively lowers the requirement for (in this case) the pro-ban side, because you are mathematically making it much easier to get a 60% majority the more you reduce the number of participants. This is simple math, and it is why the latter standard is ridiculous in practice. If only 5 people voted, would we say that Metagross should get banned because 3 people voted to ban it? No, because you would not only be moving the goal posts by using a system like this, but you would also be creating a sample within a sample. We also don’t know why people don’t vote. Maybe they only wanted to make it harder to get to 60%, but didn’t want to abstain. I don’t know a single voting process that works this way in real life or anywhere else in the world, but this system does not make sense to me as a matter of logic or fairness.

However, this is not the only issue that needs to be addressed here, if we are talking about fairly applying rules and procedure. There were numerous irregularities with the Genesect suspect vote, which used the exact same method as here. The only difference was in the result, and people’s reaction to it. Look directly at the thread and you will see it, plain as day. “Voting will be open until Sunday, February 23rd @ 11:59:59 PM EST.” The word “until” means “not after this point in time”. Yet the final vote which pushed Genesect into a 60% ban majority was not cast until 5:28AM on February 24th, and the suspect was concluded around two hours after that time. The Metagross suspect was appropriately concluded 2 minutes after the deadline, and at that time, there was no 60% consensus. I would not complain about the rules being loosely enforced, if they weren’t strictly enforced prior to this. A user (who stated he was No Ban) posted his reqs 31 minutes after the reqs deadline ended. He was appropriately not allowed to participate in the vote, because the deadline had ended. Yet we allowed someone to cast the deciding ban vote way after the deadline. I don’t know a single voting system that would let you walk into the polling area a day after the vote and cast a vote after the deadline, and allow it to affect the ultimate outcome.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am posting this as someone who is confused at what is going on, and would like some explanation for this. I have no ill-will toward anyone, and while I did not think Genesect or Mega Metagross should have been banned, I am self-aware enough to recognize that these were controversial elements in the metagame, and they always have been. If these decisions were made out of a desire to protect the health of the metagame or the public perception of the tier as a whole then yes, I do understand that. That is why I kept my mouth shut after noticing this in February, and did not post this at that time. Sometimes you do not get what you want, that’s life. However, this is the second time that I feel the process has broken down due to dissatisfaction with the ultimate result produced by the system. I would rather not have been the person to post this, because this is did not feel good to write, but I think something needs to be addressed here.

edit: I put this in hide tags since it is getting addressed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Why are moves like Pursuit and Hidden Power allowed in National Dex? I heard that on cart the game tells you it's better to just forget the move and that it can't be relearned. This suggests that they probably won't be coming back.

Why are moves like Pursuit and Hidden Power allowed in National Dex? I heard that on cart the game tells you it's better to just forget the move and that it can't be relearned. This suggests that they probably won't be coming back.
National Dex isn’t Early Access SWSH OU. It’s more like extended USUM OU.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Because National Dex ignores the cart mechanics, meaning cut, moves, Pokemon, and mechanics from gen 7 are added along with new Pokemon, moves and mechanics from gen 8.

What's up guys? I've been playing BS Singles for like 4 months (peaked 1060 on the ladder so I'm not doing too hot) and now I just want to start learning natdex because I'm bored of BSS

https://pokepast.es/1c84ef7d616bd70b

I just lead mew and try and get up rocks and spikes and then get grimmsnarl in asap to setup screen(s) and then just go blacephelon/kommo-o for special attacks and gyrados/bisharp for physical damage? I know it's supposed to be a hyper offense team because I took it from the sample teams thread here. Sorry if this isn't the sort of question that is supposed to be asked here...

You’d be better off posting the team in the RMT forum. Just make sure you read the rules there.
I don't think that belongs in RMT, actually! I think they mean that they would like to know how the sample team works. It's not their own team - they're just asking how each Pokémon is meant to be used.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What's up guys? I've been playing BS Singles for like 4 months (peaked 1060 on the ladder so I'm not doing too hot) and now I just want to start learning natdex because I'm bored of BSS

https://pokepast.es/1c84ef7d616bd70b

I just lead mew and try and get up rocks and spikes and then get grimmsnarl in asap to setup screen(s) and then just go blacephelon/kommo-o for special attacks and gyrados/bisharp for physical damage? I know it's supposed to be a hyper offense team because I took it from the sample teams thread here. Sorry if this isn't the sort of question that is supposed to be asked here...
Hey there. I’m gonna rate your team because it only needs a slight few alterations that are up to your personal preference, but in the future I’d recommend posting in the NatDex room on PS! or the rmt channel on our discord (link in the rules/regulations thread). These places will generally get you a better answer than the SQSA thread. As for your question, you have the general idea down however I would play on the idea that every bit of damage is important. In some games, you may want to throw down your strongest sweeper against the opponent, but in others you may want to wear them down over time. Thank you for the interest in the tier!

Has there been any official discussion about how the interaction between Poltergeist and mega pokémon / z-crystal holding pokémon is gonna be implemented? Knock off treats these items as if they're not items, so would poltergeist do the same? That would really limit the viability of the move in natdex.

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
Has there been any official discussion about how the interaction between Poltergeist and mega pokémon / z-crystal holding pokémon is gonna be implemented? Knock off treats these items as if they're not items, so would poltergeist do the same? That would really limit the viability of the move in natdex.
Since it does not knock off the Items, it should count as a hit. Same with mega stones.

To elaborate on the above answer: Knock Off also doesn't work on form-changing items like the Griseous Orb on Giratina or Plates on Arceus in the same way that it fails on Mega Stones and Z-Crystals.
There's a case of this that exists in Sword and Shield: Silvally's Memories change its form, and they can't be removed by Knock Off. On the other hand, Poltergeist can be used successfully against a Silvally with Memories, so it's clear that it doesn't follow the same rule. C:

Hey so, I feel like this is a scrub question that has probably been dismissed long ago but why not unban crappy arceus forms?

I genuinely feel like Bugceus would be medeocre at best in Natdex or even Gen 7 OU. It just seems strange that silvally forms can change tier without making the entire mon rise or fall but Arceus forms all seem trapped in ubers?

Maybe some forms besides bug could be considered too but even mediocre ones like grass feel like they'd probably be too good.

Do you realize how good 120 in every stat is? Plus, even the worst Arceus formes (in terms of viability) have a ridiculously wide movepool and could probably run way too many sets/have too many opportunities to boost to actually be worthwhile. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.

Hey so, I feel like this is a scrub question that has probably been dismissed long ago but why not unban crappy arceus forms?

I genuinely feel like Bugceus would be medeocre at best in Natdex or even Gen 7 OU. It just seems strange that silvally forms can change tier without making the entire mon rise or fall but Arceus forms all seem trapped in ubers?

Maybe some forms besides bug could be considered too but even mediocre ones like grass feel like they'd probably be too good.
That would require a complex ban afaik due to arceus-bug tehcnically being arcues holding bug plate (or whatever its called)

Even the worst Arceus forms are too good.
Being crappy by Uber/AG Standards is a lot different from being ok for OU/National Dex OU, especially with how different the metas are.

Even if they aren't broken (which they most likely would be, considering their stats and coverage), NatDex is already in a state of major unbalance, and the last thing we need is for the metagame to become more unbalanced.

Sorry for the double post, but according to the usage stats and the NatDex OU teambuilder, Ash-Gren is allowed to be shiny and can use other HPs besides Ghost despite neither case being legal in cartridge.

That would require a complex ban afaik due to arceus-bug tehcnically being arcues holding bug plate (or whatever its called)
This is not the case seeing that Silvally is in PUBL, while some of its forms are in RU. So this would not be considered a complex ban.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is not the case seeing that Silvally is in PUBL, while some of its forms are in RU. So this would not be considered a complex ban.
Ye it's not necessarily a complex ban, its more of the fact that the Arceus formes would be ridiculously good both on the offensive and defensive spectrum. Even bad ones like Bug and Ice would be incredibly overbearing.

Ye it's not necessarily a complex ban, its more of the fact that the Arceus formes would be ridiculously good both on the offensive and defensive spectrum. Even bad ones like Bug and Ice would be incredibly overbearing.
I still think Bug would be underwhelming as hell.
It can't hold boots to remove its hazard weakness
Its best boosting option is calm mind
If it runs a boosting option+recovery it then has to deal with bad coverage
If it is runs CM+3 attacks it then doesn't have any recovery whatsoever and even then stuff like clef, Tran, pex, chansey, and others will STILL wall it forever depending on what coverage it runs.
120 base spatk (or Atk but that's even worse) with no insane setup or crazy high BP move (remember that judgment would be BUG) REALLY isn't anything special anymore, and the severe hazard weakness plus an inability to run boots cuts into the stats that go towards bulk.
Friendly reminder that the only good Arceus forms in their actual tiers are good defensive types, E-killer, and ground.
An Arceus form that is poor both offensively AND defensively will not be redeemed by its big stats.

Like, really, what redeeming factors does it have?
Because "big stats" really seem like it's about it, and even then mons like MMgross have WAY better stat distributions AND offensive coverage than Arceus-bug.

Worst case scenario it tries its best to be a knock off E-killer with a worse typing and no E-speed STAB.

Last edited:
If it is runs CM+3 attacks it then doesn't have any recovery whatsoever and even then stuff like clef, Tran, pex, chansey, and others will STILL wall it forever depending on what coverage it runs.
120 base spatk (or Atk but that's even worse) with no insane setup or crazy high BP move (remember that judgment would be BUG) REALLY isn't anything special anymore, and the severe hazard weakness plus an inability to run boots cuts into the stats that go towards bulk.
Friendly reminder that the only good Arceus forms in their actual tiers are good defensive types, E-killer, and ground.
An Arceus form that is poor both offensively AND defensively will not be redeemed by its big stats.

Because "big stats" really seem like it's about it, and even then mons like MMgross have WAY better stat distributions AND offensive coverage than Arceus-bug.

Worst case scenario it tries its best to be a knock off E-killer with a worse typing and no E-speed STAB.
While I do see your point, I think you're under estimating what Arceus Bug is capable of and I´m not sure if Arceus Bug would be healthy for the tier. Bug actually offers resistances to 2 of the most common attacking types in the tier Ground and Fighting so everyone would be using this thing. It walls a lot of things. Zeraora, Mega Lopunny, Excadrill, Conkeldurr to name a few. You say all it has is big stats but that´s really what makes Arceus so good. You also get a 100 BP Judgement with no drawbacks boosted further by the plate. It hits even resists for good damage. Trust me I've used Arceus and it can definitely afford to go mono attacker as after a few CM boosts combined with its natural bulk it can easily snowball and sweep entire teams with JUST judgement. If it can easily do that in Ubers, imagine in OU where the mons don't hit it as hard. Sure it does have a weakness to SR and hazards but this isn't gen 5 where your only option to get rid of them was Rapid Spin. Now we also have Defog and Court Change and more Magic Bounce users. And looking at the OU list it's insane just how many mons Arceus Bug can just stay in on. Literally only 7-9 Pokemon out of the whole tier it doesn't want to stay in on. It also gets Refresh so good luck ruining it's sweep later in the game when it starts Calm Minding up.

Absolutely not.
Having 120/120/120 Bulk is amazing, having offenses and speed to match is amazing, and having a Movepool like Arceus’s can help alleviate any weaknesses it could have.
Sure, Kyurem-B has been out of Ubers from Gen 5 to 7, and Slaking/Regigigas have been jokes in OU for a long time, they have more bad traits that overcompensated for their amazing Stats such as movepool (or in Slaking’s case the inability to use most of its moves effectively).

Arceus with a bad Mono type only has a bad mono typing, an inability to choose items (but in return also isn’t vulnerable to Knock Off or Trick), and an ability in play which only exists to allow Arceus to exist (that is you can’t use Arceus Bug with Sheer Force or Huge Power), being its only 3 weaknesses.

While I do see your point, I think you're under estimating what Arceus Bug is capable of and I´m not sure if Arceus Bug would be healthy for the tier. Bug actually offers resistances to 2 of the most common attacking types in the tier Ground and Fighting so everyone would be using this thing. It walls a lot of things. Zeraora, Mega Lopunny, Excadrill, Conkeldurr to name a few. You say all it has is big stats but that´s really what makes Arceus so good. You also get a 100 BP Judgement with no drawbacks boosted further by the plate. It hits even resists for good damage. Trust me I've used Arceus and it can definitely afford to go mono attacker as after a few CM boosts combined with its natural bulk it can easily snowball and sweep entire teams with JUST judgement. If it can easily do that in Ubers, imagine in OU where the mons don't hit it as hard. Sure it does have a weakness to SR and hazards but this isn't gen 5 where your only option to get rid of them was Rapid Spin. Now we also have Defog and Court Change and more Magic Bounce users. And looking at the OU list it's insane just how many mons Arceus Bug can just stay in on. Literally only 7-9 Pokemon out of the whole tier it doesn't want to stay in on. It also gets Refresh so good luck ruining it's sweep later in the game when it starts Calm Minding up.
OK so we are talking about a mono attacking CM set then?
Because looking at the mons on the viability rankings
-haze pex and Tran beat that 1v1 with ease.
-Torn taunts and laughs
-Darm revenge kills if it is not at 100%
-Cinderace is cinderace
-Lando can z fly or rock while tanking judgment
-scizor has a decent chance as it can tank +2 judgements but needs +4 to 2hko back
-Volcarona and the rare zard x use it as setup fodder

I could go on but that requires me to keep going lower on the rankings. Even so this is already a healthy list of checks and even some hard counters.
You gotta remember how bad an offensive typing bug is. That really effectively neuters this thing's damage output and makes it way easier to check.
If this thing had a single secondary STAB it would almost certainly be not even a cause for thought.
I could probably do this for other more diverse sets it can run too but I'm hoping I won't have to? I'm assuming that you already know that giving up one move to check a mon I listed will make it vulnerable to something else. Removing refresh for something to hit heatran or scizor then making it vulnerable to chansey, for example.
I really don't see what about this thing instills fear in you guys. The more I look at it the more ass it seems.
Like, when I made that first post I was thinking it might be something on the same tier as mmgross being dropped, but now I'm looking at it more like a deo-d tier drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)