Nickname discussion

UriGeller the Alakazam
Uri Geller = A magician who likes bending spoons [He also sued nintendo once because he thought Kadabra was some nazist "poké-ification" of him.]
I thought the Kadabra thing was really dumb, but Uri Geller is cool, so i named Alakazam that!

I'm not that good with nicknaming, but i think it's fun and thinking of something to name your pokémon is really nice!
Wow I actually really like that name. Honestly more fitting than the name I give mine. I always name my Alakazam Criss Angel or Houdini after those famous magicians.
Anyways, I have some more that I would like to share.

Lucario (♂) - Son Goku. This nickname is reference to a protagonist from Dragon Ball Z. Goku's English voice actor also plays Lucario coincidentally in newer titles such as Smash 4 so this became an even more fitting name to me.

Dragonite (♂) - Chow. A reference to an app called Summoner's War. There is a monster you can obtain called a Dragon Knight (Lol, word puns) which the water type of this is known by as Chow. Since you can obtain a Dratini by fishing it's only natural I would use the water type Dragon Knights name.

Vivillon (Icy Snow Pattern) - Flakes. Flakes has gained a significant amount of respect from me. He single-handedly swept one of my friends 6-0 once in a tourney. Major love for this Pokemon and the name comes from it's pattern type. Simple but yet beautiful.

Tentacruel (♂) - 9/11. Okay, extremely bad reference here but I simply think this name is fitting. The anime episode Tentacool & Tentacruel from the original series where, as you guessed, the Tentacruel's destroyed a city. This episode was temporarily banned following the events of September 11 which is where I pulled the name from. A great name for a Tentacruel IMO but I find a lot of people find this name rather offensive.

I may have mentioned this name, but a decent name for an Infernape could be Sabo or Lucy, depending on its gender. It's a reference to One Piece, for those who don't follow the manga. Luffy uses raw power instead of a fire element, so I thought his name would work better for an Ambipom, which seems to have stretchy tail-arms.

I'm trying to come up with a good nickname for my Pansear. She has Timid 31/2/31/31/31/31 stats, and is running Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power (Dragon), and Substitute. I would LOVE to name her "Crouching Monkey Hidden Dragon" but that is way too many letters.

She is 1 of 6 monkeys I will be transferring over to Sun to begin my playthrough when I pick it up in a few months. The rest of the team is LiquidMonkey the Panpour, which is like a play on Liquid Snake from MGS. Yasai Goku the Pansage, which is basically Japanese for Vegetable Monkey. Fire Butt the Chimchar, because he has fire on his butt. Handsy the Aipom, because she has hands on her butt. And Wukong the Mankey, which is chinese for Monkey, and is the name of the hero from Journey to the West.

I've been having a bit of fun with my nicknames in Moon.
My Popplio I called Shigure - feminine, water-themed guy with a thing for singing? Made sense to me.
For Grubbin I figured it was an electric bug so I should go with a Transformer for that since that's been my love for the past year. Bumblebee is overdone and would have physically pained me to use, so I went for Waspinator.
Male, Mild Cutiefly? Jaune. Even if he doesn't have a sword or shield I just found it too perfect.
Female Rockruff that will evolve into Midnight form? ... Ryuko. It was a bit too obvious with the colours and how EDGY midnight form looks. Heck, you could even argue something with the corrupted senketsu at the series' midpoint...

Oh, and I named a random Ledyba 'the god'.

My Popplio I called Shigure - feminine, water-themed guy with a thing for singing? Made sense to me.
Ayyyy! Fire Emblem nicknames! Though I think mine got way too obscure once I realized I don't like any of the male archers and decided to nickname them after the historical characters from one of the Japanese games.

I'm having difficulties with names this gen. I know French quite a bit more than I know any Hawaiian, (and I don't really know French) and I like to include a decent chunk of relevant names at the start of a gen. So I'm kinda hanging.

Anyway ingame stuff.

Called Rowlet Strix because FUCK I picked Rowlet and realised I hadn't already thought of a name and had to name it within 30 seconds of receiving it or else it wouldn't count. Strix is a cool sounding but cliche owl name. Tempted to name it Cowl, (like a hood), but it was a bit too on-the-nose, and drew unfortunate bovine parallels.

Minior got stuck with ISON because my brain farted and I couldn't think of any other meteors within 30 seconds. Which stinks because ISON is mostly known for being hyped up for months only to disintegrate as it passed the sun. Alas.

Wishiwashi was easypeasi. (That's not the name tho.) I called him Bob(s). Both a reference to the verb, and to Wishi's plurality. I like the idea that they're like a band. You know, Bob and the Bobs. Also I'd always felt Bob was a good name for a fish.

Caught a Magnemite and called it Southpole because my brain farted again and I could only think of Faraday, which I already use for my competitive Magnezone.

-------
Future stuff:

Nihilego; Madeline, for reasons I don't yet understand but I suspect it involves hats

A-Ninetales: No frigging clue, my regular one from gen V is called Fennex because I had no frigging clue then either

A-Marowak: *the magic 8 ball says: Ask Again Later* yep I am so bad at nicknames this gen :/

Porygon-Z: good opportunity to go software engineery on it. Spoilt for choice really. Do I use a language? A framework? A technology? Maybe an algorithm or design pattern? Too many options. Default is probably COBOL.

Tapu Bulu: it sucks that my first thought was "oh maybe I can call it Tauros". Aldebaran would be a straightforward and elegant kinda name though. I'll probably go with that.

I decided to rename my Tapus after the first four agents of CP9 introduced in One Piece: Kaku (Koko), Kalifa (Lele), Blueno (Bulu), and Lucci (Fini). The only one that really fit design-wise wwas Blueno, but I rolled with it. However, Tapu Koko seems like the closest to a nice guy of the tapus, and Kaku was the first to express any remorse after leaving Water 7 and dealing with Luffy and his pals.

If those wishlisted Sinnoh remakes come out or I get the time to breed some Chimchar in Alola, I'm naming many of the male individuals Sabo or Ace, while the females are Lucy.

I got blessed with a female Popplio... pretty easy to guess what I named her.
I also had:
- A Muk called Rainbow-G
- A Arcanine called Royal Canin
- A Raichu named Luxvan
- A Lycanroc named Rokninja123
- And finally, Firebane the Marowak.

I usually just nickname my pokemon after people I've met online and become friends with, which is the case for exactly 2/3 of the above pokemon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I got blessed with a female Popplio... pretty easy to guess what I named her.
imo Azura works better as a Tapu Fini nickname, as they look pretty similar. If I ever bother to catch one that's what I'm naming it.

Also, Sora the Kartana. Since both can somehow cut buildings in half.

I tend to make my nicknames either bad puns or semi-meaningful names, and I'm just going to put four of the more noteworthy ones here
Dedede the Empoleon because royal penguin
Galaxian the Vikavolt because it's a bug that looks like a spaceship
Mozilla the Delphox, which is self-explanatory
Deus X the Magearna because the draconian filter won't let me nickname it "Deus Ex"

So far these were my nicknames in Sun:

For the in-game team:

Owlowiscious the Decidueye because of Twilight Sparkle's pet owl.
Loquillo the Toucannon. I admit it doesn't fit for a toucan, but it does for Pikipek and Trumbeak - "Loquillo" being the name given to Woody Woodpecker in the latin american dub.
Lluvia the Pelipper, from Juvia of Fairy Tail, except without translation mistakes. Also referring to Drizzle :P
Libby the Pom-Pom Oricorio, from the Sabrina the Teenage Witch character that was also a cheerleader. And she has a Naughty nature so it fits.
Maya Fey the Marowak, due to being a female with some relation to spirits.
Femme Fatale the Salazzle. This requires no explanation, except from the fact she was far from "fatale". And the fact I actually took it from a Powerpuff Girls one-time villain.
Spike the Kommo-o. A dragon with spikes, and that goes along well with the Decidueye.

For my first batch of competitive Pokemon:

Tizona the Aegislash. Tizona was one of the two swords alledgedly used by El Cid Campeador, and it's a feminine word. This Aegislash happens to be a female...
SPAMMER the Cloyster. Well, it's what it does with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast.
Luis Suárez the Garchomp. Both are males, both with a tendency to bite. The other option was "Chomper", the T-Rex from The Land Before Time, but Suárez won.
Medialuna the (Mega) Salamence, referring to the joke that Mega Salamence's wing looks like a croissant ("medialuna" is one of the names we spanish-speakers use for croissant).
The least fitting of all: Beerus the Gyarados. Both with a knack of destruction. That's it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The next time (if ever) I catch a female Salandit, I'm going to call it Lisbeth. You have to have read a very specific book (or seen the movies) to get the reference, but it fits perfectly if you do.

Be honest, who here has the heart not to name their first Lunaala/Solgaleo Nebby or Hoshigumo-chan?
Because I don't. I was about to name my Lunaala Lunaria or Lunelucia, but then I remember Lillie and the sad moment after one catches Nebby... I ended up with Nebby Luna.

Anyway, I am planning to one day get a female Ashirene/Primarina on appropriate ball legitimately, named Syrenea or something around that....
Named my current male Primarina Aquarius, maybe after the constellation and rather common.
But then those who plays XY Battle Maison in English may recall Hex Maniac Celia who says this when defeated, making it somewhat hilarious:
"Is this the dawning of the age of Aquarius?" @_@

I also plan to get a good surfing female Raichuu and name her Raiya... I don't know why either.

Type: Null has a lot of nickname potential. There's "Null Pointer" and "NullPtrExptn", but the one I decided to go with for mine was "/dev/null". Not only is it a nerdy computer reference and a play on its name, but it also references its lore. When Type: Null was created, it rejected the RKS System (making Silvally's very existence a mystery), so the scientists working on it gave it the mask and sealed it away in a cryogenic safe to be forgotten about forever. That is, they believed they were redirecting it to /dev/null.

This also created a humorous moment when the game asked "Where do you want to send /dev/null to?". Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it normally the other way around? :P

Type: Null has a lot of nickname potential. There's "Null Pointer" and "NullPtrExptn", but the one I decided to go with for mine was "/dev/null". Not only is it a nerdy computer reference and a play on its name, but it also references its lore. When Type: Null was created, it rejected the RKS System (making Silvally's very existence a mystery), so the scientists working on it gave it the mask and sealed it away in a cryogenic safe to be forgotten about forever. That is, they believed they were redirecting it to /dev/null.
I called mine "return NULL;"

I frankly forgot about /dev/null. It does sound better.

I find it fun to create a team name with the Pokemon team that you beat the elite 4 with. For example if you take Twitch Plays Pokemon Red's final team(see here http://twitchplayspokemon.org/red/) I would name the team "Our Saviors" as each Pokemon is a savior in it's own way. I think many creative names can be created and that these names will help you form a stronger bond with your awesome team (lol that was cheesy)

I hope you enjoy!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find it fun to create a team name with the Pokemon team that you beat the elite 4 with. For example if you take Twitch Plays Pokemon Red's final team(see here http://twitchplayspokemon.org/red/) I would name the team "Our Saviors" as each Pokemon is a savior in it's own way. I think many creative names can be created and that these names will help you form a stronger bond with your awesome team (lol that was cheesy)
Uhh... I think this thread would go under our "No PC++ threads" rule, see the OI rules. However, if you absolutely want to discuss team nicknames, I think the discussion could be passably on-topic in the Nickname Discussion thread (merged).

I was thinking of stupid nicknames when one suddenly came to me.

So, I'm from Philadelphia and as I am from a place that exists we have our own accent. One of the biggest points of contention is how we pronounce water. We instead pronounce it more like "wooder". So, in tongue-and-cheek reference, I'm nicknaming a Ludicolo (the only fully evolved Water/Grass Pokemon) "Wooder Pkmn".

upload_2016-12-24_10-44-35.png

I always name my Ludicolo's Cuban Pete. They da king of da rumba beat.

And they play dere maracas and go chick chicky boom, chick chicky boom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)