Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The DSi XL did really well in sales and reviews. The larger size appeals to people with larger hands who feel uncomfortable after periods of time on a smaller device. 3DS games will also look better on this device because of the bigger screen.

I don't see why they should stop if their products are doing well. This device will appeal to the people that do not already own a 3DS and want to buy one. Many people held off at the start due to the lack of games, and this gives them a reason to buy them.

If anything you should be happy this is being released. The more units sold could mean more titles from developers. Just look at the vita. It's selling horribly and doesn't have a good line of exclusive games. The majority of them are console ports.
Let's see... Should I be happy this is being released... Hmm... I'm gonna go with "no" on that one. I do not understand the point of making a system "bigger" for the sake of making it more comfortable for people with big hands because my hands aren't small by any definition of the word, but I still find a smaller game system more comfortable. I know people with bigger hands than mine who don't particularly agree with this whole "XL" nonsense either, and with that whole improved battery life deal, how will that work out with the system being less portable? It's not like carrying around a messenger bag or something every damn place you go is exactly the smartest idea (unless you bring your laptop everywhere), so the only other option is putting it in your pocket. When I put my 3DS in my pocket, it literally takes up the entire space of the pocket, so there's no way in hell the 3DS XL is fitting in that same pocket.

Also, about the Vita... There are two things killing it. One is the fact that it's just not good, especially compared to the PSP (which wasn't great either but it was ok). The other is the fact that it's kind of competing with Nintendo here. It just can't be compared to the 3DS at all. The 3DS is already dominating the market compared to the PS Vita, so an XL version most likely won't affect sales significantly. In fact, I'm pretty sure more people will continue to buy the regular 3DS because it's cheaper. That ends my opinion on this matter, I'm not changing my opinion on the 3DS XL.

On to games I'm looking forward to for the 3DS, at the moment I'm only looking forward to the Fire Emblem game, the new Smash Bros., and the new Super Mario Bros. games. I respect Animal Crossing and all, but I'm not a big fan of the series. As for the Kingdom Hearts game, I simply do not like Kingdom Hearts at all.

EDIT: Also, the PS Vita has been on the market for much less time than the 3DS has, so there's been less time for games to be released on it anyway.

You guys are making no sense. If you are complaining about it the simply don't buy it. This is not a new product, this is a revision. There is a reason it doesn't have 2 thumb sticks. If it did it would literally force any current 3DS owner to upgrade. This is for people that do not own one. If they want portability they will buy the original. If they want the most recent model they will buy this.

Nintendo has recently stated they are not focusing on releasing a new 3DS and are happy with it's current state. I do not consider this to contradict their statement, because it's not an entirely new system. This "upgrade" is the DSi to the DSi XL not the DS to the DS Lite.

This video states it perfectly.

You guys are making no sense. If you are complaining about it the simply don't buy it. This is not a new product, this is a revision. There is a reason it doesn't have 2 thumb sticks. If it did it would literally force any current 3DS owner to upgrade. This is for people that do not own one. If they want portability they will buy the original. If they want the most recent model they will buy this.

Nintendo has recently stated they are not focusing on releasing a new 3DS and are happy with it's current state. I do not consider this to contradict their statement, because it's not an entirely new system. This "upgrade" is the DSi to the DSi XL not the DS to the DS Lite.

This video states it perfectly.
I think you didn't catch the point.

Without the second thumb stick, you simply CAN'T play a game that requires it, 'cause you simply can't fit a XL in the Circle Pad Pro.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you didn't catch the point.

Without the second thumb stick, you simply CAN'T play a game that requires it, 'cause you simply can't fit a XL in the Circle Pad Pro.
There are no games, and never will be any games, that require the second control stick. It's just an addition that can make certain games easier to play for the majority of people (think Resident Evil, Monster Hunter). However, I have Resident Evil Revelations and it plays fine without the second control stick. They will probably release a version of it for the 3DS XL (even though it'l be huge) but any game that uses it has access to a control method that doesn't use it.

Think Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS - you use the Touch Screen to control your camera. You can just use that instead, or use a quick change camera function with a shoulder button. The circle pad pro attachment is purely for people who are more traditional and want it to play like a standard controller.

First Impressions of the 3DS XL Not sure how reliable the author is but oh well

Apparently the viewing angle is better? Thats comforting, that and the build quality is better.

Still this is clearly a need-to-see-it-in-person-before-I-make-a-purchase system

Stop complaining, just dont buy the product if you dont like it, simple as that. So what if they make a larger model, it isnt affecting you UNLESS you buy it, therefore you have no reason to complain UNLESS you buy it.

I must say it looks a heck of a lot better in real life (non-staged). Those official photos were really quite miserable.

It is much sleeker looking than the photos led me to believe.

In fact, the screen is much thinner than I expected, and I appreciate the "matte" finish over the metallic gloss they have now on my crazy turqoise one.

According to the source, there is some sort of anti-alias filter that makes things look just as good on the blown up screen, if not better.

I appreciate the enhanced viewing angles and longer battery life as well. I was quite both annoyed and apathetic about the 3DS XL when it was first announced, but seeing it now I've had a change of heart.

Looks like I'll have to arrange some sort of trade-in when the time comes...

I think it's absolutely asinine that Nintendo is coming out with another version of the existing 3DS. They want it to succeed, so they come out with something that is conceptually the same thing?

They really need to focus on getting the 3DS airborne instead of putting their hopes on idiotic "updates" such as these.

One other complaint. Why the hell do DS games look so awful on the 3DS? The coloration is all whacked up, in the sense that the colors are very dull and mixed in with a lot of muddy grays. Why is this so? I find it very irresponsible on Nintendo's behalf.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think it's absolutely asinine that Nintendo is coming out with another version of the existing 3DS. They want it to succeed, so they come out with something that is conceptually the same thing?

They really need to focus on getting the 3DS airborne instead of putting their hopes on idiotic "updates" such as these.
The 3DS is already a success though, so they're not "putting hopes on idiotic updates." Have you not seen the games it's getting ? KH3D, Luigi's Mansion, SSB4, Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil etc.

And believe it or not the new 3DS XL will probably be a success as well, the improvements on it are pretty huge, not to mention the price ($199) and the extended battery life. It's just that it doesn't fucking have a second circle pad.

One other complaint. Why the hell do DS games look so awful on the 3DS? The coloration is all whacked up, in the sense that the colors are very dull and mixed in with a lot of muddy grays. Why is this so? I find it very irresponsible on Nintendo's behalf.
The 3DS screens have higher resolution than the DS screens, thus the muddy looking graphics. I haven't try this, but if you hold Start+Select when loading a DS games it will reduce the image size so it doesn't look "muddy" (but you will get big black bars).

I don't think it's irresponsible from Nintendo, it's part of technology upgrades.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/playing-ds-on-a-3ds-is-less-than-ideal/

Only a select few games actually utilize the second circle pad. The 3DS XL is intended to be just that, a bigger 3DS. If they released it with a second circle pad, it would be screwing over even more original 3DS adopters with such an upgrade. It might also drive up the cost just a smidge.

In addition, I like how the commonly used A, B, X, Y buttons are at that position on the XL. I noticed the D-pad is hard to use on the 3DS because it's so low on the device. Throwing in a second circle pad on the right would push down the A, B, X, Y buttons, and that would be less convenient.

Granted, these points are all rather minor. The only thing to do is wait for a new peripheral, or just stick to your old 3DS.

Its cool, Nyko will come out with a badass 3DSXL circle pad pro attachment like they did with the 3DS

... hopefully without the bottom "grip" portion.

Stop complaining, just dont buy the product if you dont like it, simple as that. So what if they make a larger model, it isnt affecting you UNLESS you buy it, therefore you have no reason to complain UNLESS you buy it.
There's a difference between complaining and commenting critically on a product's release. I think most of us here are 3DS owners in the first place; I don't see much animosity here, just pronounced opinions. I also don't believe anyone said the release negatively affects them, which might constitute complaining.

I've expressed that I don't like the increased size personally because my hands are not that large (though I carry my 3DS in a handbag, not a pocket, so the pocket size issue is not a problem for me), but the candids posted above suggest it might not be as extreme as it looks and sounds, so I'll reserve further judgment until I'm able to get my hands on a demo. I'm not predicting my 3DS to break any time soon anyway. I would totally get a pink one instead of a 3DS XL. Mine is blue because I'm an early adopter ;_;!

The 3DS is already a success though, so they're not "putting hopes on idiotic updates." Have you not seen the games it's getting ? KH3D, Luigi's Mansion, SSB4, Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil etc.
Well, it's not as successful as Nintendo wants it to be. If it was truly off the ground, you would see BW 2 for the 3DS, or at least for the DS and 3DS.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Well, it's not as successful as Nintendo wants it to be. If it was truly off the ground, you would see BW 2 for the 3DS, or at least for the DS and 3DS.
I think the reason they held off on making BW2 for the 3DS is because they already had BW2 in the works for the original DS system. Making it for the 3DS would mean reworking the whole game so that it would look "nice" on the 3DS, which I'm sure Game Freak didn't want to do, since fans want a new Pokemon game, and making a scrapping one for a new system isn't profitable. More people own 3DS's than DS systems, so it targets a larger demographic within the crowd of gamers as opposed to going with the smaller crowd of 3DS owners. Don't get me wrong, though, I wish Game Freak would've made their next game for the 3DS instead, but alas, it wouldn't have been logical on their part.

I'm fairly sure we'll see more Pokemon games on the 3DS in the near future, though.

Still doesn't change the fact they had more than enough room to, you know, put it on there rather than making everyone pay more for an accessory...
Already been addressed in an above post. A second circle pad will always be optional in titles because not all 3DS owners will have access to it, so it would be arbitrary to have one built-in. "Here's this thing you can only use in certain games, enjoy!" It's not worth offsetting the face ABXY buttons just for that.

breh

強いだね
Already been addressed in an above post. A second circle pad will always be optional in titles because not all 3DS owners will have access to it, so it would be arbitrary to have one built-in. "Here's this thing you can only use in certain games, enjoy!" It's not worth offsetting the face ABXY buttons just for that.
If you make a fundamentally flawed design, do you choose to fix its flaws with minimal effort or ignore them and pass the cost (and frustration) down to consumers? It doesn't matter that there aren't many games to use it; if the 3DS XL were to gain enough popularity, developers would be more eager to use the second C-pad - after all, now, it's not some clunky accessory that nobody bought but something that at least a few people are guaranteed to own.

Agreeing, though, that the 3DS XL does look rather clean.

I think you're forgetting that titles like Red Steel 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong 64, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, etc. exist. Nintendo has absolutely no problem publishing or allowing accessory-required games on their consoles/handhelds.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've had a black 3DS since September, and it hasn't seen too much action (admittedly, I've been super busy with work, life, and first world problems). Nevertheless, I'm underwhelmed by:

1) It aesthetically... it doesn't compare with the DS Lite's smooth edges.
2) The battery life.
3) Its bulkiness/weight, plus it feels clumsy.
4) The 3D effects... it just hurts my eyes and I haven't used it since day 1.

I'm not convinced that the upgrade will resolve the above. I can't see myself buying it.

Also, I didn't find MK7 engaging enough to complete... and Monkey Ball seemed like a good idea on a hand held, but I was bored after a couple of hours. OoT and Pokemon have seen the most mileage.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Holy jesus, Tales of the Abyss is so good. I got it around 10 days ago, and I've already put in 25 hours. I am loving everything about this game! The main character starts out as kind of a Tidus (you know what I'm talking about). All the characters, actually, are pretty generic at the start. After the super awesome secret plot twist, though, everyone starts to come into themselves. They all feel real, and you really begin to care about them.

Graphics are pretty good; not RE: Revelations good, but some of the locales look just fucking GORGEOUS (Baticul I'm looking at you). Also, after a good bit in the game more and more anime cut-scenes (since there is an anime based on the game) come into play and they just look great.

The battle system is VERY fun. It's almost like a 2D fighting game. You map spells to your stick + the spell button, as well as spells from other party members (for example, I have a healing spell from the healer of the party mapped to the touch screen. I tap it, she heals. Or a strong attack spell. Whatever.). Combat is very fast paced, very fun, very smooth. It flows really well. Boss fights are great, too. Extremely intense.

This game is great, coming from someone who has never liked a JRPG before. I know it's a little hard to find, but it is definitely worth it and the BEST RPG on the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)