Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
the issue is that finding a room without maka wuhuers is an effort in itself. you're usually going to find at least one guy that wants to do the glitch, at which point everybody joins in and does it collectively (I've had 4 people do this godforsaken glitch in the same race once) because none of them is willing to sacrifice a bit of rating.

you can't really block the shortcut; there's a very wide "path" to do it. it's not a precision thing in the least.

on an unrelated note, I'd like to ask a question: do others feel that the game is, largely, fairly well balanced? sure, blue shells are still game losers, but I find that they're less common; on the whole, I feel like each item is not a terrible "oh god why did I get this item at all"; even teh tanooki leaf is not wholly useless in first. and the blue shell actually does something for whoever gets it. bob-ombs, I feel, got the greatest boost out of all of the items; on the other hand, the bullet bill and starman, of all things, got hugely gimped. Is it wrong that I feel slow in the bullet bill?

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I guess blocking the shortcut is a bit optomistic, though I think just sitting around the entrance of the shortcut would be enough to put some of the crappier players off, causing them to stuff it up. Pro players probably wouldn't be fazed though, and there's nothing stopping someone who stuffed it up from just trying again.

But yeah for me it's all about not giving a shit about the ranking and just having fun. However, I know some people seem to think that their whole life depends on VR so I guess it is an issue. I don't know, I just haven't been unlucky with rooms yet (I've only had like 1 race with lots of cheaters in it), though no doubt I'll have to put up with it eventually.

I agree that the game is more balanced in the sense that there isn't some broken vehicle that easily beats all the others (bowser bike/mach bike) and the 'last place' items aren't as good (the bullet bill gains like 2 positions when I get it and the star's speed boost isn't as good as it was in the Wii version), though races can turn into clusterfucks really quickly. I especially hate those evil Fire Flowers (seriously how are you supposed to avoid the fireballs when lots of people are using them at once?).

And the Blooper still sucks and I wish that the developers would just get rid of it.

Yeah, out of all the items, Blooper is the worst. It's really the only item that's usefulness is overly dependent on when in the race you get it; if you get on the final lap, you're fucked.

Aside from that, the items have been the best in the series, in my opinion. For the most part, I can get an item and not be done over by it. That said, however, it can pretty damning relative to what the people around you get. If you get a mushroom and the person behind you gets triple mushroom, expect to fall a place. The kart customization is great, too. Although there usually is some complacency online (B-Dasher and Red Monster wheels mostly) I've seen a lot of different combinations.

As for Maku Wahu, I usually just DC before the race starts. I don't penalized, so no one loses in the end. From my experience, however, it's usually the Maku Wahuers who are terrible at every other course, like 6th to 8th. And usually they'll just quit if it isn't chosen. I'm not sure how that is fun for them, but whatever.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I think the game is more fairly balanced this time. But there are still been times where I get absolutely dicked at the end. I've been Blue Shelled at least four times in one race and always tend to get Red Shelled before I can collect another box (after Lightning for example). I like that (as far as I can remember) only the Lightning removes your item if you have a box now. So if you had say, a Red Shell up above, with your Green Shell / Banana behind you and got Blue Shelled, you'd still have your Red Shell to have a chance at pulling things back near the end. The bad luck is more present offline though, I find. The worst thing is the start of courses like Rainbow Road. I never just fall off courses myself, but even when playing as a heavier character (Metal Mario most often) I still get bumped around at the beginning too easily for my liking. So I have to play it safe, take the outside corners first, and hope to God that none of the people holding Green Shells / Banana's on those first jumps let them go right in front of me. As soon as that happens it is so difficult to pull back.

If I'm honest, a lot of the tracks don't have the same feel as older ones - but certain ones are fantastic and I like most of the changes. I do wish there were more characters and I didn't really fall in love with many that I unlocked (I like Metal Mario a lot, as well as Shy Guy and Lakitu). But I miss Funky Kong.

As for items, I think this could be the best selection we've had in a Mario Kart game. While I understand the complaints for the Tanooki, it's still an okay item and does what you'd expect / want it to do. I don't like getting it in 1st / 2nd and I usually just end up using it to get rid of it as well. But in 1st I may try to start holding onto it to block a shell. The Fire Flower was also a good addition and I'm amazed I didn't think of it not being in the game before now. The Tanooki should be more like this in that, you have a limited amount of 'uses'. If we were limited to say, 5-10 swings of the tail or the current 10+ seconds (whichever came first) then I think that'd be better. Although, if we could just have another item in reserve at the same time then that'd be even better. Neither of these two are game changers, but I feel they add to the game enough to stay.

I'm glad the Lightning Cloud is gone, that was the worst item ever. And while I liked the POW Block, items that hit everyone in abundance are a good removal in anyone's book I'm sure. We already have Lightning and Blooper for that. Starman and Bullet Bill have definitely been nerfed a bit, sometimes I have a Star and I still just can't catch up to people - the speed increase is so minute that it doesn't make much difference, only if you can get near enough to someone to hit them.

Mario Kart Wii was my favourite Mario Kart and may still be, but this at least rivals it. Very good game.

Lastly, would anyone be interested in having a Mario Kart 7 tournament on Smogon if we can get enough people?

I was thinking we'd have to do races in a Smogon community, and probably put people in groups of 4-8 to try and race at a certain time if everyone can make it. With the top X making it through to the next round. Depending on how many we have it can go on for longer, but I think it'd be fun.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://andriasang.com/comzj9/mgs_3ds_bundle/
Who wants another themed 3DS to go with their Zelda one?
Haha, awesome. That reminds me of a promotion in Europe (and possibly elsewhere). It may have been posted in this thread before, but just in case it wasn't or people missed it, here it is:

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.co...en_GB&bcC=HT&bnC=NOE_promotion_3DSreward_home

Basically, if you register the Nintendo Club Points from two games from: Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil: Revelations, Pilotwings: Resort, Super Pokémon Rumble, Tetris 3D, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Super Street Fighter 3D, Nintendogs + Cats, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and Steel Diver, you get a download code.

The download code enables you to get a 3D edition of the original Kid Icarus for free. You just have to link your 3DS to your Club Account (which you can do on the eShop) and register the codes from at least two of those games to get it e-mailed to you. The promotion lasts until the 31st of January, so after Resident Evil: Revelations is released obviously.

However, there's more (and this was the bit I was getting to). They're giving away three limited edition 3DS consoles - only 1000 of each one. One is Mario themed, one is Peach themed, and one is Toad themed. Every time you register two of those games above, you can vote for your favourite 3DS from those three and are entered into a prize draw to win one. You can have up to five entries if you for some reason bought all 10 of those games, but you can only vote for the console you originally voted for. It's just like having five (or most likely less) entries to a raffle instead of one.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Just curious, I'm no competitive Mario Kart player, but if there is such an enormous shortcut for the Maka Wuhu track, everyone is using it, and Nintendo hasn't done anything about it, why aren't you using it?

I'm glad the 3DS is coming good now. I didn't really plan on getting it but ended up with a free one (from VGC), made all the sweeter by the free games from the Ambassador program.

Suggestions would, like everyone else, include Zelda: OoT and Mario Kart 7. I haven't completed OoT (managed to lose it somewhere lol, should probably find that), but I had played it quite a bit and it was the first Zelda game that I really "got on" with, as personally I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. MK7 is just solid, there are a few disappointments (no Vs. mode in single player), but it's easily worth £30 or whatever. Despite hating football culture and not following football in general, I do enjoy the games. PES 2011 3DS is a really, really sweet game - it's very easy to spend a few hours at a time just playing to improve your team and their position in tournaments/leagues, and the time you play really accumulates. If you're not fanatic about constantly having the new versions, then I'd suggest this as you can get it cheap with the inevitable PES 2012. The difficulty levels in PES 2011 are really cool too, with five options with quite big jumps, so you always have a challenge. I also have F1 2011, but only because I am mega into F1... if you aren't, don't bother. Personally, I find it far too easy and in general it's "okay" but not great, especially when it has been released at a time when the 3DS is starting to get some awesome games.

I don't really have any suggestions with the eShop or anything because I prefer to spend my money on "older" DS games which have gotten cheaper with the 3DS release. Some games are real hidden gems... For example, Final Fantasy III DS has the best single player out of any game on the DS imo. It has WiFi but it's pretty pointless, but if you want a long game that will last and has ace gameplay, get this. You can pick it up real cheap nowadays too.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
twash said:
I don't really have any suggestions with the eShop or anything because I prefer to spend my money on "older" DS games which have gotten cheaper with the 3DS release. Some games are real hidden gems...
This. For the meanwhile at least, if you're looking for good games to play on your 3DS, then this thread is probably more likely to meet your needs.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3458554

Just picked up AW: Days of Ruin and Mega Man Zero Collection for 20 quid!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been trying to find more Smogon users to play MK7 with. I have my 3DS FC as my location but if anyone wants to add me and play sometime, just leave yours on my wall.

I'm super happy with MK7. I never played MKWii much but this is definitely my favorite MK of the ones I have played. I've finished triple starring 50cc/100cc so now I'm going to start working my way through 150cc and Mirror again. I've been using Lakitu/Cloud9/Giant Red/Peach Parasol but I just unlocked Soda Jet at 1200 coins, so I might change that up.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lastly, would anyone be interested in having a Mario Kart 7 tournament on Smogon if we can get enough people?
Someone could probably set up something like this in Circus Maximus (I'd be glad to do it). I really like the idea.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hahahaha, I wouldn't worry about that. For perspective, Ness and Pikachu were amazing in SSB64 (and promptly became terrible and "okay" in Melee, respectively). Fox, Sheik and Jigglypuff were top in Melee, and Captain Falcon was one of the better characters too. Unless they phone things in big time, there will big enough changes in movesets and the game engine that balance will be considerably different.

That being said, Meta Knight seems like one of "those characters" that just always has the tools to be threatening on a fundamental level. Seems difficult to imagine him not being a good character, especially if they end up turning the knockback and gravity dials closer to where Melee was.
Haha this may sound ridiculous but Ness was pretty bad in Smash 64. Towardsd the end of the metagame's lifespan, he dropped like a rock. Which makes me a pretty jaded Ness fan considering he's been bad in all 3 smash games.

I have no faith in Nintendo when it comes to competitive games, they really don't care at all. Which is a shame really, Brawl could have been one of the very best games of all time if it wasn't so balanced poorly.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Just curious, I'm no competitive Mario Kart player, but if there is such an enormous shortcut for the Maka Wuhu track, everyone is using it, and Nintendo hasn't done anything about it, why aren't you using it?
Because I'd rather play the course as it was designed to be played rather than do some boring glitch. Which is exactly what I do when the course gets picked. Even if I lose points it hardly matters seeing as loses are usually a lot smaller than they were in MKW.

Also if someone wants to start a tornament I'd be in for that. Maybe just start a thread for it or something.

I was thinking we'd have to do races in a Smogon community, and probably put people in groups of 4-8 to try and race at a certain time if everyone can make it. With the top X making it through to the next round. Depending on how many we have it can go on for longer, but I think it'd be fun.
I don't do much besides lurk, but I'd be all over this if somebody would organize it. :D 3437-3050-2180 For anyone that wants to play in the meantime.

For all you other Mario Karters, does it feel like MK7 is faster or slower (or around the same speed) as MKWii? I really can't tell if races are faster or if it's just because this is a new game.

Haha this may sound ridiculous but Ness was pretty bad in Smash 64. Towardsd the end of the metagame's lifespan, he dropped like a rock. Which makes me a pretty jaded Ness fan considering he's been bad in all 3 smash games.

http://i.imgur.com/5y2Xo.png

I have no faith in Nintendo when it comes to competitive games, they really don't care at all. Which is a shame really, Brawl could have been one of the very best games of all time if it wasn't so balanced poorly.
Oh wow I didn't know that about Ness; I kind of like... wondered about his seeming lack of relevance compared to characters like Fox though. Interesting that the game evolved so much, though the last time I paid attention to 64's balance was like... I don't know, 2008 maybe.

And yeah Nintendo doesn't care about competitive stuff, that much seems pretty clear. They're not terrible at balancing at lower levels of play though, I guess? I'm just hoping for another "accidentally awesome" game like Melee. Shrug.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't say completely by accident for Melee. Sakurai did do some of that stuff intentionally. And Pokemon is pretty well supported by Nintendo and The Pokemon Company.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@ Kristoph, I cried for many nights and many days.

...So how are you guys liking your ambassador games? They are just so many good ones, I don't know where to start. I played Yoshi's Island and Mario vs Donkey Kong, but my god there are just so many good games @_@

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
-receive mk7
-open it, v excited
-try my first grand prix
-hit with at least 3 blue shells in all 4 stages
-fuck this game

edit - in 3rd place, get hit with a blue shell anyway as it goes on the track now. i quit

Would like to see people's most-played games.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 6:12
2. Pullblox - 2:38

I got it on Christmas so obviously I haven't had much time to play.

Balance wasn't really the issue with brawl, and balance isn't really an issue with most fighting games. The problem was the community behind it and the fact that the game itself isn't really competitively viable.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Balance wasn't really the issue with brawl, and balance isn't really an issue with most fighting games. The problem was the community behind it and the fact that the game itself isn't really competitively viable.
I literally cannot think of any other fighter that's as poorly balanced as Brawl, especially not one with as much funding as it got.

Meta Knight's worst matchup is himself at the top. Ganon's best matchup is himself at the bottom. It's like comparing Mewtwo to Magikarp. The community did all they could to get the game to work out, but fuck Brawl was just so poorly balanced and made with such stupid mechanics (TRIPPING, NO HITSTUN).

This is why people have been leaving Brawl for Melee in the scene. At least the balance there is about the same as other good fighters (large pool of viable characters, 5 or 6 at the bottom that are really bad), and has good game mechanics.

In other news, MK7's Retro tracks are like the best tracks they could've chosen. The only good tracks they don't have aren't be used because they got in another MK game already, except MK64 Rainbow Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)