np: NU Stage 0 - For What It's Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've ran HP Ground on Magneton before and honestly I think I'd prefer it over any other HP type. You hit Lanturn as well as Klinklang still and then you will always win vs other Magneton too.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Klinklang takes more from Thunderbolt, but yeah you hit other Magneton (important if you have your own Klink) as well as Lanturn, Camerupt etc. HP Grass still hits Lanturn and takes out EVIL DEMON WATER BLOB THING Quagsire.

Haunter wants HP Ground for Magneton, probably. What do Fire and Fighting even hit?

Am I the only person that runs Magnet Rise on Magneton? Really, that fucks any Ground moves targeting it...
And Ice-eyes, I think things like HP Fire and Fighting have their own merits against HP Ground for a few reasons. 1) The opponent can't switch into a flying 'mon to negate the damage. 2) Fighting hits much more SE in this tier (granted that Ground hits Mag for 4x, but it doesn't hit other things as well). 3) Fire and Fighting hit Hail teams harder.
I personally prefer HP Fire on Mag, but I've considered experimenting with HP Ground (simply because Lanturn walls him otherwise).

And speaking of Lanturn, has anyone else found any success with it? I use the specially defensive set with Discharge and Heal Bell and it's worked fairly well for me.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
lanturn is amazing as a pivot switch as well as having tonnes of resistances and a handy immunity
it counters almost every water type, fire types and electric types
dont use lanturn as a wall its defenses arent amazing but as a pivot switch it can force tonnes of shit out giving your sweepers a free switch in to wreck havoc

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Am I the only person that runs Magnet Rise on Magneton? Really, that fucks any Ground moves targeting it...
And Ice-eyes, I think things like HP Fire and Fighting have their own merits against HP Ground for a few reasons. 1) The opponent can't switch into a flying 'mon to negate the damage. 2) Fighting hits much more SE in this tier (granted that Ground hits Mag for 4x, but it doesn't hit other things as well). 3) Fire and Fighting hit Hail teams harder.
I personally prefer HP Fire on Mag, but I've considered experimenting with HP Ground (simply because Lanturn walls him otherwise).

And speaking of Lanturn, has anyone else found any success with it? I use the specially defensive set with Discharge and Heal Bell and it's worked fairly well for me.
As far as Haunter is concerned, there is virtually no difference in damage between neutral Sludge Bomb and SE Hidden Power (plus Sludge Bomb has that nifty chance to Poison).

HP Fire Magneton is just bad, T-Bolt hits Klinklang harder and bulky Grasses get hit nearly as hard by Flash Cannon (plus none of them can hurt you at all). You either use HP Grass and miss out on other Magneton (risking getting trapaped by them) or HP Ground and get walled by scourge of the universe Quaggy.

HP Fire Magneton is just bad, T-Bolt hits Klinklang harder and bulky Grasses get hit nearly as hard by Flash Cannon (plus none of them can hurt you at all). You either use HP Grass and miss out on other Magneton (risking getting trapaped by them) or HP Ground and get walled by scourge of the universe Quaggy.
I haven't ran into too many Quagsires down here actually, and I've played enough to see most of the main 'mons that everyone else is trying to use. Is Quag really that good down here? Not trying to sound like a prick, I just never see him.

Also, Spiker Cacturne is pretty cool. I can usually set up a couple of layers of Spikes or SD up while the opponent switches out. SD + Sucker Punch does a respectable amount of damage to most of the offensive Pokemon down here. Only problem is the weakness to Hail, Flying and Fighting... which are everywhere right now.

I'm really liking NU so far, I'm currently rank 50 or so

What I'm seeing a lot of :

Magmortor
Swellow
Braivary
KlinkKlang
Sawk
Miltank
Tangela
SlowKing

Magmorter hits like a truck most of the team members I've tried out bar Slowking haven't been able to switch into it very well and few have the staying power or speed to take it down, especially if it runs Hidden Power Grass. Generally it needs to be revenge killed.

Swellow and Braivary are two powerful birds, I've found Magneton or Scarf Sawk to be very effective against the two, mixed results using Intimidate Tarous due to the dominance of U-turn on their standard sort of sets. Magneton resists U-turn , Brave Bird and Facade on Swellow but does have to watch out for Super Power on Braivary.

Klinkklang was just wrecking me when I first started playing the tier but it seems it's actually quite easily defeated if you can catch it before to many boosts. I suspect this is the reason I've been seeing the occasional Probopass since it can take Gear Grind and Return very well and well KlinkKlang doesn't have much options for the thrid slot, I've seen Sub and Toxic thrown on but not much else. I'm been using Magneton to deal with it, trapping , subbing and dealing damage with either Thunderbolt of HP-Ground depending on the moveset I've gone for.

Sawk is a decent guy for this tier. Most often I see a scarf set since it can hit non-scarf birds with Stone-edge and take them down but life-orb and even leftovers have been spotted. Sturdy trolls me so hard especially in my harzardless team at the moment.

Miltank , Tangela and Slowking seem to favourite walls. Miltank happens to both have self recovery and Heal Beal which can just ruin any attempt at statusing their team. I've dealt with it in a few ways mainly Sawk and Magmorter who can use Close Combat and Focus Blast to punch some holes in the cow. Tangela and Slowking seems to almost always be used together, probably to have a regenerator core. The wall opposite ends of the spectrum effectively so they can be quite hard to get through especially with Tangela's sleep powder. One interesting way of getting around this I've had is Shiftry who not only isn't effected by Leech Seed , has early bird to troll sleep powder with, Tangela can't do a thing to it even with it's frail defenses while Slowking can hope for A : a burn off Scald B: Hitting with Flamethrower but thanks to Sub and SuckerPunch / Being faster with Seed Bomb it can't do that much anyway.

Ocassionly :

Lanturn
Camerupt
Girafarig
Grumpig
Tauros
Magneton
Probopass

Lanturn was a pain in the ass for one of my teams, since most aren't running air balloon at the moment hidden power - ground on Magneton seems to my favourite way to take it down.

God, I was completely unprepared for Camperupt earlier today. It has Fire Blast and Earth Power which were able to take down two of heavy hitters of my teams in quick succession. Again Hidden Power - Ground on Magneton and getting something with Earthquake in unharmed seems to deal with it well.

Girafarig and Grumpig seem to function as calm minders most often. Trying to hit Girafarig with Shadow Ball is embrassing but both are ultimately stopped by Unaware Pokémon such as Quasire or Swoobat both of which have their merits. I've also had a bit of success out gunning it with thanks to Tail Glow Volbeat which can pass to a myraid of Special Attackers in the Tier.

You'll see I've mentioned Magneton quite a bit and it's because it is just great in the tier. The choice of Hidden Power seems to be most important choice I've tried out Ground , Grass and Fire each of which leaves you walled by some fairly common pokémon. Fire is ultimately only used for Tangela and was ditched fairly early on for Ground / Grass . Grass deals with Rydon and Quaggy easily but Ground hits Klinkklang , Magmorter , Sawk , Rydon and most importantly other Magneton. I've been running sub for protection from paralysis / leech seed / sleep which lets me deal with Magmorter / Sawk a lot better. Probopass seems to be used either as a lead with Taunt / Stealth Rock to get things going or to trap Klinkklang and just sit their and wear it down with Earth Power.

Hail also seems to be used a fair bit but is stopped short by the steel and fire types in the tier. In particular Magneton who can not only resist Blizzard spam but hit stuff with HP - Fire / Hp-Fighting / Flash Cannon and Stallrein with a Thunderbolt. Klinkklang after a boost or too runs through an entire team with Gear Grind going right through Stallrein's subs.

I've just been playing another match and noticed Shedninja is down here and is really bad to play against if you ( like me) don't have hazard and run few Super Effective moves.

I tried out a Cacturne with (Swords Dance , Spikes , Seed Bomb , Sucker Punch) but it was quite underwhleming. Sure spikes were nice when they got up and the occasional revenge kill with Sucker Punch was great. Thanks to Water Absorb it worked great at countering Lanturn and Quaggy but I ultimately switched it over to Shiftry who have been preforming much better.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WHO THE FUCK IS USING GRUMPIG AND GIRAFARIG.
Seriously, theres so many better cmers, especially mesprit, who has better stats and better coverage, the only thing each of them has going over it is differnet resistances, which are very outweighed by mesprits much greater stats and movepool. I have honestly no idea why you would use them over anything else.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Something to think about: no matter what kind of team you're going to build - stall, offense, weather, whatever, hazards are absolutely essential. There's no going around them. You almost are required to run Stealth Rock on offensive teams or else you risk being constantly beaten and bombarded by Swellow and Braviary, plus you also need to break that Sturdy on Sawk somehow. Dominant special walls such as Slowking, Lanturn, and Lickilicky will not be broken by special attackers like Magmortar without hazard support. The same applies for physical ones like Rhydon. Also, consider the quality of the Rapid Spinners in NU: you essentially have Cryogonal, Armaldo, Torkoal, and Wartortle as top-tier spinners... and they all suck, ngl.

tl;dr Spikes-stacking and hazards in general are nearly impossible to spin away effectively and I don't know why more teams don't take advantage of this...

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
i want to throw in something new
Amoonguss
Why is no one using this thing??
100% accurate sleep move is amazing
it bulky as well and has decent offense
the threat of spore plays mind games with your opponent as many teams dont want a member to be disabled for what could be the game
seriously use Amoonguss

The thing is, the only good thing Amoonguss has besides bulk is that Spore - it's not very effective if you already have Sleep Clause activated. Besides, if you need to sac something for Spore, just make sure it's the least needed team member for that match; it all depends on your opponent. If you're looking for a Spore user, use Smeargle. Seriously, it's amazing since you essentially get to pass a boost for free to whatever you feel like, and maybe a Substitute while you're at it. Got a Swellow? Pass it a Swords Dance boost. Magmortar? You can pass Quiver Dance too! Admittedly, it's not nearly as good as it would be if SmashPass were allowed, but that's just because Shell Smash is godly, especially in lower tiers. You can take a good guess at what boost it's going to pass based on the team most of the time, so act accordingly.

Speaking of SmashPass, all I have to say is Huntail. Great mixed attacking stats after a Shell Smash boost, and if you have rain up you're pretty much untouchable with a set of Waterfall / Ice Beam / Crunch, which hits most of NU for neutral damage. Another great reason to run that bastard Quagsire!

Expanding on what people have said combining stuff, Smeargle makes an excellent Hazards lead, being decently fast, having the ability to set up both Spikes and Stealth Rocks, cripple something with spore, and then theeres the fact before the frist layer goes down the opponent has to t guess whether or not its going to be passing something or not.

What do you guys think of Para-Shuffling Serperior?

Granted, I have nit had the chance to test it, but this seems to be it's best set until Contrary comes out:

Serperior @ Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Def or Sp.Def depending on what you need/ 4 Sp.Atk.
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Giga Drain
- Support move of choice.

Once I am able to, I'll test this thing out. It can cripple a couple of mons easily and cause residue damage.

So I've noticed that a large amount of really good rain Pokemon are down here (or at least good in my opinion), has anyone tried a rain dance team yet?

Notable summoners include Slowking, Volbeat, Gardevoir, Murkrow, Electrode, and Mesprit.
Abusers include Swanna, Seismitoad, Armaldo, Alomomola, Dewgong, Huntail, Floatzel, Gorebyss, and Relicanth.

And before someone says anything, yes, I know a good deal of the NU rain Pokemon do, in fact, suck ass. There's definitely some potential there though, right?

And before someone says anything, yes, I know a good deal of the NU rain Pokemon do, in fact, suck ass. There's definitely some potential there though, right?
Seismitoad is actually a beast with a mixed set+Swift Swim, and Swanna can abuse STAB Hurricane and Surf. Not to mention Gorebyss outspeeds everything after a SS and can fire off STAB +2 Rain boosted Hydro Pumps. Relicanth is kinda slow but STAB recoil-less Head Smash is awesome. Armaldo is probably one of the best Rapid Spinners in the tier.

Sun teams are SO MUCH FUN. I run three Sun summoners, (Prankster Murkrow, Camerupt, and Heat Rock Exeggutor) and it messes shit up. I also run Golduck, who, although is somewhat weak, is a huuuge component to my team as it's my only Scarf Braviary and Swellow check. Also, it has Cloud Nine, so it's not even affected by the sun. 40/0 Golduck is 2HKO'd by Brave Bird, sometimes OHKO'd after SR, but Golduck also 2HKO's 4/0 Braviary with Ice Beam with or without SR. I also run JUST enough speed to outspeed max+ Scarf Braviary.

God, people are prepared for Smeargle.

Sap Sipper Miltank is so rising in usage and he's just like HAHA SCREW YOU SMEARGLE as it takes your Spore and uses it for a nice attack boost. And frankly, Miltank with an attack boost is actually fairly fearsome. I'll end up getting Rocks up but nothing else in that situation.

breh

強いだね
has anybody ever tried specs cryogonal? as awful as it might sound, it actually looks kind of neat. it's fast and it has a fantastic STAB to abuse; its SpA isn't too shabby either.

would be something like Blizzard/HP Elec or Ground/Recover or Toxic/Rapid Spin.

I don't like the sound of that because you'll have a specs set with 2 moves that don't work well with specs. I'd replace recover with flash cannon to take out rock types and opposing ice types. Maybe keep rapid spin because it looks like the only other special move it gets is solar beam. Personally, I don't know why you would ever use specs cryogonol when glaceon , jynx, and regice are in the tier. Cryogonal needs to stick to support

Ok guys Cinccino is absolutely amazing, i've been running a LO scout set and it can rip offensive teams apart, combined with a Bulk Up Floatzel they are ripping through the meta. Another often overlooked or criticized mon that hasn't been that bad for me is eviolite Metang, its bulky as fuck and helps me check threats like Klinglang, Swellow, Braviary. While occasionaly getting a Hone Claws or Meteor Mash attack boost and weakening half the team. It is still weak but is definitely deserves a shot.

you people need to discover the power of eelektross. All the eel needs is some hazards support and some twave support and he can easily knock out 2/3rds of a team. I'm even considering running dragon tail on the special set just to rack up damage on opponents he can't touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)