np: ORAS UU Stage 6 - Slow Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Self-destruct was already legal on lax. I haven't looked through everything in depth, but from a brief glance I can't really see any noteworthy changes.

SM will be 7th gen, Gen 1 Pokémon can't be sent to ORAS or XY. This discussion is pointless.
are you certain because we can get the download for gen 1 tomorrow. It would seem kind of funny to not be able to send pokemon over from gen 1 to the current gen on the same device it is being played on.

Static zapdos is fun I guess, the other birds are reasonably irrelevant to our tier though.

Even then I'm sure a bunch of zapdos will still run pressure to stall out stone edges and shit.

tehy

Banned deucer.
a big potential use I see is switching into beedrill u-turns, once that thing gets paralysed may as well stick a fork in it

same goes for scarf shao. scarf hera wouldn't like it either!

pressure is still cool i guess, definitely screws over shaymin, it just seems like it has more theoretical use than real. static gives you a nice last-ditch check to any physical sweeper not packing a lum (those usually have outrage and use it, so they'll at least confuse themselves. if you're facing the legend lum gyara you might be out of luck, but as we all know they do not exist so.)

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Yeah really stinks Zapdos cant have Defog and Static, meaning Static will only be useable on offensive sets like Scarf/Specs, or 3 attacks LO roost. Static will be really cool though, as it really pressures u-turners that would switch out of it such as Whimsicott, Beedrill, Mienshao, etc. Also just works as a nice last ditch effort. It also forces people to play less aggressive, as for example. Someone may Close Combat on a semi-obvious Zapdos switchin, just because its the safe play, but you risk getting paralyzed, and crippled for the match. But yeah, will see some fun use out of it, even though Defensive is more popular.

I don't really see how it benefits more from Static than Pressure in nearly all aspects.

It's obvious that Pressure is the best ability on all defensive sets as stalling out low PP moves like Gyro Ball, Close Combat, and Seed Flare pretty easily. I see the merit in being able to spread paralysis semi-reliably but the semi-reliably part is what makes it a little undesirable as opposed to Pressure. And the fact having Defog + Static is illegal. Even on offensive sets (scarf is a thing? guess it's on my list then) I'd be more inclined to use Pressure as being able still chip away at low PP moves it just a lot better than forcing yourself to take a hit for a 30% chance to punish with paralysis. On LO + Roost sets I can see some merit in Static since you've got Roost which means you've got longevity on your side and you're not defensive, but that's about it.

I mean if you're using Static thinking, "this is my last-ditch check to this +2 Salamence" or you're relying heavily upon luck to check something that only has a 30% chance to be paralyzed, you shouldn't expect to win that match. Stick to Pressure.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I mean if you're using Static thinking, "this is my last-ditch check to this +2 Salamence" or you're relying heavily upon luck to check something that only has a 30% chance to be paralyzed, you shouldn't expect to win that match. Stick to Pressure.
The point of Static isn't that it is your last ditch chance of stopping a sweep; the point is that it discourages people from spamming certain moves. Things like Whimsicott, Beedrill or Mienshao are not going to feel comfortable spamming U-Turn (normally an incredibly low risk move) knowing that there's a 30% chance they'll be crippled for the match. It also means that things like non-Stone Edge Cobalions trying to wear down Zapdos by making it repeatedly switch into Rocks + Iron Head for a late-game sweep can no longer do that.

I also tend to think Defog on Zapdos is kind of not great anyhow, so the illegality of it doesn't really bother me. Some sets will definitely prefer Pressure, no doubt, but ironically Static can actually pressure opposing teams a lot more than Pressure can. I definitely think it's an upgrade for many sets.

Zapdos tends to be my go-to defogger, but I tend to run a specially defensive set so I think it won't benefit me too much. Pdef would certainly love it on defog, but pressure is still great for stall.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Off topic nitpick but AV Escav is incredibly underwhelming and any hype it may or may not have gotten was undeserved. SD Lefties Escav, however, is great in this meta, so I implore you try it out over AV sets

Wow yay good, I really haven't been enjoying UU as of late because there's not been enough paralysis. Really thinking the fact that touching a Zapdos can paralyze you will make me want to play more.

Also, does static effect ground types? Just thinking about krook v zap. Static does work on ground types. Rip.

All that aside though, how many Zapdos do you actually see that don't run defog? Not a whole lot.

Last edited:

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't used Metagross super extensively or anything, but Shuca Berry has let it lure and/or check stuff like Nidoqueen/Salamence/Gyarados/etc. that the teams I used it on would ordinarily have trouble with. Occa/Colbur Berries can do the same thing for specific threats you really want Metagross to beat, but Shuca is probably the best option for a resist berry. Leftovers is also a decent option. I don't like Life Orb on it, though, since I'd generally want to use Metagross as a bulky tank that uses its durability to check stuff as opposed to its power to break walls and would prefer that its item somehow increase its longevity rather than its offensive power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)