Challenge Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, picked up my Fire Red Nuzlocke & caught two new Pokemon: Voltorb & Zubat. Are either worth using: Both are around Lv15, while my main three are pushing Lv30, in the Rock Tunnel at the moment. Thank you in advance.

When doing a nuzlocke challenge, do I have to catch the first pokemon I see in an area?

Because now every time I go to a new area, I have to catch a new pokemon and now I have a never ending horde of pokemon.

@Its A Random: IIRC you can't evolve Golbat into Crobat until you get the National Dex so you can probably safely skip Zubat unless you desperately need a team member. Voltorb is nice if you need something to beat Water or Flying types but if you don't then it's also skippable IMO.

@alih92: You don't *have* to catch the first Pokemon, but if you don't then you can't catch something else, so make sure you have a backup plan ready in case something happens to your main team.

i just though of a way to fight ghethisis/final N without the pokes that just died

well, you just lose to the one you're fighting at the moment, that way, you get sent down to the league, and you can revisit all the rooms in the castle, including the one with the PC

so far if you have losses, this is the best way i could think of to get them in the box

I'm thinking of Nuzlockeing something.

1) What game would people suggest for a first-time Nuzlocke? I can play all games except Ruby, Sapphire, and Fire Red.

2) I'm thinking of the following rule choices:

* Catch the first new Pokemon (not marked caught in the Pokedex) in an area.
* Any item usage, but no buying anything but balls.
* "No going back" in the field. Every route, dungeon, gym etc I will attempt to push through in one run or die trying. (Corollary: No grinding, and no overuse of Pokemon Centres.) Revisiting areas to gain items and fight Trainers not previously accessible is allowed however.
* No game guides. I've gotta play from memory.
* No circumventing the above two by going somewhere with worthless Pokemon expecting to lose them but to gather intel.
* No going somewhere solely for berries and/or Trainer rebattles.
* No Flying.
* Legendaries may not be caught until post E4 unless forced. Only Reshiram/Zekrom may be used (since they're plot points).
* I'll play Shift. (It's how they do it in the anime after all.)
* "Dead" Pokemon can be traded to NPCs. They're suckers ;-)

No buying items may make things hard, though not as bad as no items at all. "No going back" has the chance to seriously screw me over, and will force me to think before I do things. "No Flying" is in part to give a means to get some extra battles in without technically grinding.

How easy/hard do people think those rules will make it?

Also, might it be interesting to Nuzlocke a Mystery Dungeon game? Obviously there'd be a few changes, since capture mechanics are different. And of course the main premise of fainting=death causes a problem for the non-replaceable character and partner (I'd be inclined to say player character death means end of Nuzlocke, but partner death can be ignored since they're AI controlled so could too easily screw you over.)

I always found Emerald to be pretty easy to play since you get quite a bit of good pokemon early on such as Ralts and Shroomish as well as those tentacools around brawly who evolve after one level. I've played through the entire game with a mainly Mudkip so it seems Nuzlockable, although I've never tried it.

After reading this thread, I realized I more or less Nuzlocked my way through White. lol

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fire Red Nuzlocke Update #6!

Nuzlocke Update time, this time, from the Lightning Badge to Lavender Town.

Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5

• If a Pokemon faints, It will be boxed, never to come out of the PC again.
  • Only catch the first wild Pokemon encountered in an area.
  • Battle Style will be "Set".
  • No Items used outside of battle, with the exception of giving a Pokemon an item or to use a TM.
  • Only Pokeballs are to be bought in a mart.
  • I can leave a Gym to Heal only if I've beaten all the minor trainers.
  • Nicknames are compulsory.

• Started in Vermilion City.
  • Went through Diglett's Cave & got the HM for Flash before going back through the cave, teaching the HM to Ninth Life.
  • Went through Route 9, killing a Spearow.
  • Went through Route 10, catching Ka-Boom!!! the Voltorb, who is boxed...for now...
  • Went in Rock Tunnel! Caught Flapper the Zubat, who is boxed.
  • Annoying Hiker Central!
  • 5,783,906 Hikers & 4,589,120 wild encounters later, RootOfEvil Evolves! Into a Venusaur! Wow! How exciting!
  • More fucking Hikers! (And the occasional Pokemaniac & Picnicker)
  • WhacAMole learns Rock Slide!
  • I finally get out of Rock Tunnel many hours later...Only to find more Hikers, which equal overleveled Venusaur, hurting my future potential to capture more Pokemon.
  • Arrived in Lavender Town!
  • In Lavender Town at the moment.

Sparrow (Female Fearow) @ Nothing
Lv:30/Bashful/Keen Eye
-Peck
-Growl
-Pursuit
-Fury Attack
Comments: Sparrow is a great member on the team, especially since evolving, even though she's playing a support role to RootOfEvil & WhacAMole, she is still a fine member on the team.

WhacAMole (Male Dugtrio) @ Nothing
Lv:30/Gentle/Arena Trap
-Rock Slide
-Magnitude
-Fury Swipes
-Dig
Comments: Basically filled the void left by the late Rock Pile. He came out swinging after her unfortunate death & took out all the major Trainers this update without too much worries. A worthy team member.

RootOfEvil (Male Venusaur) @ Nothing
Lv:33/Calm/Overgrow
-Tackle
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf
Comments: The starter & the undisputed leader of the team, always willing to help his team mates when they're near death. RootOfEvil will be critical to my success in this Nuzlocke. He is vastly overlevelled at this point, but that's only due to the 5,783,906 Hikers that were in the Rock Tunnel.

Ninth Life (Male Meowth) @ Nothing
Lv:14/Timid/Pickup
-Scratch
-Flash
-Bite
-Cut
Comments: Only in the party, because it's a HM Slave. I know he'll do well as one.

Worm (Male Caterpie) @ Nothing
Lv:7/Careful/Shield Dust
-Tackle
-String Shot
Comments: Boxed because it's pathetic. What else?

Flapper (Female Pidgey) @ Nothing
Lv:13/Jolly/Keen Eye
-Tackle
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Quick Attack
Comments: Flapper has been boxed in favour of Sparrow, is a back up in case Sparrow bites the dust.

Root (Female Oddish) @ Nothing
Lv:17/Bashful/Chlorophyll
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-PoisonPowder
-Stun Spore
Comments: Boxed as it's inferior to RootOfEvil. If he dies, this will come out.

snakE (Male Ekans) @ Nothing
Lv:13/Mild/Shed Skin
-Wrap
-Leer
-Poison Sting
-Bite
Comments: Boxed because it's crap.

Ka-Boom!!! (Genderless Voltorb) @ Nothing
Lv:14/Lax/Soundproof
-Charge
-Tackle
-Screech
Comments: Boxed, due to low level & my lack of patience for grinding. Whether I should get it out of the box is debatable.

Flapper (Male Zubat) @ Nothing
Lv:15/Serious/Inner Focus
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish
Comments: Boxed, because it's inferior, & it can't fully evolve until post-E4.

Joey (Female Rattata) @ Nothing
Lv:9/Modest (Bah...)/Run Away
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
Comments: First casualty as expected. No-one on the team really liked her anyway. Caught on Route 22 when I really wanted a Nidoran, Joey was weak, & useless. Weak enough to be killed by a Lv14 Spearow. RIP.

Stingers (Male Beedrill) @ Nothing
Lv:14/Quiet/Shed Skin
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack
Comments: Stingers was a useful member early game, with a powerful Fury Attack, he was a great member. Sadly, he fell on the Nugget Bridge to a random crit from a Lv18 Mankey's Fury Swipes. He will sorely be missed. RIP.

Rock Pile (Female Geodude) @ Nothing
Lv:21/Rash/Rock Head
-Mega Punch
-Defence Curl
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
Comments: Rock Pile was a great member. She was my best check to the ever so annoying Raticate & contributed so much. Unfortunately, she fell to a random crit from a Gamer's Lv18 Growlithe's Bite. Rock Pile will be sorely missed by the team. RIP.

That's all for now, next update after the Rainbow Badge. A couple of questions: Anyone in the Box worth using? And with Eevee, who should I evolve it into if it's worth using at all?

cantab, Try Emerald, or Diamond/Pearl.

@Its A Random
Get the eevee and evolve it to Jolteon. Grind it up making sure of course that it doesn't die, and then it should just rip s**t.

:sigh: Well, I think I've just done a contender for the shortest Nuzlocke ever. Weston the L12 Wingull, Wispa the L5 Whismur, Melty the L6 Ralts, Dynamite the L12 Torchic, SILCOON the L9 Silcoon (I forgot to nickname), and Low the L5 Taillow all got wiped out by Roxanne's Nosepass. I'm left with Pikablu, a L4 Marril, which with no grinding doesn't stand a chance.

Guess I probably shoulda levelled Pikablu not Weston.

Starting a Nuzlocke in Black. Wish me luck~

THE RULES:
Only the standard ones, it's my first Nuzlocke.
-If a Pokemon faints, it is dead and will remain in my PC until after I have defeated the game.
-I can only capture the first pokemon I see on each route. If I faint it or I have no Pokeballs, oops.
-Nicknames are compulsory.

Here goes...

STARTING TEAM

Oshawott Lv. 5

JOURNEY START (Nuvema Town -> Accumula Town)
-Received an Oshawott from Prof. Juniper. Which would be really kind, except my two obnoxiously clingy friends also got Pokemon...
-Battled with Bianca. Oshawott's Tackle crits her Tepig, so I have no problems here.
-My room is in tatters. Bianca will pay for that later...
-Defeated Cheren, whose Snivy did nothing but Leer 4 times in a row.
-Got a "cross-transceiver" (because obviously that's how one would pronounce Xtransceiver).
-Nicknamed Oshawott Shien because, after all, he does become a really powerful samurai.
-My mother is surprisingly eager to get us to leave. She even gave all three of us Town Maps. This worries me...
-Was forcefully dragged to Route 1 by Bianca. I still have bruises on my wrists.
-Got some Pokeballs. My journey is now officially underway.
-First find! It's a Level 2 Patrat >_< But, it's still a Pokemon, so it gets captured and nicknamed Psychotik.
-In meandering Route 1, I get a Potion from a helpful passerby, Shien learns Water Gun, and Psychotik learns Leer.
-Learn what a Pokemon Center is (for the umpteenth time) from Professor Juniper.
-Defeated N for the first time. No worries so far!

CURRENT TEAM:

Shien (Oshawott) Lv. 7
Torrent, Hardy Nature
Tackle/Tail Whip/Water Gun

Psychotik (Patrat) Lv. 5
Keen Eye, Lonely Nature
Tackle/Leer

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:sigh: Well, I think I've just done a contender for the shortest Nuzlocke ever. Weston the L12 Wingull, Wispa the L5 Whismur, Melty the L6 Ralts, Dynamite the L12 Torchic, SILCOON the L9 Silcoon (I forgot to nickname), and Low the L5 Taillow all got wiped out by Roxanne's Nosepass. I'm left with Pikablu, a L4 Marril, which with no grinding doesn't stand a chance.

Guess I probably shoulda levelled Pikablu not Weston.
Pretty sure the shortest Nuzlocke was when I lost in the first battle after a Tail Whip and two crits.

SO, I need an opinion from you guys:
I've been doing a Scramblocke* of pokemon black (combination scramble and nuzlocke, obviously) and I ran myself into a bit of a pickle. Let me elaborate on the setting
I was on my way to Celestial Tower and I walked past one of the pokemon Rangers thinking he would see me because he was facing me. He did not but I continued on and as I battled other people my team became injure, weakened, etc. I walked back through the same spot and this time the little bastard saw me. Shrugging it off I figure "I got this," anyway at one point there was a Future Sight up, that I wasn't worried about but then instead of clicking Electro Ball on me Emolga I accidentally selected Volt Switch (misclick, the distinction may or may not be important). Upset, because I knew this would mean I was going to lose another party member I click on my Joltik...
Only for my Dewott to come out because I apparently have fucking ham-fisted fingers. My Dewott died and, understandably, I was consumed by a fit of nerdrage. Less understandably I switched off my DS.

Another contribution of my initial dismay: Dewott is the only water pokemon I was assigned and the only pokemon that can learn Surf; so up to this point I had been taking special care to keep stupid shit from happening to him.

I basically know my options, but I wanted some advice or insight to the best option for me that still counts as fair in your opinions.

*credit to Obsidian Ranger for being, I believe, the first person at smogon to do a scramblocke

Cool thing about Black and White: I'm 99% certain that you don't need Surf (or Strength for that matter) to beat the main story. Up to you whether or not you want to save your Dewott because you had no intention of actually using it there, but if you don't I'm pretty sure you're not done.

but I miss out on dozens of things that are quite helpful whether or not it's mandatory including extra trainers and several TMs

Cool thing about Black and White: I'm 99% certain that you don't need Surf (or Strength for that matter) to beat the main story. Up to you whether or not you want to save your Dewott because you had no intention of actually using it there, but if you don't I'm pretty sure you're not done.
I can confirm this; on my normal run of White, I only taught Surf to Samurott so it would have a decent STAB move. Surf is not required at all unless you want the Larvesta egg on the route next to Route 1.

but I miss out on dozens of things that are quite helpful whether or not it's mandatory including extra trainers and several TMs
Yeah, but it's not a failure (which IIRC was the problem hinted at) if you don't have Surf since you don't *need* it to continue. EDIT: Actually after rereading your first post it says nothing about being worried about failing the challenge, so ignore that. As far as your options are concerned... I'm honestly not sure what I would do.

Im currently Trying to Nuzlocke Pokemon Pearl. Just past the 1st Gym Leader with only one dead poke. Cranidos has nothing on onix!! Just wanted to know if pokemon pearl is a rough game to play through with these rules.

1. Pokemon Dies, it is put into a Dead Box.
2. Only allowed to catch the first pokemon I see in each Route.
3. Shift Battle Rules.
4. No in-battle Items allowed.
5. Nicknmaes for everyone.

Current Team

Tommy the Turtwig
lvl 17

Sally the Staravia
lvl 15

Steven the Onix
lvl 14

Fiona the Buizel
lvl 13

DEAD

Derp the Bidoof
lvl 7

Gary the Geodude
lvl 8

any comments are appreciated

@Cantab i have had a shorter run when i lost my second wild encounter on Ruby when a crit tackle killed my started, my only poke, stupid zigzagoon.
@Walshy you should edit your post since it says 1 dead poke but theres 2 and thats a pretty decent team, my first team was a Geodude, a Abra (who .........died later:( ), a Machop and a Turtwig since i didnt want any other pokes until i caught my Zubat and Difloon(the drifloon died too......:( ), yeah platnium is hard never did a Pearl but good luck.
Other news will post team status later today since i am not doing anything worth updating other then some much needed grinding and adding te final touches to my E4 team my E4 team consists (no levels since i cant remember and i am in class at the moment)
Rosey the Budew
Ryan the Rydon (and soon to be a Ryhperioer, i think i spelled it wrong but all well)
Tort the Torterra
Elect The Electabuzz (and soon to be a Elective)
Chopper the Machamp (only original member of team left other then Tort who i havent replaced....yet)
Evil the Weavile
do you think i shoud change my team or not Comments please
EDIT i just realised no one bagged out my update for like 3 or 4 chapters so that means either, a) no one read it :( or b) i did a good job for once, wo ho

I think you need Strength for Dragonspiral Tower when you have to go against some Plasma guys, in order to get to some stairs iirc.

Does anyone know when the original Nuzlocke challenge was done? I know it was on Fire Red, but I haven't been able to find out exactly when - in particular, whether it was before or after Emerald. (I need to know for the intro for my story.)

Does anyone know when the original Nuzlocke challenge was done? I know it was on Fire Red, but I haven't been able to find out exactly when - in particular, whether it was before or after Emerald. (I need to know for the intro for my story.)
i think first was emerald and then was fire red...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)