Nuzlocke Challenge

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well I tried to finish my HG Nuzlocke but I failed trying to beat the E4 for the second time. Stupid crits really fucked me over and when I got to Lance I only had about 3 pokemon left. Then I got mowed by Garchomp. SO yeah, Nuzlocke Challenge over. Still going strong on my Platinum challenge though

Ah well time for a restart on HG I guess.

I've been doing a rather uninspired Nuzlocke of Blue version.
The only rule additional to the three standard rules is that once I enter a Gym I may not leave until the leader is defeated, if I get haxxed in the first battle or I forgot to stock/heal up tough luck.

I've only hit a few snags and I decided that there is a new check that might have been taken out for gen3 but was awful: there is a Team Rocket with a level 16 Raticate in Mt. Moon, approximately 3/4 of the way through. I did not have a single member of my team that was over level 15 nor were any of them at full health at the time. That Raticate took out 4 members of my team, including my Butterfree but, thank Goodness not my Charmander.

The next snag came in Fuschia City, I'm betting some of you already can guess what, the level 38 Hypno. Now that was a crit... but still, my Gyarados...
Also, Koga's Weezing out-speed my Sandslash and Self Destructed KOing him at full health (he had the highest defense on my team and was the only one that new Dig and for some awful reason I don't think my Pidgeotto new Fly yet so that was an unavoidable loss).

My most recent loss, was probably the biggest though. My level 41 Snorlax was taken down by Articuno. I had been planning to use him to kill Alakazams and I got cocky after he DESTROYED Blaine. It went like this:
Articuno used Ice Beam YogaMaster lost about 2/3
YogaMaster used Body Slam Articuno lost about 1/3; Articuno was paralyzed
{sweet, I got this} Trainer uses Hyper Potion on YogaMaster
Articuno uses Ice Beam, Critical Hit! YogaMaster fainted...
Trainer's Jaw hit floor.

Overconfidence.

Anyway now I have:(nicknames omitted because you guys don't care)
Charizard level 43
Kingler level 40
Pidgeot level 40
Victreebel level 41
Nidoqueen level 42
Lapras level 31

Been playing the Catch-up game with Lapras. It may not be a replacement for Snorlax but I need something with enough special bulk to survive a hit from Alakazam and KO back. When Lapras gets to 40 Imma go test it against Sabrina, then it should be smooth sailing to the League (not considering Giovanni to be an issue).

Little question here, how do you guys get the screenshots? Do you play on emulators on your computers?

Edit: First update on my HeartGold Nuzlocke (not into writing and all, so just a technical thingy):

Currently roaming around Violet City, training freshly caught Pokémon. Training for Falkner, hoping to have at least 3 of lv ~14 when fighting him.

The team:

Luke the Totodile (lv. 13, Male, Adamant)
Alex the Pidgey (lv. 14, Female, Jolly)
Jay the Gastly (lv. 6, Male, Lonely)
Harry the Zubat (lv. 4, Male, Adamant)
Phil the Spinarak (lv. 2, Male, Quiet nature)

MVP so far: Alex. She cleared out the complete Sprout Tower by herself, without taking a single hit.

So anyways, I caved to pressure. I will retry HeartGold with a very satirical plotline. Same rules are in place as the last challenge, and I will use the starter. I haven't actually started playing yet, but here is a brief prologue to the story I will be using:

aSo9x...
gu8ct...
QkLLLT...
bingo
Finally, after typing in some random string of letters that I couldn't read for the fiftieth time, Smogon had finally let me join. I sat in anticipation at finally being able to discuss competitive Pokemon with somebody other than the idiots I played with, when I stopped everything abruptly. Something was wrong.

There was only one forum on the site, and it was labeled Pokemon World, or something. I decided to look at the forum, and saw only a bunch of Competitive uses of Magikarp and Favorite Kanto Pokemon threads. I banged my head on the desk. This was the kind of crap that had convinced me to leave Bulbagarden for Smogon. Furious now, I clicked on some random users name, and sent them a random hate message asking what the heck was wrong.

After about a minute, the random rookie named Rediamond I had VM'd replied. One minute. That idiot must have no social life at all.

"Dear Hero, all competitive purposes of the site have ended following the release of Pokemon World, a World of Warcraft spinoff. Most people realised the potential of increasing thier nerd score and quit Pokemon to play something even dorkier."

I sent back my reply, surely someone must care.

He replied even faster, "Dear Hero, if you really wish to change things you could try to convince some of the badge leaders to help you convince the chief of policy, but the only way anyone on this site ever communicates with anyone anymore is after a battle. Therefore, if you are truly desperate, you should make an account on Pokemon world and attempt to defeat the best of Smogon."

-Good luck (and stop distracting me from the game), Rediamond.

And thus it began...

EDIT: Before people get mad...
THIS WILL NOT GET INVOLVED IN SITE POLITICS!!!
If I am going to use your name, I will send you all I will do with it, and ask for permission to use it. This will complicate the time between chapters, and I will probably use mostly fictional characters in the story, with an occasional appearance by an actual site member.
Three: The chances of this story actually going anywhere are very small. I will probably stop after chapter two or so, and then have some portions in story. I am writing another story right now, and I'm not inclined to wrote two at the same time. Also, please don't give any "suggestions" on the plot, as I really will have a hard time avoiding an infraction as it is, and I don't need any help getting one.

With that, my rant is done.

No. ROMS are both illegal and amoral. :toast: Yeah... :D

Anyway, I've been busy today. Next update will probably be out tomorrow. Thanks for all the Lueroi sympathy.

Zombeh, your run looks like it will be awesome. Can't wait to see more!

Rediamond, your idea sounds pretty cool, though I'm kinda sad the whole Nuzlocke saga is on hold. And Zombeh, nice to see you back into it so soon after a defeat.

As for me, grinding sucks. Grinding sucks even more when you have to hit 75ish and the highest level Pokemon to kill are level 50ish. And to top it all off, turns out the E4 gets its level boost before you beat Red, not after, meaning I can't train against them either -_-

Needless to say, it may be a while before the next update.

I would never play an Emulator. :pimp:

xD Thanks though. ^^ I'm working on a second update. And I always say, if you don't try, you can't succeed. So I figured I would do another run, while I am still pissed about losing. You know... to fuel the fire xD

Part 3: In which much grinding ensues

"Hello, and welcome to Dewford News. Our leading story: A pile of corpses seems to be growing to the north of town. It's as if every wild Pokémon in the cave were being slaughtered! Who could do such a horrible thing?!"

In other words: Grinding was boring.

And here was the result! Time to put this band of brothers to the test.

The battle began with Zoroaster facing off against Machop. After a number of Confusions, it fell. Then Makuhita appeared. He had used all of his healing on Machop, so Makuhita perished easily.

2 badges, 2 deaths.

Just a side note, did anybody ever notice how relatively inappropriate the Hoenn sprite for Beauties is? I mean, in GSC they changed the American sprite because the girl was winking and had short shorts, but this seems a little more worth censoring... whatever. Localization is stupid.

Finally, a use for Leech Life!

We took the Millenium Peeko back to Petalburg and went back to Rustboro to get the EXP SHARE. A bit out of the way, but definitely worth it!

And I'm calling it quits for now, mostly because I have to do more training to have a chance against May's team. Sorry for a relatively boring post, next time should be more interesting. Stay tuned!

Zoroaster the Dustox, Rash, Level 18

UrMomInBed the Whismur, Lonely, Level 17

Chocula the Zubat, Relaxed, Level 18

Blueray the Tentacool, Hardy, Level 17

Dwight the Electrike, Modest, Level 18

Lucy the Taillow, Gentle, Level 7
Lueroi the Marshstomp, Jolly, Level 5 - 16

After a bit of training, and easy to clear story events, (Team aqua makes rocket look extremely diverse), I cleared the 7th gym leader. The battle was easy, if only I realized having vileplume lead was a bad idea against psychics. Another teammate was lost on mt pyre due to fun evasion hax as well. It seems like it is going to be a while before I'm ready for the 8th gym.
My team
Bowser the torkoal lv 35
-Still amazing due to his overheat killing almost everything. He didn't play a huge role in the past part.

Oracle the absol lv 38
-Now actually a very useful team member with his sword dance+shadow ball. He almost singularly took down Tate and liza (my vileplume ended up as a meat shield)

Iago the banette lv 39
-My ghost who somehow ended up a special attacker, he was useful in taking out both team aqua (with thunderbolt) and the trainers in the 7th gym.

Feline the wailord lv 40
-My surfer, he didn't pull off anything fantastic, but surf/ice beam have made him useful, but not impressive.

New boxed
-Alex the plusle (Decided to box before he died), Ramses the duskull, Dracula the zubat, hydra the doduo

New dead
Dry Bones the anorith lv 33
-I thought he was hax proof because of battle armor. Wrong. A kirlia with double team evaded several attacks, and then killed him with a couple psychics. It didn't sweep because I finally killed it with vileplume

Otto the vileplume lv 37
-My favorite pokemon, he shut down several opponents with sleep powder. I tried to that against the leader and got with 2 psychics before it could do anything. I shouldn't have made that mistake.

@RitterCat:

Nice job xDD srsly. :3 I love the comic. I look forward to your future updates. ^^

On another note, I promise to update soon. xD I'm just being lazy.

Awesome stuff, RitterCat.

Anyways, just a question on how you guys are playing. Do you count different floors of caves as different areas, or is one cave just one area? I've caught 2 Pokémon in the Union Cave now, one on the bottom floor and one on the upper floor. How do you guys play?

Started a Nuzlocke in Pearl, lost in the Trainer's School thanks to that kid's Abra getting three Hidden Power crits in a row. >_> Now I have a level 8 Turtwig named Raphael and a level 6 Starly named Aurelia.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Anyways, just a question on how you guys are playing. Do you count different floors of caves as different areas, or is one cave just one area? I've caught 2 Pokémon in the Union Cave now, one on the bottom floor and one on the upper floor. How do you guys play?
Depends on your choice, really. I count an area as an entire route or cave, meaning I was only allowed the first pokemon I encountered in Union Cave PERIOD, regardless of floor. It's up to you though, I just think the floor option allows a bit too much freedom for the challenge. Of course, you only have so many pokeballs, so...

I started a Nuzlocke run the other day on LeafGreen. After having to restart twice (once due to my file getting erased and the other due to my getting poisoned before I could really do anything), I am on the 2nd gym. My party is:

TEAM:
GAMERA the Wartortle (Level 23, Modest)
AVENGER the Pidgeotto (Level 21, Jolly)
NINJA the Mankey (Level 20, Careful)
BRUCE the Zubat (Level 19, Docile)
PANGO the Sandshrew (Level 14, Rash)
CATNIP the Meowth (Level 10, Careful)

BOX:
ROC the Pidgey (Level 5, Bashful)
LACEY the Jigglypuff (Level 5, Bold)
BEES KNEES the Weedle (Level 8, Modest)

The way that I play it, if it says the same thing under the capture location of two different Pokémon, you aren't allowed to have them both. Exception: Safari Zone, sometimes. If you're desperate. So I would say just the first one of the Union Cave pokes that you caught.

Part 4: In which UrMom enters puberty

After clearing out all of the trainers available to us in or around Slateport, I still had to train. One crucial milestone needed to be reached before I could continue.

While attempting to reach that milestone, UrMomInBed evolved! Or, as the title implies, entered puberty. Seriously, voice cracks on a Loudred would make a lot of sense, UrMomInBed continues to be the powerhouse of my team.

DING! Milestone hit. With this, I am capable of knocking out May's Wailmer. UrMomInBed will hopefully be able to take out Numel, and Grovyle... well, we'll see. Maybe Chocula?

Here's my team going into the battle. Despite my preparations, I'm terrified. Her Grovyle has TPKed me before, and I'm scared of encountering the same thing again. If this was real, the conversation would go something like:

May: Hi, Umbreon, long time no see!
Me: Oh God you please stay away don't hurt them! They're babies!
May: While I was searching for other Pokémon, my Pokémon grew stronger.
Me: Crap, that's what I was afraid of! RUN!!!
May: So... how about a little battle?
Me: *gulp*

But my worries were for naught!

My other rival.

One hit. Maybe they're both just wimps.

Hooray for glitches!

That's it for now. Next stop: Wattson! With a couple new members along the way!

Zoroaster the Dustox, Rash, Level 19

UrMomInBed the Loudred, Lonely, Level 20

Chocula the Zubat, Relaxed, Level 21

Blueray the Tentacool, Hardy, Level 20

Dwight the Electrike, Modest, Level 20

Lucy the Taillow, Gentle, Level 7
Lueroi the Marshstomp, Jolly, Level 5 - 16

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Note to all HG Nuzlocke challengers:

Espeon @ Choice Specs fucks up the first 3 E4 members. All you need is about L40 and Shadow Ball + Psybeam (no way to get psychic without trading) to OHKO every pokemon except Koga's Muk and Forretress (Muk goes down if you are a higher level, Forry you pretty much need to switch).

Just a little piece of advice for y'all. I'm really close to beating it, all I have left is Karen and Lance. Sorry I didn't keep up with my journal but I'm lazy :(

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ WaterBomb

I beat ya too it.

Used Espeon in my previous challenge. Died in kanto thanks to a crit. Will update my NEW HG nuzlocke soon once I get a decent plot

If you can trade-evolve and are willing to give up Eevee (or get insanely lucky), Alakazam does even better since it can learn Psychic before level 50 IIRC.

In other news, still grinding -_-

Im going to have a go on Crystal version this will be my first go so hopefully it will be ok. At the moment the rules are just the basic rules.
After looking at Zombeh's and The Shiny Umbreon's update i will probally paste screenshots in as updates as im not amazingly creative and i thought their updates looked pretty neat and tidy.

I'll be picking Chikorita as my starter.
Wish me luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)